DB's Descent

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

db cooper

DB's Descent

Post by db cooper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm starting off with No-S today.

I weighed in late last night at 315 pounds (to be fair, that was after indulging quite a bit, so that's probably artificially a few pounds higher).

I don't really have a set goal in mind, I just intend to keep going until I think I look good and feel good. I'd like to have a BMI that isn't "overweight." So that would be about 184 pounds, although I actually have a feeling that might be a little low for me. I have broad shoulders and a big frame. We'll see.

I should probably state this right off the bat:
I'm will be challenging myself to be more strict than No-S requires.

That is, when my motivation is high, I'm going to try and commit to more demanding diet and exercise. And when it's low, or when I'm not in a situation that permits me to be more demanding, then I'm going to use No-S as my structure. I think this is psychologically the best bet for me. And I think ultimately that's what you need to look for. People talk a lot about finding the best diet for their body, but I think it's really about finding the best diet for your mind.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Welcome! Good luck with No S'ing. :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

db cooper

Post by db cooper » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks, gk.

Well, the good thing about having so much to lose, and doing my first weigh-in after a nice big meal is that the results after 1 day can seem so impressive.

I'm one day in -- an N-day, as a matter of fact -- and I'm down 8.4 pounds. At this rate, in a little over a month, I should be a zygote.

My next weigh-in will be Saturday morning.