Didn't see anywhere...Leaning Tower (Tree in the Gale?)

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
Huffdogg

Didn't see anywhere...Leaning Tower (Tree in the Gale?)

Post by Huffdogg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 am

I was looking for something to engage my lateral and oblique abdominal muscles more, and stole this from a medicine ball workout I saw using a similar principle. You simply hold the sledge overhead, with fully extended arms. Have your arms spread as far apart as is comfortable, ideally with one hand right next to the head of the hammer and the other at the far end of the handle. Then simply lean to one side and raise yourself back to straight, being sure to consciously engage your obliques in the motion. I only did 10 reps each side and I felt more burn in my abdominals than I have with any other shugg movement so far.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Sounds intriguing! I'll give it a try on my "freestyle friday."

Now to think of a manual labor analog...

Reinhard

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 pm

yeah...I've been working on that. Nothing so far, though :cry:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Mika_Onida

Post by Mika_Onida » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Holding the sail rope? (I know nothing of sailing)