oolala53

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Re: oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:05 am

I have a rental- I live in one side of a duplex- here in San Diego and a duplex in Utah. But what I was interested in was something more ambitious: an apartment building. It's a whole other ballgame. You get your dough on those by being the person to find and broker a deal using investor money. I would want to do only a deal or two for the express purpose to make the money I would then spend on long-term care insurance. That's all I want! but I don't want to have to keep working to get that money, and it's a little too much on my budget now, since I got into my career late. Of course, I am kicking myself for not being brave enough to buy it before I turned 60 (six and a half years ago).

Tripped the overeating wire last week for various reasons and it took a few days to right myself. Appetite is still wonky. I opted to try to go for a longer overnight fast last night because of how my meal timing turned out, but I was miserable by 9 p.m. in a way I haven't been for years. Ate some food. So, red day, though I didn't go crazy.

I will opt today to eat some dinner even though I'm not hungry before I go to my next-to-the last acting class of this series. I haven't been doing what I should be doing between classes, but what's new? Geesh. I have so much time but not much productivity, though I am trying NOT to berate myself over it, just observe.

I am going to call Kaiser and get authorization for some therapy, though they support only relativelly short term work. Given how messed up someof my friendships are right now, I need the outlet.
Count plates, not calories. 10 years "during"
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Back in the groove but I spend very little time eating with other people, so not much reason to eat beyond reason.

I have gotten narrow in my eating in a way that I started No S saying I never wanted to have to do, but I just find that it makes more sense for my health to just eat what I think of as higher quality food as much of the time as possible, which means almost always when I'm at home where I'm in the driver's seat. This means some of the things I used to stubbornly refuse to think I couldn't eat in the right amounts are hardly ever on my plate now. I admit that I feel a little sad about that at times, especially since they are the absolute backbone of nearly every restaurant in America. I don't say never, either, but right now, I'm liking things the way they are. I don't like that there is a bit of moral righteousness in it, but I don't know how to get rid of that now, so I'll just bide my time.

I've stopped tracking my food, too. Two months was enough, I think. I have a pretty good sense of what I need to get my protein in, which is a rather low amount by most diet standards, but they are not all looking at extending healthspan, it seems to me. As of now, it's worth the tradeoff. BTW, having the protein limit and the other restrictions sometimes made it hard to actually get to even the calories that I supposedly need to maintain. I think I've said that before but will not look to find it now.

I have also some days that because of supreme lack of hunger, still not without DESIRE for more food, I end up eating only two meals, definitely under maintenance. But to eat that last meal would be forcing it, and I sometimes do that, too.

(I visited a friend I hadn't seen in months last Sunday. I had given him, at his request, one of my copies of No S years ago. He didn't ask much more after that. I knew from various conversations that he was still interested in losing weight, but had not really tried No S. He was pretty chunky. He was a vegan. I never asked him what he thought he was overeating, but I'm guessing it was bread and sweets, and rather compulsively, not just big meals. Anyway, not sure where he got the idea, but he limits himself to two meals a day, the first around 10:30 and the second usually done by 5. (Like me, he doesn't have much of a night eating-out social life.) It sounds like because of No S, he doesn't snack and eats about a plate or bowl of food at each meal. He says he eats what he wants. Well, he doesn't want any animal food, so that limits things there. He's lost 43 lbs. Still got a tummy, but I noticed the loss right away. This is his new and likely permanent pattern. I told him not to be surprised at some point that it might seem hard, that he might get a lot of urge to overeat or start snacking, seemingly innocently, as the body tries to get that fat back. If he understands what it is, it might help him to decide to put up with the urges and ride the waves. But I think his eating schedule does allow him to go int and out of ketosis, which has at least temporary appetite suppression. I continue to be intrigued by that but even after a month last year of waiting until 10:30 am to have anything, I still dreaded it every day. I am waiting until 8:30 these days, and I still don't like it! Especially since I wake up at 4 or 5. But there are brain-healthy reasons to do it, so onwards I go.

Thus, without exactly intending it, no surprise, it looks like I've lost four pounds since the beginning of 2020. I say looks like it because I usually weigh for a week and then average but decided to take a look today, and that's where it is. I suspected as much because some pants are fitting differently, too. I will be going for my yearly body fat assessment this month. They don't actually need your weight to determine that, but it just gives some numbers to work with. I've decided to throw a little more money into measuring and take a VO2 and calorie usage test, too. I usually do this kind of thing after I do my spring rejuvenation program, but I think that isn't as realistic as doing it before that. I am hoping this will give me some oomph to make exercise more consistent. Am I really still saying that? Year after year goes by and I don't make it happen.

The annoying thing about this is that I have also been spending way more time thinking about it and writing about it online (on Spark) than I really want to be. When will this focus be over? Will I ever live where I hardly think about all this for days at a time and get on with other stuff? Still nothing else is as compelling. Yet our country, nay, most of the world, is in such a grip of compulsive overeating that it does seem to be a legitimate area for attention. Jane Brody reported that it's estimated that within only then years, HALF of the population will be obese. Not just overweight, obese. And nearly one in four will be severely obese. Twenty-five percent! Good Lord. While we still hold out that being at the low end of the BMI scale should be the ideal.

Off for my glorious coffee.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 am

Such a different world since my last post.

I went to my last party for awhile for St. Patrick's day last Saturday. My friend has one nearly every year. It was a great send off to social life for awhile, though people were being risky, IMHO. It was the first year I left without feeling stuffed. Skipping the corned beef and desserts sure made a difference. I'm not a purist, so I had plenty of potatoes and other veggies that had been cooked with animals. Tasted like my parents' cooking!

I am actually quite inspired to eat even better during this time. I read in high school and taught a few times The Diary of Anne Frank. And last Sunday, I re-watched the film The Pianist about the Polish concert pianist who managed to survive the Jewish ghetto in Poland during WWII. Reinhard said in the book that early humans had to endure hunger that makes our complaints seem like a joke. The diary and movie put things in perspective, too, though it's a lot more obvious to hear and see the enemy and bombs and not have access to much food. If the country is as crippled as some say we could be, real food shortages may actually become serious. I was a bit impressed by how much junk food was left on the shelves. People are going for the staples. That's how you know no one is starving. I think 72 hours fasting and no other food available would be my limit before I went for the candy and Poptarts. A client of mine used to misquote someone, saying every man is nine meals from revolution. (It's actually anarchy, but close.) But I don't have anything like that in the house now. I sometimes look up in my cabinets as if some will appear. The body still wants them.

Fat people would definitely have an advantage in a true food shortage. I remember once reading a comment on the death camps, that fat people got skinny and skinny ones died from the lack of food. I remember another report that a woman in hiding for a fair amount of the war, with very little food, never got really skinny. She has such an efficient metabolism. It probably saved her from a lot worse problems. Maybe this will all get worse and the U.S. with 66% of people overweight at least, will prevail!

I did my weeklong weighing, then averaging this week and I had lost 3 lbs, not 4, since the beginning of the year. Fine by me. Just glad to be back to sane eating. I weigh a few lbs. more than I did two years ago. I can live with that, too.

I'm caving to the IF thing and going officially for 16:8 window, though some days this week was even shorter. It's no party, I know there are people who keep saying it's the easiest diet they've ever done. What are they talking about! I don't like not being able to have my doctored coffee early, especially when it's cold, and I like being able to eat later in the day, too. But it's doable, and I want that ketone action! Not looking for weight loss, though.I may at some point break down and get some keto strips or sugar testing or something to see if anything along those lines is happening.

I'm repeating for anyone who hasn't read all my thousands of posts that I went back to crazy eating some of the other times I tried this or other restricted eating. I say it was because so many IF-ers say you can eat anything in your window. SOME people can. I I never got that "appetite correction." I don't care how short my window is, I do not believe that a whole package of Cheezits or Cheetos is a good idea, and certainly not the cookie dough or frosting I went back to. And less than a lot never felt easy. So here I sit with my mostly whole grains/starches, mostly plant foods, some seafood, great fats, beans. LOVE them! But the only store that sells my favorite, rye berries, has been out since before the crisis. I can deal.

But in between, starting today, I'm on my spring 5-day regime. Immune system, baby! And no diversion from possible eating out/social eating. Convenient too, that it means I am using up my store of food even more slowly, which might be significant, though I guess food production is not getting curtailed. Though we might run into manpower issues on that front.

Going for my testing after this quarantine is over. I'd like to have my eating normal for awhile beforehand, so this should work.

WHAt a privilege to be blathering on about food.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 am

I don't want to get maudlin, as I'm sure everyone will have some kind of story when this is over, but a COVID-19 death has affected my extended family-by-marriage. I am amazed because at that point, CA had lost only 19 people to it. How can I have a connection when the odds at this point are so against it? He was only 53, married very late, with three young children. RIP and God help his wife, my sister's second cousin-in-law.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Very sad to hear about this, Oolala. Shocked and surreal, you must feel.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0 (struggling but not sure why)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm

TX, auto. It was a little weird, but has been overshadowed by ensuing events for so many. And in the grand scheme of things. is not that different from millions of other deaths that happen every day but which we aren't willing to read headlines of every day. Oh, I'll get off that soapbox before I get too comfortable.

Not that many people are reading me these days but just to say, I hope the following rant offends no one. I don't know where else to put it. I guess i could just make a Word doc and keep it between me and myself.

Because of this continuing issue with appetite, I've been looking at some other sites, ones where people claim they feel in tune with their needs for their weight. I can't tell if one of them is helping me or not, though. People on it keep talking about how easy it's been, but I don't find the tactics easy at all. (Rather not go into details.) It's a huge site with lots of testimonials. It finally dawned on me that despite the successes there, and all the excitement around them, that nobody keeps track of how many people try and give up sooner or later. I'm betting it has a big failure rate as well, but that's not going to get posted. And there is no questioning the wisdom, which I guess is fair. I could go on a big site devoted to any really popular plans and see the same thing. t's just another way to manage and decrease intake, although a better one than many, I think. They like to pooh pooh calories, and believe me, I have read plenty info on the cracks in the CICO wall, but intake counts! It is definitely not everything but it's something. And of course, practically no one there knows what calories they are actually eating, but I can tell you, from what they describe, I would bet most successful people there are eating around two-thirds to half of what they were eating over the course of a month when they were overweight/obese. They just seem to be able to do it without some of the drawbacks of just aiming at the calorie count. It irks the heck out of me that they don't think of themselves as restricting calories. Sure, they aren't setting calorie limits that they stick to, but if you're eating way less than you used to, no matter what your reason- you just aren't that hungry could be one-, you're restricting calories. At least in my book. Most are living on far fewer calories than they used to. I know it's not only restriction (eating less) that leads to the loss. though there is so much conflicting information on results from different systems. We all cherry pick our evidence! I will say I am very glad for many of the people there because they were really suffering and now don't feel they are, just as the adherents of many other systems feel they have found their way.

So, what's the real problem? It's that it has me feeling I am missing the boat, and not meeting a standard I ought to be able to. Oh, these standards! This constant sense that I'm supposed to be a better person! How does it get reconciled with being enough, right now? It's a paradox, I guess. I mean, I'm not sitting in misery for hours at a time, but I do feel I often have to manage my thoughts even more than my eating.

And on that note, I will go do something to make me a better person.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 16, 2020 12:11 pm

What would we think about if we didn't think about food and how would we behave if we were secure in ourselves?

Profound questions to ponder🤔

Hope you are well

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:24 am

The secure in ourselves one is the real key. I am aware of a deep down sense of a lack of safety and have been for awhile. It's not on the surface, but it bubbles up in all kinds of ways, especially the ease in which I get irritated with other people, on the phone, the few times I am in stores, etc. My philosophy teacher calls it "the deep well of despair in not really understanding our real foundation." I dip my toe in there several times a day, but am taking yet another meditation course to grapple with it. I don't have any glowing reports, but am not willing to try many other options, and there has been a smidgeon of progress.

Well, I have instituted some rather serious eating mods in 2020. It felt like time. It's not smooth sailing every day, but many days and most of the time, I feel I have surrendered to the changes. I occasionally fantasize about some foods not on the "plan," but I am willing to visit the possibility of planning a couple of them in on specific, infrequent occasions, and in moderate amounts in the future, for social reasons.

So, my summer solstice weigh-in week followed an uncharacteristic willingness to try a 3-day plan meant to amend the gut microbiome and make it easier to be in line with caloric need. It was risky because most of the people who use it are eating diets way less natural than mine has become, so it was unlikely to have the profound effect promised. Maybe it was just a self-fulfilling prophesy that the pendulum would swing; I did some reactive compulsive eating after I finished, and 8 days after I finished the plan, my average weight was up by half a pound, not down. It just never works for me to secretly or not so secretly intend weight loss. However, with the 2020 changes I surrendered to for healthspan reasons, I am down 9 lbs. from last December, at the second lowest weight of my adult life. I weighed about this amount when I was a freshman in high school- not svelte because a little shorter- and for a short time in my early 30's when miraculously able to do IE for the blink of an eye. (The only time I was even slimmer was after months of traveling in India and Nepal, rather naturally falling into a rhythm of eating a couple of meals a day with an early coffee and walking for hours a day with no obligations or big worries. Can't imagine why I haven't been able to recreate that...:)) I can't say it is completely carefree, but I'm not CONSTANTLY dreaming of being able to eat other stuff or planning for it to be over. I get a kick most days out of preparing my meals. I really see it as long term. SIL and restrictions have helped as I vowed not to bring much refined food into the house. Me and unrefined starch got a good thing going, with a few eggs, an ounce or so of goat feta, and dead fish a few times a week in addition. I wish it was possible to post pics. I tried, but a simple pic of one of my plates of food was deemed too large. I do post them on the Facebook group and Spark.

It does make me a weirdo. but I'll face the repercussions of that when it's time to try again to have an in-person social life. Hell, I'm in California; some women on a Spark team I'm on are even stricter than I am and live in places where they are really fish out of water. And don't seem to fret about it.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 pm

59C4BA80-0808-4D45-91F5-8CAE4113F307.jpeg
59C4BA80-0808-4D45-91F5-8CAE4113F307.jpeg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Glad you’re in a good place (more or less) with your eating. Im impressed you’re sticking with meditating. I can never really get started with it but sure it would be helpful. Also, did i miss something? Are you living with your sister in law (sil?).

I was finally able to post a pic but think i had to choose “small” for image size.

Yup, i posted a random photo to test it. When i clicked on the photo from my ipad , at the bottom of the photo, it said to “choose image size” so I choose “small” instead of “actual size”. Hope that helps!
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:00 pm

It does make me a weirdo. but I'll face the repercussions of that when it's time to try again to have an in-person social life.
Hurray for weirdos! :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 am

Hi Linda and Auto! tx Linda for posting the pic. I' just tried again but when I click on the pic, I get no option on the size. It just goes straight to telling me it's too big. sigh I used the tab at the bottom that says "attachments>"
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 am

Forgot to say that SIL for me is "shelter in place."

Here's something new and not fun. I've started to have the symptoms of heartburn. NOOO. I have been feeling like I am basically in the groove, and don't want to have to mess with it much. I've cut so many foods from my life, willingly, but able to do it because I like the ones I do get to eat and sure don't want to have to give up any more of them. But I also don't like the idea of taking meds. Ok, I'm kind of jumping the gun here. I will contact my doctor but will also try a different eating schedule, although I was liking the one I was using. However, I was planning to adjust it anyway, I just was easing into it. Might have to speed things up.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:11 pm

That is such a bummer about the heartburn! I only get that as "payback" for: alcohol and/or pizza. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:45 am

Last night, it dawned on me that I could use bicarbonate of soda. The burning weakened by the time I went to bed and hasn't been back. I ate takeout from a vegan "fast" food restaurant, including French fries, so I got a mix of my regular foods and heavier stuff. So far, so good. (This is when there can be an advantage to foodd records. I have often been taking picutres of my meals; I guess I could go back and see if there is anything that could be the culprit. Since so many meals are made of basics from big batches, there will be repeats in the next week or so. We'll see if the burn returns. I may have even spoken too soon today.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Gum has been the best "cure" for me on the occasions I've suffered from mild heartburn.

Oh, and and update/edit: I have been reading about sauerkraut this morning, and discovered that some people use it to find relief from their heartburn. Maybe it's worth a try. I keep running across this paradoxical thought that heartburn is actually caused when there isn't enough acid in the stomach to keep the food moving along and so it sits there too long and begins to relax the sphincter at the top of the stomach. I'm still confused by this, but pondering.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 am

Oh darn sorry about the pic but even more sorry about the heartburn. :/ I’ve written about it on my thread but struggled a lot with it over the past few years. I think everyone has different triggers so yeah it’s good to a keep a diary and try to find your triggers. Here’s what helped me—gave up all carbonated drinks, gave up caffeine (100%), try not to eat 2-3 hrs before bedtime, no red wine and sleeping on a wedge pillow. Giving up caffeine was the hardest but also made the most difference. Yes about 1/2 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water helps. That’s what I used to do when I was fasting. A lot of the reflux prescription meds are pretty scary but I take otc Pepcid ac most nights before bed and supposedly it’s pretty harmless.

Auto: I’ve read that too but call bs. It seems like it’s a lot of the anti-medical folks saying that but who knows?

Anyway, hope it doesn’t turn into a big issue but if it does.you can definitely manage it. Just takes a little detective work which I know you’re good at.
Put in reasonable, sustainable perimeters on your eating and exercise and then get on with the rest of your life.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15–200 lbs
3/16-170 lbs
3/17-168.4 lbs
3/18-160 lbs.
3/19-163 lbs
3/20 167.7 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:36 am

Funny that this is the topic because the heartburn had gone away since I posted about the bicarb soda, but tonight I feel it very mildly and I have had mostly veggies and nuts today, plus a few olives. Doing my quarterly thing.

