Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:35 pm

So far so good today.

B - great grains cereal with milk, small skim latte
L - salad with chicken, goat cheese, walnuts, craisins, rasp vin dressing, banana
D - to be determined. I think quite possibly salmon and something.

Very good on water. Planning to walk 20-30 minutes when I get home tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Yesterday came in as a successful Day 2.

Dinner ended up being salmon and mashed potatoes.

And although slowly I walked an hour -- about 3 miles.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:03 am

Day 3 - Success.

B- these chinese bread things that I toasted. It was basically halfway between toast and an english muffin. And a bunch of crackers.
L - oatmeal, few more crackers, orange juice
D - small bbq pork sandwich on potato roll, pasta with cheese and broccoli, salad

So-so on water. Will keep drinking some more of that tonight.

Walked 35 minutes (actually walked about 33 and jogged 2 :) ).

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:42 am

Day 4 - S Day. A mild and successful one. I feel quite good tonight in fact.

B - 3 small pancakes with real maple syrup, sausage, an egg, orange juice
L - some ground beef with fresh peas, a little white rice, melba rounds with a bit of hummus and a bit of cheese (I didn't like the ground beef thing all that much so I only ate part of my meal and then supplemented with the cracker thing)
D - fresh spring roll with dipping sauce, vietnamese pork chop and bit of vietnamese chicken curry, white rice

Snacks - a little choclate covered marzipan, 1 glass of raspberry lambic beer

Good on water. Biked about 20 minutes. Would have gone more, but I'm still not 100% recovered from my back injury and it was causing it to hurt some.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:17 am

Day 5 - S Day. Not too horrible of one. I still am eating a lot more junk I read a lot of other people are on these days, though.

Went out to brunch with a friend and had french toast with maple syrup and bacon.

Then throughout the afternoon had 2 cookies, some cashew brittle, a few indian type cracker things and about 8 ounces of a mango lassi (a sweetened yogurt drink made with mango).

Dinner was 3 pieces of frozen ultra thin pepperoni pizza. A serving and a half according to the box.

Good on water. Walked about a little more than an hour.

Planning on shovelgloving again tomorrow after about 6 weeks off. And breakfast and lunch are planned.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:18 pm

Day 6 - Success.

B - small honey wheat bagel with cream cheese, almost 2 cups of 100% apple juice
L - leftover chicken pad thai, fresh spring roll with dipping sauce
D- potatoes and bratwurst

Did my weight workout this morning. And did good on water.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm doing quite well today. Just got back in a from a walk/run. Did 5 minutes of running to 22 of walking. I'm pleased with this. Doesn't sound like that much, but since I've never really run before and am in pretty bad shape I think it's great. Also up from 2 minutes last week. Also did my weights this morning. And some stretching after each of the workouts. And food has been healthy and balanced.

Back tonight to report an official success and food details.
Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 02, 2007 1:18 am

Day 7 - Success!

B - grape nuts with lowfat milk, apple
L - caesar salad with chicken, yogurt, 1 packet instant oatmeal
D - spinach fettucine with pesto, pine nuts, and mushrooms, applesauce

Great on water. And very good on exercise as I mentioned in my last post.

Onwards and Downwards!
Julie

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed May 02, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi Julie.

If you are new to running why don't you check out www.coolrunning.com? There is a program there called Couch to 5 K. It can be downloaded on an IPod. I used it to build up to my 35 minute runs. Its a 9 week program and you start off slowly. It takes the pain out of having to think when you walk/run.....kind of like No S. :D

Best of luck, Dru

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 02, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks, Dru. That's exactly what I did. Although I ended up doing a bit less than prescribed for week 1 day 1. Im considering this week 0.5. Last week was week 0. :)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Doing pretty well today. Thought I'd report it now to help keep me that way.

B - 1/2 bagel with cream cheese, cranberry juice, watermelon, blackberries
L - cheese, crackers, bratwurst with some mustard (no bun), apple, yogurt

Good on water. Will be doing 6 loads of laundry tonight. Not sure yet what dinner will be, but I'll keep it to a sweet-free plate.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 03, 2007 2:22 am

Day 8 - Success.

Not the healthiest dinners, but not very big in size -- had 1/2 a philly cheesesteak sandwich. Sure was yummy.

Julie

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Thu May 03, 2007 5:59 pm

I LOVE Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. We have a Planet Sub Resaurant locally that makes one of the best I've ever had.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Closing in on a Day 9 Success.

B - great grains cereal, lowfat milk, banana
L - baked fish and mac&cheese frozen meal, carrots, blackberries
D - out with a work colleague so not sure exactly what, but will keep it to one plate and try to include some veggies.

Good on water. Decided to abstain from exercise because I somewhat aggravated my back/hip injury with the bending and lifting involved in last night's 7 loads of laundry. Ugh, it's never ending. I've re-routed it for Sunday, though.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm

Friday fell apart. And I became a complete idiot. Two things went wrong -- first I ate to feel less stressed. Very very bad. Second, the lunch I brought turned out to be bad and I didn't address that right and just right away go out and get something else, which left me very hungry and vulnerable to bad chocies. That's a good lesson for me.

