imprisonedbeauty's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ImprisonedBeauty

imprisonedbeauty's Daily Check In

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 am

Here I go!

Today was an S Day. What a great way to start off! :D
Taking it one small step at a time.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:02 am

Love the name! :D

Good luck on your No S journey - you're gonna love it!

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:04 am

Thank you, gk! ♥

Today, my first No-S Day, was a success! :D It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be... probably because I spent the last week binging on sweets (since I knew I was going to have to give them up for most of the time) and it had made me kind of sick. :oops: I was so ready to begin the No-S Plan! I am anxious to see how the rest of this week goes...

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 am

My second day of No-S was a success! It was much harder than yesterday. The sick feeling was all gone and my sugar cravings were back in full force. A couple of times that I had a craving for sweets, I came onto this forum and lurked about... reading the posts reminded me of what I am doing and why I am doing it, and strengthened my resolve. I am so glad I found this place!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:13 am

I've often found the second day of any diet to be the hardest, too.

I'm having alot more luck this time around because I am bombarding myself with health/fitness magazines and frequently reading the No S forum - it does make a difference, doesn't it?!

You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54 am

Yes, this forum does make a huge difference! It's so nice to know so many others are going through the same thing, and for us all to be able to share our experiences, advice, and encouragement. The HabitCal is a big help too... I know I might not have done as well if it weren't for the dread of marking a date red! Your encouragement means a lot to me, gk... Thank you! ♥

My third day of No-S was a success! The cravings weren't as bad today, and my hunger in between meals seems to be lessening. Tomorrow and the next day are S days (Saturday and Sunday). I am looking forward to them, though I fear they will make next week's N days seem just as hard as this week's N days were...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:31 am

Good luck, hon and wishing you every success on the No S Diet. Sounds like you're doing fantastic! Great stuff!! It does get better with time, believe me. (Coming from a self-confessed sweet freak :lol: )

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am

Thank you, NoSRocks, it's so good to hear that!

The fourth and fifth days were S Days (Saturday and Sunday). Oh sweet S Days, how I love them. ♥

My sixth day of No-S was a disaster. :( Ugh... I was feeling depressed and frustrated which of course led me to crave sweets, and I tried to fight but I lost and had a delicious but terrible sweet snack. *sigh* Well, tomorrow is a new day. I can do better...

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 am

One step back after five steps forward isn't a catastrophe. You are right, tomorrow is another day.
imprisonedbeauty wrote:Thank you, NoSRocks, it's so good to hear that!

The fourth and fifth days were S Days (Saturday and Sunday). Oh sweet S Days, how I love them. ♥

My sixth day of No-S was a disaster. :( Ugh... I was feeling depressed and frustrated which of course led me to crave sweets, and I tried to fight but I lost and had a delicious but terrible sweet snack. *sigh* Well, tomorrow is a new day. I can do better...
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm

imprisonedbeauty wrote:I tried to fight but I lost and had a delicious but terrible sweet snack. *sigh* Well, tomorrow is a new day. I can do better...
Just one sweet snack? Heck, that could almost be considered a victory. The fact that you didn't continue snacking when you were feeling down, in my book, is a huge step forward!! :D I know firsthand how hard it is to not cheat, let alone stop after one sweet, when you're feeling down. Good job showing willpower with that! :)

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you, Kevin and gk! :D

Today was another S Day. Tomorrow I go at it again, and I'll do it right.

r.jean

Welcome

Post by r.jean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:44 am

Welcome and best of luck. Everyone is so encouraging here. Keep checking in and you will definitely get the support and encouragement that you need.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 am

Thank you, r.jean!

My ninth day on the No-S Plan was a success! I thought about sweets and snacks A LOT today, but I didn't have any. I didn't have any internal battles over whether or not to have an S either... I just knew that I couldn't. I stared right at those delicious homemade treats sitting in the fridge and thought 'Nope, I can't have those.' and went on about my business. I guess those good habits are starting to form. :) I just need to spread those habits into Mondays and Tuesdays too.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 am

My tenth day was a success! It was just the same as yesterday in terms of how I felt and did.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 am

My eleventh day was a success! Today was a bit easier. :)

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 am

My twelfth and thirteenth days were S Days (Saturday and Sunday). I didn't feel the need to binge as much as I did last weekend.

My fourteenth day was a huge success! I baked cupcakes today and did not lick the utensils/bowls or eat any batter/frosting (aside from a tiny amount I needed to taste test to make sure it was good) or eat any cupcakes!!! I think I felt better after doing that than I would have if I had indulged. Now I really know that I can do this! :D

r.jean

It gets easier

Post by r.jean » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Way to go!!

It does get easier as time goes on, but don't beat yourself up if you slip up some days. That will happen too!!
Maintenance is progress.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 am

Thank you, r.jean! Yes, I'll definitely try not to beat myself up when I slip. :)

My fifteenth day was an S Day.

My sixteenth day was a success! I seriously thought about taking an S Day today... it is my Dad's birthday after all, however he and I live in different states and it wouldn't have made much sense for me to sit here by myself and eat a piece of cake to celebrate it. I think in my head I was just trying to find any excuse to have sweets. I went through the same thing about tomorrow, St. Patrick's Day which I don't 'really' celebrate, but thanks to the forum I won't be doing that either. The sweets addict inside of me is trying to get clever, but it won't work on me. 8)

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 am

My seventeenth day was a success! I was really stressed today, so it was a great accomplishment that I didn't actually give into any desire for Ss that came as a result of my mental state. My cravings seem to be becoming more passing thoughts of 'I need this S' or 'I should have that S,' rather than strong feelings of 'omg, I really have to have this now.' It has been way easier to brush off the thoughts in the back of my head than it was to fight the major cravings.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 am

Sounds like you're doing fabulous, beauty - way to go!!

PS: Just curious - wondered if you were/are going to weigh yourself or just going by the fit of your clothes. I'm a bit of a scale - o - holic so I apologize for bringing this up however, I do admire others' resolve to keep away from them for any period of time.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks, NoSRocks!
I am actually a scale-o-holic myself! I don't know why, but I just *need* to keep track of that number. I used to go scale stepping every single day... but I've learned through information here and by looking back on my own experience that it's not such a good idea. I try to limit myself to weighing in once at the end of every week. How often do you weigh yourself?

My eighteenth day was a failure. I had to do something that really scared the sh*t outta me (it's a long story that I don't feel like writing out, but I am not exaggerating the fear), and when it was over I felt the need to reward myself with sweet treats. They made me feel better, and then I took a couple more for good measure. I honestly didn't feel particularly bad about it until I had to come on here and mark a HabitCal/Check-in day with a big red failure. Is that bad? Well, I've been doing pretty good for a newbie so far I think, so I'm just going to move on and keep trying my best.

r.jean

The right attitude

Post by r.jean » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 am

You have the right attitude. Just accept the fact that reds will happen at times and move on.

After all, this is a lifetime plan, not just a temporary diet.....
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:11 am

Again, very wise words from r.jean - couldn't have said it better myself, hon.

But it's hard not to BE hard on ourselves when we've had all those years of diet conditioning behind us, isn't it?

Re: weighing myself: It kinda varies for me. There was a time I managed to wean myself off of the scales for around 4 or 5 years, can you believe?? At that time, I didn't have a car - was walking everywhere - as a result, and from looking at photos etc, I can tell I was probably 30 or so lbs slimmer than today. I lived in a different state from where I currently reside and there were far more opportunities for walking there. For once in my life, I was happy and contented about my body image... nuff said!! Recently I think I've been weighing more than usual. Perhaps once every second day. Although when I first started the No S Diet and was seeing good results, I think I was weighing once or twice a DAY because I couldn't believe my good fortune :lol:
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am

Wise words indeed r.jean! I'm trying hard to keep my focus on the healthy lifestyle change of No S rather than the weight I really want to lose.
Wow, NoSRocks, looks like you've been to both extremes in scale stepping!

My nineteenth and twentieth days were S Days (Saturday and Sunday).

My 21st day was a success!

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 am

My 22nd day was a failure. I let my emotions and the cravings caused by them get the best of me again. Oh well, moving on now...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:03 am

Had a bad day myself too. Same reasons: emotional/stressful day. Got tempted and caved in to cheer myself up. At the time, I enjoyed what i was eating, but I am having to deal with the repercussions now and it doesn't seem worth it! Never mind, good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure we'll do great!!

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 am

My 23rd day was a failure. Oh noes, two failures in a row! :oops: I was just mentally worn out today from all of my recent stress/emotional overload... I didn't have it in me to deprive myself of anything. I feel better now though, and I think tomorrow is going to be a good day!

Thanks for the support, NoSRocks. I'll just take that good luck for tomorrow since I certainly didn't use it today. :) I hope you did better today than I did!
NoSRocks wrote:At the time, I enjoyed what i was eating, but I am having to deal with the repercussions now and it doesn't seem worth it!
This! I keep going through that cycle of before = must have this/after = that wasn't worth it, and I'm wondering when I will finally learn!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 am

Hi beauty! Just popped in to send a few well deserved (((((((((((((hugs)))))) your way. Try not to be too hard on yourself (I know, easier said than done) you are still doing great and no, it is not easy even with an eating plan as sane and wonderful as No S!!

Today was better ...HOWEVER after my binge session yesterday boy did I find my cravings stronger than ever today - stronger than they've been since I restarted. I managed somehow not to give in to the cravings...but it was a mighty close thing.

Here's wishing us both all the best for a successful N Day. Only a few days to go till the weekend.!!

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:15 am

My 24th day was a success! I had a lot of cravings today, but I kept myself occupied and away from the goodies. It feels good to be back in the green! :D

(((((hugs))))) back NoSRocks! Congrats to you on getting back to the routine in spite of those cravings. Only one more N Day to go this week!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks again! Well done on getting back on the saddle yourself. It isn't easy but we DID it. Yes, today was a successful day for me too, I'm pleased to report. Fingers crossed I am back on track now. No plans to weigh myself for at least a week or two though. My "official" monthly weigh in was due yesterday (22nd March) but I think it was better I left off the scale after my binge.
Gosh, I keep referring to my overeating episode as a binge!! When I think of what I used to eat when I was younger.... a great deal more than yesterday that's for sure. I wasn't exactly a stick insect then either but I definitely got away with it more. If I ate sensibly for a day or two, it would usually come off pretty quickly too. As for exercise in those days....excercise! What exercise??!! :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :wink:

GOOD LUCK !!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello and see how you've been doing. Looks like you're doing awesome! Couple of bumps down the road, but you've jumped right back on track. Good job!

I've been gone on vacation for awhile, and decided to take a break from No S while we were traveling, so I'm definately ready to be back on track!

Keep up the great work! :D

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 am

NoSRocks, I'm glad you said that. I've been having trouble lately, but if I think about it I'm still doing a lot better than before I started No-S... I used to eat countless snacks and sweets every single day without a second thought! When I was younger, I too would eat all sorts of junk, never exercise, and not gain a pound... oh how I miss those days! Well, at least we can take comfort in the fact that we're living a heathier lifestyle now.
Thanks for the support, gk! It always does feel good to get back on No S after a few days without. ♥
Good luck to both of you! :)

My 25th day was a success!
My 26th and 27th days were S Days (Saturday and Sunday).
My 28th day was a success!
My 29th day was a failure. Those darn emotions got to me again! Sad I need to find something other than sweets that will make me feel better... music doesn't do anything for me, and I can't always take a walk whenever I feel the need... I just don't know.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 am

My 30th day was a success!

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 am

imprisonedbeauty wrote: My 29th day was a failure. Those darn emotions got to me again! Sad I need to find something other than sweets that will make me feel better... music doesn't do anything for me, and I can't always take a walk whenever I feel the need... I just don't know.
I just wanted to wish you luck finding a good default for emotions - I know emotional eating is something I've struggled with. Showers are one thing that works really well for me. They tend to calm me down PLUS you can't eat in the shower - or well, I guess you could...

Also silly games can be good. My current favorite is Plants vs Zombies. Its just so absurd.

Another trick is mouth wash, when I start to worry about resisting stress cravings, I use mouth wash. The taste usually keeps me in line long enough for the worst of the cravings to pass.

Congrats on a successful day 30, keep it up, you can do it! :-)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:25 am

Sienna, you are awesome! Those are great ideas; I am going to try them out. Thanks so much! :)

Today was a success! Tomorrow begins a new month, and I am going to strive to do better at No-S than I did this month. I think I've got the basics down, I just need to learn to control my emotional eating slip-ups and maybe start trying to reduce my dinner portion sizes as well as my s-day sweets intake. Hopefully the weather will start being nice so I can start walking again and begin to lose some weight.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm a big-time emotional eater as well. Very hard habit to break (I have yet to find the cure.)

What's helped me the most lately is just stepping outside. Even if I don't have much time, just stepping outside a few minutes (for me when I let the dogs out for a bit) can really alter my willpower. Something about breathing in that fresh air and taking a minute to look around at the grass turning greener and the pretty blue sky can work wonders.

Good luck this month! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun May 22, 2011 7:00 pm

How are your modifications working for you? Good I hope.
Maintenance is progress.

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

My modifications are working wonderfully! I've been following them without fail and I am learning a lot, including how to control myself when it comes to food. I finally feel like I'm forming some good habits... It's beginning to feel strange to think of having food at some random time/for any reason other than hunger or to think of not taking/not being able to take 15 minutes to do some exercise. I am very happy with this plan. :D

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm

I agree stress eating really sucks. I haven't found an answer yet either. I think we all grew up learning to deal with "I'm scared, lonely, sad, frustrated, angry etc." with getting a cookie, getting an ice cream cone or eating a pile of chips. Those were all things we did to make ourselves feel better and they worked but were self-destructive. They are all quick fixes, pleasant and don't require us to do much. Dealing with unpleasant feelings and taking care of ourselves is hard work. I have been opting for the quick easy fix for many years. It is hard to unlearn sugar/carb highs and replace them with a walk, nap, hug, craft, music or whatever. It takes more time and the reward isn't immediately apparent. I am working at it but not an easy thing. For me it is up there with giving up smoking and I had a hard time with that as well.

Hang in there, folks. We can do this.
I'm baaaack.

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 am

imprisonedbeauty wrote:My modifications are working wonderfully! I've been following them without fail and I am learning a lot, including how to control myself when it comes to food. I finally feel like I'm forming some good habits... It's beginning to feel strange to think of having food at some random time/for any reason other than hunger or to think of not taking/not being able to take 15 minutes to do some exercise. I am very happy with this plan. :D
Wow!! I dropped in to see how you were doing and was very impressed. You're doing wonderfully! Just to be able to make that statement means you are well on your way to accomplishing what everyone is here to do....to learn to be in control of your eating habits and not the other way around......to view food as nourishment that is to be enjoyed but not overindulged.

Someday I hope there will be a post on my daily check in that is similar to yours. Very inspirational! Awesome job! Keep it up! :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat May 28, 2011 2:38 pm

From your May Challenge, it looks like you are doing very well taking it a little slower. Drastic changes are not sustainable as we all know from so many failed attempts.

Keep it up!
Maintenance is progress.