Question for successful No-Sers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmelo

Question for successful No-Sers

Post by vmelo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:41 pm

I've seen the testimonials, and they're great. However, I'm a person who needs examples to really get the point. So, I was wondering if some of you who have been successful on No-S (i.e., you've lost a good deal of weight) could post some specifics. What I'm mainly looking for is as follows:

1) What does your typical No-S day's menu look like?

2) What does your typical S menu look like?

3) How many times, on average, do you think you deviated from the plan per month?

4) How much weight did you lose (have you lost)?

Of course, if you could share your gender, age, and exercise program, that would also be illuminating.

I know those are a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to get some idea of the secrets to success for those who have lost all the weight they want to lose (or almost all). It seems as if some people here lose consistently every week while others lose super slowly (e.g., a pound a month). I know part of that is just luck of the draw, but I'm wondering if some of it has to do with differences No-S & S days, deviations from the program, exercise routine, etc..

Thanks!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:33 pm

For what use it may be:

1) Taking yesterday as an N-day example (as I haven't had dinner yet today), my three meals were, as is fairly typical:
Breakfast: cereal
Lunch: orange juice, sandwiches; one round cheese, lettuce and pickle, one round egg and lettuce, followed by an apple
Dinner: tuna pasta bake with tomato and vegetable sauce
Add in five cups of tea (with milk), a coffee (black and bitter, as it should be), two beers and about three pints of water over the course of the day.

2) My last S-day was Sunday, whereupon I consumed:
Breakfast: I woke up too late to bother
Lunch: an assortment of cheese and biscuits and an apple
Dinner: beef goulash with buttered crusty bread broccoli
Snack: salt popcorn whilst watching a film
Add a quantity of wine, juice and more tea than most people drink in a week.

3) About twice, probably, but I generally don't take S-days and when I do its usually a small snack at some point. I tend to designate 'failures' as S-days after the fact and therefore total about six S-days a month, including weekends.

4) I don't know; I don't own any scales. I have lost about two inches around the waist, though.

I'm male, 28 (5'9", about 150lbs when I last checked, though that was quite a while ago) and my exercise routine involves kung fu twice a week for about two hours, bodyweight resistance exercises twice to three times a week and running (about two miles at the moment, working up to five in the short term) twice to three times a week, depending how much time I have. I'm fairly active in general as I bore easily.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:10 pm

In my case:

1) This is what I ate yesterday

Breakfast: cereal with whole milk

Lunch: meat with rice and broccoli with other local vegetables

Dinner: Cuban food ("picadillo") => ground beef with yuca (manioc), rice and beans. And a beer.

2) From my last sunday (if my memory doesn't fail...)

Breakfast: egg mcmuffin

Lunch: chinese beef rice (one plate)

Dinner: chicken with cheese sandwich (at a local fast food restaurant)

snack (at the movies, for Batman): one bag of popcorn

3) Around 2-3 times. Sometimes I may deviate one or more days, but I don't stress about it, usually it is only one sweet or snack because of work/social/time pressure. Nothing to worry about.

4) Last year in four or so months I managed to lose 20-25 pounds, though I think I was doing lots of exercise and reducing my plates size. I gained back some weight and now I'm mantaining. I don't care anymore about the weight, I only measure by looking myself at the mirror or similar etc.

Male. 25. Exercise: shovelglove + jump rope (or sometimes walking)

rose

Post by rose » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:47 am

I digged up my old threads... in chonological order:

6 months and 15 months:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2184

more recent:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3409

Please note: it may look like I spent a lot of time doing exercise (well, not as much as some other board members but still) especially during the first year, but you have to keep in mind that I have a _very_ sedentary city life and also that I was overweight and still have bad knees, so whatever exercise I did/still do is low impact and not at all strenuous.

As to deviations from the plan, I overate on N-days - at least once a week or more (technically not seconds but bad portions evaluation) during both winters. I also had a few bad binges on some Fridays, perhaps 4 to 6 in my first year. But usually, as long as life follows the usual routines, sticking to NoS has been effortless past the first two months. (not keeping sweets or snack food at home during the week helps!)

Regarding lost weight: see my signature. I've lost another 2-3 lbs in the past 3 months... since I am both exercising less and approaching the middle of the normal weight range, weight loss is slower now.

I forgot: 33, female.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks to all who have posted (and to those who have not posted, keep it comin'!). Congratulations to you all on your success!

I know that everyone has to devise their own way of handling their eating, but looking at what you've done helps me to get an idea of what I should be doing. Thanks!

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Yeah, I like this thread. I find examples like these really helpful.