Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sideways drift from urban ranger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Sideways drift from urban ranger? Reply with quote

Not sure whether this should be in here or the Urban Ranger section, but here goes.

Goal: I'd also like to drive less and walk more. I live too far away to walk (15 miles away on a high traffic highway) but I can do better...

Current test: Farparking

Explanation: I do like to walk - in fact, I do a decent job of getting out at work and walking at home with my family. However, I fall on the near side of the parking equation - not the closest spot to whereever I am going, but usually the closest convenient spot. I don't like that, and I want to change.

Farparking means I park farther away than is absolutely necessary.

Parking further away is a stretch, especially if I am on a mission to shop and leave. On days like that one stall further away is a success. I probably get more out of the one stall away days because it requires some discipline to move that far away. Weird, isn't it? The more I do those types, the more I am like "wow, am I THAT fickle?" and I am shamed a little into doing it again.

I define it this way because I can work from home, and I also commute in to work. I don't count these as farparks because I am not walking more, just driving less. Having both halfs of the goal make it so I am not off the hook just because I didn't drive.

Thoughts are welcome!
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another mod: on nights and weekends, I semi-sprint when I'm running errands, to the door of the store and back, parking as far away as possible.

It makes you feel great after a few days.
idontknow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do the parking far away mod but I don't email people at work - I go and find them. I don't phone first to check if they are there - I just go back later. I also run up and down all stairs (when it's not busy!).
ericb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Great Ideas! Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Here's another mod: on nights and weekends, I semi-sprint when I'm running errands, to the door of the store and back, parking as far away as possible.

It makes you feel great after a few days.

Wow, I am not sure I could do this with kids in tow - wait, what do they do all of the time? "Dad, hurry up!" Great suggestion for the weekend!

idon'tknow wrote:
I don't do the parking far away mod but I don't email people at work - I go and find them. I don't phone first to check if they are there - I just go back later. I also run up and down all stairs (when it's not busy!).

This is also a great idea. I only do this when I am fidgety. In our company this might go over well if I ping people first. Great idea as well....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: