LifeisaBlessing's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LifeisaBlessing

LifeisaBlessing's check in

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone!

As encouraged by lpearlmom, I'm starting a check in! Feel free to comment or ask any questions. :)

6/2/16

Breakfast: Bowl of All Bran with whole milk and cream, half-caf coffee with french vanilla creamer (big mug that lasts all day; I usually reheat and drink at various times throughout the day)

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs, small container of cottage cheese, small bag of chips, 1 mini-Reese's pb cup, handful of chocolate covered raisins.

Dinner: Three sushi, vegetable fried rice, vegetable lo mein, slice of cake.

Drink water throughout the day.

Activity: 10K+ steps

My main problems with food have always been the amounts--whether it's seconds, snacking, or sweets. Limiting foods to eating just at mealtimes, and keeping the quantities to a plate's worth of food have been the key for me. By not limiting the types of food I can have, I'm not experiencing any sense of deprivation on my version of NoS.

It's important for me to track my weight every day. That way, I can nip any potential problems in the bud right away.

Rather than making this post too long, if anyone is interested, I will answer any questions on specifics as they come up.

Thanks for visiting and reading! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Good on you Lifesablessing. Happy to have you here in the check in section!

As I wrote on the general discussion thread, I'm thinking of adopting your plan! My reasons are I've been on and off with no s for years, I've recommitted and have had 'perfect compliance' for the last 2 months..and I definitely feel great but no loss of weight..not a gram! I have been committed to habit over weight loss (as I'm coming from a diet head/disordered eating place) and I only really want to lose 3-4 kgs (6-7pounds?) so I haven't been concerned about the weight loss so far. I'm really happy with my solid habit of 3 meals no snacking..but I am wondering if I'm overfilling my plates to make up for the lack of sweets or just lack of freedom to have a sweet if I want? It really does come down to eating less in the end..and if I know I can have say a piece of chocolate with a meal then perhaps I will load less on my plate and therefore consume less overall..hmmm. Sorry to take over your thread! I have been thinking about doing a mod similar to yours and then you popped up on the forum so it's got me thinking.. I'll try it out over the weekend and perhaps give it a go for a week or 2..

All the best..glad to have you here.
Also it's great you do 10,000 steps..is that 7 days a week?

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi cedar!

Please don't apologize for anything--I'd love to answer any questions! :)

For myself, I notice that I don't tend to fill up my plates at meals since I both literally and figuratively "make room" for the snack and/or sweet. It's kind of a psychological ploy that works for me. Also, if I start eating a regular food that ends up tasting blech, I will stop eating it and sub in another food item--maybe making my snack/sweet item a little bigger than normal since I eliminated another food item from my plate.

And yes, I do walk 10K steps, 7 days a week. I do this basically doing tasks around the house, running errands, etc. If I find I'm getting towards the end of the day and am running short of goal, I'll jog in place or do housewalking. I have to be judicious about the housewalking because it tends to annoy other family members--I do better with that when I'm alone in the house lol.

Hope this helps you a bit--feel free to ask more questions anytime! :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Glad you found your way over here blessing!

I like your plan. I've started adding a piece of caramel after lunch & dinner and find its a very satisfying way to finish the meal. It seems to take the edge off of my S days too. Yay!

Great job on your steps!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Linda--thanks for your kind words--and I hope your little sweet mod works well for you! :)

6/3-6/6 Breakfasts:
Bowl of All Bran with whole milk and cream; half-caf coffee with french vanilla creamer (again, this will last most of the day and is reheated as needed)

6/3-6/6 Lunches:
Three scrambled eggs; snack bag of chips; sweet treat either consisting of slice of cake, or toast with butter and honey and another slice of toast with butter and apple butter.

Dinners:
6/3 - Vegetable risotto with cheese, fried new potatoes, chocolate cupcake.
6/4 - Grilled shrimp, potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, salad with Italian dressing, slice of cake.
6/5 - Gilled tilapia and shrimp, fried new potatoes, salad with Italian dressing, Dairy Queen small vanilla cone with sprinkles

Exercise:
10K+ steps every day.
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:50 am

Hi! I popped over here to ask you how you handle wanting to go out for ice cream and I see in the above post that you had a vanilla cone from dairy queen! In the summer, we usually go out about once a week for ice cream. Do you just eat a smaller meal if you know you're going out, or take a red day? Do you get the cone because you like it or because it's a smaller portion/ calorie count? I love their vanilla cones but I usually get a Reese cup blizzard. Go big or go home, right! I'm curious about trying your mod, but I'm afraid I'll abuse it and gain weight. That might be the diet head whispering doubts to me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:12 am

Looks like you're doing great blessing and your food looks yummy. I take it you like to cook?

Keep up the good work!

Linda

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:30 pm

MaggieMae - Thanks so much for stopping by! :) To answer your questions, I always build my meals (except breakfast usually) to include snacks and sweets with them. So going out for ice cream would be the sweet portion of my meal. It's funny you asked about Dairy Queen preferences, though. I do like their vanilla cones, but the choice to have it is definitely more due to the calorie content. I had been indulging in the mini-size salted caramel blizzards (which really aren't all that big), and my weight loss was stalling for a bit. Just out of curiosity, I checked online to see how many calories was in a mini salted caramel blizzard--color me shocked to see it was 450!!!!!!! :shock: And while I don't obsessively count every calorie that I eat, I do consider myself "calorically aware," if that makes any sense. So I subbed in a vanilla cone with sprinkles--a much more doable 250-300 calorie treat, which still allows me to eat a normal-sized dinner/lunch. Sometimes, though, if I know ahead of time that we'll be going to DQ, I'll cut back on other foods during the meal to make room (both physically and calorically) for a bigger treat.

Part of the reason I do the mod of NoS I do is that I'm fine with taking smaller portions of snacks and treats because they are just a meal away. When I bring cakes/cookies/pies home for desserts, it's easy to take smaller portions because there is always lots left over for the next meal. I buy big variety bags of snack-sized chips packets so I can choose a small but substantial snack, or just grab a small handful of snacks for my snack portion of the meal. The law of diminished returns works great for limiting the size of both snacks and sweets--they are much more pleasurable in smaller, but definitely tasty, quantities. :)

lpearlmom--Your comment about my liking to cook made me smile! I can cook, but it's definitely not a preferred activity. Any grilled dish above was made by my husband (master griller!), and the vegetable risotto was made by my daughter and her friend who wanted to cook us dinner. I was inspired by them to make chicken risotto yesterday, however, but that was very unusual for me lol! Thanks for stopping by! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Welcome to the form (:

I love how you are doing this!! I don't have a problem with sweets either & have thought that this summer especially I would need to add a mod for the occasionaly ice cream after dinner. My crew too loves DQ. My favorite is the small cherry dipped cone. I'm like you "calorie aware". I like that way of saying it (:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Alright, blessings, I'm following your mod today! I feel a little naughty for having sweets on a Tuesday. Haha. I actually had planned to have two small cookies at lunch but I was so full after my salad and sandwich that I didn't want them! I think it's psychological.... Knowing I can have something if I want takes that feeling of restriction away. I ate less food at dinner because I had a small piece if cheesecake sitting there. Normally, I would have eaten every bite to keep me satisfied all evening. Hmmm. I'll see how this goes . I'll have to be careful not to over indulge in large portions of sweets or make them my main meal. so, do I mark today as green since I stuck to the three meals planned?

cedar

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 am

Good luck MaggieMae! It's working well for me so far..FYI. :D

I rambled on a bit in my thread blessing, but just wondering (and you too Jen if you happen to read this) do you have a daily calorie goal you try to aim for each day..even if it's very loose?

Love reading your posts lovelies..what an awesome community! Xx

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Jen1974 - Thanks for visiting and your warm welcome! :) I'm glad to know a fellow DQ-lover! And yes, caloric awareness is possible without becoming obsessive about it--it's part of the reason for my success with NoS this time around. I modified to having sweets because of the "unexpectedness" of going out for dessert--most of the time, it didn't happen on a weekend lol! Also, I found that I became a bit too eager on the weekends to overindulge in sweets since I couldn't have them during the week, thus another reason for the mod.

