Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Blessings of Simplicity - Measuring and Monitoring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathleen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what this means.
Kathleen
Soprano

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the site has been hit by a Spammer. I have sent a message to Reinhard

Jx

Last edited by Soprano on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing that Soprano. So annoying !

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
9/18-154 lbs;

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 1 – Tuesday, May 1, 2018: 219.2
Day 2 – Wednesday, May 2, 2018: 218.2
Day 3 – Thursday, May 3, 2018: 218.6
Day 4 – Friday, May 4, 2018: 218.6
Day 5 – Saturday, May 5, 2018: 217.8
Day 6 – Sunday, May 6, 2018: 219.6
Day 7 – Monday, May 7, 2018:
Day 8 – Tuesday, May 8, 2018:
Day 9 – Wednesday, May 9, 2018: 216.4
Day 10 – Thursday, May 10, 2018: 214.4
Day 11 – Friday, May 11, 2018: 216.4
Day 12 – Saturday, May 12, 2018: 216.4
Day 13 – Sunday, May 13, 2018:
Day 14 – Monday, May 14, 2018:218.4
Day 15 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018: 218.2
Day 16 – Wednesday, May 16, 2018: 215.6
Day 17 – Thursday, May 17, 2018: 213.6
Day 18 – Friday, May 18, 2018: 215.0
Day 19 – Saturday, May 19, 2018: 215.6
Day 20 – Sunday, May 20, 2018: 217.0
Day 21 – Monday, May 21, 2018: 216.6
Day 22 – Tuesday, May 22, 2018: 217.6
Day 23 – Wednesday, May 23, 2018: 214.2
Day 24 – Thursday, May 24, 2018: 214.8
Day 25 – Friday, May 25, 2018: 213.8
Day 26 – Saturday, May 26, 2018: 215.8
Day 27 – Sunday, May 27, 2018:
Day 28 – Monday, May 28, 2018:
Day 29 – Tuesday, May 29, 2018:
Day 30 – Wednesday, May 30, 2018:
Day 31 – Thursday, May 31, 2018: 215.4

Journal
Day 1 – Tuesday, May 1, 2018: 219.2
It has been easy to adjust to a 1 - 7 PM eating window. I am not losing any weight. Why? Dr. Bert Herring, in his book, said about 90% of people who try a five hour eating window lose weight. He is puzzled why the other 10% don't. I fit in that 10%. Why am I not losing weight? Well, last night, it occurred to me that I already knew and had already written about it. I still am following the rule from my dieting days: "Eat everything you are allowed to eat." The eating window is more or less a free for all. I eat in 6 hours what I used to eat in 24. All those years of eating right to 1,500 calories when I was on a 1,500 calorie diet or right to 1,000 calories when I was on a 1,000 calorie diet are coming back to haunt me. I no longer need to count how many raisins I am eating. All I do is look at the clock. When the clock says I can eat, I eat. No. I need to evaluate if there is any other reason for my eating. There can be lots of reasons. I can like the food. I can be sharing a meal with someone. I can actually be hungry (rare). What I need to do is ask myself if the only reason I am eating is because I can and then maybe not eat because that isn't a very good reason.

Has this all been a waste? No. I have learned to exercise self-control in those 18 hours of fasting, and that self-control will serve me well as I try to avoid eating when the only reason why I am eating is because I can. I am still eating sweets but am preferring healthful food like a chickpea salad. That also is good. There is just one small problem: the habit of eating simply because I can.

Day 2 – Wednesday, May 2, 2018: 218.2
I was going to record when I started eating but decided against it. There are just too many variables that might affect when I eat. Yesterday was a truly bizarre example. I picked up doggie poop bags that turned out to be scented. The scent had such a bad effect on me that I asked Ellie to bring them to the garbage, and I went to bed for two hours. I got up at 7 and ate dinner. You just never know. This approach is adaptable. You aim for an eating window of 1 - 7 PM but it is totally fine if you eat outside of it.

Day 3 – Thursday, May 3, 2018: 218.6
I have become an observer of my own behavior because I am letting my body decide what and how much to eat. I am on my third bag of grapefruit in about a week. I estimate I have had about 14 entire grapefruit in a week. Why? I have no idea. I developed a dislike for grapefruit because it was something recommended for many diets as a high volume relatively low calorie food. I bet I've had as many grapefruit in the last week as in the last two years. Right after Easter, I wanted lots of jelly beans. It makes no sense to me, but it sure is not stressful to just eat what I want. Will I lose weight? I don't know, but I am more likely to lose weight craving grapefruit than craving jelly beans!

Day 4 – Friday, May 4, 2018: 218.6
It is discouraging to have lost so little weight -- about 8 pounds in almost a year -- but I feel as though I have nowhere else to go than to continue fasting. Every other weight loss approach has resulted in binge eating and weight rebound. What I am trying to do is focus on exercise. I am up to 3:45 seconds of fast walking.

Day 9 – Wednesday, May 9, 2018: 216.4
It has been almost a year (May 21) since I really committed to intermittent fasting, and I got tired of being in the 215 - 220 pound range since January. What I have concluded is that a daily eating window of 6 - 8 hours is a fantastic (read: easy) way to maintain weight, not to lose it.

At the end of December, I was sick for three days after walking in below zero weather to see my mother in law buried. My boots turned out not to be waterproof, and we had a four hour drive back home right after the burial. I did not eat for three days, and that is how my weight went below 220.

Yesterday, I decided to take the very conservative approach of a fast which includes one cup of bulletproof coffee (coffee with 1 tablespoon each of butter, coconut oil, and heavy whipping cream) and as much homemade bone broth as I can eat. Today is Day 2. I am going to go through Saturday at the most. My hope is I get below 215 and stay there for the next month.

The Dr. Fung fasting book says you can fast 7 days every month. I don't want to fast 7 days. I'm a little reluctant about driving past a 3 day fast, but I have done water fasting for 3 days and done fine. My biggest concern is driving. Can I fast this long and drive? Katie is in the process of moving home from college, so I probably will have to drive on Friday.

Day 10 – Thursday, May 10, 2018: 214.4
I started to feel cranky last night, so maybe I am going to start eating this afternoon. Maybe I can just do this little an amount of multi day fasting each month to lose weight. I don't know. It's an act of personal discovery -- or, as Dr. Bert Herring puts it, a study of one. I read all these success stories of people who just eat daily within a certain eating window of 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 hours and lose tons of weight. Not me. I have to accept that I need multi-day fasts.

8:15 AM: It is going to be a struggle to make it to 1 PM. I actually spent an entire month doing three 36 hour fasts per week. I did not lose weight. This was a modified fast because I had homemade bone broth and one cup of bulletproof coffee per day. If I make it to 1 PM today, I will have fasted about 60 hours. If I do this two times per month, maybe I can move the needle on the scale. That is what I'm considering doing now. It really wasn't too hard, and I gave myself a break also on fast walking. If I break my fast today, I can actually just have skipped one time of fast walking (since I walk three times per week). If I time it correctly, I can do 60 hour fasts and not skip any times of fast walking. Looking ahead to May 20, I can start a 60 hour fast on Sunday night at 7 PM, do fast walking at 7 AM, break the fast Wednesday at 1, and do fast walking on Thursday and Saturday. That could work!

Day 11 – Friday, May 11, 2018: 216.4
I am determined to be under 215 by the end of the month, so I plan to go on another 2 day fast starting on Sunday evening. I can then do fast walking on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. My maximum for number of days of fast walking is three times per week. This week, due to the fasting, I only did fast walking twice.

Day 12 – Saturday, May 12, 2018: 216.4
I am making beef broth and plan to start a 60 hour fast tomorrow after dinner until Wednesday morning. My expectation is I will then be in the 210 - 215 weight range which I will maintain through early June. I may then try to get below 210 in conjunction with preparing for my colonoscopy (due before my 60th birthday in October; planned so Tommy can go with me).
I am sick to death of being so fat. I want to be below 200 pounds before I renew my driver's license in October. My weight on my driver's license is currently 220.

Day 14 – Monday, May 14, 2018:218.4
I decided to do three day fasts every other week, which is what co-founder of IDM did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1q5gthksM

I cannot interrupt my life to lose weight. I can keep going with three day fasts.

6:30 PM: I made an abrupt decision an hour ago to eat in a one hour eating window every day and see how that turns out.

Day 15 – Tuesday, May 15, 2018: 218.2
I had personal training with Kayla today. She gave me a new exercise so that I can loosen my shoulders. She is stunned by how tense my shoulder muscles are. She has told me many times she thinks I need to see a therapist in order to lose weight. I don't mind. She is a sounding board for me. Today, I told her once again I think my problem is physical, and we discussed how quite unexpectedly my taste in food has changed. I speculated from what lpearlmom said that the reason is that my body now wants fat because it has gotten used to consuming fat during fasts. I then when and found this blog from Dr. Fung and sent it to her:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-solving-two-compartment-problem

This is the summary paragraph: "This explains the time dependence of obesity. That is, those that have been obese for a long time have a much, much harder time losing weight. Because their insulin resistance is high causing elevated insulin levels all the time."

I read that and thought: I have been obese for more than 15 years. It is going to be difficult for me to lose weight. My body has to be absolutely desperate in order to access fat. If I just fast for 16 or even 20 or 22 hours, that is not enough incentive for my body to access fat. Instead, it slows down. It is still using glycogen. My body needs a longer fast in order to have the incentive to access fat. A two day fast is enough time, I believe, for my body to go through the effort of accessing fat. Fasting is not enjoyable on the second day, but that means I have one unpleasant day per week. I can suffer through this. I think I need to suffer through this.

My changing tastes were a clue that my body is being changed by the fasting; however, I'll be dead before I'm thin at this rate. I don't even have a goal of being thin. I just don't want to be so fat I don't want to wear a swimsuit.

Day 16 – Wednesday, May 16, 2018: 215.6
My father, who passed away in January, was larger than life, so much so that it is actually difficult to believe he is gone. He had a parenting philosophy that you can "program" a child with "tapes" of what you want them to do. Looking back now, I see how much those "tapes" affected me. They affected all four of us. We are now collaborating on a document of Grandpop words, and we are up to 8 pages single spaced! An example is this: "Occasionally drunk at 25 is occasionally sober at 50." He grew up near three bachelor uncles who lived together and were alcoholics. He was terrified one of us would become an alcoholic. I heard that saying quite a bit. I did get drunk at college and in my early 20s. I never got drunk after I hit 25.

This morning, I realized there was another saying rattling around in my brain: "Fat makes you fat." From yesterday's conversation with Kayla, I realized that my body is learning, through fasting, to prefer fat over sugar. I realized this morning that the real hard truth is this: "Fat makes you thin." Holy cow. I think I've figured out why I became obese. My well-meaning father got it wrong. A body used to using fat for fuel will be very comfortable accessing fatty stores in the body. A body used to using fat for fuel will not present hunger signals to the brain but instead will access fatty stores in the body.

It is no fun to fast, but at least fasting ends. I remember our pastor giving a sermon on how Christ said, "When you fast", not "If you fast." Maybe fasting is necessary to keep the appetite in check, to make sure the body is accustomed to accessing fat. Dieting never ends. You are miserable right up until you give up and binge. I can hang on until tomorrow morning knowing I won't fast again until next week. Due to my schedule, I won't fast again until next Thursday.

Day 17 – Thursday, May 17, 2018: 213.6
I made it two days having only two cups of bulletproof coffee and homemade bone broth from beef bones. That was enough. It was easier yesterday than I feared. Maybe it was because I was really busy, or maybe it was because this was the second time I did it. At any rate, I'm not real thrilled about this approach to losing weight, but I'm desperate. Daily intermittent fasting did not result in weight loss. It makes sense that I may need to fast longer because of the long time my body has gotten used to sugar intake.

Day 18 – Friday, May 18, 2018: 215.0
My body is telling me I am doing too much. Yesterday, I had some diarrhea. This morning, I woke with a mild leg cramp. It took me a long time to fast walk 4:45 seconds. Yesterday, I broke my fast by having oatmeal at 6 am. I allowed myself to eat from 6 am through 7 pm and was surprised that I really did not want that much. I had the tiniest sliver of a cake Katie made because that is all I wanted. I happily everything I wanted, and that included a ginger ale that I enjoyed without guilt. It is so nice to eat what you want and as much as you want.

Now what? Next week, I think I'm going to try fasting all day Tuesday and Wednesday until Wednesday dinner when I will have oatmeal. I am going to have beef broth on Monday and Tuesday but try to be done with coffee before then. That means no bullet proof coffee during my fast. Coffee is trouble for me. I get dependent on it and have to have the right dose from morning to morning or I get a headache. No thank you. Because I just started drinking coffee again to have that bulletproof coffee, I think it will be easier to give up than when I gave it up two years ago.

Interestingly, my son brought up how he took a course that included nutrition. He was responding to my saying, "Fat makes you thin." He countered, "A calorie is a calorie is a calorie" and "You cannot deny the First Law of Thermodynamics." Cringe. My father used to say that as well.

I followed bad advice right into obesity.

9 PM: Tonight we went to Fogo de Chao as a celebration because Anne was home on her way to an internship in Oregon. I enjoyed having our family all together, of course, but I was totally turned off by the restaurant. This is an all you can eat place, and there were some people there topping 400 pounds. Not just one. Not just two. Several. We had people coming all the time to offer more food. It was too much. It was a lot of show. Ick. I wanted a slower pace and to enjoy the food on our plates. Has my approach to eating changed? Do I eat more slowly? I'm not sure. Maybe.

Day 19 – Saturday, May 19, 2018: 215.6
I cannot do my fast walking on Thursday next week, so I think I will fast walk tomorrow, fast Monday to Tuesday evening, have oatmeal Tuesday evening, and fast walk on Wednesday. I am not sure that fasting only 48 straight hours in a week will result in weight loss. I may need to fast 60 straight hours. This next week will be an experiment.

Day 21 – Monday, May 21, 2018: 216.6
I paid for a dinner tonight that is business-related but may send Tommy instead if he is willing to go. That allows me to fast today and tomorrow.

Yesterday, I bought some Trader Joe's milk chocolate covered pretzels and ate a bunch in the car on the way home. Last night, instead of having dinner, I had two cups of yogurt with strawberries. My body did not want anything else. I think this approach of two solid days of fasting may be a bit tough on my body, but it is resulting in weight loss. I certainly will not do more and may end up breaking my fast tomorrow night by having oatmeal. I have to muddle through and see what works for my body. Dr. Fung recommends against two day fasts because Day 2 tends to be the most difficult. The problem I have is that I can't fit longer fasts into my schedule.

This summer is going to be busy. We have four weekend car camping trips scheduled plus a week on a houseboat plus I am going to NJ (with my sister), CA (to visit my Mom), Oregon (with Ellie to visit Anne where she is interning), and Indiana (with Ellie and Katie to tour a college and visit Anne). I also have two days of dropping off and picking up Katie at camp. Looking at this schedule, I may just go to one full day of fasting and leave in place the daily 12 - 7 eating window. In other words, no eating on one full day and eating 12 - 7 on other days.

It's really clear to me why there is no one-size-fits-all diet. Diet has to fit into your life.

Day 22 – Tuesday, May 22, 2018: 217.6
I went to the dinner last night, so I will fast today and tomorrow. It looks like a two day fast per week results in about a pound a week in weight loss, which would be a great pace. Last night, I shoved on my wedding ring. I could wear it all night without feeling any sort of pain. My fast walking is reducing my ring size, I'm convinced of that, because the few pounds I have lost would not have made a difference. I've been at this weight before and unable to wear my wedding ring. It is tight, however, and may need to come off. I can barely turn it on my finger.

Because my high weight last week (weight as I began my two day fast) was 218.4 and today's weight just as I begin my two day fast is 217.6, I think I'll stick with a full two day fast and break my fast on Thursday morning rather than Wednesday night.

I'm having just about 1/2 cup of coffee today as I wean myself off coffee -- again. It seems to be easier to give up this go-around. I have a lot of driving ahead of me. I bet I put over 100 miles on the van just driving around with Katie to work, Ellie to school, and Katie to horseback riding lessons. Last week, I filled up the gas tank 3 times.

