Freedom's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Freedom

Freedom's Check In

Post by Freedom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I came across the No S diet on another forum for homeschoolers, it was mentioned by one of the ladies that she was planning to apply this to her life. Out of curiosity I started reading. So, I started about two and a half weeks ago. I did really well the first week. Last week and this I have struggled more. I am ok without the snacking, but the average size plate of food is a struggle :oops: . Also, I bake most everything including our bread and don't use refined products so I thought that eating some of my own baked goodies as part of my meal would be ok. I have realized this week that I need to do the no sweets part too. My first week I actually didn't eat any sweets because my average sized plate of food would not be filling if it was filled with "play" food. So, today is a new day and I will take what I have learned and continue on.

My goals with doing this are to really develop self-control with food and lose some extra weight. I actually don't have a lot of weight to lose, 10-15 pounds, but I watched my mom have no self-control with food and yo-yo dieting my whole life and don't want to fall into her patterns (or her body size unfortunately). I also believe self-control is a biblical principle that I need to work on. I grew up a naturally thin eater, only eating when hungry and stopping when full, and not really spending much time thinking about food. But, when I went on birth control when I first got married I found that I put on 25 pounds within a few months, that scared me and ever since (13 years ago) I have thought much more about food than I like.

I decided to post on this daily check in for the accountability. If I know that I have to put it out there for the world to see I will more likely follow through. At least until this becomes a lifestyle. My anxiety about posting this is that my time is very tight and I need to keep my posts brief. LOL I had to schedule this post into my day.

A little about me, I am a homeschooling mama with four children. My oldest daughter is 8, my second is a son who is 6 and my last two are boy twins that will be 4 in April. I love my life and am always working on those areas that need refining. If I could gain self-control with food and my thoughts about food then I would experience a great freedom in that area.

Thanks if you have read this far.

My plan is to follow the vanilla NoS, but my S-days are going to be split up. I usually make a dessert on Thursdays so my S-days are going to be Thursdays and Saturdays or Sundays. Yesterday I had an S day so I will not today. :) I also plan to only weigh in once a month. I find that my body and cycles cause weight changes throughout the month that can be very discouraging. So I will have my first weigh in in about a week and half.
Wife of 14 years and homeschooling Mama to 4 blessings. DD 9, DS 7, and DBT (dear boy twins) 5.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Yesterday was a success. I ate good portions for breakfast and lunch and by dinner I was soooo hungry, I ate a little larger than average dinner but within the limits. So I feel good about yesterday.
Wife of 14 years and homeschooling Mama to 4 blessings. DD 9, DS 7, and DBT (dear boy twins) 5.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Yesterday was an N day and it was a success. Breakfast I did well, lunch was a challenge because I had unexpected family come by and take us to lunch at a buffet. I was so hungry. I did a little stacking on my plate but no seconds and no dessert (which I normally would have). So even though I ate more than I would have at home, I did waaaaay better than I normally would have. Then later that afternoon they took us out for dessert. Again it was hard, but I knew I would be posting this morning and didn't want to post a failure on day 2 so I didn't have any. Dinner was good.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Saturday was NoS day and I did well.
Sunday was an S day (Sunday and Superbowl).

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Monday NoS day was a success.

I had an unexpected lunch out with my dad and kids. We went to Red Robin and I ordered my usual but only ate half of my chicken sandwich and ate the rest for dinner. Normally I would have ate the whole sandwich for lunch as well as more onion rings (the appetizer) and some of my kids leftovers. So that is a success for me.

Knowing I am going to be posting every morning (although I am not sure anyone actually reads this but me) keeps me from slipping. If you are lurking and wondering if you should start doing the daily check in I would encourage you to start.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Tuesday was a NoS day and was a success.

I am really craving a sweet treat...can't wait until Thursday. I need to think about what it is I want to make for our dessert that day. :D

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Wednesday was a NoS day and was a success.

I weighed today and am at 142. My goal is 130 so I have 12 pounds to go. I have a feeling that it is going to take a while to get there. I will weigh again in about 30 days and see what progress I have.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Thursday was my S day.
Friday I did well all day and then my inlaws came over to celebrate my birthday that night so I had cake and ice cream. So that was an S event.
Saturday was suppose to be a NoS day, but I ended up having a sweet snack in the afternoon because we took a day trip to an ice festival. Anyway, I failed on Saturday.
Sunday was another S day (and my real birthday).

Today I hope to have an N day but the next few weeks will be harder because my husband has time off on random days throughout the next three weeks. It is harder to keep to a regular schedule when he is around.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Freedom!

Welcome to No S from another homeschooling mom of four! I have three teen boys and a 3-year old girl. My very first thought when I found out I was having our sweet Izzy at age 45 was, "But I don't WANT to homeschool another 18 years!" I had seen the end of the homeschooling tunnel and was getting ready to move on to something else! LOL....I got over that pretty quickly, but I STILL look forward to something else after homeschooling! Our oldest is heading to Liberty University in the fall so at least one son is almost finished homeschooling. One down, three to go! It's been a great adventure and a blessing though, as I'm sure you know. There's nothing like watching the light bulb go on in their eyes when you're teaching them something.

I've been doing No S since early August & I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life. I've been on & off diets for my entire life, but this is how we were intended to eat...controlling our food instead of being controlled by it. Finding this was truly an answer to prayer in my life.

Anyway...just wanted to say "Welcome"....I'm here almost every day so if you want to chat about school or anything, I'll be around!

Have a great green day!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Well my computer has been shut down so I wasn't able to log in yesterday. IT is reallllly hard for me to stick to any system or schedule when my husband is home with (forced) vacation days.

Monday I didn't snack or eat sweets (which was hard when my birthday cake was looking at me all day in the fridge). I ate more than I should have at meals, but was still better than I would have been without using the guidlines.

Tuesday was the same. I wanted something sweet sooooo bad. But, I didn't snack or eat any sweets.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Freedom....thanks for dropping in on my check-in. I replied to your questions there....so come on over...

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:02 pm

It has been a few days since I have logged in. My successes have been few. Although I must say that even my failures are not as great as they were pre-NoS so I guess that is a small success in itself.

Wednesday: I craved sweets badly and caved in. :(
Thursday: My regular S day, should have done an N day since I caved Wednesday, but I didn't.
Friday: We celebrated Valentine's day so it was another S day.
Saturday: Since I had not succeeded on W-F I had sweets with lunch. The rest of the day was a success.
Sunday: My regular S day, although I need to say that I wasn't hungry at dinner time and didn't eat anything. So that was a success.

Today, holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc are over and I am hoping to be successful for a long while.

Thanks for reading and for the reply Janie.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 am

Hi Freedom,
Just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog. We have our ups and downs but the good news is we're still here!
:D Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Lori,

Thanks for the uplifting comment I appreciate it.

Monday was a SUCCESSFUL NoS day for me.

Today so far so good.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:33 pm

TUESDAY was a successful day. So I think I would like to keep track of my successful days to see if I can make it to 21 or beyond. So Tuesday was successful day NUMBER 2.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Wednesday SUCCESS day number 3.

Today is my S day (I do Thursday instead of Saturday.)

I know that change takes time, but some days it is so aggravating to feel that there isn't any change. Especially when you have been working years to have self-control in an area and are still battling the same fight. My husband and I finished a round of P90 (an exercise program put out by Beach Body) a couple of weeks ago and started P90X a week ago Monday. This is only our second week and I know it is a very intense workout program, but it seems like I should see more results from the first program. Today was 1 1/2 hours of yoga (the longest workout) and I cannot even come close to doing things that I used to do so easily. I am also discouraged by the "cottage cheese" I see on my arms and thighs that didn't used to be there. I know I have 10-15 pounds to lose, but I am also working harder at being in shape than I have ever worked in my life. I know that I am getting stronger, but it would just seem like some of that stupid "cottage cheese" would just go away. :evil: :oops: :cry:

I have been doing well this week with no sweets, no seconds, and no snacks, but I do need to fine tune my meals to be smaller. I know I am eating a little too much to compensate for not getting a snack. Well, I better get going. Sorry for all the rambling. It was 53 degrees yesterday and I was hot enough to put on my short sleeved shirt and have been discouraged ever since. It does take some of the joy out of having an S day.

Ok I stopped to go comfort my little 3 year old who got hurt and was thinking that getting into the NoS habit may take a few months and it might take some time to get used to No Sweets, seconds, or snacks and that it may be more of the refining process to work on less at meals too. So, I think I need to really focus on being a success on the three rules and then slowly work on the size of my plate shrinking little by little. I need to realize that this probably won't be a quick loss but hopefully I will see a little progress at my next weigh in. If I see some progress then I will have the motivation and encouragement to continue.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Thursday was a SUCCESS because it was an S day. :lol: :lol: :lol: So day Number 4.

Today was suppose to be a NoS day and I was actually looking forward to it after a day of icky eating yesterday. But, I know another excuse, I have a house guest who went out early to a gourmet doughnut shop and bought expensive doughnuts for us for breakfast. I think he would have been insulted or hurt had I not eaten what he brought home. So, I played out the scenarios in my mind and decided that I would go ahead and eat the doughnuts and switch my S day from Sunday to Friday. I am sad to have done that because it was not a day I was looking forward to and Sunday will be hard. But that is the plan. I don't want to make another exception after just having had my birthday, Valentine's day, and vacation days. So, today will be another S day and then I won't get another for over a week. Plus my husband has more forced time off next week and will be home for 4 out of 5 weekdays. Pray for me to have self-control because it is going to be hard.

Thanks for reading.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Friday ended up being my other S day this week so of course I was successful. Day Number 5.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Still need to work on the portions, but otherwise a success.

Saturday: success day number 6
Sunday: success day number 7
Monday: success day number 8

Looking forward to my S day on Thursday. I have been saving a cookie my husband bought me from a specialty store last Saturday. My S days had to be traded last week. Otherwise I would have had it on Sunday.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Yesterday I was doing fine and then in the afternoon my husband declared that since he is home on vacation time that it was a vacation day. So, I ate 2 1/2 cookies for dinner (I was full after that and didn't eat anything else). So I am going to chalk it up to an S day for our vacation. His company is forcing him to use his vacation days so we may not have a "real" vacation this year. So I won't count it as anything on my success count.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Well, it has been a week since I posted. I am still discouraged with myself for eating too much at meals. I am doing the no sweets and no snacks, but the no seconds is not going as well. You see, you can put enough food on your plate to equal 2 servings so I really need to get this part under control. I am glad about succeeding with the other two parts, but I am embarrassed about the seconds failures so I haven't been posting. I will try to post again and I will have to start my successful days over again.

magicman

Post by magicman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 pm

I believe I read in the No-S Diet book or somewhere on the website that when studied people allowed to have seconds have smaller initial plates, but end up eating more than people who aren't allowed to have seconds but are allowed to really fill up their plate.

So don't worry about how much you are putting on your plate, as long as it's one plate. Get the three plates a fay habit built first before you worry much about portion size and control.

My breakfast and lunch plates are what I would consider reasonable, but my dinner plate is sometimes comically full. And I still get hungry at around 10PM. So that's a success. My battle is winning not having a snack at 10PM, and trying to also be fighting a battle with portion's at dinner would just make the 10PM battle more difficult.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:52 am

Thanks for the encouragement Magicman. I will keep that in mind tomorrow.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Wednesday: SUCCESS
Last edited by Freedom on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Thursday: my S day
Friday: SUCCESS in all areas and I was careful about serving sizes. It feels so good to be a SUCCESS.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Friday: SUCCESS in all areas and I was careful about serving sizes.
Saturday : SUCCESS again.
Sunday: S day

and today will hopefully be another big SUCCESS.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Monday: SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Tuesday: SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Thursday: S day for me
Friday: SUCCESS
Saturday: SUCCESS
Sunday: S day for me

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:55 pm

I am posting now because I am finished eating for the day.

SUCCESS for Tuesday.

magicman

Post by magicman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 am

That's a great string of SUCCESS! You're doing great!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks Magicman it is kind of you to be so encouraging.

Wednesday SUCCESS
Thursday S day

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 pm

Thursday was my S-day.

Friday SUCCESS
Saturday SUCCESS

Sunday was my other S-day.

And so far so good today. :wink:

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

It has been a while since I checked in.

Thursday: S day
Friday: SUCCESS
Saturday: SUCCESS
Monday: fell off the wagon so I am switching my upcoming Thursday and calling this an S day

I have found that when I have food prepared and I know what I am eating in advance that the whole plan is easier.

Freedom

Starting Again

Post by Freedom » Mon May 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Hello to whoever may be reading. I did really well for a while and then we went on vacation on April 8th and I have not gotten back on track since. I am sad because I really thought I was developing some great habits. I am back with probably more to lose than my first post. I will weigh in a couple of days for another starting point. So, I hope to get in a good habit of successful days. I will start from this moment, but today has not been a successful day of eating so tomorrow will be the first I can mark as a success.

Thanks if you are reading.

Until tomorrow.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed May 13, 2009 12:30 am

I also did not finish all of my dinner because I felt a satisfied sensation in my stomach. At lunch I did not eat all I had planned for the same reason. YAY. This day has been a success at following the NoS rules and at having self-control.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu May 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Wednesday was a SUCCESS.

I still do my S days on Thursday and Sunday so today is an S day.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon May 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I can't believe I haven't posted since Wednesday. I have had a really busy weekend. Here are my stats:

Thursday: S day
Friday: SUCCESS day
Saturday: SUCCESS day

Today is Monday and I am planning on having another SUCCESSful day today.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue May 19, 2009 4:14 pm

I can happily report that Monday was a SUCCESS but it was SO HARD yesterday. I really felt hungry all day, so I ate lunch early and then dinner early and was hungry at bedtime, but that isn't as hard for me. I did it and am proud that I didn't cave because I really wanted to.

Hopefully today will be easier. It seems like eating all the goodies on Sunday makes Monday even harder and gives me cravings.

I ordered the book through amazon and am excited to get to read through it and find even more motivation to keep on keepin on.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Yesterday, Tuesday was a SUCCESS, but I was so hungry at 3:00 that I ate dinner at 3:30, I put as much food on my plate as I could. Then no more for the rest of the night.

So, yesterday was better than Monday because I didn't get too hungry between breakfast and lunch, but afternoon was hard and I wanted to eat in the later evening, but that wasn't too bad.

I am editing to add that I have had six successful green days in a row with the two neutral S days in between. So I guess that would be 8 good days in a row. Two more weeks to count as 21 days.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Woo Hoo! for you!

Vacation was my downfall too when I first discovered NoS. I'm hoping to make the 21 day club (for a second time) this go 'round!
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks Mimi. It is nice to get encouragment.

Wednesday SUCCESS.

9 DAYS in a ROW

Again I was starving in the afternoon and ate dinner around 4ish. But, I still only ate three meals without sugar and snacking and seconds so it is good.

Today is Thursday my S day YAY. It has been a tough week getting here. I do worry about overcompensating today and gaining back all that I may have lost the past three days. I will try to keep my S day within reason.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Thursday--scheduled S day
Friday--SUCCESS
Saturday--SUCCESS
Sunday--scheduled S day
Monday--holiday S day
Tuesday--SUCCESS

So that makes 15 successful days in a row.

I got my book and have been enjoying reading it. The biggest surprise was the statistics about how obesity correlates with snacking percentages!!! It really makes me think about my kids snacking. We have been taught that children need snacks and it is almost cruel and bad for their health for them to not have snacks. Not to mention all the snacking that goes on at church and sports events. It has always seemed a little too much to me that kids need a snack after playing a 40 minute soccer game in which they actually only played about 15 minutes.

magicman

Post by magicman » Wed May 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Congratulations for getting back on track!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks Magicman it is nice getting the encouragement.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Wednesday was a SUCCESS.

So 16 days in a row.

Although I am not feeling very successful. I think I am overeating at meals because last week I was so hungry between meals. I think I am putting more food on my plates out of the irrational fear of hunger. I haven't been hungry between meals this week and I hope it is a combination of getting used to not snacking and more food and not just more food.

I hope to learn and continue to improve.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 am

Hey Freedom - only 5 more days to make 21! Woo Hoo for you! :mrgreen:

Mimi

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks Mimi. Your screen name is cute does it correlate with your real name?

Thursday was my N day. I have to say that I don't think I can trust myself on the N Days. I realize that being a woman and only having 10 pounds to lose I am eating waaaay more on N Days out of a feeling of semi-deprivation throughout the S days and that I need a little more guidance. So I have decided that I need to keep with the three meal times a day and will allow sweets or seconds but not in between and see how that goes. Hopefully the habit of not snacking will become ingrained into my subconscious a little better without having those snacking days. Except for holidays where that is just part of the celebration :wink: . So for me to call my S-days successful I am placing myself under the regular no-S with the addition of no snacking between the 3 main mealtimes.

That is all for now. Thanks to the people who read and encourage me I hope you continue on too.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2009 10:30 pm

Hey Freedom! Sent you a private message explaining my name! (It is my name, by the way!) Keep on going girl!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Friday SUCCESS (day 18)
Saturday SUCCESS (day 19)
Sunday N-day SUCCESS (day 20)
Monday today (hey today is day 21!!!)

Yesterday I did my S-day with the modification of no snacking and I felt much better about it. I did end up with a kinda long lunch; we were shopping at costco right after church and we planned to eat lunch at the food court after shopping, so we did partake of the samples and then lunch and then an ice-cream bar after getting home. So it was a realllly long lunch, but then I had dinner later and that was it. In fact I didn't even end up with any other sweets that day so that is much improved over most of my Sundays.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Congrats on reaching 21!!!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Here are my stats.

Today: S-day

So when the S-days are counted that is 24 SUCCESSful days. I plan to weigh in on Saturday morning that will be 26 days on and hopefully I will see a little encouragement on the scale.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Here are my stats:

25 Friday: SUCCESS
26 Saturday: SUCCESS
27 Sunday: S-day
28 Monday: SUCCESS

28 SUCCESSful days.

magicman

Post by magicman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 pm

You're doing great! Keep it up!

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks Magicman!

Well it has been a week. Boy have I been tested.

29 Tuesday: SUCCESS (came down with the stomach flu at midnight)
Wednesday: Sick day (didn't eat until noon anyway)
30 Thursday: N day (still not completely normal)
31 Friday: SUCCESS
32 Saturday: SUCCESS but it was so hard. My parents were here and wanted to go out for a snack. I sat and watched everyone eat onion rings, ice-cream sundaes, and apple cobbler.
33 Sunday: N day

And today another hard day. I made delicious cookies yesterday and they were still out and I was soooooooooooo close to eating one with lunch but I didn't. I probably would have if it weren't for all of you that may be reading this post. So thanks for the encouragement.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:21 pm

34 Monday SUCCESS

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Wow! Your green streak is impressive Freedom - keep up the great work!

Mimi :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Freedom wrote: I made delicious cookies yesterday and they were still out and I was soooooooooooo close to eating one with lunch but I didn't. I probably would have if it weren't for all of you that may be reading this post.
Isn't it funny how that works... kinda stinks, huh? But I love it for the long run! Yep... we're keeping an eye on you!!! Ha! :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Well it is July 1st and I haven't checked in for quite a while. I have had mostly green days but I did have a couple of red days, as well as a sick day, and a holiday (Father's day). So I have done ok since not checking in but not great.

My husband needed to go on a grain/sugar free diet for medical reasons and I told him I would do it with him. It has been 1 1/2 weeks and it is hard. Not getting to have sweets on the S days is a real bummer. It has really made me think about all the sugar consumed (and we stopped eating sugar 5 years ago but still have honey, maple syrup, etc). Even fruit has a lot of sugar when you are having to keep the grams of sugar waaaaay low. This has been a good reminder to me.

