gk check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks milliem......but, unfortunately, I'm 3/4 the way through my 2nd day on this new plan and suddenly have the urge to chuck it all once and for all, dive into the goodies and just accept my lack of willpower. (Geez.....that's so unlike me :roll: ).

But, then I remembered how the last time I weighed this much I was with child and in my third trimester. Nice.

Those dang diet temper tantrums.....unfortunately, unlike the terrible two's, I fear I will never grow out of them. Grrrr.... :x
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 am

Day 2 - Tuesday - Success

Well, I made it.....barely. I did have one piece of extra chocolate, but I'm not gonna make that turn this day into a failure, as I can have sweets, just not seconds.

I think the reason I wanted to turn to snacking all day and eventually bingeing already is because I didn't change things as much as I should have. I'm still in the old mindframe of "diet", with my designated meal and snack times, food journaling, and having certain rules of what to eat at each meal and snack. I'm supposed to be doing things different this time, so I guess I should follow through all the way.....

I have to remember that this diet is supposed to be about the SIMPLICITY of it all. So....maybe food journaling and designated meal and snack times is tricking my body into thinking "deprivation!", so even though I'm only having to stick to one S, I feel like it's more than that. (WOW - only one day seems to make such a difference for me - what the heck happened to my contentment from yesterday?!?!)

On the main bulletin board DaveMc attached a post from someone who had attacked the S's one at a time, starting with something as simple as no eating after 8 pm. I think, as usual, I'm overthinking this. Maybe if I just say "no seconds for 21 days" and just leave it at that, instead of analyzing everything else I do during the day, and sneaking in all the extra little rules along the way, I won't end up in binge mode. Everything will even out in the end (or so I'm told). However, I need to remember Reinhard's advice of "don't be an idiot", which trumps any success at No Seconds for the day and will give an automatic fail!

So with that in mind, I'm going to check in every day, but with no food journal and just a simple thought for the day and if I succeeded in my ONE goal of No seconds for that day.

This is not difficult! I am only sticking to ONE S, for crying out loud. I can do this at least!!!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:31 am

Just keep persevering!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

snapdragon wrote:Just keep persevering!!!!

You know, if I had tried any other diet this many times and failed, I would have quit long ago. For some reason, I just CAN'T let this one go. I think it's because deep down I know this isn't an unrealistic diet. This diet can be followed anywhere, with any schedule, using any foods, no measuring, no cost....it's just so SIMPLE. I'm digging my heels in - I REFUSE to give this up!

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Day 3 - Wednesday - Success

Easier today. Made my meals a little fuller (not heaping or stacked at all, just full to the rim of the plate), which helped with snacking.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:48 pm

One of the reasons no S works for me is not having to weigh anything or count anything or write down what I eat. Daily journalling is a chore for me. I have done some daily journalling about exercise on the monthly challenges but prefer a looser style. Many days I only do my habit cal and that is it.

So...needless to say, I think your idea of giving up the food log is a good idea. You can use that time for a couple extra minutes of walking.

:wink:
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

Simpler is often better :) Hope your week is going well!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks for your posts, r.jean and milliem! :)

Day 4 - Thursday - Fail

I did well until late at night. The kids were in bed and my husband was staying with a friend. My favorite show was ti-vo'd and ready to go.....it was just too tempting not to enjoy TOO many treats.

Oh well! Back to it today. I don't know if you're technically supposed to start over from Day 1 when you fail, or just continue onward. I think I'll start over, because if I make it to Day 21 but have alot of fails, that isn't a very good base for the next S phase. May take alot longer that way, but it'll be better in the end, I think. At this point, I'm in no hurry. I feel alot more relaxed about it now. I figure as long as I'm trying, I'm progressing, as I'm figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'll get there, when I get there. No worries. 8)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I cannot advise you on the whole 21 day thing because that is another one of those tracking things... I was never sure if 21 days was 21 green days not counting weekends or just 21 days straight. I do not often make it 21 days without having a slip that throws me off so trying for 21 days was just depressing.

This is why no S works so well for me (the non-tracking person) yet is fine for others than like to add that extra accountability.

I agree with you that being relaxed about it makes it sustainable and makes it a lifetime habit rather than a diet.
Maintenance is progress.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:42 am

It's great that you're feeling more relaxed about your eating and NoS :) Maybe stick to 21 days from the start, and see how you feel after the 3 weeks are up? If your weeks have got easier and your last week was pretty green, you might want to move on to adding another 'S' to avoid, if you're still feeling like you need time to build habits, you can add another week.

Being flexible is one of the best things about NoS for me, if I was 'restarting' every time I had a fail I'd worry it would de-motivate me!

Mark it and move on as they say :)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks milliem and r.jean :)

I'm going to try a different approach. Not going to jinx it by laying it all out. (I've seemed to have started that habit....I declare my new approach, how it's so much better, and then fail miserably :) ). Not going to log in daily either. Will drop by later though to report how it's going...... :D

Take care all. Talk to you later!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Good luck gk, I hope your Mystery Approach (TM) goes well :)

gk

Post by gk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:35 am

Hello all! I'm back!

My new approach didn't work out so well, so I've decided to just jump in with both feet and go vanilla again. Out of all my varied attempts over this past year, vanilla is the only one that I stuck to the longest with the most results.

As usual, I will start a new thread come Monday, when I start No S-ing again. If I'm gonna start fresh, I have to get rid of all the baggage hanging over me. :D (Will weigh in then....)

Good to be back!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 am

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing you around.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:23 pm

r.jean wrote:Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing you around.
Thanks! :)
Last edited by gk on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Talk about an eye-opener......

Had to go to a wedding this weekend. Figured I'd just wear the same outfit that I wore to my nephew's graduation in May. Pants TOO tight. While grumbling, I rummaged around in my closet for a pair of pants that would fit.....grabbed one and tried it on....it was slightly loose but fit SO much more comfortably and looked good on. Looked at the size tag............OH. MY. GAWD. .......my jaw instantly dropped to my knees and I was left speechless. I was "comfortably" wearing the same pants that I bought to dress up in after the birth of my last child 6 years ago!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I knew I had gained weight, and I had been wearing my "fat shorts" all summer, but for some reason, having to wear my post-child birth dress slacks really brought it home for me. Talk about incentive to stick to this!!!

Just a little more venting here......I've looked back on the past couple of years and have noticed that I've inherited my mother's figure. She's always groaned about having a "spider" figure, and it looks like I'm about to do the same.......why is it that some people gain weight all over and some people struggle with the "spider effect"???? In the past 5 years, I've gained about 20 lbs. or so, and surprisingly my arms and legs look pretty much the same. This gradual blossoming of the mid-section is SO ANNOYING. Has anyone else tried to find clothes when part of your body is a 10/12 and the other part is screaming for a size 14?? Grrrrrr....... :x Sadly, I can't blame it all on turning 40 this summer (yikes). If my mouth wouldn't turn into a Hoover late at night, odds are the spider effect wouldn't be QUITE as noticeable.....ya think??? :wink:

Ok, venting done. Sure feel better. :) I guess there's a simple solution to my above-ranting-------eating better and exercising-------so, I might as well hop to it. See you all tomorrow on my new thread!! :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Welcome back gk :)

Yeah I'm with you on having a body shape that doesn't always fit your 'typical' outfits (but then who does?!) Mind you my main problem is my massive bum and thighs, hehe, I'm like a strange mixture between an hourglass and a pear shape.... it makes finding flattering clothes pretty difficult!!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 am

milliem wrote:Welcome back gk :)

Yeah I'm with you on having a body shape that doesn't always fit your 'typical' outfits (but then who does?!) Mind you my main problem is my massive bum and thighs, hehe, I'm like a strange mixture between an hourglass and a pear shape.... it makes finding flattering clothes pretty difficult!!
Thanks! Good to be back!

Yeah, hopefully, over this next year our pear shape will transform into an exquisite hourglass and our size woes will be over. Sounds good, doesn't it?!? :)