Connorcream Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 pm

These weight fluctuations become part of who I am with daily weighing over time. I weigh once.a.day. No more, no less unless I am traveling.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:38 am

Very good point! I think I'm at that point right now. The scale hasn't dropped for me yet, but I notice my clothes are fitting me looser, and my waist is a little smaller, so I'm assuming the weight loss will come really soon. :D

connorcream

One Year Anniversary

Post by connorcream » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Calorie Counting A Year Later
October 6, 2010
130.4#: Lost 61.6#
(Last time was at this weight May 1987)

A year has passed with calorie counting as my method of weight loss. I think it might be helpful to summarize my efforts. As background, I will review my weight history and my responses. As a child I was not overweight. I ate what was prepared for me by my mother. The family ate three times a day, a snack after school sometimes, and never before dinner because it would spoil our appetites. We did not eat in our rooms nor while watching TV in general. We could see the TV from the kitchen table and it would be on. But as for TVs in other rooms, we did not cart our food to them. My mother was not a baker so we did not have desserts often. When I began to cook, I usually made the desserts.

I did not start having weight problems until I started to have children combined with a busy life- undergraduate and graduate school in demanding, low acceptance rate, high failure rate programs. I am very academic and scientifically driven so it seemed to me that when one had a problem, in this case excess weight, then one would turn to the experts in weight loss regimes. I joined Weight Watchers and lost successfully two times covering almost 30 yrs. In fact, I am a lifetime member with a key in the drawer and my original books and materials too. After several years passed and I more children were born, coupled with moving and various stresses, I again gained weight. I really did not have time for meetings with a demanding home life so I started to look for another method. I found South Beach, I liked the broader health approach, the author being a cardiologist, I followed it, lost successfully again, and maintained for several years. Diabetes is a concern in my life and I liked learning about the glycemic index and carbohydrates role with it.

But life continued to unfold, I had more children, moved again, gained weight and stumbled across another diet, NoS, online. It was from a money forum that I had frequented. At this time we were living in a rent house while our home was being built. Half of our belongings was in storage, and Nos appealed to me because of the lack of detail required to be successful. I was told not to weigh myself as that was not accurate but rather to use my clothing fit and body measurements as a guide. I did not need portion control or food group avoidance. As my bathroom scale was not convenient in the rent house and my life was in disarray, relatively speaking for me, this seemed approach seemed so attractive. The only portion control was a plate. Nothing could be easier and more appealing. My previous attempts had all proven successful without me having to learn about nutrition in a precise way, so I assumed I would have the same outcome. Concurrently, my dear husband and I had adopted the cash envelope system a couple years earlier for managing our money which engendered great success. I thought the plate approximated an envelope and was yet another reason to expect success with NoS.

However, I did not lose on Nos, I gained and by the time I stepped on the scale after using this approach for almost 18 months I had gained 12#. I felt a crazy as I would read about others losing so easily and happily. What was I doing wrong? Not to worry, it could take several attempts, the weight loss is slow (moderate). Looking back it is a wonder I did not gain more.

My breaking point came on October 6, 2009 when I tried to put on my capris and I could not even get them over my hips. I had bought into striving for a moderate weight attained by moderate eating. What I really got was fat, 5# from being obese. Enough was enough. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is insane and I was tired of being stupid. This one time failure turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to my health. I had also learned about the indispensable role habit plays in success and I applied this knowledge to my previous dieting successes and decided to craft my own program.

I was ignorant about nutrition. I was dependent on some other entity for doing my thinking for me in the most important area of my life, my health. I did not know 3500 cal=1# or that a calorie is not a calorie. Because I had belonged to gyms in the past I knew how little exercise burns off calories, so focusing on the food seemed logical to me. I had read posts by Bright Angel discussing calorie counting which I had dismissed as being too obsessive and restrictive. I was now disgusted enough with my weight to try calorie counting. It was also providential that I had gotten an iTouch for my birthday a week earlier. So I was playing around with it, downloading apps, one of the first being Nutrition Menu. I could not use Diet Power, as she had used, because I have a Mac. She rightly said recording my food intake would be very helpful. I would use LoseIt later as well as Fitday, each having a role in my journey. I used dietphysics with weight loss tracking.

I began my calorie counting, while traveling to NASA with the children, meeting family, for a home schooling day. I first logged my calories in Nutrition Menu in the breakfast buffet area of the Hampton Inn. That night we were eating at a wonderful Asian buffet as we had also visited the Emperor Qin Terra Cotta exhibit at the Museum .Afterwards I was figuring out the calorie counts of what I had eaten. Little did I know that I this most unlikely and difficult of starts would be how my diet would need to operate- on the go, traveling, with food journaling portable in my iTouch, full of sticker shock at the beginning. Sticker shock is what I call finding out the calorie counts for foods and being shocked out how caloric some food is, especially the healthy, pure clean local stuff. I started calorie counting right before the major eating holidays of the year too. There wa really a lot to fight against before I was sick and tired of being fat. Sitting here today, 60 #s lighter, thank you dear Lord for letting it be so. How much joy I would have missed this past year if had decided to wait for a better time.

I also began to learn about all aspects of weight management, nutrition, calories, carbs, exercise, building muscle mass, research articles, interviews, books, pedometers, calipers, BMI, resistance bands, etc,,, I found a supportive website, 3FatChicks, from reading an article on maintenance about how obese bodies are fundamentally changed by their weight gain. I learned tips from expert maintainers and within two months of calorie counting I began to think about my maintenance plan. I bought a very good scale, Tanita, put batteries in my Weight Watchers food scale, and began again. This time, I began counting and weighing daily knowing I would be doing this the rest of my life. It was as important as my daily prayer life, budgeting and balancing my checkbook, brushing my teeth, showering, cleaning my home, regular date nights with DH. In fact, I began to notice that anything in my life that was worthwhile required regular ongoing attention to detail. And how infantile of me it is to whine about calorie counting when one of my sons has Crohns. He MUST monitor his food intake every day, every meal. I thought of my family and friends who have diabetes and MUST take their blood several times a day plus be very mindful of their eating and the need to take medications. How much easier it is to just have to worry about weight. However at my large weight, my own health problems were just around the corner. In fact, I suffered greatly from this excess weight though I did not know it at the time. Now looking back, I wonder how I could have not known. How did I buy into accepting a higher weight than was good for me. How did I not see? Being tall helps to hide the extra pounds. Blindness can run rather deep.

My immediate goals are to continue my maintenance monitoring. I am close to my final weight so I am learning what to eat to maintain, the consequences of eating different calorie/carb ranges, and how to adjust for this. I have a maintenance graphic but the ranges continue to change so I have not posted it. I have successfully maintained for 6 months and I look forward to joining the National Weight Loss Registry in April 2011. I savor my success every day. I find myself savoring ordinary moments. It is so true that being thin and trim is better than being fat and overweight both for joy filled times and for sorrow enveloped moments. I have loved this time of self discovery. I have and will continue to develop delicious, filling, and nutritious meals for me and my family so I will not miss those foods which do not nourish me. I love clothes shopping, seeing my reflection in the mirror and looking at department store flyers. My capris, the ones that motivated me to calorie count still do not fit, they are too big:-)
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Connorcream, I loved reading your story, and especially about your 'ah ha' moment that motivated you to change the way you eat, and your life. :D Congratulations on being so close to goal! I also thought that where you mentioned your son needing to monitor his food intake and your friends with diabetes was a very good insight. I have two immediate family members who have cancer, and I have changed my eating quite a bit, because I was inspired by them.
Thank you for sharing your story!

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 am

clarinetgal wrote:Congratulations on being so close to goal!
Thank you for sharing your story!
I passed goal number 2, 145#, a while ago. I am in the process of discerning my maintenance range. I work out with Walk Away The Pounds, among other exercises such as horse riding, and when Leslie asks if you are battling extra pounds, I say no I am not!:-)

Glad you found meaning in my journey. Best of everything to you and yours.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 am

I work out with Leslie, too, sometimes. LOL on not battling the extra pounds. :D She talks about that in most of her workouts. Horseback riding is a great workout! I've only done it once, but I really felt it in my core. Thanks to all of the strength work I've done, I was the only person in my group who was NOT limping, when I got off of my horse.

BrightAngel

Re: One Year Anniversary

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm

connorcream wrote:Calorie Counting A Year Later
October 6, 2010
130.4#: Lost 61.6#
(Last time was at this weight May 1987)

A year has passed with calorie counting as my method of weight loss.
I think it might be helpful to summarize my efforts.
Connorcream, Image
Happy 1st year Calorie Counting Anniversary.
Thank you for that interesting account of your weight-loss journey.
I am posting a copy of it on my personal Daily Thread for easy reference.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Great story and congrats on your successful year. I'm similar in age to you and so the story is even closer. I've just started and would like to ask you - do you still use the basic premise of NoS or has calorie counting overrided that?

Thanks,
Pernetty

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Pernetty wrote: do you still use the basic premise of NoS or has calorie counting overrided that?
Thanks,
Pernetty
Excellent question and one I keep asking myself as I continue to visit & post at NoS. The parts I find very, very useful from NoS are the establishment of good habits, no snacking, occasionally the 1 plate rule, enjoy and savor the food comprising the meal, regular exercise and resistance training.

How I interpret these concepts however, is very different from the canonical norm. What was a good eating habit for me? How did I know if what I was doing was good? By good, I mean healthy and leading to a lower healthy weight, as a healthy weight is preeminent for optimal health. I rarely need the 1 plate rule because CC is a better guide for portion and accountability. At times, in a party situation, which I did use at the beginning of my journey, the 1 plate rule helped more than now with my knowledge of how to navigate those situations.

I walk but use a video- WATP, plus hiking, horse back riding,as well as going around the block and when available eliptical machines when traveling. I do not use the sledge hammer but resistance bands for muscle retention. I will have a sweet, not save them up for the weekend because I found that lead to stronger urges than I liked. The sweets are moderated by my cal/net carb goals and ultimately the scale.

I found singularly disastrous the isle of denial. Not knowing what comprised my cal/carb, not weighing either myself or my food was an abysmal failure. Relying on clothing fit at my fat weight allowed too much variation as does body measuring. It is also more time consuming. Once I found an exceptionally accurate, quick read scale, the imprescion of these other methods of monitoring became unacceptable for me. Why try and figure out if I was holding the tape measure the same way each time, in the same place? Why try and decide if my clothes were fitting loser or not if the manufactures allowed for 10# swings at the larger sizes? If I wanted to know my carb limit and to see if my hormone cycle influences my weight, wasn't daily weight reading the easiest & quickest way to see a pattern and adjust accordingly? And surprisingly, the imprecision of calorie counting (which certainly exits) washes out overtime when same pattern is used. My calorie counts can be off by 500 but if I measure in the same way most of the time (and I prefer the scale in grams) it really is good enough. The bank is not nearly as forgiving if I get my balance off this much. But my body, depending on the calorie source is.

I never once had a stall or plateau. What I thought was a plateau at one time turned out to last all of a week and it coincided with ovulation. 1 week is not a plateau though in the beginning of truly monitoring my weight it was concerning. This is where wonderful supportivie friends helped me through these small bumps. And small they are compared to the health trials others must face including my son.

My plan has evolved into marvelous delicious foods that taste good and are good for me. I do not need to go off plan when on plan is so good. I use beautiful dinnerware and savor my bites. However, I will sacrifice taste for calories. I got fat eating some of the healthiest, pure, clean, unprocessed foods known to man. I expect more out of my meals- they no longer have to taste good but be good for me long after I have finished chewing. So artificial sweetners have a definite role in my plan. Eating string cheese and raw green beans on the way to the stables is a fine lunch, sometimes with a salad afterwards. I have learned what travels well and what doesn't. Just like I plan when I travel to have cash on hand, just in case, so too with the food. I don't want to get stuck eating poorly.

Hope some of this helps.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for the long and detailed response. You write exceptionally well and clearly. I have one other question for you - about Weight Watchers. In your mind, why did CC provide the Aha moment while WW didn't. I've done WW a few times, not for very long, and not very successfully. I wasn't sure if it was because I had "less to lose" - less than 15 pounds, but the 'aisle of denial' of WW became overwhelming.

My weight has been exceptionally stable for the last seven years - I don't often weigh or measure, I just know because my clothes, season after season fit. I'd still like to lose those 15 pounds to get back to my 30-something weight but I'm hesitant to start CC too soon.

On WW, I didn't like the obsession over numbers plus having to create different meals for myself vs. my family. But it did give me an overall understanding of calories=points=bottom line (no pun intended).

I'm asking, not so much to debate the virtues of WW vs. CC but I'm curious why CC has worked like a charm for you when points did not. I really don't want to wait 8 months to find out that NoS isn't the ticket.

Wow, you have seven children!!

Happyhomemama

Post by Happyhomemama » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your calorie counting journey. I have been on No S since the middle of August with hardly any weight lost, I added calorie counting this week and have already lost more since Monday than in the previous few weeks with No S alone. I do like the No S guidelines but need the accountability of calorie counting. I can easily exceed my daily caloric needs with three plates of food. At this point I plan to stick with the No S guidelines with calorie counting for accountability. :D
Deanna in WA
Mom of 6
5'4" 38 yo
Started No S 8/9/2010
SW: 179.4 (9/5, no scale prior) :)
Began Calorie Counting 10/4 & 178 lbs
CW: 176.6
1st goal: 160
Final Goal: 130

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Pernetty wrote:In your mind, why did CC provide the Aha moment while WW didn't.

I'm asking, not so much to debate the virtues of WW vs. CC but I'm curious why CC has worked like a charm for you when points did not.

Wow, you have seven children!!
Another great question and one I have thought about as well, and I think some of the answer is that I am reasponsible for my weight loss this time no one else was. So if I am responsible for MY plan, then I have to act like it, study it, make it work. If I am paying someone else or reading soemone else, then it is easier to not be as involved because after all they are the experts, been in the biz a long time (WW), they know their stuff, docs recommend them, etc....

Second, points is a bit detached from the truth that everything I bite costs and this time it was about the truth. No middle men. Counting CC is easier than counting points in many ways.

Third, WW is in the biz to make money. One loses weight fast enough to stay, slow enough to make the most profit. No problem with that. But I did not equate losing slow with long term success. I was so tired of being fat I wanted it gone and 1 1/2# is a reasonalbe rate of loss as a GOAL, not as assurance. So this means devising my calorie deficit to reflect this.

