How do you use the scale?

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:32 am

Reinhard says to focus on behavior, not results. I initially resolved not to weigh myself until Christmas, but then I saw a blog in which a woman waited about three months until she weighed herself on Christmas, she then had several failure days, and she stopped blogging. On my Intuitive Eating diet, I initially resolved against weighing myself at all, and my weight went up 10 pounds. It's comforting to look at the scale at least occasionally. At the moment, I'm toying with the idea of weighing myself only when I've had five consecutive N days. That would provide motivation but not be a distraction like a daily weigh-in would be.

Kathleen

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 pm

I use my clothes as a guide and only step on the scale once in a while - no definitive frequency. To me, the number doesn't much matter if I feel good in my clothes.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:39 pm

I never weigh myself these days. I know about what I weigh when I can fit into certain clothes. And the numbers always trip me up so I've chosen not to weigh at all. I'm much better off not seeing them. You've certainly lost weight already...but I guess you are the only one who will know if the scale will help you or not. I always want to see lower numbers faster & it discourages me every time...so I'm a no-weigher....I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:19 pm

erratic scientific weigher ... mostly i weigh when i am "in the mood" :D

except for when i post monthly results for my blog, truth be told i am very glad i have reached maintenance, cause i will just post monthly results for month 8, month 10 and then just yearly, i don't really like the whole "weighing" in thing and reporting it, but I was trying to create a comprehensive record of my No S journey ... anyway ... only two more weigh-ins for the greater good this year ... hahahahhahah ...

i have found i do best with the scale when i do NO WEIGHING or scientific weighing ... once a week etc, or once a month doesn't seem to work that well cause the shifts are not necessarily parrallel week to week and month to month. No weighing is INCREDIBLY FREEING and scientific weighing gets you in the realm of objectivity, both can be great ways for loosening the grip of the wicked scale monster!

I also feel strongly that JUST WEIGHING is not the whole truth, best to keep some measurements (just your hips and abdomen is plenty), gives you a more accuarate picture and of course if you have some way to measure your body fat that is really good because your body composition is more relevant to your metabolism and health than just your weight ...

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey