Harmony's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:36 pm

The past two days have been a little off, but it has just been a temporary thing. I will be back on track today. Unfortunately, I cannot claim a pop free week this time, but I think I have all of my Christmas shopping done! I think I am catching a bit of what my kids had (the flu!). If I am lucky it will just be a mild version, and if it's going to happen, I would rather it happen now before Christmas gets here!

I think I am most disappointed in myself when it comes to exercise. Now that my Tai Chi class is no longer meeting, I have been lazy about ANY kind of exercise. I plan for it, but it never happens. I suspect lack of exercise has been a factor in those few pounds I gained this last month (along with not following No-S).

So, my plan for today is to keep busy. I am going to turn off my computer right after I finish this post and I will work on getting my house in order just incase I do get hit hard with this sickness.

So, I am off!
Last edited by harmony on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:26 am

I did get a cold, but nothing as rough as what my kids had, so I am lucky. I was obviously not too sick, because I totally rearranged my living room yesterday! After I was done and took the time to sit down on my sofa, I realized that I no longer had a direct view of my kitchen. I am hoping that this will help keep me from thinking about food all of the time. I guess I will find out...

I am getting excited about Christmas. I am trying to plan a yummy meal for Christmas Eve with just me and the kids. It will involve a decadent dessert. That is as far as I have gotten. haha.

This will be the first year since my son was born that I am not making cookies for Christmas. The strange thing is, no one seems to mind! My MIL went to a cookie baking party, so she is all set for Christmas (I usually supplied the cookies). The truth is, most of the cookies I baked never made it to Christmas anyway :oops: . lol.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:10 am

Things have been going well. I must have been holding on to a lot of water weight because all of a sudden the other morning I dropped 5 pounds. I am almost back to the weight I was before my husband came home on leave. I have been averaging about 2 meals a day - a big, late breakfast and dinner at about 5:30. I found some really tasty, high-fiber recipes for muffins and waffles that I have been testing out for breakfast. I am taking a break from new recipes for the next few days, but I think I will get back into it after Friday.

I am feeling pretty organized for Christmas for once. The house is in good shape and getting better as I keep working on it little by little. I had all sorts of plans for fancy foods like waffle breakfasts and coffee cakes using raised dough, but I decided that it was more important for me to continue with keeping up with my house cleaning instead of messing up the kitchen this year. My kids are happier with Cinnamon Toast Crunch anyway. :roll: So instead, we will decorate cookies and make ornaments tomorrow and perhaps play in the snowstorm and do fun things that my kids really enjoy. I am making an easy recipe for boiled meatballs (and gravy) with mashed potatoes and green beans. I have a cherry cream jello dessert. So, the colors of green and red are both represented in the meal. lol.

Well, it is time for me to do a little more cleaning. Merry Christmas to anyone who reads this!

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 am

Well, I think I survived Christmas break. I didn't pay close attention to what I was or wasn't eating. I do know that I had a couple of chocolates a day since Christmas (my FIL gave me a huge box of them for a present). I have hid the box away so it will not be bothering me this week. :D

Something really cool happened this break. I was able to easily get my kids away from drinking exclusively juice to drinking mostly water with the occasional glass of milk. I did not expect it to go this well! My daughter asks for a glass of water! My son even agreed to take a water bottle to school with him (too much milk doesn't agree with him so we save milk for enjoying at home). All I did was tell them that I wasn't going to buy anymore juice after the current juice was gone and I explained a few of my reasons -better behavior for my daughter (my son liked the sound of that), the fact that a lot of it got wasted and it was expensive, etc. ) I have done quite well myself - though I tend to drink too much black coffee at times. I had a can of Pepsi on Christmas day and a bottle of Coke on New Years' Eve. Last year I was drinking up to 6 cans a day! It helps that I am limiting my kids' sugary drinks because I would not get away with drinking them myself in their presence!

So, for January my goals (besides getting back to No-S) are to keep going with saving juice and pop for special occasions and to keep going with my house cleaning schedule. It was hard to keep up with everything during vacation. I did OK before Christmas, but all of the extra goods we came home with for the kids kind of threw me off. So, I do hope that I have the energy to tackle the question of where to put it all this coming week! I took down the Christmas tree tonight and I feel better already.

It's funny how much I thought about the meaning of moderation this holiday season. More is definitely not better. My most recent realization came on New Years' Eve. When I was a kid and VCR's were still pretty new, we spent New Years eating pizza (which we ordered maybe once a month and only because my mom worked there!) and watching movies. Well, I tried that this year. It doesn't really seem special when you order pizza once a week and watch movies every day. I was quite disappointed. Now I suppose some might decide that it is time to find a new tradition, but I am thinking backwards. I think perhaps less pizza and movies might do the trick. I also remember being so excited about Saturday cartoons. Now you can watch cartoons 24 hours a day. Saturday isn't very special anymore. Too bad we just bought a new TV. I think if our anti-juice campaign goes well this month, I might consider figuring out a way to limit TV use. It will be hard, but I then again I thought this juice thing would be impossible!

Pizza once a week will probably stay for a while, but I do hope to make more homemade ones. Then having one delivered can still be special. Also, when I make my own pizza I can't have a 2L of pop delivered to my door!

So I guess my No-S habit is still a little rough, but I am doing well with so many other areas. Even if I still have trouble with food, the idea that moderation is a good thing to work for has really taken hold and I finally feel like I am able to change other areas of my life that seemed impossible not too long ago. I hope someone starts up a moderation movement! (Well, I guess that is kind of what this site is.! lol.)

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:56 am

Today, the cleaning went well. I did all but one thing on my list and that was vacuum the couch. It seemed like there was always someone sitting or laying on it! I've decided that if I keep up the cleaning through the rest of January, I will reward myself with a new pair of PJ pants.

I managed well for No-S too. I didn't snack until after supper. I had bread and some lentils I made up for tomorrow. I also had 3 cups of hot cocoa throughout the day. I only have one packet of hot cocoa mix left and I don't plan on buying anymore.

Today for meals.

Breakfast: one fried egg and toast (using homemade bread)

Lunch: tuna salad on homemade bread, carrot sticks and dip, canned pears.

Dinner: Pasta skillet dinner with hamburger and tomato sauce, corn, bread and butter, pickle.

Dinner tomorrow? Maybe soup and bread. I might make a kid friendly Minestrone.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 am

This week did not go as expected. I ended up getting sick on Tuesday night, tried to ignore it on Wednesday, and spent Thursday sleeping as much as possible. Amazingly enough, I made homemade bread twice (a total of 4 loaves), but the cleaning did not happen as expected. I feel pretty good today. So, no excuses for not cleaning (except it's the weekend. haha).

No-S went well.
Monday - Fail (I had originally written success, but I just read my previous post which pretty clearly stated that I had lentils after dinner. My memory is failing! Makes me wonder about all those other days... haha)
Tuesday - SUCCESS
Wednesday - Sick Day
Thursday - Sick Day (but still a SUCCESS)
Friday - SUCCESS (I still start my weekend on Friday night and end Sunday afternoon)

Whether it was the sick days or just the result of a pretty successful week, my weight did go down.
Last edited by harmony on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 am

Today I had two small slices of French bread that I had made. Other than that, I was able to stick to 3 meals.

I also checked off all of my chore list for the day. I didn't want to work on the house today, and I ended up finishing a lot of it after dinner. I gave myself permission to do it all out of order. Sometimes I tackled the stuff that bugged me most, and other times I just chose something that was quick and easy. It wasn't about being efficient today, it was just about doing something besides sit and feel overwhelmed by everything I was behind on. I didn't even plan on finishing my list, but pretty soon I was down to 2 easy chores so I said "why not?" and just did them. I hope that now I am a bit more caught up that tomorrow can be back to my normal routine again.

I have a pretty boring week ahead. I am glad for that because I can use it to get back into keeping up with my cleaning goals. I am pretty uninspired when it comes to food lately. I am trying hard not to just eat junk. This is the time where I usually settle for frozen pizza and the other prepared meals. Instead, I plan on just making the same old boring standbys. Spaghetti, soup, breakfast for dinner, etc... The kids will probably love it. lol.

I have been making bread. I could live off of bread. If it weren't for the kids I probably would be attempting that right now. haha. I found a decent whole wheat bread (half whole wheat, actually), and a French baguette recipe (from French Women Don't Get Fat) that I really like. Both recipes only involve on rising before you form the loaves, so they are pretty quick as far as yeast bread goes. I wouldn't mind having bread making as my new hobby. So, I will clean the house and make bread this week. :D

I still have a juice/pop free home. We had some this weekend. I ordered some with our pizza on Friday and we had some when we ate out after going to the movie theater on Saturday. But the week is all water, milk, coffee, and tea. Since being sick last week, I have been making an effort to drink more water than anything else. I don't want to jinx it, but I will dare to say that I may have broken the stress/pop connection. Miracles do happen!

