Reduk's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Reduk74

Reduk's daily check-in

Post by Reduk74 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Okay...so this is my first post....hope I've done it right.

I started no essing on Monday (even though I stumbled across the nosdiet several months ago) and I have had five successes so far. What I didn't anticipate was how hard my first S day would be. I walked back and forth to the fridge about five times this morning before finally deciding on bacon and toast with preserves.

I know I am already starting to build some better habits and am terrified that by having anything I want the next two days will make it difficult to start back up on Monday. Has this been the case with anyone else?

I know I am starting to get in a routine because by Thursday I was no longer reaching for the milk jug every time I wanted a snack....I just didn't crave the snacks anymore.

No essing also showed me how often I casually pop food in my mouth without even realizing it. On both Monday and Tuesday I was already chewing on some morsel of my kids meal before I even realized I had done it.....I still counted these as success days as it really opened my eyes as to what I was doing when I had never even noticed it before and now it is a conscience effort every time I eat!

Any advice for S days.....I know they are important but I also don't want them (especially these first few) being a stumbling block to my ultimate success.

Cheers, Heather

r.jean

Welcome

Post by r.jean » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

After almost 3 months, my no S days are not all that different than my other days. I often eat 4 smaller meals rather than 3 regular meals on S days, but I rarely snack and rarely eat sweets. Yet it is nice to have these days and be able to splurge if I feel like it.

NOW BACK TO THE EARLY S DAYS. Some of my early S days were pretty wild. Yet, I was always able to get back on track on Monday.

So I guess what I am saying is that I just followed the basic rules and let nature take it's course. Gradually it all worked out, and I am still losing weight. Just like you caught yourself snacking on your kids' leftovers, you will start seeing other bad habits and eliminating them. I am definitely eating a lot healthier than I was before.

Exercise has also improved.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Reduk74

Post by Reduk74 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:19 am

Did okay today actually. I had one small soda and one mini cupcake....a cupcake is already a mini-cake...wth is up with mini cupcakes?

Besides these two sweets/snacks I just had my three regular meals and otherwise just stayed busy at work.

I partially own a Play Cafe and supervised three birthday parties so a little pat on the back for not gorging on birthday cake! Ha!

R.Jean....tysm for the encouragement I really needed it today....now I'm not sure exactly what I was so worried about! :lol:

One day at a time.

Reduk74

I did it!

Post by Reduk74 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:47 am

I got through my S days without them becoming a gorgefest and got right back on track today. I feel much better knowing I can take a couple of S days and jump right back into the M-F routine/habits.

In the past any variance in my diet was a slippery slope into eating whenever, whatever, and however much I want. No wonder the scales kept creeping up!

Not this time! Now I know I can eat what I wish....as long as it is a limited amount (one plate) at a specified time (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Guess what? The scales went down this week! Why didn't I start following NoS when I first came across it? And considering my husband is "naturally" thin and this is basically how he eats.....why didn't it occur to me before? :roll:

Oh well...now for the rest of my life.......

Day 1. Success
Day 2. Success
Day 3. Success
Day 4. Success
Day 5. Success
Day 6. S Day
Day 7. S Day
Day 8. Success
Day 9. Success ok so I went back for more cornbread but the beans were icky and I didn't eat them.
Day 10. Success
Day 11. Failure. I had sweet and sour sauce at dinner.
Day 12. Success
Day 13. S Day
Day 14. S Day
Day 15. Success

Working on joining that 21 day club

Reduk74

Post by Reduk74 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:35 am

Only one failed day in fifteen. Not bad. Considering the stress over my upcoming surgery.

I also have been doing research on ADHD and it's like reading a biography! :shock:
I just can't believe it has taken so long for me to figure it out....me anyhow. my mom and my granny both said "well, yeah.". Ummmmm....thanks for letting me in on the secret you two! :roll:

Unrelated, but I really feel proud of myself for sticking with plan with the emotional things going on right now.

Reduk74

Post by Reduk74 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 am

Day. 16 Failure
Day. 17 success

I don't quite understand how I can so mindless eat something that it doesn't even register until after the fact. Not once, but twice on Tuesday I ate off of my childrens' plates. Really?!?! It wasn't even until I had two or three bites that I realized what I was doing! And I did it twice. So a big fat red fail for me for Tuesday. Oh well.....start again.

On Wednesday I had an S event. It was an employees birthday and we are a close group so I ate a sugary donut my business partner brought in for her. We so far only have 5 employees so it is not like I will be taking hundredsnof employees bdays as Special days. Lol