Cantab's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Cantab

Cantab's daily check in

Post by Cantab » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 pm

After a good transitional month into No-S, even with the holidays and a cold, I hit a rough spot this week that I learned from.

But first, good news: Habit Cal has done fantastic things for my exercise pattern. I've exercised 10 of the last 15 days, and some days really extensively. Hurrah!

And another piece of good news: a lot of the time that I've wanted to eat between meals, I've learned to drink tea instead. I'm really plowing through my tea collection. Some of the boxes of teas I've had for more than 5 years.

But then the less good news. Or rather a lesson.

I use this work habits book that reminds me that rushing and impatience leads to problems later on, and I learned exactly that lesson this week for No S.

Last Sunday I was giving my neighbor a ride to the grocery when she mentioned that she was going to start Atkins the next day. I've never tried Atkins, and I figured I may as well give it a week just to see what it's like. Maybe I'd lose a pound or something. "Couldn't hurt," I figured.

So when we were shopping, we looked at all the carb counts, and I bought all this high fat food, but after less than a day, I found myself obsessing about food, counting carbs, and feeling generally neurotic about it, so I decided not to continue so that I didn't become neurotic. Especially since I realized that low carb isn't totally magic, and calories still matter. (Cheese is limited to 3-4 ounces, for instance, not because of carbs but because it's calorie dense. I hadn't realized that.) But I had all this high fat food in the house. I looked at the cream cheese's expiration date, and figured I had plenty of time to use it to bake a cheesecake for some holiday. And likewise the heavy cream. Except then I proceeded to eat them totally immoderately over the course of the next week.

Next week, I'm not going to rush or be impatient. I'm just going to be reasonable and normal and moderate.