Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

automated eating tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worth it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto!

Just caught up and saw all of your recent success!! Way to go!!! You are so inspiring- especially on the dry days. 😉 I’ll be joining you next month!

In the meantime, I can only imagine the relief you must be feeling with your numbers doing so well, especially around your pre-diabetes. My mom is diabetic and it is no joke.

Anyway, I’m sending a bunch of virtual hoots and cheers and hugs and i’m looking forward to hearing more of your continued successes! 😁
eschano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much here I have to catch up with properly later but we’ll done on the no-alcohol!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
automatedeating

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Gosh, last night was hard again to resist having wine. I guess I had a bit of honeymoon period those first few days, and now it has gotten tougher. But I did fine, just wasn't expecting to still have those urges.

Tuesday, August 8th
Blood Pressure: 106/78 (sheesh that is kind of an amazing turn-around!)
Fasting Blood Glucose: 85
Weight: 136.2/BMI 24.9

B: coffee w/milk, eggs & avocado & cheese & fried zucchini
L: skip
D: grilled burgers w/friends tonight, lots of veggies w/dip, tons of great toppings -- bacon, avocado, tomato, onions, lettuce, pickles. Everyone else will be having alcohol and snacking. Dessert will be available. Mental preparation in process!

Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
eschano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done again! It might be like I found NoS - even after a couple of years I’d suddenly have a week full of cravings then had easy weekend again?

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow look at those numbers. How’d the night go? Social situations are the hardest for me. I drink partly because of social anxieties I think.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs
7/18-152 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Imogen Morley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your dry days! Also, regarding your weekend challenges, I know that if I taste something sweet before lunch, the whole day is a goner. Perhaps delaying consumption would bring you some peace of mind?
automatedeating

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! You guys are forever encouraging. I really appreciate it.

Imogen - maybe you are on to something with me that I hadn't recognized before. I think that I might be like that too -- if I start the morning with a pastry, I end up eating fries and a milkshake with dinner, lol.

So, last night went fine! I was only mildly tempted by the alcohol -- the other nights without guests were actually tougher! Shocked But, I should add, it went fine because I had mentally prepared prepared prepared for massive temptation. And I knew you all had my back! Smile

Wednesday, August 8th
Weight: 136.0/BMI 24.9
Fasting Blood Glucose: 88
Morning Blood Pressure: 121/77

We are going to a water park/theme park today. Leaving now (early) and getting home about 10pm. So a LONG day! And of course theme parks are notorious for having crap to eat. So what to do? I don't have a solution at this point. If I was a faster, I'd just try that. So I'll see how long I can go, but seriously, I want to have fun today and not worry too much about avoiding food! But it's not really in the "S" Day category, so I think I'll just try to make reasonable choices under the circumstances. We'll see!
Note: I LOVE doing stuff like this with my kids at their ages (12 and 9). I'm not freaked about losing them (as much, haha), and the older one is a very strong swimmer. The younger one, not so much, but mostly he's on slides. He can't go in the wave pool without me (at least that's our rule). We all have so much fun, and my boys have the stamina of a marathon runner! We are usually the last to leave these places when they close.
eschano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like such a fun day and I would definitely consider making it an S day.
We went to Legoland about a month ago and brought a big picnic basket with food with us so it wasn’t a problem for us then. Mainly because on the internet Legoland UK is notorious for having bad food that is served too slowly 😂

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, MAN! I failed but it was SO close to what could have been a revolutionary win!!!
So, yesterday, I had an egg sandwich for breakfast, which was more bready than I'm currently eating, but I felt like it was a decent start to the long day. Then -- about 1:30 my husband and I shared a plate of Nachos with cheese, beef, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, olives -- it actually was decent and about the best we could hope for at the park. Then..... (drum roll) we left at about 8:30pm and had already decided to go through a drive-thru on the way home. I felt strange...hungry? but not hungry? I craved fries and a milkshake and so to beat the craving I ordered a HUGE burger, thinking I had outsmarted my cravings! Alas, as soon as I bit into the burger, I realized I wasn't hungry, I didn't need it. But I just kept eating it. I should have just skipped dinner!! But even though I've done that a few times at home (rarely, very rarely), in that setting (a fun outing with family), I've habituated to overeating every time! So, a FAIL. However, what stings the most is how close I was to making a GREAT decision. And I missed the chance to really knock it out of the park (theme park, haha). Oh well. Mark it and move on.