Saturday and Sunday were S days. Not great ones. Not incredibly horrible ones, but by last night I felt pretty bad and was really looking forward to getting back to it today. And so far, so good. Did my morning weights and added in some crunches. Doing great on water. Had a good breakfast and have a good lunch packed and with me.

It seems like I never stop messing up. I'm definitely still eating less than healthy a lot of the time and sometimes getting overrun by crazy sugar eating. But I'm also not giving up. And surely doing a whole lot better than I was a year ago. And next year at this time I bet I'll be a lot stronger and healthier than now.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 am

Monday: SUCCESS.

B - grape nuts with milk
L - chicken with rice, apple
D - tuna pasta salad, strawberry yogurt

Very good on water. Weights and crunches this morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 09, 2007 12:47 am

Tuesday: SUCCESS.

B - banana, packet of instant oatmeal
L - tuna pasta salad, green salad, apple
D - frozen fried shrimp, piece of matzo with butter

Great on water. Did my morning weights and my evening walk/run.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Wednesday: SUCCESS.

B - oatmeal, banana
L - hummus with pretzel roll, apple, yogurt
D - pulled pork sandwich (the dry rub kind), a few fries, 1 small corncake with butter

Good on water. Did my morning weights/crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri May 11, 2007 2:48 am

Thursday: SUCCESS.

B - grape nuts and milk
L - hummus with crackers, green salad
D - pb&all fruit on oatnut bread, unsweetened banana chips, cashews

Very good on water. 55 minute boot camp class.

It's been a successful week so far and I'm feeling good. I've decided to stop counting days-- I don't think that's working for me anymore. Instead I'm just focusing on each day's success and then looking at the whole month, which is made easy by my calendar that I mark green, red, or yellow each day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 pm

I'm a little disappointed -- I did my usual weekly weigh-in this morning and have gained a pound and a half this week despite feeling like I've been doing such a good job. Of course, it's only been 4 days of eating good and exercising since my last S days. And the day before that was a ridiculous failure. And I did also lose an inch based on the 5 places that I measure which is really the more important thing. So I'm really being silly, but still I feel a little bad.

Still staying on track, though. Maybe I'll have even happier results next week. And I guess even better, continued and maintained happier results next year.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat May 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Friday: SUCCESS. Definitely could have been a healthier one, though. Groceries -- mainly fruits and veggies -- need to be bought today.

B - cashews, a biscuit
L - turkey sandwich, large handful of chips, 100% apple juice
D - 2 very small pieces of bread with olive oil, 3/4 of a super thin italian style margherita pizza ("designed" to be for one person)

Good on water. Did my morning weights/crunches, but not my walk/run. I was SO tired by the evening after having woken up at 5am. I only had a walk/run scheduled for tomorrow, so I can add one today and be on track for the week. Also plan to spend a little time riding my bike today.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun May 13, 2007 3:37 am

Saturday: S Day -- a successful one.

B - cereal with milk
L - sauteed tilapia, green beans, white rice
Snack - cookies
D - out with friends -- most of a fried fish sandwich, few onion rings, 2 sweet mixed drinks

Very good on water. Walked/ran as expected (7/28 running). And then walked about 45 minutes total to and from the restaurant. Plus worked up a sweat scrubbing my stove clean this morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 14, 2007 3:09 am

Sunday - S DAY -- mediocre one.

B- leftover super thin italian style pizza, little gnocchi with pesto
D - at my book group -- egg casserole, hash browns, small scone, fresh berries with a little chocolate sauce
Snacks - light microwave popcorn, ice cream bar (this was a success because in the past I would have had a pint, or most of one), crackers with cheese and olives, couple bites of chocolate covered marzipan

Great on water. Walked 25+ minutes and rode my bike about 3 miles.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Monday: SUCCESS. A tiny bit funky, but still a technical success.

B - grape nuts with milk, dried apricots
L - homemade chicken salad sandwich, applesauce, 1 piece pizza (the pizza part is the funky part, but it did all fit on a plate)
D - out at a business meeting -- chicken caesar salad

Great on water. Did my planned weights/crunches this morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 16, 2007 12:13 am

Just a quick check-in to report the success.

Food was ok.
Water was great.
Exercise - weights/crunches, 15 mintues walking (planned to do more, but the light rain at the beginning of the walk turned into a heavy rain about 7 minutes in so I turned around)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 am

Wednesday: Success. Technically. Dinner was crap, though.

B - grape nuts with milk, apple
L - frozen meal fish and mac & cheese, green salad, few crackers
D - tortilla chips and cheese

Good on water. Did my weights/crunches. It was pouring rain when I got home so couldn't walk/run or bike. Will make it up on Sunday.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri May 18, 2007 3:01 am

B - great grains cereal with milk
L - home made chicken salad sandwich, whole wheat crackers, apple
D - pb&all fruit sandwich, some other small protein thing likely now that I'm back from my boot camp class

Did my boot camp class, but about halfway through I slipped and twisted my ankle. I spent the rest of the class kind of slow, but doing floor and arm exercises and some stretching. Not quite the workout I was hoping for, but I'm really proud of my positive attitude and keep-at-it'dness. Now I'm home icing my ankle. I'm hungry and might get something as the rest of my dinner in a bit, but don't really want to walk on the foot at all right now.

