LauraJean's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LauraJean

LauraJean's Daily Check In

Post by LauraJean » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi all! Today is my second day following the no s diet and I have high hopes for it. I've been steadily gaining weight since I graduated from high school 5 1/2 years ago but I've never made any real progress in losing it. I don't want to follow in my mom's footsteps, though I love her very much, she is obese and has lots of health problems. I am currently overweight at 175 pounds (I'm 5'7") and I would love to be about 40 pounds less like I was back in high school.

So day 1 (yesterday) was a success!
Breakfast: bacon, egg, cheese biscuit w/ hash browns and unsweetened tea from Jack in the Box
Lunch: 1 slice thin crust pepperoni pizza, cheese and crackers and water
Dinner: dirty rice w/ ground sirloin, okra, and whole wheat toast with a glass and a half of white zinfandel.

So it could've been healthier but I stuck to the guidelines!
Last edited by LauraJean on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All you see, I owe to spaghetti.
-Sophia Loren

LauraJean

Post by LauraJean » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:00 am

Day 2: SUCCESS
Today was another success. For breakfast I had leftovers from dinner, lunch was some minestrone with some crackers, and a burger with baked fries for dinner. I got hungry between meals but I found that coffee, tea or water really helped with that. My boyfriend asked me to make us some popcorn to eat in bed but I told him no. I didn't tell him about my diet though yet. I think he'd be skeptical. I'd like to tell him after he notices some results. I need to start getting more exercise. I've decided to make that my next habit to instill after I've done no s for 21 days. :D
Last edited by LauraJean on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sophia Loren

la_loser

welcome!

Post by la_loser » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:05 am

Sounds like a good start. And you are right. You DID stick to the rules!
You will find lots of support here. Welcome.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

LauraJean

Post by LauraJean » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks LA Winner. It seems like there is lots of support to be found on these boards. It's nice.

So far today has been a success.
Breakfast: bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit from mcds but NO hashbrown and a small nonfat latte which I could only finish half of bc it made me jittery.
Lunch: turkey sandwich and jalapeño chips with unsweetened tea, luckily I was brought up on unsweetened and find sweet tea blech!
Dinner: haven't had it yet but will follow no s when I do.

Also, I went to a park before lunch and walked around for about an hour. I actually ran into a snake but backed up and let him go his way then I went mine. Next time I won't be wearing flipflops! It was very relaxing to be out in nature and it really worked up my appetite and made lunch that much more satisfying.

Tomorrow I think I'll lift some weights. I'm bridesmaid in my friends wedding the 17th of April and my dress is strapless so it'd me nice to have some defenition in my arms. It'd also be nice to lose some weight before then but I'm not gonna worry about it too much. I don't want my dress to be too big!
Last edited by LauraJean on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sophia Loren

LauraJean

Post by LauraJean » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Day 4: Success!

Bfast: bacon, egg, cheese, onion, salsa on a tortilla with apple juice
Lunch: tomato soup & crackers
Dinner: Parmesan encrusted tilapia, hashbrowns & edamame

My weight today is 173.6. Monday it was 176.4. Yeah!
Last edited by LauraJean on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sophia Loren

marleah

Post by marleah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 pm

It looks like you are off to a great start. I love tomato soup, and edamame. Keep it up ... it's almost an S-day! ;) Oh, and I like the quote in your signature too!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

LauraJean

Post by LauraJean » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah I lloovvee edamame.

So my first weekend is over. Thank god. It was certainly a weekend of excess. I had a bachelorette party to go to Saturday night and I drank ALOT. On top of that I went out Friday night and had some drinks. Today I weigh a pound more than I did last Monday. :cry: maybe I should add a new s: no sloppy drunk nights. But honestly I don't think it would get implemented. Sadly, all my friends are partiers. Has anyone else dealt with this?

I also had some sweets, chocolate milk and ice cream but I didn't really have any snacks. I had a big enough dinner Saturday to probably be considered seconds, but I had spent all day prior to that with a friend who never eats so all I had before dinner was the chocolate milk and a smoothie. I'm glad it's Monday and things can get back to normal and I am looking forward to a success. It'll be day 8!
-Sophia Loren

marleah

Post by marleah » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Reinhard has a system for drinking called the Glass Ceiling. There's more about it on the homepage, but basically it just limits drinks to 2 per day, I believe. I'm not much of a drinker, so I didn't look into it too much. I know that there are some drinks that are considered "lighter" than others; you might look into that so that you don't have to outright refuse drinks if you want to have a few with friends.

Don't worry about the little gains! One pound isn't a lot, and it all evens out over time. But yes, N-days are nice for structure!
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

LauraJean

Post by LauraJean » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I looked at glass ceiling and I have been following it during the week but not the s days. I think I'll try to follow it 6 nights a week and give myself one free night.
Today is day 1 for me again. I wasn't able to make the transition from s day to n day and I've just been going wild eating whatever whenever for the past three days. I was so confident last week, just thinking how easy this is and that I'd have no problem sticking to it.
So here I go again. I'm gonna reread some of the book I think. Maybe that'll help me.
-Sophia Loren