Sinnie Check-In 2007

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Sinnie Check-In 2007

Post by Sinnie » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:33 pm

Since I have recently started No S again, I thought it would be appropriate to re-organize and start this for the new year. It feels clean and a nice way to see my progress as 2007 rolls along.

As I think back to last year of this time, I was 144-ish pounds. This morning I weighed 134 lbs. Pretty cool that I'm ten pounds down from one year ago and I didn't do anything drastic. In fact, I don't even know what I did differently, because I've never really gone hungry. Ah hah, I know, it's the snacking - cutting back on this makes such a huge difference. Those little nibbles you don't even notice.

If I've managed to do No S 60%-70% of the time and get these results, I can only imagine what 80-100% could do!

Here's to the New Year!
Sinnie

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Congratulations and happy new year to you too. Good luck. At 134 pounds, it doesn't sound like you need to lose anything??? Or are you just trying to maintain?
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks, Pangelsue! Happy New Year you as well. I know 134 lbs doesn't sounds like a lot, but trust me I am still quite curvy.
What does your goal look like weight-wise?

As far as today, I counted it as an S day but pretty much followed structure. Yesterday was too much junk food and wine up at a friend's cottage celebrating new years.

Jan 1, 2007

Breakfast:
Granola bar and black coffee.

Lunch:
Trail mix, salad with dressing & cheese, one egg and 2 pieces bacon, bite croissant.

Dinner:
Small piece of beef, mashed potatoes, brocoli, piece of bread with peanut butter and 2 chocolates.

Edited to add that I ended up eating a whole lot more which is unusual for me these days. My morning got screwed up because I didn't have a proper breakfast at the cottage, nor was I hungry for one. I ate dinner too early. Must plan, plan, plan better. I'll let this one go since it was New Years day and a bit thrown as far as normalcy goes.
Last edited by Sinnie on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Gottcha. Height does make the difference. I have about 50 to lose. I would like 60 but I don't see it happening. I would be thrilled with 50. 2007 will see at least part of that goal realized. I am hungry for some success. Good luck to both of us.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:24 pm

Jan 2, 2007

Breakfast:
Small glass of orange juice, apple, egg cooked in olive oil, slice homemade bread toasted with butter, black coffee

Lunch:
Diet coke, trail mix and crackers

Dinner:
Salad; Black beans in a tomato sauce with pieces of chicken breast over rice

*I had some peanuts while cooking

Again tonight I ate after dinner. I feel frustrated because last week before Christmas when it's supposed to be hard I had NO trouble. Why when I start a check in do I do worse? I feel so proud of myself when I do No S and that's why I want to stick it out, but I have a great tendency to quit when I see failure and revert to something else until that too fails and I come back here.

Geez.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm

I intend to make today perfect.

January 3, 2007

Breakfast:
Apple, shredded wheat with 2% milk

Lunch:
Leftovers, buttered toast, peanuts, nectarine

Dinner:
Nectarine, few bites mashed potatoes in gravy-like sauce, apple strudel and cheese strudel

I did also have a nonfat small latte in the afternoon with a friend whom I hadnt seen in a long time.
Last edited by Sinnie on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Great to see your new thread here, Sinnie.

I'm very happy to hear that even 60-70% No-s was so effective.

I think you'll find that 90-100% not only gets you better results, but is even easier, because that kind of consistency really trains habit and makes it automatic.

Best wishes,

Reinhard

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Reinhard,

Thanks so much for stopping by. There's no motivation like hearing from 'the master' and knowing that he's watching :twisted: I totally agree that habit is by far the strongest thing we have on our side when it comes to weight loss.

I've been having a hard time for some reason but I am NOT giving up. I want to be a success story. And this "diet" is too easy and simple to revert to anything else.

Hope you enjoyed the holidays and happy new year! :D

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Today went well. Phew!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Keep it up! :D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:02 pm

You can do it Sinnie!

It's okay if you have a failure once in a while. Makes you all the more stubborn to be successful the next day.

:)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Jan and Shamrock! It really helps to have the support. I'm going to work really hard to do this right...but I've had more downs then ups this week! I guess the main thing is just not to give up because eventually the good days will outweigh the bad.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm a little depressed today. It's so hard not to eat when I feel this way.
So far the day has gone fine nosing, but tonight im meeting friends for drinks and I have to make sure I don't nibble on any appetizers they may order :roll:

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a bad day.

I can't remember who said it on the discussion board but it was a couple weeks back when I first 'discovered' noSing. They said that whatever feelings you are having- sad, angry, whichever- will still be there even if you eat to try to make yourself feel something else. They said to acknowledge the feelings and then move on.

It made sense to me and has helped me, although there have been times when I feel overwhelmed with things and Iwant to eat and eat and eat.
Hang in there.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm

You know what, that is so true. Thinking of it like that helps tremendously. I can eat, but afterwards I'll still be depressed, just depressed and fatter. I guess feeling badly sometimes isn't the worst thing in the world and I shouldn't just pretend those feelings aren't there. Like you say, acknowledge them, deal with them and then move on. I can only imagine how proud of myself I will be when better times come and I managed to positively deal with stress.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Things haven't quite been on track, a really excessive weekend. Monday and Tuesday were fine, but I didn't follow No S parameters. I was up in the middle of the night with a sick dog and weighed myself around 3am. I was up a couple pounds to 137 which infuriated me. I was about to go downstairs and EAT, when I promised myself I'd have a great breakfast if I waited until morning. And that I did, and also weighed myself again. Back down to 135.5 lbs. Must've been the water I drank that put me up prior.

I hate to complain, but I am SO sick of not losing weight (through my own gluttony). I wish I could get back to my week-before-Christmas amazing control.

Anyways, today's menu:

Breakfast:
1/2 grapefruit, few almonds, 1 egg with cheese, 1/2 whole wheat pita

Lunch:
1/2 grapefruit, 1 kiwi, veggie burger w/ 1/2 whole wheat pita, lettace and tomato, 2 pieces of this ricotta/dumpling type thing with drizzle real maple syrup and a glass of skim milk.

Dinner:
Salad with ranch dressing; chow mein with chicken breast, orange juice

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Today appears to have gone well. The reason I say "appears" is because I usually blow it in those last two hours before bedtime :?

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Weight is holding steady, but I want to LOSE so I'm tracking again.

Breakfast:
coffee w/ half and half, yogurt, homemade carrot muffin, orange

Lunch (went to the bakery after church):
Cheesy garlicky bread, deep-fried potato wedges, piece of brie, 3 chocolate covered wafers
-->not the healthiest or most balanced, but it was satisfying and I get full really quickly on this kind of food

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm not sure why I was only able to stick to No S the week before Christmas. It's totally bizarre.

The only difference was I had no stress of school/work. I could do absolutely whatever I wanted on my own holiday schedule.

It seems when I'm stressed/bored with a lot of work, my only solace is food.

:x

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 am

Wednesday February 7, 2007: SUCCESS

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:53 am

Thursday February 8, 2007 - SUCCESS

I would've never expected that I'd get back on track! I always have to ask myself the question "why"? What am I doing differently? It doesn't feel any different except for the lightbulb moment I had reading Reinhard saying not to risk habit for calories. So I don't skimp and I suppose that's why I haven't gotten hungry between meals.

Breakky was a grapefruit, egg fried in olive oil, 1/4 bagel with butter, and one serving oatmeal made with milk.

Lunch was Mr.Sub - I got the chicken souvlaki and had an apple.

Dinner was scraped together - salad, 1/2 toasted bagel with butter, 1/4 tuna sandwich, was supposed to have chili with the bread stuff but it was yucky so I didnt eat it. Finished with piece of bread with peanut butter and a glass of milk. yum.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Friday February 9, 2007

Really stressed out today and frustrated to boot. Thought about eating before lunch but made coffee instead and actually had a good cry. Worked wonders, I feel better and the idea of food is not appealing at all anymore. I think I'll wait and make myself a well-deserved delicious lunch, I may even go to the bakery for fresh bread.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Awww Sinnie!
Sorry about being so down.
Here's a big big hug!!!!
I wanted to say hi to you again and wish you a great 2007!
You are a nice person who deserves good things!
Enjoy your weekend and your nice fresh good bread.
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pm

Hey Deb! Aww it's so great to hear from you. How have you been!?! I hope 2007 has been treatin' ya fantastic so far :D

Today was a FAILURE. I ate between lunch and dinner. Now I just have to watch myself that I don't fall into the old mentality of "it's friday night, i've alraedy screwed up, lets eat gummy worms!"

