Dee's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dee2013

Dee's Check In

Post by Dee2013 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Tomorrow will be my first official day on No S. After much thought I have decided not to focus on my weight right now. My goal is to commit to this plan and change my relationship with food. I need mental freedom more than I need weight loss. So, for now that is my focus.

I am actually a little excited about the prospect of being "diet free".

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 am

Day One: FAILURE :(

I struggled horribly.

I did walk 3 miles. So that is a SUCCESS.

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:46 am

Day Two

NO S: SUCCESS :D

Exercise: SUCCESS -Total Body Workout

I am feeling very hopeful!

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 am

Even though I am trying not to focus on weight loss right now I still think I need to invest some energy into trying to feel good about my body the way it is right now.

I have purchased very little clothing over the years because I kept promising myself that I would buy more when I lost weight. That never happened :roll: So, I have decided that when I get a little extra cash I will go shopping and buy some much needed items for my wardrobe.

I did some research about how to dress your body type. According to a couple of websites, I am a hour glass. I am going to put together a list for clothing tips which flatter my particular (over weight) body type. I will not worry about the size of the clothing. I will just look for things that make me look my best.
Last edited by Dee2013 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 am

I think your focus on health is excellent. I think that buying some clothes in which you are comfortable and fit your body may actually help you towards this goal. It will be easier to focus on health when you are not concious of clothing which is uncomfortable and ill fitting.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks MerryKat for stopping by. I agree with you about the clothing!

Day Three

NO S FAILURE

Exercise SUCCESS 3 mile walk

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am

DAY FOUR

NO S FAILURE

Exercise FAILURE

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 am

Well, today was another failure. I am really struggling with cravings. Not sure how to get them under control. In the past this is why I have always turned to a low carb diet. It is the only way I can get my cravings to disappear. I am at a loss right now. I have a lot of thinking to do.

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 am

After I failed all but one day of the first week and had binge sessions on my two S days, I seriously considered going back to some former diet. Not because of weight loss but because my cravings are out of control. I went searching again for another diet....but I stopped and asked myself if I really wanted to count and track and eat by a list. No, I don't!

Then I asked, "But what will I do about the cravings and binge eating?"

I can take what I learned from previous diets and add to No S, but without the restrictions and diet mentality. I know from past experiences with low-carb diets that more protein makes my body feel more balanced and stable. So, for the second week I am going to up my protein intake. I am not going to count and measure but just eat more than I normally eat and eat it all before delving into my carbs at meal times. I am hoping this will knock out the super strong urges to eat between meals.

Please know that I am not going on a low carb diet. I am simply adding a strategy that has helped in the past with cravings and abnormal eating.

Dee2013

Post by Dee2013 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Success :D