Mimistiggers Daily Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jollygood

Mimistiggers Daily Checkin

Post by jollygood » Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Here I am, I discovered there was already a Mimi, so I am mimistiggers!
My hubby and I are devoted low-carbers who have totally fell off the wagon. I miss my fruit so much it is painful! I am a librarian so I talk about books alot. I am currently reading The Book of Awakening, by Mark Nepo. It's just a short sweet little daily meditation book that I picked up for $1 at Barnes and Noble. About 3 weeks ago, he said something for that day's meditation that stuck with me. "What does it mean to be simple? In a world that is complicated, we are often misled to believe that being simple is being stupid, when in truth, it holds that reward for living directly, which is that things appear, at last, as they really are." I read it over and over. Something in that quote about simplicity really grabbed me.

We had been following a fairly retrictive low-carb diet, but had gained some weight back. Then we were researching another type of low carb diet, and basically we were all over the place, trying to find a Way Of Eating that we could live with the rest of our lives.

And this little quote about simplicity seemed to be an answer jumping out at me! So, I went on the web and searched "simple diet". And NoS came up. I purchased the ebook, found the podcasts and listened to some of them.

I am ready to make the committment. You see, I was RAISED NoS! So was my husband! This diet is, like, "Duh!"

We will be starting our first day of NoS tomorrow, and I am truly excited. Don't know yet if I am going to do the Habitcal, but it seems like a great idea.

Wish me luck!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 am

Welcome mimistiggers! I think you will love No S and find its simplicity the answer to all food and eating issues.
Keep posting and let us know how you're getting along.

Best wishes from the other
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

jollygood

Day 1

Post by jollygood » Tue May 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi mimi! Thanks for the hello!
I am a VERY experienced dieter, I guess is the nicest way to put it. I have been on every diet under the sun almost all my life. Hubby and I are now 60 and have health concerns, grandkids, travel goals, and we just are at the point where we are trying to stay ahead of the game. LOL
I love the theory of No S because of the moderation aspect. Moderation is always good, and a moderate way of eating and exercising has to be for the best for us.

I like the 21-day habit forming committment. I'm sure he has a name for it but I can't remember for now.
I like the Habitcal, but not sure I will keep up with it. It's a great idea, though. I have it on my iPhone but I constantly have to logon each time. It would be nice if it would just stay logged on. Sometimes I am in a slooowww wifi or 3G spot and I get very impatient!
We like low-carb, and I am going to start out No S with a low-carb version of what we are already eating. But I think I will add some fruit, protein smoothies with fruit. Not sure if we are ready for pasta, bread, and potatoes. If anyone out there is NoS-ing low carb I would love to hear some thoughts.
I don't really want to do "mods" now. Maybe once we get past the 21-day habit formation phase we might.
I just read a book, The Power of Habit. It's a bestseller at the moment and a good read. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is committed to the No S diet.

Day 1 breakfast: 1 slice bacon, 1 egg, coffee
Lunch: Salad with meat and cheese, Italian dressing

jollygood

Post by jollygood » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 am

Well, Fast-forward 2 weeks. I just couldn't get it going until school was out. I am really committed to NoS, I believe it is the perfect diet. Only, it's not really a "diet" for me, just the way I was raised!
Today is day 1
Breakfast: oatmeal, yogurt, fresh strawberries
Lunch: green salad with lots of veggies, meat and cheese. Ranch dressing.
Supper: roast beef, freshe green beans cooked with bacon & onion, small salad with fresh onion, beets, pickles.
I did 15 minutes of Denise Austin DVD, and walked about 1/2 mile.
I love NoS! My grandmother is watching me!
Ht. 5'4" SW 5/22/12 180 lbs.

jollygood

Some observations about Day 1

Post by jollygood » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:40 am

I have been so ready to start NoS, a few weeks of anticipation. I decided to wait until my first day of summer vacation, because the end of school is extremely stressful, and because, uh, teachers get lots of goodies from parents and students!
So, Day 1. I had built it up to a massive challenge. I have tried to get back on my strict Low-carb for months, and just couldn't face all that meat! In the process I have gained 25 of my hard-fought lbs. since last July.
Frankly, I was terrified of the failure I had convinced myself would happen today.
I am home alone all day while Hubby works. The flurry of grandkids and travel will start in a few weeks, but for now, it's a great time to start a new eating program.
Well, let me tell you, it was the simplest "diet" day ever! I ate some good nutritious meals, filled up with it! Are you guys sure this is really going to work?
Now it's 8:00 pm and Hubby and are a little...not hungry, just sort of noshy. This is our normal snack time so I guess it's habit more than hunger. I fixed us some Yogi Appetite Control hot tea, it's blueberry flavored and really does control appetite.
All in all, a perfect day!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am

Good work on your first day, Mimi! I love Yogi teas but I have never see the appetite control one, I will have to look for it.

I think No S works with any kind of eating style, so I am sure low-carb is no problem.

jollygood

Yogi teas

Post by jollygood » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you for the encouragement, Amy. The tea is Blueberry something, and the "appetite suppressant" is on the description on the box. Either it's for real, or the power of suggestion really works! It got us through last night!
I know counting calories is not required, but I totaled up our calories at the end of the day and I don't think Hubby is getting enough calories. He only ate about 1000, if that. I had 800, which is probably not sustainable for me,either. I think it's going to be hard to stay low carb on three plates a day.
We might have to abandon the low carb part, and add some starchy vegetables. I am worried he will get too hungry and blow it when he's away from me at work!

jollygood

Day 3

Post by jollygood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

2 green N days! Going to make today #3.
Forgive me for posting our menus, I am really insecure these early days of NoS!

Breakfast Day #2:
oatmeal, greek yogurt with fresh strawberries, orange juice
Lunch:
leftover roast beef, 4 oz., broccoli with cheese, low fat cherry yogurt (put it in the freezer and ate it like ice cream)
Supper:
Chick-Fil-A Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad (the best "fast food" ever!)

Breakfast Day #3
Protein smoothie with fruit and oat bran in the VitaMix (Hubby woke up with a headache and he didn't feel like eating) I don't think he is getting enough calories. I am bumping up his calories today. I pack his lunch for him, and found a Hungry Man Turkey and Dressing frozen dinner for him. Not the best, but it will do until we get our routine straight.
Lunch
Blackened Tilapia, tartar sauce, spinach sauteed with butter
Supper
red beans and rice, mustard greens, cantaloupe
mid-day drink 'refresher' (this is NOT a snack, it's a liquid 'refresher'...LOL): skinny mocha latte

I am a Cajun cook and Southern to the bone.
We love eating our traditional dishes, NoS style!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 am

Sounds like you are doing great, Mimi! thanks for your support on my thread, too, it means a lot to me.

Have another great (green) day!