9 AM: My ring finger started to hurt when I was walking, so I came home and used Dawn and warm water to pull it off. I need to wait to wear my ring.

Day 23 – Wednesday, May 23, 2018: 214.2
It was easier yesterday to fast one full day than it was to fast one full day last week. I had bullet proof coffee and bone broth last week; yesterday, I had nothing but 8 ounces of coffee.

Brad Pilon is one of the early adopters of an intermittent fasting lifestyle. He has an email list, and I periodically get emails from him. This email came out this morning:

"Intermittent Fasting has become VERY popular in the main stream media over the last 6 months.

These things happen in cycles, the last time being around 2013.

In 2013, when Intermittent Fasting was a big topic in the news, we had all sorts of crazy stories about the ‘miracles’ of IF.

Then, as a result, we had the backlash, with clickbait articles about the dangers of IF, including IF not being good for women.

So now, Fasting is Big Again, so please be aware, the negative information will be coming again…

As an example, lets talk about the recent reports that fasting now causes Diabetes.

This comes from absolutely reckless and irresponsible reporting, using information gleaned from a poster presentation at a conference, not a published or reviewed study.

The study in question was also performed on Wistar Rats and they didn’t actually measure whether or not the rats had become diabetic. Importantly there as also no mention of a control group.

[[ As a note, please keep in mind my conflicts of interest are obvious, so I’m trying to report the facts as best I can, but keep in mind, I can’t help but have biases in this regard ]]

As we’ve discussed earlier, longer fasts (48 plus hours) can cause temporary and transient insulin resistance in humans, as it takes some time to switch from ‘fat burning’ to ‘glucose burning’ when your blood is high in free fatty acids.

The important point from these findings is that the insulin resistance induced by 48 hours of fasting is not associated with changes in three diabetes linked genes - Calpain 3, calpaan 10 and DARP, suggesting that it is mediated by increased blood FFA and NOT a change in insulin signalling / handling.

Finally, please do not let a single presentation on rats alter your reality. We should always be diligent, questioning what we think we know, but we should be just as cautious with bad news as we are with overly good news.

But at the same time, it is our duty to point out fake truths, otherwise they become reality .

Stay even keel on this - Fasting is a tool we use. It’s not magic, you don’t get to gorge on pizza and burgers just because you fast. However, from the human research, at this time it seems very unlikely that fasting will cause diabetes.

Your friend,

Brad"

10 AM: My breath really stinks which is a sign of ketosis. I decided to eat within the noon ot 7 PM window today.

1 PM: I'm full now, but in 1/2 hour, I had cottage cheese, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, a bowl of mueslix, a bowl of Cheerios, and some Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream. Maybe I do need a 60 hour fast. This is a test. If I don't lose weight this week, I'll go back to a fast lasting all day Monday and Tuesday.

1:10 PM: And a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing which Ellie made. Wow. I did not eat like this after a 60 hour fast.

10 PM: I picked up Ellie from her daycare job at 6 PM, took her to Panera Bread for dinner, and then took her to a college night beginning at 7. I had zero interest in eating.

Perhaps I will lose weight just eating within a 12 - 7 PM window 6 days per week plus one day per week of not eating at all.

Day 24 – Thursday, May 24, 2018: 214.8
It is hard to tell at this point if just not eating one day is good enough. Today I ate early. I even had a vanilla latte. I felt like it, and that's OK.

Day 25 – Friday, May 25, 2018: 213.8
Maybe I just needed a longer fast to get me on track.

Day 27 – Sunday, May 27, 2018:
I ate breakfast yesterday morning, and I had snacks last night, and I had breakfast this morning. Now I appreciate that fasting does the opposite of what most people do: fasting actually decreases appetite. I'm back on track now but doubt I'll weight myself for a few days, out of concern that I would become discouraged.

Day 28 – Monday, May 28, 2018: 215.8
I decided to look at my weight and was pleasantly surprised that it was only 215.8 after two days of no fasting whatsoever. I learned something from the experience. I no longer like eating in the morning. This morning, I did have coffee with cream as a way to ease back into having no calories in the morning. It's Memorial Day morning, and I am procrastinating on doing fast walking. I need to get going. I really dislike the fast walking, but it is only 30 - 35 minutes of walking to get in 5 minutes of fast walking. Multiply that by 3 each week, and I am only looking at 90 minutes of disliking exercise. I can manage. HIIT seems key to good health. I sweat. I come home and bathe because I do not like AT ALL the feeling of sweat.

Day 29 – Tuesday, May 29, 2018:
I did not weigh myself this morning. I was mostly awake since about 2 am because my tinnitus was so loud and I experienced a noticeable decrease in hearing over the weekend. It was scary. Using an online hearing test, I get to see the deterioration of my hearing and not just suspect it or have my exasperated family tell me my hearing is getting worse. What to do? I went back to the months where my hearing seemed to have improved, between December 2015 and February 2016. I thought that it was my commitment to HIIT at that time that resulted in hearing improvement, but it cannot be because my hearing is deteriorating and I am doing HIIT three times per week. What else was I trying? I was trying a combination of honey and cinnamon which I had read might work from someone on Facebook who is the mother of one of Katie's friends. I did not like the idea of taking this stuff and quit at some point but I am not sure when. Luckily, I see from my nosdiet posting that I saw the Facebook post around December 3, 2015 and thought I could see improvement in hearing by December 15. It is unclear when I stopped taking cinnamon but it must have been fairly quickly because I did not even finish one container of cinnamon. I also was taking magnesium glycinate but I started taking that again about two weeks ago.

I'll try taking cinnamon and honey at least through when Ellie and I leave for Oregon on June 24.

Hearing loss was not even on my radar four years ago, and now it is so debilitating I could not go back to work. Tom tells me to get hearing aids. Wonderful. At the rate I am losing hearing, I could be completely deaf in a couple of years. That is why I am trying anything and everything.

Day 30 – Wednesday, May 30, 2018:
It's amazing how quickly I lost acclimation to skipping breakfast. I ate in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, and I am still dealing with the aftereffects. Yesterday, I had cream in my coffee and ate starting at 11:30. It is now 9:30 and so far today I've had one cup of black coffee.

Day 31 – Thursday, May 31, 2018: 215.4
I have not fasted until noon since last Friday, so I'm happy with my weight today. I have learned a lesson -- that consistency is important. We eat out breakfast once a month with other people, and I don't have problem returning to a morning fast after one breakfast. After two breakfasts in a row, I have had a lot of trouble. Yesterday I decided to have my honey and cinnamon at 10 and then fast until noon, but I became hungry and started eating at about 10:30. Today I am going to wait until at least 11 before having the honey and cinnamon.

Last edited by Kathleen on Thu May 31, 2018 11:39 am; edited 59 times in total
Soprano

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the post above Kathleen?

Jx
Kathleen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soprano,
I decided to set up the journal through the summer since it will be a busy summer -- trips to Oregon, California, and New Jersey; a week on a houseboat; four camping trips; taking Katie to and from camp five hours away... That is all. I will write something today.
Kathleen
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen I really feel that until you get to the point where you are only eating in response to hunger you are going to struggle to lose and more importantly maintain any weight loss.

I'm not sure this fasting will work for you as if you only eat enough to satisfy your hunger during your fasting period it may not sustain you at other times.

Jx
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soprano: once you become fat adapted, you are not hungry when you are fasting. It takes about 2-3 weeks to use up your glycogen stores and then your body starts to use fat for energy. When your body is using fat for energy it sends satiety singals to your brain because it can sense it has plenty of energy.

I can easily go 40 hrs without food and only start to feel just a bit hungry towards the last couple of hours.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
9/18-154 lbs;

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom wrote:
Soprano: once you become fat adapted, you are not hungry when you are fasting. It takes about 2-3 weeks to use up your glycogen stores and then your body starts to use fat for energy. When your body is using fat for energy it sends satiety singals to your brain because it can sense it has plenty of energy.

I can easily go 40 hrs without food and only start to feel just a bit hungry towards the last couple of hours.

I'd like to explore this further with you. I'll start a new thread though rather than take over Kathleen's Smile

Jx
Kathleen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soprano,
I will agree with lpearlmom on this one. I've gone multiple days of not eating and not feeling hunger. There is a French saying that roughly translates: "Eating creates hunger." I think it may be eating carbohydrates that leads to hunger but am not sure. You do have to get used to fating, but I find fasting way easier than calorie counting. It is also calming. I'm not sure how to describe this, but when I tried eating only when hungry, I was in a panic if I was not able to get to food right away. I would carry food in my purse, as a matter of fact. With fasting, you come to realize that you are not in immediate need of eating. If a meal time slips by an hour, so what? That is even true if the meal is at the end of a fast. Yesterday, for example, I met a friend for a late lunch. I'm not even sure when we started eating. It was not important. What was important was catching up with a friend. Now that is the way to live!

NoS is a form of fasting by the way because you fast between dinner and breakfast. It just isn't enough of a restriction for some like me who have been obese many years.

Kathleen
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 32 – Friday, June 1, 2018:
Day 33 – Saturday, June 2, 2018: 215.8
Day 34 – Sunday, June 3, 2018: 215.4
47 - 44 - 47.25
Day 35 – Monday, June 4, 2018: 214.4
Day 36 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018:
Day 37 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018: ALL DAY FAST
Day 38 – Thursday, June 7, 2018: 212.4 ALL DAY FAST
Day 39 – Friday, June 8, 2018:210.2
Day 40 – Saturday, June 9, 2018: 211.6
Day 41 – Sunday, June 10, 2018:
Day 42 – Monday, June 11, 2018: 214.4
Day 43 – Tuesday, June 12, 2018: 214.2
Day 44 – Wednesday, June 13, 2018: 216.4
Day 45 – Thursday, June 14, 2018: 213.8
Day 46 – Friday, June 15, 2018: 213.4
Day 47 – Saturday, June 16, 2018:
Day 48 – Sunday, June 17, 2018:
Day 49 – Monday, June 18, 2018: 214.6
Day 50 – Tuesday, June 19, 2018: 214.8
Day 51 – Wednesday, June 20, 2018:
Day 52 – Thursday, June 21, 2018:
Day 53 – Friday, June 22, 2018: 215.6
Day 54 – Saturday, June 23, 2018: 215.2
Day 55 – Sunday, June 24, 2018: 213.6
Day 56 – Monday, June 25, 2018:
Day 57 – Tuesday, June 26, 2018:
Day 58 – Wednesday, June 27, 2018:
Day 59 – Thursday, June 28, 2018:
Day 60 – Friday, June 29, 2018:
Day 61 – Saturday, June 30, 2018:

Journal
Day 32 – Friday, June 1, 2018:
Yesterday, I got tired of my jeans being so loose. Since my jeans cost $15/pair at Costco, I donated them all and went and bought size 16 jeans to replace the donated size 18 jeans. I told Tom, and he said he was surprised. He's heard about dieting from time to time throughout our marriage with nothing to show for it. Could it be I have actually figured out how to lose weight?

9 AM: I am having a colonoscopy next week because I turn 60 in the fall and Tommy is home to take care of me so Tom doesn't have to miss a day of work. The timing is great. I cleared with Mayo that I can fast for three days instead of restricting my choice of foods. We will see if weight loss is sustained after the three day fast. After months of having a 12 - 7 eating window and losing no weight, I have concluded that I need periodic multi day fasts in order to lose weight but can maintain weight loss with daily eating window. We shall see.

Day 34 – Sunday, June 3, 2018: 215.4
I still have a tendency to eat just before my eating window closes. One thing I realized from my interchange with Soprano is I am not just showing German stubbornness by refusing to consider portion control or restriction on choice of foods. Instead, I have come to believe that the only way to sustain weight loss is to follow a practice that allows me to eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I tried intuitive eating for many years (bought the book at last 15 times and threw it out 15 times) and that is how I ended up with fasting. I still can eat as much as I want of whatever I want but not all the time.

Day 35 – Monday, June 4, 2018: 214.4
Yesterday, I ended up not eating until 2:30 pm and maybe that is why I went down a pound. I don't know. I had to haul Katie to a lake 45 miles away for scuba certification on both Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, I decided to stay in the area, attend church, walk at the Y, and eat lunch. The certification ended earlier than scheduled, which is why I did not have lunch. The nice thing about this way of eating is it is no big deal. I am now accustomed to having to wait to eat. I no longer get grumpy if my scheduled meal is delayed.

Day 36 – Tuesday, June 5, 2018:
I don't think I am going to weigh myself until after my colonoscopy on Friday. I will be down quite a bit of weight by then, and my hope is that I can maintain a weight under 210 until the beginning of July. I am starting to target a five pound weight loss per month, using a multi day fast to move the scale and the rest of the month to maintain that weight on the scale. The real time of actually losing the weight will occur when the scale is already showing a weight loss. This is hard to explain, but years ago I followed a Novena Diet approach to losing weight: I ate no more than 1,000 calories per day for nine days and then maintained the weight loss of five pounds for a month. Over time, I came to realize that that month of maintenance was when my body really lost the weight. What I am looking at now is a three day total fast as a substitute for the Novena Diet. With a three day fast, the first day is really easy. That means two days per month are difficult at all. For my Novena Diet, all nine days were torture. I got to the point where I just could not stand doing this. While I did lose almost all my pregnancy weight in 2002 (down to 150), it came back with a vengeance. I kept trying to follow the Novena Diet and kept failing and the weight just went up and up and up.

Day 37 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018:
I ate a ton yesterday in anticipating of not eating again until after my colonoscopy on Friday afternoon. This week is a perfect time for me to do little, as I am just making sure Katie is set for fall term in Spain and Ellie is enrolled for summer classes. I did fast walking yesterday and won't go again until Sunday at the earliest.

8:30 PM: Today was miserable. I realized that there is a big difference between fasting, knowing you can quit at any time, and fasting, knowing you have to continue as preparation for a colonoscopy. I am rethinking having three day fasts. They take away from life. I may try just doing a one day fast once a month or every other week. You only live about 30,000 days, and I just wasted one. It was a beautiful summer day, too. The dog got one walk.

Day 38 – Thursday, June 7, 2018: 212.4
It is only 8 AM, and I am tired. This will be a long day. Luckily, I can do little to nothing. The kids are having leftovers for dinner. I'm just making a salad and doing a little housework.

10:26 AM: Just now, for the first time since I was a teen, I feel confident I will have a healthy weight at some point in the future. Why? I wanted to make sure I had good food when I can eat on Saturday. What I picked out was white bean and avocado salad. As I was chopping the garlic, I suddenly realized I didn't even know what a chef knife was three years ago! Here I am, preparing a salad and looking forward to having it. Yes, I still like milk chocolate covered pretzels and coffee ice cream from Trader Joe's, but what I really wanted on Saturday was a salad!

I am reading a book called Blue Zone Solutions about how the obesity epidemic can be fixed in America so people can live longer, healthier lives. The solution, perhaps, is very simple: teach people to fast, and the rest follows. People also need to learn to cook. I missed out.

Now my youngest is taking culinary classes to learn how to cook. She likes them so much that she is taking classes over the summer so she has room in her schedule this fall to take culinary classes.

Day 39 – Friday, June 8, 2018: 210.2
Yesterday went fairly well, but I feel weak this morning. Tommy is taking me to Mayo so I am not driving, and I cannot drive home. Last night was instructive as to why multi day fasts don't work very well in a family. I had three meals for them, and a salad. Katie had the salad. Tommy and Ellie stopped at McDonalds. If there is not a family meal, our kids just graze. I goofed in forgetting Ellie had to play at the high school graduation or she could have had sloppy joes. At any rate, Dr. Fung himself fasts until dinner when he can Monday through Friday. I may try that rather than a longer fast. I think I am going to aim to get to 205 and stay between 205 and 210. Having experienced the feeling of weighing just a little bit less, I want to weigh even less!