All this being said, if WW or NoS, or anything else works for someone, more power to them. And what may work at one phase of life might not work at another. CC and daily weighing gives me the information I need as my caloric needs shift downwards as I age.

People being aware of what they eat in terms of helath is an ancient occupation. I home school and we frequently travel as part of our studies. Being watchful of what one eats and its effects on health in past of any culture. Mindless eating is a myth. To name just one example, we visited Stonewall Jackson's home in VA near VMI. He purposefully lived on the outskirts of town to incorporate more walking into his regime (this is the 1850's) and he was extemely careful of his diet. He followed the latest thoughts on this matter at the time.

I love being thin with my numerous active family. I am so deeply grateful I am not fat and can enjoy them to the best of my ability. There were so many wonderful moments this past year. Being lighter helped to enjoy them more fully!
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:33 am

Connorcream, Daily weighing has proved to be a good reality check for me, as well. I find that when I go for a week or two without weighing myself, I gain weight.

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm

OMG! I took the challenge and used Calorie Count to determine what I eat on an average day. Drum Roll - 2,222 calories. Even based on an average female that's 222 calories too many and on a 40+ woman, who is 5'3" that wants to lose 15 pounds, that's about 500 calories per day too many.

Very enlightening - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Well, that certainly leaves me with some homework....

Best,
P

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Pernetty wrote:OMG! Drum Roll - 2,222 calories.
Very enlightening - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Well, that certainly leaves me with some homework....
Best,
P

I call it sticker shock. Imagine the calories consumed with whole milk as a tie over between meals, 2 glasses of alcohol per day, evoo with roll because it can fit on a plate, pasta and cream sauce, pbj, all of these things too can fit on a plate, etc... For a young, active, healthy man, this is one thing, for an older woman it is another. For each of us it is different. Don't even ask me about the cc for a spinach omelet at ihop. Friends helped me out on that one.

I guess it is a wonder I didn't' gain more. But 18 months was a long time going the wrong way.

Enjoy the process of self discovery. I certainly did and continue to do so while trying on fabulous smaller clothes. Went shopping this morning after classes. Fun in my jeans. Ordered some black ones too:-)
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

clarinetgal wrote:Connorcream, Daily weighing has proved to be a good reality check for me, as well. I find that when I go for a week or two without weighing myself, I gain weight.
Budgeting with DH every two weeks and keeping the check book balanced is a great help too. Our bodies aren't any different. The longer I let these tasks go, the less likely I am to do well.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Budgeting is a good analogy. The two definitely relate to eachother. People have different budgets, and people have different calorie needs, depending on their bodies. I liked what you said about the sticker shock, too. It's so true! I'm doing sort of a mix of calorie counting and No S right now. I try to stick to 3 meals a day with one plate per meal, but I've become MUCH more aware of how many calories are fitting onto my plates.

connorcream

RR Words of Wisdom- How I lost 165#

Post by connorcream » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

People ask me all the time how I lost 165 lbs when they can't even lose 10 of them. And I tell them very simply - "that I decided to". Yup, as simple as that. I made the decision to lose the weight, once and for all, permanently and NO MATTER WHAT.

Without a doubt the most important factor is DESIRE. You have to desire to be thin, fit, trim, healthy and the best you possible more than you want the food.

The other thing you're battling - you're just not sure if it's possible. Can I really do it? Well yes, of course we can. We ALL can.

I'm a little pressed for tiime... wait a sec.. I'm going to cop out and find an old post and repost it, not exactly what I'd say to you, but here goes:

Know that you DO have the ability to lose the weight. We all do. It's not some hare brained, crazy, out of this world scheme. We all are capable of it. Yourself included.

Eating well, adhering to a healthy life style is nothing to fear, nothing to loathe. Remaining obese IS. So, you need to fear and loathe it (remaining obese).

At some point, you will have to come to the conclusion that all that *food* comes at too high of a price. That the consequences are just too high.

At some point your desire to be thin, healthy, fit and active will have to outweigh, overtake and overpower the desire for all that food.

At some point you will have to come to terms that you just can't have it both ways - the high calorie, high quantity food and be the optimal you.

At some point you will have to recognize that you DO have the power over this. That it IS within your control. That being overweight is a choice. That getting slim is a choice. And you are the one that gets to choose.

At some point you will have to realize that it's okay to tell yourself no. That you don't have to give into a craving or a desire or a want. You will have to stop worrying about your immediate gratification and look to your long term satisfaction.

At some point, you'll have to change what you want. The foods that you're eating, the way that you're living.

At some point you will have to change your relationship with food. You can't use it for times of anger, loneliness, boredom, stress, happiness, joy.

At some point you will have to stop focusing on what you are giving up and focus on what you are GAINING.

At some point you will just have to do the mature, responsible, adult thing and make mature, responsible decisions.

At some point you will have to realize that all work, effort, time, devotion, persistence and dedication that this requires is incredibly worth it and to not do it would be ludicrous.

At some point you will just have to suck it up and get past the uncomfortable moments of changing your bad habits and incorporating the new ones in. There WILL be uncomfortable moments - initially, temporarily.

At some point you will have to raise your standards and require more from yourself. And stop settling for foods that just taste good. You'll need them to taste good and BE good for you; long after your done chewing.

At some point you will have to challenge yourself and really, really push yourself. You'll have to give it 150 percent. You'll have to push and push. Reaching, stretching, striving, growing, prospering.

At some point you'll have to realize that eating well, adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no prison sentence. But a ticket to freedom. That will open up more doors to you than you can possibly imagine. Ones you didn't even realize were closed.

At some point you will have to say, enough is enough. I'm not going to take this another minute. I'm done being fat. That it can't possibly be as hard to lose the weight as it is to remain morbidly obese. Choosing your hard.

At some point you will have to decide to do this, once and for all, permanently and NO MATTER WHAT. No matter what.

At some point you'll have to set yourself up for success. Get rid of the junk. Make a plan, make a plan, make a plan. Plan, plan and than plan some more. Plan out your food schedule in advance, knowing where each and every bite is coming from AHEAD OF TIME. Much easier to stick to a plan when you've got one. Write down each and every morsel that goes into your mouth before it goes in that said mouth. No matter what. It doesn't go into your mouth before you write it down. Be firm. Make some boundaries, make some rules. Set some limits. And stick to them. No matter what. Stop giving yourself permission to veer off. Enough is enough. Time to do the mature, responsible thing, even if you don't want to. Eventually, you'll want to.

And luckily once you get into it, working past that initial discomfort, getting through the detox period so to speak, and it becomes more habitual and then those rewards start surfacing and it no longer feels like a sacrifice - it becomes dare I say - easy. But you've got to get there. You've got to push through to get to that point. So I urge you to PUSH YOURSELF. Find out what you're capable of. Amaze yourself.

And really, why on earth WOULDN'T you do this? Why???? Why keep settling for second best when first best is well within your reach? Break those bad habits, incorporate the new good ones. Isn't it worth going through a little uncomfortable moments for a few weeks or heck even months to switch behaviors, learn some new skill, master something incredible and have a wonderful, more carefree life? One with lotssssss less worries and anxieties and one with much more joy, happiness, confidence, self respect, stamina, energy, vitality,optimal health and choices???
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks. I needed this little reminder. I was doing REALLY great on my plan for the past few days, and then I blew it today. I had my flu shot, which caused me to feel weird and off, but I gave myself permission to blow it on my eating. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm just going to make sure to pick myself up and get right back on my plan again. Tonight and tomorrow WILL be better.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:58 pm

I need RR insight each day. I consider a dear friend for the immense good she has brought to my life.

Enjoy the fall:-)
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Hey,
I just wanted to reach out and thank you for posting so diligently from a year ago. I have reviewed them and love the way to reframe counting calories.

I really feel like I am going to do it this time! I am going to lose weight and it's not that hard. I am loving the ease of CC! Everyday it gets easier and easier as I build my food lists.

For the first time in a long time, I don't feel powerless at losing weight.

Thanks!

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Pernetty wrote:Hey,
don't feel powerless at losing weight.

Thanks!
You are NOT Powerless, you are determined. I look forward to hearing of your continued success. Joy is heading your way in areas you cannot even imagine. Enjoy this time of self discovery and growth. It is priceless.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 pm

Another outstanding post by a woman named Shannon going from 350# to 296# with 160# her goal:

I had this very experience today while eating lunch at La Madeliene's and on Wed at a leadership meeting. I passed on the carby loaded food, ate what was good for me both in taste and nutrition, and was perfectly delighted doing so. How great it is to know what is good for me, both in substance and amount! How do I know what is good for me, by the scale, blood tests, and blood pressure readings.

I am pretty convinced that real, sustainable weight loss is simply not possible for most people (I know that's a bold statement) without a specific, comprehensive eating plan. Do you have one? I personally don't think people who start off at our starting weights can just plan on "watching the sweets" or "trying to cut back on the junk food" to obtain any kind of meaningful change.

When I started back here in May, I was wholly unsure if a decent weight loss was possible for me. I had tried and failed so many times in the past!! I decided that I was going to develop a healthy, satisfying eating plan, and stick to it like glue and see what happened. In these last few months, I have really rooted myself in these better behaviors, and now I am getting to the point where I just know what to eat and when, how to manage eating out, what to do when hunger strikes, and at this point, very rarely do I even think about the crappy stuff. I was at a meeting at work the other day, I knew there would be junk food, so I ate breakfast before I went. It didn't even cross my mind that I could have "just one" of the little cinnamon rolls lots of other people were munching on. It has really just sort of become something I just don't do. I didn't have to white-knuckle it through the meeting just wishing I was allowed to eat that, not at all. That is why I know I am going to succeed this time, all the way to goal weight. I KNOW it. I have detoxed my body of the junk it does not want or need, I am fully satisfied with what I do choose to eat, and I have made a commitment to myself to keep it that way.

It all started with my taking the time to work out a realistic plan that will keep me fueled properly and appeal to me taste-wise. If I hadn't done that, then I would have been sitting in that meeting 5 months later thinking "well, just 2 of these cinnamon rolls is cutting back, right -- they're small!" Setting me up for a day of uncontrollable cravings and struggling to do anything right with my diet, not to mention fatigue, bloat, blech, and wondering why I STILL haven't lost any weight even though I told myself I was going to back in May!

Make yourself a very specific plan, and hold on for dear life for a few weeks. Smooth sailing after that! I'm not saying I never have temptations or urges to eat bad stuff, but they are much fewer and further between, and I can HANDLE them now, when before I never could.

I would wish you luck, but really, luck has nothing to do with it.

Edit: I am actually full after eating my meals -- not super, duper sick full, but comfortably, satisfied full. I love that feeling and couldn't do this if I didn't have it. And as for the exercise, make sure you are not doing it right before you go to bed, because exercise can make you super-alert and keep you awake longer, and you DEFINITELY need to sleep well/enough IMHO
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm

That's a great post, and very true!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Image I'm so pleased to see how well you are doing in Maintenance !!! Image

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Your wisdom has been essential to my success. Gratis.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

NSV Board Meeting Snacks

Post by connorcream » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:58 pm

DH & I had an all day (9-5) board meeting for a nonprofit we support. I had previewed the possible restaurant we might eat at as well as roasting up a bag of green beans (20 cal) brought this along. For breakfast, I had my filling and delicious 3 egg white omelet with veggies, salsa and strawberries. Kept me full until lunch.

As we were on a roll, we stayed at the hotel, and ordered off the bar menu. After much practice the past few weeks with starchless and grainless soups, I ordered the tortilla soup (very few tortilla strips, no cheese, and loaded with veggies and chicken as it turned out). This turned out to be much better for me than heading to nearby Mex place and I eagerly voted for it after perusing the menu. Another invaluable strategy I use every time I eat out. I look the menu over and think it through before ordering with a crowd. At this point, I know what to order from many restaurants, so it requires zero intellectual effort. But occasionaly, like this day, a new place surfaces, and I skim ahead of time. We are also traveling to a new hotel this weekend, so I will call ahead then too. The basic premise of thinking meals through in a calm and reasoned manner is the key principle I use time and time again. I do the same with my money. We plan ahead to see if we can AFFORD it first, not second.

I have discovered that loaded with chicken in a bowl is about 2 ozs. I was again quite content. Mid afternoon break rolled around, the other members were making an M&M run around 3 PM, while I pulled out my roasted green beans. One lady, who has health/weight problems thought they needed salt. Others thought they were quite tasty and sweet. I probably find them sweeter than them because my sugar has been cut way back.

The upshot of all of this is: 1. I really like seeing how strategies and tools developed in one setting (soups with no carbs, bringing own food instead of depending on others, detaching events from food) can be applied to many other scenarios; 2. An insight that maintanence is successful when the thinking is permanently changed; 3. I really and truly was content and happy; & 4. It was a blast looking good and feeling fine in my black jeans and trim burgundy top. I really did not given a hoot what others thought or not of my healthy eating. 6 + months of maintanence.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

BA Metabolism Myth

Post by connorcream » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Bright Angel wrote

BTW, you CANNOT destroy your metabolism.
That is a MYTH, which has been totally disproven through research.
It is out of your control.
Your body works the way your body works.

Exactly right and I wanted a convenient place to keep it.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Connorcream, Very interesting! I think I'm just starting that part of my journey, for myself. For me, I've recently come to realize that I don't need to eat at every gathering that has food. Last week was my first time of actually not eating at a Bible study gathering, and that was huge for me. I have also been experimenting with cutting back on sugar in the foods that I bake, and that has made me much pickier about sweets. The past few times I've tried sweets (other than what I bake), they've tasted too sweet for my liking. Since I now know I can successfully not eat sweets at a gathering, I will continue that strategy, and just eat the sweets I bake, or only eat other sweets that I know I really like.
I know this is a little different than what you were talking about, but your point about planning ahead before you eat really hit home for me, and I will continue to work on planning ahead.
I'll bet you loooked great in that outfit you desribed. :D

connorcream

Business Trip Prep - Before and After

Post by connorcream » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:51 pm

This is from another forum I visit frequently. This had such outstanding information, I wanted to copy it into my thread for ease of reference. I do much of this already but it wonderfully written and good to refer back to time and again. I have 3 weekends of traveling back to back and I cringe when I hear people not able to lose/maintain. It is possible with planning. Not so much if depending on hotels to have appropriate food.

