BrightAngel check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Reinhard is a normal weight person who was in a temporary overweight or borderline obese Phase
at the time he created the No S Diet.
These recent quotes from another Thread are between he and another normal weight person.
jellybeans01 wrote:I'm wondering if the No S diet has worked for anyone who really wants to be trim trim.
reinhard wrote:It's hard to tell. It's not designed to get you "trim trim;"
it's designed to help you eat moderately (and see what happens).

That being said, moderate eating can have a striking effect on your physique.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 pm

This recent quote reveals an important part of No S
that some people seem to miss.
forum member wrote:Breakfast - a bowl of porridge and then two slices of toast.

Lunch - two small breaded chicken strips, then burger and fries.

Main meal - a large portion of fries and then two chicken burgers.
reinhard wrote:...Sounds like a lot of pretty calorically dense food,
and by putting it all on one plate in front of you at the same time
it'll look like a lot of food, too
which is the main point of the no-seconds rule.

You could then legitimately go ahead and eat that mountainous plate of food.
Just don't allow yourself to deceive yourself about how much you're actually eating
and odds are then you won't want to eat quite so much.
The "No Snacks" Rule and the "One Plate" rule
are both meant to keep one from DECEIVING oneself
about how much one is actually eating.

Hoping that the REALITY of seeing the food all together
will jolt one into choosing to eat less.
This, of course, depends on one's subjective beliefs
about the size of "normal" food portions.

This can be helpful information for a "normal" person,
who is struggling in the "overweight" category.
if they understand how little food-intake one actually needs,
and have simply allowed their weight sneak up on them.

But it isn't very helpful for a person well into obesity,
who thinks of large portions of high-calorie food as a normal amount.

BrightAngel

Why the Scales can Lie

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: the Scale and Weight. Here is some information I find useful.
WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing that is helpful all through the erratic weight fluctuations one invariably encounters: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who begin dieting show.... the first two weeks of a diet can be pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on your first week or two of dieting...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of a diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you choose to weigh daily, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Sometimes the best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Kathleen wrote: Here is a paragraph from the Third Story of the Seventh Day of Boccaccio's :
The Decameron, a book written just after the Black Plague in 1347-49.

"But why do I ramble on about this Friar Rinaldo of ours? Is there a single one of these friars who behaves any differently? Ah, scandal of this corrupt and wicked world! It doesn't worry them in the least that they appear so fat and bloated, that a bright red glow suffuses their cheeks, that their clothes are smooth as velvet, and that in all their dealings they are so effeminate; yet they are anything but dovelike, for they strut about like so many proud peacocks with all their feathers on display. Furthermore, their cells are stuffed with jars filled with unguents and electuaries, with boxes full of various sweetmeats, with phials and bottles containing oils and liquid essences, and with casks brimming over with Malmsey and Greek and other precious wines, so that to any impartial observer they look more like scent shops or grocery stores than the cells of friars. But what is worse, they are not ashamed to admit that they suffer from gout,
as though it were not widely known and recognized that regular fasting, a meager and simple diet, and a sober way of life makes people lean and slender, and for the most part healthy. Or at least, if they produce infirmity, this does not take the form of gout, for which the remedy usually prescribed is continence and all other features of a humble friar's existence. Moreover, they think we are too stupid to realize that a frugal life, lengthy vigils, prayer and self-restraint ought to give to people a pale and drawn appearance, and that neither Saint Dominic nor Saint Francis had four cloaks apiece, or swaggered about in habits that were elegantly tailored and finely woven, but clad themselves in coarse woolen garments of a natural color, made to keep out the cold. However, God will doubtless see that they, and the simple souls who keep them supplied with all these things, receive their just deserts."
So...it looks like in the 14th Century, it was commonly known
that to be "lean", "slender" and "for the most part healthy"
requires the following behavior:
  • 1. regular fasting
    2. portion control (meagre diet), and
    3. food quality control (simple diet).

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:36 pm

connorcream wrote:Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer.
Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check.
It is built in accountability and forced portion control.
Exactly ! Image

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:13 pm

BA-
When I first read that thought, I thought that is exactly right. Precise, easy, doable. I don't get why some find this a burden, including me for too long.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Eating Less

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 pm

The following statement contains some valuable Truth.
Why are we so afraid to eat less?
Regarding the ambiguous and nonsensical “Get plenty of exercise and eat a healthy and balanced dietâ€. . .
Even when we know what ‘healthy and balanced’ is, it’s still skirting the issue of ‘HOW MUCH†healthy and balanced diet.

The answer is less.
If you weigh more than you want to,
you are eating more than you need to.

One reason we may shy away from saying ‘eat less’ is that it creates the need to know ‘how much less’.
This question creates the need for calorie counting, and predictive equations.
And predictive equations create the need for guesstimating fat mass and lean body mass
and the average calorie burning associated with exercise.
So we measure, predict and guesstimate…then pretend it’s all 100% fact.
Now, we all have our estimates … but they are ALL estimates.
This is where confusion sets in…
...when we start pretending we know EXACT numbers when everything is estimates.

By saying ‘eat less’ we have to admit that we don’t know EXACTLY how much less,
but Eating less IS the answer…. because it works.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brad Pilon, author of Eat Stop Eat

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 pm

The following is a Post on another Forum
from someone with an Experience and Opinion similiar to my own.
Member of Another Forum wrote:I have found that the amount of food I ate while losing weight (a lot of weight)
is pretty close to what I get to eat to maintain - shocker for me to realize ...

It was really not a "diet" all that time ...
I was eating what a 130 lb girl has to eat to stay that way.
I do think that takes a big mental adjustment.
It did for me
... and no one tells you this from the get-go
because they do not want to scare you off your goal of losing weight ..
and sadly, not enough people succeed longterm to make it matter
(to the diet plan developers) at the beginning.

I have to ACCEPT in my head (the following Truths):
"It is unfair that I have to do what I have to do to maintain this weight and this level of fitness."
"It is also hard, and sometimes annoying, to live life the way I have to live life."
And THEN I must just get on with what needs to be done.

Because, for me, wallowing in self-pity, and
"doing what I want and what should be right and normal"
kept me obese my whole life.

It was a big wake up for me to realize THAT was what my obesity was
- and for most obese people,
not only a result of possible insulin resistance,
not just medical problems,
or the development of processed foods in the last 30 years,
it was REFUSING TO ACCEPT
that there are certain ways one has to live ones life in order to be healthy ..

It sucks, but I feel that the alternative is unacceptable to me.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi BrightAngel,
I wanted to thank you for these last two posts. They both really resonated with me at a time when I'm realizing that I need to reduce how much I eat. Yes, I reduced it at the beginning of this year and lost 15 lbs (a pretty sizeable amount for me) however, if I want to lose more and get my BMI back into the healthy range I need to eat even less (I've plateaued for the last 3 months). Yes, it sucks, but it's reality.

Thanks again!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Howdy,
True, true posts. At a gathering yesterday, a woman came up to me gushing over how great I look, weight loss, younger looking, yada yada. During the conversation of how I did it, she was persistant, she asked what was my calorie count. I told her it didn't matter what my calorie/carb count was to her. What mattered is what her body needed. Did it matter what my budget was for the house? No. Same for food requirements. What she needed was unique to her. And if her metabolism is slow, so what. Really, what are you going to do about it? Build muscle mass. Give that a rest unless one is young and a professional athlete type. Not the usual person on wieght loss boards. Accept that it is, and deal with it.

I am working on my 1 year anniversary of CC (October 6), 6 months in maintanence with my first goal. Bright Angel, you are one of those I owe more than I could ever begin to repay. My life is so much happier. My family is much happier. Thank you a few days in advance.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Kathleen wrote:It's occurred to me that the restrictive eaters
can't manage to continue calorie counting when under a lot of stress,
but I also think that at some point those who calorie count just give out.
That's my perspective from giving out so many years ago.
That's why I am so stubborn in trying to find a way to lose weight without portion control.
While it is true that many people get tired of calorie counting (wear out);
and many people don't manage to continue calorie counting under stress,
this is not ALWAYS the case.

For example, in my own case, for the past 6 years
I have continued to consistently log ALL of my food into my computer software food log
EVERY SINGLE DAY, and this program counts the calories and other nutritional values of that food.
That computer program says that today is the 2205th day without any missing data.

This does NOT mean that I never overate or never binged during the past 6 years,
It merely means that I ALWAYS entered ALL of my food into the journal.
It became, and is, a HABIT.

This is the principal of ACCOUNTABILITY.
I am accountable for every bite I eat....
even on vacation days, sick days, stress days.
NO MATTER HOW HIGH MY FOOD-INTAKE, I LOG IT.
This has provided me with long-term success.

My life has not been stress-free during this process.
I have all of the ongoing NORMAL stresses of life, both good and bad,
and I have also had some EXCEPTIONAL stressing circumstances.
I'm going to list some of them below,
not to show myself as a "victim",
but as an example of the stress one can go through while successfully counting calories.

For Example:

I have two unmarried adult children.
During my weight-loss phase, my son was severely burned in a fire,
and spent over a month in a hospital burn unit
in severe pain, receiving skin graphs.

During my maintenance-phase, my daughter was in the hospital in a coma
due to a self-inflicted injury, and upon physical recovery spent long periods
in mental health facilities, which resulted in long-term disability SSI,
making her mother (me) the one responsible for handling her income.

During my weight-loss phase, I was responsible for my aging mother,
who had Alzheimer's,
and was the one who had to place her in a facility,
visit her daily, advocate for her, and witness her death.

During my maintenance phase, my father-in-law died;
we were forced to place my disabled mother-in-law into a nursing home,
where she was visited frequently until her death, about 6 months ago.

During my maintenance phase, the nephew with whom I had a close relationship,
became a Marine, and spent a tour in Iraq, and after coming home safely,
spent another tour in Afghanistan, which resulted in a purple heart.

During the past 4 plus years of my maintenance phase,
my husband has had eye surgery twice, as well as another unrelated surgery.

During my maintenance phase, three years ago, I had a life-threatening medical condition,
which resulted in emergency surgery and hospitalization for 10 days.
During this time I lived on IV's, and was unable to log my food,
but as soon as I was released from the hospital and returned home,
I logged in estimates of the amounts of all the liquid food I received,
during that past 10 days, and continued with my ongoing food entries.

During the past 6 years,
I have also had numerous vacations, holidays, and celebrations...all involving food.
I overate during many of those,
but NO MATTER HOW MUCH I ATE, I LOGGED IT ALL.

And So Life Goes.
During that time, I also brushed my teeth, combed my hair,
got dressed daily, and used the toilet when necessary..
I prioritize entering my food into my computer journal as equal to,
or more important than, those activities.

I know for a fact that one CAN develop a HABIT of counting calories; and
I know for a fact that one CAN continue counting calories under stress;
and the truth is, IT ISN"T ALL THAT DIFFICULT.
Except to my family and friends, I'm not all that Special,
and this is something ANYONE can do, IF THEY DECIDE TO.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:23 pm

HI BrightAngel,
I read your posting and thought of the idea that the only people you know without problems are those you don't know well. Thanks for describing this. It is a matter of priorities.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Daily Check-in vs. General Discussion Threads

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Kathleen, Thanks for your positive comment. Image

I've developed this method of Responding to certain Comments
by making them here in my personal Thread,
because it is less intrusive, and because it places my comments together
where they are more easily accessible to those who are interested in my point of view.
I recently made this post inside the General Discussion Thread.
amarbach wrote: I don't post here often but I read posts all the time.
I always come away with some great idea or inspiration.
Along with several other members, I use my Individual Daily Check-in Thread
to post on-point personal comments and helpful or inspirational quotes.
These are posts that may be helpful to seek out and read.

Since these are "personal" and not "general" Threads,
If a reader feels a need to make a lengthy or negative comment
about a past-post read in a Daily Check-In Thread,
.....(in order not to "Hi-Jack" that Individual's Thread)....
these responsive comments can be made by PM (personal message) to that Individual member,
OR a New Topic can be started on the subject in the General Discussion Thread,
which will invite unlimited comments on the subject from all forum members.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi BrightAngel,
One thing that is interesting to me about your experience is that you look upon logging your food intake as what is necessary to follow with "perfect compliance." I have sporadically tried logging my food intake as a way to control amounts, and it didn't work in a spectacular way. As you remind people, we are all an experiment of one, and we are all different.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks KCCC for posting your response on the General Discussion Thread.
It is SUCH a GREAT post, that I am copying it here for easy reference.
KCCC wrote:This post is prompted by two things...

First, I've been going through a rather stressful period in my life, and have found that No-S has helped a great deal. Under stress, I used to have two reactions. The most common was emotional eating, to avoid whatever-it-was I needed to deal with. The second was an inability to eat at all (rarer, but also not good for health). With No-S, I avoid both of these extremes, and both my weight and my health benefit.

Second, BA just posted on her personal thread a review of some of the stressful times in her own life - some of which are quite intense, in my view - during which she kept up her habit of calorie-counting and logging her calories. She writes:
And So Life Goes.
During that time, I also brushed my teeth, combed my hair,
got dressed daily, and used the toilet when necessary..
I prioritize entering my food into my computer journal as equal to,
or more important than, those activities.
(She also asks that lengthy replies - especially those that might engender extended discussion - not be put on her personal thread. I am opening discussion here out of consideration for her preferences.)

Now, though I have a great deal of respect and liking for BA, she and I hold almost opposite views on many, many topics related to this forum. :) Artificial sweeteners come to mind. Calorie counting, for sure (here's a prior discussion on that). There's probably more. Yet with these widely divergent perspectives and practices, both of us have been relatively successful at maintaining our weight over time.

The common thread here is that both of us have built habit-systems that work for OURSELVES, as individuals, and both of us have worked to make them rock-solid. I see that as the KEY to No-S - developing habits that work day in and day out, whatever else is going on.

And one of the things I value about this board is that, as a group, we accept and acknowledge that there will be individual variation in those habits. One person will feel the need to limit carbs, another MUST have them or feel unsatisfied. One person will choose to eat organic, whole foods, and another will eagerly try the latest low-something food product. We have very, very different approaches. (I suspect that's in part because individuals really do process food differently - at least, that's my conclusion over extended observation. But I digress.) And the tone of most advice is "here's what worked for me, or what I think, but 'your mileage may vary.'" To me, BA's expression that "We are all an experiment of one" beautifully sums up that perspective.

The nice thing about habits is that once they're in place, they're pretty much automatic! I don't even think about snacking any more, even though at one point I consumed far more in snacks than meals and thought I'd NEVER build the no-snack habit. And BA clearly has NO trouble logging her calories, even though I would run screaming at the idea. ;)

And once the initial habits are solid, then you can add another. Then another. When you look back over time, you've radically changed what you do... but the gradual process has kept you from resisting.

All of which reinforces my perspective that the most important aspect of No-S is habit-building. And I'll add to that respecting the "experiment of one" that we all are. Thanks again, BA, for that wonderful phrase.

Just another bloggy post... ;)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Kathleen wrote:As you remind people, we are all an experiment of one, and we are all different.
Each of us brings our own experiences and knowledge to the "dieting table".
I have already posted a bit about my own experiences earlier in this Thread,
however, for those who haven't read it, or don't recall it,
I'm posting this recent dialogue from another forum which I frequent.
Member of Another Forum wrote:Bright Angel, Personally, most of us are not perfect,
and trying to lose weight from above 200 lbs is very difficult.
I do appreciate most of your wisdom and advice
but also do consider that you have had bariatric surgery
which make your challenges a bit different than others'.
Prior to 18 years ago, when I had bariatric surgery,
From the age of 9 until age 48,
I spent my lifetime yo-yo dieting, losing more than 100 lbs 3 separate times,
and regaining it all, plus more, 3 separate times,
while losing and regaining 20 to 50 lbs numerous times.

As an overview, I'll list a few of my dieting efforts.
When I was in my teens and twenties, I took various diet pills,
while under the care of various "diet doctors";
I've joined and participated in Weight-Watchers more than 15 times;
I'm a lifetime member of Jenny Craig;
I participated in Nutri-System and many more commercial diet organizations;
I followed numerous popular diets, both “fad†and “healthyâ€;
I counted calories, points, carbs, meals, and bites;
I worked to eat only when Hungry;
I worked to eat only what “hummed†to me;
I belonged to numerous Gyms; and engaged in various exercise activities;
I spent about 4 years as a TOPS member;
I spent 5 years as a very active Overeater's Anonymous member;
I participated in a 6 month doctor's assisted, liquid-fast program;
I participated in an outpatient, eating disorders program;
I also spent almost 20 years in individual Therapy...
...much of which was spent on issues surrounding my weight.

Finally, 18 years ago at age 48, weighing 271 lbs. at a height of 5'0",
I had an RNY gastric bypass,
with NO removal of any intestine,
which means that every calorie I eat is still digested,
and still counts.
The surgery made my stomach smaller,
and the first 6 to 8 months immediately after surgery,
my body would allow me to eat almost nothing.
Due to food intake of about 500 calories a day,
my weight dropped from 271 down to 160 lbs..at a height of 5'0".

For the next 2 to 3 years I maintained in the 160s
while eating as much food as my body would tolerate,
however, my stomach begin stretching, and my body began to tolerate more food,
and again, I had to begin dieting to keep my weight down.
For the next 10 years, I did this, but my weight kept creeping up.
I felt I simply could not bear weighing over 200 lbs again,
after all my effort, pain, and expense,
and my struggle allowed me to maintain in the 190s for several years,
before September 2004, when I began logging my food into DietPower.

At that point, I begun losing weight, and
about 16 months later, I reached my goal weight of 115 lbs.
This was the first time I weighed 115 lbs since I was a Freshman in High School,
and at that time (1959), I did it while using Dr.-supervised, prescription diet-pills
For the 4 3/4 years since that time,
I have maintained at or near my goal weight.
The only thing different this time, from all my other dieting attempts,
was the continual, consistent logging of ALL my food into this computer food journal.

My surgery still gives me one definite advantage,
in that my body won't tolerate much more than 3000 to 3500 calories
in one 12 hr time period,
which limits Binges to that amount.
My 6 years of detailed individual food and weight records
show that…(due to my size, my age, and my activity level)…
currently my personal daily energy burn for maintenance is about 1050 calories,
so it is still physically possible for me to gain 3/4 of a lb of fat in one day...
which is 5 lbs per week; 20 per month; and over 100 lbs in 6 months.

Your statement indicates that you are of the opinion
that because I had bariatric surgery 18 years ago,
it is now easier for me to lose and/or maintain weight
than it is for you and for most other people.
I beg to differ with you.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Here is another Great Post by a No S Member,
about her successful experience with weight loss.
I am posting it here for easy reference.
connorcream wrote:Calorie Counting A Year Later
October 6, 2010
130.4#: Lost 61.6#
(Last time was at this weight May 1987)

A year has passed with calorie counting as my method of weight loss. I think it might be helpful to summarize my efforts. As background, I will review my weight history and my responses. As a child I was not overweight. I ate what was prepared for me by my mother. The family ate three times a day, a snack after school sometimes, and never before dinner because it would spoil our appetites. We did not eat in our rooms nor while watching TV in general. We could see the TV from the kitchen table and it would be on. But as for TVs in other rooms, we did not cart our food to them. My mother was not a baker so we did not have desserts often. When I began to cook, I usually made the desserts.

I did not start having weight problems until I started to have children combined with a busy life- undergraduate and graduate school in demanding, low acceptance rate, high failure rate programs. I am very academic and scientifically driven so it seemed to me that when one had a problem, in this case excess weight, then one would turn to the experts in weight loss regimes. I joined Weight Watchers and lost successfully two times covering almost 30 yrs. In fact, I am a lifetime member with a key in the drawer and my original books and materials too. After several years passed and I more children were born, coupled with moving and various stresses, I again gained weight. I really did not have time for meetings with a demanding home life so I started to look for another method. I found South Beach, I liked the broader health approach, the author being a cardiologist, I followed it, lost successfully again, and maintained for several years. Diabetes is a concern in my life and I liked learning about the glycemic index and carbohydrates role with it.

But life continued to unfold, I had more children, moved again, gained weight and stumbled across another diet, NoS, online. It was from a money forum that I had frequented. At this time we were living in a rent house while our home was being built. Half of our belongings was in storage, and Nos appealed to me because of the lack of detail required to be successful. I was told not to weigh myself as that was not accurate but rather to use my clothing fit and body measurements as a guide. I did not need portion control or food group avoidance. As my bathroom scale was not convenient in the rent house and my life was in disarray, relatively speaking for me, this seemed approach seemed so attractive. The only portion control was a plate. Nothing could be easier and more appealing. My previous attempts had all proven successful without me having to learn about nutrition in a precise way, so I assumed I would have the same outcome. Concurrently, my dear husband and I had adopted the cash envelope system a couple years earlier for managing our money which engendered great success. I thought the plate approximated an envelope and was yet another reason to expect success with NoS.

However, I did not lose on Nos, I gained and by the time I stepped on the scale after using this approach for almost 18 months I had gained 12#. I felt a crazy as I would read about others losing so easily and happily. What was I doing wrong? Not to worry, it could take several attempts, the weight loss is slow (moderate). Looking back it is a wonder I did not gain more.

My breaking point came on October 6, 2009 when I tried to put on my capris and I could not even get them over my hips. I had bought into striving for a moderate weight attained by moderate eating. What I really got was fat, 5# from being obese. Enough was enough. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is insane and I was tired of being stupid. This one time failure turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to my health. I had also learned about the indispensable role habit plays in success and I applied this knowledge to my previous dieting successes and decided to craft my own program.

I was ignorant about nutrition. I was dependent on some other entity for doing my thinking for me in the most important area of my life, my health. I did not know 3500 cal=1# or that a calorie is not a calorie. Because I had belonged to gyms in the past I knew how little exercise burns off calories, so focusing on the food seemed logical to me. I had read posts by Bright Angel discussing calorie counting which I had dismissed as being too obsessive and restrictive. I was now disgusted enough with my weight to try calorie counting. It was also providential that I had gotten an iTouch for my birthday a week earlier. So I was playing around with it, downloading apps, one of the first being Nutrition Menu. I could not use Diet Power, as she had used, because I have a Mac. She rightly said recording my food intake would be very helpful. I would use LoseIt later as well as Fitday, each having a role in my journey. I used dietphysics with weight loss tracking.

I began my calorie counting, while traveling to NASA with the children, meeting family, for a home schooling day. I first logged my calories in Nutrition Menu in the breakfast buffet area of the Hampton Inn. That night we were eating at a wonderful Asian buffet as we had also visited the Emperor Qin Terra Cotta exhibit at the Museum .Afterwards I was figuring out the calorie counts of what I had eaten. Little did I know that I this most unlikely and difficult of starts would be how my diet would need to operate- on the go, traveling, with food journaling portable in my iTouch, full of sticker shock at the beginning. Sticker shock is what I call finding out the calorie counts for foods and being shocked out how caloric some food is, especially the healthy, pure clean local stuff. I started calorie counting right before the major eating holidays of the year too. There wa really a lot to fight against before I was sick and tired of being fat. Sitting here today, 60 #s lighter, thank you dear Lord for letting it be so. How much joy I would have missed this past year if had decided to wait for a better time.

I also began to learn about all aspects of weight management, nutrition, calories, carbs, exercise, building muscle mass, research articles, interviews, books, pedometers, calipers, BMI, resistance bands, etc,,, I found a supportive website, 3FatChicks, from reading an article on maintenance about how obese bodies are fundamentally changed by their weight gain. I learned tips from expert maintainers and within two months of calorie counting I began to think about my maintenance plan. I bought a very good scale, Tanita, put batteries in my Weight Watchers food scale, and began again. This time, I began counting and weighing daily knowing I would be doing this the rest of my life. It was as important as my daily prayer life, budgeting and balancing my checkbook, brushing my teeth, showering, cleaning my home, regular date nights with DH. In fact, I began to notice that anything in my life that was worthwhile required regular ongoing attention to detail. And how infantile of me it is to whine about calorie counting when one of my sons has Crohns. He MUST monitor his food intake every day, every meal. I thought of my family and friends who have diabetes and MUST take their blood several times a day plus be very mindful of their eating and the need to take medications. How much easier it is to just have to worry about weight. However at my large weight, my own health problems were just around the corner. In fact, I suffered greatly from this excess weight though I did not know it at the time. Now looking back, I wonder how I could have not known. How did I buy into accepting a higher weight than was good for me. How did I not see? Being tall helps to hide the extra pounds. Blindness can run rather deep.

My immediate goals are to continue my maintenance monitoring. I am close to my final weight so I am learning what to eat to maintain, the consequences of eating different calorie/carb ranges, and how to adjust for this. I have a maintenance graphic but the ranges continue to change so I have not posted it. I have successfully maintained for 6 months and I look forward to joining the National Weight Loss Registry in April 2011. I savor my success every day. I find myself savoring ordinary moments. It is so true that being thin and trim is better than being fat and overweight both for joy filled times and for sorrow enveloped moments. I have loved this time of self discovery. I have and will continue to develop delicious, filling, and nutritious meals for me and my family so I will not miss those foods which do not nourish me. I love clothes shopping, seeing my reflection in the mirror and looking at department store flyers. My capris, the ones that motivated me to calorie count still do not fit, they are too big:-)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:59 pm

BrightAngel,
Wouldn't it be nice if all you had to do was go through "bariatric surgery" and you magically became naturally thin? No calorie counting. No food monitoring at all. Just eat what you want because your body can only tolerate so much food.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Kathleen wrote:BrightAngel,
Wouldn't it be nice if all you had to do was go through "bariatric surgery"
and you magically became naturally thin?
No calorie counting. No food monitoring at all.
Just eat what you want because your body can only tolerate so much food.

Yeah, EVEN BEFORE surgery, I knew that I could NEVER become "naturally thin",
...........Even then, I knew that wish was merely a "pipe dream" a totally unrealistic fantasy...
on a level with a wish for the abililty to sprout wings and fly;
because I was aware I would still WANT to eat far more food than my body could tolerate,
however, the reason I went through what was then a very serious Experimental open surgery......
  • (which...BTW cost $50,000;
    caused Immense pain for several months and long-term discomfort;
    required a 2 week stay in a distant city, for both myself and my husband, because there was only one surgeon in California performing them at the time;
    required 6 weeks off work without pay, while still having to pay my staff and other office expenses;}
.......was due to the belief that I would never again need to moniter my food intake,
and would always be able to eat only small amounts of what I wanted
because my body could only tolerate what made and kept me slender.
I believed that this One Choice would make all my future eating choices easier,
and that it would become a form of automatic, involuntary portion control,
requiring little effort or thought from me.

Time proved this to be UNTRUE,
It is amazing how frequently and consistently one can inadvertently make oneself sick,
via one's eating choices,
and no matter how painful the experience, repeat it over and over again.
That personal glutteonous characteristic is not changed by surgery.

However, for me the experience was an extremely valuable one,
and, as does almost everyone else who has ALSO had a similiar surgery,
I can Honestly say that I would make the same choice again.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:21 pm

BrightAngel,
It's interesting that you went into the surgery thinking that your future eating choices would be easier. I also found it interesting that you could determine exactly what your maximum number of calories per day now is. I was wondering if you have ever described your experience with fasting.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Kathleen wrote:I also found it interesting that you could determine
exactly what your maximum number of calories per day now is.
I was wondering if you have ever described your experience with fasting.
I don't believe that I have discussed my fasting experiences in detail.
I'll give the issue some thought and make a future post about it.

I am able to determine my personal current calorie burn because of my personal data
that is now stored in my computer software food journal, DietPower.
Every day, for a bit more than 6 years now, I've entered all my food-intake into that food journal.
I've also entered my morning weight each day.

The DietPower program has functions which allows me to see my diet history.
I can see this as a list; or
I can see a day-to-day detailed accounting of my food and nutrition; or
I can easily access a summarized accounting, for...
the past week, the past month, the past quarter, or the past year.

Today, the program tells me that my past year's average calorie intake was 1042 calories.
I can see the amount of my stabilized weight for one year ago..Starting weight...
by looking at the list of my average weights during the week of one year ago;
and I can see the amount of my current stabilized weight (stabilized meaning average)....Ending weight...
by looking at the list of my weights this past week or so.
By subtracting my ending weight from my starting weight,
I can see exactly how much weight I lost or gained during that one year period.

So...since now I am the same weight that I was one year ago,
I know that the calories I ate this past year
is the number of calories it takes to keep my weight the same...
Therefore, I can see that my current calorie burn is approximately 1050 daily...
(as of this EXACT date, 1042 calories...but the next week or month...
this total could be a bit higher or a bit lower, so I rounded it to 1050.)

Along the same line, another function that I find interesting, is that
I can also access the program's calendar, and go back in time to a specific date...
and see exactly what I weighed and what I ate on that particular day.
From that date, I can also access a summarized accounting for the week,
the month, the year prior to that exact date.
For example.....should I wish to do so.....I could revisit Christmas Day,
12/25/2008
and see exactly What and How Much food I ate on that day;
exactly what I weighed on that date; and
access a summary of my calories and nutritional data for the month
or year prior to that specific date.

This personal data is valuable and motivating to me,
both my ongoing present data, as well as my past data,
and as I continue in my weight-loss/maintenance journey,
I continually find new things to do with it
which I find helps me implement various behavior changes.
This has become an enjoyable hobby for me.

Since I've been doing this so long, and this Habit is so well-estabished for me,
my daily food and weight input takes only a few minutes of my day.
The only lengthy periods of time are when I "play" with my past data
to accomplish some personal agenda.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Kathleen wrote: “Portion control†necessarily means eating less than you want,
so it necessarily requires willpower rather than habit.
PORTION CONTROL

One problem with this conclusion …
i.e. that "portion control always requires willpower,
and therefore cannot become habit",….
is that it is based upon an incorrect premise.

That premise…which is presented as a Truth and basis for the conclusion…
“Portion control necessarily means eating less than you wantâ€
is incorrect in several ways.

First, the term “portion control†actually means:
“a precise amount of content to control usageâ€

That precise amount could be any amount,
and actually could consist of a portion…or precise amount…
of food far more than one might desire to eat.

This can be true of any food, presented in any way.
For example, bulk commodies (such as salt) can be divided
into individual packages that are a more suitable size for individual households,
however, this doesn’t mean that one must consume the entire package at any one sitting.

A common definition of “portion controlâ€
is understanding how much a serving size is.
If one is counting calories…this would include
how many calories a serving contains.
A serving size could be ANY amount,
therefore “portion control†does not automatically limit size of a substance.

Nutritionists, and other “experts†like the USDA,
have devised simple formulas
to define a “portion†…or precise amount....of a specific food
for easy mental reference…and to provide a “common definition†for society.

Those common definitions are then easily used
by people to determine individually, what amount of specific foods
would be optimal for a person of that particular size
in order for that person to keep from gaining weight, or for weight-loss.
These simple formulas are used by many people to easily “eyeball†their food,
and consciously choose the proportions that will benefit them personally,

The existence of common portion definitions doesn’t necessarily limit food-intake.

It merely defines a specific size of food as a specific number of servings.
A definition doesn’t limit food-intake,
it merely provides a tool of knowledge.
One can still eat whatever amount of food they choose to eat,
but portion definitions bring Intellectual Awareness to the process.

The term “Control: merely means
to have power over, or to direct influence over…
So “portion control†is merely having power over
or directing influence over the specific amounts of food one eats.
EVERYONE necessarily does that every time they eat.

Assuming one has access to unlimited amounts of food,
one controls one’s food-intake portions
via the body’s physical reactions…such as discomfort, nausea etc,
or one can choose to control one’s food-intake portions
via their intellectual knowledge of what their body requires.
In modern civilization, most people use a combination of both methods.

HABIT and WILLPOWER

A Habit is a settled tendency or usual manner of behavior.
Specifically here, a behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition
that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance; and
an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary.

Habit comes from repeated behavior.

Willpower is defined as energetic determination.

Another problem with the conclusion in the above-quoted statement
i.e. “requiring Willpower rather than Habitâ€
is that it also implies the existence of an incorrect premise.

That premise…which is presented as a Truth and basis for the conclusion…
“Willpower …rather than or instead of …Habit
implies that Willpower and Habit are unrelated.
This is not the case, because Habits are ESTABLISHED…
i.e. brought into existence via some act of will…
…..one’s choice or determination…
and it initially takes willpower to establish a habit.

COMMON DEFINITIONS OF SERVING SIZES

For examples of the Definitions of common serving sizes:
According to the USDA, one serving equals:

• one slice of whole-grain bread
    1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta
    1/2 cup of mashed potatoes
    three to four small crackers
    one small pancake or waffle
    two medium-sized cookies
    1/2 cup cooked vegetables
    1 cup (four leaves) lettuce
    one small baked potato
    3/4 cup vegetable juice
    One medium apple
    1/2 grapefruit or mango
    1/2 cup berries
    1 cup yogurt or milk
    1 1/2 ounces of cheddar cheese
    one chicken breast
    one medium pork chop
    1/4 pound hamburger patty
Other common definitions translate the abstract information of serving size
into visual images that can be easily remembered.
For example, a single serving of:

• Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
    Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
    Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
    Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
    Apple is the size of a baseball.
    Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
    Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
    Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
    Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
    Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).
Last edited by BrightAngel on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:30 pm

BrightAngel,
Yes, I think there is a relationship between habit and willpower in that willpower is used to establish good habits, although bad habits can form without any effort or thought. I think the reason why I am so opposed to portion control is that you then don't know when you will feel satisfied whereas I feel satisfied at the end of every meal. The problem is not that my diet is hard. The problem is that my diet isn't getting me to an acceptable weight. I'll see where I am in early November. As always, your posts are thought-provoking.
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Image I believe that each of us has to find his or her own way.
All of the Weight-Loss/Maintenance research and theories contain flaws, and
each of us is individually conducting an Experiment of One.
"You see a lot of contradiction in diet books
and on diet blogs and message boards.
Some people will tell you to eat certain foods,
others tell you to stay away from them,
eat six meals, or maybe just three meals,
do aerobics, avoid aerobics,
take these pills, don't take any pills.

Nobody's right. Everyone's right.

You have to think of a diet as a trip home for Thanksgiving --
it's a personal destination
and you should know better than anybody how to get there.

If you're driving east on the highway heading home for Thanksgiving,
you'll see a lot of cars driving west.

If the person in the passenger seat said,
"There's a lot of people heading home for the holiday,"
you wouldn't turn to that person and flip out and say,
"What the hell!
What a bunch of retards!
Don't they know home is this way?"

But that is what diet writing often is --
people arguing over how to get home."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 pm

marygrace wrote:
BrightAngel wrote:It doesn't HAVE to take a lot of brain power, or will power to count calories.
Again, a plug for calorie counting via the use of a software computer program.

It's really easy to remember to walk to my computer,
click the icon that opens my software food journal,
use its search function to find the food I ate,
enter the amount I ate and hit a button.
Calories counted...over and done.
A 1 to 3 minute task.
The act of counting calories itself can be easy,
but we're talking about willpower--
as in, the willpower to resist dessert or seconds
or whatever food you're trying to avoid in an effort to lose weight.

I used to try to count calories.
Of course, it wasn't difficult to track the food that I ate
and add up the numbers,
but sometimes my cravings became too strong
and I'd eat sweets that I wasn't supposed to.

At that point, it didn't matter whether I was counting calories
or doing any other kind of weight loss stratgegy--
because I'd blew it for the day (or week),
I'd forget the plan and just keep eating.

After all, what would be the point of tallying calories
if they were going to end up being super high?
BrightAngel wrote:
marygrace wrote:After all, what would be the point of tallying calories
if they were going to end up being super high?
AH !!!
The ongoing necessary WILLPOWER exertion is merely
to get oneself to walk to the computer and input the data.

BUT the above-quote states the crux of the calorie counting issue !

The POINT is ACCOUNTABILITY,
and second POINT is HABIT.

Accountability. All of the food I eat includes calories.
My body uses these calories or stores them as fat.
There is no free ride.
Calories must be counted CONSISTENTLY...
without regard of the fact of whether it is 500 calories or 5,000 calories.
I am Accountable for what I put into my body....ALWAYS,
and therefore, I must input my food into my computer food journal ALWAYS.

Habit. In order to make calorie counting a HABIT,
I have to do it ALL of the TIME...every meal, every bite.
The easy way is to simply input that information into a software food journal..
To establish HABIT, I have to do it always...no matter what I eat..

THIS is, of course, the POINT!!!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 pm

I recently came across this terrific quote by a member of a different forum:
I am not here to decorate your world.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Another quote from a different forum member:
It is hard to live in a world that celebrates everything with booze and cake.
I was whining to my mom about this recently.
Just counting carbs was not working for me
because I was eating way too much food.
I started crying and said:
“I’m so confused now, I have no idea what I should be eating.â€

Her typical Zen response :
“Get quiet and listen,
you have the answer already, you just don’t like it.â€

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
Kathleen wrote:I was wondering if you have ever described your experience with fasting.
I don't believe that I have discussed my fasting experiences in detail.
I'll give the issue some thought and make a future post about it.

Without an enormous amount of summarization,
it is impossible for me to describe the various experiences
I've had with different fasting techniques.
So, for now, this is a brief summary of ONE of the methods
I've sometimes chosen to use.
In some future post, I will discuss my personal experiences with it.

This Fasting Method is called Fast-5.

Essentially, in Fast-5, one picks a 5 hour block of time during a 24 hour period,
and all of one's eating takes place within that 5 hour window of time.
This creates a 19 hour fast every day, and falls into the Intermittent Fasting definition.

Fast-5 can be used alone, or can be used along with other dieting plans,
including Low-Carb, Calorie-Counting, or a Plan like the No S Diet.
The basic No S Plan could still include...
No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds except sometimes on "S" days ..,
but would need to be modified to 1 or 2 meals, rather than 3 meals,
with ONLY zero-calorie beverages during the 19 fasting hrs outside the eating window.

The e-book is available for download for FREE,
and if you want a hard copy you can buy it through Amazon for $10.
http://www.fast-5.com/

Here is a copy of a Review on the book.

The Fast-Five Diet and the Fast-Five Lifestyle
a little book about making big changes’
by Bert Herring, M.D.

The title of this little book made me think it was about how to make quick easy meals suitable for eating ‘on the run’. But its not about that at all! It is far simpler and very comprehensive. The book has a total of 67 pages –many of which (in PDF format) are blank, or contain chapter headings, graphs or references. It is a very easy read – able to be done in less than an hour if you’re quick.

Bert Herring claims the book’s purpose is ‘improving lives through innovation and education’ yet it is in fact an old principle – which he acknowledges in the book. It is a refreshing look at how and why we eat with some great points to consider.

When I read a ‘diet’ book, I like to know why the author thinks the way he does, how we can implement his plan, when we’ll start to see results and a detailed meal example. The book covers three out of four of these categories making it a worthwhile read.

Why intermittent fasting?

Herring goes into quite a bit of detail with regard to why the body gets hungry and how we often misinterpret that hunger. He produces a convincing argument why he believes the way he does.

How does it work?

Essentially, all your eating is restricted to one 5 hour window every day. The method is outlined very simply and clearly and is easy to comprehend. Split up into two sections, the first describes the 5 simple steps in great detail and the second addresses 9 ‘problems’ people come across, Q & A, and the physiology of the diet.

The first section can be read in depth – which gives you detailed information on hormones, types of hunger and why fasting is good for the body – or it can be skimmed for the basics (which I mostly did!) and still perfectly understandable and able to be implemented.

When will you start getting results?

The author is careful to cover all bases when he starts talking results. We are warned that some people will adapt very quickly and begin to see results very quickly, while others will take a little longer. As a generalization, results will be seen after 3 or so weeks, and the goal should be at least a pound a week. There is also a lot of information as to how each ‘goal’ can be personalized, including lots of charts and graphs which are useful tools!

How do we put it into practice?

There is no meal guide included. It isn’t very specific about what to eat and what not to eat – a sample weekly meal plan would be a fantastic bonus for the book! What would happen if we followed this diet plan religiously and eat pasta and bread every 5 hour window?

As any diet book should have, there is sufficient warning given to those
who dare to try it out – yet the diet requires no complicated aspects like replacement meals, special pills or random herbs you’ve never heard of. I like it because it is simple, easy to read, and it makes sense.

One thing he perhaps over-emphasizes a bit is calorie-counting. The seems to detract from the simplicity of it somewhat!

The main issue I have with the book: the author commends artificial sweeteners – which really does not sit well with me at all! In fact on the website, Stevia is almost disregarded because it is not FDA-recommended – coming from the argument that even though it is natural and ‘non-caloric’, deadly toxins are also natural… yeah! I guess if you are considering intermittent fasting, it is likely you have considered other aspects of ‘healthy eating’ too so common sense almost applies here.

To Read or Not to Read?

Well, the fact that you can read it for free is a pretty compelling reason to give it an hour of your time. On the whole it’s a pretty good little book and the hard copy wouldn’t be a waste of money. Just be aware, without taking away from the good ideas the author has, some pages should be read with a grain of salt. I’ve started implementing it myself and have found it reasonably easy adjusting to the plan so far. Also, it means I have two less meals to think about and prepare!

BrightAngel

Heathy Lifestyles Have to Fit the Individual

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Healthy lifestyles are not just one of a kind;
they have to fit the individual.

Have you thought that if you could just do what someone else does,
you could look just like her/him?
Yet when you try to fit their routines into your life,
eat the foods they like, and do the fitness activities they love,
you’re miserable.
When you inevitably toss out their lifestyle, you feel like you failed.
It wasn’t you that failed.
It was just a bad lifestyle fit.

We are individuals on our own journeys and no two are exactly alike.
High-impact exercise is right for some, low-impact exercise is right for others,
and there is a large variation between types of “strength training†exercise.
Not everyone can work out for an hour at a time.
Some people need to break workouts up into very small time periods.

What about eating?
Some people need to follow a specific eating plan and have foods they never eat again.
However, this causes some people to feel deprived and leads to binge eating.
Some people need to eat what they want in smaller quantities,
while taking extra care to carefully log that food into their trackers.

Personally, I hate “Diet Police,â€
those well-meaning individuals who ask, "Should you be eating that?"
They try to control you all in the name of your good health.
For them though, those are reasonable answers to their own fitness problems.
They aren’t any more right or wrong than I am.
We are all out to save ourselves from obesity,
and there are many options out there.
The trick is finding what works for you personally.

With so much advice out there, so many tips and tricks,
so many magazines promoting “new miracle dietsâ€,
so many “medical discoveries†happening in the field,
the weight loss industry is huge.

Obesity is now considered an epidemic
and we are all responsible to find a cure.
It isn’t going to be a one cure fits all fix, like a vaccination.
We each have to find our own way.

We know some basics,
about how calories-in and calories-out
is a baseline answer for the physiological problem.
However, it is the genetics, disease related, psychological,
and who-knows-whatever-else problems
, that we need help to solve.
Those things are all variables to which there is more than one problem
and definitely more than one solution.

What works for me may not work for you.
What works for you or any movie star definitely does not work for me.
I mean…perhaps it could IF I were mentally and physically well
and I LOVED the gym and I LOVED not eating.
That isn’t most people, however.

What works is finding a way to change our lives without disrupting them severely.
That’s the trick.
Read, watch, listen, talk, absorb, gather all the information you can
and make those changes one by one as they suit you individually.

How do you know what fits your individuality
and how do you push out of your comfort zone without over doing it?
The change should fit into your life like a puzzle piece you’re trying out for a fit.
Keep turning it around and trying it at different angles to see if that’s the right one.
If it isn’t, it will never go in place.
Try another.

The change may feel slightly unnatural, but it shouldn’t make you panic.
That’s how you’ll know that it’s just enough of a change.
Stick with it until it feels natural and then try another change.

No lifestyle is one size fits all.
No single answer will solve all obesity issues.
Nobody is a failure at this complex problem;
they just haven’t found their individual answer yet.
Keep searching because it is out there.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrightAngel

REALITY CHECK

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Lets have a REALITY CHECK here. Image

For those of us who are obese, or like me “reduced obeseâ€,
our DEFAULT is the desire to eat
….whatever tasty food that is available…as frequently as possible…
which means whenever our stomachs have any room for food.

The concept: “unconditional permission to eat†is essentially Default eating.

We became obese because our Default eating provides our bodies
with more energy (calories) than our bodies can use.

Over eating… is simply taking in more energy than one’s body uses.
Under eating… is simply taking in less energy than one’s body uses.

The No S Diet Habit Concept involves the Theory that
….with effort and specific rules…
we can establish a New Default for 5 days a week (“N†days)
…and, eventually…after time…that New Default
will ALSO “bleed over†to become the norm on most “S†days.

When Default eating involves Extreme Overeating…
avoiding weight-gain means that there has to be
an equal or larger number of days which involve “Under eatingâ€.
Image One can use whatever Term one wishes to define “under eating†days.
Whether they are called “N†days, or “portion-control†days, or “fasting†days,
in order to avoid weight-gain,
there must be equalizing periods of under eating
to compensate for periods of overeating.

In order to cause weight-loss,
the Balance must shift toward
far more under eating periods than overeating periods.
This means.....the MAJORITY of one’s eating periods can’t be DEFAULT eating…
as long as “unconditional permission to eat†is Overeating…
....i.e. taking in more energy than one’s body uses.

Most people…on some level…understand they can’t out exercise a bad diet.
The following link is an amusing visual comparison on diet vs. exercise.
Watching that visualization is helpful to implant that concept more firmly in one’s mind,
and I recommend that everyone,
even people who think they already know and understand that concept,
watch it all the way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbuzsY_34Q

It is almost impossible to “out exercise a bad dietâ€, AND
it is ALSO extremely difficult to out-diet, or out-fast,
frequent periods of Binge eating.

Whether or not one chooses Calorie Counting
as a method to limit food-intake, just
DO THE MATH.

The average 5’6†female, age 45, who lives a normal sedentary lifestyle,
at a weight of 200 lbs, uses about 1800 – 2000 calories of energy daily, and.
at a weight of 160 lbs, uses about 1600 – 1700 calories of energy daily.
For that “average†female…
Anything above that energy level is essentially “Overeatingâ€
and anything below that energy level is essentially “Under eatingâ€.

Taking the ubiquitous 2000 calorie number that most “experts†like to use,
2000 multiplied by 7 (1 week) = 14,000 calories.

Just one “S†day….or “unconditional permission to eat†day…or “binge†day…
can easily consist of an amount of food that totals 5000+ calories.
14,000 calories minus 5,000 calories equals 9000 calories.
9000 calories divided by 6 (the remaining days of the week) equals 1500 calories.