MaggieMae - Woohoo! :) So glad you're giving the mod a whirl. I'd say call it a green day since the mod is part of your plan, for now. What you mentioned about not eating as much food at meals since you knew you had a sweet waiting was actually the key to making the sweet mod work for me. Don't be afraid to track your progress and cut back on the size/quantity of sweets if need be--see my note above about the mini-DQ salted caramel blizzard. It's good to be aware of calories to an extent so you can make better informed decisions about the sweets you have, and in what quantities. And remember, if you follow this mod, a sweet treat is just a meal away, so no worries about waiting too long for another one. :)

cedar - Thanks again for visiting. :) I really don't shoot for a particular calorie goal. Since I weigh myself every night, I just make sure to keep an eye on if the scale is moving up, down, or staying the same. Based on that, I may adjust my food as necessary the next day. (See story about the mini-blizzard above.) I find that if I fixate on a daily goal calorie number, I start entering the overly restrictive "diet head" that we all love to hate. :wink:
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Breakfasts this week:
Bowl of All Bran with whole milk and cream, large mug of coffee with flavored creamer (to be drunk throughout the day and reheated as needed--this works fantastically to combat the "empty gut" feeling that sometimes comes around between meals).

Lunches this week:
Three scrambled eggs, little carton of cottage cheese, snack bag of chips, some form of sweet--mostly toast with butter and honey and/or apple butter, or some small handful of candy.

Dinners this week:
Main course with yummy protein (no restrictions on what this is, takes up about half a plate to leave room for dessert/sweet/snacky-type food), bowl of salad with Italian dressing.

As always, I welcome any and all questions. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

noni

Post by noni » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:10 am

Hi Life, I noticed your breakfasts and lunches do not vary much. Is this because it's merely convenient? I remember an author of a book who lost a lot of weight, saying, she keeps breakfast and lunch the same to help keep her slim. She knows about what she eats, calorie-wise, those two times, so it's easier to control her weight.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi noni! :) My breakfast and lunches are mostly the same types of food because of routine/convenience, rather than a specific calorie count. I eat the All Bran because it's the most tasty of the high fiber cereals on the market, with the most vitamins and minerals. Eggs are one of my favorite proteins, and the three number seems to be the best amount for my purposes (two isn't enough, and four feels like too much). I don't precisely measure calories for any meal, so the calorie level for breakfast and lunch would probably vary over the course of the week.

Hope this helps! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:10 pm

I'll be cutting back on posting to my check in since I'll basically be saying the same things every time I post! :D Feel free to ask me questions here directly, or PM if you'd prefer more information.

Stats as of today:
Weight: 115-116 lbs.
Bodyfat: 20%

Basic plan: Three meals consisting of anything including snacks and sweets, seven days a week. 10K+ steps per day.
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi Lifeisablessing -- I also tend to stick with the same breakfast and lunch every day. And I am a great fan of All Bran which I have every weekday morning. If I don't have it and eat my hard boiled egg, I have problems with err "irregularity" as the ads always put it! :D

I know that All Bran and the egg will fill me up and keep me ok until lunch which will be yogurt and fruit - and that will keep me good until dinner - which is a social occasion and will vary every night. That is the meal that I put some thought into!

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Thank you Life and LL. I'm all over the place with my first two meals, and I think a routine would be helpful.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:33 am

Hey LifeisaBlessing, I just wanted to thank you for posting about your plan. I just don't have time these days to scan the forum or post, but in viewing this today randomly it struck a chord. I've tried no s every now and then since I've had the twins but I always get panicky in between meals. I tried to do my old mod which sounds very similar to yours but it wasn't working. I'm not sure what the difference is. Can I ask though, when you say that you include snacks and desserts as part of your plate can you eat them at any time of day even in between meals? Also, do you have caloric beverages in between meals? I will often make a cup of coffee with vanilla cream or mocha etc. but that can add up in calories. Thanks so much

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for sharing your mod. Sounds very doable!
May I ask, do you allow ANY snacking between meals, e.g. in the form of virtual plating? On hot summer days I'm very tempted to walk into some ice cream shop (we have TONS here) and have a cone, but I'm not sure how that would work with your mod.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Sinnie and Imogen - As a rule, I usually have my snacks and desserts with the actual meal. Sometimes, though, if a situation arises--like knowing ahead of time that we'll be going out for ice cream after dinner--I will "leave room" for the treat on my plate at dinner, eating it later than the actual meal.

I had a similar discussion with cedar about cooking brownies with her daughter after lunch. If this was a planned event, she could count it as her sweet for lunch and leave room on her plate in advance for it. If the baking was unplanned, she could then make room on her plate at the later meal (dinner). Another suggestion could be to set the treat aside in a plastic bag to save for the next meal--that would cut back on the in-between-meal snacking, and the possibility to forget you had a treat.

The danger on making this a common occurrence is the tendency to slide back into an all-day eating pattern, or "forgetting" that you had a snack and/or treat and not budgeting it into your plate at the next meal. When life happens and things get in the way, it's sooooo easy to let what you've eaten between meals slip your mind! Been there, done that!

Regarding caloric beverages, I budget my morning coffee with flavored creamer into my breakfast meal. This is a pretty big mug of coffee, and I will usually sip at it throughout the day (reheating as necessary), especially when needing to take the edge off hunger, or if I'm tempted to go off plan. I also drink water or diet soda (if I'm craving it) throughout the day. The point is, since I've already counted the coffee with flavoring for breakfast, having it throughout the day has already been budgeted and accounted for--it's not something in addition to my day's meals.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask other questions if you want more specific examples on how I handle special case situations. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:10 am

I love reading your posts Lifeisablessing! I'm currently on day 1 of your mod and really like it so far. Thanks for all the advice!! I'm going to start my own thread to see how it goes!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the answers. I'm on day two, but since I don't want to hijack your thread, I'll post about the details in mine later on.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm

moderatemeals - Thanks for the kind words! :) And I'll definitely stop by your check in thread. Feel free to ask questions either here or there. :)

Imogen - I'll take a look in your check in thread, but no worries on thread hijacking here. I'll be happy to answer questions no matter where you post them. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:41 am

Hi blessing, glad to see you're still posting and thanks for stopping by my thread. Looks like a lot of people are finding your ideas/mods helpful.

Linda :)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Linda! :) Hopefully I'm helping others (one of my main reasons for joining).

Just a side note--still following all my mods, and it worked beautifully over the 4th holiday! It was great being able to enjoy all the picnic foods like potato salad, macaroni salad, beans, hot dogs, pies, etc. and still stay on plan. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 am

Yay for enjoying holidays instead of stressing about all the food you can't eat! &#127881;

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:53 am

Hey you haven't posted on your thread for awhile so I'm assuming that's just because everything is going smoothly with not much to report. Hopefully!

Just wanted to thank you again for your helping me feel better about the sahm thing. When I was tucking my girls into bed tonight, I thought about what you said about it all passing so quickly. That really pulled on my heart strings and I realized how glad I am that I get to spend as much time as possible with them. I wouldn't want to trade that for anything.

(Nothing against working moms. Many pros to that as well!)

Thanks again & happy weekend!

Linda

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Linda!

Yes things have been going smoothly (for the most part lol!). :) I have been maintaining, and even lost a bit more, so I'm feeling great about how I'm doing NoS with my mods, and with the occasional deviation when times get crazy (like during our daughter's move the other day; had snacks instead of a meal). Glad I was able to help with the SAHM situation; like you, nothing against working moms, just sharing what worked for our family. :)

Thanks for stopping by! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:16 am

Hi Life! A question for you. You mentioned in one of your posts about protein supplementation. What do you use? Approximately how many grams per day/meal are you targeting? Thank you for sharing your experience on this board. I find it very helpful!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi Apprentice!

