starting over

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

whatpartofno

starting over

Post by whatpartofno » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:04 pm

I've been lurking here for years--since 2006, I think--and had several good months this spring and summer during which I actually lost a little weight (about half a pound, which I was excited about). I'm 61, 5'1", and a woman; in addition, I've been dieting all my life. There seem to be a lot of folks just like me on this site. I'm pretty active, walking 3-5 miles a day and lift weights a little, but have a sedentary job. So you can see that for me weight loss is always going to be slow.

Then school started, and I began eating larger meals and stressing out more, and I began gaining weight. I've decided to get more public in order to convince myself to try again. My dad, who's a healthy 94, lost about 40 pounds by eating no sweets, no snacks, and no seconds (ever) when he was about 65--he's kept his weight off for 30 years. No S is common sense. But despite trying Dad's system numerous times, I've never been successful.

I guess the question is what success looks like. Is it losing weight, or losing my obsession with food? I've read the No S boards and blogs long enough to know that's one of the program's most attractive features, and it's worth the effort required. But I would love to lose the ten or twelve pounds I need to stop being "overweight," not to mention the twenty I would like to drop in order to feel less lumpy.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 pm

whatpartofno,

honestly just want to say I really beleive you can lose BOTH on No S, an unhealthy relationship with food AND 10 to 12 pounds.

That being said the unhealthy relationship with food may just need to be the first to go. I am in my 8th month of steady nosing and am being able to reduce the size of my meals more effectively. IN the beginning all three meals were pretty huge, but now when I am not so hungry I can eat a sandwich and coffee for lunch and be completely satisfied. I NEVER could have done that in the beginning ... would not have even tried!

But over time as my relationship with food has healed, it grows more and more uncomfortable to NOT GET HUNGRY before a meal. I almost just can't stand it ... but this is time and patience and not being in a hurry, just building HABIT.

I think your dad's story is great. I suspect if you stick with this, you will have some long term success too. Give it a year ... what do you have to lose? :D

WELCOME BACK,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

whatpartofno

thanks

Post by whatpartofno » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:29 am

Thanks, Blue. (I hope I'm doing this right, and that my reply goes to your msg.) I have long admired your blog--it's beautiful--and also your thinking. You're quite right that there's no downside here: while I may not lose any weight or achieve a better lipid profile (another goal), I will have some peace where food is concerned. That's huge.

whatpartofno

checking in

Post by whatpartofno » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Day 1, Success:
Breakfast--oatmeal, yogurt, home-canned plums, tea
Lunch--pbj, carrots, banana
Dinner--salad with cottage cheese and ranch dressing, toast and butter, apple, hot chocolate

Hot chocolate is a grey area food, but I'm still calling the day a success. At least it wasn't chocolate-covered almonds!

Exercise: an hour on the bike at Gold's

whatpartofno

Post by whatpartofno » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Day 2: Success

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and buttered toast
Lunch: yogurt and kashi crunch, banana
Dinner: mac and cheese, beets, cauliflower with dip, bread and butter

Exercise: three mile walk outside after lunch

whatpartofno

Post by whatpartofno » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Day 3: Success
NWS Day, Halloween

Breakfast: cereal, milk, banana (This sounds like nothing, but it was a lot of food!)

Snack: Halloween cookie at work

Lunch: cup o'soup, crackers, apple

Snack: handful of tamari almonds

Dinner: peanut butter toast, carrots, 2 hazelnut wafers, 1/3 of chocolate bar

Exercise: 4.25 miles on the treadmill at Gold's--that's an hour at 4.0 mph plus 5 mintues cool down.

I weigh every Friday or Saturday morning first thing, and today I weighed 136.4 lbs.

Just writing down what I've eaten and publishing it is helpful because despite being an NWS day, today was pretty typical: too many carbs and too much fat, not enough protein, snacking at work to amuse myself. Hmm.

whatpartofno

Post by whatpartofno » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Days 4 & 5: S Days, Success

Day 4, Saturday:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs and buttered toast
Lunch: pepper jack cheese sandwich, red pepper, mango/macadamia bar
Snack: little snacky things--all involving pastry--at a reception
Dinner: salad, grilled halibut, baked potato

Day 5, Sunday:
Breakfast: bagel and cream cheese, scrambled eggs, apple juice
Lunch: salad, 1/3 bagel, chocolate chip cookie, tapioca pudding, apple
Dinner: Swiss steak, carrots, mashed potatoes, green beans--best meal of the week.

Exercise: 3 mile walk outside with husband on Sunday, nothing on Saturday

Lots of tea with sugar and milk--joy of my existence--both days.

Really interesting how disappointing most of the stuff I eat actually tastes; I keep eating in the hopes that something will be good. Occasionally, it is. Right now, apples are excellent, and so are carrots from our garden. Eggs are good because we get them from a farmer, and beef, too, for the same reason. (Not the same farmer.) We canned a lot of tomatoes from the garden this year, and they taste rich and full--they made Sunday's Swiss steak extra-yummy.

Old-fashioned "regular" food is really satisfying, even though I worry about the eggs and my already-unpleasant cholesterol numbers. I'll probably eat the eggs for a while and then do a cheap cardiac panel to check, then make adjustments if I need to. Secretly I think that if I eat two eggs every morning for a while, I'll eventually decide one every morning is enough--and surely that's ok.

whatpartofno

Post by whatpartofno » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Day 6: Failure

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, apple juice, buttered toast
Lunch: cup o'soup, apple, wheat thins
Snack: tamari almonds, kiddie energy bar
Dinner: tossed salad, hamburger patty with pepper jack cheese

Exercise: 4.25 miles on the treadmill at Gold's

Not enough lunch, so I snacked. And also, I had snacks in my desk--never a good idea for me. No snacks there now, though!

whatpartofno

Post by whatpartofno » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Day 7: Success (or I guess it's back to day 1, right? Anyway. . . )

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, buttered toast, apple juice
Snack: nonfat decaf latte, but that's ok
Lunch: homemade veg soup, Wheat Thins (a lot), apple
Dinner: banana, bowl of cereal

Lots of tea as usual.

No exercise--a lot going on, and it was cold outside. Time to begin my winter exercise program, most mornings at the gym.