Just started

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

caroleann

Just started

Post by caroleann » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Okay, this is my 3rd day. My goal is to get in the habit and lose what ever weight I can before I go to a much needed trip to FLA during Easter break. Does anyone have some words of wisdom? Caroleann :D

embee

Post by embee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Hey Carolann...

I'm new here too - no words of wisdom, sorry - but I am WISHING I had started this sooner. I'm going to FL on Wednesday and darn it, I'm starting at my worst! Congratulations on starting now! It will all be worth it.
Everyone gets what they want. Some do not always like it.

franxious

Post by franxious » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm going to Florida too! Next week.

My words of wisdom are to plan in advance. You may want to count the entire vacation as S days, but it's pretty early to do something like that. On the other hand, there may be more temptation than usual (i.e., your every day N days). It might be smart to arm yourself with a plan about which days are S days and which aren't.

la_loser

Have fun!

Post by la_loser » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 pm

If I'm interpreting your request right, you want words of wisdom on how to lose the weight before you go on the trip? Certainly, it depends on how much weight you're talking about, but as we talked about it a discussion yesterday, No S is not about quick fixes or crash diets. With a little less than seven weeks before Easter break, you will want to consider that hopefully you have lost a few pounds, have begun to tone up a bit and that with good No S habits that you don't GAIN weight while you're there!

No S is a slow safe and sustainable process that you can LIVE with. (and not have to deprive yourself.)

Good luck! And have fun!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that there is support out there. I guess I just hope to establish some good habits before I go. Getting back into the habit of exercising again wasn't too hard...In fact, I forgot how good it feels. This, for me, is the most important aspect. I hope nothing happens to my MP3 player...it's my inspiration! :lol:

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels

caroleann

caroleann checking in

Post by caroleann » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, here it is the weekend. I have made it 6 days :lol: and I am feeling great! I haven't been overly hungry and my energy has increased. although there was one day when the jelly spice drops looked really appealingl
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go