Progress is temporary

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Y Goddodin

Progress is temporary

Post by Y Goddodin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm renewing my acquaintance with the No S diet, and the spirit of some the other systems here because they basically work better than anything else I've experimented with. I've used a quote from Richard as a title which I really agree with and need to remember!

My 3 daily habits are:

1. No S diet, as written. I eat well, but with a 3 year old son and a wife who eats like a gerbil my chief dietary bad habit is polishing off their left-overs.

2. meditation; a constant practice for the past 5 years or so. It's fairly important to me, but while I normally sit for 30 mins I will qualify anything over 10 as a 'success;...

3. exercise; I like daily exercise. Plus if I can do it daily then I know I am avoiding my tendency towards over-doing the volume & intensity - which is a recipe for short term progress and long term fatigue!
happiness is not his who too much fasts or too much feasts; who wears away his strengths in vigils, or sleeps away an idle mind...

Y Goddodin

Post by Y Goddodin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:05 pm

16/06

No S - exempt

Exercise - success, albeit just a walk with the boy

Meditation - success
happiness is not his who too much fasts or too much feasts; who wears away his strengths in vigils, or sleeps away an idle mind...