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 am

January Goals:
1. Keep following cleaning routine
2. Save sugary drinks for special occasions like eating out or going to the movies (this one applies to the kids too).

Cleaning: I was able to easily finish all of my daily chores and most of the extra ones. Again, the chore skipped involved the vacuum and picking up toys off of the floor.

Sugary drinks: I had two occasions where I could have had pop and didn't. I was amazed at how easy it was to order water at Subway today. My daughter was satisfied with juice (usually she begs for pop) and the whole time we were eating she kept begging me for drinks of my water!

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 am

Something has kicked in lately. I have decided that it is time to lose weight. I have had 2 days of SUCCESS without even thinking about it. I have also added exercise to my day. I have gone a little crazy, but I am sure that will level off.

So, I am planning my February goals.

1. Keep cleaning!
2. Drink water
3. Exercise 5-6 days a week

My way of exercising is pretty easy. I did find a "game" on the Wii that is pretty fun and gets my heart rate up a little. I also got WiiFIt Plus, which I must say is pretty fun. My son even plays it and he wanted nothing to do with the original WiiFit. I really like the cycling game.

SO, I figure until the novelty wears off, I will get some extra exercise. :D

I am also going to try to make a commitment to keep Friday an N-day. Since school started, I have treated it as an S-day starting at dinner. And, I have had a lot of trouble keeping with No-S since I started that practice. So, as much as I have enjoyed crazy Friday nights, I think I need to change back and re-commit to vanilla No-S (with exercise).

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I had two solid SUCCESS days last week. The other days weren't far off, but they weren't spot on either (darn cookies). I exercised 3 days last week as well. I was so busy on Saturday that I didn't eat much until dinner.

The scale has gone down, so perhaps I'm on the right track. I have been hovering around 170 lbs for a long time now. My hope is that I can get into the 160's for more than two days!

So, I hope to get in 3 solidly green days this week, and exercise at least 3 days again this week. I have been doing mostly cardio stuff and Tai Chi, but I would like to strengthen up my arms some too. Shovelglove would be perfect for that, wouldn't it? But for now, I will stick to pushups and small weights. I am a weakling when it comes to upper body strength. haha.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 am

Monday was a SUCCESS!

Exercise: Yes! Tai Chi class

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 am

Tuesday - SUCCESS

Though I missed lunch so I didn't get in 3 meals. I am pretty sure that despite the fact that I kept to one plate, I made up for that missed lunch. haha.

I have not exercised yet, but I plan to do some Wii stuff and some Tai Chi later on after the kids are in bed. I am definitely a night owl.

My weight was up a little this morning. The strange thing is that this is usual for after going to my 1+ hour long Tai Chi class. I don't eat differently than any other day. At least I recognized the pattern. I know it's not because I am doing something unhealthy at least. It is still strange. :?

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 am

I just have to keep from snacking before bed and I have another SUCCESS!
I had originally planned on seeing a friend today which usually means I cave in and eat whatever is offered. But, the plans fell through so instead I get to claim another green day!

I did exercise last night. I logged in about 45 minutes of actual exercise, but it is Wii exercise so I am not sure if it is ever as intense as traditional exercise. Every little bit counts, I think. I hope to do more tonight. I mentioned that I want to work on upper body strength. I haven't taken the time to decide what exercises to do yet. I should start thinking about that. Whatever it is will be pretty basic. Meanwhile, I have been doing a cardio boxing kind of exercise and I can really feel it working my mid section. I just might get my waist back!

I am a little disappointed in myself when it comes to cleaning. I have let my routines fall apart. It seems that I force myself to choose between using energy to clean or using energy on diet and exercise (in this case, No-S). I still try to do some chores everyday, but I don't do as much as I would like.

I am so tired of winter right now!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 am

My son had a goal ceremony in his class that we went to. I took him to DQ afterwards (I really wasn't in the mood to go home yet). I had a small hot fudge sundae. Other than that, I had three meals, no seconds, no snacks, and no sugary drinks.

I never did exercise last night. Tonight I have a better opportunity - assuming I don't drift off to sleep before I get a chance.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:05 am

No-S went well this week! With the exception of Thursday, I was able to stick to it. I had 4 days of SUCCESS! Exercise wasn't as successful. But, maybe next week...

I am really enjoying my S-days!

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

I weighed 170 this morning! I won't get too excited until I see 170 on a normal basis, but I am glad that I have been hovering closer and closer to it lately.

So, for this week...

At least 3 days of vanilla No-S
Try for 3 days of exercise (14 minutes)
Figure out some easy strength exercises

I have been really good at staying away from sugared drinks during the week, so I am not going to include that as my goal. I am also going to get back into cleaning again too - at my own pace.

Some exciting non-related news... it took a while, but we finally have a hand-tamed parakeet. We got our budgie right before school started this year. We let her out of her cage this weekend and she spent her time sitting on our shoulders (like pirates - ARRGH), perched on our finger, and preening our hair. It was the best part of the whole weekend.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:13 am

Monday
No-S: Success
Exercise:? It doesn't seem likely, but sometimes I surprise myself.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 am

Tuesday

No-S: not quite. I had some pudding after dinner.

Exercise: It looks promising tonight. I didn't do any last night.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 am

Wednesday

No-S: SUCCESS my dinner plate was pretty full :shock:
Exercise: I did some weights yesterday. Tonight I clean my house.

There has been a lot of stress this month. It seems to be harder to exercise, but No-S is starting to feel like more of a regular thing again. I'll take it.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 am

Thursday:

No-S: Nope. I met with my friend today. I don't think I ate more than usual, but I have no way to prove it. haha.

Exercise: I am not planning to exercise tonight, but I did a round of stretches and Tai Chi last night after I finished cleaning. I guess having a clear floor was inspiring. :)

My weight seems to always be all over the place so I can't pinpoint an exact weight, but the average has gone down a pound or two since the end of January. Yeah!

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

I had a terrible cold all of last week. My appetite was almost nil. It was interesting to stop halfway through a meal and have absolutely no desire to continue eating. My appetite is back now, my cold is slowly going away. I feel closer to human now than before.

I weigh 170 lb. fully dressed, which means that I am technically weighing in the high 160's (in winter I average about 2 lb. of clothing). So assuming I keep eating sensibly, I might be able to stay in the 160's.

No-S is going really well today.

Breakfast: a packet of Cinnamon Spice oatmeal

Lunch: egg salad sandwich, vegetable beef soup, one piece of bread with blackberry jam.

Dinner: cheeseburger and potato chips

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 am

I gave myself an official weigh-in this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that I weighed in at 167 lbs. The exciting thing about this is that I have been unable to get below 169 lbs. for a very, very, very long time. I would always panic in a way and start eating more. So, I am hoping I can stay in the 160's for a while (at least until I get to the 150's. haha.)

I have been doing OK this week. I have my appetite back, but I am finding that I am able to stop eating and leave food on my plate. I hope this is a habit that I can maintain. It was how I ate until one day in my early 20's I decided to become adult-like and finish the last bites on my plate that I always left (I rarely ever finished a sandwich. I always left a couple bites.)

So I am pretty happy about the direction my eating habits are going, but I am far from perfect when it comes to No-S. I have had the occasional glass of Kool-aid with dinner and I have had the occasional sweet on a weekday night. No-S is still my daily goal. I am thrilled that I can maintain and even lose weight while eating normal food. And even though I haven't lost much in the 7 months I have known about No-S (I certainly can't say I have been very faithful to the diet either), the way I eat now is dramatically different to how I ate before. The way I think of food is quite different. And when I actually follow the guidelines for No-S, I do lose weight (and inches).

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm back. I admit that I took a little break and enjoyed snacking for a couple of weeks. I also tried eating "healthier". Now I have my senses back (and my husband) and I miss not having to worry about having healthy food all of the time. I miss just being able to enjoy eating what is available and is offered. So, No-S it is!

This is a pretty easy time of year for me to work on habits, so I am going to officially make a fresh start and perhaps start up my Habitcal again. There were a couple of "healthy" habits that I saw some good results with, so I hope to keep those in my routine. Drinking water or herbal tea as my main beverage is the main one. I can now do pushups without having my wrist hurt. I think I was incredibly dehydrated before. The other addition is putting flaxseed meal into my oatmeal in the morning. Actually, there might be quite a few things that I keep from this last adventure in dieting. I just won't keep the diet. haha.

I also started exercising. I found a basic plan online that was free. Since my husband is in the military, I thought that I would challenge myself to see if I could work my fitness up to the level where I could pass the PT test according to the standards for a woman my age. So, I found a site where a man named Stew Smith has set up workouts for all levels including mine (very much a beginner) and I somehow found a free download for an older version of his beginner workout. So, that is what I am aiming for. His dietary advice is the usual 6 small meals a day, but the workout plan is exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't call for any exercise equipment beyond some hand weights and good shoes (which I have both).

Today I Urban Rangered it to the nearest thrift store which is about a mile away. I found myself another Betty Crocker Cookbook from 1965. I am not sure how often I will use it. It is one of the more exotic (in a scary 1960's sort of way) cookbook and it uses a lot of cream soups which doesn't work great when you have people with dairy issues. It was fun to look through and see what what considered cookbook worthy back then.

Oh, I am still weighing in at around 167 lbs on a good day.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 pm

It seems that I have an extra challenge that I must figure out. Most of the duration that I have been No-S ing (or at least thinking about No-S ing), I have been pretty much in charge of what comes into the house. Now, my husband is home and I am dealing with all sorts of crazy stuff - like him bringing home a bag of mini Hershey bars last night. Actually, I would have been fine, but my son offered me one and I didn't have the heart to say no. So, I may have to remind my husband what I'm trying for and also remind him that he is not obligated in any way to buy the kids giant bags of candy every time he takes them out shopping!

So, I have 2 red days. Yesterday was candy and potato chips. Today I missed breakfast and had pop while out shopping. I did get my exercise in today and I am planning on doing my scheduled exercise later on tonight. I am near completing my second week of formal exercise!

Tomorrow is a new day AND a new month. :D

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:05 pm

April 1: RED. I did well until dinner. I had trouble sticking to one plate of food. Somehow, hot dogs have become something I feel the need to eat in excess. After that, I stayed up late and ended up finishing an apple I had cut a piece off for my daughter. Then it was more potato chips, probable a couple of chocolates, and the grand finale was succumbing to one of the cans of Mountain Dews that my husband had brought home. Luckily, everything closes early where we live, or my husband would have ordered pizza!!! Things should settle down soon. We are still in celebration/adjustment mode from my husband FINALLY being able to be home for more than 2-3 weeks. And to give the guy some slack, I really haven't been upfront with how I am trying to limit treats. I have told him about No-S a while back, but I am not sure how much he actually listen to what I told him. hahaha.

April 2: I am making a deal with myself today. I started out this morning guiltily helping myself to some of those mini chocolates my family brought home the other night. So, technically, I started the day off RED. But, I am going to allow myself to start fresh for the day and see if I can successfully finish the day GREEN. If so, I will mark today green and feel good about it.

I woke up late (we were up waaaay too late playing Rockband last night) so my day is starting with lunch.

Meal 1: Almond butter/ apple butter sandwich with carrot sticks and potato chips. 2 cups coffee.

Meal 2: Leftovers: meatloaf, green beans, baked potato with butter and sour cream; Egyptian Licorice Tea

Meal 3: pizza. water. (i resisted the pop!!!)

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Monday April 5

Breakfast: oatmeal with flax seed meal, brown sugar, milk; coffee

Lunch: summer sausage and cream cheese sandwich with lettuce (on whole wheat bread), baby carrots, potato chips; water

Dinner: hamburger with blue cheese dressing, lettuce, and red onion; cucumber salad, Doritos; Egyptian Licorice tea.

I was tempted at dinner to have an extra burger, more chips, and a can of pop. It was offered, but I simply said that I was just eating one plateful of food for each meal. So, I cleared my plate from the table before I could consider giving in to temptation and made myself the licorice tea which helps with the sweet craving. I would say I had quite the SUCCESS! I have yet to get through the night, but I am reminding myself that I can have a big glass of milk if need be. I should be fine. :)

Exercise:
17 minutes WiiFit cardio
50 crunches
Shoulder routine
25 minute walk (3,000 steps)
Full body stretch

(when I recommitted, I promised myself that if I got too hungry in the evening I could have something small to help me fall asleep. I had a terrible time with insomnia back when I first started which I associated with being hungry, and the memory of it was uncomfortable enough to make me scared to recommit. Last night I had one piece of bread with almond butter and homemade wild grape jelly.)

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Tues April 6

Breakfast- oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, milk; coffee

Lunch - I went to a new restaurant in town and ordered the salad bar and soup. Well, the salad bar had the absolute best tasting red peppers and red onions I have ever had. I forgot about my one plate rule until I was halfway through my second plate of salad. Oops. I am disappointed that I broke the one plate rule, but I am glad I did it for vegetables and not junk. I still ate more than I needed. I did drink water.

Dinner -probably beef mac skillet with broccoli and garlic bread. I am so full from lunch, thinking about dinner isn't even fun.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm

April 8

I have been doing AWESOME at getting exercise, but I am rebelling when it comes to only eating 3 meals. The stress induced snack monster is in full force. I will keep making an effort though.

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 pm

I was angry this afternoon, so I went for a walk. I put money in my pocket so I could comfort myself with a treat. I started walking towards the farthest grocery store (I live between 2 local stores within walking distance). As I walked I talked it through in my head. I thought about what I would get. I thought about how I really shouldn't be doing this. I thought about what we were having for dinner and how I was looking forward to it. I thought about how if I eat something now, I won't enjoy my dinner as much as I would if I let myself get hungry. Then I started to walk just for the sake of walking and letting off steam. I'm getting there.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Ya! That's fantastic!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 pm

harmony wrote:I was angry this afternoon, so I went for a walk. I put money in my pocket so I could comfort myself with a treat. I started walking towards the farthest grocery store (I live between 2 local stores within walking distance). As I walked I talked it through in my head. I thought about what I would get. I thought about how I really shouldn't be doing this. I thought about what we were having for dinner and how I was looking forward to it. I thought about how if I eat something now, I won't enjoy my dinner as much as I would if I let myself get hungry. Then I started to walk just for the sake of walking and letting off steam. I'm getting there.
Way to go!!! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 am

Breakfast: bagel with cream cheese, banana, (frosted cookie), coffee

Lunch: 1 1/2 tacos from the deli

Dinner: beef stew, garlic bread, lemonade, (the last frosted cookie)

At least the cookies are gone now. haha.

I have been dabbling in T-Tapp, so I did a few exercises from the site.
I also walked to the grocery store with my daughter (whose 3). It took a while because the worms were out from the recent rain. haha. Now that she is too big for the stroller, I've lost my way to haul home heavy groceries. So, I got out the backpack. It works great for hauling those big bags of potatoes, and still having hands free to make sure that my daughter stays out of traffic! Plus I can take my time walking (and looking at worms or ants or flowers) without my fingers feeling like they are falling off from the heavy grocery bags.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:25 am

Hi Harmony!

Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations on your ongoing success/weight loss with No S! I've been lurking on these boards and reading your posts for several weeks now and not only do I find your posts very interesting to read but you also come across as a very nice, caring person too. I also wanted to add that I love the gentle way in which you write about your love of animals etc.

Very best wishes,

Roxy
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I have been super busy with outside projects lately. I have stopped in to read posts, but didn't make time to post anything myself! Thanks Roxy for your incredibly nice post!

I have come to the realization that imperfect No-S is better than no system at all. I would rather be cheating on No-S than having a free for all every day. I am glad I have come to this realization (and I hope I can remember it). When I have No-S as my goal for the day, even if I don't manage to get through the day perfectly, I still feel I eat more sensibly than if I try to give up on the structure all together. I like having the option to start fresh again (I tend to think from meal to meal rather than day to day - I have more accomplishments that way. haha.)

Yesterday, I did OK. I panicked a little and ate some pretzels between meals, but I didn't snack before bed.

Today, I had a smaller breakfast, but I am not counting down the minutes to lunch like I was yesterday. I have one success for the day already! :)

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Just checking in for now. I have been doing my imperfect No-S and have been pretty content for the moment. I feel that I am slowly working my way towards a simple 3 meals a day structure again. Bit by bit, I am figuring out how to fit in my husband's schedule and habits into my own. It takes me a while. haha. My husband has returned as a major night-time snacker and pop drinker and has a bit of extra weight to show for it (he's still not considered over-weight though). Nighttime snacking and pop drinking have always been my hardest habits to overcome, so it has been a challenge that I have not overcome yet. I am seeing a slight return to my senses lately though. :)

I mentioned that I was dabbling in T-Tapp and I am happy to say that my dabbling has resulted in losing 3 inches off my waist and my having remarkably better posture (one of my long time goals). I think this takes a lot of pressure off of my being perfect at any diet since I managed to do this while not particularly behaving at any system of food control. This actually has made it easier for me to slowly return to No-S, since I believe that it is a very sensible way of eating and I rather enjoyed not HAVING to eat between meals.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 28, 2010 2:47 am

Eeek! I don't know if I am losing my sanity or what! I saw a picture of myself that my husband took and I panicked because I looked so big! I must have very flattering mirrors in the house, because it was quite the shock to me. Here I had even lost a few inches - I used to be larger! So, of course, I entertained thoughts of resorting to my old diet - low-fat vegan. I had success losing weight with that about 5 years ago. But, I have lost faith that it is the right way for me to eat. I really like to eat what everyone else is eating. I really like to avoid conflict when it comes to food.

But, not snacking, and not drinking pop, and limiting food to one plate is a lot trickier than I thought.

