Noel's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Noel's Daily Check In

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Why not?

Day 1: success

Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon and two fried eggs
Lunch: Beef soup, slice french bread, salad
Dinner: Coq au vin with mushrooms and carrots, pasta and cheese, salad

I am finding, however, that I was psycho hungry by dinnertime even though I'd eaten substantial, healthy meals. The only thing I can figure is that I tend to snack more than I'd kept track of.

I do find that because I'm eating three meals that I'm paying very close attention to make sure I'm getting my nutritional balance at each one.

Can't Urban Ranger yet because I'm not officially allowed to walk (ACL reconstruction cum meniscus repair and a very conservative surgeon, damn him), but I did do my PT and threw in a dumbbell workout for the upper body.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I am finding, however, that I was psycho hungry by dinnertime even though I'd eaten substantial, healthy meals.
Your lunch was very light, which explains the hunger. Salad has very few calories. If you eat larger, more substantial meals, you will make it to dinner more easily.

If you are really starving before dinner, have a glass of milk or 100% fruit juice.

Welcome to the No-S program! Be patient, and experiment a bit with your portion sizes and also the content of your meals, and you will find success! :D

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:29 am

Day 2: success

Breakfast: Veggie Omelete with cheese

Lunch: Tuna salad -- substantial

Dinner: Spaghetti and meatballs with a salad.

As far as exercise, while I'm not allowed weight bearing, I am allowed to swim three times a week. There were some frat boys horsing around in the pool and interrupted my swim, so I got mad and I think I overdid it completing my swim.

Sooorrreee!!!!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 am

Day 3: Success

Breakfast: oatmeal, scrambled eggs

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti from the night before

Dinner: Jambalaya and a glass of milk

Did my weights routine (modified to accomodate rehab). WANNNAAAA WALLLLKKKK.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Day 4: success

Breakfast: Oatmeal, an Orange and a fried egg

Lunch: Jambalaya (I eat leftovers for lunch often)

Dinner: Veggie Omelette with cheese, slice toast, apple

Now comes the S days. I don't want to be strict, but I don't want to be an idiot, either.

I also note that I've lost a pound.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Day 5: S-Day

Here's the funny part.

I had three meals, no seconds and no snacks.

I did make "Preacher Cookies" (an oatmeal fudge cookie that's delicious and quick), for a treat because we were having guests for dinner. I had a couple as dessert and enjoyed them very much!

Yeah, the habit part does carry over onto S-days, I can see that. I wasn't trying to be "good". I was just doing my day.

I swam yesterday, too -- now up to 900 yards (Goal is 1650 -- a swimmer's mile).

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:18 am

Day 6: S day

And boy, oh boy was it an S day...

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 am

Day 7: Success

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal
Lunch: Tuna salad, orange
Dinner: 15 bean soup, garlic bread, apple

Swam a 900.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 am

Day 8: success

Still doing the "letter of the law" thing, and I'm probably eating too much sometimes, even so.

Breakfast: Steak and eggs (stop looking at me like that. We were out of oatmeal and had leftover steak).

Lunch: 15 bean soup, garlic bread, orange

Dinner: 3 burritos (each made with a 5" tortilla, a couple tablespoons of meat and some cheese. Not as large as it sounds).

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:23 am

Day 9: Success

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, toast, orange

Lunch: 15 bean soup, orange

Dinner: Oriental chicken salad, cheese sandwich

I have no idea how far I swam yesterday. The pool was crowded and I stupidly chose a lane that I thought would be swimmers at my speed.

They were a lot slower. Instead of slowing myself down, I just waited for them to complete a row and sprinted.

I...am...sore....

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Day 10: Success

Breakfast: Oatmeal, scrambled Eggs, coffee, milk

Lunch: Beef soup, cheese sandwich, orange

Dinner: Chili, cornbread

Nightcap: Appletini

I am hoping to be cleared to be off the crutches today at the doctor, at which point I'll be SGing and definately urban rangering!

I am noticing my body is starting to get used to being fed at specific times. Fried rat is actually starting to look unattractive *grin*.

I do have a cup of tea most days upon getting home from work. It seems to satisfy me until dinner.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:20 am

Day 11: Success

Breakfast: Oatmeal

Lunch: Bean soup, cheese sandwich, orange

Dinner: Pizza.

You know, a lot of pizza can fit on a 10" plate. However, in the spirit of the admonition not to be an idiot, I did not actually fill my plate. I was satisfied.

I'm cleared to walk which means I can Urban Ranger (or at least make a start getting back into it).

I'm also going to try SGing to see if my knee torques. Not supposed to do that yet.

czechens

Post by czechens » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Your meals sound great - esp. lunch. I'm picking up some "good eats" ideas from your check-ins.

Best wishes on your leg injury. Several of my students have had ACL tears this year (basketball for the most part), so I know second-hand what a bummer that can be. Don't push it too hard too fast. A couple of my girls started overtaxing their injured knees too soon - thought the brace would save them - and ended up right back at Square One. (I'm sure I sound like your mother speaking. Sorry. Can't help myself. My kids call me PsychoMom. :oops: )

I'm picking up on your tea-drinking idea as a One-Week Challenge this week. Hoping that a mug of something hot in my hands will keep my greedy little mitts out of my husband's can of cashews. Lord, how I love 'em!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:07 pm

Well, if you're that nuts about cashews (heh, I crack myself up), you could always throw them into a chicken stir-fry.

Diced chicken, broccoli, cashews, carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, grated ginger... Fry it up in some peanut oil, throw in some sesame seeds and soy sauce then serve it over rice.

(I lived with a chef for seven years. I guess it shows).

I am being careful! I do not ever want to go through this surgery again!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:57 am

Day 12: S-Day

I didn't go too nuts, though I snacked more than is probably good.