Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thtrchic

Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm

It's been a very long time, but I've decided to get back on the No-S wagon. And even though it's Sunday so there's not really anything to it, I'm saying I'm starting today. That way when tomorrow comes there's no decision to be made -- I'll already be doing it.

So, day 1 it is. And since it's an S day it's guaranteed success. :)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:00 am

Monday, Day 2: SUCCESS

B - oatmeal with a little butter and brown sugar, banana
L - parmesan noodles with canned salmon
D - homemade blueberry bran muffin, strawberry yogurt drink

Good on water, good on multivitamin.

I'm hungry now and really could have had something else with lunch or dinner, but I'm sticking with the plan and not adding that in now. It's 10pm so I'm sure I'll survive til the morning.

Julie

la_loser

Welcome back!

Post by la_loser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 am

Welcome back,

Good thought on starting on Sunday since today you would be "pre-disapproved" for your S's!

Would it be that your user name stands for Theatre Chick?

Hope No S and you reconnect in fine fashion!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi, LA. Thanks for the welcome. And, yep, that's what my username means.

Tuesday, Day 3: SUCCESS.

I just finished dinner and it's a little early to be done for the night, but I think it'll be ok. Late afternoon and early evening is the really hard time for me. I'm better about both resisting temptation and resisting hunger at night. I'm not really very full actually, but still I think it's ok. I'll just really enjoy my breakfast tomorrow. :) The pizza today was less filling than other things of comparable size and calories, but I both wanted to eat it and didn't want to waste it so I think it's worth the trade off.

B - 1.5 cups of cereal with milk, banana
L - 2 pieces leftover frozen pizza, cup of strawberries and few blackberries with a couple teaspoons of cream
D - homemade blueberry bran muffin, about 1 cup worth of homemade blueberry/raspberry smoothie

Good on water, took my vitamin.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:54 am

Wednesday, Day 4: SUCCESS

B - 1.5 cups cereal with lowfat milk, banana
L - carrots, black olives, hummus, whole grain crackers, pear
D - 2 pieces of matzo with butter

I planned to have strawberries as a big part of my dinner, but mine (bought 2 days ago!) had gotten moldy. Actually, originally I planned to make a more "real" dinner, but I didn't get home from work until 8:15 and at that point really didn't feel like starting all that.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:52 am

Thursday, Day 5: SUCCESS.

Not quite as healthy of choices, but still definitely a success.

B - 1.5 cups of cereal with lowfat milk, banana
L - fried matzo, sliced apple
D - 1 piece pan pizza, little green salad with italian dressing

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 am

I had forgotten when starting this last weekend that Friday and Saturday works so much better for me as S-Days than Saturday and Sunday. So I'm going to go ahead and switch to that right away with today. That'll also mean I'll consider my Friday morning weight "official" for the week. And with that I've lost 1 pound this week, despite it being a very short week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:03 am

Friday, Day 6: S-DAY.

Some definite indulgences and not too much healthiness, but I don't think idiotic.

B - large piece of leftover pan pizza
L - cannoli (can you call that lunch?)
D- most of a chipotle barbacoa burrito bowl with tortilla chips
S - 2 girl scout cookies

Ok on water, took my vitamin.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Saturday, Day 7: S-DAY.

B- french napoleon from an amazing local bakery
S - piece of matzo with butter
L - jimmy johns turkey sub, chips
D - at a columbian restaurant: carne asada with arepa (corn cake thing), few bites potato, some fried sweet plantains
S - celebrating my birthday (which was a couple weeks ago, but i was too busy to do anything about it until now) with friends: 5 glasses of baileys on the rocks

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Sunday, DAY 8: SUCCESS.

This afternoon I was having a very hard time sticking to it. I was both truly hungry and feeling like sweets after two days of eating them. But somehow I resisted and pulled through. Partially by taking a nap for half an hour to eat up some of my time until dinner.

B - 1 cup cereal with lowfat milk
L - leftover carne asada with boiled potato, couple bites of fried plantain, yogurt
D - homemade pureed beet soup, french bread, strawberries

Good on water, took my vitamin. Ive been doing basically nothing about exercise, but have decided to let myself off the hook on that for a while while I focus on getting eating under control. Both are issues, but food is the bigger issue for me so I've decided takes higher priority. Plus once I'm eating better and therefore feeling better it's easier to get myself to exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 am

Monday, Day 9: FAILURE.

I know what went wrong, didn't let myself just throw the whole day away after calling it a failure and calorie-wise, it's not too bad so I don't feel awful about it, but still am disappointed. But moving on to better days...

B - cereal with milk, banana
then ate a piece of french bread
then ate some chocolate covered caramels
L - jimmy johns turkey sandwich on wheat bread, chips
then ate some strawberries

I don't know how to classify all the non-meal stuff.

Ok on water, took my vitamin.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 am

Tuesday, Failure, Ugh. That's all I have to say.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:19 am

Wednesday, Day 1: SUCCESS.

B - cereal with milk
L - yogurt, homemade banana muffin, pear
D - (at a work thing) pizza, half a beer

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 am

Thursday, Day 2: SUCCESS. Sort of. Dinner was not really a meal, but the best I could reasonably work out.

B - malt-o-meal with a little sugar and milk
L - subway turkey sandwich, baked chips
D - a little peanut butter, tortilla chips with guacamole (at a work thing where this was really the only possible option)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Friday and Saturday: Days 3 and 4: S-DAYS.

Friday was a mild one. Yesterday verged on idiotic and I went to bed feeling slightly sick.

And I'm struggling already today. I did eat my regular cereal and milk breakfast. No fruit with it which might have been a mistake hungerwise. But, oh well. I have a plan for a simple and light lunch. And then tonight I actually have an event that revolves around dinner so I'm going to deem 6-10pm an S-DAY. It's something that happens about 8 times a year so I'd be ok just calling the day NWS, but I don't see any reason to let myself to get away with whatever all day just because of the evening so I'm restricting it.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 am

Monday, Day 6: SUCCESS.

B - homemade banana raspberry smoothie
L - bowl of leftover massaman beef curry with white rice, sliced pear
D - boca burger with cheese on a roll, few tortilla chips, couple carrot sticks

Julie

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

thtrchic wrote:And then tonight I actually have an event that revolves around dinner so I'm going to deem 6-10pm an S-DAY. It's something that happens about 8 times a year so I'd be ok just calling the day NWS, but I don't see any reason to let myself to get away with whatever all day just because of the evening so I'm restricting it.

Julie
Julie, this sounds like a really good idea. Before no-S, on other diets, if I've know I have something coming up in the evening where I'll want to eat without restrictions, I'll blow the whole day since I figure it's a lost cause. But your way sounds much better. Also, I read on someone else's check in that just because you back into a pole, doesn't mean you have to wreck the whole car!

By the way, what does NWS mean?

Thanks for sharing this trick.

Liz

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 pm

guadopt1997 wrote:
guadopt1997 wrote:
Also, I read on someone else's check in that just because you back into a pole, doesn't mean you have to wreck the whole car!
Liz
Thanks so much for this quote! I always suffered from "What the hell"-effect and it's the one quote that kept my fail-day yesterday fairly sane!
I wonder who said it.

Cheers
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021