KCCC's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Forgot to mention that Friday exercise was minimal stretching.

Saturday
No exercise beyond PT. It's actually not been a good day today, in terms of energy/accomplishment. A restful evening helped - we'd planned to go out, but ate leftovers and sat by the fire after instead. Much better choice.

Br - egg in a hole, OJ
L - spanikopita (2 slices), canteloupe
S's (as lunch dessert) - cookies (homemade), truffles,
S - snack - nuts, one portion
D - bean soup, salad, bread, figs.
S - truffles for dessert. A bit of extra bread after supper was over.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Just stopping by to say Hi!

Plan to read your thread to catch up...

Berry :wink:

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:05 am

Hiya, Berry! Glad to see you back.

Sunday was a "good" S-day, except for no exercise - not loving that. Combo of schedule and weather. But I'll be back to the gym tomorrow. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Monday

Exercise - Pilates (plus PT)
Br - oatmeal/cranberries/nuts
L - spanikopita (2 squares), salad, banana
D - TBD

Sunday bedtime: YELLOW. (That means "caution" on this Habitcal - up to half an hour later than targeted.) Going to start reporting those, and I have to say that so far, I'm running about half an hour later than planned pretty consistently. Sigh. An area I really need to work on.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Monday dinner was a beans/rice/sausage dish (a way to use up some "summer sausage" from the holidays), with salad and fruit. Very good.

And I get a SUCCESS on bedtime. I can tell the difference today!

Exercise - Run and PT. (Session 6.2 reprise since I missed the weekend.)

Br - oatmeal, cranberries, nuts
L - leftover beans/rice/sausage, salad, apple
D - Chicken quesadillas, salad, fruit

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 am

Success on bedtime for last night. :)

Exercise - 15 minutes of Pilates plus my PT session, which was WORK.

At a conference most of the day.

Br - one egg, one slice ham, fruit (melon), grits and half a biscuit. A big breakfast, even if all on one plate.
L - salad, roll, veggie blend, chicken cutlet. I left the mashed potatoes and half the cutlet b/c I didn't really care for them.
D - pasta w/clam sauce, salad, fruit salad, one (small) slice bread. Looking back, really a bit more than "one plate" - fruit was in a small dish to the side. If it had been a solid piece of fruit, I could have squeezed it on the plate...but it would have been pretty full. Something to watch.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 pm

SUCCESS on bedtime. Boy, several successes in a row make a real difference in the morning!

Exercise - Running plus PT stretches

Br - oatmeal w/cranberries. Forgot nuts, but didn't miss them.
L - Leftover pasta with clam sauce, fruit salad, and FIGS (I love figs!)
D (planned) - salmon, couscous, salad, and either a cooked veggie or fruit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, we had an unexpected errand, so we ate out instead of at home. Taco Stand usual, No-S compliant if a little heavy.

Missed by 15 minutes on bedtime. Sigh. Just too much to fit in the evening. PT takes time, and with that on top of the errand on top of the usual routine, just didn't quite make it.

L - salad, tangerine, figs, cheese and wheat crackers
D (planned) - yesterday's dinner for today

I am very achy from the physical therapy. Going in today, so I can ask about it.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 am

Back to No-S, though "at home"

Br - yogurt and grapefruit
L - grilled cheese sandwiches, salad, canteloupe
D - mushroom omelets, fruit, biscuits, OJ

Exercise - helped out at MLK day at my son's school (creating beds for veggie gardens), then walked back (about half my normal walk). Plus PT. Which is starting to crowd out all my other exercise. I am feeling very whiny about it, since all the exercises challenge me... but it seems to be working, so I'll plug along.

Nice light meals today, in part b/c the weekend was a little over-the-top. I am thinking about that... wosnes's mod is sounding attractive, just as a way to break the "It's Sunday night! How much can I stuff in before this S-day ends?" cycle. (I did stop when I "heard" myself think that, but I don't like that tendency.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Success on bedtime. :)

Exercise- PT took up the whole slot, since I have some strength exercises to do every other day. Sigh. It counts, but I need a walk too.

Br - oatmeal, nuts, craisins
L - salad, apple, leftover biscuits (1.5) and cheddar
D - spaghetti, bread and bean dip, salad, fruit mix
(I could eat the bread/bean combo for my main supper, and so could my son... but not hubby. So I'll consider the two together to be protein/starch, and take small portions of each. The "plate division" rule of thumb will help on this one.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Eating out all day b/c of meetings.

Br - egg biscuit, plus an extra coffee.
L - cup of tomato and goat-cheese soup, salad with croutons and olives, piece of foccaccia
D (planned, in the crockpot at home) - chicken, potatoes, squash, onions; salad with that.

Exercise is only PT so far. Sigh. I need to stop whining about PT, but... no. Stop. Remember the big goal, and that it's worth it.

ETA... got home late, so really LOVED having dinner ready. Came out pretty well - I'm not the best at crockpot cooking, but I'm learning.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 pm

KCCC wrote:
Exercise is only PT so far. Sigh. I need to stop whining about PT, but... no. Stop. Remember the big goal, and that it's worth it.

I'm not the best at crockpot cooking, but I'm learning.
First of all KCCC, thank you so much for your kindness. I appreciate your wisdom and support, as always. I know I've told you before, and others here on these boards, that if we lived closer, we would be friends - not that we aren't cyber-friends, but real live friends who talk and do things together :lol:

As far as PT goes...I've just finished two months of it and you are exactly right - it's worth it. Painful at times, and hard to complete all the exercises at homes sometimes, but SO worth it.

Crockpot? One of my best friends! I love my crockpot! In fact, I have white beans cooking in mine right now. Maybe since there are so many working women on this board, we should start a crockpot recipe thread! :idea:

Hope you have a great day!
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Always good to hear from you, mimi - and I agree about being friends. :)

The PT had me feeling "beat up" for a bit. It's not hard stuff, but it's intended to challenge my body, and it does. So, I feel as if I haven't had "real" exercise, but I'm tired/sore from it. And it adds up to a LOT of time, which is the big stressor in my life.

But my therapist lightened my load a bit yesterday, and I'm less sore and I can see progress... so... I'm less whiny. :)

Would love some good crock pot recipes. The one thing I consistently make in it is 15-bean soup, and that always wins. Haven't found much else. Crock pot recipe books that I've looked at have not impressed me because...
a) They rely on huge hunks of meat, which I don't generally cook/eat.
b) They use canned soup, which I never use and won't buy (okay, I'm a snob about that)
c) They have a step along the lines of "one hour before serving, add..." Well, one hour before I'm on the road, and it needs to be done when I come home!

BBQ chicken (2 meals worth) has worked for me. And yesterday I cooked a mix of vegetables (potatoes, onions, butternut squash) with chicken and spices on top. Not bad! I had a splash of white wine in it, so kept the juices that cooked out of everything to throw in soup later.

I keep scouting for good things I can try... so if you have something to offer, let me know!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 pm

For today...

Success on bedtime. Love that.

Exercise - did 35 minutes on the Elliptical (I've been taking off of running) and about 20 minutes of PT.

Br - oatmeal, nuts, craisins
L - leftover chicken/squash/potatoes; fruit salad, tangerine
D - Hodgepodge of leftovers - I'll just use the "plate management" system to make sure I have enough veggies/fruits. :)

There was a big reception at work today, where I was urged to eat by the sponsor... I told him it looked lovely, moved toward the line, and managed to slip away. It did look lovely, but it's a snack I don't need. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Success on bedtime. Boy, can I tell the cumulative effect!

Exercise - PT stretches plus some abs.

Issues with PT... they are mostly stretches with a bit of strength work thrown in on alternate days, plus some "nerve glides." They DO challenge me - that's the purpose - but they don't FEEL like real exercise. And added together, they take a lot of time ("hold for 30 seconds. Repeat 10 times. Do the other side....next exercise, the same."), and I don't have a lot of time for exercise. Then there's the tracking... some are 3x/day, some 2s/ay, some 1x/day, and some every other day.

I brought that up to my PT person, and got two things:
1) Some are alternatives. I can do this OR that.
2) Do what I can.

So, I made a list of all the exercises, divided by frequency. And I do the 3/2/1 in the morning, 3 only during the day (spread out as I have a moment) and 2/3 at night. I'm ALSO trying to fit in a little "real" exercise - a short-but-intense round on the elliptical (yesterday), some ab work (today). My usual "15 minute minimum," but kept intense enough for me to feel that I've worked out.

Yes, I'm compulsive. But this is helping me feel that I'm "doing what I can" without making me crazy. :)

Br - oatmeal, craisins, nuts
L - "hodgepodge" again - a dab of leftover squash/potato/onion; two mini-quiches (very processed stuff left over from a party; 4= 1 serving); 2 servings of fruit, one a mixed fruit salad and one canteloupe.
D- TBD. Child is eating at a friend's, hubby home late (most likely). I may treat myself and eat out at my favorite health-food-grocery-hot-bar, that hubby isn't fond of.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Sounds like you're doing great & have a wonderful attitude about the PT!

In terms of crockpot cooking, have you checked out Stephanie O'Dea's blog? crockpot365.blogspot.com ... A couple of years ago, O'Dea challenged herself to make something in the crockpot everyday for a year. While not every recipe is a keeper, she has some really good ones and many that go beyond the realm typical crockpot fare ... and very few that call for "cream of" soups and the like. (It is also adapted so any of the recipes can be gluten-free which I love since we have friends and family members who have celiac disease.) She has a book, too, "Make it Fast, Cook It Slow" which came out a few months ago and the soups I've had for lunch recently have been her recipes.

Enjoy your special dinner,
Shannon

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:11 am

Thanks, Shannon, for both the kind words and the crockpot reference. (I started to type "Sophia," from your user name, then saw your signature.) The attitude comes and goes. I whine more than I'm proud of, but I'm trying to cut back on it and just do what I need to.

I'll check out the crockpot blog. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Note to self: three nights of not-quite-enough sleep are also cumulative. Even if it is the weekend, stick with the program.

At a meeting today...
Br - 2 slices bacon, egg, grits, biscuit. Larger than normal.
L - one plate, half veggies, the rest a slice of ham and a roll. I skipped the potatoes, etc. (There were separate salad plates, but I'm so used to thinking "one plate" that I walked right by them...)
D (planned) - sausages, sweet potatoes, salad, some other veg/fruit.

Exercise... well, a few stretches. Most of my morning PT, but that's about it. Hope to do better.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Got in the rest of my PT yesterday (including the strength exercises). I'm allowing them to count as my 15 minutes of exercise because it took real effort to get them in at all, and I need a gold star! (Or green, as the case may be.)

Success on bedtime as well. Thank goodness!

L - split pea soup, salad, tangerine, bread (homemade)
D (planned) chicken with chard and brown rice, canteloupe, some other veg from freezer.

Exercise today - 30 minutes on the Elliptical, plus PT stretches.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 am

PT stretches (Strength series plus actual PT session) were my workout today. I ache.

Br - egg in a hole
L - one plate from my favorite healthy place, half of it salad. With two dried figs, which I enjoyed as if they were dessert.
D - new recipe from Bittman's cookbook - pasta with mushroom sauce; salad; homemade bread, with bean dip/spread. (My son hates mushrooms - I gave him pasta w/butter and parmesan, and made the bean dip mostly for him, since he adores it.)

On the figs... I've written before about how much I love figs. For a moment, I actually wondered while I was eating them today if they ought to be an "S" because they're so sweet and rich, then realized that was ridiculous, that of course they weren't "S's"!! But I find the flavor so sweet and complex... which made me remember that post wosnes had about how sugar undermines our ability to appreciate complex flavors. I do enjoy food so much more now than I used to!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 am

Boy, it's amazing how many people are on the board. Even though I post almost every day, my thread gets pushed down by all the newer posts. Great to see this much activity!

Bedtime... made it, but unaccountably woke up at 4:30. Oh well.

B - oatmeal with nuts - forgot the cranberries. good anyway.
L - I'd packed a lunch, but the team went out for Chinese. Shrimp with vegetables, egg drop soup, a spring roll. I left the rice and chicken wing in order to virtual plate the soup.
D - salmon, salad with avocados, sweet potatoes (left over from earlier in the week), homemade bread.

Exercise - 30 minutes on the elliptical, PT stretches.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Success on bedtime last night. Woke up before the alarm. Love that feeling of being truly rested.

Exercise - a bit of walking and abs, plus PT - stretches + strength today. About 50 minutes total.

Br - homemade peasant bread with bean dip/spread, 3 figs
L - Leftover chicken and chard, salad, canteloupe
D - TBD. Something easy, or out. Black bean soup is one option... or this: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ultra- ... d_ricotta/ Hmmm... definitely an option. (Thinking as I type...)

ETA: Tried the recipe. My tortillas are smaller than the ones indicated, and crisped up too fast - cheese wasn't quite melt-y enough. Still good, but a VERY light meal. I'm having trouble resisting snacking at this point, even after a glass of wine.

Oh well, tomorrow is an S-day. I'll wait.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Post on the main board that I want to keep:
"It's an S-day. You're allowed." That's what the little voice in my head says too often on S-days... the part that still doesn't have a reasonable relationship with food. The part that's made up of old habits that have been pushed out of N-days, but still have a toe-hold on S days. I'm always sorry when I listen to it, because I end up eating stuff I really don't like/enjoy that much, and feeling yucky.

But I'm learning to talk back to it.

-"Allowed," yes. "Obliged," no. I can eat it IF I want it, but I don't have to just because it's an S day.
-Yes, but I'm not hungry.
-Yes, but I don't want to spoil my dinner.
-Yes, but I've had enough.
-Yes, but I'd rather have ___ later, and I know I won't want it if I eat this now.

If I do want it, or am hungry, of course I can have it. It's an S-day. But *I* get to decide that, not old habits. They've been supplanted by new ones, and need to recognize that they no longer rule.

(The best defense is a proactive offense. If I've planned a special treat, random junk holds far less appeal.)
This is important for me.

So far on this S-day, I've exercised (T-Tapp Basic Plus, Wii Fit - total 45 minutes), done my PT (which has been streamlined a bit - I think the therapists realized they'd overloaded me), and cooked a lot! I'm holding off on lunch until my home-made foccacia comes out of the oven.

Br - breakfast burrito (tortilla filled with beans, egg, cheese, salsa), juice. (I liked it. Family endured it. Oh well. LOT of beans left, which I will use up later.)
L - will be a salad with lots of goodies in it and foccacia. I have nuts, red pepper, marinated artichokes and pepperoni to go in my salad. Can't wait!
S (planned) - homemade cherry pie, cooling as we speak
D (planned) - black bean soup (to use up the breakfast beans) and more foccacia or tortilla chips.

There may be other S's in the day... but this is the "backbone" structure. I like my meals, so would rather not spoil my appetite for them during the day.
Last edited by kccc on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 am

Saturday was pretty good. I really enjoyed my food, which was pretty much as outlined plus a few home-made chocolate-chip cookies.

Sunday was a bit over the top, though I did keep to my 3-meal structure. Just too much snacking in between lunch and dinner. At this point... I'm so done. At least I'm learning to recognize the "what else can I eat?" trap and climb out faster.

Good weekend. Expected snow/ice didn't happen (probably because we prepared, lol!), and we had some fun things planned that we really enjoyed. And enjoyed little moments too, like silliness while folding laundry together. I am so grateful for weekends like this with my family. Moments to savor.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:57 am

Well, the week tanked fast. I am sick - came on fast and hard. Coughing so hard I'm worried about my ribs. Yuck.

Did get in exercise on Monday, just my PT stretches today. Okay on food... honestly, No-S is reminding me to get some nourishment at reasonable hours.

This too shall pass.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Yesterday was a "lost day"... lying in bed with a 102+ temp, too sick to read (for me, that's sick). Today, the temp has dropped to 100+. Still not well, but the difference is astonishing.

No appetite. I'm using No-S to remind myself to take some nourishment... primarily soup and yogurt.

This too shall pass.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Finally over being sick, and trying desperately to catch up from it.

Ate at normal intervals while ill - just soup or yogurt, but I think it helped me to remember to take some nourishment. So, no trouble getting back on No-S. That's nice.

Exercise suffered, as would be expected, but I'm getting back on track with that as well. Habitcal is untracked, and I don't think I'll bother bringing it up to date.

Tuesday
Br - yogurt and apple
L - leftover quiche, salad, focaccia
D - pasta fagioli, salad, cinnamon apples, broccoli

Light exercise - mostly PT stretches plus a bit of yoga.

One thing... some food went bad when I was sick, because my husband simply doesn't cook. (Child was over at a friend's one night, and fed fast food the others. Sigh.) I hate it when good food has to be thrown out. Not too much - some spaghetti sauce and some canteloupe. I used up some mushrooms right away when I got better; was surprised they made it. That's one down-side to eating "food" (as opposed to "food-like products") - it does go bad if you don't use it in time.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Just a note to tell you I frequently read your posts,
and enjoy seeing your point of view
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 am

Hi, BA! Thanks for stopping by. I read your posts too, and am always glad to see you doing well. :)

Wednesday...
Did PT- the strength exercises - plus 10 minutes on an exercise bike, but that was it. Not great. Overall, it meets my minimum, but it feels a little like cheating to include PT. But I'm still working back into real exercise... still a bit run down.

Had a PT appointment, and they're cutting me loose on the hip diagnosis. (The neck/shoulder is still active.) The problem isn't all gone, but there's nothing more they can do for me. However, if I keep up my exercises, the expectation is that it will continue to improve over time. So, okay.

No-S SUCCESS
Br - 1/2 bagel with cream cheese
L - plate at my favorite place - 1/2 salad (with lots of yummies), 1/4 grilled chicken, 1/4 potatoes and creamed spinach. Delish! One of my favorite parts of No-S is that I can eat out and enjoy doing so.
D - spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, pasta with clam sauce, focaccia. I love homemade focaccia! Some left for lunch, too.

One extra coffee... a truly cold day. And I may get a glass of wine - haven't had one in ages.

When I have meals I enjoy so much, N days are a pleasure. And dinner was a hit with EVERYONE, including a picky child-guest. I like that.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Exercise - yoga plus PT plus a little bit of walking (very little).

Br - oatmeal with craisins and nuts. Man, I love this breakfast! Never get tired of it.
L - leftover pasta fagioli, salad with cherry tomatoes and feta, slice of focaccia
D - TBD. I had the "night off" for me, but my event has been cancelled. Dh told me I could still have the night off... the question is, what to do and what to eat? (Dh will do mac-and-cheese for the family.)

Options... going to the local yarn store to knit (which is what I had planned to do with friends, but they can't make it). Shop - I never have time to shop, and am always a bit low on clothes as a result. Or just go home and have a normal relaxing evening with the family. Hm... may need to choose (c) since it occured to me that we have some work that needs doing that won't happen if I'm not there to push a bit. But I'll think about it...

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Dinner yesterday was tuna melts and salad. But I did get some knitting time at home.

Exercise today: Pilates routine + PT/Strength

L - salad, carrot, chicken, crackers
D - TBD... out with hubby, weather permitting.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm so glad you're feeling better KCCC and getting back into routine...I neglected to thank you for your encouraging and supportive - as always - response to my rant on my emotional eating on my thread. Your insight and advice was much appreciated. If I take the time to analyze why I want to eat and identify the feelings I'm experiencing, I can usually head off using food for comfort. But sometimes I just don't WANT to take the time -- I just want to eat - and I do. The end result is always the same - I feel badly afterward. My new tactic is to go to another room if I'm at home, or another area away from all food if I'm elsewhere, and try to identify what's going on.
NoS is my way of life now, and it has helped me with so many eating/food/dieting issues that I am determined to continue living this way. If I lose another 10-15 pounds that will be fine, but if not, that will be okay too. I don't ever want to go back to how I treated food *before NoS* - I just need to acknowledge that there will be times of slip-ups and backslides, but I can work through them.
Thanks friend - stay inside and warm! Enjoy your weekend!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Mimi! Thanks for coming by - I always enjoy a comment on my thread. I think you're general approach to No-S is really wise.

Snow started coming down last night. For us in Georgia, it's a Big Deal. We don't get it often, and don't have any infrastructure for dealing. On the other hand, it's very festive when it happens, like a communal holiday! (The big issue is that it usually melts and refreezes as ice, which makes driving dangerous and pulls down trees and powerlines.)

This is a Perfect Snow. It came down beautifully, and stuck. But it's snow, not the nasty ice we usually get. Power stayed on, and roads are not too bad. After some hesitation, we decided to go ahead with evening plans, minus eating out (were meeting another family to go the new Percy Jackson movie, after which my son was sleeping over with theirs). I was a bit concerned, but the driving was really okay as long as we went slowly, which we did. This morning, it had turned to ice... but by noon, it had pretty much melted off the road. Still on the ground, and packs exactly right for a snowman. Beautiful, not too disruptive... perfect. I have the boys for the afternoon, and we've had a great day.

Dinner last night was quesadillas, a bit of salad, and some cranberries and nuts. (I really wanted a treat, and decided that would have to do. Fridays can be hard sometimes. Nothing at the movie.)

Today: Exercise - T-Tapp basic plus, and stomach series, PT basics. And a little snow-man building. :)
B- egg in a hole, juice
L - pancakes, sausage, fruit (Boy Scouts "pancake breakfast" became a "pancake lunch." Hubby picked our plates up when he got the boys.) Plus a small slice of still-warm bread (pumpernickel - first time I've tried that).
Snack/treats - apple pie (homemade this morning, still warm) and a bit of chocolate.
D - TBD.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 pm

The weekend got over the top really fast. Ugghh...

But. Monday I was back on track, despite working from home. Sometimes it's hard to put the brakes on a downhill run when the context doesn't change, so that was good.

Monday
Exercise - Yoga and PT/strength
L - salad, bagel with cream cheese and sardines (I know. I love it anyway.)
D - sausage, mashed potatoes, focaccia, salad, fruit salad

All on one plate, but the focaccia AND mashed potatoes are a bit out of bounds. I don't usually do 2 carbs for dinner. Something to attend to (but I do love that bread!)

Tuesday, so far
Exercise: 30 minutes on Elliptical, PT stretches
Haven't done cardio in a while - since before I got so sick. Really can tell! Yoga and Pilates and such are all good, but I need to be sure to include cardio as well.

L (planned) - soup (15 bean with ham), bread (homemade pumpernickel), salad, fruit
D (planned) - bbq chicken (in crockpot now!), potato salad, veg from freezer (probably broccoli or California mix).

Let my Habitcal go when I was sick, and don't feel like bothering until March. I realize that's a form of "I failed once, now I must continue to fail," but trying to perfect on all fronts is stupid/stressful, and that one is minor in the grand scheme of things, so I'm letting it go.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Yesterday was as planned. :) Veg was peas and carrots.

Exercise - T-Tapp Basic Plus, PT

Br - cheese toast, two small slices on homemade pumpernickel (trying to use it up)
L - leftover bbq chicken, potato salad, green salad, and focaccia. Hm.. should probably have had another veg in there, and one less carb. Done now.
D (planned) - BBQ chicken pizza and salad. Maybe a piece of fruit.

And I went ahead and posted on my Habitcal. After I wrote yesterday, it really struck me that the "I failed, so I must continue to fail" attitude was beyond silly. (Besides, I want to track the meditation habit I'm picking up for Lent.)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

You mentioned 2 carbs on a plate reminded me. I've been baking bread lately - and it's good :). I do have to wonder if all this extra bread could be the reason I've stalled the last few weeks.

I filled in my habitcal for three months with success as the default. Now the only way I would need to do anything to it would be to log in and change a green to a red - and no way do I want to do that!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 am

Dandelion wrote:You mentioned 2 carbs on a plate reminded me. I've been baking bread lately - and it's good :). I do have to wonder if all this extra bread could be the reason I've stalled the last few weeks.

I filled in my habitcal for three months with success as the default. Now the only way I would need to do anything to it would be to log in and change a green to a red - and no way do I want to do that!
Baking bread here too - I've been doing the artisan bread, and my family LOVES it. And so do I! But I've sort of been putting a serving of bread on the EDGE of my plate, and normally my carbs are a quadrant OF my plate. Which I just noticed recently, and am considering... it's gotten to be kind of "extra." I think if I just put it on my plate properly, then it won't be an issue.

Good idea filling the habitcal out in advance. I may try that.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Yesterday's dinner got derailed because hubby called to say he wouldn't be home. I didn't feel like bothering with making pizza for one, so had a "hodgepodge" dinner of leftovers-that-needed to be used (last slice pumpernickel and 1/2 tin of sardines) and grocery-treats (avocodo-vegetable rolls and Greek yogurt). A slightly large plate, but okay.

Today

Exercise: PT/strength and some squats, abs, and step - about 40-45 minuts total.

Br - oatmeal, craisins, nuts. I never get tired of this!
L (planned) - split pea soup from the freezer, crackers, carrot, banana. (It is really nice to have frozen soup for the I-don't-have-any-leftovers-for-lunch days.)
D - TBD. I'm working late, and will probably go out with a colleague. As long as it's one plate...

Feeling a little "beat-up" from my PT session yesterday - which I was warned I would. But the overall trend is good, so I will bear with it. Wish I could ice my neck/shoulder at work, though.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:56 am

have you ever tried 'baked oatmeal'? I use this as a basis, but instead of pumpkin use chopped apple, dried cranberries, pecans - whatever :)

http://spaininiowa.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... tmeal.html

I am seriously thinking of 'pizza for one' tomorrow for lunch. I could make it for dinner though and everyone else would probably be happy. Focaccia would be good, too.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Well, I did have the focaccia. Olive oil, locally grown tomato and mozzarella I picked up last time we went to the farm....worth waiting til nearly 3 pm for :)

Too bad the fungus gnats killed my basil...
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Great recipe, Dandelion. I have put steel-cut oats on the grocery list. (I usually buy rolled, b/c cooking steel-cut takes more time than I have. But I could do this on a weekend.)

The recipe also made me want to go on a roasting/freezing binge when the pumpkins are next in season. :) I usually just make a few pies, then let it go.

==
Dinner Th was a Loco's "Sunshine Salad", with only 1/2 the bread. (I'm snobby at this point, lol!)

Friday... walked and did PT for exercise
Br - oatmeal, craisins, nuts, plus a banana
L - steak salad, tiny roll
D - salmon burgers, canteloupe, strawberries. The fruit was a real treat!