Thanks for stopping by, and welcome to the NoS boards! :) This really is a great place, and there are so many helpful people with lots of different perspectives. And thanks for your vote of confidence--I'm very humbled. :)

Regarding protein supplementation, I have tried many different things and now stick to delicious protein bars. My absolute favorite is the "Pure Protein" brand. They range from 19-21 grams of protein per bar, for 180-200 calories. They are also readily available and reasonable; Walmart carries them for the best price. I also like protein bars put out by Quest. You can also find these everywhere, but are more expensive than Pure Protein. Quest's bars also contain quite a bit of fiber, which might take some ***ahem*** getting used to, if you know what I mean lol! :D

I also like protein chips (like potato chips, put out by Quest), but unfortunately DON'T like that I have to go into GNC to buy them--the clerks are friendly but very pushy in my area, and I get weary of the constant hard sell to buy things there, or join their "club." So I tend to avoid the store, thus I don't usually have protein chips on hand.

Regarding protein grams/day and grams/meal, I aim for a minimum of 20 grams per meal, with 60 grams per day being my absolute minimum. My "goal" per day, without getting too obsessive or crazy, is 80-100 grams of protein. If I reach it, great, if not, as long as I hit 60 grams, I'm okay with that. :)

If you're curious about my reasons for focusing on protein, I've discovered that I have better satiety after/between meals with higher protein content during the meals. A higher protein intake for me has helped in additional fat loss, better body shaping results, and I've noticed feeling generally "better" when I'm hitting my protein goals consistently.

Thanks again for stopping by! Feel free to ask me more questions if you'd like additional details about how my meals look in a typical day, my workouts, etc. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Life, thank you for such a thorough response! I also find protein to be very satisfying. I like to add whey protein to whole milk + malted milk to make a "smoothie". I love the taste. I am 5'5" small-framed and weigh 123. I have plenty of stored energy on me and would like to get lower body fat range. I have struggled with restricting and then binging for a while. I got to my lowest weight this summer by restricting but was unable to maintain it. It seemed that when I got to below 120 my hunger would not abate(although I did not concentrate much on protein). I did well on three meals for a while except hunger was ever present and I would binge. I mistakenly searched online. Long story short I ended up trying intuitive eating. Well, I gained 8 pounds within a month with that approach. I wrote in Jen's journal that I want to be a good example for my 4 children. I desire to be a good steward of this temple that God has given me to live for His glory. I don't want to be a slave to disordered eating habits. I love the structure of 3 meals a day. I do three meals and no seconds except when I don't allow myself sweets on N days I rebel and binge. I like your mods of including sweets on N days. When I allow myself a moderate portion of sweet I seem to be more self-controlled in general. I don't lust after it all week long. I decide on a reasonable portion, eat it with gladness and move on! A question for you. Are you calorie aware when you plan your meals or do you just fill one plate/bowl with the amount that looks reasonable. Also, when every fiber of your being wants to eat and it's not your meal time what do you do?

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Apprentice1981 wrote:Life, thank you for such a thorough response!
Apprentice, I'm thrilled that you're asking me questions/advice! One of the main reasons I joined the forum was I wanted to be available to others as a resource since I succeeded in attaining (and surpassing) my goals utilizing NoS as a framework. So ask away! :)
I also find protein to be very satisfying. I like to add whey protein to whole milk + malted milk to make a "smoothie". I love the taste.
Utilizing the amazing filling effects of protein has really helped me in achieving my goals.
I am 5'5" small-framed and weigh 123. I have plenty of stored energy on me and would like to get lower body fat range.
You are right where I started!
I have struggled with restricting and then binging for a while. I got to my lowest weight this summer by restricting but was unable to maintain it. It seemed that when I got to below 120 my hunger would not abate(although I did not concentrate much on protein). I did well on three meals for a while except hunger was ever present and I would binge. I mistakenly searched online. Long story short I ended up trying intuitive eating. Well, I gained 8 pounds within a month with that approach.
One of the things I did as I was losing fat/weight on the NoS Diet framework was to take what worked for me from various diets I had tried in the past. I actually applied some intuitive eating by only having foods that I loved during my three meals. Otherwise, the three meal restriction would feel too much like torture. It worked!
I wrote in Jen's journal that I want to be a good example for my 4 children. I desire to be a good steward of this temple that God has given me to live for His glory. I don't want to be a slave to disordered eating habits. I love the structure of 3 meals a day. I do three meals and no seconds except when I don't allow myself sweets on N days I rebel and binge. I like your mods of including sweets on N days. When I allow myself a moderate portion of sweet I seem to be more self-controlled in general. I don't lust after it all week long. I decide on a reasonable portion, eat it with gladness and move on!
I feel the exact same way! It was very important for me that I "fit in" with the rest of the family during meals. Eating what they have, rather than cooking a "special" meal for me has been a relief. And no restrictions on the types of foods is just as important. Your eating plan should fit into your life, not the other way around!
A question for you. Are you calorie aware when you plan your meals or do you just fill one plate/bowl with the amount that looks reasonable.
I do practice caloric awareness. It's important to keep in mind, otherwise one plate's worth of food can easily turn into a day's worth of calories. I don't, however, count every single little morsel I eat, or weigh anything. I glance at portion sizes on packaging to get an idea, and structure my plates/bowls from there. I also weigh myself every day. This is extremely important. It allows for adjustments to food amounts immediately, to ensure that you're on the right track and getting the fat and weight loss results you want.
Also, when every fiber of your being wants to eat and it's not your meal time what do you do?
I always always always always keep in mind my, what I like to call, "pivotal moment." That was the point where I absolutely decided that enough was enough--I was going to do this. No looking back. It keeps me on plan every time I'm tempted to eat outside of mealtime. Your pivotal moment will be different from mine, but it's extremely important that you can call upon it at a moment's notice. Really think about this. It's got to be something strong enough to override your desire to eat at anytime--hot weather, cold weather, holidays, parties, etc.

Also, and I've said this before on the forum, unless your bodyfat percentage is close to essential levels (10-13% for females; 2-5% for males), your body has plenty to feed itself between meals when you're hungry or tempted to eat. This assumes that you are eating three times a day. Mentally tell your body if it's hungry to eat the excess fat on itself! I did this a lot in the very beginning when my body rebelled against reduced food amounts. It worked!

Granted, all this can be very challenging when you're surrounded by friends and family at a holiday party, the fire is burning in the fireplace, it's snowing outside, and there's lots of yummy goodies to be eaten on the tables that are overly laden with food. Summer shorts and swimsuits seem very far away and not much of a big deal when things are so nice and warm and cozy indoors, and everyone is bundled up in their winter clothing. That's why you really need to embed your pivotal moment in your brain so that it overrides present comfort levels and keeps you on plan. You can definitely enjoy parties and such, but stay in control. It can be done--I'm living proof! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 am

telling your body to go ahead and dip into the storage is a GREAT idea, and I've used it here and there, though I've gotten to where the false hunger between meals doesn't bother me at all. Still, great advice I have enough "food storage" packed on my hips and belly to last the requisite 3 1/2 years (hahaha just kidding...bet I could go a month though ;) )

anyway, good reading here. :)

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:24 am

Life you are truly a blessing! I am so thankful for your willingness to be so helpful... giving your time and energy to answer my questions! I am honored to glean nuggets of wisdom from you.
Would you give me an approximate calorie range per meal that you keep. I understand that it varies from meal to meal and day to day but I just wanted to know since we are the same height and you said you started at the weight I am now. I have a history of overly restricting my calories so not sure what is an appropriate caloric goal for me is. I get mixed messages from online sources.
Also, when you factor in dessert into your meal do you try to have it right after your meal or do you wait a while. The reason why I am asking is that sometimes I like to have something sweet after dinner but I like to take my time and savour it. I end up rushing it because I need to clean up after dinner and get everyone ready for bed. I sometimes feel guilty enjoying my treat after children are in bed and it has been 1.5-2 hours after dinner.
You mentioned that your goal is 10000 steps. Do you do any other form of exercise?
Thank you so much again!

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:15 am

I would love to get an idea of your breakfast proportions/amount. I noticed that you eat All bran. I eat it as well!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:45 pm

buns--thanks for stopping by! :) And lol on the "food storage" comment! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:07 pm

Apprentice1981 wrote:Life you are truly a blessing! I am so thankful for your willingness to be so helpful... giving your time and energy to answer my questions! I am honored to glean nuggets of wisdom from you.
Would you give me an approximate calorie range per meal that you keep. I understand that it varies from meal to meal and day to day but I just wanted to know since we are the same height and you said you started at the weight I am now. I have a history of overly restricting my calories so not sure what is an appropriate caloric goal for me is. I get mixed messages from online sources.
Thank you so much again for your kind words! :) I am thrilled to be able to help you out, especially since you started in the same place as I was, and I also have a small frame.

I had to give this some thought, but when I looked at my meals, it generally runs in the ~500 calorie per meal range. Like you said, though, this can vary, but it stays roughly around there (without my getting overly obsessive about weighing/measuring). To give you an update on my stats, I hover around 113 lbs., 17-18% body fat.

Also, when you factor in dessert into your meal do you try to have it right after your meal or do you wait a while. The reason why I am asking is that sometimes I like to have something sweet after dinner but I like to take my time and savour it. I end up rushing it because I need to clean up after dinner and get everyone ready for bed. I sometimes feel guilty enjoying my treat after children are in bed and it has been 1.5-2 hours after dinner.
Dessert timing can vary for me, but as long as you factor dessert into your meal, you'll be fine whenever you eat it. Usually I'll have it right after the meal, but in the case of going out for ice cream, it is way after the meal, when I'm done cleaning up the kitchen. So enjoy dessert no matter when you have it--no guilt! :)

You mentioned that your goal is 10000 steps. Do you do any other form of exercise?
Thank you so much again!
Once I got down to a body size and body fat percentage that I was happy with from my eating plan, I wanted to see if I could sculpt and refine things a bit using some exercises from routines that I had done years ago. So recently, I put together a routine from a DVD series that I did from BeachBody--Slim in 6. Using two of the workouts from that series (Burn it Up and Keep it Up), I created two separate 20-minute total body routines that have been working fantastically for muscle toning and shaping.

It's important to note here that I did all this AFTER I lost my fat/weight. For too many years, I always looked to exercise to "burn those calories" and assist in the weight loss process. For me, though, exercise is such a small part of the weight loss equation; better time and effort is spent on the eating/calories in part. Unfortunately, it took me way too long to discover that.

I'm convinced that for most of us, unless you're a professional athlete, training for figure competitions, or working out as a career, exercise will not help that much with fat loss. It certainly has other health benefits, but for me, greatly accelerating weight loss is not one of them--however the infomercials tend to mislead you into thinking. :(
Last edited by LifeisaBlessing on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Apprentice1981 wrote:I would love to get an idea of your breakfast proportions/amount. I noticed that you eat All bran. I eat it as well!
I will admit that I ***gasp*** actually measured out what one serving of All Bran looked like so I could eyeball it in the future. One-third of a cup is not that much lol. But after initially measuring and seeing where it fell in the bowl, to gauge the amount now, I always make sure the cereal/milk/cream comes to within about an inch of the rim of the bowl. That seems to be working well! :)

And it's funny, I've tried so many different cereals, but All Bran is the winner for taste (love that crunch!), low calories for what you get, has the highest fiber content of any cereal, and is loaded with the most vitamins and minerals of the high-fiber cereals. Total obviously wins out in the most vitamins and minerals of ANY cereal category, but it is higher in calories and very low in fiber. Gotta have my daily dose of fiber! :D
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 pm

My dear, thank you again! I am hopeful that I can sanely and slowly lose fat this time around without constantly walking around starved. This past spring I got down to 112-114 eating high carb low-ish protein three times a day. I was hungry all the time. I could not maintain that. I binged then restricted then... the cycle continued. I started to include more protein not that long ago. Protein is so satiating! The only time I ate high protein is when I tried a low carb diet. I felt awful doing it because of lack of carbs! I love NoS with your mods!!
Believe it or not I am not into working out much myself, house chores is about all I do these days... BUT Debbie Sieber's Slim in 6 is the only DVD I ever did for an extended period of time! I like her sweet demeanor. Maybe at some point in the future I'll pick it up again&#128522;. I absolutely agree with you in terms of exercise and weighloss.

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Yes, me too with All Bran and Total. All bran wins! &#128522;

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:19 pm

Apprentice, you're very welcome! :) I'm a carb girl at heart, so when adopting a higher-protein mindset I made sure to keep in plenty of carbs. I could never give up breads, cereals, and sweets. Thank goodness there are alternatives to increasing meat consumption for increasing protein, because I doubt I'd be able to handle high protein that way. For me, increasing the protein content in a palatable way has helped to cut back on the "hungries" between meals.

Glad to hear you're a Debbie Siebers fan too! I always liked her straightforward approach to exercise without all the bells and whistles. :) She recently has put a new DVD series out (not connected with BeachBody) that is for the "older" set. I'd look into it, but there are too many of them (actual DVDs), and I'm trying to keep things simple.

Feel free to ask me any other questions--I'm very happy to help! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Thank you my dear! Will be in touch! So far the scale is holding steady but I am totally OK with that. I am in for the long haul! Currently cementing in the habit of 3 meals and protein with each meal. I am feeling a lot better physically and emotionally when I do those 2 habits. I will start "engineering" my meals to reach my goals. I am sure that will take some practice. &#128522;

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Blessings to you Life this Sunday! A question for you. I noticed that you add cream to your milk when you eat your All bran. Can I ask why you do it and how much you add. Do you add any additional protein to that meal?

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Blessings back to you Apprentice! :)

I add an unmeasured amount of cream to the cereal and milk for taste and added fat content for more "holding power." If I had to guess, it's probably close to ~2 tablespoons? But I never measure it precisely. And this is one meal that I always eat a protein bar at since the main portion of the meal is cereal--not a high amount of protein there even with the milk. Since I aim for a minimum of 60 grams of protein a day, it's important to get in at least 20 at each meal. A delicious protein bar solves that problem, with the added bonus of increasing the satiety factor of breakfast! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Thank you my dear! I have been eating my All bran with Greek yoghurt which has been nice but wanted to have an alternate combination. &#128522;

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Apprentice--you're very welcome! :) And adding the Greek yogurt is a wonderful idea for extra protein. It's funny, I've tried sooooooo many times, but I just don't like yogurt. It would be great if I could like it since it's an excellent protein and calcium source, but I don't know what it is that just doesn't appeal to me about it. Luckily, there are other protein choices, and I feel confident that that I've given yogurt a good try over the years. It's just not going to happen for me!
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:14 pm

I completely understand&#128522;. I grew up in Eastern Europe and fermented milk products were a mainstay. Greek yogurt is pricey so I started making it. Have a blessed day!

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

I wanted to add that as much as I enjoy yoghurt there are seasons in my life when I get tired of it and nothing beats the creaminess and sweetness of milk and cream :D

Apprentice1981

I am struggling

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:00 pm

My dear, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through. It's been a while since I've written. I've been struggling. My weight is not budging. Couple of days ago it was 122.6. I feel discouraged when I weigh myself daily and don't see any significant changes. In the last 10 days or so I started obsessing about the caloric and protein content of my meals. I got nervous when my meals didn't include much protein.I started counting calories and protein grams again hoping to see the scale # go down. I've been doing 500-600ish meals and 30g+ protein per meal. I've turned it into a diet and not a lifestyle. In the last week I scaled down on sweets/snacky type foods thinking maybe that's what's "causing" my stall. I also started reading tooo much about benefits of protein and listening to podcasts on intuitive eating. Yesterday was one of those perpetually hungry days. About 2 hours after lunch I was hungry...soo hungry(couldn't think straight) that my "willpower" broke(in retrospect my mindset was altered by IE podcasts) and I gave in and had a snack (fruit). It left me very ravenous. I don't understand why fruit leaves me so ravenous!! I balanced it with cheese but was still ravenous. Hindside 20/20 I wish I didn't give in into my craving. I continued snacking for the rest of the day &#128542;. I totaled my calories and it was approximately 3500 calorie day. This morning I couldn't face the scale. You are so right on when you mention snacking getting you into trouble and also not including snacky/sweet foods. I fell into the trap again! I think I need to stop "researching" and searching for THE answer. When I hit hungry days I look for ways out. I need to learn how to sit with hunger(white knuckle with it at times!) and as you say imagine fat leaving my body. To be completely honest, I keep going back to IE because I don't want to experience hunger. I obsess about protein because I don't want to experience hunger. The fact is I need to learn how to handle hungry days even when all the macronutrients make sense on paper. Also, being a Christian I need to ask God for help! I need to take Jesus at His word and truly not worry about food and drink. IE concepts always lead me to succumb to fleshly desires of snacking and eating to "comfortably full" always lead me to gluttony. &#128542; This method encourages me to trust my feelings. The Bible is clear that heart is deceitful above all else and that we are enticed and dragged away by our own desires. NoS is brilliant in that way. It gives me safe boundaries! I can't do what people around me do. I look forward to heaven when I won't struggle with this "thorn" in my flesh any longer...but for now I need fight the good fight!
I really need to work on the pivotal moment you mentioned.
Last edited by Apprentice1981 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Apprentice--I understand your struggles--this past weekend, I had one of "those" days where it was cold and rainy outside, I was fighting doldrums/boredom, and dealing with big-time PMS--a triple threat of temptation to go off plan!