BTW, we had a great time together as a family yesterday. Love my boys. And I love my husband, who is a great dad. My dad never came to stuff like that with me as a kid. My poor mom, what a trooper, she carried right along and made sure we did fun stuff. So I appreciate seeing my husband "play" with the kids, and be there to help out when each kid wants to go a different direction, lol. And I'm totally stiff and sore and bruised and thoroughly pleased with the day, food notwithstanding.

Thursday, August 9th
Weight/BMI 25.1
Morning Blood Pressure: 112/72 (lovely!)
Fasting Blood Glucose: 95

B: coffee w/milk
L: skip
D: chicken fettuccine alfredo

note -- I seem to do much better if I plan my meals for the day as soon as I wake up. However, today has some quirks so I'm hoping I can make better choices than last night, despite not having adequate plans....
What is that saying, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail?"
eschano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto what are you doing food wise now? Not NoS? Seems like everyone has moved on.

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eschano!

I haven't moved on from NoS, although I'm not able to get away with just Vanilla anymore. I rarely rarely ever skip a meal, haha. (Well, unless you count breakfast when for all 5 years on NoS I have often just had milky coffee in the morning.) I still take weekends as S Days, but I'm restricting the fun to afternoons and even then choosing my treats with care. I know I need to establish something I can stick with for the rest of my life, and I can't deny I freak myself out sometimes wondering if I will not be able to keep to my lifestyle changes.

My issues are that I now have officially developed prediabetes, pre-hypertension, and mild chronic kidney disease, so I am finally motivated to adjust what's on the plate. Unlike so many of my friends on these boards, I resisted and really dug in my heels for years to begin eating healthier food. My years of fast food have caught up with me. The only nice part is that medical problems do provide motivation to change, lol. And note -- I feel fine -- these are all health problems that tend to lead to bad outcomes, but don't feel bad for many years. So, I'm determined to turn things around. I've been chipping away at my eating habits for about 9 months now with reasonable success.

Friday, August 10th
136.5/BMI 25.0
Fasting Blood Glucose: 101
Morning Blood Pressure: 123/75

This morning I went in for an A1C test and a fasting insulin test. My nephrologist was very nice, but he really could not understand why I wanted the fasting insulin test. When I said I'm concerned I have hyperinsulinemia, he said "that's impossible" because then my glucose wouldn't be elevated. Grrr. I guess docs are not all on the same page about insulin resistance yet. But I know it just takes time for them to catch up. Remember 10 years ago when NO ONE routinely was tested for Vitamin D? And now every physical does it? Or even fasting glucose -- before that was routine? Well, fasting insulin will be the norm in another 10 years, I predict. For now, I'll continue to be a high maintenance patient and ask for it. I had to ask for the A1C test, too, but the doc was totally cool with that one.

And I was prescribed a thiazide for my hypercalciuria. Thiazides!! They INCREASE the risk of type 2 diabetes, especially in someone susceptible like me. So I will not be taking that med. So everybody here on the board keep your fingers crossed that my (moderate) low-carb diet will help reduce my hypercalciuria. I am optimistic. In 3 months I have two more 24 hour urinalysis so we'll find out. I'm not saying I would never take the drug, but I want to try dietary interventions first.

Sometimes I think I really need to go back to school and study some more. I have a Master's in Physiology and I love my teaching job, but I (apparently?) am really craving more intellectual challenges, to the point that I am over-analyzing and dissecting my own (minor) health problems. For those of you that have read this far, I feel like I need to put out a disclaimer that I am not actually stressed about my health. I enjoy tackling the puzzle. I would have really enjoyed a career as a doc that is brought in when the case is confounding. Very Happy

L: steak salad
D: grilled salmon w/veggies

Last edited by automatedeating on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
eschano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks auto for explaining. I’m sorry to hear about your health issues. They seem to have caught them all early so fingers crossed.

July 2012- January 2016
Started again July 2018
worth it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi auto,

So I just looked up hypercalciuria. Dang it... sorry to hear about this one too, although it seems somewhat related to your kidney issues. Anyway, I find it awesome that you are not discouraged and continue to try and find another way through (other than a prescription) first.

I also understand about wanting to “tackle the puzzle”. Since I’m an HR person, I tend to notice people’s competencies/strengths and I’ve definitely seen your ability to tackle problems come through your posts repeatedly (its awesome)!

Finally, the water park sounded like a blast. I’m the one who does that with my son (my husband doesn’t typically go). It’s a good reminder that I’ll need to do it soon because summer is running out fast!!
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, August 11th
I didn't even realize it was an S Day until I read Octavia's post! Haha!

Weight: 136/BMI 24.9
Morning Blood Pressure: 118/73 (!!!!!!!!!! note to others -- if you have hypertension, give low carb a try! Holy cow, it's like magic with my blood pressure!!!!! My previous readings were consistently 140/90.)
(out of Glucose strips so can't do FBG this morning)

It's Saturday, and this "automated eater" will be having her Sat night ice cream. Smile

So it's the end of the day and I'm not sure how I feel about today. I think GOOD. But, also not sure of my boundaries.

B: coffee w/milk, avocado on toast
L: nachos w/cheese, avocado and sour cream
D: chicken sausage w/ roasted zucchini, onions, garlic, and mozarella
snacks & desserts: couple handfuls of blueberries; 2 plums; 1 bowl of ice cream I savored the ice cream.....I ate just plain old vanilla and it's that premium vanilla from Costco.....it's divine. I never was one to just eat vanilla ice cream, but I gotta say -- I think it's a new pleasure for me! And also, I am consciously scooping out a moderate serving. For much of my life, eating ice cream meant shoving as much in my bowl or cup as I could. And many times I would feel icky afterwards. So I know I can enjoy it and feel good later if I watch the portion.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Sunday S Day, August 12th[/b]

snacks: grazed on blueberries, 2 plums
L: piece of cheese & salami; cheese & bean quesadilla
D: cheese ravioli w/tomato & tuna fish
Dessert: vanilla ice cream & brownie

I am EXHAUSTED. I spent all of yesterday and all of today deep-cleaning my house. My sister-in-law and my brother are visiting for the first time ever. Their house is always immaculate. I know I shouldn't care too much, but I do like to have my house really clean, actually -- so this just provided me with ample motivation. Smile Just the garage left tomorrow, and I did that one not too terribly long ago so I'm hoping it's not too intensive. Note to self: dust blinds more often in future, lol.

Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part of having visitors or parties is we are suddenly motivated to do stuff around the house we’ve been putting off for months. Enjoy your visitors!

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs
7/18-152 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Imogen Morley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your house? My friend has to clean 22 windows every time her sister visits... just listening about it is exhausting.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Imogen!!!! My house only has 7 main windows, plus a few small ones in the closet (which I just counted after your response, haha!).

Monday, August 13th
Weight: 135.6/BMI 24.8 Can you believe that? My weight went DOWN after an S Day?! I should remember that I kept both days very N for normal with the exception of grazing on fruit a bit and having a very proper dessert each night.

Morning Blood Pressure: 114/75 (Who would have ever known I had a blood pressure problem, based on that reading? I can't believe it was this easy to lower, and nary a pill in sight.) Note to others -- consider reducing your carbs (especially sugar & flour, which is what I've done the most) to reduce blood pressure. Definitely worth a try before going to medication.

L: (will be) walnuts, brie cheese, and blueberries and/or 1/2 apple - I might try an egg with this but not sure if this would all go together. Can you tell I really want to eat the brie but I'm avoiding crackers? Plus, I don't even have any crackers today.
D: (will be) slow-cooked chicken thighs with broccoli salad

I've been loving the website dietdoctor.com. It has a lot of recipes that are very basic and use simple ingredients, and pretty much always include different ways to prepare veggies. I feel like HomeChef (my meal subscription) was preparing me for this next step in my cooking life. I can do this!

Note 1: Imogen's suggestion that keeping my S Days "N"ish until noon is key for me. Indeed Sat & Sun I just waited for evening to have a (delicious, delectable, guilt-free) dessert and I've never been happier about my S Days!