Saturday...
Br - Egg on toast, small serving tapioca, slice canteloupe
L - salad with crasins, nuts AND feta; TWO slices home-made focaccia. Two Girl Scout Thin Mints.
D - TBD

I made tapioca pudding last night as a treat for ds, who adores it. Today I made another batch after breakfast! He and dh had some last night, and we all had some with breakfast - it's not really that sweet, and I portion it out in little pyrex cups so that the serving sizes don't creep up.

Breakfast was big. I ended up eating a late lunch as a result. Which is okay. My only goal for today is NOT to perma-snack. Seconds are okay, desserts at every meal... but no snacks. They mess me up too much.

Trying to plan menus for this week... so will be cruising daily threads looking for ideas!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Weekend was okay. Did stick to my "non-permasnacking" goal, but ate enough at meals and included enough treats to not feel deprived. Sunday evening was a bit over-the-top (and I was sorry), but that's better than the whole weekend. Not sure why weekends are rebounding on me... maybe general life stress at the moment.

Monday

Exercise - Yoga class plus PT
Br - oatmeal
L - leftovers: chicken, stuffing, salad, dried apricots for a treat
D - either honey-dijon shrimp or quesadillas. Whatever is not for today is for tomorrow.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Exercise - elliptical 25 minutes and PT/strength

Br - oatmeal w/craisins and nuts, banana
L - Butternut squash soup, crackers, salad, applesauce
D - Honey dijon shrimp with rice and veg (quesadillas and fruit salad yesterday).

It's 4:00 and I'm hungry. But that's okay... I know it won't last.

la_loser

Checkin' in with you!

Post by la_loser » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 am

KCCC,

Helllooooo!!! Missed reading all your posts; I hope to be back on the boards regularly now for a while (I know I said that a few months ago but this time it may really happen!)

Life is been way tooo busy and when I'm on the computer, it's always work-related; I had to cut the strands of my "web" addiction to attend to everything else!

Take care.

b
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi, LA! It is SOOOO nice to see you... but I totally understand about not really having time. So, whenever you're here, I'm glad to see you. And don't worry about catching up on threads - just read what you have time for. (I try to treat the internet like a river that I dip in and out of... ) But if you want a quick catchup, I updated my testamonial thread. Also, I'm in Physical Therapy (PT) for some issues that seem to be improving, but take some work on my part. How have you been?

Wednesday...
Br - cheese toast, canteloupe (doesn't "stick" as well as oatmeal, lol!)
L - Went to my favorite grocery, but too early for the deli bar to be open, except the salad side. So, I picked up a range of salad toppings that will be a treat, plus some calamari from the sushi section. My lunch will be salad, calamari, and homemade bread
D (planned) - pasta with clam sauce, bread, and whatever fruit/veg I can figure out.

Have some mushrooms I need to use up... maybe I'll cook them and have them as a side. And some bananas/apples for fruit. We'll see... have a picky child-guest, but I know he likes the pasta.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Lunch yesterday was wonderful. I like the Japanese Calamari Salad, though it's just spicy enough that I was glad to have bread with it.

Dinner was good too - I cooked up the mushrooms and had it as a side for the grown-ups to add to their pasta-with-clam sauce. The grownups loved it. The kids didn't have to have it. Side of salad for me (with some toppings left from lunch) and fruit for kids.

Only exercise was PT, but I had a session and they "beat me up" a little. It included 10 minutes on the bike and a bunch of other exercises, so met my normal minimum. I am sore.

Today
Exercise: PT/Strength plus squats, abs, and some extra stretches
Br - oatmeal, apricots, and nuts. I'm not tired of the craisins yet, but the apricots made a nice change.
L - Leftover dinner. Pasta with clam sauce, salad, a slice of mushroom focaccia, and 3 dried figs. Rather a hefty portion, but SOOOO GOOOOD. (But I note that I could have packed less for myself.)
D -TBD. Eating out with friends, their choice of restaurant. I fear it's Mexican and the chips will get me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Thursday was Mexican. I did okay on chips, but my plate was really too big.

Friday I de-railed. No exercise. Too much food - an actual red for the first time in a while. Stayed up too late. No meditation.

Saturday and Sunday I was a train wreck. No exercise/meditation... just abandoned all my routines. I curled up with a book (and too much food) and was useless.

Hubby says sometimes you need "fallow time." That's a generous interpretation, and I'll take it. But it's time to be back on track now... I don't really LIKE the way I feel when I abandon all my good routines.

Exercise - Yoga
L - bread/cheese/pickle, salad, fruit salad.
D (planned) - fish with pesto, etc.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Getting back on track, despite derailments...

Monday dinner was not fish - hubby had to leave, and I fixed Tower of Tortilla for me and ds. Fish will be tonight.

Exercise: Pilates (15 min) and PT (strength)
Br - cheese toast on sourdough, dried apricots
L TBD
D - fish with pesto, veg, potatoes

Home with a sick child today, so schedule is off.

And I did meditate yesterday, and got back on the overall general routine. Whew! My usual target for any routine is "5 of 7 days," but I can see that it's best if my off days are not back-to-back... one off-day is easy to recover from, two are harder, and THREE (which I hit last week) takes a real effort of will. A good reason to "keep doing what I want to be a habit."

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 pm

A red for yesterday... some pumpkin bread left on the counter called my name after lunch. (Lunch was particularly unsatisfying.)

It's red, but not a dark red. I did not allow it to derail the rest of the day. So there.

Still... I'm having more reds than I like. Part of that is (TMI alert) that menopause is hitting hard of late. Part of it is life-in-general - too much to do, not enough time, etc. I feel overwhelmed on every front.

So, it's time to hold hard to my habits. I had a red in eating, but got through all the rest of my routine items yesterday, which I did not on the three prior days...and that was in the face of a stressful, difficult day. Today will be better - I can tell already. Going in the right direction... so I will focus on what I need to do, do it, and (for now) celebrate those baby steps as accomplishments. Practice what I preach about being gentle with myself.

My current habit-focus is meditation, for Lent. Serendipitously, Zencasts had a recent session on "how to meditate." I listened to it, and noticed how they stressed is that being a beginner is frustrating because expectations are so high, and that you will do much better if you can avoid self-criticism. Awareness, yes. But no beating yourself up for "doing badly." I am listening to that, and trying to apply it to other areas of my life as well.

Today...
Exercise was a short walk plus PT
L - Leftover tower of tortilla, salad, dried apricots
D (planned) pasta with meat sauce, veg/fruit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 am

Thursday...

No exercise due to an early meeting. :(

Br - bagel and fruit
L - salad, veggies, and 1/2 ham sandwich
D - leftover pasta with meat sauce, broccoli, salad, and bread

I think I deserve a glass of wine too. Rough work day.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I had my wine last night, but also happened to pick up an issue of Yoga Journal on my bedside. On the front: "Wired and Tired?" It had my name on it.

The poses were simple and restful, the routine short. But I did 15 minutes, which is my minimum-to-count, and felt MUCH better. :)

Today

Exercise - 15 minutes, including strength PT (normally pitiful, but since I had a 7:30 meeting, I'm pleased to have squeezed it in)

Br - bagel w/cream cheese
L - last of the leftover pasta, salad, nectarine, small slice bread
D - TBD. Probably grilled cheese and salad.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Grilled cheese and fruit last night. I really wanted dessert, but had wine again.

Today

B - egg in a hole
L - tuna melt, fruit. Three thin mint cookies and two Dove minis for dessert.
D - TBD. We're cleaning out the fridge before a trip, so it will either be leftovers or a pantry meal. Have some salad left to use up.

No exercise yet.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:20 am

Wow, my thread was almost at the bottom of the page!

Been gone a week, on Spring Break, which I treated as a vacation. Lots of routines went away (not only traveling, but still had a paper to write despite the break, so didn't manage the usual exercise). Meditation really took a hit.

But I'm back, and getting back on track.

I was pleased that I didn't gain weight on vacation. I had some S's throughout, but not excessively - a slice of carrot cake at my in-laws one evening, that kind of thing. Usually kept to a normal meal structure, and just had one S per day. Not really planned that way, but that's sort of how it naturally worked out.

Exercise - walking, PT strength
Br - oatmeal w/craisins and nuts
L - black bean chili, bread, salad, dried apricots
D - chicken quesadillas, salad, apple/banana mix (1/2 of each)
And, because it's our 19th anniversary, some chocolate crisps from a fancy box that I'd been saving after dinner. :) A 150-cal splurge for a very special occasion.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:39 pm

Wednesday

Only exercise was extended PT (strength, plus about 10 minutes on the exercise bike)

Br - 1/2 bagel, pb, banana (big bagel)
L- baked potato soup, roll, and 1/2 pimento cheese sandwich (more on that below)
D - bean soup with ham (mine, in the crockpot), homemade bread

Overall, a bit light on veggies (even with tomatoes/onions in the soup), but it's one day. Watching it today, though.

Barely fit in meditation (at minimum level) but am glad I did that. Minimums count - they're doing something in the right direction, as opposed to doing nothing at all.

The lunch was a fund-raiser for hunger called "Empty bowl lunch." Local artists donate handmade bowls, and for a $20 donation you get a bowl of soup in a lovely bowl, plus the sandwich (not very good, which is why I ate only half and added a wheat roll instead - not fond of commercial white bread) and a big cookie (which I left off)... and you get to keep the bowl. You do have to listen to a presentation as well, but that's okay - the Food Bank is already on my radar. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Thursday

L - bean soup, bread, carrot, dried apricots
D - sausage, couscous, peas/carrots, bread, peaches

Exercise - PT strength and "power" walking (not enough time, but high energy).

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Forgot Friday...

Exercise - PT and strength class (modified)

Br - oatmeal
L - went out to Longhorn's - chicken/portobello mushrooms with seasonal veggies and two slices of bread. I left a bit.
D - tuna melts, peaches

Saturday
A good S-day... see post on "quality vs. quantity." Minimal exercise, but enough to meet the minimum-to-count.

Sunday
So far so good, but I know that the end of Sunday often leads to "got to fit in a treat" panic. Even though I can't fail on an S-day, it's still a danger zone. So, I'm being cautious, and reminding myself I CAN have what I want, but ONLY if I genuinely want it. No mindless eating!!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Made it through Sunday relatively well. A last-minute handful of cookies near bedtime, but I've done much, much worse.

For the most part, my "S's" this weekend were desserts after meals, which I enjoyed but weren't TOO excessive.

Today
Exercise- Yoga class plus PT (regular)
Br - oatmeal w/craisins
L - leftover tofu stir-fry from last night, 2 mini-egg rolls (pre-packaged, alas... had some frozen ones left from a party and baked them last night), salad
D - TBD - pasta of some nature

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Dinner was pasta with meat sauce (a rarity in our house), salad, and strawberries.

Today:
Exercise was PT/strength plus 25 minutes on the Elliptical (and a few laps of the track to cool off)

L - LO pasta, salad, a carrot and dried apricots
D - will be pizza and fruit. It's soccer season, and my night to take our kid coincides with the Pizza Special at our local chain. Meant to be. ;)

Have not been reporting meditation, which didn't go well over break... but I'm getting back in the groove with it. Serenipitously, Zencasts is doing a "learn to meditate" series. I don't do the homework at the same level (they're doing 20 minutes; I'm doing 5-10), but I do find the weekly sessions helpful. I love it when the universe offers me a helping hand. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Yesterday ended up being RED. :(

I had an extra slice of pizza at dinner. Then, because I'd blown it already, I had another. ("I have failed, so I must continue to fail..." Doh.)

Then I pulled out of that ridiculous mindset, and quit eating. Which was good, because when that pizza hit bottom, I was over-full. If I'd added anything more, I'd have been miserable.

It was definitely a red. However, I take consolation in the moving definition of "red" (the mass quantities of pizza that now feel binge-like to me USED to be a normal serving!!) and the fact that I DID put on the brakes. There was a time when I'd have eaten the rest of the evening.

I also recognize that I have a limit to how much I can cope with during a day, and am in a "danger zone" for eating (or missing on other routines/habits) when I exceed it. Whenever I'm planning for something and putting a lot of effort in, and have to change directions multiple time, it eats up some capacity in me...I can do it about three times, and then I'm out of gas for "doing the right thing." So, I need to keep "doing the right thing" as EASY as possible on those kinds of days. (If I could predict them, I would.)

Yesterday, I had two "direction changes" at work, then raced to get my son for soccer, running late (which I hate), and he fussed about going (which I hate)... turns out this season we don't practice twice a week. So, nobody there when we got there, and I had to call around and find out what was happening. (We got on the team late. I checked with the coach by email and asked "Tu/Th practice like last year," and he confirmed... but it's only Th). Wish I'd known before breaking my neck to get him there. So, by then, was out of energy. I'd planned pizza for dinner because of soccer practice, and went with it b/c my son was looking forward to it... and the rest is history.

However... I did my meditation. So there.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

KCCC wrote:Then I pulled out of that ridiculous mindset, and quit eating. Which was good, because when that pizza hit bottom, I was over-full. If I'd added anything more, I'd have been miserable.

It was definitely a red. However, I take consolation in the moving definition of "red" (the mass quantities of pizza that now feel binge-like to me USED to be a normal serving!!) and the fact that I DID put on the brakes. There was a time when I'd have eaten the rest of the evening.
It's interesting how difficult training oneself to STOP when recognizing a failure actually is.

That's awesome that you are doing it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Noel, thanks for the encouragement.

One very silly but helpful thing... I loved the orginal Star Wars, but hated the trilogy that described how Darth Vader came to be. Never even saw the Revenge of the Sith, but I read (somewhere, online, now gone) an extraordinarly funny plot summary written in mock script format. Every few lines, they'd insert "Padme cries," which pretty much summed up her role from everything I heard/read at the time. Anyway, at one point in that summary, Anakin says woodenly "I have been bad. Now I must continue to be bad." That cracked me up. (And yes, I believe that was followed by "Padme cries.")

So, that makes me laugh everytime I catch myself actually in "I have failed, so I must continue to fail" thinking, and sort of breaks me out of it.

(I warned you this was silly. But hey, whatever works, right?)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

KCCC wrote:So, that makes me laugh everytime I catch myself actually in "I have failed, so I must continue to fail" thinking, and sort of breaks me out of it.

I thought under the Everyday Systems philosophy, humor in changing a behavior was supposed to be a feature!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 am

NoelFigart wrote:
KCCC wrote:So, that makes me laugh everytime I catch myself actually in "I have failed, so I must continue to fail" thinking, and sort of breaks me out of it.

I thought under the Everyday Systems philosophy, humor in changing a behavior was supposed to be a feature!
Good point - though sometimes, the things that I find amusing might not resonate with everyone. I'm always inordinately pleased when they do. ;)

Today...

Minimal exercise - PT appointment where they worked me, starting with the bike for 10 minutes.

Br - egg in a hole
L - One plate at the food bar of my favorite wholesome grocery :)
S - Pasta with clam sauce, salad, bread. Yum!

On lunch... I totally luuurve this place. The food is all "real," they list ingredients, and the plates are a reasonable size. I always fill half my plate with salad. It's a fun salad, full of bits and pieces of things that I wouldn't have at home (at least, not all at once) or couldn't cook as well. I love the variety. Very frequently, someone will comment that it's "pretty" because of all the colors. Then I do the protein/carb on the other half. Usually a bit less than 1/4 plate each, because there are always some interesting veg I want to try too. It's a full-but-not-at-all-ridiculous plate at the end, and I find it incredibly, incredibly satisfying.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Thursday was good - not going back to remember details, but all fine, including exercise.

Friday -

Exercise: PT, took a walk (short, but nice to get outdoors)

Br - egg, toast
L - salad, homemade bread with bean spread, 4 dried apricots
D - leftover chicken/broccoli casserole from last night, salad, one more slice of bread w/dip, canteloupe slice (Sounds like a lot, but it was one plateful)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Saturday was a conference. Started at 8:30 AM with contenintal breakfast and ended with a fancy dinner (with music that was too loud) that concluded at 10:30 PM. Though it was an exceptionally good conference overall, I was ready to crawl in a hole and pull it in after me by the end.

Sunday was catch-up day, with all the errands crammed into one day.

Both days were okay in terms of food. A bit of perma-grazing instead of a proper meal on Sunday, but not too bad in perspective. No exercise, though, beyond basic PT. :(

I also didn't fit in meditation all weekend, and my habitcal shows my bedtime has gotten out of control again. I'm going to bed about an hour later than I need to. Need to attend to these habits if I want to build them. Aside from this really over-full weekend, I'm generally wrestling with the fact that I often end up with a choice of "meditate or go to bed" - I can hit one or the other, but not both. How to rearrange my life so that time is not quite so tight at the end of the day??

Now that I've identified the problem, I'm confident I can find a solution... but I'm still exploring right now.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi KCCC! Thanks for stopping by my thread! Yes the weather has been really nice, although we've had heavy rains over the past two days and flash flooding as a result.
Later this week and over the Easter weekend temperatures are supposed to be in the 80's here in our part of Virginia - wow!
A suggestion to free up some time at the end of your day...I tend to be an early riser (and can even do earlier if push comes to shove-even getting up 15 minutes earlier in the morning can make a big difference for me). I like to do as much as I can in the morning before leaving the house, whether it be household chores, school work, correspondence, exercise, etc. In my case, if I need more time to do the things I need to do, then I need to somehow make the time. If I put my mind to it, I can usually figure out a way to juggle things to make it work. I can't leave too much for the evenings because I tend to crash then - I'm a morning person overall I suppose.
Hope you get it all figured out - and you will!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi mimi! Thanks for the ideas. I am also a morning person, but it depends on when you start "morning" - right now I get up at 5:45, and I can't bear the thought of getting up earlier. (I drive to the gym, exercise and dress, then go on to work.)

However, I realized that when I pack up the night before, it takes me a while to choose what to wear. Part of that is that I need to do some clothes-shopping. Part of that is just that I am tired and indecisive in the evening. So... I am going to try to put together several outfits each weekend, so they're ready to pack up with minimal thinking during the week. That should save a bit of evening time, and may help.

I'm also realizing that I simply have several more things to fit in during the evening (like PT). So, it's not unreasonable that I'm having to look at the issue.

Monday...

Exercise - Yogalates and PT/strength
L - out with work group - Mexican. That's normally a weakness, but I did NOT eat chips before my meal! Instead, I replaced the rice on my plate with a handful of chips. (Other food - "lunch fajita" - essentially a very stuffed quesadilla with lettuce/tomato on the side.)
D - spanikopita, mango, salad
Wine

Tuesday
Exercise - walking on track, 35 minutes, basic PT
Br - banana, cheese, bread
L - cheese/fruit/bread
D (planned) - tortellini with pesto, asparagus (in season!), fruit salad

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Packing up the night before is a good idea, and putting together several outfits for the week is also a nice plan.

I'd be lost if I didn't prepare for the next day the night before.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

NoelFigart wrote:Packing up the night before is a good idea, and putting together several outfits for the week is also a nice plan.

I'd be lost if I didn't prepare for the next day the night before.
I already do pack the night before - to the point that I feel like I'm going on a trip every evening as I load up! Gym bag; work clothes on a hanger; computer bag - already in the car from the night before. Purse ready to go. Lunch made and put in fridge. In the morning, throw on gym clothes, pack up coffee (set up the night before, but I heat milk to add and pour into travel mugs), grab lunch/purse and go. I leave the house at 6:15... and since I work an hour from my house, I don't want to forget ANYTHING! :)

Hm...it might be helpful (at least to me) to go through the evening schedule too...

In the evening, I get home at 6:15. I walk in, unload (usually takes several trips), put on an apron over my work clothes and make dinner. Eat with the family. Clean kitchen and set up coffee, making "leftover lunches" as I do so. (Spouse helps here, and he also does laundry, and we talk. Child gets ready for bed). By the time dinner is cooked, we've eaten, the kitchen is clean and lunches packed, it's about 8:00. There's usually about an hour or a little less where I might watch a dvd with the family and knit, or perhaps read, before my child goes to bed at 9:00. (This is assuming no burning work project that I have to revisit.) Then I re-pack the gym bag, get together work clothes, put what I can in the car, do my PT exercises (new), and meditation (which I'm trying to fit in). I am trying to get to bed between 10-10:30, And I keep finding myself running late enough that I'm choosing between "hitting my mark" on either meditation OR bedtime.

I think I do spend a lot of time finding "what am I going to wear tomorrow" when I'm tired, so I could do that ahead on weekends. And maybe I could do my PT while the tv is on, prior to picking up my knitting. I don't want to cut into my dvd/knit/read time - it's slim enough, and to some extent is "family time" as well - but that may be necessary.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Got everything done last night, despite being on the road late due to an accident snarling traffic.

I did my PT as we were setting up for the dvd (it doesn't take that long, but if I don't remember until the very end of the day, it feels overwhelming). That helped. But I had a little extra time last night anyway, because I get to work at home today. Yay!

Will pack up for both Thursday and Friday today, to see if it helps tonight and tomorrow. It should. And I've asked the family for a little more help in the evenings. My child is old enough to do more chores than he is - though I sometimes think that making him do things is more trouble than doing them myself. But we'll work on it.

Dinner was as planned, minus focaccia because I didn't have time.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Wednesday

Exercise: PT/strength in the AM, about a 3-4 mile walk in the afternoon to pick up my car from the mechanic. Glorious!

Br - leftover Spanikopita, banana
L - sushi and salad from my favorite place
D - cabbage, chorizo and beans; focaccia; dried apricots

The cabbage was a new recipe - okay, but not a fave. I'm trying to find a way to get my family to eat cabbage, since it's one that stores well and is very good for us.

Th so far
Exercise: Pilates routine plus yoga, about 45 minutes
Br: oatmeal, craisins, nuts
L (planned): Dinner redux (cabbage dish, focaccia), with a banana and figs in place of the apricots.
D: TBD. Forgot to thaw what I had in mind.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 am

Dinner was 15-bean soup (pulled out of the freezer), focaccia and fruit. I love having home-made food in the freezer.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Friday was a Failure. Did fine until the evening, then broke out the Easter candy early.

Easter weekend was pretty over-the-top. Oh well. It's Monday now.

Br - 1/2 bagel w/cream cheese, juice
L - plate at my favorite deli... 1/2 veg, grilled chicken thigh, polenta
D (planned) - chicken, potato, salad

Exercise... none so far.

Feel as if I let a lot of things go this weekend, between holiday stuff and not feeling up to par. Allergy and pollen, plus.... TMI alert to anyone reading my thread... I am not liking menopause. My period is erratic, and all the symptoms seem amplified. I've noticed moodiness enough to make ME wonder what's wrong with me for being so unreasonable. Friday's failure was in part due to wanting chocolate/sugar. My weight shot up 5 pounds right before, overnight, which I think was due to water - nothing has changed regarding diet/exercise. It used to be that I experienced only very low-level symptoms, and since my periods were as regular as clockwork, could compensate easily. Now, I don't know quite when it's coming, and everything is SO more intense and unpredictable.

Oddly, the meditation helps. Once I accepted that I was just moody (instead of adding the "what's wrong with me" layer of trauma on top), it was easier to deal with. But I let meditation go this weekend too...

It's Monday. Back on track. Well, sort of; I'm home with a slightly-sick child. Which may be good for both of us, since I'm not feeling that great myself.

This too shall pass. And in the interim, it's okay for me not to go at top speed for a bit.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Back at work. Hubby is home with son. I'm still a little ill, but have to be in a training session... oh well. The time off helped a lot.

Have done well with No-S at home. How interesting that the N-day habits kick right in on Monday at this point, even when the circumstances from S-days are the same (used to be a much harder transition). Breakfast was 1/2 bagel with cream cheese and a glass of juice each morning; Tuesday was chicken and chard for dinner (can't remember lunch)... Wednesday had grilled cheese for lunch, Spaghetti for dinner. Today, back to oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch is Panera - black bean soup, salad, bread (the "You Pick Two" combo). Dinner will either be more spaghetti (I made a lot) or salmon burgers/cakes.

And I exercised today. :) Got in a little yesterday, too.

The down-time at home helped. I got some critical home-tasks done (like finishing up my taxes - I hate doing them, and always delay) and read a book for fun. Still hit by the pollen, but will survive.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Rain! It rained! Just enough to wash the pollen out of the air (we had record highs these last few days). I am so glad.

Son is back in school. :)

Life is good.

Friday
Exercise - strength class and PT

Br - 2 small slices focaccia, slice of cheese, dried apricota
L - Panera again - soup and salad and bread. A little much - I'm full.
D (planned) - salmon burgers. We had the leftover spaghetti yesterday, with salad/fruit and one small slice foccacia.

Oh! And I meditated last night. Officially, this was a Lenten habit and I don't have to continue... but I have decided that I would like to. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:37 pm

S-day. So far, not excessive.

I just looked at Noel's thread, where she posted a trend line of her weight that shows it slowly going down. She talked about how slow and steady was better than crash diets that would fail in the long run, and I agree with her.

There's just one problem for me. If I drew a similar trend line of my weight, it would be going up. :( Very slowly, to be sure, but unmistakably. A year ago, I was at 143 (which is a reasonable weight for me). When I last posted on my testamonial page, my weight tended to center around 148. The last few weeks, it's been 150.

I don't "blame" No-S - in fact, if anything, I think No-S deserves the credit for keeping the rise as slow as it's been (as well as for keeping me sane in terms of my relationship with food). No, the issues are lifestyle and age-related. My metabolism is continuing to slow with age (as is normal), and since last January I have been in a very sedentary job with a long commute, so my exercise levels have dropped. I still do work out at the gym on work-days, but conferences, travel, illness, and family schedules have intervened a lot lately. To top it off, I'm doing physical therapy for my neck/shoulders, which is mercifully effective, but also cuts into my exercise time. Even though I've kept the exercise habit going, my overall cardio (and thus calorie-burn) has dropped.

So... I need to "tweak" a bit. A bit of a bummer - at least, until I consider where I'd be without No-S. I'm contemplating changes without panic, without desperation, on a firm foundation of good habit that I know will sustain the new habits I need to build now. A bit of a challenge, perhaps, but not a catastrophe.

First, I need to recommit to "strict" No-S. I do tend to relax and cut corners over time, and periodically need to tighten up. (Yes, it would have fit on my plate. But it wasn't there when I started, so I really need to call it seconds. Etc.)

Second, I need to make sure my S-days are reasonable. This would have been a hardship early on (and perhaps a bit dangerous), but at this point, the idea doesn't bother me. I have learned that I feel better AND enjoy my treats more if I build them around my usual 3-meal pattern. Choosing 1-2 really yummy things just feels much better than perma-snacking all day! I won't count any S-day as a failure, and will be super careful about over-structuring them, but I can work toward "good" S-days....because I actually LIKE them better now.

Third... activity. This will be more challenging, but if I set "increasing activity" as an intention, opportunities will arise. It's amazing how, once you "tune in" to something, solutions start to appear! So for now, I set is as a general goal, and will revisit it to make it more specific.

And already I see "things that will support me." This time of year is great for food-I-like-that-is-naturally-low-cal, and for outside activities.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Amazing how these lifestyle things can make a difference, yes.

Certainly you've been doing No-S long enough that tightening up S-days is no longer going to screw you up. (Though I agree that it's a bad idea early on).

I hope that things calm down so you can get your activity level where you want it. That's tough.

I found out something today. Just screwing around shooting hoops is kinda fun and got me all sweaty even though I wasn't "going for the burn". Though the real reason I was doing it was to play with the kids. Can you play with your son more, especially now that the weather is getting nice.
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Noel, I agree that "play" is a good strategy. Or anything where I can meet multiple goals, like relationship-building, etc. And this is a good time of year to look for strategies. Mostly, if I just get it on the radar, it helps. I got in a good walk on Saturday, but it took a bit more planning than it used to. (Childcare issues due to spouse's schedule - I took son and friend to a park where I could walk and keep them in view while they played.)

Saturday and Sunday wasn't tightly limited - mostly just focusing on maintaining meal structure, which helps tremendously.

Monday
Br - bread, cheese, dried figs (eaten in the car, on the way to early meeting)
L - "Rice and tofu bowl" - restaurant. One plate, lots of veg. Not bad.
D - TBD. Eating out again, so would like to choose wisely.
No exercise. Sigh. At a conference for today, and had to leave early and will get back late.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Yesterday ended up being a bit of a failure. I was going to the conference exhibit before heading home, to let traffic clear a bit. Saw a major dessert put out outside, and remembered this was a reception. Great, I thought, I'll eat here and save time on the road. So I took a couple of canapes from servers as I entered, carefully noting so I could virtual plate, and looked about for the rest of the meal.

There wasn't one. I'd expected an array of veggies/fruits/coldcuts, which are kind of standard, but all there were were the canapes.

So when I left, I stopped by Subway and got half a ham sub. Not thrilling, even with the ton of veggies I put on it. But okay.

However, because I still felt that I'd failed - though without intending to - I had a handful of nuts as I was packing today's food. I realized what I was doing and stopped, but really, that was "non-vanilla."

At least it was "contained failure."

Minor vent: I get really worn out and stressed when I go to conferences in our local metropolitan area. The policy of my state is that employees cannot stay in hotels if a conference is 30 miles from their workplace. Said Metropolitan area is 30 miles from my workplace, but 80 miles from my house!! Plus, traffic going in/out in the morning/afternoon is abysmal. I ended up leaving at 6:30 for a 9:00 start time, and while I got to the opening session before it started, I was late enough that there were no seats. Sigh. At least this was only one day - multi-day conferences are truly rough.

But, with that schedule, I didn't exercise, and didn't meditate. (The meditation could have happened... I chose to knit and listen to my audiobook instead.)

Tuesday

Exercise - Strength PT plus walking
Br - oatmeal with nuts/craisins
Lunch (packed) - spaghetti, apple, dried apricots
D - Probably Honey Dijon Shrimp, though I'll have to thaw everything when I get home (but shrimp doesn't take long, and I do have frozen cooked rice). Or possibly rotisserie chicken, since I have GOT to get by the grocery store!

It is nice to be back on normal routine.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:50 am

Dinner last night was "Tower of Tortilla" and salad and canteloupe. Decided on the way home that I was in the mood for that. Yum! And hubby made the grocery store run for me (which I am grateful for - I hate going at the end of a day when I'm tired, and we were out of milk so really had to).

Br - bagel, juice
L - TBD. Either leftovers or my favorite place
D - Potluck meeting. I'm taking spaghetti with clam sauce

Exercise will be PT - I have an appointment, and they tend to work me - and maybe a walk.

As a tangent... I've been working on knitting a shawl, and really enjoying it - the combination of yarn and pattern is lovely. Recently I found an error that I thought I could overlook... but it caused problems down the road. Eventually, I ripped out about six inches and re-did it. (Since I was at the wide part of a triangle shawl, that was not an insignificant amount.) The funny thing is, that I didn't mind. I realized that I had two choices - rip out, or continue to fudge - and either one was okay as long as I could be happy with it. I chose to re-knit, and keeping the fact that it was my choice in mind made it okay. Just fine, even - I was aware of the calm enjoyment I took in it, and equally aware that being able to accept without grumbling is a gift... one that I don't always have, so appreciated.

"Choose what will make you happy, then be happy with what you chose." Don't know where I picked that phrase up, but it resonates with me more and more. I think the second part is critical.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm

KCCC wrote:

"Choose what will make you happy, then be happy with what you chose." Don't know where I picked that phrase up, but it resonates with me more and more. I think the second part is critical.
I really like this quote KCCC. I often choose what I THINK will make me happy and then end of being unhappy afterwards. Yes, that second part is critical and a great thing to remind myself of when facing a choice in the future...thanks my friend!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Mimi, that's something I've struggled with for much of my life. Both my husband and I are "over-optimizers" by nature - we always try for the "best" instead of "good enough." Which means we second-guess ourselves, and suffer buyer's remorse a good bit, etc.

However, once we recognized this tendency, we have both worked toward changing that pattern, accepting that "good enough" IS good enough, and letting go of past decisions. We try to accept that we made the best decision we could with the time/knowledge/resources we had at the time... and if we later want to make changes, we can without beating ourselves up for the first decision. I think that it is a good direction... you can't change the past, after all. And some stuff just doesn't matter that much, in the grand scheme of things. Certainly that attitude lowers stress!

Which is one of the many reasons I love No-S. It helps teach/reinforce the idea of moderation, which is good for me on multiple levels.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Got in a 4 mile walk yesterday (taking my car to the garage - glad it's that close).

Today
Exercise - PT plus walk (shorter - 30 min)
L - leftover tower of tortilla, canteloupe, dried apricots
D (planned) - leftover spaghetti with clam sauce, pineapple, salad.

Doing well on meditation and "more activity". Not so good on "comically strict" vanilla No-S. Yesterday would have been failure by those standards (small snitch as I packed my lunch, fuzzy virtual-plating at potluck), but stuff I'd let slide normally. So, need to crack down on that. I'm going to start really being super-strict on Monday, only because I don't have the oomph right now. Right now, it's just "awareness".

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Yesterday was as planned, plus an extra coffee and a glass of wine.

Today...

Exercise - PT and "14 minutes of anything" (Had an early meeting, but got to the gym early enough to get in 30 minutes total.)

Br - oatmeal, craisins, nuts - eaten in the parking lot. :(
L - leftovers from last night, exactly
Dinner (planned) - either make-your-own-pizza or Mac-n-cheese, whichever the kids (mine and guest) want. Plus kiwi. Plus cinnamon apples.

I like having something No-S-compliant that FEELS like a treat on Friday night.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Friday was a face-down failure - a real blowout on multiple levels.

I ate seconds. Then I had some leftover Easter candy.
I didn't meditate. OR do my evening physical therapy routine.
I stayed up until 3:30 AM reading, even though I knew I'd be totally trashed the next day. (I was.)
And I didn't care. So there. Rebel that I am. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

Well, I did care the next day, but by then it was done. And I really, really enjoyed my book, which has been calling to me from my nightstand for WEEKS, and I've been too busy to get to it. So I just dealt with being a bit tired and dis-organized on Saturday. My S-days were... well, S-days. Not the greatest, not the worst.

Didn't exercise on Saturday, but did get my PT in. By Sunday, I got back on track with meditation/bedtime/exercise. And I seem to be recovered by now. Monday was a good N-day on all counts.

Stress WILL find an outlet, even if not the most productive. It's what you do on a regular basis that counts. (And this is telling me that I need a little more relaxation or downtime, or something, in my life.)

Mark it and move on.
Learn and let go.
I'm back now.
:)

Tuesday

Exercise- PT strength day
B - oatmeal, craisins, nuts. Extra coffee
L - leftover pasta, banana, strawberries
D (planned) - honey dijon shrimp, carrots, fruit

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm

The weather turned cold, so I made black bean soup instead of honey dijon shrimp. One cup, with chips and salsa and fruit on the side.

Today (Wed)
Br - bagel w/cream cheese
L - Make-your-own-burrito place with friend. Mine is a "mini" with chicken, black beans, and so many veggies it's hard to close, plus some chips (I ask for a half-order instead of the full one that comes with the burrito)
D - bbq chicken (in the crock pot now), focaccia, asparagus, fruit

No exercise yet. We'll see.

ETA: Got in 15 minutes of TTapp Basic Plus. That counts.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Exercise - walk and PT stretches

B - oatmeal, craisins, nuts
L (planned) - chicken, peas and carrots, banana, focaccia
D (planned) - honey-dijon shrimp, veg, fruit

Since Monday, I have been following what I call "strict" No-S, which means NO room for fuzzing the boundaries. Twice while preppring dinner I have put something in my mouth automatically, and then realized and spat it out in the trash... the "automaticity" of the gesture is informative.

I'm also getting in a bit more walking. The weather is lovely for it.

Weight has dropped from it's last high, but I have a way to go to lose the gradual gain I've experienced. Took a year to put on, so I'll give it time.

More activity. Strict No-S. Three-meal structure on S-days. Those are the current priorities. (Plus meditation and sleep. And that's ENOUGH.)

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Just wondering.. do you virtual plate with your dinner and fruit salads?

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:40 am

babyprrr wrote:Just wondering.. do you virtual plate with your dinner and fruit salads?
Usually not, unless it's a "messy" one with some juice. Most of my fruit is fresh-cut, so I just put it on the plate. If I use canned fruit, or something really juicy, I might put it in a little bowl (I have some that measure exactly half a cup) and then leave room on my plate.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 am

Today turned out quite differently from "as planned." We took our admins out to lunch, so there went my lunch plans. (Went to Applebee's, which was fine - they have a good "light" menu so I could order a reasonable meal. Steak, broccoli and squash, potatoes, and guaranteed under 530 calories, instead of the ridiculous amounts most restaurant meals are.)

But that left my lovely lunch, and I won't need it tomorrow. So, I turned it into supper. The chicken became chicken quesadillas. My son got the peas and carrots, and I fixed chard for me and hubby (son hates chard). Add some fruit, and we're done. It was great.

Someday, I will make that Honey-Dijon Shrimp, lol! At least all the ingredients are frozen, so it can wait until another day.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Friday was "off" - at a conference, but one I chose. I still made it a good N day, completing my first week of "Strict Vanilla" successfully.

Saturday looked more like an N-day, except I was eating in restaurants and had slightly larger portions than I might have otherwise. Still reasonable choices.

Sunday... ah, Sunday. I got into this mindset of "I HAVE to have a treat" and ate junk I really didn't care about, increasing as the end of the day approached. This is something to watch. I think I've built very good N-day habits, but at the same time I've built some very bad S-day habits. That isn't the intention of S-days.

The trick is going to be to make S-days more reasonable without dropping into "diet-head" and triggering all the deprivation reactions.

Monday... dropping easily back into N-day mode...

Exercise - stretches and walking
L - pasta, peaches, dried apricots
D (planned) - salmon. Sides TBD - going to the grocery tonight.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Monday dinner: salmon, couscous, salad, kiwi, peas'n'carrots.

Tu

Stretches and a walk for exercise. I'm doing the pedometer, and will give an end-of-day total (which I expect to be depressing, even with the walk).

Br: oatmeal, craisins, nuts
L (planned) - more pasta, apricots, salad
D (planned) - couscous with peas'n'carrots and chicken; kiwi; applesauce

Working late tonight, so packed two meals.

ETA: Add a glass of wine. Today's pedometer was 7075 as of 9:30 PM... might get a bit more, but not much. Honestly better than expected. A bit more than a third of that was my walk, though.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Hit meditation and bedtime goals last night. (Have been missing on bedtime of late)

Exercise: New class, which was a good workout but showed me that my balance needs work! I almost got frustrated with some of the exercises (like moving from tree pose to a "curtsy squat"), then reminded myself that "you have to live with the discomfort of being a beginner if you want to get better."

Br - oatmeal, yogurt, banana
L - pasta, carrot, peaches
D - tbd, but will include asparagus!!

A few tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt in my oatmeal made it really creamy. I substituted it for the nuts, and the banana for the craisins, partly to mix it up and partly these are two places where I can easily sub in less calorie-dense foods without "costing" me in terms of satisfaction. (I've gotten into a "rut" lately, so breaking it is actually a plus.)

I'm looking at my "everyday choices" to make slight, painless improvements like this. Fresh fruit is generally preferable over dried - just need to keep it on hand!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Yesterday's pedometer was 3400-ish... and, sad to say, that's a far more normal day. Alas.

Yesterday's dinner was chicken and rice soup, asparagus, and bread.

Today
Br - oatmeal, banana, yogurt
L - chicken and rice soup, bread, carrot stick, fruit cup
D- TBD. Could be more soup, with extra sides, or could be sausages.

Exercise this morning - stretches and a walk. My pedometer reading will be better today!

ETA: Dinner was more soup, with some soy sauce thrown in to make it vaguely Chinese, plus freezer eggrolls left over from a party, carrot sticks, and fruit. It was also a failure because I'd invited neighbors over for dessert, and felt churlish not "breaking bread" (okay, cookies) with them. I ate one cookie and stopped... but it was a failure, all the same. I chose.

On the plus side, I broke 11300 on the pedometer. Woo-hoo! Won't be easy to replicate - yesterday, alas, was more typical than today - but felt great.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat May 01, 2010 2:36 am

Friday

PT-strength and walking for exercise - a bit shorter than normal b/c of an early meeting.

I packed a nice breakfast and lunch... and FORGOT it at home. Dang.

Br - applesauce cup. I keep them in my desk drawer, and it's all I had.
L - Quizno's - small honey-bourbon chicken and baked chips. (I know baked chips are MORE processed than regular ones, but I confess I actually like them. Perverse, but true.)
D - pasta with clam sauce, cooked carrots (trying to use them up), fruit cup (a nice mix of strawberries, mango, and canned pineapple), and a slice of homemade bread with butter. Yum!

Son is having a sleep-over, and I gave our guest (who is a regular here) the choice of going to a favorite all-you-can-eat pizza buffet OR having my pasta with clam sauce (which I know is also a fave). I was surprised that he chose my pasta over the pizza... but it made sticking to No-S a lot easier tonight! (Plus it's flattering, even from a nine-year-old.)

Ped reading 7865.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 04, 2010 1:53 am

Lost track on weekend. Busy and a bit much, but not terrible. Exercise took the biggest hit - that and bedtime.

Back on track today. :) But it's too late for me to list everything.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 05, 2010 2:50 am

Monday...
Exercise was minimal... barely enough to count. Did better today - Pilates, walking. Totaled 8000 on the pedometer.

Br - oatmeal, yogurt, banana
L - Soup, crackers, veggies and dried figs
D - Cookout. I had a veggieburger, some green salad, and some pasta salad.

Right now, I'm tanking on meditation and sleep... doing what I can do.

So I'll get OFF the computer and go to bed.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Exercise... a bit of yoga/pilates class. Not a lot, because I was late to class.

Br - oatmeal, yogurt, dried fruit
L - Yet another cookout. Sigh. They had salmon at this one, so I had salmon and some coleslaw, and then ate the salad I'd brought just-in-case.
D - Pasta and clam sauce, yet again. Same little guest. Good thing we all like it.

Too busy....

ETA: Ped was 4500-ish. Not a lot. Oh well.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Exercise - PT/strength, walking.

Br - oatmeal, nuts, craisins. Out of fresh fruit
L (planned) - bread, cheese, fruit cup, salad
D (planned) - salmon, veg... maybe potatoes

I'm giving up on meditation for the next three weeks. If I can do it, bonus... but right now, feeling like a failure because I can't fit it in is adding to stress.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 07, 2010 12:55 am

Dinner was salmon, potatoes, veg, and cinnamon apples....

Followed by FAILURE. A serving of chocolate.

Here's the issue: we are hosting a child from France for the next 3 weeks; he's part of a group that came here to study. He brought a lot of chocolate/candy as gifts, and of course is eager for us to try different ones - and he hopes that we like them. (He is a VERY nice child.) So tonight, after dinner, he asked if we would like to try the chocolate, which we had not yet opened.

I had a serving (we opened one large bar, of which we ate 2/3 split 4 ways). And then I stopped.

I am not sure how to handle this situation. There are a lot of different kinds of candy, which of course I want to sample. I don't intend to eat mass quantities, but am thinking of allowing myself ONE serving a night in order to participate with my family.

BUT...I've halted the previous upward climb I was having, and have started to drop some of what I'd gained. Still, I know I have to be a bit watchful - with my current level of activity, it's easy for me to eat enough to gain weight. So, I'm considering...

However, I don't regret tonight. European chocolate is VERY good, and I very much enjoyed what I had. I don't feel I ate excessively, or allowed it to send me into a tailspin.

I don't want to gorge on it during the weekend because I feel deprived all week, either. Hm.