Very good on water.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat May 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Friday: FAILURE.

Ended up having some sweets and snacks -- all at once, really a snack that included some sweets. Still had 3 meals, none of which were huge. Could have been much worse, but could have been much better.

B - small bowl of cereal with milk
L - pasta with pesto, olives, and a few pine nuts, an apple
Snack - from a care package sent to my boyfriend from a friend in hawaii -- macadamia nuts of a few flavor varieties including one covered in toffee and chocolate (this was so good!), dried mango, one wasabi covered peanut, one mochi ball
D - homemade chicken fried rice

Good on water. Didn't exercise because of the sprained ankle from the night before.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun May 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Saturday: S DAY.

I'm definitely still tending to snack and sweet a lot on S days. Maybe nothing to worry about, but maybe it is?

No breakfast.
L - small amount of chicken with peapods and rice
Snacks - 3 pieces of See's candy from a gift box given to me on thursday, a bunch of sweet potato and taro chips from the Hawaii care package
D - potbelly's turkey sandwich, 1/2 chocolate shake
Post dinner- 1/2 beer

Good on water. No exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun May 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Sunday: S Day.

I'm putting the candy away tonight so I can't be tempted all week. And I'm looking forward to that help in stopping eating it, although I've quite enjoyed it all weekend.

B - about 3/4 of a masala dosai (at a restaurant)
Snacks- some more of the See's and hawaiin care package candy, about an ounce of really good cheese with a few olives
D - lean steak, fresh french cut green beans, mashed potato

Good on water. No exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 21, 2007 11:58 pm

B - banana
L - homemade tuna salad, whole wheat crackers, grapes, green salad
D - chicken burrito bol, tortilla chips, cherries

Very good on water. Will do my weights/crunches still tonight.
Will also plan and make my meals for tomorrow before going to bed tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 23, 2007 4:01 am

B - banana, mini bagel with cream cheese
L - chicken with rice and bbq sauce, grapes
D - small green salad, whole wheat crackers, yogurt

Very good on water. Did my morning weights/crunches. Walked to and from a bunch of different buses today.

Planned my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow. Will be having dinner out at a business meeting. Will also walk 20 minutes and do my weights/crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 24, 2007 2:03 am

Wednesday : SUCCESS.

B - grape nuts, milk, blackberries
L - chicken with rice and bbq sauce, 1/2 pear
D - mixed greens salad with grilled chicken, blue cheese, walnuts, whole wheat crackers

I'm leaving work now and feeling pretty hungry so may very well also have a small glass of milk when I get home.

Very good on water. Walked 20 minutes. Will do my weights/crunches when I get home tonight.

Ugh, this was another very long day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 24, 2007 3:07 am

Back to report that I've resisted the milk and will try and go to bed without it. I think it'll be fine. And better for me.

And I did do my weights.

julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri May 25, 2007 2:08 am

B - grape nuts with milk, grapes
L - 2 oz. cheddar cheese, whole wheat crackers, peach, small green salad
D - pita bread, hummus, bit of tuna salad, bit of guacamole, tortilla chips, cranberry juice

Lots of water. Walked about 40 minutes, although not all at once. Will do my weights still tonight.

Julie

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 25, 2007 12:04 pm

You really inspire me, thtrchic! Have a great weekend!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri May 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks, Mimi! That's really helpful to hear.

julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat May 26, 2007 5:19 am

Friday: SUCCESS. Sort of. I had one cookie, but I was so close to falling into a binge that stopping with one and staying on track for the rest of the day is a major success. I think this is the first time I've gotten this close to failing on a Friday and pulling it back together. For me that's enough of a success to call it one. And since this is really just for me I've decided I get to decide that. As long as it's just one slip once.

B - grape nuts with milk, apple
L - mixed greens salad with feta, almonds, dried cherries, and balsamic dressing, apple, handful of pretzels
S- pecan sandie
D - turkey sub with lettuce and sprouts, 2/3 of a single serving bag of chips, martini

Very good on water. 30 minutes walking plus morning weights and crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun May 27, 2007 12:28 am

Saturday: S Day.

B - cheese and crackers
L - 2/3 of an Amy's Mushroom and olive pizza (500 cals, not for the sake of counting, but for the sake of understanding the amount and health quality)
S - 3 pieces of See's candy
D - homemade nachos, cherries, cup of milk

Good on water. Walked an hour.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 28, 2007 1:27 am

I ended up also having 2 chocolate covered macadamia nuts last night.

Sunday: S Day.

B - pancakes with maple syrup, sausage links
L - 2/3 of a pb&j sandwich, taro&sweet potato chips, cherries
D - dinner at olive garden with friends -- 1/2 a baked ziti dish, plate full of salad, breadstick, split dessert of flourless chocolate cake and strawberries with 2 others

Also had a small glass of champagne at the theatre this afternoon. The show closed this afternoon and someone brought it in to celebrate.