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:20 pm

So Friday February 9 was a true failure. I ate after dinner when I wasn't hungry, but that lil monster on my shoulder got the best of me. I ate loads of chips (damn, I knew I shouldn't have bought those). I also had trail mix.

I think the solution for me is to not buy snacky foods at all, really. I only crave them when they're in the house and they provide no health benefits.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm really going to try and make today work, so thought it'd be best to write it down. I want to eat, but I'm telling myself how much better lunch will taste. It's actually kinda a good feeling, like my body has switched into fat burning mode. Oh, and weight is still 135 lbs.

Breakfast was yogurt, orange, cheesebun half w/ butter, half cream cheese (didn't finish).

Will update..

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:42 pm

Okay, so yesterday was a....success?

Lunch - 2 small containers of yogurt, pineapple, almonds

Dinner - this is where it gets sticky. It was the last day of classes so we went out celebrate. I had 3 beers. BUt I stayed away from the snacky/greasy foods getting away with only a handful of a chip mix and a few fries for dinner. When I got home about 11pm I virutal plated dinner having a cheese sandwich, some cottage cheese.

Let's just say borderline and call it a mild success. For me, it could have been MUCH worse!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Saturday:

Breakfast - pineapple, coffee with cream, 1 crape with jam

Lunch - split a pad thai dish

Went to starbucks with friend and got an unsweetened iced tea! Proud for that but it tasted kinda sweet. Hope they didnt screw up but regardless couldnt have done lots of damage, it was a small.

Dinner - few bites sausage, potatoes, salad.
Then had some cheerios and milk, and overdid on the rainbow bit cake which made me feel sick.

*I leave for vacation tomorrrrow!!!!!!!!!!!*

Won't be able to update until next Monday.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:30 pm

I returned from my vacation in the early hours of the day. I weighed in this morning and was very disappointed that I've GAINED 2.5 lbs. 137.5 now. I'm just really discouraged because I ate No S basically the whole time. We always split meals and didn't eat dessert, rarely snacked. I guess it was still too much :( I thought i would have at least maintained. Darn it, I maintain when I overeat! What is this!?!?!? I thought I looked a bit thinner, and I guess that's what matters.

Nonetheless, it was so freeing to eat this way over vacation that I'll still keep going on with it. Cross my fingers this gain is some terrible, wicked blip of the scale.

Monday April 30:

Breakfast:
slice of pizza and glass of milk

Lunch:
strawberries, granola bar, 1 cookie, milk, 1/2 pb sandwich

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue May 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Yesterday was a bust, I was just so discouraged that I gave up. Today I'm somewhat back to my senses:

Breakfast - granola bar, lots of strawberries, apple

Lunch - soup, tortilla w/ cheese, caesar salad, gingerale (oops), 2 cookies with milk (oops)

Dinner - at a friends, so TBA

Even if I screw up, this keeps me accountable...

So dinner was a beef stirfry and berries & yogurt for dessert

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Wed. May 2, 2007

Breakfast:
Cornflakes, 2% milk, coffee, apple

Lunch:
Beef, chinese noodles, vegetables, can of regular coke, apple, coffee

Dinner:
tortilla w/ cheese, 1/2 veggie dog, caesar salad, bit of chicken soup, frozen fruit with yogurt, and piece of toast w/ pb and jam w/ tea for dessert.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Thursday was a failure, but today actually went fine. I think I had a pop at lunch, but I think that's it. I'm going out for a coffee, as long as i stick to a coffee, it's all good :)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon May 07, 2007 11:07 am

I ended up failing Friday, then Saturday and Sunday. I thought I should fess up, since there is a discussion about dealing with failures on the main board.

It's because I haven't been putting my whole heart in it, and I get discouraged and distracted easily these days.

Since the binging I am not hungry for brekky this morning...

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Mon May 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Hang in there. Make this week an improvement over last week and keep on truckin'.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon May 07, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks Paul, and luckily I am hanging in there and im'a keep on going.
So far today has been good. I had a banana on the way to a meeting and part way through morning my stomach started grumbling and there were only muffins available. I had half of a extra-large blueberry one.

Lunch was 1/2 a sandwich, lots of a beautiful spinach salad and juice. Lots of people were reaching for leftover sweets from breakfast. Even though I already had the half muffin, I thought of the current thread about failures on here and said to myself "I'm not going to make it any worse."

Now just dinner to deal with...