Free's Daily Check- in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

free

Free's Daily Check- in

Post by free » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Card all out in the open... Here's my story

I was a skinny kid. And now in my late teens I'm not obese, but not a happy with my eating habits as well... I used to binge on cakes which I loved to bake, lying to myself that a homemade cake was far more nutritious than bakery ones. Either ways I was miserable, weekly I found myself in a state of pain. My stomach was bloated and hurt so bad. Soon I developed an acid reflux which somehow became a pancreas complication, causing me to vomit for hours non-stop.

What appealed to me about the No-S wasn't the losing weight prospect (although toning up is a goal of mine), but the habit building side. Not to mention its sustainability. No other diet, whether it was the doctor's trying to improve my nutrition intake, or a common fad, worked on the habit aspect. So I found myself, still binging, despite the adverse side effects this bad habit had on me.

I'm working out of it, albeit slowly. So Here's my Daily check-in. I guess that's why I named myself free, so I can free myself from this food jail and constant perma-binging (perma-snacking's big brother) ;p

I actually started this way back when but never kept track of it using the HabitCal although I did continue striving to eat 3 meals a day no snacks. Fortunately, I have a supportive mother and father who strives to cook me 3 delicious, nutritious meals. The No-S users are also very supportive.

January 2015

Day 1:

SUCCESS... This is a good start. Since my first actual start on No-S I've gone through many periods of failure, but at this point I'm able to take on 3 meals a day and not feel deprived. I feel the key for me is to pray lots to ask for support from the lord (sorry, if this sounds preachy) and eat slowly, enjoying the company of those around me.

Day 2:

SUCCESS... Actually, to be honest the trouble is during the S-Days. I feel utterly and completely vulnerable to binging.

Day 3:

S-Day. I did end up sleeping with a slight pain in my stomach. I held off fine until lunch and things started to go down hill. I had a slice of my homemade carrot cake with cheese cake frosting. Then I had the urge to have more, but I then slowed down my eating trying to savour each flavour and it worked. Then dinner came, quite late, this was where I guess I went out of control and had a few too many plates of rice. But atleast I have limited my binging to dinner only. Previously it was an all day perma-binging thing.

Day 4:

S-Day. Okay. I had 2 peanut butter and banana muffins. One for breakfast and another for afternoon tea. Then I had lunch and dinner. So Its fine. A square of chocolate after dinner too. So I guess its okay. Perhaps, even an S-Day victory??? I know that is an odd concept, but for me who has trouble with Binge Eating S-Days are the actual battle ground. Sometimes I prefer restriction than freedom, but I know if I keep up that mentality my habits wont be built. I'll just keep relying to trying to fix the food instead of fixing the actual problem location:me

Anyways... hope this is useful in any way... :)