This is just the way the Body works.
An obese, or a “reduced obese†Body wants a great deal of food..
It wants to eat at least as much food as is necessary to sustain its current body weight.
No Magic here. Image
This is a physiological truth…not merely a moral or psychological problem.

In a fasting example the same problem exists…
Even if one fasts 3 times a week, not eating until 5 p.m.
By eating rich foods, one can easily eat more than 2000 calories AFTER 5 pm.
and even if one makes the choice not to do this,
one can easily eat far more than 2000 calories on subsequent non-fasting days.

For example:
1 normal size homemade tollhouse chocolate-chip cookie is about 200 calories.
2 dozen such cookies, eaten throughout the day is 4,800 calories.
If one even eats small meals that same day, one will probably exceed 6,000 calories.
So eating 2000 calories the next several days will not be a
sufficient “under eating†period to overcome that “overeating†period.

So, get into REALITY.
DO the MATH.

This link is can help you calculate what is the AVERAGE calorie burn
for your sex, height, weight, and age.
CAUTION:…these are only estimates, and averages.
A great many obese people ACTUALLY USE FAR LESS than the numbers contained in these tables.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
Last edited by BrightAngel on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Kathleen wrote: ...."changes in my eating that naturally occur"....
BrightAngel wrote:I believe you have stated your difficulty here "in a nutshell".
No matter what the food plan is....or whether or not it includes fasting,
The CHANCES THAT THE KIND OF CHANGE...
in any Obese person's eating Habits that will cause any kind of substantial weight drop....
WILL EVER "NATURALLY OCCUR" are almost ZERO.

There is no scientific, or historical evidence, supporting this Desire.
It is merely a Wish that will always remain unfulfilled.
Obesity is a PHYSICAL problem...a problem OF THE BODY,
not just a moral or philosophical, or mental problem.

An Obese body will do everything in its power
....which includes using its Hormones to make one feel famished,
and to slow down its own metabolic functions....,
to maintain or exceed its current weight..
as a simple matter of survival, no matter how fat it might be.

An Obese body will never NATURALLY become a Normal weight body.
Intuitive eating might bring psychological peace
and acceptance of obesity to a person with an eating disorder,
but it won't bring an obese body to "normality" without effort.
Also Fasting doesn't commonly provide a religious "miracle" such as "divine healing".
Fasting can temporarily relieve one from Hunger,
but when Hunger returns, it brings along its friends.

Both Initial and Ongoing EFFORT is a requirement of such change.
As long as one continues to expect one's Body to correct itself NATURALLY,
one will remain obese.

ACCEPTANCE of this issue is the STARTING Point of a weight-loss journey.
But there are many "Experts" out there
...including trainers, nutritionists, and psychologists...
who pander to the unrealistic dream of weight-loss without effort
to benefit themselves financially.
While some of these are mis-informed,
many of them simply provide "well-intentioned", "motivating" lies.

My Thread contains recent posts which could be helpful for weight-loss.
There isn't just ONE way, but EVERY way takes effort.
For an Obese person, weight-loss and maintenance of weight-loss, is not a "NATURAL" occurance.
It will always involve...in some manner...
fighting the desire to overeat
that is NATURALLY created by one's obese or reduced obese body.
Kathleen wrote:The idea of using fasting to "naturally" reduce desire for food is not, for me,
grounded in any sort of thought that I could be the recipient of a divine miracle.
What Pieper says about Aquinas' view is that fasting is part of natural law:
natural law is the basis of religious law but is not dependent on it.

I am not a religious scholar. I am not a philosopher.
I have had zero familiarity with the history of fasting
since I started doing research in the last year or so.
I am exploring what I think may be present based on a few scattered references.

Could I be wrong?
Absolutely.
The bottom line is this: I prefer being obese to constant restriction of calories.
You may well be right.
What's nice is that you have pinpointed where we disagree.

TexArk

on calorie counting

Post by TexArk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm

I have been following your discussion with Kathleen for a very long time. I identify with both of you. I have a very similar diet history with Kathleen and am about the same height and weight. I kept weight off for about 5 years by meticulously recording and journaling my food. I had success with counting WW points even though I fought it and still think it caused way too much food obsession. Unlike you, when parent's strokes and Alz's came my way, as well as mental illness issues with other immediate family I could not keep it going. Like Kathleen I tried intuitive eating and normal eating. But as you so succinctly explained the obese can not expect to have a normal default. As I struggled with all the family care I was responsible for as well as an accident on the ice last winter I tried to follow NoS. Alas, I gained it all back again. I am like Kathleen in that I rebound to bingeing after deprivation. I have measured and weighed and planned food menus for years.

Now the reason for my post. I noticed in one of your posts that you said that you used Diet Power to record your food whether you were over your calorie budget or not. Of course, I knew that, but for some reason that struck a chord for me. I decided that I would try the 15 day trial and just record my food and exercise. That way I would be honest with myself about how many calories I was averaging over the long term. No more starting over...as you have discussed. I would basically follow the 3 meal a day plan, but if I wanted an apple in the middle of the afternoon, so be it. (one of my pet peeves with NoS). I had tried other accounting programs but they were too time consuming. Lo and behold! Diet Power is sooo easy and it is almost like a game. I have just faithfully recorded and have even been out of town to take care of relatives, etc and it has been so easy. And I have steadily lost while enjoying my meals. This week I am finally weighing under 200. I am not deprived and I am not compulsive about how many points or calories I have used or how many I have left. I just record and it is working. I love the banking concept, too.

Thanks for your thoughtful posts. I am in my sixties and have been working on this weight thing for over 40 years and have tried to work my own plan all this time. I need both accountability and habit. I know it is a personal journey, but this is the most comfortable plan I have ever done. The habit is the entering in Diet Power. I know this sounds like a commercial, and I guess it is an unpaid one! Thanks.

BrightAngel

Re: on calorie counting

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:54 pm

TexArk wrote:Diet Power is sooo easy and it is almost like a game.
I have just faithfully recorded
and have even been out of town to take care of relatives, etc
and it has been so easy.
And I have steadily lost while enjoying my meals.

I need both accountability and habit.
I know it is a personal journey,
but this is the most comfortable plan I have ever done.
The habit is the entering in Diet Power.
TexArk,
Prior to using this computer software food journal,
I also found calorie counting so burdensome as to be almost impossible,
and I am Thrilled by the fact that it now has become an enjoyable Habit for me.
I'm so glad you were willing to try out the method, Image
that you've had success with it,
and that you shared this with me.
Thanks.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 pm

BrightAngel wrote: Prior to using this computer software food journal,
I also found calorie counting so burdensome as to be almost impossible,
and I am Thrilled by the fact that it now has become an enjoyable Habit for me.
I'm so glad you were willing to try out the method, ]
I could not use Diet Power because I have a Mac. However, BA gave me wise, priceless advice, use the technology I have, recording is valuable in and of itself. So, I used my iTouch, 2 apps, one which syncs to my iMac and has an online component (LoseIt). It is incredibly easy, quick, and is as essential as brushing my teeth, balancing my checkbook, etc....

The technology makes all the difference!

Bright Angel, thank you again!
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Image Connorcream,
I am SO pleased to see your success.

connorcream

Re: REALITY CHECK

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Finally getting around to watching the clip. Fantastic. Copied and sent to interested family members, on the mark again. This was would be funny if it weren't so very true.

I enjoyed all of your reality check post.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:16 pm

ImageI'm very interested in a Concept
that is contained in Good Calories Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes,
who researches and writes about Scientific Controversy.

A simple breakdown of the concept is:
The Causation of Obesity – Two Hypothesis

First Hypothesis: is the Traditional, and commonly accepted view…
but which..as it turns out...is actually unsupported by scientific research.

In Hypothesis 1:
Obesity is caused by gluttony and sloth
..i.e. overeating and sedentary behavior.
This is a positive-caloric-balance/overeating hypothesis
which dictates that the primary defect is in the brain,
in the “regulation of ingestive behaviors,
particularly at the cognitive level.â€

Second Hypothesis: is an Alternative view...
which appears to be more accurate than the First…
....when viewed together with prior scientific research…,
but further research is still needed.

In Hypothesis 2:
Obesity is caused by a genetic metabolic defect,
a disorder of fat accumulation, not a disorder of overeating.
This is a defect in the body, rather than in the brain.
It is a regulatory defect in fat metabolism,
which is a defect in the distribution of energy,
rather than an imbalance of intake and expenditure
This disregulation causes side effects, which are gluttony and sloth..
...i.e. eating too much and exercising too little.

This second Hypothesis holds that this disorder of fat accumulation
in Humans is similar to what is seen in genetically obese mice.

“These mice can make fat out of their food
under the most unlikely circumstances,
even when half starved.
They will consume the protein in their muscles and organs
rather than surrender that fat in their adipose tissue.
Indeed when these fat mice are starved,
they do not become lean mice,
but become emaciated versions of fat miceâ€
In 1936 Francis Benedict (of the Harris/Benedict BMR formula)
fasted a strain of genetically obese mice,
and reported that they lost 60 percent of their body fat
before they died of starvation,
but still had five times as much body fat as lean mice
that were allowed to eat as much as they desired.
I am currently very interested in the conflict between these two Hyphthesis.
One of the reasons for my extreme interest
is the continuing physical difficulty it takes to maintain my current weight-loss,
even after 5 years at or near this weight.

Much of my life I've had to live on "starvation rations",
and I relate strongly to the Hunger that was constantly felt
by those men who participated in the Keys Experiment.
In order to avoid obesity, I expect...and Accept... that
I might need to live with it for the rest of my life.

However, if a better...or easier...way to do this exists,
I certainly want to know about it.
This is one of the reasons for my continual Experimentation with various food-plans and diets.
I've found many Helpful tips, such as the No S "Habit" concept,
but I have not yet found an effective food-plan
that will keep my body at its current weight
while allowing me to live comfortably...long-term.

As I've stated previously in a previous post in this Thread,
At this point, I've begun a personal investigation
on the issue of restricting carbohydrates as a regulation of Insulin,
and the relationship that such behavior might have
with Hunger, Cravings, and Weight-Loss/Maintenance.
This is an ongoing process, and I have not yet reached any conclusion.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm

This is a copy of a Post I made on another Thread.

People online tend to throw around the term "starvation mode" quite a bit.
I've done a great deal of research on this issue,
and as a result I agree with the Experts who say that
"starvation mode"...as it is commonly defined...is a Myth.
Starvation mode doesn't happen in a normal person until one is actually starving.
Here is a picture of the men in the famous Keys experiment who were in "Starvation mode"...

Bottom line, if you are a relatively normal person,
AND have MORE body fat than this,
you are not in "starvation mode".
Here is one of my favorite quotes from an expert on the Metabolism issue.
"Unless you have a degree in human biology
…and in many cases even if you do…you do not understand what ‘metabolism’ means.
Eating Less Calories isn't Dangerous for your Metabolism,

This word gets thrown around the fitness and diet media
and is used to scare people into thinking there is a dangerous level of calories
that will destroy their metabolism.
This of course is a false premise considering your ‘metabolism’ isn’t a thing
that can be destroyed or sped up or slowed down (not without drugs).

“Metabolism’ is just the sum of the processes of your body on a cellular/systemic level
…that’s it…that’s all it’s ever been…nothing more.
So what…who cares.
Why do fitness marketers keep talking about it?! I’ll never know.

And there is virtually nothing you can do to change this.
Eating at or below your actual BMR isn’t going to ‘damage’ your metabolism
any more than eating above it.
And speaking of which, why don’t marketers
suggest that there could be ‘metabolic damage’ when people overeat!? …anyone…anyone?
Right, just what I thought, this lie doesn’t lead to lucrative weight loss products.

The following claims are false
and are your best way to know that a person is clueless
about biology and physiology and nutrition if they say:

• Eating too few calories is going to ’slow’ your metabolism
    (unless they’re referring to people who are starving to death…and are in fact about to die)

That there are foods that can ‘damage’ your metabolism

That you can speed up or slow down your metabolism
    (without drugs…and that this would be a good thing in either direction)

That a slow metabolism is responsible for weight gain

That a fast metabolism is responsible for weight loss

That you have any control whatsoever over your metabolic rate

That your meal timing or exercise timing can affect your metabolic rate

…and any other garbage claim you hear from any fitness marketer
    with the word “metabolism†in it…
If you see any of the above claims,
you can be assured that the person who said them
is sorely lacking in their understanding of how the body works.

If you want to lose weight…
....EAT LESS than you are currently eating
End of story."

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:04 pm

I agree that there must be some reason formerly obese persons have to regulate and work so hard to maintain their weight loss (even being hungry most of the time in some cases). I have known very few formerly obese persons who have been able to keep the weight off and every one of them work very hard at it. Their default is never "normal." Their "normal" has to be overridden constantly.

I have not done research but I have made many observations over the years. The hereditary/environment and temperment studies have always interested me. Studies of adopted children/birth children are also interesting. I have known families where the adopted child was able to maintain a very normal weight where the rest of the family could not and vice versa.

Have you seen the identical twin studies showing how similar twins are even though they were separated at birth and were raised by entirely different families and lifestyles? It is amazing to see that their body composition is almost identical despite the weight of the parents and siblings they grew up with. So much for environment vs genetics when it comes to weight issues.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:01 pm

This is a copy of a post on another Thread Image
BrightAngel wrote:
wosnes wrote: Another tip that I discovered by accident
and was suggested to a friend by a dietitian
is to consume more calories -- about 200 more daily.
In her case it was another meal daily;
in my case it was just a little more of more calorie dense foods.
When it comes to Weight-loss issues,
people...including "Nutritional Experts"....
have difficulty distinguishing between ASSOCIATION and CAUSATION.

Increasing calories to lose weight is a commonly repeated Myth.
but even though this is sometimes Associated with weight-loss,
Increasing calories never Causes fat loss.

Dieting people frequently hold onto water,
and fat loss doesn't always show up immediately.
Sometimes during a long period of reducing calories,
one loses fat from fat cells, but those cells repace the lost fat with water.,
This results in an outward show of zero change in both weight and size.

When this occurs, sometimes a slight increase in calories
will shift the body's "balance" and cause the fat cells to release that water.
Since this makes prior weight-loss visible,
people mistakenly believe that eating higher-calories CAUSED lost fat loss,
when in fact this was merely an ASSOCIATION.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Thank you Bright Angel for posting these two well written texts. These two topics have become my top pet peeves for misinformation with dieting- the starvation myth & eat more calories to lose weight. I have copied these posts for my own private journal to refer back to when I see this posted elsewhere. You should write a book! I would be your first customer. My third pet peeve, is lose weight slow for more successful maintanence.

I think these concepts are so annoying to me because it makes the weight loss process so much harder, longer and thus more likely to fail. There are enough factors conspiring against one, that adding to it is folly.

I try to remember when offering my thoughts a caveat to causation and correlation. It takes time and careful observations to distinguish between the two. A food journal, daily weighing of self, and measuring food are invaluable tools in making these judgements.

I hope you have a marvelous day.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm

connorcream wrote:
These two topics have become my top pet peeves for misinformation with dieting-

the starvation myth
&
eat more calories to lose weight.

My third pet peeve, is
lose weight slow for more successful maintanence.

Image Yes, I agree.
All 3 of those frequently repeated dieting MYTHS are especially annoying,
because such ill-advised beliefs mislead well-intentioned people into eating Behaviors
that hinder them from achieving positive weight-loss results.

It is difficult for some people to understand that a Mythical idea doesn't become true,
just because it is frequently repeated....
not even when that Myth is recited by an alleged "nutrition expert".

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

I can have it ALL,
just not at the SAME time.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Here's a copy of a post from a successful weight-loss Maintainer on another Forum,
who agrees with me about the Intuitive Eating Concept.