Day 40 – Saturday, June 9, 2018: 211.6
It turns out I could I could eat after my colonoscopy, so I did! This morning, I continue eating. I think I am solidly in the 210 - 215 weight range, and I'm not sure what I am going to do next.

Day 42 – Monday, June 11, 2018: 214.4
That fast was brutal. I think I'm going to accept being in the 210 - 215 range for awhile and maybe try to increase physical activity. The next two days need to be dedicated to getting Katie ready for camp and Spain. I just calculated she will be home five days after coming home from camp before going to Spain.

2 PM: I ate a lot in the last two hours in part in anticipation of possibly fasting all day Wednesday when taking Katie to camp. How ridiculous. My problem still is preventative eating. I think maybe I should settle into the 12 - 7 eating window and maybe focus more on physical activity.

8:30 PM: I weighed exactly the same last Monday as I did today. What does that tell me? "Diet backlash" occurs after significant fasting. I think, once again, that maybe it would be better for me not to vary the fasting but just settle into a 12 - 7 pm fasting window. I end up fasting about 18 hours because usually I don't start eating right at 12 or finish eating right at 7. Tonight, for example, we finished eating at around 6.

The book Intuitive Eating had a specific term for the type of eating I do, and it is eating to prevent hunger. When I vary my fasting schedule, I tend to eat more. I am high strung, there is no doubt about it. Maybe for someone like me, a predictable fasting schedule is best.

My next month is going to be very hectic. I bring Katie to camp on Wednesday, a 5 hour drive each way made more complicated by the fact that she had convinced the camp director that the Scouts would enjoy having chickens so we will be picking up 3 chickens on our way out of town. Tomorrow we buy a coop and feed, etc.

Next week, I go to New Jersey for my father's interment. The following week, I take Ellie to Oregon to visit Anne and my brother. The following week is the Fourth of July, and Tom is off all the week so we can go camping. The following week, I go to California to visit my mother.

Really, do I need to complicate my life with tweaking and tweaking my approach to weight loss? I have tried all sorts of fasting schedules, and 12 - 7 seems to work best for me. Maybe I can at least put off until September trying to do any other tweaking and just go with the 12 - 7 schedule I have.

Fasting is by its very nature calming because you learn you do not need food the instant you feel any hunger. I think I have defeated the purpose of calm by this constant going back and forth on what I am doing. Time to just do.

Day 43 – Tuesday, June 12, 2018: 216.4
I am a very tense person. My personal trainer, Kayla, told me it is hard for her to distinguish between muscle and bone in my back because my muscles are so tight. I have ground down my teeth so much that I need to wear a retainer every night. The retainer does not keep me from grinding down my back teeth, so I am getting a new retainer this Thursday so that I can keep some of my back teeth. Where did all this tension come from? I believe, in part, that my dieting has contributed to it. That is why I think the best path forward for me may be to just live and let go. I need to accept the weight I get from having the habit of eating between 12 and 7 PM.

10 PM: I am really upset with Katie right now. She came up with the idea of having chickens at camp, convinced the camp director to have them, is borrowing three or four of the chickens she hatched in the spring, and got us to agree to donate feed, bedding, and a chicken coop. We went to buy a chicken coop today, and it turns out chicken coops are seasonal items. The people at the store wanted to sell her a rabbit hutch, and I said no. I know nothing about raising chickens or rabbits, but there has to be a difference between a rabbit hutch and a chicken coop. She was furious at me for refusing. We managed to locate one which requires an additional 90 minutes of driving. She did look at the coop online and admit that the chickens weren't going to do well in a rabbit hutch. We will pick up chickens tomorrow at 7 AM, drive three hours to get the chicken coop, and then drive another 90 minutes to camp. With stops, we will probably get to camp around 1 or 2 PM. Then I have to turn around and drive back.

Why are we buying a coop on the way to camp? She delayed and delayed on deciding what to do about chickens. I let her drop the ball but then picked it up at the last minute. I should have told her "no coop, no chickens." Instead, I called until finding a coop all the while she was furious I wouldn't buy the rabbit hutch. This afternoon, I wolfed down a lot of sweets.

Hmmmm.. I do think overeating especially of sweets is a stress reaction. Katie will be gone tomorrow and she has to run her own life at camp. I told her that, tonight when Dad and I talked on the phone, Dad told me he did not want me buying anything she forgot on the way up, so I then asked if she remembered laundry soap. Nope.

"Some lessons are best learned the hard way." That is my mantra for parenting. She has to suffer the consequences of her actions.

Why am I rambling on about this? Well, dealing with her last minute way of approaching life is stressful, and so is dieting and so is fasting when the rules are constantly changing.

I'm convinced I need to stick with the 12 - 7 PM eating window and just ride down the weight. The weight will come off. I just have to let it come off.

And I have to let Katie grow up.

Day 45 – Thursday, June 14, 2018: 213.8
Yesterday, I got up at 3 AM to look at reviews of chicken coops. I never got back to sleep. I concluded we may want a bigger coop. Katie was picking up chickens that she had incubated this spring in her dorm room. The eggs came from a local Cub Scout camp, the chicks were returned there after they hatched, the chicks (now adolescents) will be borrowed this summer, and the chickens (as adults) will be returned to the Cub Scout camp when Katie gets picked up from Boy Scout camp on August 20. We got to the Cub Scout camp to pick up chickens at about 7:30 and then drove 3 hours to the store to get a chicken coop. We did lift our hold on the smaller coop to get a larger coop. I must say the people in the chicken area were very helpful to me as I tried to educate myself on coops. I must have called them five times last night. Katie was surprised we were willing to donate $400 worth of chicken coop, feed, and bedding, but we got a lot out of that camp and this is likely her last year as a camp counselor.

By noon, I was really tired. I had a large Mountain Dew. Then we drove straight west through small towns that had bars and gas stations that did not have national brands like Holiday. There was no drive-through place to buy lunch, and Katie needed to be at camp by 3. We ended up dropping off the chickens and unloading her gear, and I was off. It was 4:30 before I could get anything to eat. I had a vegetarian Subway because I could not take another McDonalds.

Then I got gas and got a large Hershey's bar and a water. If it had been earlier in the day, I would have gotten another Mountain Dew, but I wanted to sleep last night.

As I was driving and it was getting closer to 7 PM, I was on a major highway and was passing drive-through McDonalds and Burger Kings, etc. Did I want to stop and get something? Did I want to stop at a gas station convenience store and get more candy or peanuts? No. At that moment, no. I still was fairly full from the Subway and just did not want more junk food or, as my road warrior husband would say, "It's all dogfood."

Then I told myself I can eat anything I want and as much as I want tomorrow at noon. Why would I want to eat now when I don't really want anything?

I continued on. By the time, I got home, it was about 8:30. I stayed up until 10 so I could see how the other two kids had done and report in to the people whose dog we have. The kids had Chipotle for dinner. It couldn't be helped. Getting Katie to camp was a big time investment.

Tom got home last night, and I did not even hear him. He told me he let our dog out of the kennel, she hopped on the bed and licked my face, and I did not remember at all.

This morning, I weighed myself at 213.8. I am not surprised my weight was down because all I ate yesterday was a Mountain Dew, a Subway sandwich, and a candy bar. I told Tom, "Some parents have problems with kids getting into car accidents, committing suicide, getting pregnant, deciding they are transgender... We had a problem with a kid not figuring out how to buy a chicken coop."

The reason why I went into a long story about what happened is this is the first time I can recall that I did not eat at night because I knew I could eat at noon the next day.

This may be the secret to success with fasting. If you eat what you want when you do allow yourself to eat, then that driving fear of starvation eventually dissipates. Dieting creates a fear of starvation because you use portion control to limit what you eat. You never are really satisfied and eventually binge eat. With fasting, you know you only have to wait a few hours to eat what you want to eat.

I feel fine this morning despite having not eaten much yesterday. I need to get the gym to do fast walking. When Ellie was in school, I had a deadline to drop her off to school and go to the gym. Now, with her in bed and not going to work until 10 AM, I can dawdle all I want.

4 PM: I managed to do fast walking and had a day with some errands but not much. Tom is home early today because he is going on a weekend retreat, and he and Tommy just took the dogs for a walk. I have lots of food available to me now, including fresh organic strawberries. I just had some cashews. Do I want anything more, especially now with no one in the house because Ellie is also gone (at work)? No. No need to sneak food.

Maybe, just maybe, getting over food obsession is like a fever breaking. If so, I could start to lose weight rather quickly.

Wouldn't that be fantastic after these years of stall? We shall see. All I know is, right now, I have access to lots of food and no one to chide me not to eat it and I am totally not interested, even though next on my plate is categorizing expenditures from credit card purchases to put into our expense tracking worksheet. Nope. I'm not going to the kitchen to eat as a way to avoid doing it. I may find some other way to avoid doing it, but it won't be eating. I don't want to eat.

Yeah!

Day 46 – Friday, June 15, 2018: 213.4
I am convinced by my experience last week with the colonoscopy that it is useless to try multi day fasts. I weighed 214.4 on June 4, fasted from Tuesday night (June 5) to Friday afternoon (June 8 ), and weighed 214.4 on June 11. My body will lose weight in its own time. My effort needs be to be patient and calm. The weight will come off.

7:30 PM: My body wanted a lot of food today, and that's OK. It wasn't an out of control binge. It was more my body seeking to get back to a more normal weight for it. Or at least that is what I speculate.

I think that fasting has a gentle way of changing the body's set point weight, but it takes time.

What is nice is I do not have time to deal with food for the next several weeks. Let's see -- it is Friday night. I am in New Jersey next Tuesday to Thursday, in Oregon the following Sunday to Saturday, visiting in-laws in northern Minnesota the following Wednesday to Sunday, visiting my mother in California the following Tuesday to Saturday, and then home for two weeks because Tommy is in Europe. I've planned my summer to take full advantage of Tommy being home to take care of his sister and the dog!

Eating needs to go with the flow, so to speak. I can't prioritize what I eat. That is the beauty of fasting. I eat what my body most desires of what is available, and that's it.

I have had faith through all of this that the Good Lord did not want us to suffer the way dieting makes a person suffer -- always hungry, never satisfied, always in need of self-discipline, always on edge. There had to be a better way. Fasting is the Lord's way. It's in the Bible. "When you fast...."

The Lord says that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. The same applies to fasting. Fasting was made for man, not man for fasting. Fasting is for our good.

Those scientific experts promoting dieting had it all wrong, and the evidence is clear whenever you walk into a store and see not just obese people but super-obese people, people weighing 300 or 400 pounds. That is common. Science missed what all religions knew: man needs to fast.

I may not write or weigh myself so much in the next month. There is just too much to do. All I need to do now is try to limit my eating to 12 - 7 PM, and that is easy to do.

Day 47 – Saturday, June 16, 2018:
Tommy is at work, Tom is at a retreat, Katie is at camp, and Ellie is at a band function (although likely to come home because it is thundering out). I am home with two dogs, savoring the last quiet moment for probably a month. I am setting the table for the next month.

Fasting succeeds where dieting does not because it reduces your appetite. There is a French saying, "L'appétit vient en mangeant, la soif s'en va en buvant." It translates to: "Appetite comes with eating, but the thirst goes away with drinking."

I need to trust the process of my appetite being reduced by fasting. This will not happen quickly nor will it happen steadily, but it will happen if I just let it happen. At this point, it may be counter productive to pay much attention to the process because I will want to speed things up and instead need to honor my body's desires. Yesterday, I ate a whole lot of junk, including lots of Dove mini chocolates and Trader Joe's coffee ice cream. Instead of being upset, I was curious. I think this type of appetite tends to come after food restriction. I did not restrict food intentionally but instead restricted it because we were in a hurry on Wednesday going along a state highway with no drive-through restaurants.

I may weigh myself; I may not. It may help; it may not. The key is to allow myself to eat as much as I want of anything I want but only between 12 and 7 PM. If for some reason I eat outside those hours, it is not a catastrophe. It's just a missed opportunity.

Today there is no reason not to wait until noon. Hunger is not a good enough reason. Socializing is a good enough reason. Having lack of access to food during my eating window is a good enough reason.

I shoved on my wedding ring the other day and found it did not hurt to wear it. Great! That is a very visible sign of progress since I have worn my wedding ring only a few months out of the past five years. I'm on the right track.

Yesterday, on an intermittent fasting Facebook group, one member was in a panic because she had not lost any weight in 3 months of fasting 16 hours a day. It is premature for me to say anything, but I think it really took an entire year for me to get to this point where I am not just eating for the sake of eating -- because I can, because my eating window is open. Going forward, I am hopeful that I will lose weight more quickly but maybe not. Time will tell. It is encouraging that I can wear my wedding ring.

11:30 AM: "Watch what you eat." Ick. I don't want to watch what I eat. I want to live! In 30 minutes, I can eat as much as I want of whatever I want. I am hungry now, and that is OK because I will be completely satisfied very soon. There are days when I watch the clock and start eating as soon as the clock hits 12 noon. Today is one of those days.

This morning, while cleaning, I listened to this movie on obesity that was on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMS3EtZMp9E

At about minute 47, the narrator said, "The price of staying thin is constant vigilance." That sounds like a sentence of lifelong torture. I cannot believe that the Lord wanted this for us. I just can't.

Fasting is so easy.

12:21 PM: I am satisfied now, although I am going to have some Dove minis. I had two bowls of a bulgar salad, a cup of coffee ice cream, and two bowls of Cheerios. I eat what I want. It's great!

12:30 PM: Now I am completely satisfied. I forgot I also had two slices of peanut butter pie. We normally do not have pie, but there was a half off sale at the grocery store and Tommy wanted one. I also had a package of Costco seaweed and about 3 Dove minis.

That was a lot. I normally am not this hungry when I break my fast, but I was today. It is nice that I still can eat whatever I want even if I want a lot. No voice in my head is telling me I musn't eat so much. The only way I will fast is if I am able to eat what I want when I break my fast.

6 PM: Normally, I do fast walking in the morning but I went this afternoon because two days ago the 120 pound dog we are dogsitting slammed into me and hurt my knee. I wanted to give my knee a little bit more time to heal. As I was driving to the gym, it occurred to me that I am now in maintenance. My approach to eating is set at a 12 - 7 PM window. Also, I got on my wedding ring so my fast walking is set at 6 minutes three times per week. It took me 46 minutes today to get to 6 minutes of fast walking. That amount of time will go down as I get better at the fast walking.

Phew... It's done. Now all I need do is allow my body to adjust to the best weight for itself. That will take time, and that is OK. Patience is a virtue. I am so glad I am off the path of "constant vigilance".

7:20 PM: I also want to add that I am following an idea from the Blue Zone Solution book to have tea. I am having green tea in the morning and herbal tea (a teaspoon of herb in an infuser) with a spoonful of special Trader Joe 10+ honey in the evening. I have tried mint, oregano, and rosemary tea. It may be that this is an appetite suppressant. I don't know. I do think it is somewhat calming.

Day 48 – Sunday, June 17, 2018:
I got up late and stepped on the scale while wearing a nightgown. The weight was 215.2 or 215.4. I am not surprised after eating so much yesterday. Because I got up at about 7:40 instead of 5:30, my weight would have been up to 1/2 pound higher at 5:30. I didn't record my weight at any rate.

I am not sure how to handle maintenance. I keep on being reminded of the stock market. After 9/11, when the stock market crashed, I pulled my money in retirement out. That cost us dearly. I eventually put it all back in. When the stock market crashed in 2008, I did not even bother to look. Now all that was lost has been recovered. I did look a little this spring, but mostly I just ignore it.

That may be the best approach with weight as well. It will take a long time for my body to find its correct weight. Do I want to fuss over slight changes? Not really. I think that, like investing in the stock market, the best approach may be "benign neglect". Really... what changes in behavior might I make based on weight? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. A 12 - 7 PM window seems to work, and I've tried so many others that have not worked as well. Would I try to restrict choice of food or quantity eaten? Nope. That just leads to "constant vigilance". I don't want that. The only thing I can do is continue cooking and educate myself on the best choices of ingredients in foods. For example, I am drinking green tea in the morning and herbal tea in the evening. Black beans are a health powerhouse. I have never cooked with black beans but can look around for recipes and try them out. That seems like a better use of my time than constant monitoring of my weight.

Day 49 – Monday, June 18, 2018: 214.6
While my mind wandered at church yesterday, it occurred to me that I knew why, in older English literature, the laity held in contempt those in the clergy who were fat: they did not keep the fasts! The exception was St. Thomas Aquinas who must have had some sort of metabolic disease. When I got up this morning, I weighed myself because I felt as though I was through what I might have called in my dieting days a binge. My desire for food is like a roller coaster. With fasting, you end up lower than when you started which is why, over time, you lose weight and why, in the short term, it may look as though you are not losing weight. It's like the stock market with its ups and downs.

The weight on my driver's license from August, 2014 is 220. It's a joke that a woman always puts down a weight lower than actual. What I told my mother is I weigh five pounds less than what is on my driver's license. Yes, weight loss is slow, but it IS!!!

How many years have I been stuck at 220 - 225? Now I am below 215. That is something to celebrate!

Day 53 – Friday, June 22, 2018: 215.6
I do eat for emotional comfort, and on Wednesday my sister and I traveled to New Jersey to witness my father's interment. My father was fond of quoting from The Lion King: "It's the circle of life." I wore the necklace that Ellie wore as a bridesmaid to Anne's wedding last year.

Today I get to start preparing for my trip to Oregon which starts on Sunday.

Day 54 – Saturday, June 23, 2018: 215.2
I requested that the local monastery have a Mass for my father, and this was the Gospel reading:
"Jesus said to his disciples:
"No one can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and mammon.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?'
or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil."

Day 58 – Wednesday, June 27, 2018:
Dieting seems so virtuous because it requires self-discipline and the intent is good: to take care of the one body you have. The effects, however, are disastrous. I regret not seeing reality earlier, but at least I have taught our children to think for themselves and not just look at good intent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/immigration-backlash-erodes-merkels-power-in-conservative-stronghold-1530029266?emailToken=d2ecd337db9395d5733d3ce4abf8ee1dig01MUNOMUEm/V1hoxNmJhdqkgX7LZPZUC6aStEqnc4F7zbAZV1k9CcFCxnhXonlEEzmc6x1DG70IUNwYgpz7d9pdqOrJqibQh6ABgT0BrfuArXc2IOCDavQvJRPr+++&reflink=article_gmail_share

Day 61 – Saturday, June 30, 2018:
Yesterday, Ellie and I hiked up Misery Ridge at Smith Rock State Park. At almost to the top, I sat down to rest and fainted. How embarrassing. I came to with people stretching me out to lay flat and Ellie on the phone to the rescue team. I had to get on the phone and say not to come. Ellie was really scared, but I assured her I could complete the hike if we went slowly especially until we reached the summit. I have now fainted four times in my life. This is the first time since we got married. We started hiking at about noon, and I had not had anything it eat. It was hot. It was humid. It was higher elevation than I am accustomed to. I am not 25. The trail was steep. I never felt in any physical danger. What is amazing is it did not occur to me to eat before the climb. I am really used to not eating in the morning. 18,335 steps yesterday!

Last edited by Kathleen on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 am; edited 74 times in total
Soprano

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen I feel your trainer may be right you could well need some help with your eating. It seems a little obsessive.

I know IF works for some people but as you say in your signature "I was determined to find a way to lose weight without restricting what I eat or how much I eat. I only restrict when I eat." You simply can't continue to eat as much as you used to and achieve a sustainable weight loss.

I agree you need to eat what you want without any restrictions or judgement of good v bad food but I do worry this isn't going to work for you.

I wish you luck and hope you can find peace with food but do consider getting some help.

Jx
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soprano,

I think this may be the only way I can lose weight. Today I brought my size 18 jeans to donate to the thrift store. They were too big. Yesterday I put on my wedding ring which was too tight to wear.

I have had a weight problem since I was a teen and managed to keep at decent weight for 10 years and lose my pregnancy weight until 2002. It was difficult back then. Now that baby born in 2001 is in 11th grade. My life has changed much over the years but my weight has been steady for about 10 years.

Why? I think it may be that my body craved fat and I was so gullible I followed a low fat approach which starved my body into binge eating.

The future will tell. I have had the same personal trainer for just over four years. She has never seen my weight this low.

Kathleen

Last edited by Kathleen on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing fantastic! IF makes me less obsessive about food if anything. I know it looks strange to people on the outside but it’s really an amazing lifestyle. Most people don’t end up overeating in their window because fasting actually gets your hunger and satiety hormones in balance. This is called Appetite Correction.

Soprano, I’ve bedn doing Intermittent Fasting for seven months now with great success physically and mentally. Please msg me if you’re curious to learn about how it works. Would love to discuss it further.

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
9/18-154 lbs;

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom,
I agree that fasting makes you less obsessive about food. Who cares if you miss a meal by an hour or so? Who cares if you don't have a specific type of food at home? Really, who cares about what you put into your mouth? You eat what most appeals to you of what is readily available when you are able to eat (during your eating window). I'm not even upset if I end up eating past my eating window due to circumstances. Yesterday, for example, I was at Costco using my prescription card to buy what you use before a colonoscopy, which I am having next week since I turn 60 in the fall. The insurance card would not work. It ended up taking an hour for Costco to figure out Anne was listed as the primary. By the time I got home, it was almost 7. Fine. I ended up finishing eating at 7:15. Fine.

The effect of fasting seems to be cumulative. I don't anticipate gaining back weight because every single day I eat as much as I want of whatever I want.

Kathleen
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, it’s a totally flexible & freeing way of eating, IMO. 💜

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
9/18-154 lbs;

Instagram "lpearlmom"
simmstone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for continuing to try find a way that works for you, Kathleen!

Personally, I love IF - though I don't really call it that for myself... I just happen to fall into the group that does really well using a 'black coffee for breakfast, one big plate at lunch and dinner' approach Smile

I've used eating windows in the past, but I now enjoy setting aside distinct time for 2 slightly bigger meals each day, as I find it helps me make better choices with the food I eat and gives me more pleasure. This preference evolved over time for me, and I'm sure your tastes will evolve, as well, the longer you stick with this way of eating. My craving for sweet foods has dramatically decreased while following this pattern of eating, and my binge episodes have practically disappeared.

Just to give you some food for thought - once it feels virtually effortless to eat this way every day (it's ingrained as a habit) AND you reach a point where your weight stabilizes on this 'eat whatever you want during your eating window' plan (note that there is no need to 'prematurely optimize' your current plan or do anything different while you continue to trend downward - you should only adjust if/when the downward trend stops), THEN there are some additional techniques (i.e. sub-habits) you can use to try to optimize your way of eating for weight loss that aren't as radical as a multi-day fast each month.

When the 'eating window every day' habit is solid and appetite has decreased to the point that you are maintaining your weight, then, while keeping your eating window each day, you could also choose 2 or 3 days per week to set some kind of additional rule(s) around types of food eaten during your window. For example, you could use the 'eating window' PLUS the No S 'no sweets' rule on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays and then use only the 'eat whatever you want during your eating window' rule on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. You could try that for a month and evaluate if it has any impact on weight loss. If it doesn't, you could then try adding an additional rule, like 'eating window' plus 'no sweets' PLUS 'no snacks' on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays, so that 3 days a week you just have 2 large meals during your eating window, and then you eat whatever you want during your window on other days. You could then try that for a month and evaluate impact on weight loss. Since you would keep your valuable habit (eating window) every day AND you'd never be more than a day away from having snacks/sweets, this might prove to be a more gentle intervention to induce weight reduction than, say, multi-day fasts which could (a) disrupt your habit and (b) produce some undesirable 'rebound eating', given your history with binge eating. This is just a little food for thought.

Best of luck to you as you continue on your journey!

Binge-free since 3/25/18
Kathleen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simmstone,

Oh, am I ever adjusted to the eating window! Mine is from 12 - 7 PM. I am having a colonoscopy on Friday and specifically asked if I could just fast from Wednesday to Friday instead of having to restrict what I eat. Last night, it occurred to me that I might as well eat past 7 PM since I won't be having anything until Friday night. Nope. I did not want to eat past 7 PM.

I did have a very stable weight from January to May and ended up deciding to have a multi-day fast as a way to end the plateau. It worked!

This week, I am taking advantage of the requirement to fast and hoping to get below 210.

I like the simplicity of eat whatever I want of anything I want. It would not be likely to work except for one thing: my taste in food is changing. Yesterday, I opened the freezer and took out frozen strawberries instead of vanilla ice cream because that is what I wanted. Admittedly, I also ate quite a few of the milk chocolate covered pretzels I bought from Trader Joe's.

My hope is multi day fasts will be how I break plateaus so I don't need to introduce other rules around eating -- but I will keep in mind that there are other options if multi day fasts do not do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kathleen
lpearlmom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I notice a lot of ppls taste changing with IF. Yesterday I ordered a smoothie that I used to love but it now it seems way too sweet. I drank 1/2 and gave the rest to my daughter.

Smart idea doing extended fasts to. Read plateaus. The longest I’ve gone is 44 hrs. I really dislike missing out on family dinners. How long do you usually go?

Linda

3/14-210 lbs;
3/15- 202 lbs;
1/16- 172 lbs;
9/17-177 lbs;
1/18-162 lbs;
9/18-154 lbs;

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpearlmom,

I tried extended fasting after four months of being at the same weight, and my weight only went down in December because I got sick and didn't eat much for three days. Today I did not eat at all. I did not like it. At all. Because I have a colonoscopy on Friday, I cannot just stop the fast. I can follow the eating rules for a colonoscopy but decided instead to experiment with a three day fast. This may be my last three day fast.

I may try just fasting one full day and picking up my next day's eating window of 12 - 7. Who knows? I am taking one step at a time, but today was fairly useless. I did very little.

My timing was well planned. Katie worked 7 - 3:30, Tommy worked 7 - 2, Ellie was in school 7:30 - 2, and Tom is in Hartford. I could get by with doing little.

Kathleen
Kathleen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

July, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 62 – Sunday, July 1, 2018: 215.0
47.25 - 41.25 - 48
Day 63 – Monday, July 2, 2018:
Day 64 – Tuesday, July 3, 2018: 214.2
Day 65 – Wednesday, July 4, 2018: 214.4
Day 66 – Thursday, July 5, 2018: 214.4
Day 67 – Friday, July 6, 2018: 214.6
Day 68 – Saturday, July 7, 2018: 214.8
Day 69 – Sunday, July 8, 2018: 214.8
Day 70 – Monday, July 9, 2018: 215.0
Day 71 – Tuesday, July 10, 2018:
Day 72 – Wednesday, July 11, 2018:
Day 73 – Thursday, July 12, 2018:
Day 74 – Friday, July 13, 2018:
Day 75 – Saturday, July 14, 2018:
Day 76 – Sunday, July 15, 2018: 212.4
Day 77 – Monday, July 16, 2018:
Day 78– Tuesday, July 17, 2018:
Day 79 – Wednesday, July 18, 2018:
Day 80 – Thursday, July 19, 2018:
Day 81 – Friday, July 20, 2018: 213.6
Day 82 – Saturday, July 21, 2018: 215.4
Day 83 – Sunday, July 22, 2018:
Day 84 – Monday, July 23, 2018:
Day 85 – Tuesday, July 24, 2018: 214.6
Day 86 – Wednesday, July 25, 2018:
Day 87 – Thursday, July 26, 2018: 214.8
Day 88 – Friday, July 27, 2018: 214.0
Day 89 – Saturday, July 28, 2018:
Day 90 – Sunday, July 29, 2018:212.4
Day 91 – Monday, July 30, 2018: 214.4
Day 92 – Tuesday, July 31, 2018: 214.8

Journal
Day 62 – Sunday, July 1, 2018: 215.0
The last few days were not in compliance with eating only between 12 and 7 PM, and that is OK. My weight went up to 215, and that is OK. When else was I going to have marionberry pie at the Dayville Cafe in Dayville, OR or fresh eggs from chickens that my brother has in Hood River, OR? There is a time and a place for fasting, and it is not when out enjoying your family. I did decide I am going to track the number of days per month that I only eat between 12 and 7 PM as a way to motivate myself to eat within that eating window. The only thing I would have changed on our vacation was to not go up Misery Ridge, but I certainly should have had something to eat before I did.

I am going to take my measurements monthly, but it is hard to do so especially at my waist where fat just flops around in rolls. Reality. That is reality.

Day 64 – Tuesday, July 3, 2018: 214.2
Ellie got sick, so we are staying home from visiting my in-laws and being bystanders in arguments about selling my mother in law's house and land. Good timing. I need the days to catch up, anyway. There are loose ends with getting a bathroom remodel done and making sure Katie has luggage for Spain and preparing for a houseboat trip. I've just been racing all summer.

Last week, I ate outside my eating window for three or four days in a row. It was very appropriate because that was when Ellie and I could visit with Anne and then my brother, BUT it definitely set me back. I have more of a desire for sweets which I am indulging. Do I want to restrict eating of sweets? No. I want to work on staying within my eating window. I succeeded on Sunday and yesterday and am on track to succeed today. Eventually, I think, I'll be back on track to lose weight. No one seems to be able to tell that I have lost weight, but I sure can tell -- and I can wear my wedding ring.

Day 65 – Wednesday, July 4, 2018: 214.4
I believe I am through eating lots of sweets, but we shall see. Instead of resisting these urges to overeat, I simply accept them and let go. My only focus is on eating within my 12 - 7 PM window. Weight loss is so slow that I wonder if it would not be best for me to just not pay attention to the process, but I do enjoy tracking. For example, I weight 214.4 today. Prior to this year, the only time in at least 8 years that I weighed this little was when I got really sick about 4 years ago and did not eat. Now I am up to 214.4 pounds. I just have to accept that this approach to weight loss, while it does result in permanent weight loss, is very slow.

11:52 AM: I've been tempted to have a couple of days per week with a longer fast, perhaps to 3 PM. Sitting at the computer with 8 minutes to go before I eat, I realize this is a very dumb idea. It unnecessarily complicates an eating method that is producing weight loss, and it tempts me to break a fast before noon. If I had resolved to wait until 3 PM today before eating, I bet I would be eating right now instead of waiting until noon. Meanwhile, I am recognizing the importance of learning to cook. Today, I'm making lentil soup for me. Yesterday, I made chicken noodle soup for Ellie who, it turns out, may have mono. That effectively ends her summer working at a daycare. We will know later this week, but she has been in bed since she came home from Oregon on Saturday night.

Day 66 – Thursday, July 5, 2018: 214.4
Yesterday, while standing in the kitchen, I was eating crackers with peanut butter on them, and it occurred to me to ask, "Why?" "Why am I eating?" I was not hungry. It seemed to be just a habit to grab whatever I can eat.

I then thought that, if I keep this up, "Why?" will become "Why bother?" Seriously, why bother? If I can eat as much as I want of anything I want for seven straight hours every single day, why bother to eat right now when I'm not even hungry?

I'm not yet to that stage of "Why bother?", but I think I am close.

6:42 PM: Maybe I have reached the "Why bother?" stage. I made a spinach salad which I was going to have for dinner, after admittedly munching much of the day, but then I decided I did not want it. Instead, I wanted my herbal tea with honey, which I have come to consider as an ending point for eating for the day. It is too early to tell, but maybe I am not longer going to waste time and money eating when I don't enjoy it and am not hungry.

Day 67 – Friday, July 6, 2018: 214.6
I think something happened yesterday, but time will tell. My driving need to eat was due to a fear of starvation from all the years I dieted, and finally I think that driving need is dissipating. I am doing the exact opposite of what the medical experts say to do: eat moderately. Portion control. Wise choice of foods. Instead, I am eating what I want during a limited period of time. The wise choice of foods is resulting from limiting what I eat. That was my big surprise. I do still have sweets, but the desire for what to eat is moving from sweets to vegetables -- vegetables! I wanted a spinach salad yesterday. Totally bizarre.

11 PM: I have lost the taste for sugar but continue eating out of habit, so now I think I need to proactively choose better foods and not just eat the same old stuff out of habit. I am desiring vegetables and eat things like spinach salads but am also eating my old standbys. The one sweet I think I will continue eating is one I have not eaten much prior to starting fasting, and that is honey. I have honey with tea at night and also honey as part of homemade salad dressings. Indulging in a lot of pie two days in a row last week set me back. There seems to be some maximum amount of sweets I eat before I end up back eating a lot of sweets. Now I think I need to limit sweets in order to be successful at weight loss. It should not be that hard. It is almost as if tastes shift if you have too many sweets. I'm so far down the path of wanting good food that I now realize going over having a certain amount of sweets results in a detour.

Day 68 – Saturday, July 7, 2018: 214.8
I have zero tolerance for coffee. If I have some, I want more. That is not the case with tea, for some reason. I must have limited tolerance for sweets, and I exceeded that limit with those two slices of pie that I had last week. Very interesting. This is why Dr. Bert Herring calls weight management a "study of one": you have to figure out what works for you.

It is not that I am going to limit my sweet intake. It's that I'm going to be careful, recognizing that I can end up tipping into sweet craving if I have too much. It is very odd that I want to have sweets but don't really enjoy them. This involves some awareness but not self-discipline. It's like having a food that causes an allergic reaction. The pain of the allergic reaction exceeds the pleasure of having the food, so you don't have the food.

Also, I am well aware that I've been spending a ton of money because I am buying organic fruit like strawberries, expensive honey like the Maluka 10+ honey from Trader Joe's, and then junk: crackers, cheese, ice cream, chocolate-covered pretzels... It is no wonder my weight went up slightly.

One more strange thing: Honey is a sweet but is not something I need to limit. I have it in tea, but it does not trigger a reaction.

5 PM: Restriction is a bad idea. All I did was eat today.

Day 69 – Sunday, July 8, 2018: 214.8
Today is much better. I need to accept the weight that results from only restricting when I eat.

Day 70 – Monday, July 9, 2018: 215.0
I sincerely hope I have learned my lesson this time. The more I focus on creating rules for eating, the less I pay attention to what my body actually wants. The more I focus on rules for eating, the more I take advantage of eating everything that I am allowed under my self-created rules. If a candy bar is allowed, then I'll eat a candy bar! If a candy bar is not allowed, then I'll eat one when it is allowed!

Totally frustrating. I need to accept the weight that results from eating within my eating window.

Tomorrow, I leave for California to spend time with my mother. Weight management will not be on my to-do list.

12 PM: I ate a lot this morning because I was planning to eat in the morning anyway when getting together with a friend. As I was driving back, I thought this is ridiculous. I just need to decide to be healthy.

Day 71 – Tuesday, July 10, 2018:
I did not weigh myself today and will not be able to weigh myself again until Sunday. The Happy Scale app which I am using shows three periods of weight increase over the last year. I think I am in another one. I think that has to be OK. The slow weight loss also has to be OK. I need to "get a life" and focus on something else.

The nice thing about fasting is you can self-correct by simply going back to eating within your eating window if you veer outside of it as I did yesterday -- both before noon and after 7. Sure, there were reasons, especially when visiting with a friend. There were also excuses. I could have eaten relatively quickly last night but continued eating to 8:30. Really, does it matter? Any increase in weight from yesterday's food fest will be gone by the time I weigh myself on Sunday.

I need to not be so harsh on myself and just move on. The weight will come off in its own time if I just stick with the program. One thing I am realizing is that I am losing the fear of hunger and the fear of missing out in eating. I noticed that last night when I picked up Ellie from work, took her to a trombone lesson, and then stopped at McDonald's on the way home. She was starving. Not me. I was fine with not having had dinner before 7. That comes from eating so much yesterday but it also comes from what is built into fasting: you learn to manage to not eating the second you become hungry. What a terrible way to live: to feel as though you must eat now!

Day 76 – Sunday, July 15, 2018: 212.4
My Mom wanted me to have breakfast before I left for the airport yesterday, so I agreed. Her retirement community has a breakfast where you can order as many dishes as you want. Anticipating that I would not have lunch, I had Greek yogurt with blueberries, a pancake with syrup and butter, a two-egg omlette with mushrooms and Swiss cheese with a couple of slices of avocado on the side, and several cups of coffee with cream. It was quite an indulgence. When I got to the airport, my body revolted: it was too much of a change from my norm of eating nothing until noon. I went to the restroom twice in the airport and twice while on the plane. I had sparkling water on the plane and nothing for dinner. It is 10 AM, almost 24 hours later, and I have not yet eaten since that breakfast. I'm still not hungry.

Why? I speculated on why this morning while at church. Based on what I have read and been told by lpearlmom, I believe the mystery to why everyone suddenly got fat is our bodies stopped viewing fat as fuel because we limited how much fat we ate. Low fat diets led to a craving for sugar. Fat got stored. Further evidence of this theory is a cookbook, circa 1980, that I picked up from the library book sale for $1. Ingredients from the recipes include heavy cream, butter, and bacon. There is no reference to low fat anything.

Now my body is used to eating fat because of fasting, and it wants to get rid of the fat still in my body. I did discuss my diet with my mother, who told me I had no common sense and fasting was hurting my body. I told her I had concluded a long time a go that the defining characteristic of fat people is gullibility, and she said, "You are gullible." Yes, I am. I bought into the line: "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I also bought into calorie restriction. My mother pushed and pushed on switching back to skim milk because it has fewer calories. That advice sounds sensible. It's just plain wrong.

She thought I was losing weight way too slowly. I told her I feel like I am on the edge of a cliff, about to go over into becoming thin. I still feel that way. In fact, I wonder if I just went over the edge yesterday. This is very hard to explain, but it is almost as if my body has discovered a ready supply of fuel is right here in my body already. Why eat when fuel is readily available already?

Day 78– Tuesday, July 17, 2018:
The other night, I finished my tea with honey and then realized it was after 7 PM. Did I want to mark down that I had not stayed within my eating window? No. In fact, I think this approach to weight management benefits from benign neglect. The weight loss is so slow that it is better to focus on other things and just wait for my body to give up extra weight. It is hard to describe, but this is definitely a passive approach to weight management. I don't have to do anything. I just have to avoid eating except between 12 and 7 PM daily. What could be easier? No calorie counting. No measuring out food. No deciding a food is good or bad. I eat what appeals to me in the quantity that satisfies me. I do try to learn about what foods are good for you, and I do try to make meals that have these foods. For example, yesterday, I made a slow cooker coconut curry from allrecipes.com. It was well-received, surprisingly, even from my meat-eating husband.

Last week, I visited my mother who is very lonely since the death of my father. In addition to losing her life-long companion, she lost her job: her life was consumed with making sure my Dad had the best possible care.

We got into a discussion about finances. My brother is encouraging her to invest with a certain company who does ETFs. ETFs are a growth industry because they are similar to indexed funds but have enough complexity that the management company gets a much bigger cut of the action. Last year, I met with management companies about our own retirement and was shocked to learn that the industry standard is 2% of assets per year just to manage your money. On a million dollars in retirement money, that is about $20,000 or almost one full year's tuition for Katie at U of M. $20,000 per year for each million dollars of investment income. Whose retirement are they funding? Theirs or ours? What a scammy business.

My brother is trying to talk my mother into investing where the percentage is under 1%. I told her that is very competitive, but what I have done is put all my money into the Vanguard S&P 500 traditional index mutual fund. The cost is way under 1% -- about 1/8th of a percent. Yes, the stock market goes up and down, but over time, the Vanguard S&P 500 has delivered an average of 11% even including the stock market crash of 2008. Ellie is taking an online course in personal finance (required for high school), and she asked me what the impact on us was of the 2008 stock market crash. Nothing. I did not even look at our stock portfolio because we were not planning to touch it. At this point, even if there is a crash right when we retire, so what? We are way ahead having stuck with the Vanguard S&P 500.

Why am I going into great detail about this? Well, I have long thought that weight management, like savings, has to be really simple or you don't stick with it.

Management companies want to make investing look complicated because they benefit. Who benefits from making weight management look complicated? Look around. Nutritionists. Companies like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. Food companies that produce products like Lean Cuisine.

Who benefits from a simple approach like fasting? A few people who write books.

The bottom line is that a simple approach to saving money has paid off well with minimal effort. Even when I was working, it seemed like little effort because money went towards retirement through automatic withdrawal. I didn't see it because it did not end up in my checking account.

Fasting requires a similar level of effort. You get used to not having breakfast and not eating after dinner, just like I got used to money going towards retirement. I have experimented with different eating windows on different days but found it too complicated, just like trying to balance a portfolio makes things way complicated.

I'm settled now into fasting like I settled long ago into investing in the S&P 500. I did do a lot of research when I was trying to figure out how to invest. My philosophy is best described in this book: "Winning With The Market: Beat the Traders and Brokers in Good Times and Bad" by Douglas R. Sease, published in 2001.

With regard to weight management, I think the best description is in "AC: The Power of Appetite Correction" by Dr. Bert Herring, published in 2015. His biggest argument is "Fat is fuel." The fat in my body is fuel. My body, by eating all the time, had gotten out of the practice of accessing the fat in my body because of constant eating. There is a lot of information in the book on breaking plateaus and types of hunger, but the main takeaway from that book for me was that you can eat within a set window and eventually your appetite will be corrected because your body will learn to access fat. It's a simple concept with a simple plan of execution: just eat within a limited number of hours daily, if possible. I shake my head in disgust thinking of all the things I have tried, but I had two very counter-productive beliefs: "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and "Fat makes you fat."

No, fat does not make you fat. What makes you fat is your body learns to store fat instead of use it when you eat too much. If you fast, your body gets into the practice of accessing the fat in your body instead of craving sugar for immediate fuel. The most important line in Dr. Herring's book, at least to me, is this: "FAT IS FUEL."

I do need to put effort into being healthy, but the effort is for exercise. With exercise, I have to do something. I have not done fast walking since last Tuesday and need to go today.

Day 81 – Friday, July 20, 2018: 213.6
I had personal training with Kayla yesterday and told her I was just going to stick with this passive approach of fasting for weight management and then we discussed building on my baseline exercise program of 10,000 steps per day/ 3 days per week of fast walking a total of 6 minutes/ morning exercise routine to strengthen core. I also told her that I have gone down a cup size for my bras. This is working. It is easy.

I still am debating about weighing myself daily and decided to go ahead today.

Day 84 – Monday, July 23, 2018:
Well, weighing myself can result in a change in plans. The problem with this diet approach is that there are constant social reasons to eat outside the eating window, and the social situations that are particularly problematic are those that involve having breakfast. I had breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday.

Also, in the back of my mind, I was hoping I could put a weight under 200 on my driver's license when I renew in October. I am not on track to get there!

What to do? Well, I remember reading somewhere that a person used a restrictive eating window as a way to maintain weight but went to one meal a day to reduce weight. I think I'm going to try that except just have a window of 5 - 7 PM for days when I restrict. I can mark that down on my tracking sheet for exercise.

The downside of that approach is that I will be more likely to eat just before 7 on the day before the fast day. That happened yesterday on my way home from camp. I stopped at a McDonald's just before 7 to have a happy meal even though I was not hungry. That is in contrast to the last time I was driving home from camp on June 13.

That is OK. I am going to try this. My weight is way up after two days of eating from breakfast on, and I really feel it. That is also OK.

I did not weigh myself today and am not sure the next time I will weigh myself.

Day 85 – Tuesday, July 24, 2018: 214.6
I decided to weigh myself the morning after a fast day, which I now define as eating only between 5 PM and 7 PM. It was actually easy to fast yesterday. Maybe I was stuffed from how much I ate on Sunday.

I told Tom I am trying something really out there as a last attempt at improving my hearing. What I am doing is having a drink made of Ceylon cinnamon and Maruka honey once a day right at 5 if I am fasting. My years of following the bad medical advice of "low fat" is making me susceptible to trying unfounded theories from the Internet, since I am skeptical of medical certainties. I've tried a bunch of theories for hearing loss, and this is my last one. Cassia cinnamon can cause liver damage, so I placed an order of cinnamon sticks directly from Ceylon. Cassia cinnamon sticks and Ceylon cinnamon sticks look very different, so that is how I can be positive I have the right type. I will grind down the cinnamon sticks. The cinnamon sticks arrive tomorrow.

It is really scary to have such significant hearing loss because my father had significant dementia before he died, and hearing loss is strongly correlated to dementia. My mother attributes my father's dementia to his two strokes, but I am not so sure. His hearing loss started when he was about 60.

This is a much more significant issue to me than weight loss, which is why I just want a weight loss program I can follow and not have it occupy too much of my thoughts.

Day 87 – Thursday, July 26, 2018: 214.8
I ate a ton of food when we went out for dinner Tuesday night, and then I sailed through Wednesday not eating until 5 PM. Yesterday I debated about having fast days with a 5 - 7 PM eating window and decided that I could handle it but would only do it on days when other people don't notice. Yesterday was one such day, but I am up .2 pounds from two days ago because of how much I ate on Tuesday night. Am I upset with myself for how much I ate on Tuesday night? Nope. I wanted to make sure I could last to 5 PM not eating yesterday. Last night, I ate but not a ton and today I will fast until 5 PM. I think I will record fast days and try to stay within the 12 - 7 PM eating window on other days if socially possible. This weekend, we head back to camp to pick up Ellie on Saturday morning. It has been a super busy summer so far, and we will be gone every single weekend in August. Family first. I should not work until Ellie goes to college and Tom gets another job.

Day 88 – Friday, July 27, 2018: 214.0
I have now lost 12 pounds in about 14 months. The Happy Scale app tells me my overall rate of loss is .19 pounds per week. Not exciting.... I don't think I'm going to complicate my life by trying to have days when I start eating at 5 PM. Yesterday I tried it and didn't feel too great in the afternoon and then wolfed down a lot of food right at 5.

Day 91 – Monday, July 30, 2018: 214.4
I would not recommend the pizza at Itasca State Park, the park for the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Tom and I picked up Ellie from camp and took Katie and Ellie there. The pizza tasted good, but both of us felt sick afterwards.

We also got fudge. I remember the fudge from two years ago, when I ate an entire square. This time, I took a bite and did not like it. Then I took a bite of a different flavor and did not like it. I then turned to Tom and said, "This is why I think I will be successful losing weight. I did not enjoy the fudge."

Yesterday, I did enjoy the fudge and had a lot of sweets. Was I just sick on Saturday? No. I think it is more complicated than that. I think my taste in food is changing in waves just like my weight is changing in waves. I have to be patient. If I push myself to eat less than I want, this all will collapse. So far this month, I have been above 215 only once. I got below 215 about two years ago when I was sick for two days but that is the only time since before 2010 than I have been below 215. Soldier on... I need to be patient.

Day 92 – Tuesday, July 31, 2018: 214.8
Yesterday, I had my annual mammogram, and I also had my blood pressure tested with the average of six readings coming out as 151/97. What? I have consistently had 120/80 as my blood pressure readings, including most recently in May. Two possibilities come to mind: drinking coffee and having a mixture of Ceylon cinnamon and Maruka honey. I got the Ceylon cinnamon direct from Ceylon. When I was admitting this to Tom and Tommy, Tommy was very concerned I was going off the deep end with kooky ideas. Me too. I think the honey is OK but that cinnamon concerns me. So much for that.

Cringe. I have an idea of what I could do to improve my hearing. It's an exercise I hate even more than the fast walking. Fast walking is a part of my life because I have tested over and over again that I can wear my wedding ring if I do it and cannot wear my wedding ring if I don't do it. Now I get to test if this detestable exercise that I dropped years ago may help my hearing. It's stretches with bands. It takes two minutes.

