Suzy's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Figuresgirl

Suzy's check in

Post by Figuresgirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:50 pm

So I stumbled across the everyday Systems podcast yesterday and I'm addicted! It makes so much sense and I really feel like I have some clarity in how to reach my goals. I've tried so many times and been disappointed by not following through. However, this simple lifestyle plan is what I need.

With that said, right away, day 1, is a day I have to "explain" as I ended up with a red square on the "bingefree" calendar that I started. Unfortunately I've been dealing with binge eating for some time now, and just started with a counselor and antidepressants a week ago, which I really think are helping. However, Saturday mornings are my trigger times, and as my husband left for work I was secretly stuffing myself with peanut butter chocolate bars that I'd made. Of course I had that gross shaking feeling after when one has consumed too much sugar. On a good note, I did 30 minutes of plyometrics in the am, and ended up with a 7 mile run later on!

Happy to be starting day 2 :)

Figuresgirl

Monday - failure report

Post by Figuresgirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

So today was my offical first full day on the No S Diet, and we had an all day meeting for our student council, where they served my all time favorite cookies. While I tried to rationalize that I can get the cookies another time (I've binged on the whole tray of them though in the past), I ended up having one, and then later on, another one. They left me feeling sick and gross, and remembering that I didn't want them anymore!

After school I was in the habit of snacking (which has grown to be a HUGE snack) and so I ended up using that as my supper. That left me succeeded on the 3 meals only (the cookies were at lunch), but I woke up (presumably because I was so hungry!) super early on TUe am.

Had some yougurt + a nectarine, and then will have coffee and my breakfast smoothie. I can do it!

p.s. Love the index cards - day 1 was awesome with that little reminder in my pocket :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Welcome! Hang in there - it might take a while until you get the habits solid, but with patience it will come.

Figuresgirl

day 4 failure :(

Post by Figuresgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 am

Well, I didn't avoid the sweets today. I just am such a cookie monster and ended up eating a bunch of chocolate chips and then got into the cookie dough as I was making cookies (which really wasn't a good idea to make them, but they're needed for work).

However, the good news is that I didn't get the gross sick sugar feeling and stopped myself. I went to the gym and then for a walk. When I got home I had a bit more dough and 1 cookie, which is disappointing, however I'm learning :) This is not great, but better than I've done in several years!!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am

Gradual improvement is definitely better! You're doing well!

Figuresgirl

Post by Figuresgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Amy3010 wrote:Gradual improvement is definitely better! You're doing well!
Thanks Amy! How's your journey going?

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 am

Ups and downs like all of us here! :D Have a great day!

Figuresgirl

Thur details

Post by Figuresgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm

I did pretty good for the most part, however had a smaller lunch than normal (ended up going for a hamburger at a local BBQ) and then fell into the habit of having a snack after work. Then at supper had 1 cookie (which is awesome for me that I didn't eat 5!) and then pb banana toast. Not really sure what I was thinking...actually, I was thinking I'm doing my first weigh in Fri after 2 weeks and I'm scared it's not going to go as well as I'd hoped. However, had an awesome gym workout. And I'm down 2lbs in 2 weeks - not great, but slow and steady might work better to keep it off permanently. I've struggled with yo-yo dieting and weight in the last 4-5 years.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm

I would consider it a success if you can stop yourself. That is what I have trouble with. I have a habitcal tracker for "onemessuponly" meaning if i mess up once but i'm able to get back on track it can be green for that calendar. that way even if i have to put a red on my main tracking, i can put a green for the "onemessuponly" one because i was able to stop myself. i really want to encourage myself to get back on track when failures happen, that is where i struggle. one mess up turns into a binge because i get "what the hell" effect going on. So that is my goal, to track both success on no s diet and then "onemessuponly"... works great for me so far but then again i haven't had a mess up yet and only been doing this a week. i hope it will work and help me not throw the day away when i mess up.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Figuresgirl

Friday mess up

Post by Figuresgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 pm

MJ7910 wrote:I would consider it a success if you can stop yourself. That is what I have trouble with. I have a habitcal tracker for "onemessuponly" meaning if i mess up once but i'm able to get back on track it can be green for that calendar. that way even if i have to put a red on my main tracking, i can put a green for the "onemessuponly" one because i was able to stop myself. i really want to encourage myself to get back on track when failures happen, that is where i struggle. one mess up turns into a binge because i get "what the hell" effect going on. So that is my goal, to track both success on no s diet and then "onemessuponly"... works great for me so far but then again i haven't had a mess up yet and only been doing this a week. i hope it will work and help me not throw the day away when i mess up.
That really does help! I just got into the cookies again...7 this time! And it's an hour before supper.

Anyways, I'm going to start a "onemessuponly" board too to encourage myself, like you, to get back on the right track.

Off for a run!!