Good on water. Did my weights. Didn't walk as planned.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Monday - S Day, Memorial Day.

I feel sort of bad about it. I didn't really want to take 3 days in a row. Plus I'm going to a Cubs game tomorrow night and staying "on plan" will be really hard. I guess the right thing to do is not worry about today because it is legit according to the system and just plan to keep to an N day tomorrow despite the game. Really there's no reason I can't just eat one thing for dinner and not snack while at the game.

B - cereal with milk
L - cheese, crackers, taro chips, olives
S - 2 pieces See's candy and a few chocolate covered macademia nuts
D - at a bbq with friends -- 2 hot dogs in buns, few bites potato salad, 1/2 corn on the cob, piece of bread with a little spinach dip, lots of fresh berries, very small piece of chocolate cake

One major success of this weekend is that even with snacks and sweets mixed in I still ate my food mostly in the form of meals. This is a nice improvement over previous weeks where I just grazed all weekend. I feel much better this way. And think even though I did have chocolate all three days and a lot of calories, I was much more naturally in control than in recent weeks.

Very good on water. Rode my bike 3 miles, walked 25 minutes. Will do my weights and crunches still tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed May 30, 2007 4:01 am

B - oatmeal, banana
L - 1/4 of a pb&j sandwich, small cup of chicken and dumplings, small green salad
D - buffalo chicken salad, some fries

Great on water. Didn't manage to get any exercise in. I truly didn't have time even to walk for a little bit.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu May 31, 2007 12:03 am

B - grape nuts with milk
L - turkey and jarlsberg panini, large handful of chips
D - honey bunches of oats with milk, strawberries, banana

I'm being lazy about exercise. I need to just make myself do it -- a walk and my weights tonight, then boot camp tomorrow. I will definitely not lose weight without it so if for no other reason than that I should do it.

Very good on water.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:11 am

B - grape nuts with milk (I'm *very* into these these days)
L - mixed greens salad with goat cheese, walnuts, craisins and raspberry vinagrette dressing, crackers, peach
D - turkey sandwich on rye, tortilla chips, blackberries

Very good on water.

I did end up doing my weights/crunches last night, but nothing aerobic. I'll do at least the same tonight and try to get something aerobic in too.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Friday : SUCCESS. Not a healthy dinner, though.

B - granola with raisins, milk
L - turkey sandwich on rye, raspberries
D - 2 mini burgers (the plate comes with 4), few fries dipped in various sauces, some nachos, 2 beers

Very good on water. No exercise. Planned to do it at night, but then had 2 beers and no longer cared or was in a shape for it. Ugh. Need to do better on the exercising. Will have another good weekend of that, though.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Saturday: S-DAY.

B - grape nuts with milk, sweetened iced coffee
L - pasta with ground lamb in tomato sauce, banana
S- 2 pieces See's candy, large handful of macadamia nuts
D - (out) -- fresh spring roll, some orange chicken, some vietnamese style pork chop, rice
After dinner (with a group of friends) -- 3 baileys on the rocks

Very good on water. Sucked on exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:14 am

Sunday: S-Day.

B - cheese and crackers, olives
L - turkey sandwich on rye
S- chocolate covered macadamia nuts, microwave popcorn
D - 1/2 frozen pizza
S - indian frozen yogurt dessert (shrekhund)

Very good on water. Rode my bike 3 miles, walked 30 minutes and up and down 3 flights of stairs 4 times (not consecutively).

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Doing good so far despite a VERY stressful day at work. I really wanted to have some chocolate earlier, but stopped myself and reminded myself that that made no real sense.

Need to stay vigilant for the rest of the night. I think my boyfriend may want to go out to dinner and might suggest some less good food in a way to help me feel better.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Monday: SUCCESS. Sort of.

B - grape nuts with milk, banana
L - bologna, salami, and cheddar sandwich on rye, tortilla chips, carrots, peach
D - eaten in two parts, the first quite snacky, but the fact that it was cut off when it was and contained to not complete junk and then a normal, but slightly small dinner was eaten and it all would probably fit on one plate makes me call it a success -- cheese, olives, indian cracker-y things, couscous with ground lamb and potatoes

Very good on water. Walked 10 minutes.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:01 am

B - granola with milk, blackberries
L - bologna & cheese sandwich, yogurt, peach
D - massaman beef curry, crab rangoon

Great on water. Walked 50 minutes, did my weights/crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 pm

B - grape nuts with milk
L - most of a quiznos tuna sub, few chips, peach
D - leftover massaman beef, banana

Very good on water. Did my weights/crunches, walked about 10 minutes, spent hours cleaning, lifting, organzing, dragging things cleaning up the office at work. It really was a great workout.

Tomorrow gets tricky. I leave early in the morning for a three day conference. So I'll be travelling tomorrow, then at the conference tomorrow through Saturday and travelling again Sunday. This messes with my routine, puts me out of control of my food, and has me eating in groups, often filled with people I don't really know. I think I've decided to find a way to make tomorrow work according to No-S rules and depending upon how the food options play out allow Friday to be a NWS day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:19 am

B - at aiport -- mcdonald's hash brown and most of a sausage biscuit, oatmeal raisin breakfast bar
L - turkey bagel sandwich, chips
D - 2 potstickers, small caesar salad, mashed potatoes, roll

Weird food and not too healthy overrall, but I'm proud of myself for maintaining so many of my habits and staying basically on track.

Good on water. Walked about an hour and a half, not consecutively.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:45 am

Friday: S-Day. I decided to switch today and Sunday just this once with the clearly special situation of being at this conference. I don't see any need to have 3 S days in a row this week since I'll be home by noon on Sunday.

B - small bagel with cream cheese, glazed donut
L - roast beef sandwich, chips, cookie
S - popcorn
D - small plate of assorted appetizers, large chocolate covered strawberry, few pecans, orange juice, 1 beer

Very good on water. Walked about 45 minutes plus was on my feet and sort of milling about a lot of the day.

julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:34 am

B - strawberry banana smoothie, apple danish
L - roast beef sandwich, chips, cookie
S - popcorn, 1 fruit skewer
D - steak satay, fresh spring rolls, cup of wonton soup
S - peanut butter cups

Ok on water. Walked about 45 minutes.

Travelling back home tomorrow morning and then back to normal life.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:34 am

Sunday: SUCCESS. Albeit not too healthy.

B - cheese-its, peanut butter
L - cheese omlette, potatoes, english muffin, tiny bit of cheese grits
D - pizza

Ok on water. No exercise, but none planned (other than walking through the airport and it is a big airport).

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:34 am

Monday: SUCCESS. A so-so one.

B - grape nuts with milk, few bites of banana (the rest was bad)
L - 1 small piece pizza, large salad of mostly greens with few other veggies, some cheese, edamame, olives, egg white, raisins, sesame seeds, honey mustard vinagrette dressing, 1/2 dinner roll
D - small bowl of rice and pork, cheese-its

Very good on water. Walked 20 minutes. Will do my weights/crunches still tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 am

B - granola with raisins and milk, big bottle of cranberry juice
L - pork and rice with bbq sauce, apple, 3 crackers with hummus
D - tilapia, rice

Great on water. Walked 20 minutes. Will do my weights/crunches still tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 am

I ended up having green beans with my dinner too. So even better. :)

And weights/crunches are done. Yay for me.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:00 am

B - 2 packets instant oatmeal, small banana
L - tuna with a little miracle whip, whole grain crackers, sun chips, apple, yogurt
D - small mixed greens salad with apple, grapes, blue cheese, and a few walnuts, bread with butter

Great on water. Walked 30 minutes. Might still do my weights/crunches tonight, but I'm exhausted so I'm not sure.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:49 am

B - grape nuts with milk
L - turkey and jarlsberg panini, chips, dried apricots
D - strawberry banana smoothie, 2 slices cheese and whole wheat crackers, olives

Very good on water. 50 minute boot camp class.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:28 pm

Friday: FAILURE.

B - half a caramel fudge brownie
L - a little bit of sushi, a little ginger peanut noodle salad
S - carrot raisin muffin
D - 2 drinks of raspberry vodka, creme de cassis, and lemonade, some spinach artichoke dip with tortilla chips, few fries, 1 piece buttered multigrain toast

Did good on water and walked half an hour. No weights/crunches, though. And, obviously, food was a mess. Although a not too out of control mess for a day that started like it did and continued through a lunch I didn't like and drinks out with co-workers.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:48 pm

B - slice of cheese, few crackers, blackberries
L - chinese
D - couple bites cheeseburger, bit of potato salad, little fruit salad, slice watermelon, few tortilla chips, a piece of paratha, little eggplant curry
S- brownie

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:36 am

Sunday: S-DAY.

B - little bit of leftover chinese food, 1 piece See's candy (it's completely unbelievable to me, but the box is STILL not gone -- this is the longest I've ever had a box of candy in my life, and even better I'd be fine with it if my boyfriend finished it)
L - spinach ravioli in tomato sauce with mushrooms and olives
S- coffee glazed macadamia nuts, smoked cheddar popcorn, 2 bites of a Flake candy bar (at the movies)
D - homemade beef and veggie fried rice

Overall not great, but not idiotic. I'm happy that it was in the form of meals with a snack instead of just grazing. That's something I've been doing much better with in the last few weeks. I'm also PMS-ing so that's making it a lot harder. Excuses, excuses.... but better than not trying or noticing.

Also just got back from buying groceries so I can eat healthy during the week.

No real exercise today, grrr. It was so hot out (more excuses). So-so on water. I'll drink more before bed.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 pm

L - (at a caterer tasting for a theatre event) - 4 oz. beef tenderloin with swiss chard, corn porridge, grapes in grape reduction, shot of watermelon gazpacho, bite size cheesy polenta topped with pulled pork, about 2 ounces of assorted (really good) cheeses topped with bit of fruit chutneys, small beet salad with chevre -- all smallish portions since it was a tasting, 1/3 glass white wine
D - lean cuisine beef, cheese, mushroom panini, yogurt, peach

Good on water. Walked 20 minutes. Hopefully will do my weights when I get home, but it's a 12 hour workday so I'm not yet positive.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Tuesday: SUCCESS. Dinner hasn't actually happened yet so I'm just predicting but I feel confident.

B - bagel with cream cheese, grapes
L - light laughing cow cheese (2 wedges) on rye wasa crackers, yogurt, apple
D - (at a business dinner) grilled chicken sandwich, potatoes

Very good on water. No exercise. I suck. And I'm working 12 hour insanely busy days. Grrr. Will fix that tomorrow.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:32 am

Ended up not having the potatoes with dinner and walking 15 minutes. So even better. Good.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:34 am

B - granola with raisins and milk
L - from the bag lite caesar salad, 2 rye wasa crackers, grapes, macadamia nuts
D - sauteed pork and green beans, rice

Very good on water. No exercise yet, but plan a post-dinner walk and later evening weights/crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:58 pm

B - grape nuts with milk
L - turkey sandwich on a bagel, yogurt, peach
D - pizza, 1 beer (not too healthy, but still no-s :) )

Good on water. Biked about 60 minutes, walked 20.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:48 am

Friday: SUCCESS. With a caveat. I've decided to try doing my S days from 6pm Fridays to 6pm Sundays. Does anyone think that might be a bad idea? I'd love to hear why if you do.

B - grape nuts with milk
L - 2 wasa crackers with a laughing cow wedge, applesauce
D (after 6) - chips, 3 chicken tacos, 4 beers

Good on water. Walked about 20 minutes.

B - chips
L - much of a masala dosai, a little mango lassi
S - 3 pieces See's candy (the last of it - I can't believe how long that lasted)
D - taramousalata with pita bread, gyros with sauce, greek fries

Good on water. Walked about 20 minutes. Did laundry.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:22 am

Sunday: S-DAY. Til 6pm. Then Success.

L - crab rangoon, shrimp shumai, massaman curry with beef
S - wheat thins, 3 chocolate covered macadamia nuts
D - granola with raisins and milk

Good on water. Walked about 40 minutes.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:46 am

B - bagel with cream cheese, little thing of applesauce
L - pastrami, little turkey, few bites cheese (this was supposed to be on a sandwich, but the bread tasted so bad I just took the meat out and ate it), apple juice, yogurt
D - jimmy john's turkey unwich (wrapped in lettuce instead of bread), chips

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:13 am

B - grape nuts with a tiny bit of granola and milk
L - lean cuisine fish and mac&cheese, banana
D - chipotle burrito bol with chicken, chips

Good on water. No exercise -- planned to walk, but it started completely pouring this afternoon so it's not really possible anymore.

I leave early tomorrow for 11 days. I'll be travelling for close to a day, then I'll be in London for a day and a half, then Ireland for about 4.5 days, then Scotland for about 3.5, then home, travelling again for close to a day.

I'm not exactly sure how the No-S stuff will play out. I plan to not worry about it too much, but generally try to stay to eating in a 3 meals a day format. I'll be in a different place nearly every day so I want to just experience whatever food, drink, and sweets exist there. Moderation will be the key I think. And I think after 7 months of No-S, I'm WAY more prepared for that. Eating in this format has become much more natural, even if not eating sweets and less-than-healthy food hasn't. It's such an important step and I think watching myself for trends on this trip will be good too. I also, of course, won't be checking in again until July 9 or so. Anyway, no matter what it will be interesting.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:23 pm

I'm back from vacation. It was wonderful. I didn't follow No-S at all, though. I feel totally fine about that actually. I didn't at all obsess about food. I think this is a really really big deal. One difference I noticed is that on trips like this is in the past I'd be thinking about when the next food would be and would it be too long before I ate again and how would this all work out and would I get to have dessert. Here I didn't think about any of that. I'm sure it's because of the months of No-S and the habits that are being built without me even really realizing it. I just ate and enjoyed when we ate. I ate sweets, but mostly small amounts and usually sharing with other people. I drank a lot (it was Ireland and Scotland after all), but never to the point of feeling sick. I walked and climbed a lot and was really tired and felt like I need to exercise more. I gained 2-3 pounds in the 1.5 weeks, or so the scale says today. I think that could have been much worse. AND I'm sure that in the past it would have been. And I'm sure half of that will be back off by the end of the week.

It's a little hard getting back on track today. Especially because I'm at home and we have a lot of sweets laying around that we brought back.

But I know I can do this. And will feel good for it.

Had an odd breakfast of pasta (we had just about nothing in the house) pre-grocery shopping and yogurt with blueberries post-grocery shopping. Had to be split or grocery shopping would have been a disaster.

Will check back in with the day's success tonight.
Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:02 am

Monday - SUCCESS.

B - potato pasta with tomato artichoke sauce, yogurt with blueberries
L - tuna salad with wheat thins, cherries
D - julienne salad with poppyseed dressing, baileys on the rocks (not quite perfect, but at a wake type event after a funeral and it was that or beer, which makes me sick -- and I only had one and none of the pizza that was ordered and looked really good)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:26 am

Tuesday - FAILURE. Not a huge one, at least.

