All action no talk...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

All action no talk...

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi everyone, I think this will have to be my new way of approaching my goal of staying on habit, and also achieving my ultimate weight loss target.
It seems whenever I am on a roll, I get really excited.. and then I post something about how well I'm doing..
Almost inevitably, thereafter, I lose my drive to keep going and start to slack. I really don't understand this phenomenon, but it's very consistent.

I had three great weeks this month, and then as soon as I posted on the September challenge, that things were going well, I had a complete about face with my daily exercise and a few failures on NoS as well.
I'm sure there may be other factors here, but I'm going with my gut reaction to this pattern and, with some regret, I'm sorry to say I'm probably not going to post much in the way of my progress on the boards anymore, till I've gotten to a really major landmark, however long that takes.

I'll still be lurking about and continuing to mark my progress on HabitCal, if anyone cares to check on that.
Please don't take it personally, you all know I *love* this group!!
I've just simply gotta put my blinders on and not let myself get sidetracked or distracted or self sabotaged in any way.

Just to say, I did actually lose about 6 pounds this month as of last week, but for all I know, I may have gained back a few already since I had a not too great week following that.

So for me from here on out, till I've lost all the weight I really want to lose, I'm not going to post progress, or talk about it..
Just gonna do it!!

Good luck to all here and have a great rest of the week!

8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Kevin

Re: All action no talk...

Post by Kevin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Well, they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, so perhaps you are on to something...

I wish you great success. I know you've been at this for some time, and I know you struggle. Good luck, Deb.
gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hi everyone, I think this will have to be my new way of approaching my goal of staying on habit, and also achieving my ultimate weight loss target.
It seems whenever I am on a roll, I get really excited.. and then I post something about how well I'm doing..
Almost inevitably, thereafter, I lose my drive to keep going and start to slack. I really don't understand this phenomenon, but it's very consistent.

I had three great weeks this month, and then as soon as I posted on the September challenge, that things were going well, I had a complete about face with my daily exercise and a few failures on NoS as well.
I'm sure there may be other factors here, but I'm going with my gut reaction to this pattern and, with some regret, I'm sorry to say I'm probably not going to post much in the way of my progress on the boards anymore, till I've gotten to a really major landmark, however long that takes.

I'll still be lurking about and continuing to mark my progress on HabitCal, if anyone cares to check on that.
Please don't take it personally, you all know I *love* this group!!
I've just simply gotta put my blinders on and not let myself get sidetracked or distracted or self sabotaged in any way.

Just to say, I did actually lose about 6 pounds this month as of last week, but for all I know, I may have gained back a few already since I had a not too great week following that.

So for me from here on out, till I've lost all the weight I really want to lose, I'm not going to post progress, or talk about it..
Just gonna do it!!

Good luck to all here and have a great rest of the week!

8) Debs x
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks Kevin!! Are you the same Kevin from the old boards back when I joined up???
Hope you are well!

Yes, I just need to focus and stay focused, because when I am, I get the job done.

Best to you as well!!
8) Debs

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:31 pm

I certainly understand what you are experiencing.

Best wishes to you, Deb, and much success!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:36 pm

I totally understand, Deb! I don't post often, yet last week I posted that I had 7 weeks of compliance--then followed it with 3 red days! why, God, Why?!?! oh, well. mark it and move on! good job on your compliance, though. it's that much easier to get back on. you know that!
Carrie

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm

maslowjenkins wrote:I totally understand, Deb! I don't post often, yet last week I posted that I had 7 weeks of compliance--then followed it with 3 red days! why, God, Why?!?! oh, well. mark it and move on! good job on your compliance, though. it's that much easier to get back on. you know that!
So, 3 red days after 49 days of compliance? No big deal. It's not what you do now and then that matters, it's what you do day in and day out.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:25 pm

That's me. :) I took off 30 pounds and put it all right back on 'cause I was slackin'.
Kevin

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Thank you Jan and Carrie!!!
Kevin, 30 lbs is easy to gain over time.
Wishing you the best in reestablishing good habits of "non slacking"!! :wink:

Have a great week guys!!
8) Debs x

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:27 am

I'm always thinking, "S could also stand for..."

Maybe 'S' could also stand for 'slacking'. No-Slacking if you want to lose weight! :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am

I just joined this group two weeks ago - and I'm thinking already thinking I need to be here less. I got the basics down - not like it was that complicated ;) - and I just need to 'live it' and especially not 'overthink' it.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:14 am

Well I'll still be "around" somewhat Dandelion, but mostly to use HabitCal.. I'm just not going to post updates on my own progress because somehow it's a distraction to me and as soon as I do it, I inevitably lose my focus.. I really want to stay focused as long as possible!!!!
Thanks for all your support!!
8) Debs x

Too solid flesh

All action no talk...

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am

Good luck, Debs.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:26 am

Debs, I have had the same problem in the past. I have been on the downward slide again and I have decided I will post monthly (along with my weigh in) and keep up with the general boards.

