Newbie here - please review my S Day "Binge"

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sarapilar

Newbie here - please review my S Day "Binge"

Post by sarapilar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:51 pm

I did great for N days during my first week, but here is what I ate Saturday:

Omelet for breakfast with tomatoes and avocado, 3 cups of Decaf with Half and Half

Sauteed chicken, vegetables, salad with dressing and rice for lunch - 1 more cup of Decaf with a lot of Half and Half

Large salad with dressing and avocado, some chicken breast and cooked carrots.

NOW, here is what I also had:

A box of healthy Oatmeal cookies (the whole box - 10 cookies)
Large peanut butter and chocolate chip brownie
Large piece of chocolate butter cream cake - extra frosting
French fries
Large glass of whole milk
Big bowl of cereal at 3am

I have just lost 80lbs on a very strict no-flour no sugar diet (Strict food 12-Step program) over the last year...I am trying to incorporate eating normal foods again...but, at the rate I am going on S days, I think it might be too much...I am 5 lbs up on the scale, and my clothes did not fit the next morning.

I am a compulsive over eater who has gained and lost the same 80lbs five times in my life (I am like Oprah).

Also, I wonder if introducing these foods back into my diet after a year of eating so 'clean' is going to trigger my obsessing over food - maybe it is better to never start eating flour and sugar again? All I can think about it getting more cake with tons of buttercream frosting, even though last night I was sick from it.

Is this really allowed for S Days? Is this "OK" and going to work?

Thanks,
Sara in Atlanta

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:33 am

Hi Sara,
Welcome to No S and well done for your N days - a week of successes is excellent.
As for your S day... from my experience this is totally normal when you first start No Sing. Have you read KCCC's sticky on the 'Phases of No S'? I think it is on the general discussion board but here is the link: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6437
This is a great post for explaining the different stages people go through.
I don't know anything about the programme you have been on - I can only speak from my own experience. I have been doing No S since the end of April (my second attempt) and have lost 10lbs. It is slow weight loss (compared to ww and other programmes) and I often gain weight after the weekend. However, I am now at the stage where I like how I eat during the week and I like how that makes me feel. This means that the habits I have built on N days are carrying over to the weekends (I actually refused chocolate yesterday - something I never though I would do!)
My advice would be to concentrate on the N day habits for the next few weeks and see how you feel then. Good luck - I'll look out for your posts :D