New to S Diet- Some Questions I need help with

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MovieGuy

New to S Diet- Some Questions I need help with

Post by MovieGuy » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 am

Greetings! I am new to S diet, have read the book three times, and still have some concerns. I want to do this diet right, and have been struggling with yo-yo dieting for a long time. I will give you some basic information:

Height: 5'11
Weight: 260

Typical Eating habits:

BREAKFAST: Granola Bar
LUNCH: Sandwich, apple
DINNER: Binge city- BBQ wings with fries plus pop and dessert/or Spaghetti, ground beef, sauce, salad, bread + dessert/ anything pizza related.

As you can see every day I wake up and try to eat little to nothing to lose weight, and then binge on the night clock- I am a night eater, always will be.

QUESTION ONE: How do I handle Social gatherings right?

The main problem doing this diet for me is that I don't cook a lot. I notice a lot of people on here post things like "For lunch I'm having 1/3 teaspoon this mixed with a half tuna sandwich on Rye, etc." I don't do this. I'm no cook. Despite making spaghetti, normally I eat out or go to Thai restaurants. How can I handle N days then? And lose weight? The objective here, for me at least, is to keep eating what I want and lose weight. Social gatherings are hard. Many diet books assume people sit at home eating 3 square meals a day. Not the case, especially with busy night life in Chicago. I work at a popular Museum as a Tour Guide, and every other day its someone's birthday, someone is leaving, got promoted, etc. People like to go to bars, drink, have fun. Its hard to resist these things. And after I drink forget it. Dehydration kicks in and all I want is salt and lots of frozen dinners. Truly bad. How do I handle this? Virtual plating sounds fine, but in general- how does a Restaurant junkie like me get through N days?

QUESTION TWO: On S days Can I really just binge all day?

I know Reinhard says he wants your habits to follow through into the weekends, but that's not going to happen with me. I like eating food- always have. On weekends If I want to sleep till noon and then order in Domino's and eat the whole box, shouldn't that be okay to do on an S day? Because otherwise I feel that this diet is just to help you "eventually not binge or eat badly". But I thought S days WERE supposed to be days you could just eat what ever, when ever. I don't want to follow the 3 plate rule on S days. I may want to have a bag of chips here, go drinking at 6pm and order in take out, and then have an ice cream bash. It varies. Is the point of S days to get out of that? Because I know myself- If I'm allowed to eat what I want on S Days, I will- I'm not going to hold back and just have a "little treat for dessert". You know what I mean?

These are the only two big questions I have for now. Thanks for all the advice in advance, I know I wrote a lot![/b]
Food & me have a very love/hate relationship. I hate that I love to eat so much of it- thank you!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm

The first thing that came to mind when I read your questions is: "Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always got. If you want something different, you've got to do something different." In order to lose weight you're going to have to make some changes in what and how you eat. That's the bottom line.

This is No-S: No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except (sometimes) on days that start with "S".. That means no desserts on weekdays, no snacks on weekdays, no seconds on weekdays.

You can't treat everyone's retirement, birthday or promotion as cause for you to celebrate with excess food and drinking. You're either going to have to learn to resist some of these things or just eat less of them on a daily basis. You're treating every day like an S day! Practically, when you're at a restaurant eat half of what you're served. In your case, I'd recommend leaving the rest.

S days were never meant to be days to binge, at least not regularly. You can throw caution to the wind on national or religious holidays, but not every weekend all the time. S days are meant to be a time to relax a little, not to go crazy.

I like food, too, and I truly enjoy eating. But I can't eat copious amounts daily and expect to lose weight -- or even not to gain weight.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Sat May 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Welcome! I'll try to answer your questions, but first off:
YOU DO NOT EAT ENOUGH FOOD DURING THE DAY WHICH IS WHY YOU BINGE IN THE EVENINGS!!!

Your breakfast: If you read the ingredients of your granola bar you'll see that it's mostly sugar. Granola bars are a SWEET!
How about some scrambled eggs, a fried tomato and some whole wheat toast? Very easy and fast to make. Put a little peanutbutter on your toast. This will make you feel full longer.

Your lunch: Sandwich is good as long as it's healthy stuff between the bread. Try putting some foliage on your sandwich. Apple is great!