B - grape nuts with milk, nectarine
L - bologna & cheese sandwich, side salad with bit of blue cheese and fat free thousand island dressing
S - blueberry muffin, iced skim latte
D - big bowl of cherries, cheddar cheese and wheat thins, few olives

Good on water.

The latte wasn't too bad to have, but obviously the muffin was not ok. I did resist having a cookie or anything frosted, though. Will do even better tomorrow.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:28 am

Wednesday: FAILURE.

Ugh.

B - granola with milk, banana
L - turkey sandwich, apple, indian cracker-y things
S- candy bar (it was sitting on the table when I got home and somehow I just couldn't resist it -- so stupid)
D - tilapia and rice

Good on water. No real exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:19 pm

B - great grains cereal with milk, banana
L - turkey panini (business lunch out), small mixed greens salad
D - hummus, pita chips, little bit cheese, 2 pieces bread with butter, 1 small piece lox, few baby carrots, 1 guinness

Good on water. Walked about 20 minutes plus ran around for about 10 playing "foot volleyball". It was a lot of fun and definitely got my heart rate up.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Friday: S-Day.

Saturday: S- Day.

Neither ridiculous, but both definitely S's.

Sunday: Success. Not fabulous, again. But within the rules.

B - grape nuts with milk
L - (in the car) mcdonalds 2 cheeseburgers and fries
D - (at a fundraiser I was working) l3 tiny pieces of bread, some cheese, walnuts, 2 chicken satay skewers, 1 tiny piece of bread with roast beef on it, 1 guinness

Good on water. No real exercise, but a bunch of trips carrying things up and down stairs and on my feet for about 6 straight hours.

Looking forward to an even healthier N-day today.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:49 am

B- grape nuts with milk, 1 slice cheese with a handful of wheat thins
L - turkey sandwich, few indian cracker-y chip things, nectarine
D - lobster ravioli with tomato artichoke sauce, mixed greens salad with poppy seed dressing, bread

Good on water. Walked about 15 minutes. Not much, but better than nothing I guess.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:12 am

B - grape nuts with milk, strawberries and blueberries
L - yogurt, wasa crackers, pita chips, hummus, pretzels (was supposed to be a turkey and feta sandwich instead of the wasa, pita and hummus, but the sandwich got ruined and couldn't be eaten so that was other stuff i had available at work)
D- 2 egg omlette with cheese and olives, toast with butter, cherries

Good on water. Walked 20 minutes.
Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:29 am

I wanted candy pretty bad today, but resisted.

L - wasa crackers with cheddar and munster cheese, yogurt, apple
D - pizza, strawberries

Good on water. Walked about 25 minutes.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:42 am

Thursday: FAILURE.

B - ygurt with grape nuts, nectarine
L - few handfuls of unbuttered popcorn, 4 cookies
D - hummus with pita bread and carrots, 3 baileys, 1 beer

Not too great. It was a lousy day and I gave into cookies and then alcohol. And the worst part was that the cookies actually did make me feel better. That really shouldn't work. I also didn't manage to actually eat lunch which obviously set me up for the cookies. If I had, I might have resisted. Grrrr.

Did do good on water. No exercise, though. Grrrr.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.
Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Friday: SUCCESS

B - yogurt with grape nuts
L - sushi (8 pieces of salmon roll), banana
D (with friends) - bread with artichoke dip, tortilla chips, pasta with veggies and chicken, asparagus, mixed greens salad, 2 glasses wine, 2 bites chocolate pie (that sounds like a failure, but I actually think it's a success in it's social nature, very small amount, and the fact that I had healthy meals all day despite a desperate desire not too and did not buy the candy bar I wanted on the way to dinner. Which would have been stupid. In the past, I would have done it anyway.)

Good on water. Maybe 10 minutes walking, not too good.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Saturday and Sunday: S DAYS.

Saturday was fairly mild. Yesterday was slightly idiotic. I ate a LOT of cookies. It was pretty stupid. I made myself feel sick. I haven't done that in a long time.

I did walk about an hour on Saturday and then stand for about 3 more. Sunday I walked about 30 minutes.

Today is quite good so far. Rode my bike to work so guarantee about 70 minutes of bike riding. Plus I did almost 20 minutes of free weight lifting and ab work this morning. I felt really good after that. And have my good breakfast and lunch with me (ate the breakfast already) and have fish defrosting in the fridge at home for dinner that we can have with fresh green beans.

I'll be back tonight to report today's success. :)
Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:19 am

B- great grains cereal with milk,banana
L - rye toast with irish butter and cheddar cheese, almonds, side spinach salad with feta, olives, and ff raspberry vinagrette dressing
D - fish, few lima beans, white rice, cherries

Good on water. Rode my bike 60 minutes (turned out to be faster than I thought this morning) and 20 minutes ab/weight work.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:09 pm

Tuesday:SUCCESS.