I am sad that I haven't stayed as faithful as I had. I will try to pick back up with posting my daily progress. Thanks for the messages and encouragement.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Wednesday July 1st SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Thursday July 2nd S-day

I did weigh in yesterday and am down 5.5 pounds in two months. Would still like to lose 10-12 more.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Friday July 3rd SUCCESS I did very well this day and felt good about my success at the end of the day.

Saturday July 4th S-day for Holiday
Sunday regular S-day

Today I switched my Thursday S for today because I made a really good pie for the 4th that I only make once a year and didn't want to not get to partake so I thought the trade off was worth it for Thursday. I really want to work at having the rest of this week be as successful as last Friday was. I searched these forums for people with successful testimonials with about the same amount to lose as me and was really encouraged by reading them.

Thanks for the testimonies guys, please keep them coming, and pictures are an extra encouragement!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Well, if FREEDOM can't celebrate the 4th, who can?

Glad you ate the pie.

:wink:

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:19 pm

You are a hoot StrawberryRoan! Thanks for the laugh. :lol: :lol:

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Tuesday July 7th SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Wednesday July 8th SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Thursday July 9th SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

Friday July 9th SUCCESS
Saturday July 10th SUCCESS
Sunday July 11th S-day

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Monday July 14th FAILURE

I don't know why but I seem to do really well with my portions and then I start allowing more and more and yesterday I tried telling myself well this really isn't a snack food and I could have fit it onto my plate so it is ok. I finally decided that I just needed to take the red day. Once I decided that I went on a snacking free for all. I went to bed very full and felt miserable. Why oh why is a couple minutes of eating so tempting when hours of misery follow. I have a thinking brain and yet I still do this. OK today I will really try to work on being diligent about the 1 plate rule.

magicman

Post by magicman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember the old 80/20 rule, if you're doing thing right 80% of the time, the other 20% doesn't matter so much.

I imagine you are now realizing that the small slip ups aren't what matter at all, but using those slip ups as an excuse to binge can be.

Basically, just because it's a red day, it's still not an S day. But most important, don't let this discourage you from the great job you're doing.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Magicman. What you say about 80/20 is a good reminder.

Tuesday July 14 SUCCESS

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 am

Wednesday July 15th SUCCESS

Freedom

I am back

Post by Freedom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I can't believe it was January of 2009 that I first started and now it is June of 2010. I am coming back for the accountability. Obviously I have fallen off (and on and off and on) or else I probably wouldn't need accountability. There are so many diets out there that tempt you and make you think that sensible moderation (NoS) isn't enough. I really don't want to think about and feel guilty over food and weight, anymore.

I think I started around 148 last time and got down to 142.5, I am starting around 151 this time (this is my highest weight since I was preggo). I only like to weigh once a month so I will continue with that pattern.

My only mod is to use Thursday and Saturday as my s days instead of Saturday and Sunday. It fits better with our life style.

I started being very careful this week so I am going to list my Successes starting with Tuesday.

Tuesday: SUCCESS day 1
Wednesday: SUCCESS day 2
Thursday: S-day success day 3
Friday: today

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Yesterday was hard. I wanted leftover blueberry cobbler sooo bad. I thought I could just put it on my plate and call it good. But, I knew I was posting and it kept me clean. Today I could have had it and didn't want it. By dinner last night I was famished. I know I ate too much, but I didn't feel guilty for stacking because I had been so committed all day. Hopefully my body will get accustomed to eating less and the stacking will lessen.

Today is a free day. I had a reasonable breakfast that I didn't finish because I was content. Lunch I ate out and ate a little too much.

Friday: SUCCESS day 4
Saturday: SUCCESS day 5

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Sunday: SUCCESS day6

I know I am eating too much at meals still, but I really need to get the habit of no snacks and sweets down before focusing on that. I am so hungry by meals that it is hard not to eat too much. I believe my body and mind will get accustomed to not snacking and will be more content with less food at meals (eventually).