My One Year Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

My One Year Check-In

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 pm

I've decided to stick to vanilla No-S for a full year, along with a daily check-in. Due to the fact that I've been on and off this plan since last August and have yet to find anything more enjoyable and sustainable, I know it is worth the investment. I KNOW No-S is the only plan I can stick to for the long-term. I also have decided to stop being obsessed with the scale. I'm going to eat healthily, I'm going to exercise, and by this time next year, I'm GOING to weigh significantly less!

Day 1 - SUCCESS!

- Quaker oatmeal squares
- 2% milk
- Strawberries
- Coffee with 2% milk and a teaspoon of sugar

- Chicken caesar salad

- Peppersteak, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes
- White rice

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:46 am

Today was a little tough, but not too bad. I had some coffee with milk at work to keep myself from caving, but other than that I did not have much trouble today. I think my mind is finally in the right place, so its making the physical component of No-S much easier. Not that easy though, I'm already thinking about what to eat on my coming S-days! :)

Day 2 - SUCCESS!

- Whole wheat english muffin spread with peanut butter
- Strawberries
- Coffee w/ 2% milk and a teaspoon of sugar

- Chicken and cheese quesadilla w/ salsa
- Side salad w/ olive oil and balsamic vinegar

- Starbucks grande nonfat latte

- Smoothie made with 2% milk, banana, peanut butter, and ice
- Kashi granola bar

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 am

Wow, a year-long resolution! Congratulations for having the guts to make it in the middle of August!

I wish you well and hope you continue the daily check in for a long time!

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:04 am

Day 3 - FAILURE!

- Quakeroatmeal squares
- 2% milk
- White peach
- Coffee w/ 2% milk and teaspoon of sugar

- Mcdonalds iced coffee

- Fresh fruit smoothie
- Soft pretzel w/ salt

- Meatball sandwich w/ provolone cheese
- Side salad w/ olive oil and balsamic vinegar

EDIT: I caved and had an icecream sandwich. Darn. Oh well! I'm moving on! Tomorrow is a new day! I will not let this hinder my progress the way it has in the past.
Last edited by xJocelynx87 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:19 am

Day 4 - FAILURE!

It wasn't too bad though...just a few slips here and there.
I am keeping myself accountable though and keeping this check-in going.
Onward!

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:05 pm

Day 5 - FAILURE!

I know WHY it was a failure though....I did not have a substantial breakfast. I know that a filling, enjoyable breakfast is KEY for me in order to have a succcessful N-day. That usually consists of cereal, milk, fruit, and coffee. It keeps me fueled throughout the morning and less likely to snack before lunch.

Aw man, tomorrow is an S-day, and I know I would be enjoying them so much more if I had an all green week! Oh well, 2/5 green days is a start! I'm aiming for progress, not perfection. I know I'll get there next week, as long as I eat substantial meals.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:02 am

The stress of beginning the fall semester is over, and I'm beginning to find routine again. Time to bring No-S back into my life. Tomorrow....Day 1!