Iamhappy's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joy&balance

Iamhappy's Check-In

Post by joy&balance » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS

Made it through day 1 with little problems. Realized how much getting on the scale has become a mindless habit with me. Putting the thing out in the garage today so it's not easy to slip into habit again.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Iamhappy...

Welcome to No-S and welcome to the check-in forum. I'm almost finished with Week 9 so I'm no expert, but I'm more & more convinced this is a brilliant plan. The first few weeks are the hardest in many ways....hang in there & you'll do fine...

Welcome again,
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm on Day 18, and the first four days were the hardest! It gets easier. If you look at old blogs, it looks to me like the key is to make absolutely, positively sure that you have no sweets, no seconds, and no snacks on N days. Your body adjusts quickly to that, especially if you give yourself unconditional permission to eat on the weekends. It looks like one pair of pants now fit that didn't three weeks ago, and I ate so much on Saturday that I had to lie down and sleep for a few hours!

Kathleen

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Thanks to you both for your kind words and encouragement! I appreciate it.

Day 2 went fine. almost had a couple of "mindless" snacking nibbles, but stopped myself. didn't even want what i was going to eat. Scale is now in the garage for a month! 8)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Welcome and good luck Iamhappy :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS
Day 4: SUCCESS
Day 5: SUCCESS

did well over the weekend.

Why am I so tempted to weigh myself? Is it just a habit? curiosity? I'm going to wait, but man the urge is strong.

jennyp

Post by jennyp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:24 pm

I hear ya about the scale! I'm sticking mine out in the garage tonight as well!!! We'll check back in in a month :)

Great job!!!! Its nice to see all those succeses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenny

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Day 6: SUCCESS

Thanks for the words of encouragement, JennyP. It's really weird, but I am having more trouble avoiding the scale than I am avoiding snacking. Good thing it's out in the garage, or I likely would have succumbed. I am committed to waiting until I've been on this a month though. I'm also taking measurements each month, so I won't totally be ruled by the scale.

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Day 7 : SUCCESS

Did really well in Sept. Feeling good!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:12 pm

You're doing great!!! These first few weeks are the hardest!

Congrats on doing really well!!!

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:26 am

Days 8-10: SUCCESS
Days 12-13: SUCCESS

Doing well on no-S days. Yesterday (S-Day) I ate pretty well and just had one bowl of ice cream. Today I had a fair amount of junk food, but I'm just going to take it in stride because I know I can handle the next few days eating clean!

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:26 am

Oh, and thanks so much for the encouragement everyone!! :D

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Have been very successful thus far. Only slip was Friday night - drank too much and snacked. Thus, I am implementing the glass ceiling to deal with this. I know I would have made better choices sober....

Today has been three weeks, so I went ahead and weighed myself this morning. I weigh about what I weighed when I started (maybe just a small tad less), so I feel good about that. Now that my snacking is under control, I'm going to focus a bit more on what I am eating at my meals during the week and try to get them healthier. Although I am loving the freedom this plan provides, I do want to lose about 15 pounds. So I want to do this in a way that facilitates that.

So, I am going to continue on with No-S. Going to weigh myself a reasonable once per week. Going to be more conscious of my meals on No-S days. Will continue exercising. Ideally, I would love to lose about 2 pounds per month, but if it's less, well okay.