Third time's a charm.

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

stonetoomany

Third time's a charm.

Post by stonetoomany » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 am

Well. I finally accepted my body for what it is. My weight obsession has ended.
But I am not happy with my eating habits.

I snack so much that I'm not hungry at meal times.
I at junk and takeaway when my kitchen is a mess.
I hav IBS and Pcos and ating so many sweets and potatoe crisps and takeaway is making me fat bloated and tired. Every time I manage to cut out snacks and eat more fruit and veg I feel great.

So I am shunning the scales as of today. My goal is not weight, it's sensible eating. I'll weigh myself this time next year (if I am able to stick to no s.)
Weight this morning was 153lb (I would love to be 133)
Waist is 31"
hips 40" (would love to be 37")

I'm menu planning properly now and keeping my kitchen clean. PLanning my lunches as well as dinner so I make sure I buy everything I need and avoid the junk food locally.

Going to make sure my lunches and dinners have better amounts of veg involved. And breakfast involves fruit.

I'm going to limit the unhealthy snacks I put on the shopping list and make sure my children's lunch box snacks are not greasy crisps and chocolate. That way if I do snack on their cheese or yoghurt coated fruit it's not as bad as four bags of chips.

(my son is on a high fat diet....awkward.)

Yesterday I ate...
a bowl of cornflakes with semi skimmed milk
a toasted sandwhich filled with fried mushrooms and bechamel sauce (yes I know but nom nom nom.)
A can of diet pepsi.
a cup of tea.
frozen fish in batter with frozen (deep fried) chips and baked beans
A large glass of schloer.
a bowl of twiglets.
also 1 fruit gum sweet and one pom bear crisp.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 am

Congrats on taking that big step to change your habits. Sounds like you have made a great start!

Keep your eye on the goal of how wonderful you will feel every day after taking care of yourself with healthy foods and habits. I strongly feel that no longer struggling with bad habits and food choices is a greater reward than any certain number on the scale.

Good luck to you! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

stonetoomany

Post by stonetoomany » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I managed the full four N days since starting.
Hubby made me eat a tiny snack sized poppadom last night-does that count as fail?

Anyway today my s's.
I've had two small sweets/candy. A chewy lolly and a small boiled sweet.
I plan to snack on bombay mix while watching a film tonight. I bought some small plastic bags so I can divide the big bag into 40g portions.
Tomorrow I plan to make small pear crumbles.

In my N days I had one alcoholic drink and one soft drink.

I find that my tummy is really rumbly an hour before I intend my next meal. On days one or two this was accompanied by gnawing pain. But now I know it's not starvation, I eat well at meals and know it's enough. I'm not so uncomfortable now.

Benefits? I'm sleeping better....that's odd.
I'm not bloated, I feel slimmer even if I'm not.

I need to work harder at staying off the scales.

I'm not worried really about the s days and I am sure I'll screw up many times but for now I'm just trying really hard with those N days. It's easier when I'm working-I can't snack then. Or if I could it would only hav a limited time.

So far so good. I'm going for a full five days this week.....

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 am

I'm also back here after attempting this program at least 3 times....I think it might have actually been around five for me!

I don't know exactly what has made the difference, this this time is definitely a "charm" for me. I'm so much more ready to get this body healthy.

I wish you much success this time around!

janie[/u]
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh