Betty's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bettyB

Betty's check in

Post by bettyB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:48 am

Hello! I'm Betty, aged 25 from the UK. Trying to lose a stone and a half in 2011!

Well today is Thursday and I spent all of Tuesday reading about the No S diet (and getting very enthusiastic about it - an epiphany! it's so simple!!)

Then I spent all of Wednesday trying to stick to it 100% so that today I can start my check in log with a big green SUCCESS!

:D

Had 3 square meals yesterday, no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.

Feels good!!

sipalittletea

Welcome!

Post by sipalittletea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Congratulations on your first great start! Welcome! I'm pretty new to this too, so I have no advice, but I'm happy you're trying to be healthier and joining us!

bettyB

Re: Welcome!

Post by bettyB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 pm

thanks! :) Looking forward to sharing our successes

bettyB

Day 2

Post by bettyB » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:05 am

Day 2 was a SUCCESS!

Had a cuppa at about 4pm but never have sugar, just a splash of milk, so I think it's a drink not a snack.

Had a low fat/low cal turkey curry for dinner (home made, but bought the sauce in a jar) added lots of veg and then had 2 home made mini samosas on a seperate plate but that was only because I dont like the curry sauce on them!! they would have fitted on the plate easily though, just my fussy tastes didnt allow it!! :)

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

ok so it might be an idea to keep a food diary for a bit.

Here's my diary for the 1st 3 days of No S.

Day 1
Breakfast: Scrambled egg on 2 wholewheat toast
Lunch: Cous cous, veg, banana, yoghurt
Dinner: home made lean burger and home made oven chips

Day 2
Breakfast: Scrambled egg on 2 wholewheat toast
Lunch: 2 small tuna mayo rolls, low fat crisps, satsuma
Dinner: lean turkey curry, boiled rice, 2 mini home made samosas

Day 3 (today)
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with ham, veg, low fat cheddar
Lunch: 2 haddock fish cakes with salad, yoghurt
Dinner: not sure yet!!

Looking forward to 2 S days!

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am

Day 3 was a FAILURE in the end - bit annoyed to slip up this early in the game, but the fish cakes were not very nice so i was still hungry and that Friday afternoon feeling got to me and I ended up eating toast and crisps... :x

Day 4 + 5 were S days and predictably overindulgent - had fast food and chocolate. Also a few glasses of wine but I'm not going to beat myself up over that - my 'glass ceiling' is 1 drink a day and 2 on S days, but I only really drink 2 week nights out of 5 anyway, then we open a bottle on saturday and finish it on sunday.

Day 6 today (monday) - so far I've had 2 eggs scrambled with 2 brown toast and light spread. and 2 cups of tea with semi skim milk.

thinking of going for a run today, need to exercise more! The sun is out so that should be my motivation!!

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Failure today - had a bad work day and the malteasers leftover from sunday got me! :(

did 20 mins on my stepper though, nice to do some exercise. shame i didnt have time for a run.

better day tomorrow, me thinks.

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

As long as you look at any failures as lessons learned and get right back on track, you can view them as something positive. Great job on fitting in some exercise.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Well done for exercising!

I try and eat everything 'bad' by the end of the weekend so I'm not tempted!! Not necessarily a good thing, but I've tried to avoid buying LARGE packs of bad food for that purpose :)

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for your replies :)
Unfortunately my one failure then turned into a whole week of failures! :(

April tomorrow, new month, new start.