Motorin's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

motorin

Motorin's check in

Post by motorin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Time to try this out. I just re-started No S last Tuesday (April 26). I was successful every day except for last night. I have a history of binge eating (especially at night) and after relaxing with a few beers (it's Friday) I lost my self-control. I ate a plate of nachos, some Pirate's Booty cheese puffs, and some wheat thins with cheese (was I cheese deprived or something??).

I am hoping this check in will help me stay accountable and honest with myself. I plan on recording the food I eat, even on S days. I know this is tedious but it is certainly better than counting calories and/or measuring food. Yuck. Just because in the past I have had many many S days gone wild, I think this could help. Then I also can't "hide" what I am eating.

On the plus-side I did follow No S for 3 days religiously and I also exercised for 5 days (15 minutes) and walked very regularly.
Last edited by motorin on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motorin

Post by motorin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Breakfast = 3 donuts and some berries.
Snack 1 = cheese curds
Lunch = Chicken sausage and 3 bean salad
Snack 2 = cheese curds and 1/2 of an unfrosted cupcake
Snack 3 = a now frosted cupcake
Dinner = Chicken mole and a cupcake for dessert

It's nice to get it all out there!
Last edited by motorin on Sun May 01, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Oh man oh man.... I do love cheese curds.

motorin

Post by motorin » Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 am

I live in WI so they are really hard to resist.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 am

What are cheese curds?!

motorin

Post by motorin » Sun May 01, 2011 12:49 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curds

There basically little chunks of cheese. You can also get the fried at restaurants as a very unhealthy (but extraordinarily delicious) appetizer.

motorin

Post by motorin » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 pm

I am already feeling that this approach (of recording what I eat) could be tedious and lead to failure. I just checked out Reinhard's everyday systems site and found this guideline for his "everyday system"

"No keeping track of things. The system shouldn't require you to keep track of anything beyond the day of the week, what planet you are on, etc. You have too many things to keep track of already. Sometimes it's interesting to keep track of things for a week or two. But it gets unbearably boring and onerous fast. "

There is a lot of wisdom in this and I know i have failed spectacularly at systems like WW in the past (after some initial success, like most people).

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 01, 2011 4:23 pm

There's no need to record what you eat if it's not something you find helpful - maybe try using the habitcal. You just record green, red and S days and it's a great visual check of how you are doing habitwise without the faff :)