emilygf daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

EmilyGF

emilygf daily check in

Post by EmilyGF » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 am

OK, baby is 9 months old and it is time to get my rear back into my jeans. We've moved recently and I don't have time to exercise like I used to, but I can walk everywhere in the new neighborhood.

Thankfully, No S doesn't take extra time!!! Yay!

So, tomorrow is Day 1.

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:38 am

Day 1 went well! Told myself "You can have it on the weekend" when we walked by the pastry shop near my house and subbed peppermint tea for dessert tonight.

I drank a cup of black tea with a teaspoon of sugar between meals. I'm not sure if that counts as an S... I think more than one would count.

But, nothing else and no seconds. Yay!
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:49 am

Day 2 - and S day.

I got through day 1 by saying, "tomorrow is an S day" (I'm a snacker sugar-addict), but I didn't pig out today.

I felt hungry for breakfast, a strange feeling, and though I grazed a bit, it wasn't as much as normal. I noticed that I was full at dinner and stopped instead of taking second helpings.

I was scared mentally about weekends when I read about this system a few years ago, but the forum "stages" post was useful.

Emily
Emily

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Emily, a teaspoon of sugar in your tea is considered acceptable. The assumption is you're drinking it for a little break and not to get your liquids in, which might have you drinking a lot more. Reinhard's big on water for thirst, but he reminds all that is his opinion.

Pretty cool about being able to stop because you noticed you were full at dinner. I gently suggest that I'd be careful of calling myself a sugar addict, unless you're just joking. It's true that there are some chemical similarities to overuse of sugar and other substances, but all habits actually have at least some neurochemical counterpart in the brain. Even alcohol and heroin addicts show that they are in control by not choosing those substances. Since those items have such risks involved, there's no good reason for trying to be moderate, but sugar isn't like that for the vast majority of people. It can be hard to be moderate, but consistent moderation does change the pattern, too. You sound like a very good candidate for having moderation become the norm.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks, oohlala for your reply!

I get what you mean about saying "sugar-addict" - it could be a way to say I'm not to blame for eating way too much sugar.

Today went well. My meals were really tasty, probably because I was actually hungry.
Emily

dana2012

Post by dana2012 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey, Emily!
My baby is almost 9 months. I just started No S also. So we are walking the same path. I wish you well on the journey. Hopefully in a few months we will both be smaller.

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 am

Hi Dana, thanks for the encouragement! Best wishes to you, and enjoy your baby. :-)

Today went great! My kids are getting into the habit with me, although I'm more lenient with them. How much snacking is OK for little kids?

I went to a mom's group this afternoon and drank coffee with a bit of cream instead of eating chocolates and banana bread, so that's a big difference for me! I ignored the box of Belgian chocolates and the leftover banana cream pie in our fridge and ate three healthy meals.

I needed to taste the soup for salt before the meal and decided, since I'm not good with lines-in-the-sand, to spit it out once I figured out how much salt was needed. But that's just me...

It is after dinner and I feel sated but not stuffed.
Emily

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:08 am

Nice work! I've spit out things I tasted, too, for practice and because I didn't want to dull my appetite for the meal.

Not sure how much little kids need to eat between meals. I don't think I'd have all foods available all the time, but might ask pointedly once or twice between meals, are you hungry? And not offer much. If they can't come up with something besides asking for cookies, they're probably not hungry anyway. If it's an hour or less until the next meal, I'd try to stall 'em.

I do believe that in France, school age children eat three meals and ONE small snack in the afternoon. C'est tout. No one thinks they're deprived because they don't walk around with the French version of a sandwich bag of Cheerios to nibble on at any second.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 am

Thanks for the info about children in France. I think I remember reading that, too, now that you mention it.

OK, today went great. Baked blondies with my kids and didn't nibble on the dough, went to a dessert hang-out and hung-out instead of snacking. Whee. I've made a matrix of lunches, which helps me not to spend the mornings deciding what to eat but makes lunch-making simple.

Sticking a blondie in the freezer for me for the weekend. But one is enough.

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 am

So, today went OK. Traveling with the kids - a situation where I normally snack on lots of sweets.

Good - didn't snack, didn't eat sweets.

Bad - got appetizer at meal and didn't put it on plate before eating (and ate most of it on my own). So it ended up being more like meal-and-a-half.

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:55 am

Monday - success
Tuesday - success

I'm getting into the swing of things. Even have sweets around the house and haven't gotten into them.

Weekend plus - decided granola bar wasn't worth it.

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Wednesday - basically a success

For some reason, really wanted to nibble all morning but avoided it (yay!), even though I was baking. Good lunch and a nap in the afternoon helped me not snack til dinner. I made a sweet potato pie with my daughter in the morning and didn't sample/snack/etc at all, but did have a teeny tiny bite with my family after dinner. I took what my husband served me (after being told to serve me a quarter of what my 4-year-old had) and ate half of it. I had never made SPP before and it'll be gone by the weekend. I'm considering this a success because the amount I ate was soooo teeny (maybe 1.5 tsp).

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 am

Thursday - success! Totally, by-the-book, to-the-letter, success.

:-) Even with my mom, going through Costco ("no thanks! I don't want a sample"), shopping at Trader Joe's at lunch time ("no thanks! I don't want to try!"), eating at Panera, and putting my whole dinner on my plate before taking the first bite.

I'm getting used to no snacks and making much healthier, tastier, lunches, because I'm actually hungry then... and then I'm enjoying my food so much more.

Emily
Emily

animated

Post by animated » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Well done Emily!

It's tough to decline offered food for me too. But that's what makes the successes so savory!
Height 6'0"
Start Date: Aug 27, 2012
Start Weight : 239.6 lbs
Current Weight : 206.5 lbs
Goal Weight : 199.9 lbs

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:37 am

So, first all-out red day, but it still wasn't a total loss. So, non-compliance but not a binge.

I snacked before lunch and after lunch, but I skipped the almond croissant my mom shared with my kids before dinner and the chocolates my husband brought out tonight. I didn't take seconds at any meal. I think I should have eaten a larger breakfast.

Thinking back on the day, if I did break the rules, I should have broken them on the chocolate, not the stale snacks I ate earlier in the day! Also, if I had written a to-do list last night, I would have probably been doing good work on my move-in instead of hanging around the kitchen. :-/

Emily
Emily

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:12 am

Alright, I stopped no-s-ing and it was completely my fault. I made excuses and decided I'd rather eat than feel good and fit into my clothes.

Time to start back again. We have a party to go to tomorrow night, so I'll have a sweet there, but skip seconds or snacks the rest of the day and the rest of the party. (Why should having a sweet at a party require that the other s-es be used?)

I feel so much better when doing no-s.

Lunch plan for tomorrow: spinach, fried eggs, toast, apple and banana slices. Having the hope of a good lunch helps me skip morning snacks!

Emily
Emily