Tamburello32 - checking in once or twice per week ;-)

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tamburello32

Tamburello32 - checking in once or twice per week ;-)

Post by tamburello32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi there,

Gained some weight during the past couple of years and I need to lose 25 pounds within about 4 months, That would be ideal.

I already have a good start ... (I lost 5 lbs within less than 2 weeks now after checking out this site and applying the basic principles.) :-)

This system is good for me because my problem has always been the snacks ... so cutting down on those I can lose the extra pounds.

My stats : White male, 38 years old ... from Canada.

Pounds lost :

Day 1, Sept. 01, 2013 : 0
Day 7, Sept 07, 2013 : 3.6
Day 13, Sept. 13, 2013 : 5.0

I train quite hard, at least 5-6 times per week at the moment ... mostly jogging and also doing push ups and a few other exercices indoors in the evenings ... total is about 40 to 45 min. of exercise daily, pretty high intensity though.

My problem is really more with the food because I am training regularly and have been doing that for years now ... and as soon as I stop cheating on my diet the pounds are coming off ... slowly but surely.

Wishing you well,

Tamburello32 ;-)

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Welcome, tamburello! Yes, No S is pretty perfect for what you need, it seems, since you have the physical activity part of things solid already.

I'm a fellow Canadian, too. Nice to see you here. :)

tamburello32

Post by tamburello32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi okbyxmas !

Thanks for your support, always appreciated !

Right now things are going well even if it is hard of course but everyone knows when you are trying tolose weight you have to go through some adversity and temptations as well ...

One thing I have been using lately ... when I am very hungry for no reason (usually this happens in the late evenings), I drink some water, a couple of tall glasses for example ... simple but it saved me a few times. The water fills me up and then I am not hungry again.

Also trying not to buy any of the things I find really tempting of course : cookies, crackers, pita bread ...
I try to think of food as fuel for my exercises so I need to eat nutritious food and not things with empty calories.

Also try to do some push ups or other exercises to build your muscles. The muscles help burn the calories, you don't feel as hungry, win-win situation ...

I have noticed since I have started doing push ups and whatnot lately I feel much better and I am losing weight more easily ... just 5 pounds so far but I am pretty happy in any case since I have only been at it for 13 days
now ...

Good luck to you as well, I'll see if you have a check in page now ... I lilke this site because people are supportive and every little bit can help ...

------

Oatmeal, Yogurt and fruit = Breakfast

Yes, breakfast .. super important ... Let me tell you if you think you have a good idea skipping breakfast to make up for that big meal you had ... or that snack .. or whatever... stop right there ...

It never works !! ;-)

You can make it a lil' bit and then you get so hungry you'll eat just about anything ... even if you have a lot of will power you will be on the Highway to HELL there ...
it will not be pleasant at all.

I always try to have oatmeal for breakfast . I let it soak for 12 hours and then it cooks quickly in the microwave the next day, convenient ...

I have a big bowl (150g.-160g dry oatmeal, I add 600g. of water ... a few raisins, microwave for 4 minutes, cover and wait 10 minutes ...) I have that with some yogurt, about 250g. and sometimes a fruit or I save the fruit for later

(I don't do the strict No-S, sometimes I save a lil' something for later as long as it's something I could have had during my meal, doesn't make a lot of difference to me ...

Oatmeal is good for me and it fills me up a long time without adding a ton of calories ...

The other day I was even considering eating oatmeal twice a day : breakfast and lunch, I really like it a lot.
Plus oatmeal is quite inexpensive especially if you buy it in bulk.

Hope all is well.
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 am

Welcome!! Sounds like you're really taking to this system already.

Keep up the good work!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

tamburello32

Post by tamburello32 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 am

Hi LPearlMom ... Yes, I am really motivated these days ... Already lost 5.0 lbs within 13 days and today (Saturday) I had another excellent day.

I should step on the scale again on Sunday morning probably (I weigh myself twice per week usually ...) if all goes well and I have a good saturday of course my weight should be down again ... a lil' bit at a time at least.

But again, if it is not ... I know all I have to do is persevere a lil' bit more and then it'll happen next time ...

The worst thing you can do when you step on the scale is to be frustrated if you haven't lost any weight at all when you have been good a few days in a row and then get upset and overeat right away thinking you made a lot of effort and nothing good happened ... instead of sticking it out and keeping up the good habits ...

I am really against the idea of weighing every day for that reason but that's just my opinion ... too many things can influence your weight up or down in just 24 hours.

If you do that you know you'll be pleased next time instead of being frustrated.

I am often surprised when I get hungry all of a sudden ... and then I just wait a few minutes and it goes away ... often without doing anything at all.

I just get distracted doing something else so I don't think about it ... or if that doesn't work I drink one or two big glasses of water and wait. Of course you have to do something when you feel hungry 'cause if you just sit there and think about how hungry you are and do nothing ... you'll eventually give in and forbidden tasty foods will be really tempting ... you'll just start thinking about all the good food you could be eating now ... that would be torture !!

I try to avoid things that I have issues with. For me it's often cookies, crackers, pita bread, bagels ... I try not to buy too many things I have trouble resisting ... For example if I go to the store and they have a deal on salty potato chips, 4 large bags for 6$ ... and I buy all 4 of course thinking I won't have to buy any for a long time ... and I'll be able to resist ...they may be gone in less than a week and then I gained 5 pounds and think ... why did I buy those in the first place !! ;-(

Also going to bed when you are hungry works .. When I have issues with hunger it is often late at night so if I sleep it off, no damage done ...

Hope all goes well.
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

tamburello32

Struggling through adversity. ;-)

Post by tamburello32 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Ok, nothing new to report ... Weigh in this morning, same as the last time (2 days ago) ... still lost 5 pounds total. I am not depressed or anything though.

A lil' bit disappointed since I had been good so I was hoping to have lost something but I weighed in on the 13th so that's only 2 days ... I know if I persevere the weight will keep coming off ... that's called struggling through adversity ! ;-)

When you get depressed and it gets harder, easier to be naugthy and overeat, not exercise ... you have to accept it'll be a struggle - - so you know what you're in for ... adversity.

Work outs on the 13th and 14th ... cycling and sprinting + calisthenics : Total 40 minutes each day ... today on the 15th, taking it easy a lil' bit ... I plan on doing my calisthenics and some jumping jacks as well + squat jumps to get my heart rate up ... I should only do 20 minutes total though.

Diet, spot on ... yesterday there was even pizza that was temping me ... someone was here and brought homemade pizzas ... hum ... I didn't even have a slice, nothing ... I was just checking them out, pepperoni, cheese ... hum ... but I know I would have been happy only for a few minutes. I had already planned my dinenr anyway ... so it was alright. Anyway I am really motivated now so it is easier then to resist the temptations ...

Free tip :

I really like milk, soy milk as well ... I add some water often and make a weak soy chocolate milk drink ... I microwave it for 4 minutes, add some cocoa powder and a bit of Splenda, not much ... tastes good to me. Plus adding water is always good ... zero calories and fills you up.

You drink a couple of big glasses and then you are not hungry anymore. Carries you to the next meal ... or often in my case, until it's time to go to bed ... 80% of the times when I overeat it is late at night so I know I have to be careful too ... not staying up too late !

Hope all is well.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:39 am

Sounds like you're doing great & nice you can be so objective about your weigh-ins.

Have a great week!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160