Actually, I think I just figured out the main source for my panic. My grandma's 90th birthday party was planned for next month. I have always been known for being "the skinny one" and I always have these strange thoughts in my head when I go to family functions that people are judging me for gaining weight. Well, for the most part, I still am the skinny one even if I am not skinny anymore. haha.

But, if I stop and think before I make any more stupid decisions, how much could I lose in a month? Probably not enough to make a huge difference in my appearance.

I don't want to jinx myself by typing this, but it seems like my out of control eating is slowing down. I talked to my husband about the pop drinking. Today he didn't go out and buy any. I am not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I did appreciate today's gesture. I don't seem to be craving a snack before bed anymore either. I have been having a cup of tea and if I feel the need for more, I put a couple of spoonfuls of sugar in my tea. Also, dinner has been at a more regular hour than past weeks. That has helped me avoid the 4:00 panic some days.

Well, I think I have successfully typed myself back into sanity. Glad I had that talk with myself. hahaha.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri May 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Yesterday actually went quite well. I had one small square of chocolate. That's it for snacks all day. I was even at a friends house, but snack time was overlooked. I stayed later than usual and came home to my husband preparing dinner. So no need to snack there. Dinner stuck with me for quite awhile and I finally had a cup of tea and a glass of water to get me to bed time. I turned down an offer of chocolate! My husband had brought home THREE bags of mini chocolates! Luckily the weekend starts tomorrow and there should be a few left (since I am the real chocolate hog in the house haha).

Last night I remembered one of the key strategies I used to do so well in the beginning of my No-S experiment. I had promised myself that I would avoid all references to food. That meant that I would not look at food sites or blogs. I would not page through recipe books. I would plan and cook meals that I was already familiar with. I would do my best not to worry or think about dinner or lunch until just an hour before dinnertime (unless it took longer than an hour to cook). I would save all menu planning for an S-day. I even packed up and decided to give away all of my diet books. What had inspired this decision was a comment that my husband had made awhile back about how much I focused on food. I had complained about being overweight as I was paging through one of my countless cookbooks. He simply said that perhaps if I spent less time thinking about food, perhaps I would spend less time eating it. It made sense.

So, I am going to try that tactic out again and see if it helps. My husband has developed an obsession with grilling and has taken over dinner for the most part anyway. So, I can allow myself to relax and think about other stuff. Now, the challenge, if I remember right, is filling up the time I previously used for this food hobby of mine. I also need to either step away from the computer or find new sites to hang out at. I am not sure if I will clear out my bookmarks or not. I can't remember what I used to do before cooking and computers took over all of my free time. Wow. That's a bit sad... (Oh yeah, I went to school, did homework, hung out with friends. hahaha)

I am looking forward to this weekend. My husband is participating in some of the Memorial Day ceremonies. He is going to bring my son with to help prepare the cemetary. I am happy that the weekend will have more meaning to it beyond fire pits and barbecues, and I am glad that my son will get to be a part of it too. My dad was and still is active in the VFW and American Legion, but he was a Vietnam vet so I think when I was a kid he was limited in what he could do since he wasn't officially a war veteran. There was also a bigger pool of WWII vets to volunteer for the services. Now a days he is more involved. I still spent a lot of time in cemetaries. My dad took us there on a regular basis. If I think about it, it is a bit of an odd kind of memory for being so pleasant.

For anyone reading this, have a great Memorial Day weekend.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 am

Today - Friday- went fine. I had breakfast. I had lunch. I had dinner. I did snack after dinner. There is an idea in my head that Friday night should be special - especially when it is a holiday weekend. I guess I started the party a little early. Oh well. Move on.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun May 30, 2010 6:56 am

I have to remind myself that even though I weigh 5 extra pounds, my measurements are the same or smaller than when I weighed less. It makes sense because I can feel muscles that weren't there before. I am just amazed I guess. It is hard not to get frustrated with the whole weight thing.

It is the weekend, so I am letting myself indulge in the reading of cookbooks. I made some yummy grilled chicken for dinner. Monday I will be back to restricting all thinking of food. Wait... maybe Monday night or Tuesday, since it is a holiday.

I explained to my husband how I plan on only drinking pop on the weekends. We'll see if he remembers. He means well, he just doesn't always listen very well. haha. He has been great about it so far. He is willing to give pop up all together (I'm the one that is bringing it home).