B- grape nuts with yogurt, almonds
L - rye toast with butter and cheddar cheese, pretzels, apple juice, side spinach salad with feta and olives
D - salad plate of leftover rice with pork and mushrooms, cherries

Rode my bike an hour (to and from work), 20 minutes arms and abs workout. Good on water.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:52 am

B - yogurt with grape nuts, banana
L - sushi (spicy tuna and spider rolls, ebi nigiri), apple, edamame
D - cheese and crackers, few olives, small plate of spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce

Good on water. Biked 60 minutes and 20 minutes arms and abs.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:22 am

Thursday: NWS Day. It was one of my best friends birthdays and we went out to celebrate. The day was otherwise a success.

B - cereal with milk, peach
L - feta, hummus and olive sandwich, yogurt, pretzels
D- pizza, 2 beers, small frosted brownie. yum.

Good on water. Did some pushups, but that was about it exercise-wise. I needed an exercise rest day after the hard push of the last 3 days. My body feels better after taking the day. Back to it tomorrow.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Friday - FAILURE.
Saturday-S-Day.
Sunday-S-Day.

None of those horrible.

Walked about 30 minutes Saturday and about an hour yesterday.

I have a barbeque to go to tonight. That'll definitely be a challenge. But I can do one plate. And I really really don't need any sweets.

I've had a good breakfast and have a good lunch with me. And did my 20 minutes of arms and abs this morning so the day is off to a good start.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:24 am

B - great grains cereal with milk, small banana
L - small quiznos tuna sandwich, almonds, apple
D - crackers, couple chips with guacamole, couple olives, cheeseburger, few bites pasta salad, 1/2 corn on the cob with butter, few cherries, 1 beer

Good on water. 20 minutes arms and abs this morning. About 20 minutes walking.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:56 pm

B - cereal with milk, banana
L - rice with chicken, pretzels, peach
D - something legal out at a work meeting.

Good on water. Did my 20 minutes this morning. No other real exercise but I feel like I've been running around all day. I'm physically tired so must have gotten something in.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:33 pm

B - orange juice
L - yogurt with grape nuts, apple, baby carrots
D - pizza, garden salad with dressing, 1/2 frozen fruit bar

Good on water. Walked about 100 minutes, but slowly.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:31 pm

Thursday: SUCCESS. More or less.

B - korean bbq beef with white rice, cranberry juice
L - grape nuts with milk
D - 1/2 piece pizza, 1 taco, large handful of chips with refried beans and salsa (I was eating the pizza when my boyfriend called and wanted to go out for mexican so i stopped and went out, but since i wasn't too hungry at that point just had the 1 taco -- it's weird and not healthy, but surely all fit on one plate)

Good on water. Walked about half hour.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Friday: S-Day.

B - small amount of grape nuts and milk
S- chocolate chip cookies
L - hummus with whole wheat crackers, nectarine
D- (out with work people for a farewell thing for my boss) - 1 guinness, small mixed greens salad with blue cheese, walnuts, and grapes, bread and butter
S- (out with my boyfriend for dinner and a movie, where I ate nothing) - few bites seafood cakes, large spoonful mashed potatoes with gravy, corncake with butter, "Mississippi Mudslide" drink

Good on water. Walked maybe 30 minutes, but not consecutively. I need to get back into a much better exercise habit.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Saturday: S-Day.

B - orange juice
L - potatoes and al pastor, white rice, few green beans
S - few pieces of licorice
D - chipotle chicken burrito bowl with chips
S - piece of small cake

Good on water. Walked about half an hour.

So far so good today. Slept til about 10 so didn't have any breakfast. Had chicken in bbq sauce, green beans, and white rice for lunch. Plan to have pineapple and a turkey sandwich for dinner. It'll be an early one because I need to go to the theater for a show that starts at 6:30. I might have some other fruit based thing when I get home. Which would be fine since I'll only have had 2 meals otherwise today. I'll check back with the official success tonight or tomorrow.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:46 am

Sunday- SUCCESS.

B - chicken in bbq sauce, green beans, white rice
L - turkey sandwich, pineapple
D- watermelon, yogurt, crackers

Good on water. Walked about 25 minutes.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:21 am

Monday- FAILURE. I ate cake. I should have thrown it away after eating my portion Saturday night.

B - boca burger on bun with cheese, baked fries, watermelon
L - cheese, crackers, olives
S- cake
D - cabbage, piece of paratha, banana

Good on water. Walked briefly, but it was so hot and humid I just couldn't take going any distance.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 am

Tuesday: SUCCESS

L - hummus, whole wheat crackers, carrots, yogurt, pretzels
D - watermelon, apple, grapes

Good on water. No exercise -- its so hot is my excuse, but of course that's an excuse -- I could do SOMEthing inside.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Wednesday- SUCCESS

B - grape nuts with milk
L - hummus, crackers, grapes, little bit of plain popcorn
D - taramousalata, pita bread, salad with feta and oil &vinegar, mousaka

Good on water. Walked about an hour slowly.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:36 am

Thursday - SUCCESS.

B - yogurt with grape nuts, watermelon
L - sushi (spider roll, spicy tuna roll), carrots
D - korean bbq beef with onions, cabbage, potatoes, bit of softshell crab

Good on water. Walked about 90 minutes, slowly.

Julie