The Journey of Tobias and Mom

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobiasmom

The Journey of Tobias and Mom

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey, all. It’s Tobiasmom. I’ve been on these boards off and on for years. I’m the ultimate yo-yo, always chasing the crazy diets that I just never ever stick with. My son, Tobias, is almost 12, and we just found out yesterday that he needs to lose about 35-40 pounds. I decided that No-S is the most sane, normal way to slow permanent weight loss. So mom and son are in this thing together now. I fear I have messed up my kid with all my crazy dieting so I just want to support him and teach us both a normal healthy relationship with food!

We weighed in today for a start.
Tobias: 127.2 (57 inches tall)
Mom: 232.2 (5’2)

Onward!!
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 11 and 6
Committed to No-S, period!

automatedeating

Re: The Journey of Tobias and Mom

Post by automatedeating » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Hey there! Always lovely to see you on the boards! My boys are 13 and 10 now. They eat the worst crap imaginable and they are still skinny. Genetics!

For an overweight child, I highly recommend having him get a fasting insulin test. In all likelihood, he is overweight because his metabolism is not carb-tolerant like the skinny kids that can get away with eating whatever they want. I am convinced that weight in childhood is genetic - yes, our environments REVEAL the metabolic differences (in other words, 100 years ago he wouldn't have had access to processed foods and so wouldn't have gotten overweight), but it's our genetics that decide if our body type gets to be skinny or not in the presence of refined carbohydrates. But our world is what it is, and it will be good for him to learn his carb tolerances now and not when he's 30 and more damage has been done. Even if it's not fair.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

tobiasmom

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Hey, Auto! They did do a metabolic blood panel yesterday so we will see what that says. He is a huge carb lover like mom! Ha. I’m not focusing on the weight even though it looks like it from my post. Mostly I just want to help him build a less obsessive view of food because he really is completely food minded at all times! 😜
Military wife and homeschool mom of two boys, 11 and 6
Committed to No-S, period!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:12 am

Good luck to you both :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.