Rant 1: I was reading a nutrition study comparing two diets. I looked through the meals provided for the participants and I ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR. This was a NUTRITION dept, and they had (I am NOT kidding) crap served at the end of both lunch and dinner EVERY DAY for 2 weeks!!!!! m&ms, skittles, snickers, hershey kisses, etc. What a joke! I guess they think it's all about moderation, but in my mind, that is not moderation. They could do well to check out the NoS Diet. Grrr, what ridiculousness!!! point 1: really? Do they really think people need pure sugar at every meal? point 2: really? Do they really think people will stop at a small handful every time? Haven't they read ANY of the studies on the addictiveness of sugar? point 3: And really? Do they really think that those crappy treats they mentioned are worth it? They could have at least served up a quality dessert instead of gas station sugar bags. End Rant. Laughing
ladybird30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your progress, especially the BP.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ladybird! Smile

Tuesday, August 14th
Today is 2 weeks Dry - 6 to go

Weight: 135.3/BMI 24.7
Morning Blood Pressure: 116/69
-Out of glucose strips-

B: coffee w/ milk
L: (will be) not sure yet
D: (will be) burgers w/ lots of veggies
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re doing great! I’m a little jealous of your responsive body. Seems like the only way I’m going to lose another pound is to lose a limb. But enough of me, keep up the great work & thanks for always being so supportive!

Linda

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs
7/18-152 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
worth it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto,

You are doing amazing! So inspiring! Seems like you have really gotten into a groove and are becoming" automated" for sure.

Not to mention, I always enjoy your humor-infused posts!!! You crack me up!
clarinetgal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Auto! I’m glad things are going well for you with reducing your blood pressure, and everything! I can relate to you, on the house cleaning. I will be having a family gathering at my place on Sunday, to honor my sister and brother in law, who are visiting from Germany, so i’d like for my house to be decently clean. I noticed my goal weight is identical to yours. I think we are about the same height. I’m 5’1.
Take care!

1/2018 Current BMI: 31.8
2/2018 BMI: 31.5
4/1/2018 BMI 31.5
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda -- OMG, please keep all of your limbs. Laughing But thanks for your encouraging.

Worth it -- I certainly want to be automated, but I tend to get on a kick and then fall off the wagon. But I do feel determined to stay on this wagon at the moment.

Clarinetgal -- I'm 5'2"! Smile So yes, very similar height and goal weight. Let's do this!

Yesterday I ended up with two fails: cheese in the afternoon and ice cream after dinner.

Wednesday, August 15th
My brother and his family arrived last night. Today we headed out to the San Juan Islands to show him around the Pacific NW a bit. Smile
B:coffee w/ milk followed by a latte
L: cobb salad -- left dressing on the side and didn't end up needing it
resisted donuts & ice cream that others were enjoying.
D: (will be) quesadilla with cheese, tomato, avocado, sour cream
Imogen Morley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I've missed the fact that we're the same height, but that explains why I can relate to so many of your insights. Enjoy your guests!
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, August 16th
B: coffee w/milk, bacon & eggs. Feels like a fail, because I wasn't actually hungry, but my husband made the meal for our guests and I would have felt weird to not eat. Strange.
L: glass of milk
D: After our guests left, it was date night -- split a burger & fries w/hubby + bacon & brussel sprouts. I also .... um..... had a glass of wine. That of course was later followed (at home) by two more. FAIL. Oh. And the wine lowered my brownie inhibition so I also ended up eating a brownie. FAIL.
Overall, not the proudest of habit days.
Back on the dry wagon today though.

Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry you felt the pressure to eat. Next time just say “I’m not a breakfast person” and drink your coffee. Nobody seems to question breakfast skippers too much.

Keeping my limbs for no! Wink

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs
7/18-152 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
automatedeating

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm not a breakfast person."

Yes, I can practice saying that!!

Friday, August 17th
Weight: 135.2/BMI 24.7
morning blood pressure: 118/86

L: (will be) yogurt, walnuts & brie cheese
D: (will be) salmon with olive tapenade & tomatoes

Visitors gone and a week of vacation left. I am going to tackle one last big project -- reorganize kids' rooms. I'll need my husband to help me take apart the bunk beds in one kid's room so that we can move one of the beds to the other kid's room (who has just been sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a couple of years!).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: