Flunked my first N day!!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JUDA

Flunked my first N day!!

Post by JUDA » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:31 am

You'd think given the enthusissm I have for No S Day 1 would be a breeze. No! It was not! Your belly thinks your throat is cut when it doesn't get what it is used. Ahhh but I have taken a big lesson from failing on day 1. Incorporate what is technically a sweet and a snack into the 1 plate 1 meal concept. By sweet I mean ricotta and berries with stevia. By snack I mean cheese and biscuits. Not excessively huge portions but eaten at times after the meal was finished.
Breakfast and lunch aren't where my challenges lie. It is after 5pm where the mindless eating kicks in.
So for day 2's dinner a small plate for the main, a small bowl for the fruit & ricotta and a couple of biscuits and blue cheese at meal time. Yum!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 am

Yep make sure you include all that stuff you're craving between meals on your plate during meals. If you know you can have what you're craving in just a couple hours, it makes it much easier to stick with NoS.

My plates were piled very high in the beginning but they have gotten much smaller over time.

Best of luck tomorrow. Sounds like Jim have a good game plan.

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

bunsofaluminum

Re: Flunked my first N day!!

Post by bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:12 am

JUDA wrote:You'd think given the enthusissm I have for No S Day 1 would be a breeze. No! It was not! Your belly thinks your throat is cut when it doesn't get what it is used. Ahhh but I have taken a big lesson from failing on day 1. Incorporate what is technically a sweet and a snack into the 1 plate 1 meal concept. By sweet I mean ricotta and berries with stevia. By snack I mean cheese and biscuits. Not excessively huge portions but eaten at times after the meal was finished.
Breakfast and lunch aren't where my challenges lie. It is after 5pm where the mindless eating kicks in.
So for day 2's dinner a small plate for the main, a small bowl for the fruit & ricotta and a couple of biscuits and blue cheese at meal time. Yum!
that is exactly what you do. Eat whatever you want, including snackish foods, on your plate. My first few weeks, I heaped my plates for every meal, because...well, because I feared my appetite. Now, even though it still does occasionally act up, it generally doesn't bother me.

And, months into it, when I try to eat a smaller meal, THOSE are the days my between meal appetite rears up. So...eat enough at meals! :)

JUDA

Flunked my first N day!!

Post by JUDA » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 am

Thank you Ipearlmum and bunsofaluminium.