Progress, not perfection

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

good enough

Progress, not perfection

Post by good enough » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I discovered No S some time ago, and it immediately made sense. But due to a history of extremely chaotic eating / obsessive dieting, I’ve somehow never had enough faith to really give it a proper go. Until now! After a couple of half-hearted attempts, I think I am finally ready to commit - at least for 21 days...

I’m determined that I never want to ‘diet’ in the traditional sense again, and I know that No S can bring me some peace, if I let it. I would really love to lose some weight, but I would even settle for gaining some sanity.

Day 1
Start weight = 139.6
Posting this for yesterday, a somewhat random mid-week start but no time like the present...

SUCCESS! :D

3 meals. No snacks, sweets or seconds. Job done.

Day 2

SUCCESS! :D

B: Fruit & plain yoghurt
L: Hummus, fava bean paste, falafel salad & pitta (big plate!)
D: Pre-dinner Martini, Thai fishcake sandwich, steamed broccoli, an orange

I went to a new lunch place near where I work today, called Hummus Brothers. Really filling and delicious! Although I don’t want to be buying lunch out every day, I’m very happy about this find.

Tomorrow is going to be a Special Day. My better half and I have taken the day off work and we’re celebrating Valentine’s day (a few days late!). I'm hoping a 'Special Day' so soon into this isn't going to throw me off track...

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Love the title of your thread! :)

good enough

Post by good enough » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Thank you, KCCC! It's something I am trying to remind myself of.

Day 3

SPECIAL DAY! :D

Our belated Valentine's was a perfect day: art, books, walking, friends, real ale and of course delicious food! A bit too much delicious food in the evening if I'm honest, but we had a truly brilliant day.

Day 4

SATURDAY :D

So far today I've had:

B: Scottish porridge, orange juice
L: Basil tofu & veggies

The lunch plate was a big delicious pile of green!

No S's yet today... We have pasta with my special garlic bread coming up for dinner, then who knows? That's the beauty of S days, just taking it as it comes...

good enough

Post by good enough » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Day 5

SUNDAY :)

Too many treats after dinner last night! But I would class it as overeating (not a binge) so maybe that's something?

Today was a lovely day. Country walk with friends, cold but sunny. Followed up with a huge pub lunch: proper roast with all the trimmings, apple crumble & custard for pud. Yum! We walked for a while after lunch too but I'm still quite full, think dinner will be light! Actually looking forward to an N day tomorrow, 3 S days in a row has felt like a lot of food!