You won't believe it but I am considering paying for course on eating. I feel like there are just a few what I might call loose ends for me in eating, places where I am vulnerable to overdoing it and I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I don't mean just a little overeating, but the experiences of telling myself I won't eat more of X when I have really had a reasonable amount but then eating more and sometimes a LOT more. Am I trying to stay at too low a weight? i don't think so ,but I also accept that as a person who lost weight, my body is going to try at times to get me to get the fat back, but it's a mistaken desire on my body's part, IMHO. But also, to curtail how much time I still spend on all this just whirling around in my own head, reading, and writing on Spark. If I could use it more systematically with other people and make an impact, that might justify it, but I know I also need to develop other interests and abilities. I have not even put on my tap shoes since April, I think! Stuff in the house, stuff in the yard and too much sitting. I could have learned to play some kind of musical instrument in all the hours I've spent on this even after I'm actually at a good weight! Is it a passion or obsession? I'm okay with asking for guidance. And I am hardly spending money, so this won't be breaking any bank.

But don't be surprised if I come back in a few days and talk about some of the stuff I've learned during obsessing.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Well, it IS pretty compelling if you have struggled with weight. Part of what I like about this board is that people are metabolism/diet nerds who have read All the Things. If I were forty pounds lighter would it still interest me as much? I don't know! It's sort of a habit! You are super knowledgeable and generous with your time and the need is certainly out there if you wanted to do coaching or the like.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 am

Well, since I never had any real health issues- though they may have developed later-...

Yes but was I struggling for the right reasons? Actually, I don't think of myself as having had a weight problem as much as I had an addiction to terrible foods and wrestled with the societal expectation of media thinness as a statement on my worth and lovability. I know I'm not alone in that and some people are so entrenched by it that they don't even question it. "Of course I'm going to feel better about myself if I"m thinner!" I remember an episode of The Big Bang Theory in which Sheldon asks Penny something like, "Oh, are you one of those women who thinks her worth is diminished if she's fat?" and Penny shouts, "Yes!" as if there were not an alternative. I started questioning that in my mid-twenties, but not to the point I was at any kind of peace over it. Resisting changing my eating because I didn't want to pander to "the tyranny of thinness" held me back from handling the very real compulsive eating problem. I think loving one's body is a very hard ideal to reach, and not one in previous ages taking up much space in what makes for a good life, as far as I know. Of course, they didn't hate the look of their bodies, either In other words, it wouldn't have had the impact as a struggle for me if I had not been so ashamed of not being able to tame my eating enough to be thin. With No S, I set out to focus on dismantling the disorder, and have remained more intrigued by the influences on appetite. How can i know the real McCoy, how can I cooperate with it, have uplifting ("healthy") pleasure, but not let it rule my life? But the focus has taken up a lot of real estate, and still does.

But I do think these days that there are very good reasons to keep my eating "tamed," though not in a panicked or strident, I hope, way. Paradoxically, I think it's the reduction of calories that has health advantages, and the weight loss mostly follows, so that even people who don't become thin but are willing to eat less than they would really like, especially of modern foods, are at an advantage. Whether we like it or not, the common fare of food leads to a fair amount of disease, fat or thin. When America was thin and eating more of the supposed fattening foods, we still did have health problems, and we certainly died much sooner than long-lived cultures. Our life expectancy has lengthened as we have grown fat, but I don't think our healthspan has.

I know one of the things that holds me back from really going for the eating coach stuff is that I have not been able to find other outlets that don't just seem like they are a way to pass the time until I get to eat again or read about not eating or communicate with others about not eating. It's still a kind of preoccupation. How can I help others be free if I'm actually not?

It's interesting to me that at least one woman who works with compulsive overeating sounds like she never had an issue with it. I guess therapists deal a lot with problems they don't necessarily have, but it makes me wonder where her interest came from. Almost like, 1) how can you really understand the issue, and 2) isn't there something even bigger for you to want to handle? like the expansion of their lives beyond the preoccupation?

Speaking of being obsessed... I'm going to tear myself away and do the dishes.
Age 66
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8
3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux
6/21 22

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 pm

oolala53 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 am
Resisting changing my eating because I didn't want to pander to "the tyranny of thinness" held me back from handling the very real compulsive eating problem.
Me too, in a big way. It’s been a big stumbling block, and I wish the diet writers/experts would focus on what seems to me a very natural conflict of interests.

I agree, how would someone who’s never been through compulsive eating be able to counsel others? Why would they want to specialise in that area? You’d be a much better coach than those folk...in fact I’m reminded of something a young religious friend said to me a while ago: ‘the best priests are the ones who doubt’. Maybe he made it up, but I believe it! Those of us who still wrestle with the demons can still help others.