Case in point, I brought Bright Angel's oatmeal pancakes with lite maple syrup and fresh strawberries for breakfast at our hotel as I had checked out beforehand the terrible selections for me. They were also terrible for the men's baseball team who was also staying there. It is my job to feed me properly. No one forced me to get fat and no one forced me to get thin. I chose it. And I can assure you, I never would have woke up one day thin and trim like I am now. I had to chose it. It is so much better being thin than fat. EVERYTHING is better. Today I cantered without the lunge line. Ask the horse if he likes me 60+# lighter.

Business Trip Prep - Before and After
Next week, I'll be at a client site in MN from Sun-Fri. I was just contemplating all of the many ways my preparations have changed since my lifestyle did.

Before:

Panic about finding suits to fit, find one ill-fitting one, desperately try to find enough pieces to accessorize and distract from my poorly fitted clothes, probably cry in dressing room while hunting down Spanx. Dig for the largest size pantyhose, which only come in horrible colors, and struggle to find 11W shoes that don't squeeze my puffy feet into blistering.

Cram way-large clothing pieces into suitcase. I'd actually probably have had to check a bag, given the whole week of clothes, or smash everything trying to squish it in.

Get hot and sweaty going through the airport just trying to get to my gate. Have a drink or two.

Sit in tiny seat, pray I can close the seatbelt, and barely squeeze it closed. Worry about the inevitable chafing having it so tight will be, but refuse in mortification to ask flight attendant for an extender. Be unable to lower my tray table to put my laptop on it to work, since my stomach was in the way. Hold my drink in hand, since I can't set it down. Be very hot on the plane, despite the typically low temperature, since I'm all crammed in with my laptop on my lap.

Consume every snack offered to me, and some I purchased, on the plane.

Arrive at destination, eat something heavy, sleep fitfully until I get up the next morning, at the last possible moment to get myself together before running out the door.

Subsist on sugar, coffee, and fat (doughnuts, pastry, etc) to stay awake. Slog through meetings, get a heavy/fast food dinner, drink some soda or alcohol, crash into bed. If I get invited out to dinner with the client, panic about them criticizing what I'm eating because I'm the fat girl, drink to compensate, and end up ordering something heavy anyway once my inhibitions are down.

Repeat.

Return feeling vaguely ill and somehow fitting less well in my airplane seat than even on the way there.

Now:

Easily find clothes and shoes that fit in department stores. Find enough that I can choose clothes that look good, not just those that will cover me. Also, have a "stable" wardrobe since I'm not growing in size, so I can reuse a lot.

Pack my suitcase with room to spare for a few gym outfits, and a bunch of protein bars for quick breakfasts, since I know I'll be busy and want to have decent options available.

Scope out the hotel gym and pool before I go so I can plan my workouts. Score! Ellipticals, treadmills, and a big rack of free weights. Plan to take advantage of the equipment I don't have while I'm there, especially to lift extra heavy. And scope out room amenities, so I know if I have a microwave and refrigerator to work with.

Comfortably navigate the airport and fit nicely into my seat. Marvel (as I have on every flight since goal) at the tremendous amount of seatbelt left over. Eat a planned snack (Double score! Airline offers fresh fruit as a snack alternative).

Arrive, find a salad for dinner, drive directly to pre-determined grocery store to stock hotel room with bottled water, fruit, and salad-fixings.

Wake up early on the first morning, down a piece of fruit, and hit the gym for a shortened, but intense cardio session. Shower, dress in my small, cute clothes, eat a protein bar, and go.

Refresh during the day with a quick walk around the halls, a cup of tea, or some cold water. Either pack a lunch, or select from healthy options in company cafeteria (They have some! I know because I checked beforehand). Eat some packed veggies for a snack.

Finish work, go to one of several pre-planned dinner options to get dinner (either something purchased at the grocery store, or a 400-cal meal option from a local restaurant - one of my favorites I can't get here is a small Whole Grain Tuscan Linguine from Noodles and Company - 450 calories!). If I am invited out, order a lighter option with confidence, drink sparkling water with lime.

If it's a lifting day, lift some weights. Lift heavy because the equipment is there! Maybe soak a bit in the hot tub to wind down.

Head to bed early so I can get up to exercise the next day.

Repeat!

Fly home feeling good and light and on-track, and usually a bit lighter than when I left.

It feels a lot better to travel this way. A LOT.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:36 am

Love it! You are so right, it's so much about choice. No one is watching. Really. This week-end with family, I baked and cooked for them (which I love to do) but no one noticed that I really wasn't eating much of it.

I baked bread but ate only an ounce slice at a time/per meal. We had order-in Chinese food, but I didn't have the rice, or the ginger beef, but went for what I really enjoy - the vegetables, and a bit of noodles.

On the ferry, I did have a burger but it was the kid's size - without any sauces (just ketchup and mustard) and 5 well chosen french fries. Each fry was carefully salted to perfection and enjoyed thoroughly.

I really am in a rhythm. After the week-end (of not counting officially, but in my head), I'm right back on track today: egg and rye krisp for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and a grilled homemade burger for dinner.

I tracked my calories and it took less than 5 minutes. I checked the boards today and a newbie who is really sweet has gained 5 pounds since she started. I wish I could reach out but I guess that's not really appropriate.

Thanks Connorcream!
P

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Pernetty wrote:I tracked my calories and it took less than 5 minutes.
I checked the boards today
and a newbie who is really sweet has gained 5 pounds since she started.
I wish I could reach out but I guess that's not really appropriate.
I resolve that issue for myself
by posting about my own experience on the General Discussion Thread
or someone else's Daily Thread,
whenever I REALLY want to reply to something there.
However, I post my Thoughts PRIMARILY on my own Daily Thread.

Sometimes, a tactful and helpful PM to the individual can also be very appropriate.

connorcream

Maintenance of Reduced Obese is Different

Post by connorcream » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm

A post I want to refer to time and again. Hoping to be normal, thinking I will wake up after a year or several of maintenance and have the same body as someone who never gained is a lie. The isle of denial helped me to stay fat. I never want to be stranded there again. Life is too short and being thin and trim is too much fun.

No kidding on weight regain! Blink your eyes and bam!

The most important thing I've learned in maintenance is that the body of a reduced obese person (what the medical/scientific world calls us) is not the same as a person of the same weight who was never obese. Our bodies don't react in the way a never-obese person's does. Because of the many, many biochemical and hormonal changes associated with obesity and weight loss, we're colder, burn fewer calories with exercise, have slower metabolisms, and gain weight faster than someone who was never obese (same gender, age, weight, and height).

What that means is that the rules of the "normal world" don't apply to us. Metabolic calculators are usually way off for us. We may look "normal" on the outside, but our bodies are very different on the inside. Every fat cell I ever had in my life, I still have. And they're all pumping out hormones to signal me to "eat more! get fat again!" An obesity researcher once told me that a simple blood test (for leptin levels) would reveal that I am a reduced obese person. I may look like a fit chick on the outside, but on the inside, I'm still a fat chick.

And I'm OK with it! Knowledge is power. If I tried to live like a never-obese person, I'd be constantly frustrated. Why do I have to eat less and exercise more than normal people just to stay the same weight?? Knowing that my body wants to weigh 257 pounds again, strangely enough, gives me peace of mind. Because I know that I'm different than almost anyone I've ever met and none of the "normal" rules apply. I know what I need to do to keep the weight off and it doesn't matter what other people do or think.
[/i]
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Pernetty wrote: I tracked my calories and it took less than 5 minutes. I checked the boards today and a newbie who is really sweet has gained 5 pounds since she started. I wish I could reach out but I guess that's not really appropriate.

Thanks Connorcream!
P
I see these posts so often and it breaks my heart too. BA has great thoughts but I know I am a fringe minority here, so I just post mostly on my thread and very rarely elsewhere in this forum. Heck, it took me about 18 months and 12# gained, and fat pants not zipping to realize my ship was heading in wrong direction. I was marooned on the isle of denial.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Obesity Experts

Post by connorcream » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 pm

A post from a dear friend whom I have learned much.

We speak of medical doctors and all, obesity experts, but the truth is, I don't know if even they could help some of us. Because it isn't all that simple. There is no one fix-it solution for everyone. There is no one across the board, this is the right way to do it. It's not just eat this and don't eat that. It's isn't just get your butt off the couch. If only it were that simple. If only it were.

I came up with what I think is a brilliant, brilliant plan for MYSELF. My big key non-negotiable factors:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Never. My solution - eat frequently and make every bite going down my throat a filling, satiating one. Therefore I had to eat ZERO empty calorie foods. I MUST feel as if I'm eaten.
-The food that I'm eating can't keep me clamoring for more of it. It can't bring on this "can't shove it in my mouth fast enough" feeling that I get with soooo many foods such as crackers, cereal, cookies, ice cream, rice, breads, etc. My solution - avoid them at all costs. I had a hard time (impossible) stopping to eat certain foods once I started. My solution -don't start.
-Volume. I like a LOT of food to eat. My solution - eat large quantities of lower calorie foods. (Also helps with the hunger). So I eat piles and piles of veggies. Much more than the average person and much more most likely than the average *dieter*.
-I have no intuitive eating button. It's missing. I need something to tell me to stop eating, something to keep me in check, something to tell me THIS is your proper portion. My solution - calorie counting. It's built in accountability and FORCED portion control.
-I MUST derive pleasure from the foods that I'm eating. I need to enjoy the heck out of it. My solution - eat tasty, tasty, mouth watering foods. Hence the reason I spend sooo much time in the kitchen preparing fabulous meals and snacks.

On top of all these non-negotiables, I needed rules. I had to set boundaries, limits. I had to learn skills and strategies. I relied on mantras and self-talk. Still do. I made daily weighing and recording a ritual. I planned out each and every bite that was to go in my mouth in advance. I set mini-goals for myself. I gave myself a *prize* after each 10 lbs lost. I needed to think outside of the box. I had to be super creative. I found 3fc. I decided to look for the joy in this and not the dread. These are all things I needed to search for/'seek out/discover for MYSELF.

No doctor in the world will tell you these things. But I will. I'm an obesity *expert,* (and there are many more *experts* right here at 3FC.) a super morbid obesity *expert* at that, or a losing weight *expert* and keeping it off *expert* - for me. Like Meg says, we are all laboratories of one.

I'm not sure if there's a doctor in the world who could have helped me.

And then there's another thing. If you would have told me, heck if I would have told me, to do all these things earlier, quite frankly, I'm not positive I would have listened to me.

It wasn't until I made the absolute decision to lose the weight "NO MATTER WHAT", that I really delved and methodically sat down and figured out what I needed to MAKE it happen. Because at that point I was WILLING to do whatever was necessary to ENSURE that it would happen. I was willing to make the changes. And I wasn't going to stop until it was done. No. Matter. What. Not sure if I was willing early. I'm just not sure.

You need WILLINGNESS. You need the willingness to make the change and stick it out and work past the uncomfortable moments of getting rid of bad habits and establishing new ones.

You also must come to the realization that *it* is worthy of all the time, effort and *work* that needs to be put into it. You need to make it a number one priority.

A doctor, nor an obesity expert can't give you these things. He can't write a prescription for it. You can't bottle it and sell it. You must get it from within.

Speaking of doctors, I remember (quite clearly) taking my daughter to the pediatrician several years ago. She had this strange cough and a low grade fever. He said it was just a virus. But the weird cough persisted and so did the low grade fever. I took her back to the doctor again. It's just a virus, wait it out, I was told again. I know my child better than any doctor. SOMETHING was not right here. This was no virus. I persisted and insisted on a chest x-ray. Turns out she had pneumonia. My point is, you can't even rely on the medical profession. You've got to rely on yourself. You've got to take matters into your own hands some times. You hear of situations of missed diagnoses all the time. All the time. You have got to fight for yourself. You've got to be on top of it. You, you and you.

I mean know disrespect to anyone, anywhere. But if you're ignorant (as I was) on what foods to eat and what foods not to eat - RESEARCH the heck out of it. Make it your business to find what works for yourself and what doesn't. Be persistent. Don't stop till you discover it. Don't take no for an answer. Require more from yourself. Raise your standards. Don't take it another second. Experiment. Try this, try that. Be willing to go the extra mile. No BS. No excuses. Be brutally honest. Don't tolerate it from yourself. Make it your job, your mission. Don't leave it to others. It's too important. You've got to rely on number one here - yourself. No. one. else.

You want out of the hole, dig yourself out. I distinctly remember thinking this, it is SO clear to me, from all those years ago. "I got myself into this mess, I will have to be the one to get myself out of the mess".

A common, old expression comes to mind - "If you want something done right, do it yourself."
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Powerful post.

BrightAngel

Re: Obesity Experts

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 am

connorcream wrote:You need WILLINGNESS.
You need the willingness to make the change
and stick it out and work past the uncomfortable moments
of getting rid of bad habits and establishing new ones.

You also must come to the realization that *it* is worthy of all the time,
effort and *work* that needs to be put into it.
You need to make it a number one priority.

A doctor, nor an obesity expert can't give you these things.
He can't write a prescription for it.
You can't bottle it and sell it.
You must get it from within.
You have got to fight for yourself.
You've got to be on top of it.
You, you and you.

If you're ignorant on what foods to eat and what foods not to eat -
RESEARCH the heck out of it.
Make it your business to find what works for yourself and what doesn't.
Be persistent. Don't stop till you discover it. Don't take no for an answer.
Require more from yourself. Raise your standards. Don't take it another second.
Experiment. Try this, try that. Be willing to go the extra mile.
No BS. No excuses. Be brutally honest. Don't tolerate it from yourself.
Make it your job, your mission. Don't leave it to others. It's too important.
You've got to rely on number one here - yourself. No. one. else.

You want out of the hole, dig yourself out.
Excellent Advice to Remember.

connorcream

Calories In Calories Out

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 pm

A post from another lady whose opinion I value greatly.

Yes, it's simply a matter of calories in, and calories out BUT (and it's a very big but) the problem lies in determining the calories out part of the equation. The way most people mean "calories in calories out," or "a calorie is a calorie" is to assume that the calories out portion of the equation is unchanging - as if only calories in really mattered, because calories out are assumed to hold constant (which for many people doesn't seem true at all).

Calories in, calories out does not mean you will lose equally well on 1500 calories of candy and potato chips as on 1500 calories of broccoli and chicken breast (even if you're carefully documenting and know that you're not exceeding 1500 calories). You might lose the same, but you might not, and the secret lies in the calories out (which you only have indirect control over - you can choose to exercise more, but you can't choose to use more or less energy during automatic processes like breathing, body temperature, respiration, digestion...).