Intuitive eating can be a wonderful way to make peace with eating issues and take the good/bad and black/white thinking out of food choices. But I haven't seen any evidence that it's an effective strategy for weight loss or maintenance, unfortunately.

I could have maintained 257 pounds with intuitive eating -- and did for years, in fact -- but that would have meant remaining morbidly obese. In order to achieve a healthy body weight, I had to count calories, weigh portions -- all the usual stuff -- and I have no doubt that I will continue to need to do so for the rest of my life. It's completely the opposite of IE -- I guess we could call it Non-Intuitive Eating. But at this point, more than nine years into the process, it's effortless. And a very small price to pay for health and fitness!

If you've read about setpoints, you know that there's a lot of research out there about our body weight being controlled by 400+ hormones and biochemicals designed to maintain our current weight (even if it's obese). Once we lose 10% or so of our body weight, a physical process kicks in to defend our weight and return it to previous levels. The thinking is that it's relatively easy to manipulate weight within a 20 - 30 pound range, but once we get out of that range, we're fighting Mother Nature. At that point, intuitive eating will return us to our previously high weights because that's what our bodies are signaling us to do.

The problem with IE is that its fundamental premise is that when we listen to our bodies, we'll achieve and maintain a normal weight. The past fifty years of obesity research has shown that notion to be dead wrong for overweight and obese people. If we listen to our bodies, we'll stay fat. Instead, we need to be constantly aware of our food choices and make thoughtful decisions based on our rational brains, not our intuitive stomachs.

Having spent more than two decades being 100+ pounds overweight, it would be naïve to expect my body to self-regulate at a normal weight. I know never-overweight people who can do it, but me, with all my empty fat cells just waiting to be filled up again? Not happening, though I sure wish it would. But as Bright Angel said, it's just wishful thinking.

I don't mean to be a bummer about IE and it certainly is an enticing idea, but it just doesn't seem to work for most of us.
Size 22/size 4

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 am

Two maintainers for which I am deeply grateful. I had to post the same information on my thread for ease of reference.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:50 am

Wouldn't it be wonderful if it was true? It was the easiest diet I ever followed. Too bad I gained weight while following it...
Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Image Here's a copy of a post by
Someone with a Successful Attitude.
I had a moment a couple of months ago when I finally saw how big I was,
despite having lost probably 20 lbs or so by then.
I must have been in denial at my size for years,
despite intellectually knowing that I was morbidly obese.

Like others, I couldn't cope with thinking about the whole journey (100lbs +) –
it was just too overwhelming (and still is, some 8 months later with lots still to lose).

What really helped me put it into perspective is something a fellow weight-loss friend said -
"the time will pass anyway –
do you want to spend it losing weight or gaining?".

I've also found it helpful to think about losing weight as my first step to maintainance.

I know that I'll have to eat some version of low calorie for the rest of my life
if I'm to maintain a healthy body.
In the context of 'the rest of my life', the weightloss phase is relatively short.

So, I try to remind myself that

"the time will pass anyway, so I might as well spend it losing weight,
and in the context of the rest of my life,
the time it takes to lose the weight is relatively small.
All I can really do is focus on adhering to my plan each day
and trust that the weightloss will take care of itself in it's own time".

That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes wish it would hurry up. :lol:

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Image Another Great post about Intuitive Eating by another forum member:
I've lost anywhere from 20 to 100 pounds *multiple times*
only to return to morbid obesity *multiple times*
by eating mostly healthy foods in reasonable portions
(or at least that was what I told myself I was eating)
after I finished "dieting."

While I'd always heard
"don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do to maintain it,"
I thought that somehow the fat fairy was going to smile upon me
and give me a special dispensation.

I've been calorie counting, monitoring intake and burn,
consistently now, for just over a year
and I'm still not even close to figuring out when I am truly hungry,
in need of food....or just feel like I am....
without checking my food and burn logs.

I have no reason to believe that my
"I've had just the right amount of fuel today" button
....(which is broken in both directions, btw)... .
will ever work.
I'll never run a 4 minute mile or sing at the Met, either.
That's just life.

Start: 250+
Current: 180
Goal: 149
Height: 5'7"

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Here's an Inspiring post from one of our own No "S" forum members: Image
TexArk wrote:Still working the plan. Yesterday I made a list of all the diets I could remember that I had tried over the past 4 decades. It was amusing and instructive. Young folks could not identify, but it was like an archeological dig starting with Ayds candy and Debbie Drake LP workout records! When I think of all the books, magazines, and notebooks that I have bought and put together over the years it would fill a library!

The analogy of love affairs (not that this is my lifestyle or morality) comes to mind. I had several long term relationships, some short flings, some one night stands, and others never got to first base! Weight Watchers was the longest relationship off and on several times beginning with the original 5 fish meals, 1 liver, etc. Then there were various forms of low carb and low fat and meal replacement. I even tried very strict diets like Pritikin. I can see the appeal of intuitive eating for those of us who have spent years working all the other plans and are just tired of it and hope for normalcy. But as others have said it was a disaster and I tried several forms for 3 years as a maintenance plan. Result: more weight gain.

However, after a lifetime of working on this, I think I can say that I learned something from each approach. It may have damaged me in some way, but I choose to look at the positive. I have learned many types of foods and I would rather cook my own food than eat out. I know a lot about nutrition and exercise. I really have trained myself to prefer healthy, filling foods and many "bad" foods are just disgusting to me now.
And technology has finally come to my rescue. The ease of counting calories and all the nutrition labeling did not exist before as well as all the online support from groups such as this board. So I have no regrets.

It is a relief to know that I have settled on what I need to do from now on and the search is over. That doesn't mean that there is not more to learn, but the framework is there for me, and I will not veer off course any more chasing the impossible.

BrightAngel

Another post about Intutive Eating

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Image Here's the opinion of yet another person from another forum
with successful weight-loss and maintenance,
which....probably without meaning to....addresses the No "S" issues..

The definition of "intuitive eating" is a little vague.

True intuitive eating, in my opinion,
would be naturally and automatically eating the perfect amount of food.
To naturally eat a small treat once in awhile but never feel compelled to overdo it.

Intuitive eating should be effortless,
.........even if the process to achieve true intuitive eating would take lots of practice,
will power, and learning to listen to the body's cues........
The final product would be automatic;
eating the perfect amount of food to maintain one's weight
without making an aware effort to do so.
It would be the concept of:
"I'll just eat what I want, how much I want, whenever I want" ,
and to have that system maintain weight.

If I quit calorie counting (not that I want to), and ate intuitively, I would balloon quickly.
If I depended ONLY on the factors of
"I will eat what, how much I want, whenever I want,"
man, I'd chow down.
BUT, if I quit calorie counting, I could probably still maintain my weight
just by being very aware of what, how much, and when I was eating
...just without logging it.

I could maintain my weight
by making a conscious effort to choose
low cal whole foods,
reasonable portion sizes, and
no seconds or snacking, and
eating at regular times

But that would not be true intuitive eating,
it would still be a conscious effort to control my food...I just wouldn't be logging it.

I simply don't think I could ever achieve true intuitive eating and maintain my weight.
It's not worth it to me to find out if I can or not, really, it's not a goal that I feel compelled to achieve.
I'd rather just take 5 min out of my day and count calories, lol.

Start: 183
Current: 124.4
Goal: 125-130

Height: 5'7

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm

I love to share various posts and links here in my Personal Daily Thread.
Partly to help others who drop by, and partly for my own easy reference.

Several months ago I purchased a DVD documentary from Amazon titled "FatHead",
which was an amusing and entertaining way to view some of the concepts
contained in the book, Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
I've shared that DVD with my friends and family, who have expressed amusement and amazement.

Anyway....Yesterday I saw a 5 part lecture by the DVD's producer on YouTube,
which covers much of the material in the documentary.
Here are the links:

Big Fat Fiasco part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li ... re=related
Big Fat Fiasco part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmwNpUJU ... re=related
Big Fat Fiasco part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxDuLKz ... re=related
Big Fat Fiasco part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9mQ-QZk ... re=related
Big Fat Fiasco part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEayi6IB ... re=related

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:49 am

Outstanding links. Thank you taking the time to post them. They certainly ring true in my life.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks so much for the links. That was very interesting and eye opening!
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

We get many links on the General Discussion Threads Image
of this Forum about the "latest research" findings.
Here is a Very Interesting Article on that subject.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ence/8269/

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Kathleen wrote:I think you tend to crave foods you deny.

It's not that we eat too much sugar,
but it may be that we eat too little saturated fat.
Kathleen, Image
I'm so pleased that you followed and watched those 5 links.
I found it to be an interesting and entertaining presentation.

Re your comment about craving foods denied....
I know that this is one of the basic premises of the Intuitive Eating philosophy,
and personally, I've experienced cravings for foods that I've denied myself...
...Unfortunately, I also experience cravings when I DON'T deny myself.

Many people say....
that their own cravings for sugar, grain products, and starchy foods like potatoes, brown beans etc
(which are the higher carbohydrate foods - both refined and complex)
completely go away after a few weeks of abstinace from them. ..
and as long as they abstain from those foods, they don't crave them
UNTIL they choose eat such foods again. ..when the cravings descend upon them again.

Certainly there are genetic differences between people,
and I think there may well be a genetic condition
that makes some people less tolerant to sweet and starchy foods,
somewhat similiar to a lack of tolerance of Alcohol for Alcoholics.

I've seen times in my life where this has seemed to be true for me personally,
but to date, I've found myself unwilling to adopt a food plan with that long-term restriction.
Perhaps that is why I still HAVE severe food cravings...
even though for more than 5 years I've treated all foods as equal,
and merely worked to keep my calories down.
At this point, I just don't know.

Re your comment about sugar and saturated fat....
My problem with that concept is that everyone...across the board...
(except for the Sugar Industry)
...has always said that too much sugar is harmful ,
but until that "fat fiasco" happened..saturated fat was not considered to be harmful.

Even the "pro-saturated fat" people believe that sugar and refined starches,
whether or not combined with saturated fat, or any other kind of fat,
are ultimately harmful substances for the majority of people.

In fact when one looks at the data throughout all known history ...
it is hard to avoid reaching the conclusion that
these foods do appear to have a connection with,
and....Perhaps...be primarily responsible for the "diseases of civilization".

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm

BrightAngel,

One of the advantages of No S, for me, has been that I can't eat as much in sweets because I limit myself to six days per month. My concern about the presentation is that restriction of sugar might include restriction of fruit, and I flat out don't buy into that.

As for carb restriction, I also don't buy that. I think that carbs like oatmeal are just fine.

I have read enough to be concerned about a low carb diet.

As for restriction on fat, I have started to not buy that. On Valentine's Day weekend, Tom and I went out to dinner, and I had a cassoulet. It was delicious, it was very filling, and it had fat in it. I think fat may be what makes foods filling, so I switched from skim milk to 2% milk.

Basically, I think that we can learn from religious tradition in which there are some food restrictions (Catholic no meat on Fridays on Lent, for example) and restrictions on when you eat (used to be no eating until 3 PM on Wednesdays and Fridays), and no restriction on quantity that I have found at least until after the medieval period

The Catholic tradition used to have very big eating times. What remains is Mardi Gras, which is the day before Lent starts. When I was a girl, my father once made the traditional German doughnut for Mardi Gras. The traditions have been lost.

Now there is this relentless restriction of portions and foods. Ugh!

Kathleen

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Kathleen wrote:My concern about the presentation is that restriction of sugar might include restriction of fruit,
and I flat out don't buy into that.

As for carb restriction, I also don't buy that.
I think that carbs like oatmeal are just fine.

I have read enough to be concerned about a low carb diet.

As for restriction on fat, I have started to not buy that.
I try to keep an Open Mind,
which involves continuing to receive and process information
about subjects on which I have already formed an Opinion.
I constantly work to retain the Ability to Change My Mind.

It sounds as though you might tend to have a "closed" mind on some issues.
To see if that's true for you....
Can you get yourself to Accept the Possibility that there may be Truth in These Thoughts ?
  • "Perhaps carb restriction is an excellent thing for some people."
    ....."Perhaps...even though I hate the idea....I MIGHT be one of those people."

"Perhaps fruit and oatmeal are not good foods for some people."
    ....."Perhaps...even though I love them...I MIGHT be one of those people."

"Perhaps I need to continue gathering information about a low-carb diet
    ...while retaining my current opinion....
    and keep open my Option to CHANGE MY MIND."
There is a principle
which is a bar against all information,
which is proof against all arguments and
which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance
– that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
I offer this reverse statement and a possible cure for everlasting ignorance;
"Investigation prior to contempt."
  • To begin with we must keep an open mind and not fear alternative ways of thinking.

Second we must look at multiple sources
    to see if they provide answers with similar views and beliefs.

Third we must consider the date in time of the previous statement
    and any advancements in technology and research that may now
    adequately disprove this past belief and

Fourth we must be aware of our own ability to interpret the truth utilizing our sixth sense
    because deep inside we all have the ability to know when something feels right.
Self-honesty is not easy but it is attainable
if we have the willingness, courage and patience to stay the course!
Life is an amazing journey with many twists, turns and unexpected road blocks,
but there is no need for us to make things worse.
Sure we need to trust,
and sure we would love to trust everything from doctors to the Holy Scriptures,
from our Grandma to Google,
but blind faith doesn't necessarily guarantee that all statements are true
and that they’re actually in our best interests.
  • Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis,
when you find that anything agrees with reason
and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all,
then accept it and live up to it.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks, for that article, Bright Angel. It's kind of funny, because I've always noticed that things that are good for you one day seem to be bad for you the next, and this helps explain why. Nothing like confusing the masses.
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi BrightAngel,
What came to mind as I read what you wrote was "black swan." I think I've done lots of testing and have moved away from some ideas. The most blatant example of this is that I have fully tested the idea of 24 X 7 "unconditional permission to eat" and found that this is not a way that I could lose weight.

I have also concluded that "portion control" is not the way to go, but I concluded that after attempting portion control almost continuously from 1976 to 2007.

Now is the time for me to try testing fasting. I got a really good contracting job that starts at the end of the month and runs through the beginning of January. At this point, the diet needs to go on the back burner because I'll be busy, very busy!

Kathleen

BrightAngel

UpDate on Low-Carb Experimentation

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Memer of Another Forum wrote:Is there a point after maintaining for a while,
when your body just has a mind of it's own about what weight it wants you to be?

I lose weight when I have to, but much slower, even with lowering my calories.
I can't get down to the 105-106lbs. that i was staying at for 15mo.
(which was my feel good weight), & is within a healthy range for me.

What more can I do to stop the weight gain or is this normal for most people?

What did you experience?, please help.
Question interests me,
since I have been dealing with this problem for the past two years.

About 5 years ago, after reaching my 115 lb weight goal,
while eating an average of around 1200 calories,
I increased my calories about 100 or so -to 1250-1350
but continued dropping weight down to the 109-112 range,
and held in that weight area for several months.

However, after about 6 months inside maintenance
when working to lose a few more pounds,
in order to give me a bit of "bounce" room pre-Vacation, pre-Holiday,
I found that although a few weeks of lower calorie dieting would bring me a 2 or 3 lb weight loss,
my weight refused to Stabilize in that area...no matter what..

Despite all efforts, my weight would return to a stabilized weight of around 112-115 lbs...
This continued for about two years..with an average calorie burn of around 1200-1300
(For perspective- remember - I'm 5'0", over 60, AND "reduced obese")

HOWEVER, After about 2 1/2 years, while continuing my SAME behavior,
my weight began creeping up a fraction of a lb at a time,
and to avoid this, I had to gradually reduce my calorie intake.

Long story short (I know....Too Late)
Anyway, for the first 2 years of my maintenance,
I maintained and even lost a tiny amount on 1200-1300 calories.

