girligrant check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

girligrant

girligrant check-in

Post by girligrant » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:14 pm

First time to post on a forum. I read about this system about six months ago and after much reading on topic and trying different methods to get me going, this is the system that seems the sanest to me! I am committed enough to post a daily check in on how it is going. I actually did dig enough coal by hand for two years (free winter heating) in the summers. Had the best body I ever had and it took years for the muscle to become flabby. Am looking forward to finding my ribs again so this is the first day!! I can do it if you all can do it!! :D

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:57 am

It is definitely sane! I wish you the best of luck with NoS. It seems to be working for me thus far......and if it is working for me, it will work for anybody! I love posting my progress every day, it keeps me honest about my habits. I love it and I hope you will too! Keep us posted!

Janine

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Welcome girligrant!

I sent my first text message yesterday from my cell phone (I'd been stubbornly resisting the technology) so in one way or another we're all newbies here.

Are you doing shovelglove or the no s diet (or both)?

Reinhard

girligrant

Post by girligrant » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Aww this new technology is unreal for me. Cell phones are a little above me and if they would only go back to the old dial phones.... At least you could clock someone with the receiver and make a dent!!

I am doing both shovelglove and the no s. Yesterday was the beginning of no s and today beginning the shovelglove with what I have here on hand. My son has a full weight set so I am going to hook weight to one end of bar and use that. I was trying to use flat bricks (!!!??) before... carrying them from one place to another but it was pretty awkward and really hard on the skin of my hands and arms. Am pretty sure it will work unless I don't attach weight right and end up beating myself up with it :? Will let you know tomorrow how it worked.

We eat pretty healthy meals around here but still have cupcakes, chips, etc for snacking on so yesterday was first day without the snacks. I think most of the extra weight on me is from a total lack of activity. Not working right now and lots of computer time means sitting around a lot. My son and I geocache but that is not real muscle using exercise. This is turning into my life story ...maybe I will get used to this posting thing :o

Later, girligrant

USAFwife

Post by USAFwife » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:41 am

Am pretty sure it will work unless I don't attach weight right and end up beating myself up with it
Oh my, you crack me up! Good luck with the weights. I go to the gym and do cardio, but I am so intimidated by the weight room. I know I should be doing some weight training.....but I dunno....maybe one day.

Thanks for the comment on my check-in page. I used to feel the same way you do about breakfast until I started to eat a nice big healthy one and it kept me from being ravenous all day long. Its hard to get over that yuck factor though. I do hope you try it.

Janine