Meanwhile, with regard to weight management, I just need to let my weight float down over time as I realize that I am not going to starve myself. I have better things to do than worry about weight.
Kathleen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting May 1, 2018

Weight
Day 93 – Wednesday, August 1, 2018: 214.6
47.25 - 44 - 47
Day 94 – Thursday, August 2, 2018:
Day 95 – Friday, August 3, 2018: 213.8
Day 96 – Saturday, August 4, 2018: 212.8
Day 97 – Sunday, August 5, 2018:
Day 98 – Monday, August 6, 2018:
Day 99 – Tuesday, August 7, 2018:
Day 100 – Wednesday, August 8, 2018:
Day 101 – Thursday, August 9, 2018:
Day 102 – Friday, August 10, 2018:
Day 103 – Saturday, August 11, 2018:
Day 104 – Sunday, August 12, 2018:
Day 105– Monday, August 13, 2018: 215.8
Day 106 – Tuesday, August 14, 2018: 214.8
Day 107 – Wednesday, August 15, 2018: 212.8
Day 108 – Thursday, August 16, 2018: 215.2
Day 109 – Friday, August 17, 2018: 215.0
Day 110 – Saturday, August 18, 2018: 215.2
Day 111 – Sunday, August 19, 2018: 212.6
Day 112 – Monday, August 20, 2018:
Day 113 – Tuesday, August 21, 2018: 213.6
Day 114 – Wednesday, August 22, 2018: 211.8
Day 115 – Thursday, August 23, 2018: 212.6
Day 116 – Friday, August 24, 2018:
Day 117 – Saturday, August 25, 2018:
Day 118 – Sunday, August 26, 2018:
Day 119 – Monday, August 27, 2018: 212.6
Day 120 – Tuesday, August 28, 2018: 212.8
Day 121 – Wednesday, August 29, 2018: 212.6
Day 1 – Thursday, August 30, 2018: 213.6
Day 2 – Friday, August 31, 2018: 211.0

Journal
Day 93 – Wednesday, August 1, 2018: 214.6
It is so frustrating to lose weight so slowly but I am locking in maximums. By that I mean my walking goal is 10,000 steps per day, my fast walking goal is 6 minutes three times per week, and my eating window is 12 - 7 PM. I've tested higher goals, and they don't work. For weight management, I am holding on to my cardinal rules of no restrictions except for time (I can eat anything I want and as much as I want). I may want to add writing down what I eat. If there are no restrictions, maybe that will work for me. I do track all our expenditures which keeps our expenses in line. This is similar.

Day 95 – Friday, August 3, 2018: 213.8
Writing down what I eat was a failure. I just don't want to do it. I do think I need to do something in addition to eating within an eating window, so I am going to try changing how I eat. For the next week, starting on Sunday, we will be on a houseboat in Northern Minnesota. It will be very relaxing. I think I may just try adding trying to sit down when eating, if possible. It will still be OK to try Costco taste tests when standing, but when I am home and eating, I need to put forth the effort to sit down. No more eating while standing in front of an open refrigerator.

Day 96 – Saturday, August 4, 2018: 212.8
Having to sit down to eat may be an effective strategy for my eating less willingly.

Day 107 – Wednesday, August 15, 2018: 215.8
OMG. I took a vacation! It's OK, though. I am reminded of what Frederick Douglass wrote about the break from Christmas to New Year's that slaves had every year. No work. Lots of food and alcohol. By the end of the time, some of the more self-indulgent slaves wanted to go back to the fields. This was written by a former slave! While I had only about a drink a day, I tend to go weeks without drinking. There were several days when I ate outside my eating window. We were on a boat and landed on areas with few to no hiking trails. It was hot. It was buggy. We mostly stayed in the houseboat and read or played games. I bet I walked less than 1,000 steps on some days, especially on that last day when the island was really small. We could swim, but I found the water too cold.

Was it fun? You betcha. It is somewhat disorienting returning to civilization. It was beautiful up there. The night sky was my favorite. We saw light from Mars reflected in the lake. My father, who died at age 92, saw light from Venus reflected in water twice in his life. I told the kids they saw something few have ever seen. Mars is closer to earth now than it has since 2003, and we were in a dark sky for sure.

Now what? Back to earth. I don't regret letting go one bit. I needed it. Medieval history was full of feasts and fasts, and I am thinking that is how man was meant to live. Constant, dull moderation leads to binges. A cycle of fast and feast regulates appetite. I suspect my weight will drop rather quickly, but we shall see. I don't think I'm going to add on more rules like sitting down to eat when possible.

Fasting depresses appetite. I need to stay with the plan.

Day 106 – Tuesday, August 14, 2018: 214.8
I did not fast walk yesterday but will try to do so today. Yesterday, I was about 11,000 steps and told Tom that I may have walked a total of 11,000 steps all last week when we were on the houseboat! My body desires to return to being more active, which is good! Acorns need to be shoveled off the driveway today.

Day 107 – Wednesday, August 15, 2018: 212.8
I have my monthly half hour of personal training with Kayla today, and I think I'm going to focus on posture. It is frustrating that I am losing weight so slowly, but I am losing weight. My BMI just went below 35 which is the line between obese and super obese. I also have no concerns about regaining the weight because every day for seven hours I have unrestricted access to food -- anything I want and as much of it as I want. It's time to focus on something else and let my weight drift down. This approach of fast 17 hours and eat 7 hours is the exact opposite of the idea of portion control and moderate eating.

I have a book called Misguided Medicine which is a chapter by chapter list of some of the major medical mistakes of the past decade or two. It is mostly focused on nutrition. Examples: Margarine was worse than butter. Canola oil has a low smoke point and so is a poor choice for cooking oil. At the end of the book, the author brings up Laocoon, who warned his city that that Trojan horse might not be such a good thing to bring into the city by saying, "I fear Greeks, even those bearing gifts." The gods punished Laocoon by sending sea serpents to drown him and his two sons, and so he did not live to see Greek soldiers exit the hollow Trojan horse to take the city. There is a famous statue of the Laocoon and his two sons being drowned, and I inherited a replica of it from my father, who was like "a bull in a china shop" and got fired a few times in his life.

All those well meaning diets to restrict eating work for a time. Like Laocoon, some of the authors of the fasting approach to weight management are not well respected, but respect will come with results.

The height of foolishness is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. I finally have found a different approach which works and just need time to see the end result.

My focus will now be on hearing loss. I tried a combination of cinnamon and honey which did not improve hearing but seems to have shot my normally low blood pressure (121/80 in May) into dangerous territory (151/97 in July), but I stopped with that experiment and now am back to fairly good blood pressure of 113/85. I hope it returns to normal in a couple of weeks.

No, now my goal is good posture with the hope that it improves my hearing. My father had both poor posture and hearing loss. That is a correlation. It does not prove that poor posture causes hearing loss, and it certainly does not indicate that an improvement in posture will result in better hearing, but that is the experiment I am going to do. If my hearing does not improve, at least I will have better posture.

My theory is that poor posture reduces blood circulation into the head which results in poor hearing. I have the advantage of no biology since high school which means I can come up with theories that may be way off track but may be ones that trained scientists may not have.

Going forward, however, I won't try experiments unless they are proven to provide benefits even if they do not improve hearing.

2 PM: My conversation with Kayla this morning gave me this insight: for most people, you cannot be fat if you fast. I have thought about this possibility before because I remember how much disdain folks had towards clergy who were fat. If they were fat, they were not keeping the religious fasts. Why do I think this? I hit a limit in eating if I fast. It's not that I choose not to eat. It's that I cannot eat. If I go past that limit, I end up feeling sick. When in the past have I felt sick from overeating? Hmmm.. I cannot recall.

Day 108 – Thursday, August 16, 2018: 215.2
I decided to just have soup for dinner and that backfired with a lot of eating at about 9. Dumb. I have to commit to letting my weight drift down. This is a passive activity. My sole responsibility is to try to eat only between noon and 7 PM each day. The results will come. They already have come. I just have to be patient.

I entertained Kayla yesterday by telling her that Tom was smirking about my very slow weight loss. I told him that I put my high school weight of 132 in my weight loss app and got the calculation that I would get there in 2028.

She laughed. She said 132 might be a little low. I told her that it doesn't matter what weight I put in my app because I don't have a weight goal. My goal is a process goal, a behavior goal: eating between noon and 7 PM daily. I have to let go.

It wasn't lack of control that made me obese. It was too much control. My body rebelled.

Day 110 – Saturday, August 18, 2018: 215.2
Reality. I am not losing weight fast enough. Period. I guess it took time for me to face reality. What can I do differently? What can I do in addition to fasting? I am going to add in my SET habits:
Sit down to eat.
Eat without distraction.
Take a sip between bites.

I did try to follow these habits at the same time that I started fasting, and that was unworkable: it was too much. Now that I am set in fasting, I'll add the SET habits.

I detest them. I have had to face they are necessary. For some reason, taking a sip between bites, in particular, affects how much I can eat.

Can I manage even if I detest following them? Yes. I have told Kayla many times how much I hate to sweat, hate to do that fast walking. What I have done is commit to fast walking 3 times per week in the morning so I can go home and bathe right away. It works. Part of the reason why it works is I also am committed to never doing more than six minutes or more than three times per week.

Kayla told me it is surprising I have a personal trainer given how much I hate to exercise. Sure. I hate to exercise, but I hate more not being able to wear my wedding ring. It's all a matter of choices. A little pain is worth the gain.

This little pain of following the SET habits is also doable. Calorie counting is not a long term strategy because almost no one can override the body's natural desire to survive. No, this is what I need to do. I can do it now that I realize it is my path out of obesity.

Day 111 – Sunday, August 19, 2018: 212.6
Taking a sip between bites really works. I actually started eating yesterday at 9 AM as a way to ease myself into adding these three habits, but I must say that taking a sip between bites is the most important of the three habits.
Today will be an easy day for me. I'm driving about four hours to pick up Katie. Later this week, we drive down to Indiana for a college visit and to see Anne and Tony. Katie is home just two weeks before she goes to Spain. We then flip into fall where I will be bored out of my mind, but I'm making a conscious decision to stick with this approach of an eating window 12 - 7 PM daily and the SET habits. I can evaluate in January.

The idea of taking a sip between bites, by the way, came from a book called The Weigh Down Diet which mostly was about going to God to help you with your food addiction and waiting for a stomach growl before you eat. I remember trying it the summer before I started on No S, which was 2008. It was the worst diet ever. I actually gained weight. My stomach would growl at odd times and then I would feel a compulsion to eat as much as I could because I would have to wait for another stomach growl before I could eat again. I called it "The Hunger Satisfaction Diet" and it was anything but. It led to binge eating that was unusually intense even by my standards. What I did later was consider the possibility that there was something in that book that did help people lose weight. I went back and read through it and found two habits that the author wanted the dieter to form: one was to take a sip between bites and the other was to cut your food in half, eat half, and then evaluate if you are still hungry. I have previously tried taking a sip between bites, but it was a pain especially for eating ice cream. Now I think that I'll just follow this habit when appropriate. It would destroy the experience of eating popsicles or ice cream if I tried to take a sip of a liquid between bites, but I can take a sip between bites for most foods. My tendency to absolutes defeated me. "Good enough" will work for me in following these habits.

9 PM: I started eating at 9:30 AM. It's hard enough for me to add these SET habits without also sticking to a noon to 7 PM eating window. I'll gradually return my eating window to noon to 7 PM.

Day 113 – Tuesday, August 21, 2018: 213.6
I managed to follow the SET habits yesterday but started eating at 9. It's time to return to my noon to 7 PM eating window.

Day 114 – Wednesday, August 22, 2018: 211.8
Yesterday, I had to get Katie to the dentist at 1 so I ate just before noon, and I had to be present with Ellie at an hour-long chemical awareness presentation at the high school from 6 - 7 PM, so we did not eat until 7:30 - 8. I am adjusting back fairly quickly to my eating window now that I am getting used to my SET habits, and those habits do seem to be having an impact on my appetite. It is very odd. I have no idea why taking a sip between bites would have any effect except to slow down eating, but it seems to have even more of an impact than that. Because I was rushing around with Katie on errands she needs to do before she goes to Spain, I did have limited time to eat and maybe that is part of the reason why I did not eat as much. This morning, however, I am not hungry like I can be sometimes when a schedule problem resulted in my eating too little on the previous day.

Our trip to Indiana tomorrow through Sunday night is our last scheduled trip. This has been a hectic summer, and then suddenly in two weeks it will just be Tom, Ellie and me. Ellie is a senior applying to colleges, but she is only applying to two. One is in Indiana, and we are visiting on Friday before we go see Tony and Anne in Bloomington. The rest of the semester should be quiet and uneventful for me.

Of course, Tom is on the way out on his job and has surgery next week. You never know what is around the corner. I am happy he is saying he needs to leave the job because of his health. I have long advocated for a job at Home Depot than one that requires weekly travel and long hours. Poverty is to be preferred to death, and the economy is doing well.

You have to choose. Those were the most memorable words from a professor during my college years.

With dieting, I have chosen intermittent fasting and now am supplementing it with the SET habits. Intermittent fasting, like fast walking, is set. The SET habits are still an experiment.

Day 119 – Monday, August 27, 2018: 212.6
This diet is as difficult as watching paint dry. I do think that taking a sip between bites of food is key, and I have had to remind myself to do just that. Results will be slow but permanent. I am going to do my best to not pay much attending to my weight and just record it.

8 PM: Ugh. I started eating at 11:30 AM out of convenience because I had to drive Tom to the shuttle, and I decided not to take sips between bites. I felt really lousy later in the day. In fact, I'm about to go to bed.

It's amazing how quickly my body got used to taking a sip between bites. Why in the world would this make such a big difference? I have no idea.

Day 120 – Tuesday, August 28, 2018: 212.8
I do not understand why it is so effective to take a sip between bites, but I do not think the effectiveness is due to slowing down eating. Somehow, the digestion process is different. It's not for me to figure out why this works. I just need to follow this habit. I do also try to sit down when eating and eat without distraction, but it is the habit of taking a sip between bites that seems to be so effective.

What I have learned with eating in the morning is I can eat breakfast once and there is no negative impact, but when I eat twice it is hard to return to skipping breakfast. What I have learned with fast walking is I can skip fast walking once but not twice. Because of our trip last week, I returned to fast walking by walking only 2 minutes yesterday. Tomorrow I will fast walk 4 minutes. Then by Friday I will be able to return to my standard of 6 minutes.

What I learned yesterday is there are immediate negative effects of not sipping between bites once your body has become accustomed to it.

Live and learn. Maybe I should say that this is what I have learned about my body. This may not be true for everyone.

Day 121 – Wednesday, August 29, 2018: 212.6
I took a pause yesterday to consider whether I really wanted to build a habit of taking a sip between bites or if I just wanted to stick with intermittent fasting. Yesterday, I did not take sips between bites. Why? Like with intermittent fasting, building a strong habit means becoming uncomfortable not following it. With intermittent fasting, I now don't like to eat in the morning: it feels weird. With taking a sip between bites, the experience of eating is different. I'm still not clear on why that is. What I do know is my body reacted negatively to not taking a sip between bites after I had just done it consistently for a few days. Do I really want to go down that path of building this habit that is difficult to break once it has been formed?

Well, here I am, sitting at the computer in my nightgown preparing to dress and go to the gym to do four minutes of fast walking. Do I like it? No. I detest it. However, I see clear indications that I can wear my wedding ring only if I do it. A few days ago, I had to take off my wedding ring because my finger hurt, and that was only after a week-long break from fast walking due to travel last week. This may sound absurd, but our pediatrician said that it may be that my ring finger is smaller because exercise improves circulation. That sounds plausible and is a compelling reason to have (3 X up to 40 minutes per week of misery) per week. I probably could wear the ring if I just lost enough weight, but the exercise must be improving my overall health to enough of an extent that I'm willing to do it. Wearing the wedding ring is a symptom of better health -- plus then Tom doesn't get to tease me about having it off like he did two days ago.

Why is sipping so effective? No idea. It is. I'm going to commit to sipping between bites for the next month. Maybe what I can do is sip between bites until October 1 and continue if I am below 205 by then. Or maybe I can sip between bites when I want to lose weight and not do that when I just want to maintain. For now, I'll stick with sipping between bites until October 1.