Some tips:

--I always pray before meals. It's very important to be thankful for blessings, including the food on your plate. Believe me, doing this makes a HUGE difference in compliance and results.

--I stay away from fruit for the most part (unless it's in pie--yum!!!!). It has always made me more hungry, and nothing I combine it with mitigates the "hungry" effect. Save your calories for something that is more satiating.

--Tough love time--it really is all about the calories. If you're not losing weight, you're still eating too many calories. It's as simple as that.

Remember the key to weight/fat loss is finding a reduced calorie eating plan that you can live with. What that means is taking into account personal food likes/dislikes, how your body reacts to certain foods, medical issues, etc., and building a doable, realistic meal plan that you can live with forever, taking all those factors into account. Your meal plan will not necessarily look like mine, or someone who has diabetes or is dealing with reflux (several board members are affected by this).

NoS is a great framework because it works easily within our "three meal a day" society. But for weight/fat loss, you still have to keep your calorie level down, even with NoS. Once you realize this and make peace with it, you will succeed!

Please consider printing out the article at the link below--I reread it whenever I find my willpower failing, or when my "pivotal moment" needs some reinforcement. It is very unapologetic, but tells the hard truth about what it truly takes to lose weight/fat:

Why Am I Not Losing Weight: 11 Reasons You're Failing to Lose Fat
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Life, I don't want this to sound cliche BUT.... This is THE best advice in regards to weightloss I've heard in my entire life! It is priceless.Thank you for being so blunt with me. I bookmarked the amazing article!
Would you recommend for me to take a multivitamin if I don't regularly eat fruit and veggies. I often eat them out of obligation because I've been raised with the philosophy that they are essential to good health. I do like the taste of fruit but I don't like the effects of it on my appetite. Now and again I do crave veggies when they are prepared in a yummy way. I will plan on eating "intuitively" in regards to the type of foods but not the amounts &#128521;. Again, you are a blessing! I am so thankful that God so mercifully placed you in my life at this time.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Apprentice, thank YOU again for your kind words! :) Part of the reason I joined the NoS forums was to be a help to others, and to be available to answer questions based on my successful use of NoS to reach and surpass my goals. Just one way to share the blessings I've received! :)

I think what made the most difference for me using NoS this time around was allowing myself to modify it to suit my needs, always keeping the weight/fat loss in mind, which equaled (and still equals) reduced calories. I refused to tolerate slow weight loss, because I knew that for me, losing the weight sooner rather than later would mean the difference for me to stay on plan or quit. Finding the linked article above was a real life-saver--I knew that my weight/fat loss was completely in my hands, and that I could control the rate just by adjusting the amounts of food in my three meals. Anytime my weight creeps up, I know I need to cut back. Luckily, since I weigh everyday, I don't let it get out of hand. I address it and deal with it immediately.

To answer your question about vitamins--yes, I absolutely do recommend taking one just as an insurance measure. I take Centrum Silver Adults 50+ to cover all bases. The only consistent veggies I eat are salads; I've never been a big fruit and vegetable eater, nor do I see myself becoming one. I save my calories for things I truly want, and other than making sure to get 60-100 grams of protein per day, I don't obsess about "recommended servings" of any other macro- or micronutrient. I do make the exception for protein because it is the one macronutrient that has been proven time and again to be crucial in maintaining lean body mass when losing fat, and is the most recommended macronutrient to keep high as we age.

It's smart of you to eat intuitively for taste, and definitely not volume. The concept of intuitive eating is a good one when applied correctly. Use it to determine your personal food choices based on likes/dislikes, and how your body reacts to certain foods. The mistake I think many people (myself included years ago) make with intuitive eating is that it's a license for unrestrained amounts of food. What it should be a license for is unrestrained types of food. I totally agree with the concept of making all foods legal--you just have to be vigilant about the quantity. Common sense! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:02 pm

The "scales" have fallen off and I see oh so clear. Thank you again!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Love your biblical reference!!!! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:40 pm

It is my manual for this earthly life!

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Pure Protein bars are quite yummy and satiating! They are a nice sweet addition to my breakfast. I love, loooove your mod!! I also got some Centrum vitamins. By taking those I feel at peace that I am not missing anything. Have a blessed weekend!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Apprentice! :)

So glad you like the Pure Protein bars! I pretty much have settled on them exclusively, specifically the "Chocolate Deluxe" since it's the lowest calorie (180) and highest protein content (21 grams) of all of them. Wal*Mart carries the Chocolate Deluxe in a megabox, so it's a real savings over buying them in single servings.

And both DH and I take Centrum Silver 50+ (and have been for awhile), so I'm a big believer in them. It really covers everything, and I feel absolutely no guilt for skimping on fruits and vegetables lol.

You have a blessed weekend too! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Thank you! I looked at the nutrient content of various Centrums and decided to go with the Centrum Silver 50+ eventhough I am 35 ! It's been so nice to eat everything I like in moderation being caloricaly aware and not force fruits and vegetables because they are "good for me".
Last edited by Apprentice1981 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you want to avoid wrongdoing, stay out of temptation

~Dallas Willard

Apprentice1981

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:06 am

I noticed something since taking the fruit out, my hunger feels less like an emergency and more manageable. :D I thought I was being so healthy and virtuous eating fruit almost with every meal.. Eating small amounts of dessert made with real sugar( this past week Reese's miniature cups, peanut butter m&m's and Werthers &#127852; were among my favorite finishers) agrees with my system a lot better than "natural" fruit. Go figure! Thank you for your input on fruit! I thought I was the only one. I love what you said about spending my calories on satiating foods that I truly enjoy. This week I focused on that while "engineering" my meals. It worked! I am more satisfied both physically and mentally.
If you want to avoid wrongdoing, stay out of temptation

~Dallas Willard

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:11 pm

That's fantastic news, Apprentice!!! I'm such a big believer in legalizing all foods, and working within your own biology, preferences, and reactions to foods. That is a major part in getting your eating plan to a place where you can manage it, and lose the weight/fat you want. You really are in control, and when you realize this, it is so liberating and empowering. I'm looking forward to more updates from you--and please feel free to keep asking questions if I can help! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Interesting dialogue going on here - thanks. Keep going!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Rawcookie--thanks for stopping by! :) Feel free to ask questions or add to the discussion if you'd like! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:34 am

Hey Life! I just had to quickly stop by your thread and mention how I have incorporated more of your mod, specifically the protein, and I think it has been the key, the missing link all these years. I bought some quest bars as well as the pure protein bars and would you know it, I don't struggle nearly as much if at all anymore between meals. If there is an urge it's usually just at bedtime where I'm really tired but want or need to stay up for some alone time. Thank you so much! This has been the best week I've had in ages with no binging/general peacefulness around eating (not to mention the scale going in the right direction.)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Sinnie, that's fantastic news!!!! And you're very welcome! :)

It's AMAZING to me the difference adding the protein bars has made in my weight/fat loss results. The bars reduce cravings, keep me satiated, and above all, they taste great!!