Your dinner: Force yourself to make it! Restaurant food is a nutritional disaster. It's o.k. to eat out once in a while, but not every day!
Eat a lot of veggies-they're healthy, fill you up and they're low cal.

S days are considered a safety valve. Have you read the part don't be an idiot? All of us binged on S days when we started. Believe it or not, the desire for a whole cake or a whole pack of cookies or mega amounts of junk does slowly go away. So the answer is no. In the long run you can't just binge all day.

Social occaisions: Sounds like a great work place! But-you can't binge on all the goodies every day! You can drink coffee, or tea. Nobody says you have to gobble like a turkey!
When you are out on the town, is it really neccessary do have a lot of drinks? Beverages are allowed. How about a Virgin Mary? Or club soda with a spritz of lemon?

Remember-the whole point of No S is three meals a day with real food. restaurant and junk is NOT real food. Nowhere does it state that this is a starvation diet. What you're eating during the day IS a starvation diet. It's no wonder that you binge at restaurants in the evenings!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy » Sat May 08, 2010 2:45 pm

While Restaurant & Junk food may not be "real" food, they are allowed on the S Diet. It states "No Sweets, seconds or Snacks". The last time I checked, a healthy granola bar (which I get) were none of those. The last time I checked, Thai food with rice and chicken were none of those. So technically, a burger with fries- as long as it fits on the plate- is perfectly fine. I'm not getting snippy, but I do want you all to know that I'm prepared to follow the rules as stated, not make them up as I go along, or make exceptions as some of you are doing already with me (eg "You can go out sometimes, but not all the time", "No, can't binge on S Days"). That's wrong. Because You CAN binge on S Days- it says you can eat what ever you want. S Days should be S days so N days aren't, right? I CAN go out when ever I want, as long as I stick to the rules. Adding your own rules as you're doing is just making it more frustrating and will cause more reasons to just quit.
Food & me have a very love/hate relationship. I hate that I love to eat so much of it- thank you!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm not a "real" food person.
I've no objection to eating processed food or food-like substances.

Restaurant food simply contains an extremely high percentage of fat, and is therefore, very high-calorie.
(For more detailed info about this,
you might want to read the recently published book: "The End of Overeating")

If you have read Reinhard's book, "The NoS diet", or listened to his podcasts,
you can see that the No S diet, is simply another way to control calorie intake,
without counting calories.
Instead of monitering calories, you moniter the times and amounts you eat,
with the only week-day food restriction being all "sweets".
However, whether or not you actually count calories...
they still matter.

If, on S days, you consistently eat in a manner that Reinhard terms, as an IDIOT,
your weekly calorie average will be too large for you to lose weight,
or....perhaps...even too large to maintain your current weight.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat May 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi MovieGuy - even a simple diet like No S has rules, and there's no point getting mad at us about it - you are free to give them a try or not.

Maybe it will be easier than you think? And if it isn't, you can get lots of support on this forum as you go along.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Graham

Clarica

Re: New to S Diet- Some Questions I need help with

Post by Clarica » Sat May 08, 2010 3:35 pm

MovieGuy wrote:As you can see every day I wake up and try to eat little to nothing to lose weight, and then binge on the night clock- I am a night eater, always will be.
Sorry for skipping the questions you actually asked, your two statements together may be more trouble for following no s than social gatherings and s days. They may be things you've already answered yourself, and just didn't mention, but I am compelled, so please forgive me if I read too much into this. :)

The attitude of "always will be" is defeatist. I don't know if it was a passing statement, and your mental landscape is actually more like, "always have been, but I am learning new habits now." just something to think on.

And the other thing is that a friend of mine noticed over the course of several months on ww, that if she didn't eat a substantial breakfast, she'd overeat in the evening. I don't know if you're eating several times in an evening, or a lot all at once, but it's hard to switch from grazing to eating once at night, and it might be easier if you pre-plan something else to do when you feel like eating. either something that uses your hands, satisfies your mouth urge (like tea), or gets you away from food opportunities (like a walk).

Best of luck!

OT

Post by OT » Sat May 08, 2010 4:10 pm

"otherwise I feel that this diet is just to help you "eventually not binge or eat badly"

Well of course it is! No S is not a diet-it's a lifestyle.It's designed to help you develop good eating habits and change your life for the better. But you have to be willing to change your attitude.Do you honestly believe that binge eating is healthy??It sounds to me like you want to get results without commiting to making a lifestyle change. Your "always have been,always will be" attitude really won't help you. If you want results you have to put in some work.