I just found my compelling reason. My birthday is October 23. I need to renew my driver's license by then. I wanted my weight to be below 200 by then but that isn't going to happen. Now I'll just aim for getting it as low as possible. I will sip away! And now to the gym...

10 PM: I considered just sipping between bites and not worrying about sitting down to eat or eating without distraction. It totally fell apart. I needed to be mindful in order to take sips between bites.

I need to get back on track.

Day 122 – Thursday, August 30, 2018: 213.6
The real difficulty here is in making a decision. I have agonized over every health decision and found implementation easier once the decision has been made. It's easy to wear a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps per day. It's easy to skip breakfast. It's a pain but at least a limited pain to do fast walking 3 times per week. Now I am stepping up to the plate to commit to the SET habits which seem to be all of a set. I cannot do one without the others. Taking a sip between bites requires a certain amount of mindfulness.

I'm sick of being fat, but my real objective is to come up with an approach that my kids can follow -- to save them the frustration and time I have endured with my own weight problem. Calorie counting is not a recommended approach given that criteria!

Day 2 – Friday, August 31, 2018: 211.0
Yesterday was a Day 1, and I didn't even realize it. I got a memento, however: the store where we got our wedding rings is closing its doors, and yesterday I got an 18" 14K white gold chain for $330. That was quite a splurge because I had already gotten a 20" 14K white gold chain and a 24" gold chain in the last two weeks! The chains were so heavily discounted that it was worth it. In 25 years of marriage, I probably had spent less than $2,000 on jewelry. I love wearing pendants, so having really good chains is great. I already had a 18" gold chain from when I was single.

What does this have to do with my diet? Well, I think I'm going to start dressing better. I almost have a uniform of Costco jeans and Lands End polo shirts and, for the summer, Chacos. I'm not yet ready to upgrade my clothing, but I'm happy to have invested in jewelry.

This despite Tom knowing he cannot stay at his job. We have a lot of money in savings, I am cheap, and Tom had no problem with my asking about buying expensive jewelry.

This, by the way, is an example of my self-discipline. I do not have a problem with self-discipline. That is not why I am fat. I am fat because I followed advice that triggered my body's survival mechanism.

Last edited by Kathleen on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm; edited 35 times in total
automatedeating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathleen --
I wonder if you could ask your doctor to test your fasting insulin levels? That might help determine if your body is just extremely insulin resistant.
If that is the case, perhaps your doctor would discuss a medication such as metformin to help aid your weight loss. It might be worth a try.
Hang in there.
Kathleen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi automated eating,

I have a theory that it is better to die naturally. Did you know that the average number of prescription medications is supposed to be one per decade? I am approaching 60 which means I should be up to 6 prescription medications. My number: zero.

It seems to me that medical care has been corrupted by the fact that labor costs are so high and the cost to make one additional pill (marginal cost) is so low. Dr. Jason Fung, who has written books on diabetes and obesity, argues that metformin masks and exacerbates the problem of high blood glucose.

I do have blood work done every year and am not even pre-diabetic. I'm not sure what my problem is but doubt medication can solve it.

It's always helpful to get ideas from others because I do seem somewhat stuck, but I'll pass on metformin as an idea. Thanks,

Kathleen
Strawberry Roan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathleen, just wanted to stop by and wish you well. It looks to me like you might be resetting your set point toward the lower 200 end. Yay you! Very Happy
automatedeating

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of Jason Fung's books is that he doesn't think metformin is either bad or good (as opposed to taking insulin for type II diabetes, which yes, he and I both agree it exacerbates the problem). He just thinks there's no need for it with low carb and intermittent fasting.

Many people can be insulin resistant and have normal fasting blood sugars. That resistance makes it difficult for them to lose weight. Fasting insulin is not a normal test - you have to ask for it.

I had it done and I learned that I am mildly insulin resistant. I certainly have no intention of taking meds either, lol, so you and I are on the same page. I was just trying to brainstorm what I might consider if I were in your shoes. What the results have done is help me come to terms with the need to moderate my carbs. I am not able to eat a high carb diet like many of my healthy friends. Now I understand a little more why, and it helps strengthen my resolve to make healthy food choices for myself.
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi automatedeating,
I had thought insulin resistance is the same as fasting glucose. As I told my personal trainer, my ideas are unencumbered by a knowledge of biology!
Kathleen
Kathleen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 1, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting September 9, 2018 at 215.0 pounds

Weight
Day 3 – Saturday, September 1, 2018: 212.2
47-43.5-47
Day 4 – Sunday, September 2, 2018: 212.6
Day 5 – Monday, September 3, 2018: 213.4
Day 1 – Tuesday, September 4, 2018: 214.6
Day 2 – Wednesday, September 5, 2018: 214.6
Day 3 – Thursday, September 6, 2018: 213.8
Day 4 – Friday, September 7, 2018: 213.0
Day 5 – Saturday, September 8, 2018: 212.8

Day 1 – Sunday, September 9, 2018: 215.0
Day 2 – Monday, September 10, 2018:
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 11, 2018: 214.6
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 12, 2018:
Day 5 – Thursday, September 13, 2018: 214.8
Day 6 – Friday, September 14, 2018: 211.0
Day 7 – Saturday, September 15, 2018: 212.8
Day 8 – Sunday, September 16, 2018: 212.4
Day 9 – Monday, September 17, 2018: 214.2
Day 10 – Tuesday, September 18, 2018: 213.4
Day 11 – Wednesday, September 19, 2018: 214.6
Day 12 – Thursday, September 20, 2018: 210.0
Day 13 – Friday, September 21, 2018: 207.8
Day 14 – Saturday, September 22, 2018:
Day 15 – Sunday, September 23, 2018:
Day 16 – Monday, September 24, 2018: 213.2
Day 17 – Tuesday, September 25, 2018: 213.4
Day 18 – Wednesday, September 26, 2018: 211.8
Day 19 – Thursday, September 27, 2018: 212.0
Day 20 – Friday, September 28, 2018: 212.8
Day 21 – Saturday, September 29, 2018:
Day 22 – Sunday, September 30, 2018:

Journal
Day 3 – Saturday, September 1, 2018: 212.2
An hourglass figure! I laugh because I had a perfect 36-24-36 figure. Those days are gone. My little weight tracking app gives you information on how long it will take you to get to a certain weight based on your expected weight loss per week. I told Tom I will be back to my high school weight in 8 years. He snickered!

It still is not evident to anyone but me that I have lost weight, but I am definitely beginning to feel it. It feels good.

Now that I have decided to take a sip between bites, it seems silly that I debated about doing it. It's easy to do. It will help me to lose weight. I think I am just going to set this course until January and see where I am then before making any other decisions about weight loss habits.

Day 4 – Sunday, September 2, 2018: 212.6
I think my best plan now is just to follow through on my commitments and not pay too much attention to my weight. It is not all that difficult to follow the SET habits. No one has noticed that I am eating any differently.

Day 5 – Monday, September 3, 2018: 213.4
The SET habits were a detour. I suddenly found myself wanting to eat more, perhaps because I was overcoming an obstacle to eating which is taking sips between bites. I do not understand. I just recognize this is not the way to go.

Day 1 – Tuesday, September 4, 2018: 214.6
What did I learn? It's all diet backlash. Any effort to control my eating is a problem.

I have wondered if my weight problem is wholly spiritual, and now I realize it is. It has to do with my being too much on edge about everything, not trusting.

Things can go wrong in life. Things can go terribly wrong in life. Preparing too much can be as bad as preparing too little.

I think that may be the case with my eating. I so avoid starvation that I am obese.

Should I stop fasting? No. I have come to appreciate that fasting is good for me independent of weight loss. How about fast walking? No. I detest it, but it is also good for me. It's good to sweat. What else? 10,000 steps per day? Also good for me. Also enjoyable. Daily strengthening exercises?
Good for me. Learning to cook? Good for our family.

I have built, habit by habit, a lifestyle that is good for my health. Now I realize that my tendency to worry, my tendency to over-prepare, is the root cause of my obesity.

Well, at least I learned. It took a long time to learn, and the funny thing is it was right in the Bible, right in the reading at my father's Mass back on June 23.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?'
or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil."

Day 1 – Friday, September 14, 2018: 211.0
It was heartbreaking to see 215.0 again on September 9, one day and ten years after I started tracking my weight here. My weight on September 8, 2008? 215.0.

I have noticed, over the years, that I sometimes make a commitment to follow a plan permanently because I have had some success and then plateaued. That commitment often is followed quickly by a change in plan.

This happened here. My driver's license has to be renewed next month, and I expected to be below 200 by then. On Sunday, I was at 215. Unacceptable. What to do? I looked back and saw that, really, my long term weight loss was due to a sickness in December and fasting before a colonoscopy in June. I decided to add three day water fasts as a way to lose weight and then just eat within a 12 - 7 PM window daily for maintenance.

To be honest, I often do not eat within that window because there are just too many social exceptions. A complete fast for three straight days is easier to manage socially than is a consistent 12 - 7 PM window.

I started my first three day fast yesterday. I have a memento from that day. The jewelry store where we bought our wedding rings is closing on Saturday, and I've been in there buying close out jewelry. Last week I spotted a pearl necklace. I told Tom that it would be ridiculous to buy the pearl necklace. Apparently, I told him many times how ridiculous it would be because he told me to go buy it. $817. And totally ridiculous.

Am I glad I bought it? Ellie asked me that question. Yes. It's beautiful. I just never imagined we could afford for me to have a real pearl necklace.

I think we are partially suffering from paid off the mortgage syndrome. Suddenly, we have a lot more money. That pearl necklace was less than our mortgage would have been.

In a way, weight set point is like a financial set point. When you lose weight, you need to psychologically adjust to a lower weight, just like we need to psychologically adjust to more disposable income. It was a ridiculous purchase, but I am really happy to have made it!

Day 7 – Saturday, September 15, 2018: 212.8
I had personal training on Thursday. Our focus has become posture, since I am hoping that correcting forward head posture will help with hearing loss. Anyway, I told Kayla of my plan to fast for three straight days, and she brought up that people with intermittent fasting often fast once a week for 24 hours. I thought about that and decided maybe I could just fast for one full day and then return to the 12 - 7 PM eating window the following day. That's what I ended up doing. I did not eat on Thursday and then ate within the 12 - 7 PM window yesterday.

Day 8 – Sunday, September 16, 2018: 212.4
There was an unfortunate cascade effect with fasting on Thursday to Friday noon. I did not do fast walking on Friday and had plans on Saturday morning so I ended up having to fast walk this morning. Tom and Ellie went to church. I'll need to go tonight.

Again last night, I suddenly felt as though I had no appetite. I keep on thinking that the long-term result of allowing myself to eat as much as I want of anything I want is my appetite will decrease because my body is no longer insisting on being overstuffed against the imminent move to starvation (dieting). What I had expected was a gradual shift. Instead, what I am seeing is sudden shifts in and out of the desire to eat.

I still feel no hunger whatsoever even though I did fast walking this morning (up to 6 minutes 15 seconds in 35 minutes) and have not eaten since last night.

If this lack of appetite continues, maybe I can just have the 12 - 7 PM eating window and skip the all day Thursday fast. If history is an indication, I'll revert back to my normal appetite which keeps me above 200 pounds. My appetite is like the stock market with big swings. Maybe that is reality.

Day 9 – Monday, September 17, 2018: 214.2
Not happy. I think I need multi-day fasts. They are not difficult. I just did not want to do them. They do mess up fast walking because I don't want to do fast walking when doing multi-day fasts. For many years, I kept my weight under control by going on what I called my Novena Dieting, eating no more than 1,000 calories per day for nine straight days. I absolutely detested doing it and was grumpy the whole time. Fasting is easier.

Day 10 – Tuesday, September 18, 2018: 213.4
A friend saved me from my foolishness by suggesting we have lunch today. The problem with multi-day fasts is you cannot do them every day; you have to plan for them, and social occasions can disrupt them. With a daily fast, it is just fine if you break it because you can do it the next day. I have to remind myself that diets caused my obesity, so they are not going to cure my obesity. Daily fasting is easy and simple. There is also no fear of diet backlash because I can eat anything I want as as much as I want every single day.

Day 12 – Thursday, September 20, 2018: 210.0
Last night, Tom and I watched "The Way", a movie about the Camino de Santiago, which is an old pilgrimage route in Spain that became popular in the last twenty years and was made even more popular by this movie. We watched it because Katie decided to take ten days to walk about 110 km. The end point is a cathedral which tradition says is the burial place of St. James, one of the twelve apostles.

One idea conveyed by the movie is that everyone may walk the same path but the journey is very different. That is so true of losing weight as well. We each have our own path.

I subscribe to a Facebook group on intermittent fasting (Delay, Don't Deny) and see all these before and after pictures of people who do daily fasting and lose tons of weight. Not me. I have concluded that I am only going to lose weight with multi-day fasts.

What I worked out yesterday is that I can avoid the unpleasant pitfall of always feeling like I should be scheduling my next multi-day fast. With daily fasting, I learned the hard way that it does not work for me to count the number of hours of a fast or adjust the eating window based on social or other constraints. Instead, I try to eat within a set 12 - 7 PM eating window and, if I don't make it that day, oh well.. no big deal. I'm taking a similar approach with multi-day fasting: two multi-day fasts per month and, if I don't make it that fast period, oh well...no big deal.

How can this same approach help with multi-day fasts? I ended up deciding, after I started this particular fast, that I can keep to a schedule of fasting three days (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) twice per month in the months in which the Saturday after the Friday fast is the first or third Saturday of the month. That approach has the advantage of avoiding our standard second Saturday of the month breakfast with other couples, avoids Saturday night fasting altogether, and avoids Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

What if there is something important going on with a Wednesday night? Fine. That ends the long fast for that particular time. I don't try to restart the following Wednesday. I just wait for the next scheduled time. These are very clear boundaries and provide at least 10 days between fasts. I may well end up just deciding on a monthly three day fast but will start out with this. It may turn out there are lots of times when I have to end my multi-day fasts, so having two scheduled per month is a key to success. My three day fast this week is not going to be interrupted because only Tom is home tonight and tomorrow we leave to visit his home town. We'll see his relatives on Saturday, and I can start eating at noon. The only problem is my willingness to persist.

Yesterday was easy. I sailed through the day with no problem. I have found that Day 1 is a cinch. Maybe the reason why it is so easy is that I am accustomed to waiting until noon to eat anyway. Day 2, I have found, is not so easy, so I need to arrange my schedule to take it easy. Today I let Ellie take the car. I am housebound and it is raining outside. All I can do is housework and cooking, and I made sure I had the ingredients for tonight's dinner.

I got up late today because Ellie took the car -- got up at 8 AM instead of 6 AM -- which is at least part of the reason why my weight is the lowest in many years at 210.0. Part of the ridiculous reason why I want to lose weight now and not allow a gradual weight loss is my driver's license renews in late October. My weight on my current driver's license is 220, and I am determined that my weight on my new driver's license will be below 200. It is going to be 198. Period. Did I fudge the truth on the last license? Yes, by perhaps 5 pounds. I'm willing to fudge the truth again but not by 12 pounds. My weight is going to go down in this next month. Period.

Day 13 – Friday, September 21, 2018: 207.8
Last night was a little uncomfortable because our niece showed up at dinnertime. She could not get home due to flooding, so we had her for dinner -- only I did not eat!

Last night, I had some difficulty sleeping and this morning, after I took a bath, I felt lightheaded. That was it. End of fast. Since then, I have eaten a ton. I now do feel satisfied, but it took a lot of food to satisfy me. I even went out and got a doughnut!

What next? I think it may be more realistic for me to have two rather than three day fasts every other week. Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days for fasting.

Live and learn. Experiment. Persist.

Day 16 – Monday, September 24, 2018: 213.2
What a flame out. I remember reading somewhere that people successful at losing weight usually focused on improving health rather than losing weight. Why would that be? Well, if you restrict too much, you can end up with a case of diet backlash. I am sick to death of this and willing to stick with my 12 - 7 PM eating window.

The two day fast really messed up my eating. I ate a ton over the weekend and did not exercise much. I skipped fast walking on Friday. This morning, I could only muster 2 minutes of fast walking. Pathetic.

Maybe lesson learned. I'm tired of learning the same lesson over and over again that I need to let go of my weight as an issue.

Day 17 – Tuesday, September 25, 2018: 213.4
I woke up in the night and felt surprisingly calm about all of this. Maybe I have finally decided to let go of my weight. My body will find its own set point if I just stick with a 7 hour eating window when convenient. I have to trust this is the case even if it takes years and years and I die still overweight. I need to calm down about my weight. That is the bottom line.

Day 19 – Thursday, September 27, 2018: 212.0
I hope that I have finally learned the tough lesson that I cannot rush this process and need to accept the results that follow from following the process. I suffer from diet backlash if I try to control what I eat or how much I eat. I even suffer from diet backlash if I extend my fast. I am so sick of this that I am done done done. Whatever weight results from what I am doing is what I will accept. That means, for the moment, that I have to accept a weight above 200 on my driver's license for the next four years.

Day 20 – Friday, September 28, 2018: 212.8
My weight fluctuates within a tight range of just a few pounds, but the fasting is reducing the weight slowly over time. I have to be patient. Fasting for longer periods of time just rings alarm bells in my body and/or my mind, and now I am having to wait out the alarm bells so that my weight can again gradually go lower. This is a long process. It's frustrating. The good news is I do not have to worry about diet backlash. It is 11:26 am right now, and I can eat anything I want for 7 hours starting in 30 minutes. Why would there be diet backlash? There is unrestricted eating every single day.

Day 22 – Sunday, September 30, 2018:
Last night, we went to a bar for dinner before the Twins game, and I had chicken pot pie with Irish coffee. I finished most of the coffee but only got halfway through the chicken pot pie. I was full. When did I ever get full when I was dieting?

I realized since then that I need to give up the idea of losing weight and just allow my body to eat whatever it wants within my eating window until it adjusts to the weight it wants, the weight that is best for it. It's hard to explain this mind-body dichotomy, but in essence it means that I eat what I want and as much as I want until my body has optimized its pleasure.

Looking back to when I started the No S Diet, which my kids promptly called The Peanut Cluster Diet, I immediately emptied the local grocery store of chocolate covered peanut clusters, a food I had denied myself for years.

My body is desiring excess food less and less as it trusts that I will eat what I want.

Last edited by Kathleen on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kathleen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 1, 2018: The Blessings of Simplicity starting October 17, 2018 at 215.8 pounds

Weight
Day 23 – Monday, October 1, 2018: 213.2
48-43-47
Day 24 – Tuesday, October 2, 2018:

Day 1 – Wednesday, October 3, 2081: 215.0
Day 2 – Thursday, October 4, 2018: 213.4
Day 3 – Friday, October 5, 2018: 214.8
Day 4 – Saturday, October 6, 2018:
Day 5 – Sunday, October 7, 2018:

Day 1 – Monday, October 8, 2018: 215.0
Day 2 – Tuesday, October 9, 2018: 214.6
Day 3 – Wednesday, October 10, 2018:
Day 4 – Thursday, October 11, 2018: 216.0
Day 5 – Friday, October 12, 2018: 215.2
Day 6 – Saturday, October 13, 2018: 214.6
Day 7 – Sunday, October 14, 2018: 215.4
Day 8 – Monday, October 15, 2018: 213.4
Day 9 – Tuesday, October 16, 2018: 214.4

Day 1 – Wednesday, October 17, 2018: 215.8
Day 2 – Thursday, October 18, 2018:
Day 3 – Friday, October 19, 2018: 213.4
Day 4 – Saturday, October 20, 2018: 212.6
Day 5 – Sunday, October 21, 2018:
Day 6 – Monday, October 22, 2018:
Day 7 – Tuesday, October 23, 2018:
Day 8 – Wednesday, October 24, 2018:
Day 9 – Thursday, October 25, 2018:
Day 10 – Friday, October 26, 2018:
Day 11 – Saturday, October 27, 2018:
Day 12 – Sunday, October 28, 2018:
Day 13 – Monday, October 29, 2018:
Day 14 – Tuesday, October 30, 2018:
Day 15 – Wednesday, October 31, 2018:

Journal
Day 23 – Monday, October 1, 2018: 213.2
I decided to fast until 1 on weekdays. Jason Fung and Mark Mattson both fast until dinner on weekdays. Bert Herring fasts except for four hours daily. I did not want to fast past lunch for social reasons, but I guess I need to do exactly that.

Day 1 – Wednesday, October 3, 2081: 215.0
This is a note to my future self.

What happened?

1. I decided I should be below 200 pounds or at least close to that weight so I could put 198 on my driver's license when I renew it later this month.

2. I fiddled with shortening my eating window.

3. I decided to go back to counting calories, resorting to my old favorite of counting 1000 calories/day for nine days.

4. Yesterday, I went to Target and purchased some food that gave exact calories, including soft pretzels and Progresso soup. I made hard boiled eggs.

5. At noon, I started eating, starting with the soft pretzel, then the soup, then a hard-boiled egg. At that point, I took the dogs for a walk (we are taking care of my brother in law's dog). I lasted until 3 when the predictable happened: I ate and ate and ate. I started with popcorn but moved to Toll House cookies.

5. Last night, I could not even eat dinner I was so stuffed.

6. This morning, I got up and felt terrible. It was quite fitting that I had 215.0 on the scale. It was a day for fast walking, and I went. At 3:15 of fast walking, I felt like I could throw up. I slowed down and eventually made it to 5 minutes of fast walking.

7. Now I sit, typing and thinking.

What was the start? The start was having a weight goal.

I need to give up any expectation of a weight and just try to eat within an eating window of 12 - 7 PM. Period. Fiddling with the length of the eating window is just a precursor to trying calorie counting.

There is a reason for the 12 - 7 PM eating window. Usually, lunch is at around noon. Dinner is often as late as 6:30 PM. This approach is easy peasy.

My focus should be on increasing exercising, if anything, but fiddling with eating is just a dead end.

"Some things are best learned the hard way." That is my favorite saying for parenting. Katie asked us to pay for water she buys in Spain because drinking water is not potable. We paid for everything except spending money. We told her that the cost of her study abroad amounts to $200/day, but she needs to make the choice of whether she will pay for water. We told her she had to have earned at least $5,000 for spending money before going to Spain. It would be a foolish choice if she risked drinking water that is not considered to be potable, but we won't pay for her to avoid making that mistake.

When I decide to try dieting again, I need to remind myself that some choices look more obviously foolish to others than to self. My sister used to call Katie "Aunt Patti's revenge" because Katie is so much like me. Well, I hope Katie takes our advice to not drink tap water in Spain. I hope my future self takes my advice to not diet again -- ever, to not fiddle with the eating window -- ever.

Fiddle with the exercise routine.

Above all, accept the weight that results from eating whatever I want and as much of it as I want between 12 and 7 PM.

7:30 PM: I ate a lot today again and had a small dinner because I was full. This stupid move to diet set me back. Dieting is the problem, not the solution. I've known that for years. I have returned to fasting. I will be back in a month. There is no need for me to record day to day activities because I am so done with making changes to my eating. So done.

Day 1 – Monday, October 8, 2018: 215.0
Katie is taking a week off school to walk part of the Camino, and she wants me to go with her next May to walk it with her. It would be a blast: part of the old pilgrimage route, beautiful country, walking, history... Problem: I'm not in shape. Tom thought it was a great idea. He wants me to get in shape.

I thought I was in shape. I average probably 9,000 steps per day, which includes some steps of fast walking. Yesterday, I learned differently. I went on a 2.5 mile walk with him and came back exhausted. My total number of steps yesterday was 10,496. Last Wednesday, I walked 13, 435 steps. Why? This totally shocked me.

Well, I have a couple of things going for me:
1. Time. Ellie is home. Tom wants a new job. He does not want me to go out and get a job which would interfere with his getting and keeping a job. He wants me to wait until Ellie is in college next year. Makes sense. I am definitely not able to make what he wants. Ellie is easy, but Ellie does take some time. We are done with the college search, but she needs rides and things come up like she got her wisdom teeth out on Friday. Katie is in Spain. My mother is now set in her apartment in a Continuing Care Retirement Community. I am bored stiff. I am at loose ends, not knowing what to do beyond cooking, cleaning, and taking care of Ellie. We are dogsitting this week. Not a big deal. I am still bored beyond belief. Volunteering seems like filler, and my hearing loss is keeping me from doing that. How much can I watch of the political dysfunction?

2. Value. There is no doubt it would be valuable for me to get into shape. I made some progress with losing weight by fasting, but I don't think I can consistently do any more than I am already doing. How do I improve my health? Maybe a focus on exercise is better. After all, it may be a pain to walk 2.5 miles today but it is achievable. I don't see dieting as achievable.

3. Pleasure. What can outweigh the pain of walking in the rain or the snow and pushing myself? The Camino would be a goal so pleasurable it might actually be worth the effort.

We are blessed beyond measure. Tom has two solid options for work in the works, and he has a job now. We have no debt, including no mortgage or car payments. We do have two somewhat immature kids but none with big problems.

Maybe this period of time is the period of time I have been granted to get myself on a path to great health. Tom and I were talking yesterday and agreed that our greatest failing as parents has been to not get our kids active. They are too old for us to lead them, but we can model a change in behavior to inspire them.

Tommy has a friend who is training to be a physical therapist, and it is obvious that he has been working out since he got back to school. He was home last weekend to attend the last Twins games of the season.

Maybe the best thing I can do as a parent right now is to model good health habits. I sure have gone a long way towards being a better cook, but now is a good time to work on a more vigorous workout routine, and having the goal of the Camino is a good carrot for me. I would love it. I remember studying about it back when I took a medieval history course in college.

Maybe today is a Day 1. Katie's school year ends in mid-May, and Ellie's graduation is June 6. Tommy will no doubt be living at home then, so my time to go on the Camino would be in that window of time. Tommy can hold down the fort if Tom is traveling for work.

Day 2 – Tuesday, October 9, 2018: 214.6
I remember reading that the most frequent change in habit made by those who lost a lot of weight and kept it off was walking. What sticks in my mind was people walked an average of 27 miles per week. Back in 2014 when I started wearing a pedometer, I averaged about 3,000 steps per day. My daily average has increased. Last month, I counted 239,861 steps or about 7,995 steps. My battery died so I did not record September 4 and 5. The average without those two days was 8,566.

I just took the dogs for a 2 1/2 mile walk, and the steps from start to finish were about 6,800 steps. Maybe all I need to do is walk more, a lot more.

I will hold constant my 12 - 7 PM eating window. The only other change I am making for health is to try different strengthening exercises to improve hearing, but I am certainly not settled on what I am doing and have not seen any improvement.

Katie made it to St. James Compestello. It is inspiring. She carried her smartphone with the pedometer app open, and her longest day was 42,000 steps. I got at high as 16,000 steps one day last week. I have a long way to go in preparing for that trip if it comes to be.

Day 5 – Friday, October 12, 2018: 215.2
Two days ago, I had a large Dove milk chocolate bar. It tasted off. I thought it might be stale. Yesterday, I had a large Godiva chocolate bar. It tasted almost like plastic. Could it be I no longer like the taste of milk chocolate? I used to love Dove chocolates. The chocolates are now being sold in packages only at a much higher price, and I bought some and thought they were not worth it.

It seems odd, but I think lpearlmom gave me a clue as to why tastes change. Your body learns to prefer fat as a source of fuel. This also is why fasting ends up not being at all difficult since there is plenty of fat to access!

Katie made it to St. James Compestello yesterday and is buying me a sterling silver pendant today. I think it would be good if I could take her on the Sarria to Compestello leg of the trip, which is about 70 miles walking. It would be good for us to be together, and it would motivate me to walk a lot in preparation for the trip. I am going to walk 5 miles tomorrow and see how I do. Today is just 2.5 miles.

Day 6 – Saturday, October 13, 2018: 214.6
How embarrassing. I picked up Ellie from the bus stop at 3 and promptly went to bed, sleeping until almost 7. Today I walked 2.5 miles. Tom suggested I not walk at all, but I told him my pride is hurt. I cannot believe how difficult it was for me to walk just 2.5 miles. We went for a walk together. He does not seem to have difficulty.

Day 7 – Sunday, October 14, 2018: 215.4
I am in shock. I walked 2 1/2 miles yesterday and was exhausted. Tom is amused. He said that people are good at deceiving themselves. I thought I was in decent shape despite my weight. Wrong. I'm in terrible shape. How could it be so hard to walk 2 1/2 miles? I walked 7 times in the last 8 days. Going forward, I am going to walk 2 1/2 miles 5 times a week until I get used to it. Tom suggested yesterday I give it a rest and not walk, but I had planned to walk on Saturday and it hurt my pride that I would not.

Another medical myth exposed: it matters if you walk all at once or over the course of a day. I have walked throughout the day, but that is not the same as walking all at once.

Day 8 – Monday, October 15, 2018: 213.4
Yesterday I just lounged around. Tom went to the Vikings game with his brothers, and Ellie worked on her college application, and I did nothing but rest. I did not even take the dog for a walk around the block.

Today I feel better. I did fast walking 3 minutes and will do the 2 1/2 mile walk.

I also am encouraged by my efforts to improve my hearing. Last week, I could barely hear a sound that I have not heard since May. This morning, I could clearly hear it. While I did scout and find a hearing aid provider, I am going to give three months to this Josh-created program. Kayla, my personal trainer, is great, but it was Tommy's friend Josh, who is interning in physical therapy, who gave me a real boost with some new exercises and the feedback that my idea of posture affecting hearing as not being totally crazy.

I believe my appetite is being affected by the walking. Today I am going to make split pea soup because the thought of a pasta meal (Ellie's request) is totally unappealing. Tom and Ellie get the pasta; I get the split pea soup. It occurred to me last night during church that all my body wants is to be satisfied. Not stuffed. Satisfied. My body needs the confidence that it will be fed in order to want only to be satisfied.

Day 12 – Friday, October 19, 2018: 213.4
I had a very sudden change in plans. My height has gone from Anne's height (5'6 1/4") to Ellie's height (5'4 3/4") in just a few years. I knew it was coming. There has been significant height loss in female relatives on both my father and my mother's side of the family. Of course, I am blessed to have a mother still above ground at 92 and an aunt still above ground at 95. Fasting is supposed to make height loss worse.

I still think simplicity is the key and decided to record what I eat but not in a way that is so intrusive as to be impractical. Tom and I went to Chick Fil A two nights ago, and I ordered a Cobb salad. Instead of listing every ingredient, I simply wrote "Chick Fil A Cobb salad."

I decided to categorize what I eat by B (breakfast), L (lunch), D (dinner), and S(snack). What did I find in less than 48 hours? I snack constantly.

This brings me back, awkwardly, to the concept of NoS which is to avoid snacking.

A very good thing to come of fasting was the change in my taste. I really don't like sweets much anymore.

Day 13 – Saturday, October 20, 2018: 212.6
Maybe there's a reason I stayed on the No S website all these years. Having to write down what I eat is a pain, so I am less inclined to snack.

I started writing down what I eat at 3 PM on October 17th, so that should be my Day 1. The first food I ate was a banana which I ate almost without thought until I realized that I needed to write down that I ate it.

Day 5 – Sunday, October 21, 2018:
Day 6 – Monday, October 22, 2018:
Day 7 – Tuesday, October 23, 2018:
Day 8 – Wednesday, October 24, 2018:
Day 9 – Thursday, October 25, 2018:
Day 10 – Friday, October 26, 2018:
Day 11 – Saturday, October 27, 2018:
Day 12 – Sunday, October 28, 2018:
Day 13 – Monday, October 29, 2018:
Day 14 – Tuesday, October 30, 2018:
Day 15 – Wednesday, October 31, 2018:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: