Owlface

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

owlface

Owlface

Post by owlface » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Wasn't really sure if daily check-ins were for me, but I guess I can start and see what happens. I do feel the need for a little more accountability. I want to be in that 21 Day Club!
01NOV2014
OPEN

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:07 am

Good luck owlface, I haven't made the 21 Day club yet but the extra accountability does seem to help keep the fails a bit more manageable.

owlface

Post by owlface » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:02 am

Thank you for the encouragement, gingerpie!

DAY 1 of 21 day challenge
SUCCESS
Today was a bit difficult. The holidays really threw off my rhythm. I am starting to kind of worry about this flavored coffee (a Christmas gift). I am drinking it like water (with milk and sugar). Coffee with milk and sugar already felt like a borderline drink for me. I don't want to tamper too much and add unnecessary rules, but I don't want to feel guilty either. I guess I will see if the "problem" rights itself or not.
Otherwise, I've been really piling my plates. I hope this will also right itself eventually...
01NOV2014
OPEN

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 am

Good luck!

I think worry about the flavoured coffee after the 21 days (whether or not you make it to the 21 day club) or even after another couple of 21 days but not before. You might naturally cut back anyways and if not you can tackle it later.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

owlface

Post by owlface » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:11 pm

I like that advice! I'm usually impatient and hasty with these things and I want to fight that inclination with no s.
01NOV2014
OPEN

owlface

Post by owlface » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 am

Day 2 of 21 day challenge.
SUCCESS
Feeling positive. Not really looking forward to the weekend, actually. I don't want to be thrown off my groove! It's my birthday Saturday and hubby wants to make me a cake. I suggested we get a dessert at a restaurant, but he seemed disappointed by that. I know it seems like what's the difference, but I'm still at the point where having sweets in the house during the week easily throws me off. (Good thing hubby isn't a huge sweet eater!)
01NOV2014
OPEN

owlface

Post by owlface » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 am

Ok, I guess I'm not so good at checking in daily... oops. But I'll try to do my best! I'm on day FOUR of greens now.
The coffee doesn't seem to be as big of a deal the past couple of days. :D
I'm just jazzed today to have no s in my life. It's so nice to be able to cut down without feeling deprived or hungry all the time... I love on n days when I just eat breakfast and forget all about food, even when lunch time has come and gone, and I remember I should eat before it's too late and I might "spoil my appetite" for dinner. How did I become this person so fast? I LOVE IT! I can see the obsession with food disappearing and it's so liberating!

But one thing I'm unsure about- for dinner we had enchiladas with cilantro on the side. I took some thinking I could take more if I needed it. Then I started wondering if more cilantro would be seconds? Do condiments count? What if I want another dab of butter in my dry rice? Or more mustard on my sandwich?
01NOV2014
OPEN

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 am

Doing well!

Don't overthink it. If it fits on a plate you're golden!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

owlface

Post by owlface » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:24 pm

OK that's easy :D
01NOV2014
OPEN

owlface

Post by owlface » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Day 5 FAIL! RESTART!
Every time I write something like I did the other day about how things are going good (not just with no s, but with anything in my life in my journal) they immediately get worse. It is a strange pattern I wish I could break, but don't know how. Anyway, it wasn't that big of a deal. I wanted some of my birthday cake. I didn't make an effort to think about how I could have it Saturday or anything, I just though "Eh, piece of cake for a red? Ok." On the plus side, I thought how I could have anything after that because the day was already red and I just didn't see a point in it or have any desire to.
Watch now I'll really crash and burn for writing that... :shock: I hope not!
01NOV2014
OPEN

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 am

Birthdays are what Non-weekend S days are for. (NWS days). On average I have two per month for exceptional food.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

owlface

Post by owlface » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm

My birthday was Saturday, this is leftover cake :P
01NOV2014
OPEN

owlface

Post by owlface » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Majorly crashing and burning since my last post and starting to rethink these daily check ins. I am recording here, on the monthly forum, the habitcal... my Gmail calendar, and home calendar. Overkill much? I'm starting to stress out and over think things. No more daily check ins for now. I don't have time for it.
01NOV2014
OPEN

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:42 am

owlface wrote:My birthday was Saturday, this is leftover cake :P
Lol owlface! My tricks here are: bring the leftovers into work as my colleagues are grateful and I won't eat them. Or freeze the cake.

As for recording: that seems like a lot of recording going on indeed. I think the one reason I check in when I do is the support and tips I got over the years. I don't think I could have done without them. But sometimes I don't check in for a week and sometimes I just read and reply to others.

A daily check-in doesn't need to be daily.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

owlface

Post by owlface » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

I will keep that in mind, eschano. Thank you for your replies!
01NOV2014
OPEN

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi owlface,

Wow, no wonder you are giving some of it up. Maybe pick the one or two places that give the best information/useful feedback but take the least amount of time and thought and stick with those?

Good luck :D

owlface

Post by owlface » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Ya. It was kind of embarrassing to admit all the places I have been recording. I guess I will come back here when I just want the journal experience and then I'll use my home calendar probably.

Otherwise, kind of frustrated with the way this past week went with almost all reds. I guess next week is another opportunity to hit those greens.
01NOV2014
OPEN