For the next 2 1/2 + years of my maintenance,
due to gradual weight creep,
I've worked to maintain my weight around 118-120 lbs at an average calorie amount of 1050.
All attempts to raise my calorie level above the 1050 calorie area has only caused increased weight.

During my most recent 2 1/2 + years I've experimented with
periods of increasing calories
and periods of decreasing calories,
Remember.......My 1050 average number is over 2 1/2 years...
and that 1050 average breakdown is also the same over all 6 month periods...
however, in the short term, for 2 to 3 month periods or so,
I've done a lot of experimenting both with higher and with lower food intake calories.

Higher calories always simply resulted in higher weight,
and lower calories always resulted in only temporary loss--back to my Stabilized weight...
but no overall weight-reduction.

There's little or no scientific research about what it takes for "reduced obese" people
to maintain a normal or light weight for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

You talk about a change after around 16 months of Maintenance.
I experienced a change after around 30 months of Maintenance.
Coincidence? I don't know... But my experience seems a bit similiar.

How to stop the weight-creep? I don't know.:(
Increasing Exercise has not been effective,
and I'd have great difficulty in reducing my calories further.

However, whatever happens with my weight,
I am committed to continue with my efforts.
I figure that weight "creeping" back on is FAR BETTER
than the "galloping" that I've previously experienced.

On the Bright Side..:D
If the creep continues at the rate of about 1/4 or 1/2 pound a year,
..........no matter what I do..................
the life span I have left probably won't be long enough for me to become obese again.

connorcream wrote:Bright Angel-
Does carb intake effect your efforts?
Could your body become more more carb sensitive over time/with aging?
Could you eat more calories, while eating lower carbs?
Just wondering if you are tracking this too.
My answer to these first two questions is....Perhaps. Image

For the past 5 months or so I've been analyzing low carb,
both through research and personal experimentation.
I've found the Low Carb research on Low Carb extremely interesting Image
..especially that contained in "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

However, So far...for my own body...I have not arrived at any pro-or-con conclusion.
My personal research efforts along this line are hindered
by my difficulty in adhering to Low-Carb eating.
I greatly enjoy eating the complex carbs contained in grains, legumes etc.
Image and, so far, I've found it difficult to abstain from them for more than short time periods.
I've run several experiments with this during the past 5 months,
and have not yet been able to complete a consistent two-week
low-carb period.
However, I shall continue to experiment with this issue Image
until I feel I have a personal answer to those questions.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Bright Angel. You said increasing exercise has not been effective. Did that include muscle building? I wonder if that might help since we lose muscle mass as we get older, and muscle does burn more calories than fat.
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am following your experiences with intense interest.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Teemuh wrote:Hi Bright Angel. You said increasing exercise has not been effective.
Did that include muscle building?
I wonder if that might help since we lose muscle mass as we get older,
and muscle does burn more calories than fat.
This past 6 years I've exercised more than I did during my entire life., Image
both with Cardio and Strength Training.

My choice as a 60+ year old, small, lightweight woman,
is to use only light weights and bodyweight for Strength Training,
and my choice is to limit myself to low-impact Cardio.
I have neither the ability nor the desire to do more,
and there is no way I'm going to gain a ton of muscle from that activity.

Furthermore, my own research into muscle mass and calorie burn
tells me that...despite what many trainers say.....
this is another one of those exaggerated, myth-like beliefs.
A few lbs of additional muscle actually increases one's calorie burn only a very little.

Here's a quote from a BodyBuilding Expert whose opinion I respect:
Question: #4 – Adding muscle mass through weight training
helps accelerate fat loss/weight loss.

Answer: FALSE

An additional pound of skeletal muscle only burns an extra 5 calories per day.
This is an insignificant amount of calories.

It doesn’t matter how much muscle you think you can build,
it will never add up to enough to help burn any real amount of fat.

http://johnbarban.com/4-adding-muscle-a ... ss-answer/

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:30 am

I've been following your daily check in, and I had a thought about your weight creep. You mentioned your creep seems to be ~1/4 - 1/2 pound per year. Incidentally, I've run some BMR numbers for myself recently and found that the estimated* decrease in BMR from aging is around 5 calories per day each year.

5*365 = 1825 and 1825/3500 = .52 pounds per year. So it's possible that some of what you are seeing is just a natural consequence of aging.

*I know that BMR formulas are only estimates, but that aging lowers BMR seems to be fairly well established.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 am

Sienna wrote:I've run some BMR numbers for myself recently
and found that the estimated* decrease in BMR from aging is around
5 calories per day each year.

5*365 = 1825 and 1825/3500 = .52 pounds per year.
So it's possible that some of what you are seeing is just a natural consequence of aging.

*I know that BMR formulas are only estimates,
but that aging lowers BMR seems to be fairly well established.
Thanks for your comment. Image
Yes, I agree that aging tends to decrease one's BMR,
and your numbers look right to me.

My burn runs lower than the average BMR/RMR for my age and size,
however, this shouldn't be an issue
because I am not comparing myself with the charts,
but am comparing me with me.

However, the difference between
maintaining while eating 1200-1300 calories per day,
as I did the first two and a half years
and gaining 3 - 5 lbs while eating 1050 calories per day
as has happened the last two and a half years,
is too high to be explained by a yearly increase of 5 calories per day.

Since one figures it as a yearly increase...
this would be 5 in year 1; 10 in year 2; 15 in year 3; 20 in year 4; 25 in year 5.

For Example:
1300 minus 5 = 1295
minus 10 = 1285
minus 15 =1270
minus 20 = 1250
minus 25 = 1225 ...

In this example...assuming I was eating approx 1300 calories and maintainlng my weight,
With an age reduction 5 years later, I should still be able to eat approx 1225 and maintain my weight.
However, in actuality, I had a 3 to 5 lb gain while eating 175 per day less than that...i.e. 1050.

175 x 2.5 years (912 days)
3 lbs x 3500 = 10,500 divided by 2.5 years (912 days) = 11 calories per day
175 plus 11 = 186 daily calorie decrease unexplained by age increase.
PLUS one would add to that number a 5 calorie per day yearly increase for 1.5 of those 2.5 years.

It is an interesting issue.
I don't mind having my daily calorie burn reduced by 5 every year...
but I'm not happy with losing that additional 186+daily calories in just 2 years.
If that gain rate continued, I would enter obesity again,
....unless my life span is much shorter than I expect.....

The calculations become ridiculous...
Starting now in 2010 with 1050 daily calories...
.....in Theory...186 + 5 per year would soon bring me down to zero food intake ..
....Year 2011--859; Year 2012--663; Year 2013--462; Year 2014--256; Year 2015--45.

Actually, I'm beginning to believe that while the Scientific Rule (Theory) of 3500 calories = 1 fat pound
seems to hold true in that middle range between High-Morbid-Obese-weight and Normal-to-Light-weight,
it DOESN'T seem to always be the case when applied to gains for very-fat people or losses for very-light people.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 am

Hi Bright Angel. Have you tried lowering your theromstat? Shivering burns more calories , I hear:) Just kidding !! It's a tough situation when you're being that disciplined and still face weight gain. It's seems rather unfair.
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Teemuh wrote: It's a tough situation when you're being that disciplined and still face weight gain.
It's seems rather unfair.
Like our mamas told us,
and like we told our children....
"Life Isn't Fair"

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Someone who is still Fat recently told me that Image
they didn't want Thoughts about Weight/Food/Exercise to "Rule their Life".

I had no way to Help them toward that Goal of Mindlessness,
because Thoughts about Weight/Food/Exercise have ALWAYS "Ruled MY Life."
I did not spend any less time Thinking about those issues when I was Fat than I do now.
The difference is that when I was Fat my Thoughts were not accompanied by Action,
while during my weight-loss period ...and now inside Maintenance...
my Thoughts about those issues are a whole lot more productive and positive.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:29 pm

This is a Copy of a Terrific recent post from a Maintainer on another Forum. Image
We each do different things, to some degree.

For myself, it is:
“This is what I choose to do and this is what proves to be effective for me.â€

We don't need anyone's approval; what has worked for us has worked for us.
What works for other people works for other people.
We aren't obligated to try to convince anyone of anything,
and we might have good intentions to help others,
but ultimately they have to want to be helped, and that isn't our business.

I find myself looking back and remembering what my thoughts and feelings were
when I was fat--both when I was fat and not really losing weight,
and when I was fat and actively committed to losing weight.
I'm trying to remember what my beliefs and excuses and fears were, back then.
Maybe that will help me relate to people with a little more compassion and less exasperation.
It can be pretty overwhelming when you're starting out,
or even partway through, and have a long way to go.

One of the things I remember plain as day
was seeing Ali Vincent--the first female winner of "The Biggest Loser"—
on Oprah one day, a few years ago.
She was walking the viewing audience through a typical day in her life,
and one of the things they showed
was Ali carefully weighing out the food to make her lunch.
She said that's what she still needs to do and chooses to do,
even though she's lost and kept off her weight.

I thought "Oh for God's sake, who wants to live like that?!"

Well, as it turns out, I do.
I never would have thought it would be not only okay with me,
but something I value and appreciate.

At the time, with so much weight to lose, I thought:
"Well, that's just obsessive and unhealthy.
I can't imagine having to weigh and portion your food all the time.
That's just not natural."

Yeah, but was eating whatever felt "natural" working for me?
No, it wasn't.
I honestly didn't think I ate any more than a lot of thinner people did.
I thought I ate pretty well--pretty mindfully.

So I think when people are near their starting weight,
they have not yet arrived at a place where it "clicks"
that the very things they dread, fear, and reject
might be the things
which are going to possibly change their lives.

You can't tell somebody something she isn't ready to hear.
If it falls on defensive ears, it comes off like yet another scolding lecture,
or further confirmation that she will be asked to do things
that feel extremely uncomfortable and out of reach.

I wasn't at all ready to accept, let alone embrace,
the idea that if I want to have what Ali has,
I have to be open to doing what Ali does.

It took me a long while to get there.

Start weight: 212
Current weight: 118

BrightAngel

Intuitive Eating - Wishful Thinking for one Formerly Obese

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Copy of a recent Post by a Maintainer on another Forum. Image
I know I will be 'counting' calories and carbs for the rest of my life-
-unless I want to end up back over 300lbs!

The 'listen to your body' advice cannot possibly work
for someone like me

who has been morbidly obese much of her entire life.
I doubt that anyone gets to morbid obesity without some metabolic dysfunction
which interferes with 'normal' body eating signals.

My body really doesn't give me reliable 'signals.'
And if it did, I long ago learned to completely ignore them,
and, if I every had it, that ability is lost forever.

A lifetime of morbid obesity obviously has totally distorted
my relationship to food from a psychological perspective.
Food is never a benign presence in my life;
it was a good friend who has become the 'enemy.'
It is something I have to deal with one day at a time,
trying to make sure I remain in control.
In a way, it's like being an alcoholic,
but worse because total abstinence is not possible

Last winter, I went on a two-week cruise with a very good friend of mine
who has been normal weight all her life.
She is a model of 'eating when hungry/stopping when full,'
and I could bore you with examples of that behavior that I saw over and over.
One in particular was striking.

We were having dinner at a buffet,
and she had a moderate portion of several items.
Her plate was in no way full.
She was 3/4 through the food and stopped (I was still shoveling it in).
She happened to glance over to the buffet and said,
"I didn't notice they have fried catfish; I just love that" (she's from New Orleans).
I expected her to go get some, but she just sat there,
so I said, "Aren't you going to have any catfish?"
She replied, "No, I'm full, and I'm finished eating."

I was amazed that she would ignore a food she loves
simply because she wasn't hungry!
Fat from early childhood, I've always been a "food for entertainment,"
"food for stress," "food for boredom" eater.

My friend is a 'normal' eater who can listen to her body-
--but she's never had to lose weight in her life.
It seems to me that the advice to eat when hungry/stop when full
is ONLY useful for people who have already always done that.

Start: 340
Current 165

BrightAngel

EVERY BITE COUNTS

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Image The long post below PRECISCELY describes my own Belief.
Thanks TexArk for copying it to your Thread, Image
and allowing me to copy it to mine.
TexArk wrote:While thinking about how every bite counts, I came across this post from a blog that says it all.
I think the podcast on S Days Gone Wild is great,
but I never overcame the S day mentality until I admitted that every bite counts.
Another Forum Member wrote:Every Bite Counts.
I had a huge light bulb moment last night
as I was reading this thread on the "3 Fat Chicks" website
(GREAT place for support, by the way!)
It's a thread about "cheat days,"
which is what some people call it
when you plan a day to go off your eating plan and eat whatever you want.

The theory is that if you PLAN a day like that every so often,
it makes it easier to stay on plan the rest of the time.
Whenever you are craving something,
you just tell yourself that you can have it on your cheat day,
but you have to wait until then to have it.

The problem is that for some people (like me),
a cheat day turns into a cheat week or a cheat month
and it's really hard to get back on track.
Or if you have problems with bingeing,
it isn't any hardship to ingest upwards of 4 or 5 thousand calories on a cheat day
(yes I have done that),
and it really messes up all your hard work you did eating right all week.

Anyway, reading through that thread, it hit me.
Every bite counts.
EVERY.

Now, maybe this sounds obvious, but how many times have I gotten up,
started a healthy eating day, and then at lunch "slipped up" and had pizza?
Then I would tell myself, "oh well, I ruined my day,
so I may as well have candy bars and burgers and fries for dinner
and start over fresh tomorrow."
Isn't that something a LOT of people are in the habit of doing?

We look at our eating aka "diet" in terms of a UNIT.

One good day
(eating the right number of points or calories or whatever your plan is)
is a Unit of Success,

and a Bad Day
(eating over your limit, not counting calories, eating junk)
is a Unit of Failure.

Sometimes we even try to string days together,
as in "I will start on Monday" or the first of the month
or after Christmas or whatever,
which is an excuse to eat badly and not count anything
until we "start again" on that special date.

WHO came up with this idea???
Why is a "DAY" the unit of success or failure??

Who decided that if you eat badly for lunch,
you can just eat whatever you want for the rest of the day
and start over in the morning?
It's as if we think that "one bad day" is a single unit of failure,
whether we ate 2000 or 5000 calories,
that it's the same because it is just ONE bad day.
It makes no sense!!

EVERY BITE COUNTS, whether you eat a Hershey bar on a "bad" day
because you are bingeing
or eat it on a "good" day and add it into your calorie count,
it is STILL 210 calories going into your body.
You HAVE to stop looking at it as good and bad days.
It is your LIFE.

What I mean is this.
Say you are aiming to eat 1500 calories per day to lose weight
(substitute WW points or whatever other unit or plan you are using).
Now, say your week looks like this:

Monday: 1500
Tuesday: 1470
Wednesday: 1460
Thursday: 1520
Friday: 1460
Saturday: 3200
Sunday: 2900

You slipped up on Saturday and told yourself you would start over on Monday.
You had only 2 bad days.
But now you have eaten 13,510 calories for the week
which averages out to 1910 per day... way over your limit.
And you wonder why you haven't lost weight.

Because every bite counts,
and the unit is not a day, or even a week.
It is a lifetime.

When you eat something you shouldn't have, it's over.
Stop, and eat right from that very moment on.
Have a healthy dinner.
Keep going.
A bad meal is way better than a whole bad weekend.

You want a cheat day?
Every bite you take counts, because it still goes into your body, counted or not.
Every bite either helps you get closer to your goal
or slows you down from reaching it.

So the question becomes, how badly do you want it?
Do you want to lose weight more than you want that cookie?
Then put it down.

Every time you eat something unhealthy or go over your calorie limit,
you are effectively putting a speed bump... or even a roadblock...
in between you and your goal.
Every bite you take determines whether you will reach your goal weight
in 6 months, 12 months, 3 years, or never.
What do you REALLY want?

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm copying this Post from the General Thread
to make these Links more easily accessible in the Future.

BrightAngel wrote:
SoATXGirl wrote:Would any calorie-counting members mind sharing their methods of combining it with No S?
I am one of the people who support calorie-counting as a No S modification. Image
There are many Threads here in the General Discussion that discuss the opinions of various forum members.

I think you might benefit from reviewing
the individual Daily Check-in Threads of some No S forum members who support calorie counting.
Of course, one of them is me.
At present my Thread contains 8 pages, and much of that talks about calorie-counting.
Image My Thread contains comments of others, as well as my own comments,
and I believe it contains a great deal of helpful, and or, inspiring information.
In that Thread on page 7 (post of 10/7/10) is a copy of a post by KCCC,
a successful No S member who does not like calorie-counting,
and in that post, she provides a link to a prior discussion of the General Forum on that subject.

Here is the link to my most recent page.
No need to use it, since if you are reading this, you are already here.
:lol:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... &start=350

Another No S forum member who has achieved great success is Connorcream.
At present her Thread contains 6 pages, with many posts about calorie-counting.
Here is a link to her most recent page.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... &start=250

Two other forum members who have recently made that modification to their No S plan,
are Parnetty, and TexArk. Links to their Threads are:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6814
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6881
I believe if you read the pages that are contained in these Threads Image
many of your questions about calorie-counting combined with No S will be answered,
and, you will find information that is both interesting and helpful.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:49 pm

No So Forum Member wrote: Gary Taubes said it was carbohydrates that triggers appetite.
The problem with eliminating carbs is you need them so you end up craving them.
ImageThe above-quoted statement is inaccurate.

There is a difference between Hunger and Appettite.

Hunger is the "body's call for nourishment".
Appetite is the "desire for gratification of some want, craving, or passion;
therefore appetite is eating and drinking for relaxation and pleasure.

But...of course...Cravings and Urges don't ONLY originate in the Body.
Some, due to conditioning, originate in the Mind.

The craving for Alcohol by an Alcoholic seems to have a physical element,
and these cravings are reduced and even disappear via abstinance.
Low-Carbers believe that cravings for carbs--especially refined sugars and starches
have a physical element,
and these cravings are reduced and even disappear via carb-restriction.

The Low-Carb position is:
Insulin is what drives physical Hunger.
A reduction of carbohydrates is a reduction of insulin.
Therefore, reducing carbs...and thereby reducing insulin...
will reduce the physical craving for excess food.

Research studies have proven that the Human body
will SURVIVE and THRIVE without carbohydrates.

While the Body can USE Carbohydrates, it does not NEED them. .

Furthermore,
Low-carb eating is only a reduction, not a total elimination, of carbs.
Almost every low-carb plan includes green leafy vegetables,
and other low-starch vegetables like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower,
cucumbers...and father along, nuts and berries etc., all of which have carbs.

Even those hard-core, zero-carb people get a few carbs from their eggs,
cheese, yogurt, trace amounts of onion, garlic and spices for seasoning.

I find it interesting to note that studies clearly show
that meat and other animal products contain,
every single vitamin and mineral...except for vitamin C,
and in much larger amounts than what is found in fruits and vegetables.

and these studies also indicate that
eating a high amount of sugar and starch
actually DEPLETES the body's vitamin and mineral supply.
and that this process actually causes the body to need more of them,
including vitaman C.

For example--the famous scurvy that English seamen got
which was remedied by eating lemons ..citris fruit...,
only happened to those whose diets were Very High Carb,
while the seamen who ate higher protein with few carbs
did not suffer from scurvy.

So WHY aren't these dietary facts commonly known and understood?
I think this becomes very clear when we are wise enough to..
FOLLOW THE MONEY.

BrightAngel

Intutive Eating disscussed again.

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

This is a copy of a Post I recently made on KCCC's Daily Check-in Thread:
KCCC wrote:True, I can't speak to the level of weight that they're discussing -
I was 35 lbs overweight when I was yo-yo dieting in my youth, not 100 - but I WAS obese.

I agree that body signals get out of whack,
and if you're used to over-riding them then you don't notice them at all.
I also agree that you can't go from having them "broken"
to trusting them in one fell swoop,
as some of the intuitive eating books advise.

But I think that the ability to recognize and respond appropriately
to hunger/fullness can be re-built.
And I think the No-S habits do that, over time.
The concept of Intuitive Eating involves letting one's BODY tell one how much to eat.

No S is NOT actually a plan based on Intutive Eating.
No S sets a few specific simple "rules" that, when followed,
become Habits that tend to restrict caloric intake...without calorie counting.

As I have previously stated on my Thread,
the simple No S Plan appears to be effective for people
who have been less than 50 lbs overweight,
especially those who have been normal weight for most of their lives.

However, the simple No S Plan appears to be far less effective for people
who have been overweight, or obese, for most of their lives,
and especially for those who are more than 50 lbs overweight.
Those people need some modifications to the rules that provide
additional restrictions of caloric intake....which could include calorie counting.

You are correct when you say you cannot speak to the level of weight discussed.

While a "slightly" obese person can have a similiar MENTAL state,
The BODY of a person who has spent a few years a bit over the BMI Obesity Border,
is far, far different from
the BODY of a person who has spent much of their lifetime far over that border.

I agree with you that new HABITS can be learned,
and that one can gain a new MINDSET,
however, the PRIMARY PROBLEM with INTUITIVE EATING
for those who've spent time well into the area of Obesity or are "Reduced Obese"
is the difference in their BODY's Physical Responses due to their condition, or former condition.

The body responds and changes to Increased weight,
and many of those inner changes are not eliminated by weight-loss,
or evidently....(based on the experience of myself and others)...
by maintaining that weight-loss for 5 to 10 years.

One Example of this is:
Fat cells are not simple storage deposits,
but each one actively relates to the body continually.
Anyone who has ever been morbidly Obese, has far, far more fat cells
than someone who has never been less than 50 lbs overweight,
and with weight loss, fat cells shrink, but NEVER disappear.

Another Example of this is:
Body changes were addressed in the research of Dr. Rudolph Leibel, M.D.
who assessed the reasons for the frequent regaining of weight by reduced-obese patients.
Results of that research were:
"The mean individual energy requirement of reduced-obese subjects
was less than that for the control (normal-weight) subjects,
despite the fact that they still weighted 60% more than the controls.
In order to maintain a reduced weight,
some reduced-obese or even partially reduced patients
must restrict their food intake to approximately 25% less
than that anticipated on the basis of metabolic body size."
Intutive Eating is a MENTAL process of teaching oneself to rely on the BODY's NATURAL hunger and appetites.
However, the NATURAL BODY RESPONSE of a reduced obese person
provides hunger and appetite cues that intend to return that person to their former weight.

My position has always been that while Intuitive Eating principles MAY work
for those who have spent a brief period of their life in the BMI "overweight" category,
or even slightly over the BMI "obesity" category,
but
it is totally ineffective for those who have spent long periods of time
well into the BMI category of "Obesity".

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

BrightAngel wrote: Research studies have proven that the Human body
will SURVIVE and THRIVE without carbohydrates.

While the Body can USE Carbohydrates, it does not NEED them. .
BA_
I find this very useful. Not only for myself with weight maintanence but more importantly for my son. Carbs in so many forms are a nightmare for him. The worry of colon cancer is always in the back of my mind. Not needing carbs would make his life easier. I wish you had a passion for studying Crohns as you do for weight loss:-) I am finding, WL and auto immune diseases (of which Crohn's is one manifestation) over lapping. Thank you for taking the time to post.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm

A NEW MEMBER wrote:I know I am supposed to-- I mean--NEED to "make S Days S Days so N Days aren't",
but I just am hoping that indulging in sweets
won't set me up to binge on Saturday and then crave come Monday.

If anyone has any lessons learned about this situation,
I would really appreciate hearing them.
Just because it is an "S" day,
doesn't mean sweets or snacks or seconds are REQUIRED.
It just means there's no RULE against them.
It isn't permission to binge.
Following N day principles on S days is a good thing.

Remember, Reinhard's No S is actually:
....except SOMETIMES on S days.

Also, don't forget his basic warning:
"Don't be an IDOT.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Image No diet or food-plan,
No Matter What It Is...No-S, Calorie Counting, Low-Carb, WW, Low-Fat, etc....
will work for you if you don't adapt the plan to fit your personal tastes and lifestyle.
There is a great deal of room in the No S Plan...even inside Vanilla No S....to do this.

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:07 am

You are so right, BA, the plan has to fit who you are - not the other way around. I think the reason it hasn't clicked for me in the past is that I had this warped view that a diet meant lots of salads, deprivation and hunger.

Even NoS presented challenges that didn't fit my lifestyle. I like having treats daily, even if it means a 50 calorie piece of chocolate or an orange sliced after dinner. It felt too restrictive for me.

CC puts me in charge of my own plan. I've learned that I don't crave many sweets and that I really don't like to overeat. It really was the extra calories here and there that were adding up to the 10-15 pound creep.

I'm thankful for the circle of ConnorCream, yourself, TexArk who are living proof that calorie counting can work - especially for women over the age of 40.

P

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:29 am

Pernetty, I know what you mean. I'm somewhere in between calorie counting and No S. I'm following the No S structure of no seconds and no snacks (most of the time), but I like to have a treat every day, too. The calorie counting helps me make sure that I stay within my budget, so to speak (I'm paraphrasing something Connorcream wrote in one of her earlier check in threads). It's a great reality check. I'm 35, but I'm finding that my metabolism has slowed over the past year or two, so I strongly suspect that calorie counting will become even more vital as I get older.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Pernetty wrote: The plan has to fit who you are - not the other way around.
I had this warped view that a diet meant lots of salads, deprivation and hunger.
Even NoS presented challenges that didn't fit my lifestyle.
It felt too restrictive for me.
CalorieCounting puts me in charge of my own plan.
Clarinetgal wrote: I know what you mean.
I'm somewhere in between calorie counting and No S.
I'm following the No S structure of no seconds and no snacks,
but I like to have a treat every day, too.
The calorie counting helps me make sure that I stay within my budget.
It's a great reality check.
Image Pernetty and Clarinetgal,
It's great that you've found adding a calorie counting Habit to be helpful. Image

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:32 pm

clarinetgal wrote:The calorie counting helps me make sure that I stay within my budget, so to speak (I'm paraphrasing something Connorcream wrote in one of her earlier check in threads). It's a great reality check. I'm 35, but I'm finding that my metabolism has slowed over the past year or two, so I strongly suspect that calorie counting will become even more vital as I get older.
A very accurate summation of my views, thank you. I agree that that habit of CC becomes more important as we age. Our bodies do not need more calories but rather less. A fact is a fact whether I like it or not.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 pm

That's a good point, Connorcream. When I was in my 20s, I used to be able to eat like a pig and maintain a weight several pounds lower than I'm at right now. I'm still at a decent weight for my height and bone frame, but now, I can only get away with maybe 1-2 splurge days a week before my weight starts creeping up to numbers I don't like. That's why I've been really rethinking the way I eat. What I love about calorie counting is I'm totally in the driver's seat. If I want to eat 3 meals with an equal number of calories (which is how I feel best), then great. If I want to eat one big meal and two smaller meals or even several smaller meals throughout the day, then that's fine, too, but it's my choice.

BrightAngel

Maintenance

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 am

The quote below is very much like my own experience.
member of another Forum wrote: I’ve learned along the way to find a satisfying Way Of Eating that I can sustain,
and to accept the fact that I'll never be able to eat like so-called "normal people".

For me it's like having a chronic illness.
If I don't continue to do the things
that I know help keep the symptoms (in this case gaining weight) under control,
I will have to face the consequences,
and, unless something miraculous occurs, this isn't going to change.

I've learned to accept that I will always have to be vigilant,
and am doing the same things I did when losing the weight,
except I stay within what I have found to be my maintenance calorie range
and I have a 5 lb. maintenance weight range.

My plan is that if I hit the top of that range,
I go immediately to weight loss mode until I am back to at least the middle of that range

5’6â€
Starting Weight: 208
Current Weight: 148

BrightAngel

"S" days

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:33 pm

This is such a good post about "S" days from a successful No S member,
that I've decided to copy it to my Thread for easy future reference.
KCCC wrote:Dear Self,

This is your internal voice of reason, and I just want to remind you of a few things... things you know, but sometimes forget.

You've been doing No-S for a while, and you have experienced the difference between "good" S-days and... and well, S-days that aren't so good.

On a Good S-Day, you have a scrumptious, satisfying treat of some nature. Maybe more than one - and you savor every bite. However, you also eat regular meals (maybe extra-yummy, but on time), refrain from perma-snacking, and enjoy the day. Emotionally, you feel proud of yourself, and deeply satisfied by what you ate. Physically, you feel good.

On a Not-So-Good (okay, pretty bad) S-day, you fall back into perma-snacking mode. You eat so much between meals that meals don't taste very good. Neither does anything else... for all the food you're inhaling (without even tasting), you don't feel satisfied. Emotionally, you feel desperate, out of control...and dissatisfied. Physically, you feel bloated and queasy.

Reinhard says S-days are meant to be a reward. A good one is exactly that. A bad one... nope.

So, what can you do to have a rewarding S-day? Well, start by remembering what works for YOU (other people will have different strategies, and that's okay). And remember to use the strategies your user name, which stands for Keep, Chuck, Change, Create.

KEEP what works for you during the week. Reinhard says habits will naturally carry over, but you don't have to passively wait for it to happen by magic! Pick an easy habit or two that you actually like, and incorporate them intentionally. For instance, eating regular meals and remembering to drink enough.

CHUCK what doesn't work for you. Right now, the biggest issue is snacks - they're a slippery slope, and you don't even like them that much. Do you need them to have a special day, or will seconds/sweets do it? (And when that self-destructive little voice whines "but it's an S-day, it's allowed!" tell it firmly that "allowed does not mean obliged. I don't HAVE to eat that if I don't want it!")

CHANGE the day's patterns to make them work better. For example, you have more energy in the morning, so maybe cook a big lunch and an easy supper. Or try one of those "put it in the oven and bake for an hour" recipes that you never have time for during the week.

CREATE new routines and habits that give you pleasure. Plan a special outing with the family. Buy flowers. Find something special to do... and savor it.

And yes, I know you know all this, but sometimes it helps to be reminded at the right time.

So have a great S-day. And remember, there will be a lot of weekends in your life. If you miss a treat, there will be another chance. And if your S-day is not-so-good... well, learn from it. There will be another chance.

Best wishes,

Your Internal Voice of Reason

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I love it! :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 pm

BrightAngel, I replied to your comment in my thread, but I want to make sure you see this. Yesterday I got home from work to find that a friend had left a tin of homemade Christmas goodies on my doorstep. I debated internally, with one voice telling me I could just make it an S day or take a failure - that if I didn't open that tin I was setting myself up for obsessing about those treats for the rest of the week. But then I asked myself "Just what have you made a commitment to? Are you willing to abandon the very basics of No S for these treats?" The tin is now safely stashed away where I won't see it until Saturday.

I've been amazed how often someone posts what I need to hear just when I need to hear it. Thank you so much for helping me stay honest with myself about what I'm trying to do and what my goals require.

BrightAngel

Research on Thin People

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Image The past six months or so I’ve been investigating low-carb issues
(although not often actually eating low-carb Image),
due to my exposure to the book “Good Calories Bad Calories†by Gary Taubes.
I’ve previously posted details about this,
and anyone interested should read my prior posts on earlier pages.
While researching that issue,
I recently ran across this interesting post by a member of another forum,
and am copying it here for future reference.

A BBC TV show called "Horizon: Why are Thin People Not Fat?" did some very interesting studies. They stated that there is far too much research in obesity concentrating on the people who are obese or have been obese, but very, very little has been done on those people who are NOT obese, except as part of a control group. Few people have rounded up a group of thin subjects to see why they are thin.

Horizon studied a small group, so by no means conclusive research or anything, but they were logging their activity and diets very carefully. Most of the people had to withdraw from the program because they were physically unable to consume the required number of calories to take part in the weight gain experiment. One participant (an Asian male) actually gained muscle when he ate excess calories, and there's no evidence he worked out or did anything that would normally lead to muscle gain, just that it appears this is how his body metabolized and stored the excess calories.

The amount of weight gained by each subject was not at all in keeping with how much they ate, it did not follow the 3,500 cals to 1 lb rule at all. Every single thin person automatically shed their extra weight after the experiment with no effort.

To maintain your weight you must eat a difference of no more than 7 cals per day, and the mechanism by which the human body does this naturally in some people is a source of fascination, as 7 cals is the most tiny, tiny amount, how on earth does a body sum up all the different types of food and pick out a diet that varies by no more than 7 cals on average each day? With so much variety of food that our bodies have not had before no wonder they find it difficult to analyze the foods and assign values to it. Perhaps if you ate nothing but rice each day then not only would you become very bored with it and the desire is minimal but your body knows exactly how rice is ingested, digested, burned and stored, and will regulate your intake of rice to ensure it's appropriate to your physical needs. When you suddenly eat a Pop Tart your body doesn't know what to do with that. Maybe it's not so much what people in many carb-staple countries are eating, it's the sheer repetitive consumption of it?

Very interesting starting points, but unfortunately there is little funding to do obesity research with thin people as the powers that hand out funding don't see how it contributes, they'd rather "get fat people thin" than find out what causes the desire to get fat. And I think that's the underlying problem too, that they concentrate on factors that scientifically and objectively cause obesity - eating too many calories - but do not do much on "why does this person choose to eat too many calories when the next person doesn't" just assuming it's all "willpower". That's nonsense, if I desire a chocolate cake and my friend does NOT desire a chocolate cake then her refusal is not due to better willpower! It is not through willpower that I resist alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drug addiction, etc. I just don't like them. I'm not better than the alcoholic, I'm not full of a fabulous willpower that he does not possess, I just look at alcohol and think "yuk".

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:41 pm

BBC TV show called "Horizon: Why are Thin People Not Fat?"

I just watched the 7 part videos. Fascinating. Thanks for posting.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Vanilla No S Commitment

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:36 am

Image I decided to post an edited copy of
a recent comment I made another No S member
.....specifying what I feel a Vanilla No S Commitment means.....
because it has a universal application to many members.
Please Listen to the voice of reason. Image

Your comments remind me of an old and common child's trick which goes like this...
There is something nearby that a child plans to get,
but the child doesn't want a nearby person to see it taken.
So the child says to the other person...."LOOK OVER THERE",
and while the other person is looking...the child takes the object.

You are both the child and the other person.
While the other person is distracted and soothed by devising new diet rules and strategies,
the child continues to eat just as it wishes.

You have made a COMMITMENT that you will do Vanilla No S for the month of December.
You need to HONOR your COMMITMENT.
Vanilla No S gives plenty of room for individual preferences.

You have "N" days, in which you eat only 1 plate of food
at each of your meals..(normally 3),
No seconds, No snacks, and No sweets.

Within those N day peremeters you can choose to ......
eat whatever foods you like,
schedule your 3 meals when you like,
skip meals or eat nothing if you like (fasting is okay),
write any or all of your food down or not,

Exercise is not an issue of Vanilla No S.
Things like allowing an occasional breath mint or piece of gum for bad breath
is like brushing your teeth with toothpaste...i.e. shouldn't even be an issue...
certainly
not during one's first month of committing to vanilla no s.

If you eat outside the basic N day rules, DURING N DAYS, it is a Failure.
End of story.
No rationalizing, no justifying, no excuses.
No matter what you find your mind telling you, the rules didn't change and it's not okay.
IMMEDIATELY...that day, that hour, that minute, that second,
resume compliance with your N day rules.

You have "S" days, in which you have the Freedom to eat as you like.

Within those S day peremeters you can choose to......
eat the same way you do on N days,
have S day events - in which you limit eating outside the "N" day rules,
eat whatever, whenever, and as much of whatever you like,
fast or binge part or all of the day.

Whether you do any or all of those things DURING S DAYS, it is a Success.
End of story. No rationalizing, no justifying, no excuses.
At any time, during S days, you have the ability and the choice to
IMMEDIATELY...that hour, that minute, that second, change your mind,
because there is nothing you MUST comply with on S days.

THIS IS YOUR DECEMBER COMMITMENT. You don't get to change it.
You might break the N day rules, but You can't break the S day rules...there aren't any.
Individual choices within the basic rules during December are acceptable,
and you can play with scheduling eating events during your S days,
or with allowing yourself to break the rules during N days,
however...it is CLEARCUT. You've made a Commitment.
There is no justification or excuse
for deviatiating from this overall Basic Vanilla S Plan in December.

THE IDEA IS TO STICK WITH THE SAME BASIC PLAN - Vanilla No S - for ONE MONTH.
and stop this endless and repetious cycle of figuring a way to weasel out of the Basic rules.

Reading and re-reading the NO S book will be Helpful.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 am

This is a great post, BA. Thanks for writing it. Even though I'm "on track" at the moment, its incredibly helpful to hear.

Julie

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 am

Yes, it is helpful. For those who are committed to Vanilla No S, it's a very good system. What I like about Vanilla No S is that the rules are very easy and clear cut.

BrightAngel

Food Recording Plan Issues

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Image Many No S members have been following recent posts on a fellow member's Thread.
I am copying this Post as it states Principles that could be Helpful to others.
Kathleen wrote:I don't want to review the mess that was November.
I suggested that you review it to avoid repeating it.
Kathleen wrote:
BrightAngel wrote:This does NOT mean that I never overate or never binged during the past 6 years,
It merely means that I ALWAYS entered ALL of my food into the journal.
It became, and is, a HABIT.

This is the principal of ACCOUNTABILITY.
I am accountable for every bite I eat....
even on vacation days, sick days, stress days.
NO MATTER HOW HIGH MY FOOD-INTAKE, I LOG IT.
This has provided me with long-term success.
Your commitment to logging ALL food intake, BrightAngel,
is what inspired me to consider
recording ALL indulgences
as a way to avoid labeling the dessert at a holiday dinner as a failure.

It can be a success if I'm willing to record it.

I don't think I need to record all food intake
because I'm relying on the N Day food rules to keep me from overeating
except for those indulgences which are outside the no snacks and no sweets rules.
It's not practical to follow N Day rules with perfection.
It is practical to record all eating outside N Day rules with perfection.

As you said yourself, your logging of your food intake
is what provided you with "long-term success."
I think 100% success in something related to dieting
is helpful in creating and maintaining a strong habit.
Recording any food I eat outside N Day rules, I think,
could keep them to a minimum, to ones that are very reasonable.
Kathleen wrote:My modification is one indulgence on Sundays
and other indulgences that are recorded and justified.
Why do you think this isn't a good idea for me?
ImageThere are several different issues here.
I will try to address some of them one at a time.

The Value of Recording Food Intake

Recording food can help one to be Accountable for it.
Accountable = Responsible.
"This is what I did, and I am responsible for it."

The act involves Awareness
because you must become aware of what and how much food you ate
in order to record it.

Making Recording Food Intake into a Habit

I record everything that goes into my mouth.
No conscious decision about what to record is needed.

Your plan to record only some of what goes into your mouth.
will require a conscious decision, and a choice, about every item recorded.

The more that consciousness is involved,
the less likely that a behavior can become a Habit.

Using Recording as an Excuse to Break Rules

Recording ALL deviations from N day rules, despite any reason for that deviation,
would keep you Aware of each choice you make to break those rules,.
but it would not Excuse them
This is behavior that involves the principle of ACCOUNTABILITY.

Your plan is to use recording all “indulgences†as an excuse for breaking N day rules.

Your plan doesn’t require recording ALL deviations from N day rules,
only “indulgencesâ€â€¦which will need to be decided on an individual basis.
To do this you have look for a “good†reason to “excuse†the behavior,
and make the following conscious choice about each deviation.

"Is this simply breaking the rule?"
or
"Do I have a good reason for breaking the rule?"

THEN… If I have a “good reasonâ€, I will record this food,
which will excuse me from following N day rules.

This is not behavior that is based on the principal of ACCOUNTABILITY
This is merely a re-labeling of your “Exception†principle.
Just another method of staying in DENIAL, which means:
“refusing to admit the truth or reality of something unpleasantâ€.

December Vanilla No S Commitment

You have commited yourself to Vanilla No S for the month of December with no changes.
Therefore, any "tweaking" must be INSIDE the basic Vanilla No S rules.
My Plan for "S" days is one indulgence on Sundays
and all other indulgences on "S" days will be recorded and justified.
I suggested this OPTIONAL plan as an alternative to yours…
Because you said you no longer want to give yourself permission to binge on “S†days,
and
Because it makes clear that your “S†day intention is to..:
Confine yourself to N day behavior, except for one “indulgence†on Sundays.
Other “N†day deviations on “S†days will also be called “indulgences†and will be recorded.

If you want to include “N†days in your OPTIONAL recording plan,
I suggest the following language.
My Plan for "S" days is one indulgence on Sundays
and all other indulgences on "S" days will be recorded and justified.
I wil also record all deviations from “N†day rules.

BrightAngel

Amusing and Appropriate Song to Remember

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Image I recently ran across this very Amusing and Appropriate Song. Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWO30gdpK4

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 pm

ImageFollowing Vanilla No S is a good way
to get out, and to stay out, of Denial about one's eating practices.
The word Failure simply means unsuccessful, and no one is successful all of the time.

Being in Denial means: Image
“refusing to admit the truth or reality of something unpleasantâ€.

To succeed at weight-loss and maintenance of weight-loss
one must face and accept some essential unpleasant Truths.

One of these unpleasant Truths is
that without some form of portion control,
an obese person cannot become normal size

Another of these unpleasant Truths is
that facing failures is necessary to achieve success.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Judith Beck has several characteristics that make following a "diet plan" difficult. Several apply to this discussion it seems.

CHARACTERISTICS THAT MAKE DIETING DIFFICULT

1. You confuse hunger with the desire to eat.
2. You have a low tolerance for hunger and cravings.
3. You like the feeling of being full.
4. You fool yourself about how much you eat.
5. You comfort yourself with food.
6. You feel hopeless and helpless when you gain weight.
7. You focus on feelings of unfairness.
8. You stop dieting once you lose weight.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm

TexArk wrote:Judith Beck has several characteristics that make following a "diet plan" difficult.
Several apply to this discussion it seems.
Image I like Judith Beck, and I agree with her
that all of those listed characteristics make following any diet plan difficult.
By "discussion", you are probably referring to recent communictions Image
between Kathleen and myself, primarily on her Thread,
concerning her one-month commitment to Vanilla No S.
Although my own personal weight-loss/maintenance plan is not Vanilla No S,
I see a great deal of value in it.
On page 80 and 82 of Rinhard's book, regarding "no seconds", also known as the 1 plate rule.
"The no seconds rule means you get one physical plate of food per meal.
You can load up that plate with however much food you want--once.
When you're done eating the food on that plate, the meal is over."

"The sight of excess is embarrassing, even just to yourself.
When it's all right there in front of you, on one plate,
you can't deceive yourself into thinking that you aren't eating a lot.
By forcing that excess into the open you'll gradually shame yourself into smaller portions.
Shame is powerful, it's deep, it's part of human nature, it isn't going away.
So you might as well use shame instead of pretending it isn't there.
Make it your ally."
On page 95 of Rinhard's book, regarding "S" days:
"....look at the calendar, and you'll know when you can take it and when you can't.
This clarity is powerful.
It means you'll have a hard time abusing or extending the exception
without it being very obvious what you are doing.
It limits the scope for self-deception.
You can abuse this rule...by gorging yourself with gallons of ice cream every weekend,
but you can't do it without knowing you're being a bozo.
And most of us, most of the time, will not knowingly be bozos."
ImageAs you know, PERSONALLY, I choose to log all of my food into a computer journal every day,
which forces me to continually face my own food intake and my own food issues.
For many years, I've also found a Focus on Behavior,
rather than on Results, to be essential for my own success.
One of the things I like about Reinhard is that he agrees with me in this. Image
On page 130 of Rinhard's book, regarding "focus on behavior" :

"When you focus on behavior,
you get results thrown into the bargain because behavior causes results.
When you focus on results,
you get neither because results cannot exist without behavior.
And behavior, besides being a better thing to measure,
is also an easier thing to measure."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm

ImageOn page 95 of Rinhard's book, regarding "S" days:
"....look at the calendar, and you'll know when you can take it and when you can't.
This clarity is powerful.
It means you'll have a hard time abusing or extending the exception
without it being very obvious what you are doing.
It limits the scope for self-deception.

You can abuse this rule...by gorging yourself with ....
(insert sweets of choice)... every weekend,
but you can't do it without knowing you're being a bozo.
And most of us,
most of the time, will not knowingly be bozos."
Since I posted the above-quoted passage,
It was brought to my attention that some people are not familiar with the word "bozo". Image
Therefore, I include this dictionary definition.
Noun: bozo - a person who is a stupid incompetent fool,
a cuckoo, fathead, goof, goofball, jackass, twat, zany, goose,
fool, muggins, saphead, tomfool, sap, - a person who lacks good judgment.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 pm

I love the passages you quoted in Reinhard's book. Especially about results versus behaviors. I'm going through a major paradigm shift in my own eating. I was always focused on results (mainly what the scale says), but now, I really, really want to focus on behaviors. I don't think doing Vanilla No S will work for me, BUT I do want to focus on three meals a day, no snacks or seconds, and having one treat each day that fits onto my plate, along with doing some calorie counting, to make sure I'm not consuming too many calories in my meals. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I think that is a plan that will work the best for me, and it's one I can stick with for life.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

clarinetgal wrote:I really, really want to focus on behaviors.
I want to focus on three meals a day, no snacks or seconds,
and having one treat each day that fits onto my plate,
along with doing some calorie counting,
to make sure I'm not consuming too many calories in my meals.

I think that is a plan that will work the best for me,
and it's one I can stick with for life.
Sounds like a good plan. Image
ImageUsing a computer food journal to track calories
has become an enjoyable Habit for me.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 pm

member of another forum wrote: I know there are a lot of different schools of thought
on how often you should weigh yourself .
But how about maintenance?
Do you weigh more/less frequently than you did during your weight loss?

Also, do you have a trigger weight
that means to you that you need to go back to loss mode,
even if it's just for a few pounds?

I know people fluctuate, so getting used to those rhythms is part of it,
but what number means to you that it's not just a water/natural fluctuation
but that you're starting to gain?

Image I weigh every day, Image
enter it into my computer food journal, and watch my Trend.
I've been Maintaining at or around my goal weight for nearly 5 years.

My signature contains a graphic that shows my Maintenance plan.
I have frequent large bounces due to water/salt/waste, which can easily be from 5 to 8 pounds
so I use a larger Maintenance area than some people.

If I am in the "Blue area", I work to stay inside it.
Sometimes that involves dropping several pounds in anticipation of a special eating event.
I've been inside my "Green area" for two days of the entire 5 year period,
and I think that was due to an unusually large water/salt/waste loss during illness.

If I am in the top "Red area" or...God-Forbid...the "Black area",
I work to stay in weight-loss mode just like when dieting-to-goal the first time.
I've never been in the bottom "Red or Black area",
so I've never had to deal with deliberately trying to gain weight.Image