Good Luck & Hugs
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Mo and (not very) "Solid" :wink:
You know, isn't it awesome that people who were here, took a break, needed to get back on track, love NoS so much that they just come back here rather than go to some other "diet"...
A real testament to the long term appeal of this plan and great community!!
Have a great day guys!

8) Debs

~reneew

Re: All action no talk...

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:It seems whenever I am on a roll, I get really excited.. and then I post something about how well I'm doing..
Oh I hear ya... but with me it happens more when people start noticing my weight loss. I don't get it either... maybe overconfidence? It's almost like I think that they expect me to loose steadily more and more and I think that the expectation of that alone is too much pressure. I don't know... if you figure it out let me know, because people are noticing and I'm getting nervous.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I got to thinking about this. Sometimes we talk about slacking and stuff.

For me (and I'm not attempting to presume to choose for anyone else) is that I am trying to frame No-S as Just The Way I Live. I don't want to think of it as a diet even if it really is. I want to think of it is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I can't slack from how I LIVE, ya know?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 pm

dear Deb, You need to know how much your posts have helped me.. and I'm sure others! I really take lessons from everyone who posts ups-and-downs. Especially this one from you. None of us is perfect and life is not a TV drama. As I read the replies to your post( and could add my, "yep, been there myself")... I was thinking that it was a wonderful thing that you wrote what was happening so that we could, not only offer support, but see that we are not the only one with this issue. I wish I could tell you the number of times I have gotten close to a weight goal and the ..POOM..off track I go! Why, I'm not sure but, like you, I am working on it! Good luck..stay positive! I will always appreciate your comments on my daily check in!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks Rene Noel and Grammy!!!
Grammy that's so kind of you to say I've been helpful to you thru posting my own experience! I'm really happy to hear that!
Yes Noel, this is a way of life, but I also had a way of life prior to NoS, and sometimes those old ways just like to creep in after a whole lifetime of them.
I don't want to make a big deal about the "slacking" thing really.. I just happened to chose that word to explain what happens, most of the time, when I make announcements about my positive progress.. I get excited, and then all of a sudden, once I've made a statement about either "being on track" or "I lost weight" or "I've been on habit for three weeks" it just almost *always* ends up that the simple act of talking about it, changes my own motivation to keep at it.. It's weird, annoying, and like Kevin suggested, at this point I just want to try something new, not making announcements along the way, and simply apply myself and quietly get the work done.
Love to all and thanks so much for the great support!

8) Debs x

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Deb, I really think there is something to be said for not making too big a deal of this. I'm not sure how to express this thought: I believe that one should live an examined life, but sometimes the examination gets in the way of life, and then it's counterproductive.
gratefuldeb67 wrote:Thanks Rene Noel and Grammy!!!
Grammy that's so kind of you to say I've been helpful to you thru posting my own experience! I'm really happy to hear that!
Yes Noel, this is a way of life, but I also had a way of life prior to NoS, and sometimes those old ways just like to creep in after a whole lifetime of them.
I don't want to make a big deal about the "slacking" thing really.. I just happened to chose that word to explain what happens, most of the time, when I make announcements about my positive progress.. I get excited, and then all of a sudden, once I've made a statement about either "being on track" or "I lost weight" or "I've been on habit for three weeks" it just almost *always* ends up that the simple act of talking about it, changes my own motivation to keep at it.. It's weird, annoying, and like Kevin suggested, at this point I just want to try something new, not making announcements along the way, and simply apply myself and quietly get the work done.
Love to all and thanks so much for the great support!

8) Debs x
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Deb, I was thinking of using the HabitCal, too. I have never been able to figure out why, but doing well is sometimes worse for me than doing badly. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks again Kevin and Dandelion :)
Yes Kevin, your words do really ring true!!
Nicely put.
Have a great weekend guys!
8) Debs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Best of luck, Deb!

We'll miss your updates... but there might be something to what you said about the saying taking away from the doing. It's kind of like "I've had my reward of bragging, now what's the further incentive?" On the other hand, you want to make sure this isn't a form of punishing yourself for a slip up.

In any case, I hope your resolution does not preclude a friendly hello now and then!

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks Reinhard!! No, of course it's not a punishment at all, for the occasional slip ups!! I'm not expecting to be perfect anyway, but I really feel I'll be able to focus on my habits better, if I don't talk as much about them.
It's kind of like, I just want to put my "blinders" on, so to speak, and not distract myself... It's happened enough times that I'm seeing a definite pattern to this and I want to approach it differently now, to outsmart myself maybe, from getting cocky, complacent, I don't know,, (insert adjective here!)
And yes, of course, I'm still hanging around and will continue to be active on the boards in the general discussions etc!

Have a great day!
8) Debs x

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:22 pm

I totally understand what you're going through! I've done that myself too many times. I'll see a lower weight on the scale, get cocky and overeat, and all of a sudden, I'll have re-gained 2 or 3 pounds. If I talk about it less, I'm more likely to stick with it. It sounds like yoiu had a mostly great month, though, so that's good!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks Clarinetgal! :wink:
8) Debs