Keelybird's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Keelybird

Keelybird's Daily Check In

Post by Keelybird » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Day One was OK. Had a slice of banana bread as dessert. So tho it was sweet, it was on the plate. I felt in control.

Day Two was NOT good. I had no snacks all day. Very big! Sitting in the cubicle at work, alone, with work I dislike, snacks have become my pacifier. But I made it!

After dinner, I had 2 almond cookies as dessert. OK. Then had a big chunk of zucchini bread. Then a small glass of sweet red wine. Then had such bad leg cramps that I downed 8 oz. of Gatorade. Too much after dinner!

On the positive, I joined Curves. Sweated big time just doing 2 circuits. Not my ideal exercise choice. But it feels safe, convenient, and do-able.

Overall, more success than failure. I'll get there!

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Day 3 was interesting. The morning was fine, breakfast, no snacks, water.

But I had a job interview at 1:00. Very nervous, had to dress, drive 30 min. So no lunch. Interview lasted 2 hours, with tests and 3 separate interviews. By time I made it home, it was 5:00.

DH and I went to dinner at Applebee's. I had a margarita that made me ill, so brought most of salad home. Had 2 slices of zucchini bread (thank goodness it's gone!) and a small glass of Gatorade. Still having terrible leg/foot cramps.

So I'm calling it a FAILURE because I ate sweets. Started a new HabitCal for Snacks, so I can hope to see some successes.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Just hang in there, pretty soon it will become routine.

And, good luck with the job. :wink:
Berry

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Monday was a success! No Snacks and no sweets! No seconds isn't a challenge.

And I went to Curves. Exercise is such a chore!

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Tuesday was a failure. I use food for comfort, got to break that habit! Work was unbelievably overwhelming! And all I could think about was eating chocolat. So I did.

Worked overtime, so didn't exercise either.

Glad it's behind me.

Keelybird

Starting again

Post by Keelybird » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:25 am

I'm feeling more focused. I love spring and summer!

So far, I have 3 days with no sugar. And today, no snacks. Even at work. I hate that cubicle. Actually counted the minutes till I could leave.

Anyway, I feel like a success! :D

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Hang in there!

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks, WHo Me. I am hanging in there! Second day without snacks and 4th without sugar! Hope it becomes easier.

Funny how motivation works. Sometimes we have it and sometimes we don't. :?

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 am

Another success day!

I really wasn't craving snacks today. Job was a little more interesting, so the cubicle wasn't so despising.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 pm

SUCCESS!

And, 7days without sugar!!! :D

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Good for you!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 pm

good luck keelybird :)
i thought i'd suggest that you might want to ditch the gatorade, and instead have a banana a day to get in your potassium. again that's just me, but possibly better than gatorade. my son runs 4 to 6 miles a day and before he started having a banana a day, he had a lot of cramps.. he's barely complaining at all now. in addition, to reduce leg cramps you might also want to consider taking a calcium/magnesium supplement. cramps can often be caused by a deficiency of those minerals.
congrats on avoiding snacking when bored at work.
well done! :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have to be really careful with the shoes I wear. That seems to be the trigger. Crocs are the best, but if I wear the really flat ones, I get the cramps. They feel like shin splints, but aren't. I have extensive anatomy education/experience and can not figure them out!

Anyway, yes I eat bananas each week, but not each day. I found a "gatorade" type drink that is sugar-free. And if I'm in a lot of pain, a small glass seems to help.

All in all, the situation is improving. If I can get off some major weight (like 50#), I believe I'll feel much better.

As for Saturday, it was a SUCCESS. I did have a McD apple pie with lunch. And 2 small handfuls of nuts, 1 of peanuts and 1 of almonds - both dry roasted.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am

Well, Sunday was interesting. I felt the need to make it an S day, just because I could. And I found that I was eating more than I really wanted to because I knew I couldn't eat again until the next meal.

Interesting. I will try to avoid doing that again. But I made it a week, following no-S. Cool!

Today was good. Back on track. :P

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 am

I'm half-way to my goal of 3 weeks. Seems I vacillate from being really hungry to being really stuffed. It is falling into a predictable pattern, which is good because I can anticipate what will happen when. And that makes it controllable for me. I feel 'in control', which I like.

So,anyway, today was another SUCCESS.

My weekend plan is to stay on no-S and avoid making it an S-day. I have no big plans, so I believe I can avoid sugar.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sun May 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Yesterday was difficult. I did have a couple small handfulls of peanuts. And I had a second lo-carb bar. Really antsy and unsatisfied.

Meals were heavier, too. No seconds, but not healthy choices.

This morning isn't feeling much better.

At least the sun is out, which helps the mood.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 am

Monday was a SUCCESS.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Wed May 18, 2011 12:28 am

Still doing well. Another SUCCESS day!

Jan in Georgia

Post by Jan in Georgia » Wed May 18, 2011 1:22 am

Wow! Sounds like you are doing quite well. Good job!
5 feet, 2 inches (on a good day with fluffy hair)
SW: 208 (5/9/11)
1st 10% goal: 187.2
2nd 10% goal: 168.5
3rd 10% goal: 151.6

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 am

Thanks, Jan. Wish the scale reflected my success. I'm feeling great about my behavioral changes. Now working on healthier food choices and portion control.

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 am

I made the shift from just No S to also following Weight Watchers points. The scale dropped 5#!!!

I didn't really change much, just write it down now. And my quantities are certainly less, which is what I needed to do.

I also upped my water consumption.

Feeling very motivated and SUCCESSful!!!!

Keelybird

Post by Keelybird » Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm

SUCCESS!!

I have been so HAPPY. I suspect it is the weather and sunshine ( always believed that I have SAD). But I think that cutting out the candy and junk food has helped. I never realize how depressed I am until I'm not.

Anyway, I foresee a successful summer!