When I researched the benefits of increased protein consumption (especially for body composition improvement), I was disheartened initially because I am by no means a meat eater. Eggs, milk, cheese--no problem. But increasing meat consumption? Blech!!! So after researching further, I settled on supplementing with the protein bars. Honestly, the ones I recommend (and still use) taste as good as a candy bar, with the added benefit of a high important macronutrient level. It's a win-win, and has enabled me to get to an unprecedented low adult body weight, with body fat levels in the athlete range--all without working out like a madwoman! Can't beat that! :)

I remember what prompted my weight/fat loss journey in the first place back in March--seeing myself in a dressing room mirror, and being so depressed, so angry at how I looked. That was my "pivotal moment." I also remember going to our local mall a few months later after reaching my initial weight/fat loss goals with my DH to try on some clothes --and being so excited, happy, and pleasantly shocked to see my new, greatly improved reflection in the mirror. Finally--I liked what I saw, and the realization that I succeeded and met my goals nearly brought me to tears.

^^^^THIS is what keeps me on track. THIS is why I will NEVER, God willing, go back to how I was prior to March of this year.

I'm convinced for people to achieve success with weight/fat loss, they need to have some moment in their minds that will serve as a strong reminder to stay the course, stay on plan, and never give up! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 am

Your success and discipline to stick to your mod is so inspirational. Thanks for sticking around to help even though you probably don't need to be here in the sense you don't struggle and need support :)
Once in awhile I'd love to see an update post on your check in just how your individual days go. Do you ever mess up? Do you ever start snacking and then just succumb to the "what the hell" effect?
If I'm to be successful on no s, from years and years of trying, modified is the absolutely only way I'm motivated to do it. For me, I just didn't enjoy vanilla. But as soon as I want a snack I convince myself to calorie count or whatever, just to get permission to do whatever I want. How do you stay motivated?

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Hey blessing, one other question for you before I forget lol
How do you not let your mod turn into making excuses. For example, if you can always just cut into the next meals allotment, by say having an unplanned snack while out with your husband, and then just making dinner a bit smaller - how do you find yourself not taking advantage of that?

Hope that makes sense!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Sinnie wrote:Your success and discipline to stick to your mod is so inspirational. Thanks for sticking around to help even though you probably don't need to be here in the sense you don't struggle and need support :)
Once in awhile I'd love to see an update post on your check in just how your individual days go. Do you ever mess up? Do you ever start snacking and then just succumb to the "what the hell" effect?
If I'm to be successful on no s, from years and years of trying, modified is the absolutely only way I'm motivated to do it. For me, I just didn't enjoy vanilla. But as soon as I want a snack I convince myself to calorie count or whatever, just to get permission to do whatever I want. How do you stay motivated?
Sinnie--thanks so much for your kind words, and for asking your questions. :)

I honestly don't really struggle day-to-day in the sense that I have "major" setbacks. Because I weigh daily and can nip problems in the bud immediately, I don't find myself digging huge holes that are difficult to get out of.

I will give you a recent example of eating more than was necessary. When my DS and I made roasted pumpkin seeds after carving our Halloween pumpkin, I did end up eating many of the seeds between lunch and dinner. Was that a "Red Day" or "Failure"? Nope! I simply adjusted the amount of my dinner to compensate. No "What the hell" effect, or binge.

Also, about two weeks ago, the weight started creeping up a little. Time to panic???? Nope! I simply adjusted the amounts of food at my meals for a few days until the scale started moving back down.

Another NoS practice I don't utilize is the "Green" or "Red" days. I find the success/fail mindset when it comes to eating to be very counterproductive for me in the long run. Instead of rating my eating as a success or failure, I simply make adjustments to match my goals. It's simple, and doesn't pass judgment on my eating habits. :)

My main motivation is that I truly like the way I look now. I'm thrilled to be able to fit into skinny jeans and look good. I like seeing an athletic level of body fat on my scale, without having to work out like an athlete to get it! These keep me from really going crazy with overeating because I know that that road leads away from these things that are making me happy. Don't want that!

Sinnie wrote:Hey blessing, one other question for you before I forget lol
How do you not let your mod turn into making excuses. For example, if you can always just cut into the next meals allotment, by say having an unplanned snack while out with your husband, and then just making dinner a bit smaller - how do you find yourself not taking advantage of that?

Hope that makes sense!
It makes perfect sense, Sinnie. :) To keep my modified version of NoS doable, I really just try to "go with the flow." Since the occasional unplanned snack doesn't happen all the time, there is no real danger of starting to take advantage of it. Just have a solid plan in place, with enough wiggle room for the occasional deviations now and again. Keep an eye on the scale and how you feel after your eating events, adjust accordingly, and you should be well on your way to your goals! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:27 pm

I really appreciate your response. It does make so much sense and I can see why you're successful. I'm really trying to implement it. But I'm lacking the ability to not just say "screw it'" when short term pleasure seems so worth it. I think moderatemeals has the same problem in that when you don't really *need* to lose weight it's easy to say "tomorrow". Kudos to you for avoiding that!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Sinnie - thanks so much for all your kind words! :)

I do find that avoiding the "WTH" effect gets better with practice. It also helps if you negate the results of a "WTH" or mini-binge just by compensating by eating less at the next meal. It's not a form of punishment by any means; you're just leveling out the meal playing field, so to speak. This also avoids the dreaded "Red Day" or "failure" mindset attached to the eating event. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 am

Just popping over to say Hi , Blessing! Hope you're holiday season is going well! I was re-reading your thread here. Lots of good info and discussion on here.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Hey Maggie! Thanks so much for stopping by! :) And yes, my Christmas season is going really well (so fast, though, can't believe it's the 17th already!!!! :o ). Hope you're doing well too and enjoying the holidays! :) And thanks for your kind words. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 am

LifeisaBlessing wrote:

Another NoS practice I don't utilize is the "Green" or "Red" days. I find the success/fail mindset when it comes to eating to be very counterproductive for me in the long run. Instead of rating my eating as a success or failure, I simply make adjustments to match my goals. It's simple, and doesn't pass judgment on my eating habits. :)
I really agree with this. I think its why I keep leaving No s . That all or nothing green or red day mindset doesn't work for me. Im so glad your modifications have worked/are working so well for you!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for stopping by (and for the kudos too! :)) pinkhippie! :)

And I'm happy to report that my NoS mods have continued working beautifully! I'm now down to the 15-16% bodyfat range, have a solid 10-15 minute exercise routine in place, and enjoyed all the goodies the recent holidays had to offer. Some days, my three meals consisted of all goodies, and I still managed to not only maintain, but lose. Can't beat that! :) I'm really looking forward to posting my 1-year success story in April. :)

I find for me, it's all about simplicity with accountability. It works! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:54 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:Thanks for stopping by (and for the kudos too! :)) pinkhippie! :)

And I'm happy to report that my NoS mods have continued working beautifully! I'm now down to the 15-16% bodyfat range, have a solid 10-15 minute exercise routine in place, and enjoyed all the goodies the recent holidays had to offer. Some days, my three meals consisted of all goodies, and I still managed to not only maintain, but lose. Can't beat that! :) I'm really looking forward to posting my 1-year success story in April. :)

I find for me, it's all about simplicity with accountability. It works! :)

Wow, that is pretty amazing! Good for you!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Hey Life! That's amazing! How often would you say you veer outside the three meal structure and snack? Under what circumstances would that be acceptable to you? How long do you wait between meals? Can you give an example how you incorporated the Christmas goodies!? Sorry for all the questions - So interested and curious!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Sinnie wrote:Hey Life! That's amazing! How often would you say you veer outside the three meal structure and snack?
Hey Sinnie! :D How have you been? Hope you had a wonderful holiday! :)

To answer your questions, I usually as a rule don't snack--I just count any eating event as a meal. If, on occasion, I have a bite or two of something, I will mentally budget for it at the next meal and cut back at said meal to allot for the "unexpected" snack.
Under what circumstances would that be acceptable to you?
I really believe that for any plan to be successful it has to fit into your life, your habits, and your schedule. So if I'm with family and there is a snack offered, I will take it and account for it at the next meal. No need for pearl-clutching, "Red" days, "Fails," etc. Keep it simple, doable, and adaptable with no judging of what you're eating.
How long do you wait between meals?
I have no set time. I just eat three meals a day. They average roughly about 4-5 hours apart, but they are definitely not written in stone.
Can you give an example how you incorporated the Christmas goodies!?
Absolutely! :) For breakfast, a selection of Christmas cookies with coffee. Lunch was a handful of homemade Chex mix, cheese, chocolate, and maybe one or two more cookies. Dinner was whatever we happened to be having that day--pizza, Chinese food, or traditional ham/turkey/smoked salmon, etc. The important thing is that I had absolutely no restrictions on the types of food, or forced myself to eat something "healthy" to "balance out" all the goodies. The goodies were my meals, for the most part! :)
Sorry for all the questions - So interested and curious!!
Sinnie--please don't feel bad for asking ANY questions!! That's why I'm here. :)

What enables everything to work for me is the fact that I weigh myself EVERY DAY. No exceptions. From the information on the scale, I then make smart, informed decisions about how much I will eat the next day. Plain and simple--and it works! :)

And I also caution myself about too much navel-gazing, and "analysis paralysis." Gained weight is simply a matter of too many calories. There's really no need to research it to death, analyze it to death, and spend an inordinate amount of time contemplating the whys and hows. Just make peace with eating less, and continue on with the business of everyday living! :)

Thanks for stopping by! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Brilliant. I just love your response.
Thank you :D

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 am

Congrats on your continued success Lifeisablessing! I love reading your story because I think your version of No S is a better fit for me. Do you mind me asking - did you log, journal or use habitual at all when trying to create your habit?

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi moderatemeals! Thanks so much for stopping by, and for your congratulations--it's very kind of you! :)

I don't mind anyone asking any questions, so no worries! :) When I officially came out of lurkdom and joined the boards last June, that was one of the main reasons why. I'm available as a resource for anyone who wants to know how I successfully used and modified NoS to get to my original weight and fat loss goals, and continue to improve. So ask away! :)

To answer your specific question, I never logged, journaled, or used habitcal at any point in my NoS journey. The only thing I really do consistently is weigh daily to keep myself on track. Honestly, this is SO important if you're using NoS to lose fat/weight. It's really the only way to see if what you are doing is working, or if food adjustments are needed. Daily weigh-ins enable you to catch things immediately and deal with them--not waiting weeks or months to essentially start over again if the scales reveal a number you're unhappy with.

I've said this before, but losing weight is all about the calories. NoS provides a wonderful, doable, sustainable framework for reducing calories within the traditional modern society approach of eating three meals a day. That's why it's so brilliant--you really don't need to rearrange your lifestyle to achieve success.

I am absolutely thrilled with the results I'm getting from my modified form of NoS (lowest adult weight ever, 15-16% body fat), and I love to share with others how I did it and answer any questions they may have. So feel free to ask me anything--I'm here to help! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!! It's interesting to me that you didn't actually log or journal...and I'm actually wondering if that is part of the reason for your success. I usually start off with logging or journaling but then if I mess up, it upsets me and I want to give in. It's a very bad perfectionist tendency that I have and I think it would be much smarter for me to NOT log or use habitual because it might just frustrate me. I haven't had long term success yet with NO S and I'm wondering if my logging/journaling just sets me up to feel like a failure and then give up.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! I'm going to keep at your mod but without logging or journaling. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again! You are a great support on the boards!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Awww, moderatemeals, thanks for your kind words! I'm so glad you find my advice helpful.

I am VERY similar to you in my "perfectionist" tendencies, so maybe not logging/journaling would be a good thing for you also? The constant monitoring, writing things down, etc., would drive me crazy! :shock:

One of the main things I learned from my other unsuccessful attempts at dieting and exercising: the less time dwelt on it, the better. Believe me, I know the tendency is to want to always be reading up on your "chosen" dieting method/exercise method/eating plan/etc., but I think it really encourages too much navel-gazing and obsessing about food. Which really, when you think about it, should be the LAST thing you would want to do when you realize that your goal is to be eating less. Another reason that constantly writing food down might not be a fantastic idea!
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Hey! Just introducing myself and letting you know I have read your check-in journal here and it is comforting to know someone else has had a lot of success with the mod that you have, and I am using a similar one (in part knowing it was successful for you). I have also started a check in journal but will definitely be more of a random poster that regular/weekly.

Izzy
Izzy

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:12 am

All comments above resonate with me. I really want to do this, but being a calorie counter has gotten me used to eating whatever I want, whenever I want, kind of like intuitive eating. So when I feel hunger or snacky, I just totally don't care at that moment and decide this doesn't work for me, I'm better off counting calories and getting to snack when I need it etc.
Any great tips for when your mood is just sour/you're hungry/overwhelmed etc? What do you do if you are just exhausted and realllly want a snack to help you unwind, knowing you could technically just "make up for it later"?

So many thanks!!!!!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Izzy wrote:Hey! Just introducing myself and letting you know I have read your check-in journal here and it is comforting to know someone else has had a lot of success with the mod that you have, and I am using a similar one (in part knowing it was successful for you). I have also started a check in journal but will definitely be more of a random poster that regular/weekly.

Izzy
Hi Izzy! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

I read a bit of your check in, and my prayers are with your MIL in her treatment and recovery. It sounds like things are in more of a regular schedule for you and her? Prayers for everyone, and her continued improvement. :)

The NoS mod I have been successfully using to reach and surpass/maintain my goals can work with ANY type of food, in ANY type of situation. I say this to reassure you, and to let you know that when life throws a curveball at you, don't be afraid to grab a Stouffer's frozen dinner when you don't have time (or don't want) to cook something homemade or from scratch.

Many nights when I've had to work overtime, my family's meals have been heat-ups from refrigerated or frozen dinners. Hormel makes some delicious meat-based main courses (chicken with gravy, turkey with gravy, beef tips, pork, etc.) that take less than a half hour to heat in the oven. Stouffer's has a wonderful new line called "Fit Kitchen" that emphasizes high protein, and the meals can be heated in the microwave and are very delicious and satisfying. Marie Callendar's, On-Cor, Healthy Choice--you name it, there are plenty of options available for hearty meals. It is easy to track the calorie content since the packaging has it right there.

^^This is how I got to 15-16% body fat. Not by eating organic, lots of fruits and veggies, homemade meals, etc.--but in part by eating store-bought, processed, pre-packaged food. And I'm ****gasp**** actually healthy! :o Never let anyone tell you that in order to lose weight/fat, reach your goals, or succeed, you need to learn to "eat better," "eat healthier," "avoid processed food," etc. You don't. Calories are king, and how you reduce them is TOTALLY up to you, your preferences, and your individual biology.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, any time--I'm happy to help! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Sinnie--I have lots of advice for you, some of which may surprise you! :) I have some appointments this morning, but I promise when I get back, I will answer all your questions in detail, with real-life examples. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Izzy

Post by Izzy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Thank you Life, for your long reply! I do like Fit Kitchen! I've tried them a couple times, and also a fan of certain heat and eat meals too.

Yes, there is some regularity to my MIL care, large family taking turns being caregivers is less stress for all of us.
Izzy

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Izzy -- You're very welcome! :) And I hear you on taking caregiving turns--we've experienced that, and you are 100% correct about the stress level. Best wishes, and continued prayers for all in your family! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Okay, Sinnie, here goes! :)

Sinnie wrote:All comments above resonate with me. I really want to do this, but being a calorie counter has gotten me used to eating whatever I want, whenever I want, kind of like intuitive eating.

Sinnie, there is absolutely nothing wrong with counting calories. Does this shock or surprise you? Remember, weight/fat loss is ALL ABOUT REDUCING CALORIES. There is no getting around it. The more calorically aware you are, the better. Being aware of the calories you eat is a good thing, and you shouldn't blindly shove the knowledge aside or try to ignore it. Reducing calories is the KEY to weight/fat loss, so being aware of the calories in the food you eat is wonderful! Don't regret it. :)

And there also is absolutely nothing wrong with Intuitive Eating (IE). I think IE has really gotten a bad rap. I mean, honestly, unless you have a life-threatening medical condition, all food should be okay/legal for you to eat, at any time. There is nothing evil about sugar, carbs, fat, or protein. All food should be enjoyed. But any diet plan--including NoS, Intuitive Eating, Carb Addicts, etc.--ultimately has you eating less calories in order to lose weight. With IE, depending on your food preferences, that will mean eating less volume of calorically dense foods, but not eliminating them entirely. IE's problems come from people taking the "Eat whatever I want" to extremes by wolfing down tremendous quantities of high-calorie food, then wondering why their weight soars.

So when I feel hunger or snacky, I just totally don't care at that moment and decide this doesn't work for me, I'm better off counting calories and getting to snack when I need it etc.
Sinnie, try to get out of the "fail" or "doesn't work" mindset when it comes to eating. I'll explain later what I mean, but your eating shouldn't be judged. Just use your innate intelligence and common sense to make adjustments based on how much you eat, and you will succeed at weight/fat loss.

Any great tips for when your mood is just sour/you're hungry/overwhelmed etc? What do you do if you are just exhausted and realllly want a snack to help you unwind, knowing you could technically just "make up for it later"?

So many thanks!!!!!
You know what you do? Eat now, and adjust/"make up for it" later! It's really as simple as that. It goes against all the pearl-clutching advice on the Internet from diet/food gurus, but it works for me, and I'm right where I want to be weight and body fat-wise. To illustrate, I'll give you an example from one of my days in the recent past:

I came home from a rather intense day a little after lunch, felt exactly as you described above, and really just wanted to lay into some food. And I did! I had some cinnamon toast with butter, some panettone with butter (from Christmas), some nuts, some candy, and some cookies. When I finally ate my fill, I didn't consider it a "binge," "Red Day," "fail," or any other judgmental term. What I DID do was intelligently look at the amount of food I ate, and decided that it was enough to count for my lunch and dinner for the day. Simple. When dinner came, I skipped it. No harm done, and the food I ate all at once easily became my second two meals of the day. I then made sure to weigh myself daily to make adjustments if needed the next few days to get the weight/fat back down.

Honestly, Sinnie, it's that easy. I wouldn't say it worked if I hadn't utilized this strategy. And I wouldn't say it worked if I was still struggling with losing fat/weight.

^^This is how I stay slim, on plan, and continue to maintain and improve. Be flexible, be intelligent, make adjustments when needed, and weigh yourself daily, if your main goal is weight/fat loss. You will succeed! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Life, you are awesome 8) Really, you are. You have figured out your own path, and you just DO IT. It doesn't matter if it's a popular path or not, because it works for you. I also love your clear, no-nonsense, this is how it is attitude, because no matter what spin we put on it, there is ONLY ONE ANSWER. I suppose it just matters what each individual needs to mentally get oneself there.

Anyways, I have always had a very similar mindset, hence the whole counting calories thing. I just don't have your willpower :lol: For me, it does the opposite of what it does to most people -- it instills a sense of peace and natural balancing. I can actually use it as a guide without getting hardcore, obsessive or anything. But as with any eating pattern of mine, I use food to relax, and still have not figured out a way around it when I've been going 12 hours straight with babies and willpower is not on my mind. Which is when I start to go "hey, maybe i should do No S again, then ill be in the habit". But it's never worked that way. I always, always did No S "half-essed".

You re-energized me to do what works for me. Thank you!!!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Popping in to say hello! I'm following your thread with great interest. A few years ago, when I was at my lowest adult weight, I was using a pretty similar mod, and it really worked... for some time. I'm thinking of getting back to that - putting ANYTHING on my meal plates after my little girl is born: partly because I may not be able to eat a full meal in one sitting, and virtual plating/snacking could be necessary, and partly because I know how sleep deprivation makes me reach for sweets - and how drowsiness really does subside when I allow myself to pair protein-based meal with some coffeine and sugar.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Sinnie -- Thank you so much! :) Doing what works for you is what finding a lifetime eating plan is all about. Please feel free to stop by anytime, or PM if you need any advice--I'm happy to help. :)

Imogen -- Hello back! :) Glad to hear you're almost ready for little baby girl to arrive--truly what a blessing for you! <3 I really vouch for my eating method during stressful times; it is so workable and forgiving with what may be going on during your day. And you know your mod worked for you in the past, so it is a fantastic idea to give it a go once again. I remember very well how it is right after bringing a newborn home, so it's great to have something in place so you're not scrambling with all the other responsibilities you'll be dealing with. Please feel free to ask me any questions, or PM if you'd like to. And best wishes and many blessings for you and your family!!! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:30 am

Thank you Life! I really appreciate that. On a side note, thank you for posting that link on another thread. I really commend you for showcasing your viewpoint in a civil and respectful manner.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Sinnie, bless you for your kind words--they mean a lot! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Blessing- I just love this thread! I am definitely a protein girl! I cannot eat sweet treats early in the day. It's usually a disaster. Self-knowledge is important!

I'm sure I'll be back with questions! I like your thread about daily weighing. I think I am always more true to myself when I weigh regularly.

Did you always approach No S from the 3 meals, 7 days a week or did you do Vanilla (sorry if you answered elsewhere)?

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi tracey, and thanks for stopping by! :) Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like--I'm happy to help! :)

I tried Vanilla NoS in the past a few times with little success, mostly due to the lifted restrictions on the weekends turning into "Gotta get those treats in now before Monday rolls around again!" That would undo all the hard work I'd put in during the week, and I was "Groundhog Day"-ing it over and over and over again, with no progress in weight/fat loss.

Last year, I decided that the key to making NoS work for me was to keep to the three meals a day, every day of the week, but NOT restricting sweets at any time. That proved to be the trick! I met my weight/fat loss goals in about two months, and have progressed even further beyond those goals ever since. It really works for me, and I will NEVER go back to how I ate before. Seeing the results I've gotten from following my modified form of NoS keeps me on track. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 pm

I am grateful for this mod!!! It has eased my mind so so much!
Question: do you "virtual plate" ever?, I can get my lunch and breakfast sat down and plated, but at dinner, it's a bit hectic feeding kids and finishing homework and I find myself picking around a bit more and standing/eating. Yesterday, I set aside a couple treats and allowed those. No more no less, but stuck to three meals. Do you allow yourself treats at any time during the day or just with a meal? Thanks!!!
Liz

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks Blessing!!! I truly appreciate this! have a great evening!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 am

tracey0829 - You're very welcome! Stop by any time! :)

Liz - So glad the mod is working for you--isn't it freeing? :) And, oh yes, I remember those days very well with the kids home and homework abounding lol! And yes, I do virtual plate. Of course, ideally, you're sitting down to three, plated, calm (!!!!!!!!!!!) meals a day. Getting back to reality, virtual plating got me through many unexpected moments, and I still use the strategy now. Some days, I will find that if I go over a physical plate of food at a given mealtime, I will virtual plate and decide if I should skip the next meal. A few times over the last month, I had a larger lunch than normal, and decided that the extra food = dinner's plate, so I did not eat my usual dinner for the day. I stayed the course, and didn't gain. :) If you're busy with homework and organizing the kids, don't worry about not being able to sit down to eat dinner. Just eat the amount you normally would, and you should be fine. Regarding treats, again, I will ideally have them with a meal. But if you're out somewhere and something really looks good, just "make room" for having the treat at the next meal. Either eat a little less of the main meal, or skip the treat you'd usually have with the meal since you ate one earlier.

Remember that the whole point is to fit the eating plan into YOUR life, not the other way around. The more burdensome and life-interrupting a diet is, the less likely you are to stick to it over the long haul. You're making it work for you, and that's the key! :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Apprentice1981

Body fat %

Post by Apprentice1981 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Greetings Life! I am so glad I reached out to you last week. I realized that I slowly drifted to eating foods that are "good" for me. I understand now why I was having bingy thoughts that eventually took over and became actions. I am back on track, enjoying my faves in moderation! My weight this morning was 117.4. Back to where I was before binging last week.
By looking in the mirror I still see areas where there is still plenty of visible fat left, mainly on my thighs. I am not happy with the way they look. How did you decide to settle at your current weight? Was it by achieving certain body fat % or just by looking in the mirror and being satisfied with what you saw? Also, I noticed you posted your body fat %. How do you calculate that?
Again, than you so much for sharing your wisdom!