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 pm

I confess that I am doing the intermittent fast today. I had done it a few times before my husband came home, but I didn't continue with it because I was afraid that I couldn't take the extra stress and my habit of becoming really grumpy when I get hungry at the same time. But, I tried it today and it seems to have worked out fine. I don't think I have ever made it an official 24 hours. I usually get closer to 21-22 hours. I did lose weight doing it in the past, but I am not sure it is something I want to do long term. I just wanted to see if I could do it again or not.

I gave my husband a run-down of the rules of No-S. Now he should be aware of what I am trying to do. He is a little skeptical that I can do it. That's OK. I will enjoy proving him wrong. I did not tell him that I was fasting. He hasn't commented on me not eating and he hasn't offered me food either. He is in and out all day, for all he knows I have been eating breakfast and lunch. I think all he's had to eat is sunflower seeds and 3 fudgsicles. haha.

When I first started No-S, I was hopeful that it was something that would be compatible with my husband's way of eating. But, I realize it's not. My husband prefers to skip meals and live off of snacks (with the occasional bacon and eggs or hamburger meal). Sometimes he likes to live off of one meal a day and a few handfuls of potato chips. I think it is best that I just give up on harmonizing with that kind of habit. haha. There is no plan that will harmonize with his eating schedule. :roll:

Well, I am off to make some licorice tea.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Yesterday I fasted until dinnertime. We ate at the China Buffet at around 6:00. I admit that I had seconds. I passed on dessert and I had hot tea as a beverage. 2 out of the three S's at least.

Today has been pretty easy. I am not very hungry. I am quite hopeful that I will make it through the day without any sweets, seconds, or snacks. My cravings seem to be nonexistent for the moment. So, that makes it easier.

OK. I am going to go before I talk too much about food. I just wanted to document my minor victory. :D I am starting to gain confidence that I can do this again!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:41 am

So, Wednesday was officially GREEN! Today can be considered GREEN as well! I have a cup of Licorice tea after dinner and a glass of soy milk before bed. I have also been fighting crazy thoughts like, "quick, grab a snack. No one will notice." Then I realize how silly that is and make myself some tea or coffee, or have a drink of water and figure out something better to do than think about food. It has worked. The secret (in-my-mind) competition I have with my husband where I try to prove him wrong also seems to be working. I think I will keep playing along. I do not want to have to admit to him that I wasn't able to follow thorugh on the rules. I think I will enjoy this weekend immensely.

I am debating over whether I want to try for another fast tomorrow or not. I am leaving it open and will see how I feel and how the day goes.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I did fast on Friday. I am in the process of another one today (Monday). I am actually down a couple of pounds, though not all of that is due to fasting. Some of that is from having a whole string of N-days without drinking any pop or snacking! Finding ways to avoid thinking about food have been helpful too. Also, I have averaged about two meals a day because I have been allowed to sleep late and I am not very hungry for breakfast.

The funny thing is that no one has noticed me not eating. (But, they did notice me eating this weekend. haha.) I haven't told anyone here that I am not eating until dinner. I just turn down offers of food (but I would be doing that for No-S anyway). My husband and I rarely eat lunch together, so it's really easy to keep it as my little secret. Not that it needs to be a secret, but I suspect that my husband tends to inadvertantly sabotauge some of my efforts in this department. It is more like an experiment than anything else. I have found that if I can get past the 2:00 mark, I usually do just fine till dinner. Today is going really well. I am not feeling as many hunger pangs as the other two times.

I weighed in this morning around 173 lb. I was 175 last Tuesday. I was at 167 lb. when my husband first came home end of March and all efforts of any kind of diet were lost.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 am

Today (Monday) went incredibly well. THis is the first time I have fasted and actually forgot that I was fasting. I wasn't counting down until dinnertime. I didn't have very many hunger pangs I had to work through. I actually came out of it thinking I could do this on a regular basis and not miss much. I did end up with a crazy headache after dinner. It seemed to get better after drinking something with caffeine (despite the fact that I had 2 cups of coffee earlier in the day). I can even claim that I had just one plate of food tonight and no seconds. I really wasn't starving or all that hungry feeling even at dinner time.

I am documenting this because there is a good chance that it may never work out like this again. haha.

Weight-wise, during the day I weighed 171. After eating dinner, I was back to 173 lb. But, considering that I usually weigh a couple pounds heavier than my morning weight (in other words, I would normally have weighed 175 after dinner- heck, after breakfast), I will not complain one bit.

Tomorrow is strictly No-S. I will be spening the day at a friend's house. She is an awesome cook and her left-overs even taste good. When I am eating at her house I am really thankful for finding No-S!