caroleann checking in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

caroleann

caroleann checking in

Post by caroleann » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm

:lol: Seven days and feeling great!!!!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

RedChina

Post by RedChina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Congratulations!

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:46 pm

:oops: Boy, my math is awful. It has been ten days!

I have given up sugar in my coffee and getting used to it. I am getting up early, I exercise and have breakfast.

I got on a scale yesterday and wish I hadn't as no weight loss was what the numbers showed.

I have been exercising for 20 minutes every morning and I just don't think it's enough but I want to make things managable. I don't want to get frustrated :x . I remember when I was in my late teens and early 20s, I didn't eat (I actually skipped 2 meals) and I had to excercise like crazy. It wasn't fun as I was always struggling. :cry:

Well, I am thankful I am making a effort to change some habits.

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:58 pm

:?
Okay, No exercise this morning. Too cold and I couldn't get out of bed. I'll have time tonite to do 20min and I just might do a little DDR
Went to weigh in yesterday. HAhaha....I lost a whopping 2 oz. I will now check in daily and write every bite I have consumed.

B=oatmeal and 1/2 banana
L=4 oz tuna on bread with sprouts and lettuce 2 oz cottage cheese
D=1 1/2 stuffed cabbage roll 2 small dinner rolls, salad and 1/2 strawberries

No sugar in my coffee. yes!

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Day 13

I managed to get in some DDR last nite. 31 songs...280 calories. Now I don't feeel so bad about missing yesterday morning.

B= oatmeal and juice
L= turkey sandwich, 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 veggies and a slice of cheese
D= salad, 1/2 baked potatoe, veggies, pork loin and smidge of stuffing
coffee no sugar, water, juice

Filled up quickly at lunch and dinner so I would't say I over did it.

The smell of the cookies baking in the lunch room drives me crazy. Cookies are a snack choice for our students. Talk about promoting bad habits and bad choices........but those darn cookies are sooooooooo good!

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 pm

:lol: It's Friday!!!!!! Today I decided that I am changing my S days around. I am swapping Suday for Friday. Friday is a fun day and deserves treats and such. I will stay with my no S schedule of health and portioned in the morning and afternoon but come the evening, I am going to treat myself because I certainly don't want to go home and cook or think after a long week.

B=oatmeal
L=tuna sand, 1 cup fruit, and two pieces of cheese and full
D=salad, stuffed cabbage 1 1/2 cup, veggie and full
Not enough water
I am now used to splenda in my coffee but want to work on drinking less and replacing it with water.

Monthly weigh in
February=162
March=162

blue

Post by blue » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:51 pm

I do s days on Fridays and I prefer it. Fridays I like the treat!!! Is sunday now and with church and Yoga class it would feel weird to have a s day. Good Job :D

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:14 pm

:lol: Thanks Emily. but I managed to keep Friday a No S day. I was busy enough to manage without a snacks, sweets or seconds. I did have my pizza though and didn't go wild. Only two 1/2 slices of pizza (?) (it was hard to really tell how much pizza as it was cut differently..not in triangles) it had very thin crust with lots of toppings. :lol:

Friday
B= oatmeal
L=tuna sandwich and fruit
D=salad, pizza and shared a coke

Saturday=oatmeal with banana
L=stuffed cabbage
D=salad, steak, veggie and baked potato
lots of water

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Its Tuesday. I said I wouldn't get on a scale but I did yesterday and it showed that I lost 6 pounds!

Something I forgot to do was to list the goodies/snacks I had over the week end. This is the truth. I had 3 chocolate chip cookies, popcorn and shared a coke.

B=Oatmeal
L=sandwich and fruit. Full really fast
D=brat on bun, potato salad green salad and a couple of grapes

blue

Post by blue » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow 6 pounds. Thats amazing . Yeah !!!! Even with the goodies. You rock :lol:

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 am

:| It is day 19.

It was hard to get out of bed as the weather is taking it's toll. Rain for 3 1/2 days and now it's cold. Just wanted to stay in a nice warm bed but I did it. I got up and excercised and got on with my morning.

B=bowl of special K
L=sandwich and cup fruit. Got full pretty fast
D=Taco and enchilada. I shouldn't have eaten as much as I did. I went for taste and not when I felt full. :oops:

I may add another habitcal calendar for smoking habit. I will make my goal 3 or less smokes a day. These will be yellow days but not exempt like s days, they will be caution days. Green will be no smokes that day. Red will be had to many smokes.

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49 am

Day 20

Things going well. I even got on my bike for 20 min. last night.

No coffee this am. I am not giving up coffee but I am taking a break from it, it just hasn't been tasting good. Since I have changed my morning routine: out of bed exercise, shower etc then down stairs, I have not been smoking or drinking coffee in the morning. I also do less sitting around wasting time. I seem to be more on the ball. Reinhard is right when he says you can control what you are doing. For me, changing my habits has aloowed me to tackle more at a time because they all seemed to be wrapped up together. It's like untangling a necklace.

B=Special K and 1/2 grapefruit (oops I forgot to mention the other 1/2 I ate yesterday)
L=Sandwich and fruit. Got full fast. Left 1/2 of my fruit
D=beef stew, salad, 2 rolls. Got full fast. Only ate 1/2 beef stew. Ate both rools as I'm a carb junkie. Maybe I out to do a habitcal for carbs?
1/2 cup coffee (yuck) some water and protein drink. Darn it I didn't drink enough water. Habit cal for this too?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm

You're doing great Caroleann!!!
Congratulations on your sticking to it and your weight loss!!!
No problem if you math isn't that good..
On this diet you really only need to be able to count to three ;)
At any rate, keep it up!!!
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09 pm

:lol: It's Friday and it's day 21!!!! :lol:

I'll tell you this no-sing has not been very difficult for me. I feel better (emotionally, physically and mentally) than I have felt in a very, very long time. Out of all the changes I am making and new habits I am forming I'm not quite sure what's doing the trick..maybe it's just because I am IN CONTROL NOW and taking care of me.
Happy, Happy week end :lol: :lol:

B=Special k
L=Sandwich and fruit
D=Beef stew, salad, rolls and fruit

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Friday and Saturday I didn't do so bad with The Ss. I had about 10 girl scout cookies-thin mints and a couple of spice drops. I messed up on Sunday :cry: . It wasn't horrible but I missed lunch and ate some girl scout, shortbread cookies.

Friday
B=Special K
L=sandwich and fruit
D= chinese with seconds
S=5 thin mint cookies and a glass of coke

Saturday
B=banana and slice of french bread
L=an apple
D=salad, hamburger and a few onion rings and pickles
S= a couple spice drops, thin mint cookies and a glass of coke

Sunday
B=eggs bacon and toast
L= :oops: snuck the short bread cookies
D=salad, ribs, potatoes, corn

Monday
B= Oatmeal
L= sandwhich and banana
D= salad, Most. roll and a small piece of cake

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:50 am

:) It's Wednesday,

I'm back on track. I really don't think that I will shed as many lbs as I wanted to before Fla. trip. Peolpe say I look like I have lost weight but the scale is not showing it showing. they say you're probably losing inches. :? I am not sure how this inches thing works?? How can you lose inches without losing the lbs?? :?

I haven't smoked for 6 days and I quit drinking coffee. I decided I would treat coffee as a sweet I'll put my sugar and cream in it and have it on Saturday morning :D

Yesterday was St. Patty's day and I avoided all temptations

Tuesday
B=oatmeal
L=Turkey sandwich, fruit and a couple pepper slices
D=ruben sandwich and potatoe soup

Still not enough water!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Congratulations Caroleann!
Great that you quit smoking!!! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

blue

Post by blue » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 am

This time a year with the cutie girlscouts is hard. I want to support them but why cant they just sell broccoli, carrots :lol:

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks Deb but until I go about 2 months, the urge and temptation is still there...especially when my husband is still smoking.

It's been 27 days on habit!!! :lol:

Wednesday
B=special K and a banana
L=1/2 turkey sandwich and fruit
D=bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and slice of toast
I did it! I drank 32 ounces of water plus my juice and tea

I just may start giving the girlscouts a donation. The cookies are okay but on an S day, I can come up with a lot of better things to eat for my treat!!

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:44 am

:lol: It's FRIDAY! :lol:

I'm not feeling deprived; I'm feeling like I'm in control. It's a good feeling! Gooooo...... will power!

B=special k and banana
L=1/2 turkey sandwich, fruit
D=turkey, noodles, greenbeans and salad
1 liter of water, 8 ozs juice 10 oz hot tea

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:47 pm

It's Sunday. For having just had 2 S days I feeling pretty good as I didn't over do anything!

Friday
B=Special K
L=1/2 turkey sandwich and fruit 2 chocolate chip cookies
D=salad, baked potatoe, fried clam strips. clam sooup and roll I didn't finish all the food. I left salad, soup and potatoe but fininshed my clam strips..yummmm

Saturday
B=raisin toast and a couple of mint cookies
L=Taste tested a few things at Gordon Foods chicken and dumplings, 1 ravoli and deboned chicken on a roll
D=steak and a baked potatoe

Sunday
B=oatmeal
L=Fruit and quaker snack mix
D=Ravoli, salad and veggie

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:08 pm

It's Wednesday. The days slipped by and didn't have a chance to write. Started taking hydroxcut on Sunday. Will see if it makes any difference.
Hard to get up this morning but managed to get up in time to at least ride my bike for 20min. :D Funny... at the weight loss challenge meeting the coach served nut mix as a snack. I still believe the number one thing to cut out when trying to lose weight is the snacking. Dumb me, I actually had a helping of the nut mix. It was a crazy evening of rushing around and, eventhough I ate dinner, I didn't sit down for the meal and I was still hungry! Darn those nuts.....glad they weren't potatoe chips. :evil:

Monday
B=oatmeal
L=Turkey and fruit. Didn't eat all my fruit
D=Ravoli, salad and veggie
1 liter water and 2 cups tea

Tuesday
B=oat cereal with fruit
L= 1/2 Turkey sandwich and fruit full fast
D= hard boiled egg, ravoli and veggie
1 liter water and 2 cups tea

About a cup of those stupid nuts :evil:

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:52 am

It's Thursday. :| Still on track but I am a bit grumpy and tired.... would love to go back to bed.

Wednesday
B=cereal
L=turkey sandwich and fruit
D=KFC thigh, salad, potatoes/gravy and corn
2 cups tea and one liter of water

lauren

Post by lauren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Caroleann,

I am new to this board but found your thread when I did a search on "smoking" since I am also trying to quit. I have never been a heavy smoker, but I do tend to have 2-3 a day, especially when I'm stressed or out having a few drinks. Plus, it doesn't help that my husband is still smoking also... I am a runner, and needless to say this does NOT help my goal of adopting a new, healthier lifestyle! :)

I love your idea of adding a habitcal calendar for monitoring!

Keep up the great work.

Lauren

lauren

Post by lauren » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Caroleann,

I am new to this board but found your thread when I did a search on "smoking" since I am also trying to quit. I have never been a heavy smoker, but I do tend to have 2-3 a day, especially when I'm stressed or out having a few drinks. Plus, it doesn't help that my husband is still smoking also... I am a runner, and needless to say this does NOT help my goal of adopting a new, healthier lifestyle! :)

I love your idea of adding a habitcal calendar for monitoring!

Keep up the great work.

Lauren

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:01 pm

It's Friday but Im too tired to smile. I went to bed before 9:30 and woke up tired :x I kept pressing the snooze button and didn't get up to exercise :x Technically it is an S day for me so I won't beat myself up about the exercise and I'll try to get some in today.

Went to my sons wrestling banquet last night and stuck to one plate and managed to pass up the chocolate cake, my fav, with out too much trouble. :D

Thursday
B= bowl of honey, nut oat cereal and a banana
L=chicken drumstick and mac. salad
D=chicken thigh 3 meat balls potatoes, green beans and salad
Not enough liquids!

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 am

Monday 3/30. I did okay over the weekend no snacking and only a few sweets. The only seconds I had were on friday at our luncheon and that was a salad and on sunday I had an extra helping of sweet potatoes. Not real energetic this weekend :(

friday
b=cereal
l=salad, corn chips and cheese pizza slice
d=cup clam chowder, a few shrimp and breaded/fried/califlower-I really didn't eat a lot
treat 3 chocolate chip cookies

Sat.
b=3 eggs and toast
l=ravoli
d=4 squares of pizza, salad and coke
treat, a few spice drops

Sun
b=pancakes snack=orange
l=pizza and coke
d=ham, green beans, scalloped potatoes and sweet potatoes, coke

I had coffeee with sugar and cream-maybe two cups total

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:11 pm

It's wednesday April 1st. I'm feeling a bit more energized this morning and that makes me happy! I really blew it yesterday. I didn't exercise in the am and I was starving all day so I ate. Ugh!

Monday
b=cereal
l=turkey sandwich and fruit
d=2 rolls, bowl of fruit and bowl of corned beef with cabbage and potatoes I only ate 1/2 my bowl

tuesday
b=cereal and banana
sweet and salty granola bar
Breakfast pizza

l=3/4 of a sandwich, cup of fruit and a banana
Candy bar
d=6 inch subway sub and chips

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Wow! Where has the time gone? It's already the 23rd. My last check in was the 1st.

Well, I stuck to no-sing on vacation. The only day I slipped up was the 16th and I ate some wheat thins...hummmmm I could have probably picked something a bit better?

I can't say I went overboard on anything. In fact, I started drinking diet shakes for breakfast. I didn't even have a sweet on my birthday.

Since I am not seeing any results (except maybe losing some inches) I have really cut back on what I am allowing myself to have on no s days. For breakfast and lunch, I am eating fruit and drinking herbal life diet shakes. I know I need more excercise but the only time I can fit it in is if I get up at 4 in the morning and, dang it, I am tired. Even if I go to bed at 9:00, I can't drag myself out of the bed!

Well, I'll try again tomorrow :?