Masher Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

masher

Masher Daily Check In

Post by masher » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:01 pm

3 July
This is my second day to post; so very much a newbie here having started in June. Building good habits is my real goal. I could write a book about nutrition, but appropriate and joyful eating is much more than nutrition. I trained as a Registered Dietitian in the '80's, did fat research and co-authored some papers, then worked as a clinical dietitian in a hospital for a few years. I left the industry many years ago, to work in another more exciting and gratifying area but still keep up with most of the major nutritional research and journals. Despite all of this knowledge, I was overweight until about 10 years ago.
Like many people on this board, I tried most diets. I thought that living in Japan would help with weight loss but I was never fatter. I did not have the cultural habits of the Japanese so I ate huge portions, grazed in between meals, and all too frequently visited their adorable patisseries.

After many years I have lost the weight I wanted to lose. I have kept it off for at least 5 years. Of course I am thrilled but my weight loss regime feels too restrictive for the very long run. I want a system that helps me maintain my weight and fitness without taking too much "brain space". I really resent spending an inordinate amount of time thinking about restrictions, when I could be reading, listening to music, seeing exhibitions or spending time with people I care about.

Today: Success
B: green tea, coffee with chicory, milk, plus early expresso mac before Pilates class
L: spinach and avocado salad with EVOO, lemon, poached salmon, Ryevitas
D: planning Middle easterm mezze with friends; aubergine, feta and mint, spinach and yogurt on one small plate then grilled lamb, salad and maybe spoon of rice on another small plate. Will have to virtual plate tonight. Will enjoy 2 glasses of red wine too.
Exercise: Pilate class, 1 hr, was tough but good
Later comment: Had 2 glasses of wine but they were too large for me! Will reduce serving size.
Last edited by masher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Masher's almost daily check in

Post by masher » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 am

Sat 4 July
B: green tea, coffee with chicory and whole milk
L: Homemade spinach, feta and bacon fritatta, salad, espresso with a little milk
D:Tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, bites of cold roast beef
Roast pork, roast aubergines, shallots, red peppers
Strawberries, raspberries, creme fraiche
No alcohol - liver needs a rest after last night but I wanted some!
No exercise - planned rest day

Sun 5 July
B: green tea, coffee with chicory and milk (always same - may stop posting)
L: : Dressed crab, mayo, Baby Gem salad, slice Poilane toast, espresso with a little milk, 1 sq Lindt
D: Fresh green beans with proscuitto, pecorino
Glass Italian white wine
Seabass with samphire
Glass Macon
Raspberries with creme fraiche, 1 tsp peche de vigne
Fresh mint tea, 1 sq Lindt
Exercise: 35 Min Pilates; felt energised after

Really enjoyed both S days - now can I adjust back??

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 am

I want a system that helps me maintain my weight and fitness without taking too much "brain space". I really resent spending an inordinate amount of time thinking about restrictions, when I could be reading, listening to music, seeing exhibitions or spending time with people I care about.
Masher, welcome to NoS! I think you've found what you've been looking for! With its simplistic rules, minus the umpteen different restrictions that come with other diets, NoS leaves the follower in a very peaceful state of mind and free to indulge in the various other pleasures of life.
It's the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. I promised myself while I was at home this summer I was going to go through my bookshelves and clean out all the unwanted, outdated, and otherwise unnecessary books and take them to the Gift-and-Thrift Booksavers - that means my collection of *diet books* is going, going, going - gone!
Good luck on your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 pm

I think you've found EXACTLY the right program here! Welcome! :)

masher

Daily check in

Post by masher » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Mimi - Thanks for your support!

Monday 6 July Success
B: same

L: Homemade spinach, feta, bacon frittata, grated zucchini salad, 2 small slices Poilane toast, espresso with splash milk - all delicious!

D: Plan - roast aubergine, peppers, shallots, with roast pork, lettuce, cheese
2 glasses Chianti

Exercise: 35 minutes of weight training combined with high intensity interval training on the rowing machine. Tough. Feel good when I finished!

This is my first No S day after 2 S days, Just starting to build the habits.
But "no funny stuff" as Reinhard says.
Last edited by masher on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:42 pm

KCCC - thank you for your support. I have read most of your entries and you have written some real "pearls". BTW - ordered the Pilates audio tape and book yesterday.

Tuesday 7 July
B: really hungry; green tea, coffee, chicory and milk, then Brazil nuts and almonds
L: Salad with walnut oil, poached salmon, guacamole and some cottage cheese/yogurt with the best Tulameen raspberries I have had this season. Espresso with a splash.
D: Plan drinks (max 2) with a friend, then spinach feta bacon fritatta, braised veal, peas with mint

No exercise other than 35 minute walk through the park. Planned rest day.
Appetite seems to have increased, so have increased fish and meat consumption. Was so hungry last night that I had dinner an hour earlier....almost an "institutional" hour - eeek

Edit: Oh dear, first failure
Roasted almonds with tamari to serve my friend with drinks, and I could not resist nibbling. Not a disaster but not No S either. Would call this snacking I suppose. Will mark it and move on!

Masher
Last edited by masher on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:28 am

Wow, will you come cook for me? Your meals sound lovely! The frittata has all my favorites in it.

What is the grated zucchini salad? I have zucchini in my garden and am looking for something creative to do with them.

masher

Zucchini salad

Post by masher » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 am

KCCC
I am flattered! The zucchini salad is so simple that it is not really a recipe. I grate younger smaller zucchini fairly finely in a food processor. Then add torn fresh mint leaves. Then you have choices for the dressing depending on what is in the refrigerator or personal taste. This time I added some good olive oil and a bit of whole milk yogurt plus salt and pepper.
July 8 Success Call this Day 1
Today, big challenge as am having dinner with friends at a tapas place. No big plates. Lots of little plates. Plus my friends eat a LOT at a fast pace!
So how to plan?
1. later lunch (2.00pm) so won't be starved at 8.30
2. plan what to eat (I know the menu), pick 4 -5 fav things and virtual plate it all together

B: Coffee, chicory, milk
L: Rocket salad with trout stuffed w/ crab, guacamole, espresso w/ splash
D: Plan - octopus, chorizo, pig cheeks, plus 1, salad and 2 glasses red wine
Exercise: 30 min weight lifting
Masher
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Daily Check In

Post by masher » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:17 am

9 July Success Day 2

Feeling a wee bit jaded after last night's 2 rather large glasses of wine. Was so hungry by 8.30pm that I drank them too quickly. Bad idea. Still, stuck to No S principles. Will be more mindful tonight as husband and I are meeting friends for drinks and dinner, again. And they eat and drink a lot!

B: Coffee, chicory, and milk
L: plan salad, fish or meat, slice Poilane, espresso
D: Plan 2 drinks max, okra w/ tomatoes, hummous, tabbouli, lamb, moutabal and chicken (Lebanese resto)

Exercise: Pilates class
Note: weight is stable, which is what I want. Tempted to play around with S days, as Friday always does feel like the beginning of the weekend but will resist for now. I want to make No S automatic. No tinkering, no funny stuff for at least a month.
So far, so good.
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 am

10 July Success Day 3
Yesterday was a success despite another dinner out with friends. Had to virtual plate for the second night, which is not ideal but needs must. The night before we ate at a tapas place, and last night we went to a Lebanese place for mezze. More and more restos are serving several small plates of food, which require virtual plating and control. Will stick to one plate at home and be mindful of portions when we eat out. Do not feel that I am overeating and weight is stable.

Today - Happy Friday!
B: coffee, chicory, milk
L: business at a great resto. Plan salad -y first course and meat for main with coffee. Will virtual plate again.
NB - worked out well. Has tiny plate of octopus carpaccio with slice bread and a cheese biscuit to start followed by veal and spinach - also small plate. I did not finish the veal. Left chocolates and mini desserts. Has espresso mac to finish. Was satieted but not full.
D: Long Shakespeare play so will have early one course dins with friend, then tough it out after.

Planning a few treats for weekend. What sounds good? White nectarines, Tulameen raspberries, apricots after lunch or dinner, dark chocolate.....

Masher
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:45 am

11 July Saturday
B: Green tea, plain yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and the ripest, most glorious white nectarine sliced thinly and fanned around my plate. A drop of vanilla and some cinnamon and a few blueberries made this breakfast plate superb. Then my normal coffee, chicory and hot milk.

L: Spinach, bacon and feta fritatta with salad and a slice of Poilane toast. It was scrumptious and with a couple of cherry tomatoes looked so attractive. Then as a treat, had plain yogurt with 2 apricots and a tsp of peche de vigne, then espresso mac. Glorious!

D: Treat was roasted almonds to start. Then celery and carrots dipped in a smoked peppered mackerel and yogurt dip. Split half an Chinese roast duck eaten with lettuce leaves, spring onions and homemade sauce of soy, sesame oli, olive oil and chili. Dessert was some cheesecake from the best local patisserie. Cheesecake was my fav dessert when I was a teenager a v-e-r-y long time ago. My tastes have changed dramatically and I did not enjoy this at all. Yes, it was a perfectly made cheesecake, but it was way too sweet and sickly tasting. Took 3 bites and threw it out. Now I know! Perfectly ripe fresh fruit tastes better to me. Oh my, I sound like Miss Goody Two Shoes.

Exercise was extremely tough Pilates for 1 hour. I will undoubtedly be sore, but I like to push myself once a week or so.

Sunday 12 July

B:Green tea, Cottage cheese and yogurt with vanilla and cinnamon, surrounded by another lovely white nectarine and a few bluebs. Coffee with chicory and milk.

L: In the garden with my husband - divine! Really special lunch from the farmer's market - dressed crab with celery, spring onion, mayo and a big salad with a slice of Poilane toast. One of my favourite lunches in the world. Raspberries with a spoon of yogurt, then espresso and milk.

D: Ate too much. Good bye Miss Goody Two Shoes. Had roasted almonds and wine while I cooked . First course was a warm green bean salad topped with sauteed shallots and goats cheese, which was sublime. Had a large portion too, with some oat biscuits. Husband put a herb stuffed seabass on the BBQ and I cooked rainbow chard to go with. This was a great dinner and would have been perfect IF I had stopped there. But I did not. I bought a brownie from my favourite place earlier. I have not had a brownie since my niece visited over 2 years ago. It was big, it was rich and I ate 1/2 - ugh. 1/4 would have been FINE. Plus, I did not really enjoy it because I had enough to eat before dessert.
Next time - either save room or freeze it! Actually, I think I prefer a square or 2 of Lindt 70% to brownies now anyway.

Exercise: Planned day off. Was very sore - abs, gluts, quads - after yesterday.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Monday 13 July Success Day 4

Feel a bit over fed today but it is not surprising.

Weight session at the gym for 30 Minutes which was excellent; invigorating and I felt strong.
L: Watercress with large piece of leftover spinach, bacon and feta fritatta. Assam tea
D: Plan veal meatballs in tomato mushroom sauce, rainbow chard, some pecorino cheese and 2gl of Chianti. Sl Poilane toast

Listened to some of Reinhard's podcasts over the weekend and found them helpful. Also drifted off to sleep listening to one - will subliminal suggestion help?
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Masher, if Sunday is your S-day, remember you can't mess them up. :) Even if you overeat, it's just feedback.

Your meals really do sound wonderful.

masher

Post by masher » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 am

14 July Tuesday Success Day 5

Grrrrr - woke up at 4.30 this am, brain kicked in and I could not go back to sleep. Weighed and have gained 5 pounds since I started No S on the 29th June. Now I know that weight fluctuates but I have been steadily recording a gain every few days. This 5 lb increase disturbs me as it is about 4% of my body weight. The dietitian in me says that I have increased carbohydrates which also increase fluid retention so relax. The narcisist in me says, my stomach is no longer flat and I gained 5 pounds!

Sensible advice to self: cut back on wine to 1 glass. Keep GREEN and see what happens.

Exercise: Pilates 30 min at 5.30am --arrgghh
B: Cottage cheese, vanilla, blueberries, raspberries, 3 Brazils, 3 pecans, coffee, chicory and milk. Tasty and filling.
L: meeting friend at Japanese resto. Will order special nigiri; plate of sushi but won't have dessert of fresh fruit. Will have to slightly virtual plate by giving one sushi piece away to make space on the plate for tiny serving of veg. Lots of green tea.
D: Guinea fowl terrine with rocket, small slice of leftover fritatta, sauteed mushrooms with fresh thyme, shallots. 1 slice of toast 2 glasses of wine.
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:01 pm

15 July, Wed Success Day 6
Oh dear another early start (4.50am) which is a drag. Still maintaining the 5# weight gain too, also a drag. Skirt is tight as well. Admit am discouraged. I started No S to maintain, not gain. Will go for green and see what happens over the next few days.

L: Watercress, crab stuffed trout, guacamole, Assam with milk

D: Chicken breast with rosemary, grilled broc., sauteed mushrooms with thyme and cheese, slice Poilane with butter, 2 glasses of wine

Exercise: Walked 2 miles
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 pm

You have my sympathy - I really hate insomnia... hope you get through it soon. (What works for you? I listen to podcasts or other soothing audio.)

Masher, don't be discouraged - just stick with it. If you are rebounding a little from deprivation, you may gain a little. However, it's usually self-correcting.

The one thing about No-S is that it makes it abundantly clear where excess sneaks in - which is VERY hard to track if you're doing the kind of grazing most people do. So, relax and give yourself a full month, then re-calibrate as needed. Just don't panic. :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Welcome, I loved reading your background, very interesting.

I will only say, Stay the Course. You can't do wrong if you are doing right.

Your body is trying to hold on to a set point of weight, when you show it that you are going to eat right and exercise - regardless - the weight will drop off.

Berry :wink:

masher

Post by masher » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for your support - Berry and KCCC. It means a lot to me.
Slept 8 hours last night and feel much better. Insomnia is brutal. I listen to podcasts and sleep CDs before I go to bed but falling asleep is not the problem. Falling asleep is easy, but waking up at 4 or so and not going back to sleep is my bete noire. If I listen to CDs then, they do not really help. Part of the problem may be due to daylight. Now it is light by about 4.45am in London. I wear eyeshades and have blackout curtains, but.....somehow my mammalian self detects the light. Do not want to wish summer away because I love it, but I am sure darker mornings help me sleep late. I'll try some mental exercises a Dr gave me and see if they help.

Back to food - For the last 2-3 years I have been at my ideal weight, which is slim - my last doctor's visit showed body fat at 18% and great lab results. I worked hard to get here losing 30 lb. and keeping it off with a range of 5 pounds only.I am in my late, late, late 40's - ok, - I'm 50! I do not snack, I do not eat sweets except on very special occasions, and in general my portion sizes are modest. I have been eating lots of fish, vegetables, yogurt, berries, cottage cheese, eggs and meat with some ryevitas and sourdough bread. My diet has given me the body and health I want. However, it feels a bit restrictive and that is why I came to No S. I do love food. I am hoping that I can be a bit more lenient, without gaining weight. I have been No S'ing since 25 June with one Red day, and have gained 5 pounds and they have held on for the last few days. This bothers me as it is too much on my tiny frame. I do not want these extra inches around my middle. I also have 3 weeks hol in France coming up and do not want to start feeling bloated.

AArrgghhh - what to do?

I'll stick with No S for one month or 21 green days. By then I will know if I really have to go back to my old way of eating to maintain the weight I want. I'll also have 2 wine free nights per week - rats - but it is sensible.If at the end of a month, or 21 perfect greens, I still have these extra pounds, then I will have to go back to restricting what I eat more tightly.
I will continue to walk 2 - 4 miles a day, five days a week (which I do not even record because I always do it), and do Pilates or weight lifting four times per week so no change on the exercise front.

Today: Success Day 7
Exercise: Pilates class - new instructor and TOUGH
L: cottage cheese 200g, yogurt 2T, raspberries, white nectarine YUM ,3 Brazils, 14 almonds, espresso mac
D: TBD salad, lamb or chicken, moutabal, okra with tomatoes, 1 sl Poilane toast, 2 glasses Chianti
Last edited by masher on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 am

Fri 17 July S Day from 6.00pmSuccess Day 8Note: I do No S until 6.00pm on Friday, and then stop my S on Sunday at 6.00pm. Works for me!
Exercise: Weights 30 min
L: Smoked trout & crab (M&S's) guacamole, watercress, espresso mac
D: Salad w/ prawns, rocket, beef, feta, 8 roasted chips. glass Sauv blanc, gl Cab sauv
S: 35g 70% choc, small container of choc ice cream at play

Sat 18 July S Day
B: Coffee, chicory, milk, 2 large sl Poilane toast, butter, raspb, strawberries
L: Salad with lardon, tomatoes, 2 eggs omelette with Halloumi, okra, tomatoes and onions, espresso, milk
S: Almonds at least 25 roasted
D: Fennel, chevre, baguette crust, gl Champagne
Organic sausages, purple beans with butter, gl Cab Sauv
2 sq Lindt 70% choc, fresh mint tea

Sun 19 July
B: coffee, chicory, raw milk from the farm (yum)
L: Salad with fennel, pea shoots, lardon, vinaigrette, chevre omelette, espresso with milk
D: Almonds, 2 Ryevita, chevre, sm chicken breast, roast aubergines and red peppers, 2 martinis
Exercise: 1 hour Pilates with audio tape thanks to KCCC!
Last edited by masher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm

Monday 20 July Success Day 9

Slept well and feel great after 2 mi walk to work

Exercise: 30 min weight training
L: Caesar salad with chicken, bit org bacon, 1/2 avocado
Expresso, with splash
D: TBD roast aubergines, peppers and shallots
Japanese style salmon with soy, spinach, strawberries and raspb
Single Martini

This is all good!
Stopped gaining weight, but want to get back to where I was. Will be mindful.

Masher
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:50 am

Tuesday 21 July
Success 10th Day in a row
B: green tea, coffee, chicory, milk
L: Soy glazed salmon on salad, small sausage, Assam with bit milk
D: Roasted aubergines, peppers, shallots and
feta cheese omelette and braised leeks, lardons, raspberries
Martini x2
Exercise: Planned day off

Lost a pound which means I am finally moving in the right direction.
Slept well last night which makes all the difference to my energy levels.
Notice that serving everything on 1 plate encourages "styling" so it looks attractive! Looks like "spa" cuisine on my plate. Husband very happy with this WOE.
Eating dinner early because I am so hungry but will NOT snack. So.... planning to have lunch later, to see if that helps.
Last edited by masher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:19 am

Wed 22 July b] Success Day 11

B: Green tea, coffee, chicory, milk

Exercise: Pilates, weights 30 min

L: Watercress, spinach salad, 2 fresh figs, free range ham, blue sheep's cheese, few roasted pecans, walnut oil. This is perhaps the best salad I have ever made! Followed by espresso mac. Truly scrumptious and hope it will keep me going until late.

D: Braised veal with tomatoes, mushrooms and onions
Peas with mint, shallots
Bite of sheep cheese, Ryevita
Martini with olives

Hurrah - lost a couple of pounds and skirts fit well again!
After tonight, out to dinner with friends for the next 3 nights, so will be mindful. Sat pm will be FUN - am thinking of home made bread sticks and dark chocolate macaroons. Will hold out.
Last edited by masher on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:48 am

Thursday 23 July Success 16 days in a row (forgot to count S days before)

Up at 4.45am again which increases cortisol and makes me hungry. Make that v hungry. Today will be a real test of will but I want this to be my 16thgreen day in a row. Definitely going for 21 days GREEN.

Dinner is booked with friends at 8.00pm and I will be v v hungry by then. What to do?
- Eat a late lunch; plan to eat at 2.00
- Eat a more nutrient dense lunch, with greater staying power

B: Green tea, 200g cottage cheese, 1/2 white nectarine, raspberries, strawberries, 8 pecans, coffee with chicory and milk. Love the fruit this time of year.

Exercise: Pilates class - tough but good 45 min

L: Rocket with 2 devilled eggs, proscuito, pecans, sheep cheese - great salad, 2 Ryevita, Assam with little milk. A filling and satisfying lunch

D: felt starving at 7.00pm but did not succumb to the siren call of nuts. Put my feet up and relaxed for 20 minutes instead. Dinner started at 8.30.
Cuttlefish, sliced fennel, end of bread, sm portion of roast pork, chard. All excellent and worth waiting for, including 2 glasses of wine. Lovely dinner with friends.

masher

Post by masher » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Friday 24 July
Hurrah - 16 consecutive green days and I lost the few pounds that I gained at the outset earlier this month. Now the idea is MAINTAIN good habits and weight. I feel healthy and trim.

Planning S day from 6.00pm on for Fridays or at least when we go out on Fridays. I know a few others do this as well. My work week is LONG and we frequently meet friends on Friday nights. It feels like the weekend and I want to unwind and relax. I do not mind Sunday being a No S day from 6.00pm on as we generally are in and I am already thinking about the work week.

Today:
Exercise: 1 hour Pilates class which was excellent
L: Rocket salad with avocado, tin of wild salmon, wasabi mayo, 2 Ryevita, pot Assam with milk
D: plan cod cheeks with pea shoots, roast lamb and kohlrabi, 2 glasses of wine, bread crust with butter. Delicious and fun

masher

Post by masher » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:40 pm

Sat 25 July
B: Green tea, coffee, chicory, raw milk
L: Tuna Thai fishcake, chevre on sour dough toast, salad, 1/2 lemon marscapone tart with few berries, espresso mac. Still used one plate - just added the dessert at the end. It was from a great shop in the neighbourhood and I did adore every bite, but half was enough.
D: Thin breadsticks, Gl champagne, cheese biscuit, green bean salad, steak, roast butternut squash with pecans, 1 gl Chianti, 2 mini choc macaroons, 2 pieces dark choc. Yes, the training wheels came off but no great damage. Was at outdoor opera so took picnic. Food was glorious and we all enjoyed everything. Sugar gave me a definite buzz tho - am not used to it.

Sunday 26 July
B: Green tea, coffee, chicory, raw milk
L: Salad, devilled egg, 2 oz beef filet, chevre, Poilane toast 1.5, 2 choc mini macaroons, 1 Lindt square, espresso mac
Exercise: 30 min Pilates with tape (thanks to KCCC!)
Snack: Pecans, almonds, 12 cherries
Start No S again for the week.......
Dinner: Aubergine w/ tomato sauce, basil, feta, 2 Martinis with olives
Rosemary chicken breast, 2 cheese bix, Poilane

Monday 27 July GREEN 20 DAYS w/o red
L: Roast hake w/ clams, courgettes, tomato, runner beans, espresso mac
D: Salad with chicken breast, aubergine half, chevre, Poilane 1 sl, 2 gl white Italian wine
No exercise today - planned day off. Challenge will be to get to dinner without food as lunch with a friend was very light! Could always have tea....
Last edited by masher on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

masher

21st day

Post by masher » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:39 am

Tuesday 28 July Today will be my 21st Day Success

Slept almost 9 hours and feel great, esp after 2 mi walk through the Park. Doing "Creative Visualisation" for sleep and it seems to be working.

Exercise: Weight lifting 30 min
L: rocket, wild salmon, avo, lemon, dev egg, Ryevita
D: roast aubergine with tomato sauce and mozzerella, rare tuna with soy, green beans and shallots, slice Poilane toast, 2 glasses white wine

Really hungry at bedtime. Dinner was predominately vegetables and we ate early, so may have to plan better next time. Drank camomile tea and will plan breakfast tomorrow. Really happy that I made 21 days without a RED.

masher

Hurrah - made 21 days in a row

Post by masher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 am

Wed 29 July Success
Really pleased that I now have 21 days of No S'ing under my belt. It went by so quickly si I know I need to keep daily recording and using the Habitcal. I feel I am learning every day, and I definitely find this board useful for motivation. I leave 18 Aug and want to have habits more ingrained before my vacation in the land of temptation.

What do I like so far?
1.) I am at my target weight, body composition and I feel good
2.) I have added some great foods (whole wheat sourdough toast, muesli, cherries, plums) I had avoided in the past, to my one plate meal, and have really enjoyed them.
3.) S day treats are fabulous and I am figuring out what really satisfies.
4.) This feels like a natural way of eating; not tortured and it is fairly social too. Should also feel appropriate when we are in France as it really is the French way of eating, as long as one 'virtual plates' the 2 courses that are always served.

What do I need to work on?

1.) Eating lunch late enough so I am not totally ravenous by "proper" dinner time. I do not want to be eating at some institutional dinner hour!

2.) A strategy for eating dinners with friends mid week when everyone orders a starter and a main course. This will happen tomorrow. Could either skip the first course or virtual plate as the portion sizes in this restaurant are not large.

3.) Meeting people for drinks, esp. for work, and having a glass of wine. If I drink ANY alcohol on an empty stomach I become REALLY squiffy. So what to do? This is happening tomorrow.

Hmmmm - I may take my first NWS tomorrow.

B: Up at 5.00am so NEEDED food by 8.00am. Assam tea with milk. Had some sugar free Alpen muesli, milk, a strawberry, couple of cherries and a piece of nectarine. Topped it all with some cottage cheese and yogurt, cinnamon and vanilla. Good. Coffee had too much caffeine after the tea so could not finish.
L: spaghetti with clams, espresso at 2.30
D: with friend. Will try to move to earlier time as I know I will be starving after such an early start this am. Grilled squid, duck confit, green beans, lentils, with two 125 ml vino.
Exercise: Planned day off but walked 2 mi

masher

Post by masher » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:46 am

Thurs 30 July 23rd day Success

Exercise:Pilates class
B: rocket, ham, sheep cheese, fig and walnuts, espresso mac
L: nuts, olives, Pinot Grigio = 2 glasses
D: French beans with smoked duck breast slivers, veal chop, spinach, 6 chips, gl Bordeaux

Weighed today and am happily maintaining. Eating spaghetti yesterday DID not cause me to blow up. Also went from 2.30 to 8.00pm without feeling starved and feeble. Hmmmmm - this is good.

Today was a weird food day. No S was a success but 2 glass ceiling was not; a failure for the first time. Mistake. Won't do it again. Should have had fish for dinner then I would not have wanted any red wine.
Last edited by masher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm

KCCC wrote: Masher, don't be discouraged - just stick with it. If you are rebounding a little from deprivation, you may gain a little. However, it's usually self-correcting.

So, relax and give yourself a full month, then re-calibrate as needed. Just don't panic. :)
KCCC - wherever you are - you were right! I stuck to NoS and made sensible choices.
In about 3 weeks or 21 consecutive days on plan I did lose the weight and I am back at the weight I want to maintain. Patience, patience, patience - tough words!

Thanks,
Masher

masher

Post by masher » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 am

Friday 31 July Success

B: green tea, cottage cheese and plain yogurt, a fresh fig, 2 prunes, few blueberries, 4 walnuts, 2 Brazils, cinnamon, coffee w/ chicory and milk

L: with a friend -paella with spinach, end bread stick, espresso mac

Decaf espresso mac when I started to flag....worked well!

D: Caprese salad, pasta amatriciana, 2 gl red wine

Exercise: Planned day off but will walk 2-4 mi

Challenge to not eat between lunch and dins.
Will be a green day!

masher

Post by masher » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 am

Sat 1 August S Day

Exercise: Tough 1 hour Pilates session, with push ups and lots of abs

L: 2 eggs- feta omelette, salad with tomatoes, 1.5 sl poilane toast,
yogurt w/ blueberries 2T lemon curd, espresso mac

D: 3 thin breadsticks, 2 ryevita, chevre, Bellini, braised then roasted fennel, braised veal, petit pois with onions and Baby Gem (fab), 1 gl red, choc mini macaroon w/ 2 sq Lindt.
Did not really like the macaroon - not worth it. All in all a good S day. Went to the new gelato place but they did not have dark choc so I said I would come back tomorrow. Resited any other (inferior!) flavours.

Sunday 2 August

Walked around farmer's market
L: Rocket w/ fresh crab, mayo, 2 sl Poilane, heirloom tomatoes w/ EVOO,
followed by 1 scp dark choc gelato and espresso at new Italian place. Yeah - worth waiting for! Was SO worth it! Had gelato once in the last year or two. This was superb. Even shared some with DH.
S: fresh fig, pecans
D: Pink champagne 1 gl., chevre, roast pepper with tomato, basil and garlic, Grilled seabass w/ rosemary, rainbow chard, gl Ital white wine, raspberries and strawberries with cream, 2 sq Lindt
NB - Should have had EITHER berries or choc - not both. Was a tiny bit over full. Still, fairly successful for a day with "no training wheels".

masher

Post by masher » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 am

Monday 3 August Success

Exercise: Weight lifting 30 min.

L: Rocket, smoked trout stuffed with crab (M&S's), EVOO, bit guacamole, HB egg. Delicious and filling. Assam with milk.
Fading at 4.30 so had decaf espresso mac

D: Half roast red pepper w/ tomato, basil, anchovy
Rainbow chard, veal ragu on spaghetti (indigestion)

No alcohol for next 2 nights. Not that I have had more than 2 glasses per night, but seems sensible to not drink a couple of nights a week, esp if not going out. And with vacation in Bordeaux coming up.
Very happy with HabitCal and going for GREEN.
Weight is fine now.

masher

Post by masher » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 am

Tuesday 4 Aug success

Sore from yesterday's weights; will just walk today

Bad headache - coming down with something?

B: Green tea, coffee w/ chicory and milk, strawberries, raspberries, a prune with a little cottage cheese and vanilla, sl Poilane with butter

L: very late after going home at noon and sleeping for 3 hours. Salad w/ salmon, guac and Ryevita. Back to bed

D: feel ill - just cottage cheese and fruit, red bush tea then bed

masher

Post by masher » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Wed 5 Aug Success 6/21

Feel weak but slept over 8 hours and do need to be at work.

B: Green tea, espresso, milk

L: Buffalo mozz.with avo and roast pepper, halibut with asparagus and butter beans - sounds like a lot but were small pieces and did fit on plate, espresso mac. Assam with milk later

D: tbc - Szechuan chicken salad, smoked salmon sandwich, wine
Last edited by masher on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Masher, hope you're feeling better.
masher wrote:
KCCC wrote: Masher, don't be discouraged - just stick with it. If you are rebounding a little from deprivation, you may gain a little. However, it's usually self-correcting.

So, relax and give yourself a full month, then re-calibrate as needed. Just don't panic. :)
KCCC - wherever you are - you were right! I stuck to NoS and made sensible choices.
In about 3 weeks or 21 consecutive days on plan I did lose the weight and I am back at the weight I want to maintain. Patience, patience, patience - tough words!

Thanks,
Masher
Glad that everything worked out for you! I TOTALLY agree about patience - easy to say, hard to implement.

masher

Post by masher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words and support KCCC. I am feeling much better, and even went to a lunchtime Pilates class today. BTW - I am using the Pilates audio you recommended, on weekends and I think it is excellent!

Thurs 6 Aug Success
B: Green tea, 2 med slices Poilane toast w/ butter, 1/2 a perfectly ripe white nectarine, coffee with chicory and milk. Totally delicious.
L: Large spinach, pom. and watercress salad with ham, blue sheep cheese, fresh fig, few pecans and walnut oil. When figs are ripe this is my fav salad. Espresso mac
Between lunch and dinner was DEEPLY, HORRIBLY HUNGRY!!!...but did not snack. Hurrah! Was grumpy tho.
D: w/ friends at pizza place. Will be mindful of the plate. Will be my first pizza in ages and thanks to No S, I am ready to enjoy it. 2 gl vino too.

Had pizza w/ cheese, proscuitto and rocket - great crust. First pizza in ages and I savoured every bite. Was the last to finish by ages. One friend started to eat MY pizza (shock, horror) but since it was a rather large one, I let him have a slice. Won't sit by him next time. :lol:

masher

Post by masher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:03 am

Happy Friday to Everyone

Friday 7 Aug

Happy with the green squares filling up my HabitCal. I swear that the only thing that kept me from a hand full of almonds yesterday between lunch and dinner was the thought of filling in a red square. The French have their protocol and rigidity regarding No Snacks and I have my HabitCal. Bonne!

Am doing plain vanilla No S, so NOT taking Friday as an S day after 6.00. Experimenting. I eat something on Friday pm that I would not have eaten in the past; like pasta or breaded fish, which is very much No S but feels like a "treat" to me.

B: Coffee, chicory, milk, cottage cheese, white nectarine, fresh fig, vanilla

Exercise: Pilates - advanced class 1 hr

L: Caesar salad, chicken breast, sheep cheese, slice ww sourdough toast, Assam with milk

D: Plan - Haddock in breadcrumbs(shock), peas with lettuce, shallots and butter, spinach, 2 gl Macon.

Thinking through some S foods that would be REAL treats for the weekend; raspberries with cream and creme de mure, roast nectarines, gelato, Lindt choc.
Yes!

Was v pleased that weight stayed the same, where I want it to be, despite pasta twice this week and pizza last night. The habits are building.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am

Sat 8 Aug

B: Green tea, Coffee, chicory, milk
L: w/ friends - Grilled salmon w/ avo salsa, roast aubergine w/ preserved lemon and saffron yogurt, green beans w/ tahini dressing, roast butternut squash w/onion confit and nuts, espresso mac. Small amounts of each - even fit on one plate, and all delicious!
Snack before film: ww sourdough toast, chevre, lettuce, sip wine
D: Roast chicken breast, grilled broc., peas with lettuce, ww sourdough w/ brebis, 2 gl red wine, dessert was meringue with berries, yogurt, ricotta and creme de mure.

Quite a bit of food but ate slowly, enjoyed.

Sun 9 Aug

B: Green tea, Coffee, chicory, milk
L: Feta omelette, 1 sl proscuitto, tomatoes, rocket salad, ww baguette 4", Dessert was plum, rasp, ricotta mix w/ peche de vigne, espresso and 2 salted caramel chocs, sq Lindt
S: Mango cookie (dull), pecans, dried apricots and mini meringue, Assam
D: Chevre, toast, White wine, then rosemary seabass on grill, spinach, roast aubergine w/ marinara sauce, mini meringue, Lindt choc, almonds

Looks like A LOT of food when written down. Did not feel over full. Liked everything except mango cookie.
Overall, successful S days

Monday 10 August Success 11/21 days

B: green tea, ricotta with plum, rasp and blueberries, pecans, then coffee, chicory and milk. Very filling and tasty. Chose ricotta over yogurt as have cut out even stevia as a sweetner so yogurt tastes too tart.
Exercise: Weights
L: salad, 1 HB egg, smoked trout w/ crab, espresso mac
D: early, pre-ballet - tuna steak, salsa, butternut squash, gl Macon
Keeping to 2 drinks will be challenge with my drinking friends.... did not quite make it, as could not resist 2 gl champagne, over 2 intervals and 3+ hours

masher

Post by masher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 am

Tues 11 August Success

Really pleased that I stuck with just one plate last night. I feel great, my habits are sticking and the scale is right where it should be. My diet is more varied and more fun than it has been for the past 2 years. Result! Must keep on track when travelling tho - much more of a challenge.

B: Green tea, slice Poilane toast, butter, yogurt with plum, walnuts and cinnamon, coffee with milk

Exercise: Pilates, ab work

L: Salad, ham, blue sheep cheese, plums, walnuts, espresso mac

V-8 as was v v hungry at 7.00pm

D: Baked aubergine w/ tomato, basil and buffala mozz., duck terrine, salad, toast, haddock. Gl wine 2. Nice dins in the garden for a change. Finished with red bush tea.

masher

Post by masher » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:13 am

Wed 12 August 13/21 days Success

B: Green tea, yogurt w/ raspberries, plum + sl Poilane w/ butter, coffee, chicory and milk

L: at bistro w/ friend- John Dory, potato, fennel, peas, sl ww bread, espresso mac

Exercise: planned day off so no Pilates or gym but walked 2 mi

5.00 FEEL LIKE EATING, FEEL LIKE EATING, FEEL LIKE EATING...............
aarrgghhh......but will not put a RED square in my habitcal. Had some V-8

D: w/ friends. Octopus, tomato, rocket, beef, tiny bit zucchini, ww bread bite, olive oil, white wine, Sangiovese (total about 325ml).

Love Reinhard's idea of planning all vacation days to be either green or yellow! How liberating.
Ready for a holiday!

masher

Post by masher » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 am

13 Aug Thursday Success

Slept so well last night and it makes a great deal of difference to my energy levels. Took Bach flower remedies for sleep. Don't know if my sleeping better was a coincidence.... but will continue the drops.

B: Green tea, Ricotta, yogurt, raspberries, plum, + coffee, chicory, milk

Exercise: Pilates class- new teacher, Portugese dancer, who was tough

L: Rocket, olive oil, smoked salmon, cream cheese, 3 ryevita, plum, espresso mac. Yum

D: drinks w/ a friend. Will have V-8 first. Then roast aubergine, pasta with pork + fennel ragu. Red wine 1 gl, white wine 1 gl. Probably stacked a bit too much pasta, but felt ok.
Last edited by masher on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masher

Post by masher » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Friday 14 Aug 15/21 days

Bach flower remedies for sleep seem to be working, so will keep taking the drops.

B: Green tea, Poilane toast 1 sl, butter, coffee/chicory/milk. Toast for breakfast still feels v naughty after so many years of low carb. I do enjoy every bite, every nibble, every crumb.

Exercise: Pilate 1 hr class. Received one of the best compliments EVER today. Cannot really tell anyone because it sounds like I am bragging WAY TOO MUCH but I can record it here can't I? The Pilates instructor (a new one) asked me how long I have been a DANCER!!?? I am not a dancer at all; just take some ballet classes for "women of a certain age". But I am pretty strong, lean and fit. It was music to my ears and I think I am still smiling inside. As a former pudgie, I never thought anyone would ever mistake me for a dancer. It is great motivation (along with the HabitCal) to keep up my exercise, even on holiday.

L: Rocket/chard salad w/ ham, blue sheep cheese, pecans, walnut oil, 1 fig, 1 sm plum, espresso mac

D: V-8 maybe. Spiced baked aubergine with preserved lemons, seared tuna, grilled broc w/ garlic, chevre w/ ryevita, (This sounds like a BIG plate...will watch it) wine - 2 gl

Come on S days! Going to a big party on Sat and will enjoy it. Thinking of dark chocolate, several small courses, maybe a fresh fruit dessert....

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm

masher wrote: Received one of the best compliments EVER today. Cannot really tell anyone because it sounds like I am bragging WAY TOO MUCH but I can record it here can't I? The Pilates instructor (a new one) asked me how long I have been a DANCER!!?? I am not a dancer at all; just take some ballet classes for "women of a certain age". But I am pretty strong, lean and fit. It was music to my ears and I think I am still smiling inside. As a former pudgie, I never thought anyone would ever mistake me for a dancer. It is great motivation (along with the HabitCal) to keep up my exercise, even on holiday.
Woo-hoo! Go, Masher! That's a great compliment!

And I'm still envious of your meals, especially since I'm not loving mine at the moment. Too many work functions that don't have the selection I'd like, quickie meals at home, or grab-and-go somewhere. Will work on that. Your food choices sound so delish - if I'm ever in England again, we must go to dinner somewhere!
Last edited by kccc on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 am

Sat 15 August

Too much wine at a 4 hour lunch party, then too much food. Sl stressed and overdid. I never would have eaten so much had I not had too much wine. Seeing this written in black and white makes this connection all too clear. First S day gone mad....

B: Green tea, then Ricotta w/ plum, berries, coffee/ chicory and milk

L: Champagne, shrimp dim sum, bites salmon in pastry cases, then seared tuna with leaves, rack of lamb w/ roast peppers, greens, berry souffle with ice cream, choc covered strawberries (this is getting embarassing) plus other wines throughout lunch....

D: Hard to believe, but we felt like dinner! Overstimulated appetites. Wine causing blood sugar to plummet. Silly, silly, silly. Salad, ww sour dough toast, chevre, lots of almonds, Lindt choc, yes - another glass of wine. This is not what a slim Parisienne would do.

MARK IT AND MOVE ON!

Sun 16 Aug

B: Green tea, Ricotta with yogurt, plum, strawberries, coffee chicory and milk. Feel jaded, so went for a walk.
L: Mushroom tart w/ salad, yogurt w/ nectarine compote and granola (this IS dessert), espresso mac, LOTS of water
S: celery, cukes, chevre, 3 ryevita
D: cod cheeks w/ peashoots and bacon, lots of bread w/ butter, gl Roquefort white wine, guinea fowl w/ girolle and braised celery, gl rioja.
3 Lindt squares w/ 2 amaretti biscuits

Monday 17 Aug
Almost glad it is a NoS day as I feel overfed.

B: Green tea, ricotta w/ a bit of yogurt, plum and berries, 4 walnuts, coffee w/ chicory and milk

Exercise: Gym, Pilates

L: Craving volume so ...big salad w/ watercress, 3/4 avocado, chili prawns, slice ww sourdough toast, 2 sm plums, Assam & milk

D: Feta cheese omelette, spinach, tomatoes, toast, maybe back bacon.

Packing tonight to go away for 15 days, so this will be my last check in for a while. I will not have internet access in the wilds of France. Am taking my tiny magic markers so I can fill in my HabitCal. :lol: I think all days will be green or yellow, per Reinhard's suggestion for vacations. Will also exercise every day.
Post trip note:
Yes, I did exercise every day. Usually Pilates for 30 min plus walking. For the last week we walked over an hour on the beach every day which was lovely. Ate lunch and dinner every day with 2 courses usually. No snacking ever. Did have desserts every 3-4 days or so, when they looked great. They always were too but we were in France either eating at freinds or in excellent restos, so no surprise. Drank about 1/2 to a bottle of wine a day too; spread over long lunches and dinners. Gained NO WEIGHT. Love the French way of eating.
Last edited by masher on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masher

Post by masher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:22 pm

KCCC wrote:
And I'm still envious of your meals, especially since I'm not loving mine at the moment. Too many work functions that don't have the selection I'd like, quickie meals at home, or grab-and-go somewhere. Will work on that. Your food choices sound so delish - if I'm ever in England again, we must go to dinner somewhere!
I am v lucky right now because I have been able to plan almost every meal, but this will sadly change when I return from France and work escalates. I also have the flagship M&S near my office and a good farmer's market on my doorstep so fabulous choices and I DO LOVE TO EAT.
Work functions with poor choices are the toughest, if you ask me. I always just did the best I could, and did not beat myself up too much. Be kind to yourself. Your running schedule is onerous enough!
Would love to meet you in London for some great food - just let me know when....
Masher

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:00 am

Enjoy your vacation! :)

And someday, I'll make it to London again (but probably not soon, alas!) and you can be sure I'll let you know when I'm coming so you can pick the restaurant!

masher

Post by masher » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:43 pm

3 Sept No S Day Success

I'm back and I am happy! After 15 days in France I returned without weight gain. Not one single pound. Hurrah. I chose to have every day as a "yellow" but followed the French way of eating so no snacks --- ever. I had a few desserts but only if we were at a special restaurant and they looked REALLY good. One night did OD on chocolate, waking up at 2 am with a pounding head and insomnia. Otherwise, I was usually sensible with all of my S days. The French portion sizes are reasonable.

Also exercised every day, which I am sure helped my appetite. Walked an hour most days and did 30 min Pilates every day but 2. Stopped doing food journaling too, for the first time in 8 years....hmmmm. May just use HabitCal for recording in future. Weaning myself off of journaling has been easier due to having a holiday I think.

Today
B: Green tea, Ricotta, tangerine, few walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, coffee, chicory and milk
L: Steamed leeks, broc and greens, leftover lamb loin, Blue Velvet Sheep cheese, ryevita,fresh fig
Dinner: Chicken breast with white wine, cream and thyme, sauteed mushrooms w/ shallots, spinach w/ butter and shallots, 3 figs, almonds, wine

Nice to be back, and even nice to have a NoS day.
Last edited by masher on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! :)

masher

Post by masher » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Friday 4 Sept

B: green tea, ricotta w/ tangerine, prune, walnuts, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee w/ milk
Exercise: 30 min weight training
L: Omelette w/ ham, cheese, mushrooms, salad, bit of a roll, espresso mac
D: Confit de canard, spinach, flageolet with thyme& shallots, baguette bite, maybe cheese, wine 2 gl

Tomorrow is an S day so looking forward to two courses for dinner and maybe splitting a dessert w/ my cousin and husband