Cyndimay's Journal

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cyndimay

Cyndimay's Journal

Post by cyndimay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:16 am

Tomorrow will be the beginning of my second week of the No S diet. I didn't do a spectacular job the first week. I enjoyed and then regretted both snacks and sweets on Thursday and Friday. But as oolala53 pointed out, I did have success on Mon., Tues., and Wed.

Everyday I have been thinking about weight loss vs lifestyle. Do I want quick weight loss with a restrictive diet or slow weight loss with a diet that is sustainable and forgiving? I have asked myself that question everyday and I didn't have an answer. It would be easy to choose slow loss when I compare No S to counting calories, removing fat, or never eating bread but when I look in the mirror I want the extra stuff gone right now! The other diets seem much more tempting when I see my baby belly jiggle.

The reality is that I am almost 40, I let my appetite for sweets control me for years, I have had two babies, I have been holding on to 40 pounds since before the babies, I don't exercise, I have a full-time job....I can't expect things to be as easy as they were 20 years ago.

The other reality is that my personality does not work well with huge changes. I do much better with smaller changes. I get excited about big plans and big results but the excitement fizzles out. I do not lose as much momentum when I change things in little ways over longer periods of time. This is something my husband has pointed out numerous times.

So, the natural conclusion is that I must choose slower weight loss with this diet because it is doable and it will help build long lasting habits.

I will not lie and say that by Friday I won't be tempted do ditch this plan and go for something that promises faster results, but I do know that I don't have to give in to the temptation. I will keep reminding myself that this is what I need. It is what is best for me right now. It will keep me sane.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:06 am

I just wrote a list of all the positive outcomes which happened as a result of this program. I am afraid the weight loss will be painfully slow for me or non existent. I am trying to remember all the good even if the pounds don't fall off. I don't know if this will help you or not, but keep your chin up no matter what the strategy. You are doing great and you can do this!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:20 am

Hi Cyndimay. No worries :) it's not a race it's just life. Wanting the weight off now is something a lot of us have had to work through. I'm sure that you'll find the right path for you if you approach the problem with kindness towards yourself and willingness to learn along the way. Perhaps it would be helpful to commit to a certain length of time (say 3 or 4 weeks) so you get a good feel for no-s and how you respond to it. That way you don't have to think about it or wonder about it at all: you can just do it. Then at the end of your allotted time you reevaluate. To be honest, I think you'll learn to appreciate no-s but maybe I'm just biased.

Good luck to you as you travel your path.