There are a lot of ways the equation can be affected. At first, I suspected that because low-carb controls my hunger better, I was just eating fewer calories. High-carb eating makes me hungrier and more prone to bingeing. If that were all, it would still be a powerful argument for low-carb eating. However there's more the equation.

Even when I'm religiously documenting my calories, I STILL lose more on low-carb than on the same calories of high carb. I do have more energy though, and so I'm more likely to exercise, and more likely to be more active. Again, if that were all, it would still be a pretty good reason for me to follow low-carb.

I've also found through my health journals that my body temperature is closer to normal when I eat low-carb (I tend to run low). I'm normally at least a full degree or two below normal. If I'm not eating low-carb by body temperature never exceeds 98 degrees unless I'm sick. Maintaining a higher body temperature burns more calories, so this could be a sign that I burn more calories on low-carb than high-carb.

When I was younger, I didn't notice as large a discrepancy (but I never really gave low-carb diets much of a chance). From what I've read, insulin resistance seems to increase the discrepancy.

Even though the weight loss equation is complicated, it doesn't mean weight loss has to be. If you use a food journal (especially if you also are logging other health variables like energy level, mood, exercise/activity level, sleep quality, body temperature).... you can learn alot about how specific foods affect you. You don't have to document all of that, just what you want to learn about. If you don't really care about the other stuff, you can also just keep cutting calories until you find a level that allows you to lose weight. Or you can experiment and see what ways of eating you find most acheivable and most affective (not only for weight loss but for other issues you may be concerned with).

Even though the variables are complex, the process really isn't. Write down what you eat, and see what happens. Look for patterns (just realize many patterns take months to develop. You can't determine much by days, or even weeks on a specific diet, because those patterns can be misleading. What you might think is diet could be TOM or other body rhythms, or just coincidence).
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Excellent, excellent advice I have used already and will continue to do so.

Another thing you might think about:
It is easy to abuse the concept of Exception days
when one combines Exception Days together with a concept of perfect compliance.

A planned Exception day is one thing...like..a Birthday or Holiday, or other Special event,
but having a slip and deciding to take a binge day is a different matter.
Even calling a day with one small slip an Exception day changes the concept to a Negative one.
In actuality, that is NOT a genuine Exception day.
Exception days are intended as a POSITIVE event,
not a NEGATIVE event such as a cover-up for Failure times.

Trying to acheive Ultimate Perfection when following a rule can become counterproductive.
Sometimes it is far, far better to focus on compliance at the level of each individual moment.

It helps me to remember....
I am Accountable for my food-intake 100% of the time.
My body doesn't go by calender time. It functions continually.
Every MINUTE after any eating slip is a New Start, not every DAY after.
What works, is after an eating slip....START AGAIN IMMEDIATELY...that minute, that hour,
...even better...during the slip, even while in mid-bite...
...spit it out, throw it away, and continue on toward a successful day.
And even if you successfuly do this, don't try to cover up a slip by calling it an Exception Day.

Make it a HABIT not to wait till the following day to jump back on the wagon.
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 pm

When I first started watp, if some might recall, I was skeptical of the claim 1 mile in 12-14 minutes (depending on the workout). I used a pedometer which I found is not a useful metric to use as the exercises are rarely based on strides which is how a pedometer works.

I then walked around the block, with varying elevations, in 14 minutes to see how I responded- breathing, heart rate, sweatiness, ability to speak, perceived exertion, and tried to compare that to how I felt after the watp which was similar but admittedly a crude measure. Of course, as the familarity of the exercises increases the exertion decreases.

Finally, I just decided to see how I do with other types of exertions I do in my life- hiking, horse back riding, walking around the block, dancing, house work, machines at hotels when traveling (especially elepticals), sprinting through airports. If these activities were performed well, then I choose to think my exercise routine was sufficient. For me, exercise is a means to an end- a healthy, increased mobility, trim body. It is not to get ripped, sculpted, defined, honed body.

My calves are toned, I do not have a stiff neck at all anymore, and my hip pain is gone, are excellent benefits too. In fact, my body moves great in all respects, not bad for a middle aged lady. All of this without stepping foot in a gym as well. That Leslie is a pleasant, motivating woman is a definite plus. The results from watp have exceeded my fondest hopes.

This would also not be possible if I still weighed 60+# more than I do.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Good info! I feel the same about exercise. I refuse to pay money for fitness. I use my bicycle to get most of our groceries and other errands plus I ride about 30 minutes per day outside. I'm lucky enough to live close the ocean and my ride on Beach Ave. is a gift! I don't measure the calorie output, wear a heart monitor, etc.

Movement everyday is what's it's all about - keeping the joints in action. I had to give up my running sprints - too hard on my hips, but the bicycle suits me fine.

P

connorcream

Intuitive eating NOT

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm

A post from a successful maintainer.

Intuitive eating can be a wonderful way to make peace with eating issues and take the good/bad and black/white thinking out of food choices. But I haven't seen any evidence that it's an effective strategy for weight loss or maintenance, unfortunately.

I could have maintained 257 pounds with intuitive eating -- and did for years, in fact -- but that would have meant remaining morbidly obese. In order to achieve a healthy body weight, I had to count calories, weigh portions -- all the usual stuff -- and I have no doubt that I will continue to need to do so for the rest of my life. It's completely the opposite of IE -- I guess we could call it Non-Intuitive Eating. But at this point, more than nine years into the process, it's effortless. And a very small price to pay for health and fitness!

If you've read about setpoints, you know that there's a lot of research out there about our body weight being controlled by 400+ hormones and biochemicals designed to maintain our current weight (even if it's obese). Once we lose 10% or so of our body weight, a physical process kicks in to defend our weight and return it to previous levels. The thinking is that it's relatively easy to manipulate weight within a 20 - 30 pound range, but once we get out of that range, we're fighting Mother Nature. At that point, intuitive eating will return us to our previously high weights because that's what our bodies are signaling us to do.

The problem with IE is that its fundamental premise is that when we listen to our bodies, we'll achieve and maintain a normal weight. The past fifty years of obesity research has shown that notion to be dead wrong for overweight and obese people. If we listen to our bodies, we'll stay fat. Instead, we need to be constantly aware of our food choices and make thoughtful decisions based on our brains, not our stomachs.

I don't mean to be a bummer about IE and it certainly is an enticing idea, but it just doesn't seem to work for most of us.

Size 22/size 4
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Maintenance Strategy

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 pm

This woman is 5'7" 394# start, 308# currently, heading to 250#. I follow her thoughts closely. I think of her as a mentor.

I don't have PCOS, though I have some of the symptoms, and most definitely the insulin resistance.

I've been dieting since I was 5. I spent far more time on diets than off them (but when I went off I really went OFF, so I could undo every bit of progress I'd made in a week or two, just in a single day).

Until "this time," every time I've lost (big or small) I gained it all back (and then some). Since every diet only resulted, ultimately in my getting even fatter than I started, I was very reluctant to try again.

It was always one step forward, and two steps back. Big leaps in weight loss only resulted in bigger leaps of weight gain.

"The difference" this time is that I am not only celebrating weight loss, but weight maintenance as well. When I only celebrated weight loss, it always felt like I was failing more than succeeding. When failures drastically outnumber success, it seems very reasonable to quit. You start feeling "obviously I just can't do this, so why keep trying."

You get sick of bashing your head into the same wall, over and over. But when maintenance is success, you get to experience a lot more success. There's never a reason to "stop" working at weight management.

And I really think that's the secret, just "not giving up." I really think that most people regain when they stop doing what they were doing to lose and maintain their weight loss. They stop doing it for a lot of reasons, but most of them (I think) boil down to they feel like their failures far outnumber successes to the point that success seems eternally out of reach.

"This time" is different for me, because I've redefined success so that I'm succeeding far more than I'm failing. I haven't just relabeled failure as success, so I can feel happy. I've redefined success in a way that makes it easier for me to stay motivated enough to keep trying at least as hard (and hopefully a little more) than I did yesterday.

It's like brushing teeth. No one thinks "Dang, this is monotonous, there's no way I can do this twice a day, every day for the rest of my life?

And of course, no one decides "Man I suck, I might as well never brush my teeth again," if they forget to brush their teeth one morning. You just do it as soon as you remember, and move on with your day and your life.

I'm not afraid of regaining it this time, because I know exactly what it will take to regain. I know that if I don't devote some time every day to weight loss (or at least weight maintenance) I am going to regain. So not regaining is very simple - looking at weight management as "normal," something that has to be a part of every day. I can't do it just until I lose weight, I have to do it every day, forever. And when I don't do that, I haven't "blown it," I just have to get right back to my "normal" routine, the routine that allows me to maintain the weight loss I've acheived so far, and hopefully allows me to lose just a little more.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

IE Not

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Another excellent post from a successful maintainer on how IE is not the way to go for most overweight/obese people.

Well first of all, it would be *easier*, with more leeway that is, to maintain a 225 pound person, than a 135 person, I would think.

So I do think it would be more difficult, with less leeway and less *room for error* to maintain a "normal" weight, than an obese or overweight one.

That aside, and this is coming from not only an obese person, but a super morbidly obese person, which is the only perspective I know of - IE scares the living you know what out of me.

YEs, I have learned a ton about portions, nutrition, not eating my emotions, yada, yada, yada - but I can't/won't rely on IE. I'm not taking any chances!!

I also don't see the need or purpose to not count calories and have to rely solely IE. At this point, and it's been this way for years for me already, it is no hardship or burden to count my calories. None at all. It's easy shmeazy. Zero effort. Zero. And it's freed me up to have the life of my dreams.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:08 pm

A thank you to you and BA for continuing to post on this site even though you are calorie counters. You have read my story so I won't repeat. I wish more could learn that the burden of keeping track is not the same burden we all went through with WW and CC in the past. The software, nutrition labels, and internet make it sooo easy.

I have just completed one month using DP and started at 204.5 and weighed in today at 189.6. There was a scale change in there that would not make these numbers perfect. But there is no denying that I am going down and that my pants are getting loose. Unfortunately, I just kept going up, up, up trying to make NoS work for me. I had lost I thought for the last time on WW and maintained by counting points for years. The siren call of inutitive eating lured me and when that didn't work I thought NoS was the answer. I really was trying my best to avoid counting so I understand those on this board who resist it.

For now, I am not even trying to follow a calorie budget. It is just working out, probably from things I have learned from NoS habits established. I just needed a little accountabliity. I am not hungry and am eating real food. I haven't had a lean cuisine or any diet food. Sometimes I plan ahead and other times I just jot down what I eat and enter it when I can get to my laptop. I already had been reading and studying nutrition and had added back good fats (the ones that are supposed to be bad)

I don't think I will be trying to hold discussions with the board since they are not following my plan, but I will continue to post on my thread. I also started a new one once I began DP. And, of course, I will check up on you and BA. When I maintained before, I lived on 3FC as a lurker. That was the only place I could find any longterm maintainers. So I think you are serving a good purpose here as a successful maintainer. Thank you!
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

connorcream

Bright Angel Open Mind

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 pm

An excellent, excellent post by Bright Angel reproduced in blue below.

Today I weighed 128.4#. I love my life and the foods I eat. I found foods that are good for ME and taste good that I do not cry over not having the other foods. How pitiful it would be for me to cry over not eating a food when my DS is writhing in pain in his bed after eating queso and chips. When I see his pain and food limitations, it stops my whining complaining down fast. I am grateful I can chose without pain and intestinal scaring.

Case in point. I love oatmeal. My dear, loving husband has made it for us every week (twice/week) for almost 30 years. All types through he years- rolled oats, steel cut oats, irish oats, organic, Whole Foods quality. I love the stuff and I love him for making it in the morning for the family. Both his parents and grandparents made the stuff. Long, happy, family tradition and memories.

Then I started tracking my carbs, hunger, cravings. I started to lose slower when I got close to my goal weight. DS was diagnosed with Crohn's and I started reading about grains having problems with some people. Rosacea being one of many manifestations of this problem. Rosacea certainly started clearing up with weight loss as did my cycle irregularity but I wondered about the carbs/grains. NO FOOD is more important than MY health. I am not so slavish to HAVE to have something if it is bad for me. So I started to monitor my carb levels, oatmeal included. Surprise, surprise, oatmeal was not the best food for me for breakfast. I do have higher cravings, I do get hungrier than other choices, and my weight loss did slow down. It isn't horrible, it just isn't the best. Second best just isn't good enough anymore.

So, I do not eat oatmeal as a hot cereal anymore. I do have it in pancakes (1/3 cp) on Sunday to fit in with the families pancakes/waffles. I do like 1 tbsp sprinkled on baked apples. But this is not the 1/2 cup oatmeal, with brown sugar, dried fruit, and a pat butter of a year ago. Could it be the lower calories? Perhaps, but the cravings and satiety is better. Hence, my recommendation to write down both fact and feelings in food journals.

I try to keep an Open Mind,
which involves continuing to receive and process information
about subjects on which I have already formed an Opinion.
I constantly work to retain the Ability to Change My Mind.

It sounds as though you might tend to have a "closed" mind on some issues.
To see if that's true for you....
Can you get yourself to Accept the Possibility that there may be Truth in These Thoughts ?
"Perhaps carb restriction is an excellent thing for some people."
....."Perhaps...even though I hate the idea....I MIGHT be one of those people."

"Perhaps fruit and oatmeal are not good foods for some people."
....."Perhaps...even though I love them...I MIGHT be one of those people."

"Perhaps I need to continue gathering information about a low-carb diet
...while retaining my current opinion....
and keep open my Option to CHANGE MY MIND."
Quote:
There is a principle
which is a bar against all information,
which is proof against all arguments and
which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance
– that principle is contempt prior to investigation.

Quote:
I offer this reverse statement and a possible cure for everlasting ignorance;
"Investigation prior to contempt."
To begin with we must keep an open mind and not fear alternative ways of thinking.

Second we must look at multiple sources
to see if they provide answers with similar views and beliefs.

Third we must consider the date in time of the previous statement
and any advancements in technology and research that may now
adequately disprove this past belief and

Fourth we must be aware of our own ability to interpret the truth utilizing our sixth sense
because deep inside we all have the ability to know when something feels right.
Self-honesty is not easy but it is attainable
if we have the willingness, courage and patience to stay the course!

Quote:
Life is an amazing journey with many twists, turns and unexpected road blocks,
but there is no need for us to make things worse.
Sure we need to trust,
and sure we would love to trust everything from doctors to the Holy Scriptures,
from our Grandma to Google,
but blind faith doesn't necessarily guarantee that all statements are true
and that they’re actually in our best interests.
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.

Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis,
when you find that anything agrees with reason
and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all,
then accept it and live up to it.
Last edited by connorcream on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:03 pm

TexArk wrote:A thank you to you and BA for continuing to post on this site even though you are calorie counters.

For now, I am not even trying to follow a calorie budget. It is just working out, probably from things I have learned from NoS habits established. I just needed a little accountabliity. I am not hungry and am eating real food. I haven't had a lean cuisine or any diet food. Sometimes I plan ahead and other times I just jot down what I eat and enter it when I can get to my laptop. I already had been reading and studying nutrition and had added back good fats (the ones that are supposed to be bad)

I don't think I will be trying to hold discussions with the board since they are not following my plan, but I will continue to post on my thread.

. And, of course, I will check up on you and BA. When I maintained before, I lived on 3FC as a lurker. That was the only place I could find any longterm maintainers. So I think you are serving a good purpose here as a successful maintainer. Thank you!
I think while one is larger, it is easier to create a deficit and still lose. I think this is good because one is still acquiring information and one can only do so much of that at the beginning. Over time, you might need to set a budget, but by then you will have habits, foods, concepts in place. May not be needed but not as hard as one might think either.

I will start reading your posting. Glad you check in with me. Please feel free to post. 3FC is heavenly. I am always encouraged there along my journey. I rarely get into general board discussions here. I do not have the time and I do not want to argue with success. It is the plea asking for help that pulls at my heart and then, sometimes, I post.

The isle of denial is not a place I will ever go back to again. Never, ever.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Budget Christmas & Calories/Carbs

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Friends, may I digress yet again to money. What occurs next month, Christmas, on the 25th. Comes every year on the same day. DH & I budget (plan) for it all year. We take out $$ each pay period (25 of them) based on spending patterns of previous year and with our other financial goals in mind. I do not have infinite money, I am not Santa. This year, after Jan 1, 2011, we will review spending of 2010 and make savings adjustments for Christmas 2011. We do not have a credit card, we do not go into debt. We don't play games with credit. We have a fabulous holiday. For the record, we never carried a credit card balance when we had credit cards. Cut those suckers up September 2006:-)

How is planning and living on a calorie/carb budget any different? The credit in the body's case is fat. If I know eating challenges are coming up, whether they are parties, events or dreary weather, and I am at maintenance, I want to be lower going into them. Which I am. When I was losing, I knew my budget because I had started October 6, 2009, and preplanned 90-95% my eating. I called ahead, I would use my pda and input my meals, I used a variety of techniques to manage. I posted to veteran maintainers and got their thoughts, just like getting financial advice from successful money managers. I lost weight during the holidays even while travelling. Check my threads from those days and you will see that this it true. I was not miserable, forlorn, unpopular with family & friends. I found ways to fit in while keeping my WL #1 priority.

There was a learning curve but it wasn't long and I found it exhilarating to know what was best for me. I still get a thrill discovering new foods, new articles on health. I have since found out, being fit makes the lives of those I love happier.

Cantering on the rail with my twin teenage sons and 9 yr old daughter. No aches & pains. Couldn't do this if I was still fat.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Muscle Mass Myth

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

My own reading has come to same conclusion:

Furthermore, my own research into muscle mass and calorie burn
tells me that...despite what many trainers say.....
this is another one of those exaggerated, myth-like beliefs.
A few lbs of additional muscle actually increases one's calorie burn only a very little.

Here's a quote from a BodyBuilding Expert whose opinion I respect:
Quote:
Question: #4 – Adding muscle mass through weight training
helps accelerate fat loss/weight loss.

Answer: FALSE

An additional pound of skeletal muscle only burns an extra 5 calories per day.
This is an insignificant amount of calories.

It doesn’t matter how much muscle you think you can build,
it will never add up to enough to help burn any real amount of fat.

http://johnbarban.com/4-adding-muscle-a ... ss-answer/

48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for the travel/holiday tips. Most of the time I will have access to kitchen but there will be many more meals eaten out than I am used to. And, oh boy, the old grilled chicken salad can get old.

I can, of course, look up many restaurants on the web. Have you been to DWLZ site? She has links to many, many restaurants and gives the calorie and WW pts for menu items.

I will be in Texas and would appreciate any chain restaurant meals you have discovered and would be willing to share. I found the Caribbean Grilled Shrimp salad at Chiles which was a nice substitute for the grilled chicken. It is the TexMex that I have difficulty planning around.

I won't take up your space to get off topic, but I wanted you to know I share the homeschool experience. My husband and I are both university professors and we managed to homeschool daughter and work at the same time. (And I, ironically, was an education professor!--recently retired)
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 pm

For me, those foods I avoid, are starches & grains. I do better without them in many ways. I am not celiac, I have no wheat allergies per se. I just do better. Salt is last on my list when making decisions. It doesn't mean I like gobs of salt, far from it (I get organic canned beans no salt, and use sea salt when I want a salty addition) it is just that there are only so many variables that I can control when someone else is cooking. Especially a restaurant, and salt isn't what makes me fat. Perhaps bloated, but not fat.

Black Eyed Pea- Blacked Cajun Catfish, no rice, double veggies, no rolls, no honey, no cornbread, no sweet tea.

Cracker Barrel- Low carb chicken smothered in cheese, sides are green beans, turnip greens. No bread, no jelly, no honey.

Applebees- Asiago Peppered Steak, no potatoes, double veggies.

Chipotle- Carnitas, sour cream, sometimes guacamole, salad, no bowl, 1/2 corn relish. Green salsa. No cheese, no cheapo tortilla. See below, I have better choices. Love this place.

Mac Donalds- Southwestern salad, no dressing. Do eat the tortilla chips.

I haven't been to Chilis yet but I have wanted to try the shrimp you ordered. I would not have gotten the starchy side, subbed out for double veggies.

Wendy's- Large chili bowl, with cheese & sour cream. No potato, small salad with fresh squeezed lemon juice. I also always have prepackaged lemon juice for salad occasions. Salad dressings, if ordered, are always on the side. Some salads taste better with lemon juice, salt & pepper.

TexMex- I like enchiladas. In my fair city, tortillas whether flour or corn, are ASSUMED, to be made by hand- fresh. Often times, the ladies are out where one can watch them. This is a starch I indulge in at times. With enchiladas, I order 1 green (salsa verde) chicken, 1 cheese, no rice or beans, salad instead. Pico de gallo (or salsa used with the chips) is used as my salad dressing. Sometimes, I will eat 10 crispy corn chips. But as of late, for me, I enjoy so much a hot fresh flour tortilla with a butter pat and a sprinkling of salt, that I forgo the chips altogether. I have the calories for the chips, but I really do not like carb cravings and that is what I am monitoring closely these days. My weight is great. I am now fine tuning what foods I enjoy, and what are their effects.

If I am in hotel/suite with micro & refrigerator (I call ahead), that is awesome. Instead of following the herd to the nearest fast food joint with a wait and, I go to a marvelous deli or if driving would have brought something from home. Trader Joes was close to where I was staying 2 weeks ago in VA, I researched what would be good choices to eat, DH & I had a delicious salmon dinner, green beans, sparkling water. Hazlenut chocolates & hand crafted beer for dessert with friends in our living room. I had the 1-2 # bounce up, but after 48 hrs of lower carb, lower cal eating, the bounce comes off. I do not indulge in a treat, until this bounce has settled back down. I want to see that it is water retention ( I think more from carbs than salt), it leaves, then I can enjoy my treats.

If I am staying in a friend's home, I chalk it up to doing the best I can do, still recording all that I eat, and notice if anything causes a reaction. 2-3 meals is not what caused me to get fat. Let's be real and keep perspective. Also I use these infrequent opportunities, to learn more about my body. Cravings, flushing, lethargy, mind wandering to a particular food and thinking about it too often are the types of reactions I key to. For example, this happened when I had chips & sour cream dip a few months ago. I found this combination to have such a pull on my desires that I refuse to ever eat it again. I have never binged, nor did I do so on this occasion. It was the strong desire to eat more that I did not like. I found myself distracted by them, so that the pleasure of the taste was out weighed by the discomfort of the attraction. I have seen some mention of various food combinations having this effect of people. Food companies have spent vast sums of money to know what most people like to eat. I take this knowledge, and decide for me that it isn't worth it. Does this happen often, no. In fact, I have a very experienced handle on it so that when I notice these reactions, I really enjoy the self discovery. I write it down in my journal to further help me remember.

While losing, I did not want a self induced plateau, so I did not risk it with useless calories. But with maintanence, I am allowing so foods back in, with careful thought.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 pm

connorcream,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the travel suggestions in your post. I have copied it to my check in and I am sure there are others who will appreciate this as well.

TexArk

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Connorcream. Your continued weight loss is incredible :) At this point are you just rolling with it until your weight stablizes, or do you still have another lower number you're trying to reach?
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I do not have a lower number in mind. 121 is the lowest weight for my height and age so that is the bottom. Never, ever thought I would ever be near this number again. My hair is healthy and full, nails are strong (if kept trimmed), new fillings allowing me to eat blackberries again. Facial color is great. I will see dermatologist after the holidays for ipl treatment. I look forward to the feedback on that visit.

I love moving but not compulsively so. I walk about 2 miles a day. Some days less, some days more. No gym. Resistance bands for weight training.

Right now, I am enjoying the weight cushion with the holidays. I was at the symphonythis morning, followed by lunch at the zoo with DD, grand baby, twins, & youngest DD. A nice lady had brought in white trash party mix for the children but we had missed the Bible Study because of the symphony. DD brought it with her for the picnic. So, I enjoyed about 400 calories worth of the stuff, 1 cup, happily munching away. Total cal count for today is 1383 including the trash. I get the sugar attraction but it wasn't as compulsive as the salty, carby, fatty one. I will also be interested if I see a bounce up. I am not set on my carb level yet. It takes many months of clear recording to see these patterns.

I really enjoy my foods. There is no hardship in eating 2 poached eggs, over steamed spinach with greek seasonings (no msg), with black berries (50 gm) and strawberries (5 med) on the side. Coffee with sf pumpkin pie spice and I have a breakfast I look forward to each week that also is satiating for hours. No need to worry about snacking when I have foods that keep me full until the next meal.

Lunch (195 cal) feta cheese, pepitas, garbanzo beans, roasted beets, grape tomatoes, red bell peppers, ff balsalmic dressing (16 gm-8cal) on romaine. I will have pomegranate seeds on my salad tomorrow. I look forward to my beautiful salads or soups.

Dinner tonight, pork stir fry (370cal), roasted brussel sprouts (100gm-36 cal), with an apple crisp for dessert (131 cal).

I haven't found the hard yet. Maybe it will come but for now, I am enjoying the ride. So I am enjoying my low weight. What a better place to be in than a year (or many years) ago. My life is so much happier.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:13 pm

Heading into the holidays for which there is so much to be grateful. I am on a high with my body and I don't know if it will stop. I do know that for today, it is fantastic.

I am keying in on my carb range in general but need to overlap that with my hormonal cycle. I might find my carb desires and sensitivity are tied to it. I found another banned food yesterday, french fries to go with potato chips & dip. Ate about 250 cal, certainly fit on my plate quite easily. They pushed my carb count up even though cal count was 1270 for the day. I saw a bounce up immediately this morning. The bounce isn't the part that is a concern as I will eat low cal/carb today & tomorrow. It is the desire to eat more and more of those things. So much easier to just not start. They aren't worth it for me. Nothing tastes as good as trim feels. I have never regretted not eating something. I appreciate this new found knowledge but I do not need a repeat experiment. So avoid them I will.

2 miles of walking exercises, resistance bands, heading to the stables for riding with the children, meals planned out on my pda for the rest of the week. So much easier to stay on plan when I have one.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Hanukah?

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 pm

This post was in response to how to deal with Hanakua. This is applicable for any holiday, religious or secular. Somehow, if it is religious, there seems to be more permission to indulge. I did exactly what this poster did last year during my weight loss. It is possible to lose weight during the holiday season and be happy as well. It is highly unlikely it will happen without a plan. What is your plan?

We've got no shortages of food challenges that's for sure.

In September, we had 20 Thanksgivings in one month if you are just counting the days of the holidays X 2, plus the one meal before Yom Kippur and after. That's a LOT of food.

Did I mention my key to navigating them all is definite NO's and planning? It's the only way. It is essential given the over abundance of food we are faced with.

You've got to learn how to honor the holidays, while still honoring yourself. You (I don't mean you in particular, just you as in general, as in - people) can't use your religion as an excuse to overfeed yourself. It's really just the opposite in fact. We are taught to be constructive, not destructive. G-d sure did make it challenging though! But the truth is, you will see as you go along, that once you get through a holiday unscathed that you can do it. And it's empowering and you build confidence and it propels you to do it the next time and the next time... And each time you will be less fearful.

It takes time though - and definite NO'S and planning and definite NO's and planning
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

nowornever83

Post by nowornever83 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:26 am

Hi Connorcream!

Congrats on your tremendous success! That is so impressive and inspiring. I would like to incorporate calories counting as well because I don't think No S will give me the loss I am looking for alone.

Can you please share how you calculated the number of calories needed to lose?

Thank you! :)

connorcream

Calorie Budget

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:05 am

This is a question posed very often. How I did it, was to go online and find several calorie calculator suggestions, including the LoseIt App. I did not use exercise calories burned. I used the sedentary lowest level. I think I came across a coma level somewhere, I didn't use that:-)

This was my starting point for calorie counting minus 750 cal (1 1/2#/week loss). Then I started tracking. I knew this was a rough, ball park, lets pick something not completely random but close to it, kinda of number. Actually, I started tracking a few days before this in a buffet continental breakfast area of Hampton Inns. I was searching my small ipod in the lobby for this other information.

I thought it would take me a couple of months to fine tune this budget number. It really took 1-2 weeks. It is easier creating a deficit when fat in most cases, and it was in mine. So this loss is motivational while learning new skills.

As I got better at counting calories, my calorie budget became more tailored to me. I almost got side tracked with the losing too fast is bad for maintenance myth. So glad I had saner advice to rely on. I never counted any "calories" burned due to exercise. If any occured, it would be considered a bonus and not the purpose of exercising for me.

For clarity, today I walked for 2 miles, did resistance bands for strength training and rode for an hour. Cantered with some polish on the rails. This time last, I wasn't doing anything exeercise wise.