No S is not magic. As Bright Angel said, No S is just a sensible means of controlling your calorie intake without having to actually count calories.But you still have to use a little common sense.Weight loss comes down to simple thermodynamics-if you want to lose weight you have to create a calorie deficit. This won't happen if you gorge on pizza and beer every night!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:40 pm

There are some long posts here; I admit I didn't read them all through. I was just bursting to jump in. I may be repeating what you've heard.

Don't judge how your body will react. Experience it.

Reinhard says to give the program 3 weeks of strict adherence. I say give 6. If you have to deviate , say, for YOUR birthday, have one piece of cake with ice cream or the equivalent. No other exceptions.

I'm sorry but if you read the book, I don't see how you thought S days were about bingeing all day long. And if you read some previous posts, you'll see that some people do that, but it is not exactly the intent. It is to give you a chance to see what you really want to eat and when. I think you will find that you will actually feel torn about "wanting" to eat a bag of chips, not from a moral standpoint, or that you know you "shouldn't" but because you know it's not going to feel very good later. But you can't experience something like that without a few weeks of N days, or maybe a few months, depending on where your head is at.

If you still want to try this, commit to N days. If you want to start with your regular breakfast and lunch, go ahead, but just one plate at dinner. I think after awhile, you'll find that you do want breakfast...and lunch!

I thought I was mostly a night eater. And I was. It was a HABIT, not a personal trait. I don't deny that people can have certain eating rhythms. But you don't know what they really are when you are continually eating too little and then too much.

Hope you're not offended. This is a great bunch and we've got people following all kinds of their own food choice plans, but within the No S parameters, for the most part. Get your N days in and stick around!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun May 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I think it's always been understood and even explicitly stated on the boards and in the book that S Days are NOT an excuse to do an all-day binge. Sure, there are times you're going to eat a lot, like on holidays, but a normal Saturday is not really an excuse to take to bed and eat whole pizzas and boxes of cookies. Even if it were allowed (and it's really, really not encouraged) why would you want to treat your body like that? As someone else already pointed out, No S IS designed to help you change your lifestyle and reduce binge behavior; simply planning on stuffing yourself silly every weekend will doom you to failure from the get go.

"But it's technically allowed!" you say. Well, that's debatable, but it's also true that, for most people, common sense should prevail. I think most people don't have to be told that eating gallons of ice cream or something a day on your S Days will not help you to lose weight. It won't help you to learn new eating habits, or to keep weight off. Sure, normal people like to party on the weekend, and have a few snacks and some beers or something. I like to do that, too. But normal people don't plan on bingeing, or eating whole pizzas, just because they can.

No S is indeed designed to help you eat less and eat better; it's not magic, and if you try what you seem to be trying (more or less eating the same way you already are) I don't think you'll be cutting your calories enough to make any difference, and you won't be learning any new habits. You seem confrontational and almost angry in your postings, and I am not sure why you're trying No S if you've already made up your mind that you won't be able to make it work. However, most of us on the board also have busy lives, jobs, friends, and the same issues you do, and we somehow manage to make it work. Losing weight isn't easy, and does require some hard work and a little common sense. I don't think having a glass or two of wine a night on N Days is going to hurt you, but if you snack on restaurant goodies and drink to excess on N days, you're not going to get the kind of results you're looking for.

If you haven't already, read the book and listen to some of the Podcasts. The issue of out of control weekend binging is addressed, and ways to control it are discussed.

MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy » Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 pm

I sound angry in my posts? I wasn't trying to be that way, but okay.

I think many of you are missing the point of S days. On N days you follow the rules. On S days you can eat what you want. It never says one time that you have to still limit what you eat on S Days. If YOU'RE limiting what you're eating, then that's YOUR business. But technically, again, S days are the days I can eat what I want, and not worry about the no snacking or no seconds rules. In fact, people that try to do the whole "I'll just treat myself a little on S days, but forbid myself to indulge all the way" are actually depriving themselves from eating as they are allowed to, and then the forbidden food becomes more desirable and binge pursues.

I am not coming on here to start drama or have an attitude, so please stop attacking me. I'm just stating what I interpret the S days are, and also asking advice.

desertmom

Post by desertmom » Mon May 10, 2010 1:21 am

Hi Movieguy. If you go back to the No S Diet homepage and read the section entitled "What do you mean by sometimes?" Reinhard gives an explanation and includes a couple of links explaining what should happen on S days. To me, it seems they aren't for bingeing or breaking every NoS rule, but perhaps picking and choosing the NoS rules to break (like have seconds OR sweets OR snacks, but not all three). At least that's how I interpret it. Read them and see what you think. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 am

MovieGuy, I think you're misunderstanding the intent of S days. Rather than try to explain it myself, I'll leave it to Reinhard:
Reinhard wrote:What do you mean by "sometimes"?

I stuck the word "sometimes" in the exception to remind you not to be an idiot on S-days. It's been my experience that the good habits you build on the non-S-days will see you through the S-days without too much excess. My S-days tend to be no worse than my pre-No S Diet ordinary days.

(relatively) New! "Don't be an idiot" insufficiently specific for you? Read this discussion for a little more guidance.

Note: readers of the No S Diet book may have noticed that the word "sometimes" didn't make it to the print version. The reason for this was mostly typographical (the 14 word version with "sometimes" just didn't fit as well on the cover). And while some people can using the extra reminder, "sometimes" isn't really logically necessary -- OF COURSE you shouldn't eat snacks, sweets and seconds ALL THE TIME on S-days. I've kept the "sometimes" on the web site so pre-book No S dieters don't feel like I've changed the system out from under them, and as far as I'm concerned, both the 13 and 14 word formulations of the system are equally valid and "canonical" (more on this issue here).
Also, S-Days Gone Wild
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:51 am

Once again, you can't plan in the future what you will eat on S days until you've lived many weeks of N days.

You say you come here to learn and then you tell us that WE are missing the point of S days? Dude! Hey, I'm just sayin'! Please stay. I'm trying to be nice.

from Ch. 5 on S days: "Yes, you can abuse this rule by counting your hamster's second cousin's birthday as an S day or gorging yourself on gallons of ice cream every weekend, but you can't do it without knowing you're being a bozo." Not in a moral way; in a comfort way. It won't be pleasurable anymore! You can't decide that's not true until you've paid your dues.

We are trying to tell you that if you think you will be happy continuing to stuff yourself beyond what N days have taught you is plenty of food just because you can, then this probably won't work for you. No hard feelings! Reinhard admits that if you do this, you won't lose weight and he never claims you would. The whole point is that most overweight people have lost touch with what is a satisfying, moderate amount of food and this is a plan with relatively few restrictions to get you back in touch with that. Once you get in touch with it, you still have to choose it. Strict diets will get you in touch with it, too, but at the expense of a lot more will and, usually, obsession.

I ate a lot yesterday, an S day. I didn't feel that good, but I did it because I wanted chocolate and a lot of it.

Today, I don't want it. I was not hungry until noon, and chose not to eat until then because I knew I would feel lousy if I did. Theoretically, I COULD have, but experience has shown my I would be happier with my meals and the gaps between the meals if I didn't. I had some chocolate at the end of my lunch. I'll have some dinner between 7 and 8 because I am not one bit hungry now at 6:48 p.m. and would not enjoy food right now EVEN THOUGH I COULD EAT, BY THE RULES. I choose not to eat dinner later than 8. I won't skip it even if I'm not hungry but I may have soup broth with veggies and chicken just because I think that is what I would all around enjoy more. I still have two squares of chocolate left. I won't decide until I have dinner if I will have that chocolate. I may not want it.

I couldn't have predicted this. I had to live it.

This is how I am behaving 4 months into it. Others have gotten here sooner, some later. Some have given up by now. Good luck to them, truthfully. I may be different with my S days in 2 more months. I have a feeling I won't be overeating chocolate even one S day a weekend because I just won't enjoy it or desire it.

Most people who have kept at it here are eating quite similarly to N days with a well-chosen moderate snack or two or a special dessert thrown in on S days, as stated on p. 105 of the book. They are happy and feel free around food. They did not get there by imposing punitive rules on themselves, but by observing over time what to freely choose to eat and not to be driven by food, but by pleasure. They really feel that "moderate pleasure beats the spicy trash of excess hands down." (p. 97) And these words are not spoken/written theoretically, meaning BEFORE they have been experienced.

One more quote from Ch. 5: "You have no business worrying about S days if you can't do N days right." (p. 104)

That is as harsh as Reinhard gets. I hope I have been equally reasonable sounding, as I'd hate for you to miss out. This is a good bunch, but I hope you understand we will say what we have learned from doing it and appreciate if others give it a good try before finding all the faults.

Feel free to browse past posts, too.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon May 10, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy » Mon May 10, 2010 2:18 am

Wow, I feel so terrible now. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my slight aggravations. I'm sorry. I just wanted clarification. I am starting the S diet and want to succeed. I have the book by my bedside and even purchased the S Diet pin to put on my labcoat to wear at work. :(

I will stick to it for a month and see what happens. I will try not to binge on the S days.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 am

MovieGuy wrote:I will stick to it for a month and see what happens.
I will try not to binge on the S days.
Good choice,
and Good Luck to you with your No S efforts.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon May 10, 2010 10:57 am

MovieGuy wrote:Wow, I feel so terrible now. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my slight aggravations. I'm sorry. I just wanted clarification. I am starting the S diet and want to succeed. I have the book by my bedside and even purchased the S Diet pin to put on my labcoat to wear at work. :(

I will stick to it for a month and see what happens. I will try not to binge on the S days.
Relax! People here are very forgiving and the tone of the forum isn't as confrontational as a great many other on teh interWebNetz.

So, to throw in my two small denominations of your chosen coinage: try it. There is no way to predict how your body will react. I've been No-Sing for about four years and haven't modified it; I'm now healthier and look better than I ever have.

On your original questions:
1) Decide who constitutes a worthy cause for a social gathering where food is allowed. Stick to it. Doing this after drinking is more difficult than when sober, but it is possible. I offer myself as anecdotal evidence, though it's less of a problem these days because the nights I drink more tend to be S-days anyway. If you are going out to eat, eat one plateful. It's not as good as home cooking (which I mostly do, but that's because (a) it's cheaper and (b) I enjoy it), but it's better than gorging on a three course meal.
2) Yes, you can. After a while, though, you probably won't want to.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon May 10, 2010 12:45 pm

A not-very-secret secret of NoS is that over time, your definition of what constitutes a "binge" will probably start to change: as you get used to eating more moderate amounts of food, your standards of excess start to change, as well. (At least, that's what happened for me, and I think for a lot of people around here.) If that never happens, there's going to be trouble: it's quite possible to undo all the good of a week of N days, with two over-the-top S days. But at first, the best advice is to give yourself some time to get N days under control, before you start to worry about S days. If they don't moderate themselves over time (like, *months* of time), you may have to be concerned about trying to moderate them, but it's quite possible this may happen gradually, without any special effort. That's one of the nice effects of NoS.

I'll second those who are surprised at how tiny your breakfast and lunch seems to be. I think you'll find that the three-meals structure works a lot better if you spread out your eating more, so that all three meals are fairly substantial, rather than two tiny and one *huge* meal.

Re: restaurants. Well, that's a tricky one. I eat in restaurants a few times a week, and I don't do anything specific, I just have one serving of whatever I order. But I'm not sure what to suggest if eating in restaurants is the main way you eat ... I guess at first, just try not to order many waves of food, and see how that goes. It might be that you end up needing to be a bit more strict about serving sizes than people who eat primarily at home, since restaurant food tends to have substantially more calories per volume than stuff you cook yourself. But that's a judgement to be made after you're able to consistently eat only at mealtimes, for a good while, and you've seen how that's working for you.

For social occasions: I just don't eat anything when those things come up. Sometimes I explain why not, but more often, people simply don't notice that I'm not eating. There's actually surprisingly little pressure, I find: it's more important to be there than to be eating, most of the time. If someone does try to press me to eat cake, a simple, "Thanks, but I'm trying not to eat between meals" generally takes care of it, without having to explain the whole NoS thing. People generally react more along the lines of "Oh, OK, probably a good idea" than "Hold him down and make him eat cake!" :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

MovieGuy,

Welcome! It's a lot to sort out, isn't it?

I would like to second the advice to "try it a while first." My experience (and my observation of others over time) is that an individual's approach to No-S very much evolves over time.

To over-simplify a bit...

Phase I: Getting the N-days down. S-days are often still over the top, but the focus is building N-day habits, and getting them SOLID.

Phase II: Over-the-top S-days don't "feel" good. Mondays are almost a relief. People are perhaps frustrated with their lack of control on S-days. Almost without noticing, the "binges" get a bit smaller because the person is starting to recognize that they DON'T GIVE PLEASURE. The contrast between N and S begins to stand out. People start to get pickier about what they consider "s-worthy" treats.

Phase III: S-days become more moderate, but WITHOUT a sense of deprivation. Sometimes that happens through a gradual shift during a long "Phase II", sometimes by some conscious maintenance of N-day habits on S-days. (For example, I realized I felt much better on S-days if I kept to the basic 3-meal structure. So I do.) Sometimes both... In the end, there is a marked shift in habit.(What I call a "binge" now used to be "normal eating every-day!")

The trick is to go slowly enough that Phase III does NOT feel like deprivation. This evolution happens over time, but it NEEDS time. Only repeated experience will reassure the non-cognitive part of your nature ("the lizard brain" - or, as another book called it, your "inner piggie") that there WILL be food again and you will NOT starve!

Also, during this transition there may be a bit of emotional fallout for those who have been accustomed to using food to stuff down emotions or avoid facing issues. As one of the quotes goes "if hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!" The good news is that as we identify and deal with actual problems, emotionally-driven eating is less of an issue. Developing better life skills is a nice side benefit to No-S!

So that's my bird's-eye view of the process, as lived and observed. Last bit of advice: don't push too fast. You can't jump to Phase III right off, and shouldn't try. Start with the N-days, and move from there.

Best wishes!

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

KCCC, that was an excellent post! I think the phases are a really great way to introduce the plan. Especially Phase II, and the fact that for many of us we have to very, very slowly move through the phases naturally instead of forcing them. Someone here once had a post that used the image of a puffed-up blowfish to describe someone in full panic. I love that image, because it could have been me in Phase I between meals (Oh GOSH I can't eat those chips now!!) or Phase II (Oh GOSH I ate too much on Saturday and Sunday!) but time has really helped me see that I am slowly but surely developing habits that are sane and beneficial.

I feel like I'm on the tail end of Phase II, and I have "puffed up" a few times and thought about modifying my weekends with some official rules, but I have only been doing this for about three months, and judging by my Phase I experience, I will very naturally get to Phase III with experience. I will see there was no need to puff up in panic, because sanity has won. But it's the KNOWING I "can" have stuff that will help me walk away from it. This worked well for N days, which are extremely pleasant and automatic, and I'm getting there on S days, too.

I would also like to thank everyone for being so nice on this board and de-railing any potential incivility. Let's credit our good eating habits for stabilizing our moods! ;)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon May 10, 2010 6:36 pm

KCCC wrote:Phase II: Over-the-top S-days don't "feel" good. Mondays are almost a relief. People are perhaps frustrated with their lack of control on S-days. Almost without noticing, the "binges" get a bit smaller because the person is starting to recognize that they DON'T GIVE PLEASURE. The contrast between N and S begins to stand out. People start to get pickier about what they consider "s-worthy" treats.
This sounds like my last weekend, verbatim! Although I'm only on my second week so I wouldn't call it Phase II, but my last S-day behavior definitely fit the pattern. Couldn't wait for Monday to roll around. Really over-did it with the brownies :? I knew after I was done that I didn't like the feeling. It was a stark contrast from my N-day hunger high. The S-days were a teachable moment.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Movieguy,
I totally agree with KCCC. At first, don't worry about S days--use them as a necessary "safety valve" so that you can stay on habit on N days. If you feel like eating alot of something will satisfy you--go ahead. Just don't be disappointed if you don't lose alot of weight quickly, no S takes time and it's good to understand that from the beginning. Over time you'll start eating less on S days as your N day habits "bleed" over to S days. Even Reinhard says that your first few weeks of S days are going to be excessive-it's part of the process.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

paulawylma

Relax and keep it simple

Post by paulawylma » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 am

Hi and welcome to No S. I have the book and a lot of people seem to miss the part at the beginning where it says that everything you need to know is on the cover. No snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on days that begin with S. The rest of the book is meant to clarify the rules for those who insist on clarification. The whole "don't be an idiot" thing is for people who have a problem after they have established the no s habit. For the first 21 days or so, go ahead and be an idiot. If that what it takes to limit yoursel to meals, then go ahead. Get the habit down first and then consider things like nutrition and portions -- if they turn out to be a problem. One of the things that no s does for you--one of the most important things is to get you out of the diet mentality. As others have noted you are not eating enough at meals during the day. Go ahead and fill up that plate and if you feel full before it's empty then great. No S doesn't say you have to empty the plate--only that you can. During my recent restart on No S I made a point of having something junky and delicious that wasn't a sweet as an option on my plate. Sometimes I ate every bit of it and sometimes I didn't. My choice. An example of some of my no s meals: hamburger and fries, stroffers (not Lean Cuisine, regular Stroffer's) French bread pizza with the rest of the plate filled with Potato chips and a beer, and one time I stopped at the grocery store and brought a bucket of wings and when I got home I got out my regular plate and filled it up. In the first four weeks of my restart I had only one red day--April 15, tax day. The funny thing is that I don't have problems with S days. I don't stick to the regular meal pattern and I often forget to eat because I things to do and errands to run. Except on Saturdays that I work-- then I eat crap all day (I have a job that's so boring even the supervisors admit it's boring.)
Avyway, I'm probably beating a dead horse, but the point is develop the habit first. Don't anticipate problems- you may discover that old problems disappear on their own and new ones may never show up. Keep it simple.

paprad

Re: Relax and keep it simple

Post by paprad » Tue May 11, 2010 5:12 am

paulawylma wrote: Get the habit down first and then consider things like nutrition and portions -- if they turn out to be a problem. One of the things that no s does for you--one of the most important things is to get you out of the diet mentality.
This was the same advice given to me on another thread, and I found it hugely reassuring. I think, after years of unsuccessful dieting, I am unable to trust a system fully - so, while the rules say I can let go on S days, at the back of my head is this skeptical voice saying "really? are you sure you can eat that? whom are you fooling?" and then I find myself in this confusing spot where I am attempting a mishmash of different diet ideologies. I think, I need to establish the trust first. And this is where I find the forum so helpful.
getting there

leafy_greens

Re: Relax and keep it simple

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 pm

paprad wrote:
paulawylma wrote: Get the habit down first and then consider things like nutrition and portions -- if they turn out to be a problem. One of the things that no s does for you--one of the most important things is to get you out of the diet mentality.
This was the same advice given to me on another thread, and I found it hugely reassuring. I think, after years of unsuccessful dieting, I am unable to trust a system fully - so, while the rules say I can let go on S days, at the back of my head is this skeptical voice saying "really? are you sure you can eat that? whom are you fooling?" and then I find myself in this confusing spot where I am attempting a mishmash of different diet ideologies. I think, I need to establish the trust first. And this is where I find the forum so helpful.
I, too, find myself in this mentality. I'm trying to find a balance between allowing myself to eat what I want and not going overboard. I have read from others that your first S-days can be ugly, but it's necessary to go through that because eventually you will get it out of your system.

MovieGuy

Re: Hi MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy » Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am

JuliaLovesVanilla wrote:I'm new too and I really liked how Reinhard explained: "S days should be S days so N days aren't."

MovieGuy, here is what I'm doing to get started. I am toughening my resolve to make it through the weekdays. No matter who is doing what, no matter what kind of delicious food and treats beckon, I have my mental blinders on like a horse pulling a carriage to just keep my eyes straight ahead until my new habits get formed: 3 meals - that's all. That will be my reality.

Then, when the weekend gets here, whatever you're craving or wanting, have it. It would work out especially well if on Saturday and Sunday one of your friends was having a party/celebration with food that you could go to! That way you could make great use of the S days in a satisfying way, a great win-win conscience clear! And really, adjusting through the week is not too hard and can be challenging in fun & creative ways!

Each of us has different lifestyles and we can adjust and adapt this wonderful plan to them & feel comfortable with our way of eating.

What I'm already loving about it is, it's so simple! Just 3 plates of food a day on No-S days. And on S days, have what you want, as desired!

I could relate to many things you said in your post, and I wish you much success with this.
See I like your way of thinking. Just make it simple. 3 meals on the N days. And whatever you want on the S days. Some of the posters on here are complicating the S days when they're not supposed to be complicated.