Beth's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Littleowl

Beth's Check In

Post by Littleowl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi there!
Checking in for the first time after doing a Google search to find this site again.

My story:
I used to walk 9 miles a day when we lived in California and worked in an office, because I don't drive at all and needed to get back and forth between work and home on public transport/on foot. I also have two kids and needed to pick them up at daycare which was not near home, upping the number of miles walked per day. I was still overweight even then, possibly due to being hypothyroid, but I'd call myself 'fat but fit' because I was actually in pretty good shape, quite limber and generally 'careful' about what I ate.

We moved back to the East Coast last year and I got a job working from home. I've been literally sitting on my bum for a whole year, eating junk because I actually work /more/ from home than I did in the office and tend to just grab whatever when I feel hungry and not taking the time to /make a meal/ so I've gained a ton of weight and am now completely out of shape. The only thing that has seemed to work for me in the past, has been getting exercise. Dieting is a total bust, but right now I'm not moving at all and that's what I'm looking to change. I'm also seriously strapped for cash, can't afford a gym membership, or even to replace my wardrobe that I no longer fit into, so getting into better shape is a must so I can stop wandering around in my nightgown all day and saving my one suit that fits for client meetings.

So here we go:

Day 1 Check In:
Stats: 5'8", somewhere upward of 280lbs (don't own a scale), size 3x pants and 2x shirts are currently comfortable.

Status: Today is an S-day and a Sick day on top of that. Thanks kids for that virus you passed on! Long story short, I have 102 fever, so no chopping wood this morning.

Goal for Sunday: Go get a sledgehammer at the hardware store. This is a 20 minute walk round trip.

Goal for Monday: (Provided fever breaks before then) Start first 14 minute movement work out (set alarm for 16 minutes earlier) and plan on 3 squares.

Littleowl

Post by Littleowl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Monday 11/3 - Thursday 11/6 - Sick Days

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Yikes! Sick days are NOT fun!!! I just got over being sick and I didn't do very well with my eating while I was...I stayed within the plan, but it was not easy.

I do hope you'll be feeling better soon....everything looks so much more encouraging when you're healthy...

And welcome to the forum...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...