I must single out Bright Angel at this point. She was a font of good sense and wise counsel. I would sadly be remiss in not publicly thanking her. She is one of the many things for which I am thankful for at this time of year.

All of my life is better with the excess weight history. I really cannot state this fact to strongly.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Calorie Budget

Post by connorcream » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:06 am

This is a question posed very often. How I did it, was to go online and find several calorie calculator suggestions, including the LoseIt App average this nubmer together. I did not use exercise calories burned. I used the sedentary lowest level. I think I came across a coma level somewhere, I didn't use that:-)

This was my starting point for calorie counting minus 750 cal (1 1/2#/week loss). Then I started tracking. I knew this was a rough, ball park, lets pick something not completely random but close to it, kinda of number. Actually, I started tracking a few days before this in a buffet continental breakfast area of Hampton Inns. I was searching my small ipod in the lobby for this other information. Nothing like starting a major overall of one's life in a chaotic place. But I had had enough of being fat. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I thought it would take me a couple of months to fine tune this budget number. It really took 1-2 weeks. It is easier creating a deficit when fat in most cases, and it was in mine. So this loss is motivational while learning new skills.

As I got better at counting calories, my calorie budget became more tailored to me. I almost got side tracked with the losing too fast is bad for maintenance myth. So glad I had saner advice to rely on. I never counted any "calories" burned due to exercise. If any occured, it would be considered a bonus and not the purpose of exercising for me.

For clarity, today I walked for 2 miles, did resistance bands for strength training and rode for an hour. Cantered with some polish on the rails. This time last, I wasn't doing anything exercise wise.

I must single out Bright Angel at this point. She was a font of good sense and wise counsel. I would sadly be remiss in not publicly thanking her. She is one of the many things for which I am thankful for at this time of year.

All of my life is better with the excess weight history. I really cannot state this fact too strongly.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

nowornever83

Post by nowornever83 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Thank you for sharing! Like others, you have inspired me to incorporate calorie counting. I am done with feeling icky about myself!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Image Thanks for your kind words.

connorcream

Carb Facts BA

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Copied from Bright Angel's thread

No So Forum Member wrote:
Gary Taubes said it was carbohydrates that triggers appetite.
The problem with eliminating carbs is you need them so you end up craving them.

The above-quoted statement is inaccurate.

There is a difference between Hunger and Appettite.

Hunger is the "body's call for nourishment".
Appetite is the "desire for gratification of some want, craving, or passion;
therefore appetite is eating and drinking for relaxation and pleasure.

But...of course...Cravings and Urges don't ONLY originate in the Body.
Some, due to conditioning, originate in the Mind.

The craving for Alcohol by an Alcoholic seems to have a physical element,
and these cravings are reduced and even disappear via abstinance.
Low-Carbers believe that cravings for carbs--especially refined sugars and starches
have a physical element,
and these cravings are reduced and even disappear via carb-restriction.

The Low-Carb position is:
Insulin is what drives physical Hunger.
A reduction of carbohydrates is a reduction of insulin.
Therefore, reducing carbs...and thereby reducing insulin...
will reduce the physical craving for excess food.

Research studies have proven that the Human body
will SURVIVE and THRIVE without carbohydrates.

While the Body can USE Carbohydrates, it does not NEED them. .

Furthermore,
Low-carb eating is only a reduction, not a total elimination, of carbs.
Almost every low-carb plan includes green leafy vegetables,
and other low-starch vegetables like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower,
cucumbers...and father along, nuts and berries etc., all of which have carbs.

Even those hard-core, zero-carb people get a few carbs from their eggs,
cheese, yogurt, trace amounts of onion, garlic and spices for seasoning.

I find it interesting to note that studies clearly show
that meat and other animal products contain,
every single vitamin and mineral...except for vitamin C,
and in much larger amounts than what is found in fruits and vegetables.

and these studies also indicate that
eating a high amount of sugar and starch
actually DEPLETES the body's vitamin and mineral supply.
and that this process actually causes the body to need more of them,
including vitaman C.

For example--the famous scurvy that English seamen got
which was remedied by eating lemons ..citris fruit...,
only happened to those whose diets were Very High Carb,
while the seamen who ate higher protein with few carbs
did not suffer from scurvy.

So WHY aren't these dietary facts commonly known and understood?
I think this becomes very clear when we are wise enough to..
FOLLOW THE MONEY.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

TexArk Every Bite Counts

Post by connorcream » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Copied from TexArk's thread.

While thinking about how every bite counts, I came across this post from a blog that says it all. I want it on my thread so I can refer to it. I think the podcast on S Days Gone Wild is great, but I never overcame the S day mentality until I admitted that every bite counts. This blog refers to a thread on 3 Fat Chicks as well as the blogger's ideas.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Every Bite Counts
I had a huge light bulb moment last night as I was reading this thread on the "3 Fat Chicks" website (GREAT place for support, by the way!) It's a thread about "cheat days," which is what some people call it when you plan a day to go off your eating plan and eat whatever you want. The theory is that if you PLAN a day like that every so often, it makes it easier to stay on plan the rest of the time. Whenever you are craving something, you just tell yourself that you can have it on your cheat day, but you have to wait until then to have it. The problem is that for some people (like me), a cheat day turns into a cheat week or a cheat month and it's really hard to get back on track. Or if you have problems with bingeing, it isn't any hardship to ingest upwards of 4 or 5 thousand calories on a cheat day (yes I have done that), and it really messes up all your hard work you did eating right all week.

Anyway, reading through that thread, it hit me. Every bite counts. EVERY. Now, maybe this sounds obvious, but how many times have I gotten up, started a healthy eating day, and then at lunch "slipped up" and had pizza? Then I would tell myself, "oh well, I ruined my day, so I may as well have candy bars and burgers and fries for dinner and start over fresh tomorrow." Isn't that something a LOT of people are in the habit of doing? We look at our eating aka "diet" in terms of a UNIT. One good day (eating the right number of points or calories or whatever your plan is) is a Unit of Success, and a Bad Day (eating over your limit, not counting calories, eating junk) is a Unit of Failure. Sometimes we even try to string days together, as in "I will start on Monday" or the first of the month or after Christmas or whatever, which is an excuse to eat badly and not count anything until we "start again" on that special date.

WHO came up with this idea??? Why is a "DAY" the unit of success or failure?? Who decided that if you eat badly for lunch, you can just eat whatever you want for the rest of the day and start over in the morning? It's as if we think that "one bad day" is a single unit of failure, whether we ate 2000 or 5000 calories, it's the same because it is just ONE bad day. It makes no sense!! EVERY BITE COUNTS, people, whether you eat a Hershey bar on a "bad" day because you are bingeing or eat it on a "good" day and add it into your calorie count, it is STILL 210 calories going into your body. You HAVE to stop looking at it as good and bad days. It is your LIFE.

What I mean is this. Say you are aiming to eat 1500 calories per day to lose weight (substitute WW points or whatever other unit or plan you are using). Now, say your week looks like this:

Monday: 1500
Tuesday: 1470
Wednesday: 1460
Thursday: 1520
Friday: 1460
Saturday: 3200
Sunday: 2900

You slipped up on Saturday and told yourself you would start over on Monday. You had only 2 bad days. But now you have eaten 13,510 calories for the week which averages out to 1910 per day... way over your limit. And you wonder why you haven't lost weight. Because every bite counts, and the unit is not a day, or even a week. It is a lifetime. When you eat something you shouldn't have, it's over. Stop, and eat right from that very moment on. Have a healthy dinner. Keep going. A bad meal is way better than a whole bad weekend.

You want a cheat day? Every bite you take counts, because it still goes into your body, counted or not. Every bite either helps you get closer to your goal or slows you down from reaching it. So the question becomes, how badly do you want it? Do you want to lose weight more than you want that cookie? Then put it down. Every time you eat something unhealthy or go over your calorie limit, you are effectively putting a speed bump... or even a roadblock... in between you and your goal. Every bite you take determines whether you will reach your goal weight in 6 months, 12 months, 3 years, or never. What do you REALLY want?
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

NSV Rosacea

Post by connorcream » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Howdy,
I had my IPL treatment for Rosacea today. The nurse was delighted to see how good my skin looked. I attribute it to 1. lower weight & 2. lower grain/carb consumption.

9 mon ago this dear lady was trying nutrisystem. It didn't work for her and told her what I did. I have so many thoughts now that I didn't have a year ago, when I was in the process of losing. Many of these ideas have originated here. Such as Fitday, food journaling a variety of reactions and not just weight loss/gain, swapping out breakfast foods for lunch or dinner options, knowing wl is possible for everyone, it wasn't only for the lucky, the nutritionist, the wl corporations. This absolute confidence that she can learn what her body needs is a wonderful and critical component to a healthy weight. It certainly escaped me for years. The isle of denial as I call it so often.

She can't have dairy in the AM because of her medicine, but she could rearrange her meals to have dairy products in the lunch or dinner slot.

One idea that has come to me that I have learned from Taubes, Lustig & others and that I shared with her is that perhaps being overweight is not a result of sloth & gluttony but rather an energy process in the body not working properly due to the types for food eaten combined with genetic predispositions. I have a limit of calories I adhere to, however, where those calories comes from really matters. I learned that 1#=3500 cal and so I aimed for a 750 cal deficit to create a 1 1/2# wl each week.That has been adjusted over time to where I know what my cal & carbs need to be to lose. I cannot really back the 3500=1# for me but one does need to start somewhere in the creating a calorie deficit plan. I think of it like calorie calculators which gives people such trouble. One has to START somewhere realizing that number is going to need to be adjusted. Yet, isn't that true for the rest of my life, that this number will need to be adjusted (downwards) over time. Figuring that out now along with daily weighing will help me to maintain. As I get older, I will not need more calories

I have the best present, the best body possible. It makes everything else so much better.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I felt after reading another post that I needed this disclaimer: very few people know I record my food intake. Only if asked directly, as the nurse did yesterday, or a close friend who is struggling, will I speak of particulars. Otherwise, I speak in generalities.

There is no franctic recording of food on my apps at social events. I do not need to, usually, I have done it ahead of time, in the comfort and sanity of my home. I know what my boundaries are. Same thing with spending money. I do not just go blindly into a store without knowing what I will buy and how much I can afford. Same principal. This has given my life a pleasure and joy for which I am ever grateful. Off to lunch with a friend at Jason's Deli, tonight party at the parish. All POP.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

Pernetty

Post by Pernetty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:12 am

I agree, there's nothing worse than a "I'm on a diet, so I can't have this or that" conversation. Much debate given on this topic but bottom line - keep it to yourself. Diet talk is capital B Boring.

Once calorie counting becomes second nature, there's no point making a big deal about it.

P

TexArk

Budget Analogy

Post by TexArk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:50 pm

I wanted to tell you that I really think you are on to something fundamental when you compare CC to staying within a financial budget. I think this is a way of thinking that is vital for success. Fortunately my husband and I have always been on the same page when it comes to spending, saving, and being debtfree. I always think before I buy anything, asking questions such as, "Do I need this?" "Do I have room for this?" "Can I afford this?" And I certainly keep up with the money I spend. I don't want to have cash going out that is not accounted for.

When you made the connection between the two, a lightbulb went on. This is why the cc add on is working for me. I don't mind monitoring my spending...I actually make a game and challenge out of it and that is why this way of eating is such a perfect fit.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

connorcream

Random thoughts

Post by connorcream » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Howdy,
I weighed in at 127# today. Last year on this date I weighed 180#. I had already lost 12#, I did not know where the journey was going except I was glad to be on it at last.

Some Things I have learned
1. I did not need to have it all figured out to start. I did not know about fat cells dividing and remaining from being over weight, carbs and their deleterious effects, watp, various strategies on how to manage food situations at meetings, in restaurants, TRAVELING, muscle training, resistance bands, etc..
2. What I did know was that to lose weight I need to create a calorie deficit. I used the equation of 3500 cal=1#. I needed to find my burn rate and I needed to know the calorie content of foods. I then could create a deficit.
3. I also knew, I was responsible for MY weight loss. No one else. So I needed to educate myself accordingly. So I started reading, studying, thinking. I began to weed out diet fact from fiction, an amazingly twisted mess at times.
4. I knew maintance was where my true success would be. What I was doing to lose weight, I would continue for the rest of my life. So I had better like it or I would not keep doing it.
5. I also tagged off other successful behaviors I had in other areas of my life during this transistion period.

Just a few thoughts for those who might be interested, including myself. Heading out to lunch with DD (9 month pregnant & dear friend). It is so cool to be at this weight, as I will be baking tomorrow with the kids. Last year, no self induced plateaus, this year some wiggle room.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Re: Random thoughts

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:29 pm

connorcream wrote:I weighed in at 127# today.
Last year on this date I weighed 180#.
I had already lost 12#

1. I did not need to have it all figured out to start.

2. What I did know was that to lose weight I need to create a calorie deficit.

3. I also knew, I was responsible for MY weight loss.

4. I knew maintance was where my true success would be.
What I was doing to lose weight, I would continue for the rest of my life.
Congratulations connorcream Image

connorcream

Planning to Succeed

Post by connorcream » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Howdy,
I thought a summary of how I plan during another stressful eating time might be helpful. General principles are good, lived examples are good too.

DD, 9 month pregnant was over yesterday afternoon. We nibbled about 300 cal on sweet treats from a dear friend, while planning the holiday menu and various activities. Ancillary things wew had to consider were but not limited to: dear granddaughter who is potty training (2 1/2); a son who has had flares from Crohn's off and on from Thanksgiving gratefully no hospitalization; aantoher college age son in from college; usual day to day business; and another DS coming in for a week for festivities 12/24. I started to feel anxious about my eating plan. I do not want to weigh in Jan 3 to see a 10# bounce up. I have learned to recognize this unsettled feeling as a warning sign to take preemptive action. I am responsible for every calorie that goes into my mouth. No one has ever forced me to gain 1#. I did it of my own accord, true with ignorance, but none the less, it was my fault. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

So, I wrote out the menu with DD getting suggestions from other family members what their favorite must haves are, along with upcoming activities: strolling River Walk, Mass- Daily & Solemnity, more light looking, etc..., for the next 2 weeks. I have different colored calendars on my iMac for my different meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner note I do NOT have a snack one) along with various activity colored calendars too (doctors appts, general, horse riding, and so forth). I inputted these meals into the calendar and synced it to my itouch. This way, I have at an easy glance, what I am eating for the day. Writing before biting during these high stress times has been a marvelous calming tactic. I have used this method when travelling, remember the 3 week 2010 summer car trip out west covering some 4,000 miles). Using this basic structure, set the logistics for shopping, baking in stages with some foods (blintzes-crepes I make about 150 & German cheesecake yeast breakfast bread, to name a couple).

How long did this take, about 30 minutes, after DD & I had nailed down what we wanted to do. I had already in my data the calorie counts for go to meals, I now what my carb levels should be, I have a kitchen stocked with foods that are good for me long after I have finished chewing them. This is the longest amount of time I have spent calorie counting in a while. Thanksgiving, was only a week, where as this was until Jan 3. There is also some wiggle room for unexpected situations. But really, there will always be unexpected events (just like spending money). Knowing my budget will help me make good choices and to continue to maintain.

A new baby coming, will cause some time adjustments, but not a fundemental structure change. In addition, DH said our oldest DS got a call from a head hunter recruiting him for a job in town. That would be another stress factor to consider. But that is for another posting.

Do you have different parameters to work with? I am sure you do. When I am visiting at other peoples homes (including family) I used to think I had little control. However, once I took responsiblity for MY health, when it became my tiptop, #1 priority, I started saying and doing things differently in those situations. Having a plan was key to my success in losing during the holidays. Do you have a Mac and an iTouch? I seriously doubt it. But you do have access to the internet and there are many sites and helps to be found. I use Fitday every day for some features.

Off to my Christmas coffee, egg white omelet, loaded with veggies, and a side of fresh blackberries & strawberries. Baking with the children today. With my menu preplanned, I know how much tasting I can and cannot do.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

NY Article Delayed Gratification

Post by connorcream » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Reposted by TexArk
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ntPage=all

Outstanding. Thanks TexArk, I missed this article so glad to have seen it. It is fascinating.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Happy New Year

Post by connorcream » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Howdy,
I am very interested in a reduced carb appraoch for optimal health for my family.

DS, 21yrs, Crohns, moderate to severe, $5,000 meds/month before insurance, substantial out of pocket expenses, missed work (Geek Squad), and is going to community college (Computer Engr, 3.7 GPA) instead of university while we get his intestines under control. Thanksgiving last major crisis, we will see after this weekend.

DS#1 14yr (identitical twin, genetically tested) intermittent cramps, not Crohn's (only one of 6 markers came back postitive) and continual nasal stuffiness. Adnoids (he was scoped) and tonsils not the source. Regime of nasal steroids has been the standard course of treatment.

DS 14yr (twin) Unlike DS#1, he is more distracted during his studies and his grades reflect this.

Myself, I want a sustainable, enjoyable, maintenance approach that will keep me out of denial, is adaptable as I age, minimizes cravings (constant food thoughts), eating peace.

I have done a considerable amount of reading, watching of a variety of lectures, talked to many doctors & specialists, and have decided to give a moderated to low carb approach a scientific try in our home. The twins will monitor their food and symptoms on loseit, analyze their data, and write up a science report on their findings due in May. Being home schooled allows them tremendous opportunity to monitor, study nutrition, geared towards results they are very interested in.

My 21 yr, is a tougher nut, as he is an adult. However, his health is quite precarious, and is willing to try this. Meds will be continued as well as his regular doctor visits with a leading GI in Crohn's.

For myself, I too will continue to monitor. I have found the assertions of Taubes, and others to be true for myself. Who knew that I could be healthy, fit, active, vibrant skin, healthy hair and nails, at 127.0#.

Stay tuned to the familial science experiment in connorcream's home. I thank our dear Lord, that I have both the lived experience as well as scientific expertise to do this. DH, a physicists, is fully supportive and will oversee the data for causal vs correlation errors. If we only get 50% respite, that would be a tremendous success for us. If not, then we can move on to other possible solutions knowing carbs were not contributing factor.

Taubes could very well be a watershed moment in health care.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Do keep us posted. I like your scientific approach. It is difficult to find true cause/effect relationships when there are so many variables.

My goals are weight loss, high energy level, and satiety. That is why I am starting with cutting down on carbs first and also trying to eliminate the gluten. I will see how I feel and how well I am satisfied. As far as weight loss is concerned, I think that the high protein, enough good fat, and low carb diet results in lower calories and more satiety, but I still think that calories must be counted.

It sounds as if your household will have homeschool science covered for the spring semester with each one tracking his own individual results. A good friend has a grown son (in his late forties now) who has Crohns. She and he actually had to self diagnose this back in his late teen years. Never underestimate the power of a mom--many hours in the library with medical journals. This was before the internet! He has done very well making himself an experiment of one and has been very successful with his nutrition. The doctors seem to have caught up better now.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:31 am

Bright Angel post I wanted for easy reference

As I understand the Concept,
the idea is that we won't want to eat as much,
not that we have to find a lot of substitutes.

Those who are extraordinarily sensitive to carbs,
eat primarily animal products, like meat, pork, chicken, fish, eggs,
hard and cream cheese, cream, butter, plain greek yogurt,
olive, peanut or coconut oil...
along with all leafy green vegetables and other low GI/GL carbs like brocoli, cauliflower, etc.

Those who are less carb-sensitive can also eat nuts and berries,
and higher GI/GL veggies.

The less carb sensitive people are, the more carbs they can add to their diet...
Whole grains appear to be only for those fortunate enough to be less sensitive.

The first thing almost every diet in existence limits is sugar and starch
However, this limitation might be a necessity, rather than an option,
for those who are highly "carb-sensitive"
in order to eliminate extreme hunger and ongoing cravings.

You might want to read my Check-in Thread.
It contains a quote from Taubes about this.
I have just begun personally experimenting with the concept.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Finished Breaking the Vicious Cycle & Primal Blueprint
Taubes Why We Get Fat arrived. Reading by the fire with decaf
Twins enjoying their science project. DD likes watching
DS, finished Vicious Cycle, on to Primal Blueprint
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE4cXeX7Po&NR=1
Blood Sugar: Why you can't lose the weight YouTube
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 pm

connorcream wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE4cXeX7Po&NR=1
Blood Sugar: Why you can't lose the weight YouTube
ImageConnorcream,
Thank you for posting this link. I had not seen it before.
I watched all four of the videos linked together
and was impressed with the simple, yet informative, presentation,
and will be copying the link to my personal check-in Thread.

I like the way she started with the Basic issues,
and then made a natural progression to those more complex.

I was interested in her confirmation that individual bodies differ,
...which is one of the more intriguing things I find about diets....
and I plan to watch that 4 part series again later
to more specifically watch the way she addresses that issue.

This goes very well with the issues in Taubes' new book.
Especially with chapters in the first part of his second section,
which I am now involved in briefing.

I know that you have read the book,
and have expressed an interest
in joining the discussion.
When you can find the time,
I would love to see your comments Image
about how these concepts relate to you.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:15 pm

There are many low carb approaches and many different desired outcomes. One might even say, that there as many low carb plans as there are people. We are in the midst of a medical crisis with DS 21 Crohn's. Just back from the ER after a night of pain. His definition of low carb and desired goals of success (he is 5'11" 116# before this flare) will be much different than mine. We are hoping for intestinal inflammation to subside, healthy tissue growth to start (insulin effects both of these processes), and thus allowing DS to process the food he eats properly so as to GAIN weight.

The ONLY way I know of to find out what is a sustainable plan for ANYONE, is to start a detailed food/symptom journal, while keeping this record, continue to read everything one can get a hold of, try incremental changes one at a time, again noting symptoms (weight is only one of many), then for a man (no hormonal swings to take in to account unlike a woman) after about 2-3 months assess the patterns. It will take a woman much longer 6-9 months due to hormonal shifts and this is assuming the woman even knows what those patterns are. I get the reticence with these ideas. What 21 yr wants to limit carbs, record his food, and have his mother & father hovering over him while he is crying with pain needing morphine?

At the end of this experiment, which I myself have done since Oct 6, 2009, one knows the cal/carb levels, the foods one enjoys or not, trigger foods if any, of the various symptoms experienced, and the boundaries (budget) from which to work. Bearing in mind, as we all age these levels will drift downwards. So with daily weighing, undesirable trends will be dealt with quickly. Daily recording of food may not be necessary for those who eat the same foods with known food counts regularly. A surprisingly high number of people fall into this category. They call it unintentional eating, but really, they have just mindfully figured out what works for them, and then just stay the course with that. At some point previously, they were "mindful".

DH started to roll his eyes last night with food journaling for DS in the ER, when I pointed out to him 66% of DH meals are preplanned. The other 32% is determined by me after I have sifted through possiblities. So he really, only has less that 1% of variability with his eating. No wonder he does not see the value in a journal. He had never considered this truth before. Honestly, I did not either before Oct 6, 2009.

Should the symptoms start to reoccur, just start to reassess as before assuming a fairly constant diet.

It felt good to type this out. I love knowing what I can eat in the midst of an emergency, that is sustaining for me while helping me to maintain. I even got a bit of exercise in the WATP. Also so glad, I am not weather or gym dependent. Not pleased with our well noted no show GI. I see more black clouds on the horizon.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I am sorry to hear of your son's struggles. I know he just doesn't want to deal with all of this. The pain is more than enough I would think. But I am glad that you have your life under control and have found resources and have practice with them to help him do all the tracking and journaling that is necessary. I will be praying that he will accept your help and that you will soon find a pattern of eating that will help heal. It may be a long time before he can take control and that is hard for a young man to accept. I am thankful for good doctors, but I have had enough experience to know that nothing takes the place of a mom's vigilance.

I noticed that you have read Primal Blueprint. I am curious about your reaction. I appreciate his 80% philosophy and the fact that he doesn't seem to be insistent on a "caveman reinactment" but it seems almost impossible to stay on this regimen unless you have your own farm/ranch. I can find free range eggs easily, but non grain fed beef is another story. There is a source locally, but it is very expensive. Are you going to try these foods with your son?
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Connorcream, thank you for sharing this information. Image
Image You have a great deal of insight about your situation,
and I wish you well.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:01 am

TexArk wrote: I noticed that you have read Primal Blueprint. I am curious about your reaction. I appreciate his 80% philosophy and the fact that he doesn't seem to be insistent on a "caveman reinactment" but it seems almost impossible to stay on this regimen unless you have your own farm/ranch. I can find free range eggs easily, but non grain fed beef is another story. There is a source locally, but it is very expensive. Are you going to try these foods with your son?
I have a theorectical answer and a what I do answer. Theorectically, I think very little science supports the clean, pure, organic bent of some. Mark Sisson lives in Malibu, we lived in San Diego but spent most of our time in La Jolla for 6 yrs. These people do have a different view of what the rest of the country as access to. In the list of importance, food types (carb, fat, protein) is more important than these other things. I got fat eating clean.

That being said, I do like these types of foods and do have local food markets with very reasonable prices to chose from. Sun Harvest, Central Market, Asian Market, Wal Mart for some things, then when needed Whole Foods. I have had a beef lady and an egg man but at present do not have these suppliers. We have a farmer's market, not as big as other city's, but it is very enjoyable and local. I get no salt added foods because I think the taste better. I like sea salt from the Mediterranean, instead of cholrinated types for example. My spices are exquisite, organic, fresh. This goes a long way towards making my veggies & meats taste fantastic. Whenever possible I will choose local over organic and sometimes organic over not.

I have a cash budget of $800/month for 7 mouths, plus 2 extra sprinkled in a couple of times per week. I must save from this amount to cover parties, celebrations, etc... which I do. This also covers cleaning supplies and most office materials, but not printer cartridges. It is possible to eat well, though I do see why carbs are at the basis of most third world populations and displaced persons. It is the cheapest way to feed people per calorie.

Sometimes, we get what we pay for.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 am

A post from another forum member who I value greatly. Her experiences have mirrored mine in some ways.

The problem with saying that "a balanced diet is best" is that even the experts in the field disagree on what constitutes balance, and whether there even is a diet that is universally best. It's quite likely that my perfect balance will be different than your perfect balance.

For example, there are some persuasive arguments against grains, especially gluten grains. But grains are a food group, you can't eliminate a food group?

Grains have been a significant part of the human diet for a comparatively very short time. We did fine on a low-grain or grain-free diet 98% of our existence, why do we need grains now? And insects have been a significant part of the human diet (even present day humans in many societies) from the beginning, why is no one worried that many of us have eliminated that food group from our diet?

I used to believe in a universal "healthy, balanced diet" (even the FDA has rethought that). I thought that a diet consisting of less than 70% of calories from carbs was unbalanced (although a recent study found that a carb intake of 90% calories from carbs isn't unusual in the USA). I used to think that grains were a necessary food group.

When I got sick with autoimmune and immune disfunction disorders, I began researching autoimmune disease and diet, and learned that there are many apparent links between high carb (especially sugar and grain) consumption and autoimmune disease. Not enough to say that carbs/grain causes autoimmune disease, but enough for me to consider experimenting with different carb levels, and to continue researching the links between high carb/grain consumption and my health issues. I found many. I have fibromyalgia and there's both anectdotal and research evidence that reducing carb consumption decreases symptoms for many. I found it true for myself, keeping a meticulous food journal for months to "prove" it to myself. The food journal also helped me discover that I have negative reactions to wheat (increases my joint pain and dramatically increases skin issues. I'd never gone wheat-free long enough to realize that I could have a beautiful complexion just by eliminating wheat. The skin issues I had, such as combination oily/dry skin, acne breakouts, rosacea, and severe seborrheic dermatitis (at times severe enough to be extremely painful, itchy and disfiguring - crusty and oozy), disappear when I'm eating lower carb and no-wheat.

If I eat more than about a third of my calories from carbs, I start getting adverse symptoms. Some people may find 40% optimal. Some people 60%

I think there's more variability of healthy diets than is commonly thought, and I think there are many factors that determine a person's optimal diet. I definitely was surprised at finding that the diet I feel best on, is so much lower in carb than I ever thought healthy (and I've been studying diet, nutrition and weight loss all of my life).

So "eating a balanced diet" is more complicated than it seems.

SW 394
CW 306
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Graham wrote: The carb trap - once you start on them, you feel ok as long as you don't stop - then you crash. Avoiding the crash keeps you going back for more even when you're longing to stop. That is addiction isn't it?
Sugar is my crack. I plan on having a piece of chocolate lava cake at the luncheon today. I have the weight, cal, carb budgeted for it. However, if I find that the rest of the day is a pull towards more of the sugary stuff, I will have to ask, "Is it worth it?"

DD, 24yrs, said something so true. DH&I had gone to a pretentious Italian restaurant after on Open House. Again, seafood cannelonni budgeted for, low weight, etc..., Aside from the annoying service, mislabled menu ( i had called ahead as is my custom), and other problems, after the meal and into the next day I felt out of sorts. I had 2 pieces of rustic italian bread w/evoo and 2 cannelonni. Independently, DD (no weight problems) had come to the same point saying, these italian places are over priced, service is poor (most of the time), and she would rather go to a steak house. I had decided the same thing. Rather get a nice piece of beef with veggies & salad, than pay a heavy price for cheap carbs. Pasta is cheap in terms of ingredients cost as well as health costs.

I appreciate these lessons. It will be a long time before I get another pasta dish. It is not on my forbidden food list. I just expect foods to not only taste good but really be good for me long after I have finished chewing. My standards for eating are high, I expect more for myself.

Enjoying the magic bullet by the way.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Gary Taubes Interview on Atkins Site

Post by connorcream » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:57 pm

http://www.atkins.com/Science/Understan ... rview.aspx

(C.H. is the interviewer)

G.T.: The argument I’m making is that low-carb eating is not just a viable alternative to low-fat, low-calorie diets, it’s that the only way to get fat out of your fat tissues and burn it for the long term is to lower your insulin levels. (And the only way to accumulate fat is to raise insulin levels.) For a diet to work, it’s got to lower insulin levels. And if you look at virtually every mainstream diet, you’ll find that one thing they all do is cut carbohydrate calories and improve the quality of the carbs consumed: they recommend low glycemic impact carbs and they get rid of the sweets, the fructose. If you actually look at the mathematics, most weight-loss diets will restrict carbohydrates more than they restrict fats, even if they describe themselves as low-fat diets, because it’s virtually impossible to lower calories significantly on any realistic diet just by reducing the fat content. Add to that the change in the quality of carbs consumed, which every diet program now includes. That’s why researchers can get people to lose almost as much weight on other diets as they do on Atkins. One you get rid of white rice, potatoes and sugars (in soda and fruit juice), you’ll almost certainly lose weight.

C.H.: Are you saying that any diet will help you slim down if it cuts down on all carbs and includes only low glycemic carbs?

G.T.: The question is what is the dose of intervention you need to solve the problem? The effective intervention is restricting carbs and lowering insulin levels. For some people, only a mild dose of intervention is required and a low-fat, low-calorie diet will work as long as you get rid of the sugars (sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup) and the other high glycemic impact carbs. If you can tolerate the hunger on a low-fat, low-calorie program, you don’t need the Atkins Diet, which is not to say that it wouldn’t work better. However, the heavier you are or the more predisposed to be obese, the greater the dose you need. The functional intervention is always the same: lowering the quantity and/or improving the quality of carbs. Only the level of intervention changes.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Gary Taubes and Dr. George Bray

Post by connorcream » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:19 pm

This is a nice summary of GCBC in 6 pages

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... IPs6xfhieg
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 am

I think what made my weight loss easy (never starving, bingeing, uncontrollable cravings,food lustings) is that by cutting out what was the big calorie counts rice, bread, potatoes, beer/alcohol, I also cut out the carbs which produce the cravings. I substitued veggies, veggies, veggies and some fruit, and some lean protein in delicious, I want to eat them meals. I really did not know if I was going to plateau, if my body was permanently damaged in the weight loss area. I just knew, I would want to look at myself in the mirror, and honesty say, "I did my best." If someone paid me to devise a weight loss program, I would have given them the best program possible.

At around 1,000 cal, this was my best. I kept waiting to be hungry but it never happened. That was a huge surprise at the time. I then, wanted to exercise regularly. I became more focused on exercise and its varied forms the more I lost weight. This again parallels Taubes. I never, exercised so much that hunger would result. I never counted the so called calories burned to add back in. I did not get into the need to eat x number of protein grams for muscle mass. As it turns out, I did not need too. I now have steadily increased my calories/carb counts during maintanence. This is presently an ongoing process. I have seen that I can eat higher calories on lower carbs but I do not have enough data to make definitive conclusions.

I did not have it all figured out Oct 6, 2009. I did not know the rudimentary facts of bio-chemistry, ancestor diets, IE, starvation mode (not that it exists as most of the diet world thinks of it), resistance bands, etc...

My previous successful dieting attempts had made the need for me to study this topic in depth irrelevant. It was my dismal failure with Nos over 18 months, thinking I would never be thin, being ecstatic at the thought of ONLY a 30# loss, and thinking at my age that too was impossible, thinking my body had a new set point for middle age, blaming the media's obsession on thinness, do not weigh on the scale, let ones clothes be the guide, yada, yada, yada.

The fault was mine. The mess was mine. And by darn, I was going to fix it. I decided this in the Hampton Inns Lobby, Nasau Bay, TX at the buffet breakfast, on a field trip with the kids in October before the high holy days of eating were about to begin.

I knew two things- one I did not want a self induced plateau, and two I needed a calorie deficit. Where this ties to Taubes is that I had come across women discussing how much easier it was getting rid of some calories as opposed to others. It took a while figuring out what those calories were as most people are reluctant to post menus because the food police show up cluck clucking about their choices. I did not have enough knowledge to refute the police and at times, I got nervous about my path. This is where excellent friends on a few forums really helped me out.

To be clear for you, I eliminated grains, starches, alcohol and sweets. How could I really whine about my plight when I knew so many other people (and soon to be my son) had even worse constraints of food.

I brought my calorie count to 1,000 calories and never felt hungry. This strange result puzzled me until WWGF was published and I saw Taubes interivew. My body, was easily supplying the needed calories in the form of fat usage. I "stalled" in the beginning, but what I think occured was my body shifting into an efficient fat burning organism.

I did not post this figure because of the starvation myth people as well as the "if you lose it fast you will regain it fast crowd". I do not really care now. I am too well armed with knowledge about me and biochemistry in general to be bothered ever again. I thank God that I did not piddle around, especially with the health crisis of DS looming. Crohn's focuses the mind. I also would have missed so much fun and pleasure with the traveling of the past year or so. The longer it takes to lose, the more I doubt one will. There are exceptions of course, but the travails of life coupled with our bodies slowing metablosim with age guides this conclusion.

I have drank coffee, tea, diet coke throughout this entire process. I remember being alarmed by this same chatter. Same with Splenda, If I had a $10 for every thread on artificial sweetners, I would be quite rich. These things did not keep me fat. They had absolutely no bearing on MY body processing anything. I like Splenda, even though I have 4 artificial sweetners (I count Sweet Leaf Stevia as an artificial sweetner), 2 natural ones (white sugar, and local raw honey) in my house at all times for the various guests that visit. If you like them use them. If you don't, don't. wl & maintenance is difficult enough without adding to it unnecessarily. Did using coffee with Splenda make me fat? Get real.

Again, take what fits, discard the rest, worry about weighing yourself once per day, in the AM first thing after potty. No more, no less. Get used to your body's fluctuations. Don't be so dependednt on the scale to determine your mood for the day. Weighing scientifically will help to overcome this obsession. Buy a reliable, quick scale. Tanita. You do not need one that measures your body fat or transmits it to the computer. You do not need body calipers. Buy a food scale, and start measuring your food. Preferably in grams. Tare it out as you add more items. Use an online food journal, record all of your data- cal/carbs, symptoms of various stripes. Figure out the foods that you like, convert them as you go along to make them user friendly for you. Read recipes and posts. You do not need 1,001 recipes if 4 or 5 dishes satisfies you. It is surprising how many people really only like a few meals, rotated through. If that is you, be grateful and use it. If not, then you will need to modify numerous recipes, which gets easier over time.

Find some exercise you like realizing wl is 90% food (some might say 80% others 99%). I did not start exercising regularly until I had lost about 25#. This will vary according to how much you need to lose. It is not number 1 on the list, it just becomes desired as the body has more enegy to draw on.

I must also add, people are shocked when after they ask how much I have lost I then tell them. It is not information I volunteer. I did not look obese. My height provided many a spot for fat to accumulate. My family was not ashamed of my appearance and I certainly seemed busy and organized with the various activies I had going on.

You can do this. Your body wants to be at a trim healthy weight more than you do. It was designed for it. Do not settle for something less than your very best. Why should you? I had no idea how much better I would feel, how much more I can do for others by being trim. There is absolutely no comparison to the life I have now (125.6# on 2/8/11), and the one I had when I weighed 192#. NONE!
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:14 pm

I think the wheat causes a little bloating--rings tight, etc.

I notice that very thing last night. I also noticed a bit of flushing a few hours later as well. We celebrated St. Valentine's day last night, which included a roll and chocolate cake & wine. Chocolate cake & wine did not effect ME as much as the roll even though it was dipped in butter.

The ring on my right hand was hard to get off this morning. Going to be low cal/carb, and enjoy my Godiva chocolates tonight.

A symptom I will be monitoring.

A very happy report, DS is up 4 pounds by following a somewhat most of the time reduced carb diet. This carb thing works both ways, as it should if it is a fat metabolism disorder.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

What is low carb?

Post by connorcream » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 am

From another forum

Most people don't understand low-carb. Very few low-cab diets are as high in protein or as low in carbs as you're implying. Even Atkins isn't so low, except during Induction (I do have low energy and other weird symptoms on induction-level, which is why I don't reduce carbs to induction-level).

There is no set definition for low-carb, and that's probably part of the problem. By one definition, any plan that contains less than 50% calories from fat or less than 200g of carb per day is low-carb, another definition is less than 40% or less than 100g, and even low-carber's themselves often squabble over the definition.

In both Atkins and Southbeach, and in most low-carb diets you begin adding carbs almost immediately. Atkins has you adding 5g each day of carbohydrates per week until you reach the point your stop losing (this could be 80g, or it could be 400g. Then you back off 5 to 10g so that you lose at a slow, but steady rate. People tend to forget or ignore this part of Atkins and assume it's the eat until you're gorged, prime-rib and bacon diet.

I was just as ignorant of low-carb diets when my doctor suggested I try low-carb for my IR. I thought he was nuts, because of what I thought I knew about low-carb.

I eat less meat and more vegetables on low-carb than I did on standard diets. Mostly because I was so hungry on high-carb diets that I ate more of everything. I was constantly hungry, and eating more only made me hungrier.

Most low-carbers who stick with it, eat plenty of carbs, they're just very choosy about where their carbs come from, making sure they come from sources that digest slowly and affect blood sugar slowly and gradually.

I'm surprised at how low-carb I do have to eat in order to lose weight. I use an exchange plan and have reduced starch exchanges (80 calories each) to 1 or 2, and fruit exchanges (70 calories) to 3-4 per day, and I don't limit nonstarchy veggies at all (usually I eat about 5 to 6 servings). This is higher than Atkins induction, but it's lower than many people on Atkins are eating a few months into OWL (the stage where you gradually add back carby foods. I'm not on Atkins, but it's the LC diet most people are familiar with, so I used it as a reference point).

I use an exchange plan because it helped (and helps) me compare the difference between different food plans. Comparing 1800 calories of high-carb and 1800 calories of low-carb, I learned that to lose weight on high carb, I have to cut my calories by about 500 more than if I choose low-carb.

Essentially to lose the same amount of weight I can eat 1300 calories of high-carb (and feel starved and have more flares of my skin and pain issues) or I can eat 1800 calories of much lower carb.

SW 394
CW 306
Female mid 40's
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Re: What is low carb?

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Great Quote, connorcream!

I see you've registered at www.diethobby.com
I'm so excited to see you there,
and am looking forward to furthered friendship.

r.jean

carbs versus low carb

Post by r.jean » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I have really only tried two mainstream diets in the past: Weight Watchers and Atkins. I did not maintain my weight loss on either plan, but I was more satsified with Atkins.

Currently I do not count calories or exchanges or carbs, I just stick to vanilla no S and also track my exercise. However, my meals tend toward lower carb/higher protein choices. I have to have the protein or I just get hungry and eat more. I agree that people have an unjustified negative reaction when they hear low carb. I eat plenty of carbs but watch which carbs I choose.

connorcream

WWGF Taubes Interview

Post by connorcream » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 pm

connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

Post by connorcream » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 am

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-b ... more-19683

Thinking about it. I normally go 16 hrs from Friday night to Saturday & from Saturday night to Sunday. This generally squeezes a middle meal out on Saturday & Sunday. Glad to see this is good. Nothing I planned per se, it just occured over time. Mulling it over to see if it is connected to low carbing. I do not feel famished. I look forward to all of my meals but it is not desperation eating.

Tonight, we finished dinner at 5:45 PM (twins have lax practice). Breakfast will be at 7:00 AM tomorrow. This is 9 hours. 1333 cal, 101 carb (net) for the day.

I do not graze, snack, or binge. When the kitchen is clean, I am done eating. This HABIT is something I am very grateful for.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

thinking of your son

Post by TexArk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I am praying that your son can get relief from a low to zero carb regime and more importantly that he will take ownership of his health and give this a long enough trial to see results if they are possible.

My lifetime best friend and college roommate had Type I diabetes. We went through it together during junior high and high school and all was well. However, in college, she just rebelled and suffered several severe diabetic comas before finally taking charge of her own well being. I think the early 20s is a difficult time for those with chronic diseases to accept their reality and the appropriate responses that are needed.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

I think the early 20s is a difficult time for those with chronic diseases to accept their reality and the appropriate responses that are needed.

It really is a difficult age and I try and remember that. However, he lives in our house, I see his meals, and then he says, "I have tried THE diet (i.e. low carb) I wonder what planet is he living on.

I do appreciate and treasure the prayers.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:37 pm

123.2# 5'8" 4/9/2011

Today, I have submitted my information to join the National Weight Loss Registry, which marks my anniversary of a 30 pound loss which was 162#. This was my first goal attained. It qualified my to attend WW meetings for free as this was my goal weight as a lifetime member. 162# seemed like a wish when I started CC and managing MY weight loss. My second super secret goal was 145#. Never did I envision happily and energetically being at 125# which is where I currently reside. The knowledge I have for me and loved ones is priceless. Life is a blast.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Congratulations!

You have been good to share what you have gleaned on this journey and now this is another way to give back what you have learned. And you have real data not just "feelings." I think the Registry is going to be an important part of the research bank of information for a long time to come. And, you for one, will actually enjoy filling out all the lengthy questionnaires!
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Image Congratulations on achieving another one of your goals.